Jonjo Shelvey Takes Good Advice From Alan Shearer

It seems that Jonjo Shelvey, Newcastle’s  new central midfielder signing agrees with what Alan Shearer – that the penny has to drop for Jonjo at Newcastle and he needs to buckle down to playing football.

Shearer had questioned Jonjo’s attitude and it seems that the former Charlton, Liverpool and Swansea player has taken that to heart.

jonjo shelvey

Jonjo Shelvey – Newcastle’s new signing

It would not be bad at all if Jonjo follows Alan’s advice.

This is some of what Alan had said earlier in the week:

“The one thing I would question: Swansea are in a desperate position in the Premier League as are Newcastle. Why would Swansea let an England international go to one of their relegation rivals?

“You would have to say, there has to be something wrong with his attitude.”

“If Steve McClaren can get the best out of him – many managers have tried and failed to do that – if McClaren can change all that, and it’s always an if, then he will be a good buy but I think the jury has to remain out on him.”

“At his age, surely the penny has to drop.”  “We all keep saying he’s got ability, which he has, but eventually for him, the penny has to drop.”

“You get a chance in football and you have to take it. He’s had two or three – he has to understand that he will not get a bigger opportunity than he has now at Newcastle.”

“He’s been at Liverpool, he’s been at Swansea. He’s now at a huge football club where the fans will adore him. He hasn’t got another opportunity after this. He has to do it here.”

Both Jonjo and Henri Saivet held a press conference for the media today and this is some of what Shelvey had to say – which seems in response to Alan’s comments:

“It’s down to me now. The penny has got to drop now and I need to press on. I’ve been at Liverpool and I put Newcastle in that category”

“I’m a very fortunate boy to be here at a massive club. I’m lucky to find a club in Newcastle that have faith in me.”

“It’s a very passionate city and I can’t wait to get started. I never asked to leave Swansea but I needed a new challenge.”

There’s no doubt the Newcastle fans would love Shelvey to become an instant hero this season, because it would mean we save ourselves from relegation.

So the stage is set for Jonjo to become a real hero at Newcastle United.

We hope that happens and he takes his opportunity.

What do you think?

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:27 PM

repost:
    am i the only one that think 1 lucky goal from dummet does not mask his defensive liabilities???

Dummy OUT
    Mbabu IN

BTW, i know its been said before, but woth repeating… selling TIOTE for 8M??? deal of the window, hands down!

• hibbitt

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM

repost
    taco
    roshan magpie posted that Mbabu is out injured and it could be for weeks……….not sure were he got the information from

• Jib

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:31 PM

16 April 2016
    Swansea City at home
    mark it in your diaries !!!

• hibbitt

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM

taco
    that lucky goal as you put it got us a much needed point

• AncientC

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM

What’s with the picture of Shelvey hanging around in the boot room – his shadow hanging over an empty hanger.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Hibbitt
    Nowt about Mbambu but physioroom.com are reporting that Dummet is out with a hamstring injury

• dazzler

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Agent 47 has killed one of our footballers and assumed his identity!

• nut meg

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Charley
    look @ 3 for Mbabu

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Shelvey’s gonna score a debut belter tomorrow!

• nut meg

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:52 PM

SDJ taken to hospital with after poke in the eye.

• Toonces

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Very unfortunate about Mbabu. He has reportedly done well in his appearances and it would seem that he is good at defending. If Mbabu was healthy I would start him before Dummett at left back. I am not a huge fan of Dummett as an overall footballer, but he has heart and he hustles and he goal was most welcome especially after his bad luck for the Rooney goal. He is a good squad member but probably shouldn’t be an every game first choice. I think that he has done better in the last few games but he does lack pace and he tends to back off too much to try and compensate for it. He does seem to time his tackles pretty well but not when he is beaten for lack of pace. Against ManU he did OK against Martial but he couldn’t stop Young from making crosses. However, he had a long time off with injury and maybe he is starting to get more confidence with each game. My biggest issue with him though is that he is by far too left footed. He won’t play the ball with his right foot. He seems to only use it to help him when making a challenge. If he could develop his right more he would improve greatly as a player.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Magscar – boohoo boohooo.
    Withdraw your allegations or I’ll report you to Ed.

I can assure you I won’t be withdawing any allegations. I appreciate the notice of your communication with Ed – it will allow me time to “collect” your posts having a snipe/dig at me and produce them in my defence.
    Very decent of you old chap.

Let battle commence.
    Boohoo boohoo I’ll report you to Ed. You cannot make it up.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:55 PM

So if Mbabu is injured we basically have no fullback cover at all what a disaster our squad is our back up is rarely fit so we never know if they can do a job !

• Rotonda heights

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM

corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Rotonda

Townsend is a England international he cant get in at spurs because they have Lamela Erickson Alli Dembele Chadli and more all gunning for places in the attacking mid positions. Anyone can look at stats and say this guys awfull that guys fantastic but if you watch him he is a good player. Also he doesnt get in at spurs because of a rift eith the fitness coach not because he is a bsd player. He was playing well for england a few months ago with loads of people raving about him. I would be over the moon if he joined
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

5 things that stand out to me from that

1) He is deeemed not to be as good as all those players listed ahead of him

2) Do you really have to be outstanding to play for England these days.

3) England were playing in a very weak group

4) Why is he having an argument with the fitness coach

5) How can you say stats don’t prove anything when the evidence is overwhelming.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:01 PM

is ian toon magscar? remarkably similar writing patterns.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:04 PM

our fitness /medical people are beyond a joke.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Rotonda – careful or he’ll be reporting you as well to Ed.

Oops nearly forgot – got to get the obligatory boohoo in.
    Boohoo boohoo.

• SuperShearer

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM

@Mister Tuff, I don’t know what your grievance with Magscar is but let it go. The petty snipping between fans on here is becoming seriously tiring. By all means disagree with someone but don’t stoop to the level of name calling and then intentionally trying to aggravate as it looks like you are doing. Rise it above it mate, life’s too short.

• hibbitt

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:13 PM

so is that dumett and mbabu both out looks like colback is the new LB

• corkypants

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Rotonda

1) I dont think stats are totally useless, Just not as important as how the guy actually plays, Brentfords chairman this year made the manager pick his team solely based on stats guess what he got potted and brentford struggled. If it was all about stats and numbers carol vordaman would be in charge of Man United its not football manager even though i love that game lol.

2. I definetly think you have to be of a decent level to play for England we are not Scotland are we

3.Playing in a weak group doesnt alter the fact that he had been chosen from a hood pool of Englisg players also you can only beat who is in front of you and he did perform very well

4.Every manager has preferences regarding players clearley pochetino doesnt rate him but there are a lot of prem teams interested

5.And i dont know why he is arguing with the fitness coach i wasnt there i was just stating why he wasnt playing at spurs.

• magscar

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Mister Tuff

My point is simply that you are claiming I am Ian Toon or vice versa. I have pointed out in strong terms that I am not he. Our previous dialogues tiresome as you are have been borne and addressed as befits their tone. I have no hard feelings on those exchanges and have never had nor now have any intention of running to Ed on those as I am happy to defend my corner with you as any other blogger wearisome as I find the exchanges.

Are you so wrapped up in your own delusion of blog champion that you cannot grasp that a genuine poster would be correctly aggrieved to be labelled as someone else particularly one who has been the subject of several such claims already – IanToon that is. Other bloggers have joined in frequent ridiculing of said poster and I am not and have no intention of defending him – that is his place.

However I do not wish my good name to be trashed by your direct labeling of me as another poster no matter what his pedigree. Can’t you see the point?

I am again simply asking you to withdraw the claim and apologise so I can continue to post in my name and no one else’s – surely not unreasonable. Your hard man response does you and the spirit of this blog no good whatsoever.

I again ask you to show me proper consideration and either put up evidence of your spurious claim or withdraw and apologise. I thought for some time about my post to you as I am not a tittle tattle by nature but cannot let your mislabeling of me on a public blog pass unchecked.

• Wayayman

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Come on lads, we’ve had a pretty decent last few days where this football blog has most people posting about football related matters. It’s amazing that there are young kids reading this blog (my son is one of them) who are too scared to post anything because they see supposed adults bullying anyone who they take a dislike to.
    Can we leave the egotistical crap out of this blog? The amazing thing with the Internet is the ability to make petty minded, juvenile, intolerant people turn into keyboard warriors.

• will die for the toon army

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Mcca should buy wat he needs

• belgrade fan

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM

soccer sauce will have update about us very soon, posted 40 mins ago

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Magscar

It’s a common tactic used by a feminine minded few that like to cause drama and bitch, when encountering somebody that doesn’t cosy up to them and their opinions.

• Bobbybee

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Saivet has been rated as possibly the best DM in France this season. To me the most important of his stats is that 91% of his passes are forward, not sideways or backwards. How many times have we heard complaints about Anita and Colback failing to move the ball forwards quickly enough? His forward passes beat theirs combined. His stats for winning duels, both in the air and on the ground are very high, as are his interceptions. Many pundits in the know are saying he could be the best signing this window at a bargain price. How often do you read of a player as having no discernible weaknesses? Saivet and Shelvey could be our next Tiote and Cabaye partnership. They will combine to make us very quick on the break. I’d like to see them both start tomorrow personally.

• magscar

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Rotonda

Thanks for reinforcing my point however unwittingly or unintended. No I am not Ian Toon and as far as I am concerned do not resemble his blog style.

Previously some one speculated that I was like the late Jimmy Magpie and I responded but as this was simply speculation and not a claim it passed in the moment without the need for any further action and I perceived no malice.

Mister Tuff has simply gone on long enough with his ridiculous labeling of multiples and I am not prepared to accept it in my case

I am awaiting all right thinking posters to acknowledge that they too would be aggrieved at being labeled as someone else even if they did not feel strongly enough to approach Ed but not holding my breath. I am happy for Mister Tuff to make the clarification I am entitled to and leave but he has to carry on his infintile behaviour.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Ian Toon is aliased up to the hilt, pretty sure magscar is not one of them, he spells your instead of you’re correctly, one of Normans give aways !

• nightfa11

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:36 PM

The fact that townsend is international doesnt mean much..if england manager would be pep or Mourinh etc it would be another matter.. But you have a manager I rate as “highly” as I rate pardew..

• nut meg

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Bobby
    first things first.
    It’s good to see you back,i hope the pain eases up soon.Keep your chin & your spirits up bonnie lad.
    Shelvey & Saivet could well bring the best out of Thauvan .Shelvey nearly always moves the forward & quickly,doesn’t dwell on the ball giving the receiver that extra yard or so before getting closed down.If Saivet does something similar good things could happen.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:39 PM

I like the signings….

Step in the right direction for Ashley. Getting rid of Thauvin soon I hope – great.

Selling Tiote for 8m – Worlds biggest steal.

And now the biggest 100m dollar question….

WHEEEREEEEEEEE THEEEE FFFFFF IS OURRR NEW CB???????????????????

Sorry caps.

• Jib

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM

They way I see it going is this :-
    Anita is out for a while anyway but he and Colback are going to be in contention for the left back spot with Dummett moving infield as another CD.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Still desperately required.

CB, LB, ST, Replacement RW/LW.

• magscar

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM

JFA
    Thank you we have exchanged views many times mostly disagreeing but I sincerely appreciate your clarification and I think you get why I am annoyed at the label as although I have no axe to grind with IanToon

• belgrade fan

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:46 PM

gorgo

A levi bek??

• Bobbybee

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Why would anybody seriously post as more than one person? You would need to be desperate to get your point supported and magscar doesn’t strike me as that person. His posts are generally football related and not confrontational. Fair enough people sometimes enjoy winding others up on here, but you need to know where to draw the line. Nobody wants to see anybody sanctioned after all.

• Bambams

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:50 PM

SSN stating mackems are after Andre Ayew from Swansea

• magscar

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Wayayman

I share your concerns re bullying of posters and that is partly why I am defending my name here. You may not realise that IanToon is regularly ridiculed on here as a mutiple and I honestly don’t know whether he is or not but I can’t see why I should expect to be labeled as him( maliciously in my view) and ignore it.

The gratuitous swearing on here is another issue for me as I have a grandson who would
    like to look at blog but I don’t let him. Old fashioned I know in these days but these days of Facebook Twitter etc it seems idiots can do whatever that please without caring for it’s impact. Don’t feel it would do any good to complain though.