The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shelvey An Absolute Steal – Could Become Newcastle Legend

7:07 am, Thursday, January 14th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

It turns out that Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot is a close pal of new arrival Jonjo Shelvey, from their time together at Charlton Athletic when they were both at the club from 2004 to 2010 – when Shelvey left to join Liverpool and Rob joined Newcastle one year later.

Rob is now making a name for himself deputizing for the injured Tim Krul and he has been a standout for Newcastle so far this season, with some excellent displays and he´s also become one of the leaders of the team both on and off the field.

jonj shelvey

Jonjo Shelvey – an absolute steal at £12M?

Rob says Jonjo was very keen to sign on at the Magpies and it didn´t take much persuasion from him to have Jonjo want to come to Newcastle:

This is what Rob has said in the Chronicle today:

“I told him what it was like here, but he wanted to come here anyway because he wanted to come to the biggest club.”

“I think that says it all, who we are as well. The fans are going to love seeing him play.”

“I can’t believe we signed him for the money we have paid. He could prove to be an absolute steal and he could be a legend here.”

“He is just 23-years-old and has his best years in front of him.” “So that shows what he thinks of Newcastle as a club and what he thinks of the stadium. He said to me he thought Newcastle was a big club.”

“No matter what the outside world thinks of Newcastle you should come here and see the passion of 50,000.”

“He watched his first game from the stands against Man United. Why wouldn’t you want to play for Newcastle?”

“So hopefully, it will be great for everybody moving forward.”

“We have Jonjo coming into to add quality to midfield. We can only expect good things. He’s class.”

“To put it into perspective he came into our team at 16-years-old at Charlton, and you’d have thought he was 28. I am so excited he’s signed. He’s not only a great lad but he’s a winner.”

“OK, he might go over the top a little bit but that’s what the fans love. He just wants to play. He had a lot of options to go to clubs.”

“He has a pure desire to play football and doesn’t care about anything else. So he will fit in really well up here, the fans will love him.”

“The only thing I’d say is that he’s still 23 so it could be a bit of patience with him.”  “All players need time. Hopefully, he settles in straight away. He’s a top man.”

OK, so Rob thinks Jonjo is a special talent but the Newcastle goalkeeper can also help the player settle quickly at the club.

Shelvey has an immediate chance to form a bond with Newcastle fans, because if he can come in and play well for us through the rest of the season and help save us from relegation – that would immediately put him in very good stead with the fans.

We are now second bottom of the league after Sunderland beat Swansea City 4-2 last night, so we have to start picking up some wins soon.

Jonjo hopefully can help us do that.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Rob Elliot

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 firebug666 // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:15 AM

Yep that 1 vote is me, I think we will win against West Ham, especially if we play anything like we did V’s Manure.

2-0 to TOON!

• 2 LGFUAD21 // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:17 AM

On de Jong.

It sadly looks like his time is up.

Someone said yesterday “why do some people on here seem to love him”

My opinion is that I just don’t think he’s been given a fair chance. I watched a lot of dutch football and was always very interested in de Jong from when we were first linked with luuk years back (as I’d always heard siem was the better player) and he was a fantastic player at ajax.

It’s a shame that there just doesn’t seem to be a place for him i the team.

I think the same can be said about thauvin. He’s not been given a decent run. Although his signing impressed me less than de jongs (when I say less I mean not at all).

I don’t think you can rightly judge players without at least 10 starts bare minimum.

• 3 optimistic prime // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Beautiful morning, where’s the striker?

• 4 LGFUAD21 // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:20 AM

I hate to say but I think we. Are doomed if we don’t beat West Ham. I. Also worried as Bilic seems a very astute manager. Impressed how he navigated West Ham through the winter schedule.

I literally cannot call our games though. I expected a thrashing against arsenal. I predicted a win against manure. More so than ever are we inconsistent this season but worse we don’t seem to have luck on our side.

• 5 SA Toon // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:22 AM

We really do need a win. The last few weeks we have played some really good football without getting any points, but the lads will hopefully kick on from the fighting draw on Tuesday night. The bottom of the table is becoming quite flat, so if we can start picking up some points we should be able to claw our way up the table quite quickly. I’m excited to see Shelvey play, but I hope we don’t make too many changes to the team as that could disrupt the momentum. I’m also keen to see what we’ve got in Saivet, but maybe he needs some time on the bench to acclimatise to the EPL.

• 6 firebug666 // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:25 AM

100% agree, I said the other day that you cannot judge a player who maybe gets 10 minutes a game as it takes that long just to get up to speed. Then if the system is changing with the sub, all the players drop a little as they settle into the new system.

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Morning Ron…I am not even sure Charnley has noticed somebody at the club has purchased two players!

• 8 SA Toon // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:28 AM

@LGFUAD21 I agree on De Jong.. I would really like to see him get a proper chance. I think he’s one of those intelligent players who sometimes goes unnoticed, but who puts in some clever touches and gets the game moving. We’ve got plenty of skilful ball carriers (Gini, Sissoko, Perez), but sometimes I think we miss that player who has vision and can put other players away. I would hate to see him leave without giving him a proper chance.

• 9 firebug666 // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:30 AM

LGFUAD21 @4

I think the players may have the bit between their teeth at last, and are now fighting for survival. We are a dangerous team on the break, just need them damn goals, but I have a feeling we will start to get them.

Other teams will be wary of us after the Manure performance, and that may be enough to give us a slight edge.

I don’t vote win very often, but I think we will have this one.

• 10 Ron Knee // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:31 AM

Somebody has been buying players behind his back!

• 11 Spoof // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:31 AM

I’ve already made my mind up about Thauvin, when you have an old fashioned number nine like Mitrovic and a winger who can deliver a ball with as much quality as Thauvin can ( and has already) then he should be a first team regular, Mitro isn’t going to get those quality crosses if Thauvin is sitting on his arse keeping the bench warm.

Granted he may still need to adjust a bit but he has quality, and plenty of it.

• 12 Lindisfarne // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:41 AM

Team for West Ham, 532:

• 13 SA Toon // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM

@ Spoof If we could just get some points and start climbing the table, I think that would give us the freedom to experiment a bit more. In the situation we are currently in, and with a team that seems to be coming right, it’s much harder to take chances on players. But I agree Thauvin has talent and have no doubt that he will eventually come good for us if he gets the chance to build his confidence. Talking about confidence, I’m excited to see Mitro on Saturday cause he’s full of it now!

• 14 Harley // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM

I’ve not checked the fixture list but if we can go on a good run and get 4 or 5 wins from the next 6 or 7 games (which we are more than capable of) we will be comfortably in mid table looking ahead of us for the last 3rd of the season.
    Hopefully these 2 signings and the Man U game has given everyone a shot in the arm.
    A top striker would have everyone doing summersaults.

• 15 sing in the corner // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:45 AM

Bit disappointed with Shearer. He’s really warming to this stating-the-bleeding-obvious punditry gig. Don’t think these comments are going to be helpful to Shelvey or the Newcastle cause at all. It’s a shame he didn’t use his media profile to speak out about the Ashley policy / regime less than a year ago when the club, the fans needed him to.

• 16 mindshaft // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Shelvey can be great on his day, Schteve just needs to get more of those days out of him.

Think Thauvin and DeJongs time is up, like others on here it’s difficult to judge them based on playing time – Thought DeJong has looked decent when he’s had enough minutes and you can see Thauvin has potential ( not worth 13 million though) but it looks like he won’t get the chance to show it

• 17 will die for the toon army // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:51 AM

I still have hope for Thauvin but i have given up on De Jong.

• 18 hibbitt // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:51 AM

big IF harley

• 19 will die for the toon army // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM

If we sign a new striker and Winger. De Jong will b down the pecking order and with counter attacking football he jst cant handle it.

• 20 Spoof // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:57 AM

SA Toon

Would it be that much of a gamble though, for a while we have played two up front and as much as I like Perez he hasn’t really taken advantage of Mitro’s hold up play, leave Perez out and have Sissoko and Thauvin on either side of Gini and we would also get the best from Gini as well as he loves to make those runs into the box, assuming Shelvey will play from a deep lying position with either Tiote/Colback or Saviet alongside him then for me we would have more going forward due to Shelvey trying to push us up the park and as we have seen all season we are better when on the front foot, so I don’t really see it as a huge gamble, and as we saw against Spurs, Perez can be a very effective game changer as a sub if needed.

Just a view mind, no doubt we will all have different sides and approaches, but it’s good fun playing the manager lol

• 21 The overrated Frenchman // Jan 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM

I really believe that a better manager would be getting more from De Jong and Perez – maybe even Thauvin. McClaren has shown no capacity to think outside the square and try different tactics with his attacking players. So Perez runs around willingly but aimlessly and De Jong and Thauvin get five minutes at the end. Mitrovic is also being stifled because he constantly has his back to the goal the way we play. I remember Shearer saying “put the ball in front of me and I’ll score”. I’ll bet Mitrovic thinks the same. Most of the chances he gets are really half chances. It’s not all down to McClaren because he has inherited a dysfunctional squad, assembled by the patently incompetent Charnley and Carr combination, but he must take his fair share of the blame for the disaster that is this season so far.

• 22 Premiership Manager // Jan 14, 2016 at 12:44 PM

De Jong should have fit straight into the team, he’s not young, he’s experienced and he has the technical ability. Does he have the heart, desire or commitment, from what I’ve seen, if the ball isn’t played to his feet he’s not willing to chase it and for that and the chances he’s had he needs to go.

As for Thauvin he needs time to adjust as he has class and ability, it just needs a little bit of patience and for him increase his strength and stamina for the rigors of the EPL.

Perez is one of the best players on our books but he needs a defined role preferably playing in a 4-3-3 formation alongside Wijnaldum and Mitro or playing in the hole in a 4-4-1-1 formation, if it’s 4-4-2 Maclaren needs to decide whether Perez or Wijnaldum is best placed to support Mitro but one thing is for sure we need to keep Perez playing otherwise he will never reach his full potential.

Maclaren may have made a slow start but the play is improving and we just need a few results but it’s going to be a long season where mid table would be a good result. The important part is just to stay up.

• 23 beefman13 // Jan 14, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Elliot Janmatt Dummett Colo Mbemba Sissoko Saivet Shelvey
    Perez Wijnaldum Mitrovic

433 job done, at home at least.

previous post: Shearer – The Jury Is Out On Newcastle’s New Signing