The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Jonjo Shelvey Takes Good Advice From Alan Shearer

3:24 pm, Friday, January 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 126 Comments

It seems that Jonjo Shelvey, Newcastle’s  new central midfielder signing agrees with what Alan Shearer – that the penny has to drop for Jonjo at Newcastle and he needs to buckle down to playing football.

Shearer had questioned Jonjo’s attitude and it seems that the former Charlton, Liverpool and Swansea player has taken that to heart.

jonjo shelvey

Jonjo Shelvey – Newcastle’s new signing

It would not be bad at all if Jonjo follows Alan’s advice.

This is some of what Alan had said earlier in the week:

“The one thing I would question: Swansea are in a desperate position in the Premier League as are Newcastle. Why would Swansea let an England international go to one of their relegation rivals?

“You would have to say, there has to be something wrong with his attitude.”

“If Steve McClaren can get the best out of him – many managers have tried and failed to do that – if McClaren can change all that, and it’s always an if, then he will be a good buy but I think the jury has to remain out on him.”

“At his age, surely the penny has to drop.”  “We all keep saying he’s got ability, which he has, but eventually for him, the penny has to drop.”

“You get a chance in football and you have to take it. He’s had two or three – he has to understand that he will not get a bigger opportunity than he has now at Newcastle.”

“He’s been at Liverpool, he’s been at Swansea. He’s now at a huge football club where the fans will adore him. He hasn’t got another opportunity after this. He has to do it here.”

Both Jonjo and Henri Saivet held a press conference for the media today and this is some of what Shelvey had to say – which seems in response to Alan’s comments:

“It’s down to me now. The penny has got to drop now and I need to press on. I’ve been at Liverpool and I put Newcastle in that category”

“I’m a very fortunate boy to be here at a massive club. I’m lucky to find a club in Newcastle that have faith in me.”

“It’s a very passionate city and I can’t wait to get started. I never asked to leave Swansea but I needed a new challenge.”

There’s no doubt the Newcastle fans would love Shelvey to become an instant hero this season, because it would mean we save ourselves from relegation.

So the stage is set for Jonjo to become a real hero at Newcastle United.

We hope that happens and he takes his opportunity.

What do you think?

Tags: Henri Saivet · Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference

126 responses so far ↓

• 1 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:27 PM

am i the only one that think 1 lucky goal from dummet does not mask his defensive liabilities???

Dummy OUT
    Mbabu IN

BTW, i know its been said before, but woth repeating… selling TIOTE for 8M??? deal of the window, hands down!

• 2 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM

roshan magpie posted that Mbabu is out injured and it could be for weeks……….not sure were he got the information from

• 3 nut meg // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM

It’s here in the chronicle.

• 4 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:31 PM

16 April 2016
    Swansea City at home
    mark it in your diaries !!!

• 5 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM

that lucky goal as you put it got us a much needed point

• 6 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM

What’s with the picture of Shelvey hanging around in the boot room – his shadow hanging over an empty hanger.

• 7 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Nowt about Mbambu but are reporting that Dummet is out with a hamstring injury

• 8 dazzler // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Agent 47 has killed one of our footballers and assumed his identity!

• 9 nut meg // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:48 PM

look @ 3 for Mbabu

• 10 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Shelvey’s gonna score a debut belter tomorrow!

• 11 nut meg // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:52 PM

SDJ taken to hospital with after poke in the eye.

• 12 Toonces // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Very unfortunate about Mbabu. He has reportedly done well in his appearances and it would seem that he is good at defending. If Mbabu was healthy I would start him before Dummett at left back. I am not a huge fan of Dummett as an overall footballer, but he has heart and he hustles and he goal was most welcome especially after his bad luck for the Rooney goal. He is a good squad member but probably shouldn’t be an every game first choice. I think that he has done better in the last few games but he does lack pace and he tends to back off too much to try and compensate for it. He does seem to time his tackles pretty well but not when he is beaten for lack of pace. Against ManU he did OK against Martial but he couldn’t stop Young from making crosses. However, he had a long time off with injury and maybe he is starting to get more confidence with each game. My biggest issue with him though is that he is by far too left footed. He won’t play the ball with his right foot. He seems to only use it to help him when making a challenge. If he could develop his right more he would improve greatly as a player.

• 13 Mister Tuff // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Magscar – boohoo boohooo.
    Withdraw your allegations or I’ll report you to Ed.

I can assure you I won’t be withdawing any allegations. I appreciate the notice of your communication with Ed – it will allow me time to “collect” your posts having a snipe/dig at me and produce them in my defence.
    Very decent of you old chap.

Let battle commence.
    Boohoo boohoo I’ll report you to Ed. You cannot make it up.

• 14 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:55 PM

So if Mbabu is injured we basically have no fullback cover at all what a disaster our squad is our back up is rarely fit so we never know if they can do a job !

• 15 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM

corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Townsend is a England international he cant get in at spurs because they have Lamela Erickson Alli Dembele Chadli and more all gunning for places in the attacking mid positions. Anyone can look at stats and say this guys awfull that guys fantastic but if you watch him he is a good player. Also he doesnt get in at spurs because of a rift eith the fitness coach not because he is a bsd player. He was playing well for england a few months ago with loads of people raving about him. I would be over the moon if he joined
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

5 things that stand out to me from that

1) He is deeemed not to be as good as all those players listed ahead of him

2) Do you really have to be outstanding to play for England these days.

3) England were playing in a very weak group

4) Why is he having an argument with the fitness coach

5) How can you say stats don’t prove anything when the evidence is overwhelming.

• 16 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:01 PM

is ian toon magscar? remarkably similar writing patterns.

• 17 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:04 PM

our fitness /medical people are beyond a joke.

• 18 Mister Tuff // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Rotonda – careful or he’ll be reporting you as well to Ed.

Oops nearly forgot – got to get the obligatory boohoo in.
    Boohoo boohoo.

• 19 SuperShearer // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM

@Mister Tuff, I don’t know what your grievance with Magscar is but let it go. The petty snipping between fans on here is becoming seriously tiring. By all means disagree with someone but don’t stoop to the level of name calling and then intentionally trying to aggravate as it looks like you are doing. Rise it above it mate, life’s too short.

• 20 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:13 PM

so is that dumett and mbabu both out looks like colback is the new LB

• 21 corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM

1) I dont think stats are totally useless, Just not as important as how the guy actually plays, Brentfords chairman this year made the manager pick his team solely based on stats guess what he got potted and brentford struggled. If it was all about stats and numbers carol vordaman would be in charge of Man United its not football manager even though i love that game lol.

2. I definetly think you have to be of a decent level to play for England we are not Scotland are we

3.Playing in a weak group doesnt alter the fact that he had been chosen from a hood pool of Englisg players also you can only beat who is in front of you and he did perform very well

4.Every manager has preferences regarding players clearley pochetino doesnt rate him but there are a lot of prem teams interested

5.And i dont know why he is arguing with the fitness coach i wasnt there i was just stating why he wasnt playing at spurs.

• 22 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Mister Tuff

My point is simply that you are claiming I am Ian Toon or vice versa. I have pointed out in strong terms that I am not he. Our previous dialogues tiresome as you are have been borne and addressed as befits their tone. I have no hard feelings on those exchanges and have never had nor now have any intention of running to Ed on those as I am happy to defend my corner with you as any other blogger wearisome as I find the exchanges.

Are you so wrapped up in your own delusion of blog champion that you cannot grasp that a genuine poster would be correctly aggrieved to be labelled as someone else particularly one who has been the subject of several such claims already – IanToon that is. Other bloggers have joined in frequent ridiculing of said poster and I am not and have no intention of defending him – that is his place.

However I do not wish my good name to be trashed by your direct labeling of me as another poster no matter what his pedigree. Can’t you see the point?

I am again simply asking you to withdraw the claim and apologise so I can continue to post in my name and no one else’s – surely not unreasonable. Your hard man response does you and the spirit of this blog no good whatsoever.

I again ask you to show me proper consideration and either put up evidence of your spurious claim or withdraw and apologise. I thought for some time about my post to you as I am not a tittle tattle by nature but cannot let your mislabeling of me on a public blog pass unchecked.

• 23 Wayayman // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Come on lads, we’ve had a pretty decent last few days where this football blog has most people posting about football related matters. It’s amazing that there are young kids reading this blog (my son is one of them) who are too scared to post anything because they see supposed adults bullying anyone who they take a dislike to.
    Can we leave the egotistical crap out of this blog? The amazing thing with the Internet is the ability to make petty minded, juvenile, intolerant people turn into keyboard warriors.

• 24 will die for the toon army // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Mcca should buy wat he needs

• 25 belgrade fan // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM

soccer sauce will have update about us very soon, posted 40 mins ago

• 26 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM

It’s a common tactic used by a feminine minded few that like to cause drama and bitch, when encountering somebody that doesn’t cosy up to them and their opinions.

• 27 Bobbybee // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Saivet has been rated as possibly the best DM in France this season. To me the most important of his stats is that 91% of his passes are forward, not sideways or backwards. How many times have we heard complaints about Anita and Colback failing to move the ball forwards quickly enough? His forward passes beat theirs combined. His stats for winning duels, both in the air and on the ground are very high, as are his interceptions. Many pundits in the know are saying he could be the best signing this window at a bargain price. How often do you read of a player as having no discernible weaknesses? Saivet and Shelvey could be our next Tiote and Cabaye partnership. They will combine to make us very quick on the break. I’d like to see them both start tomorrow personally.

• 28 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Thanks for reinforcing my point however unwittingly or unintended. No I am not Ian Toon and as far as I am concerned do not resemble his blog style.

Previously some one speculated that I was like the late Jimmy Magpie and I responded but as this was simply speculation and not a claim it passed in the moment without the need for any further action and I perceived no malice.

Mister Tuff has simply gone on long enough with his ridiculous labeling of multiples and I am not prepared to accept it in my case

I am awaiting all right thinking posters to acknowledge that they too would be aggrieved at being labeled as someone else even if they did not feel strongly enough to approach Ed but not holding my breath. I am happy for Mister Tuff to make the clarification I am entitled to and leave but he has to carry on his infintile behaviour.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Ian Toon is aliased up to the hilt, pretty sure magscar is not one of them, he spells your instead of you’re correctly, one of Normans give aways !

• 30 nightfa11 // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:36 PM

The fact that townsend is international doesnt mean much..if england manager would be pep or Mourinh etc it would be another matter.. But you have a manager I rate as “highly” as I rate pardew..

• 31 nut meg // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:36 PM

first things first.
    It’s good to see you back,i hope the pain eases up soon.Keep your chin & your spirits up bonnie lad.
    Shelvey & Saivet could well bring the best out of Thauvan .Shelvey nearly always moves the forward & quickly,doesn’t dwell on the ball giving the receiver that extra yard or so before getting closed down.If Saivet does something similar good things could happen.

• 32 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:39 PM

I like the signings….

Step in the right direction for Ashley. Getting rid of Thauvin soon I hope – great.

Selling Tiote for 8m – Worlds biggest steal.

And now the biggest 100m dollar question….

Sorry caps.

• 33 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM

They way I see it going is this :-
    Anita is out for a while anyway but he and Colback are going to be in contention for the left back spot with Dummett moving infield as another CD.

• 34 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Still desperately required.

CB, LB, ST, Replacement RW/LW.

• 35 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Thank you we have exchanged views many times mostly disagreeing but I sincerely appreciate your clarification and I think you get why I am annoyed at the label as although I have no axe to grind with IanToon

• 36 belgrade fan // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:46 PM

A levi bek??

• 37 Bobbybee // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Why would anybody seriously post as more than one person? You would need to be desperate to get your point supported and magscar doesn’t strike me as that person. His posts are generally football related and not confrontational. Fair enough people sometimes enjoy winding others up on here, but you need to know where to draw the line. Nobody wants to see anybody sanctioned after all.

• 38 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:50 PM

• 39 Bambams // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:50 PM

SSN stating mackems are after Andre Ayew from Swansea

• 40 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:51 PM

I share your concerns re bullying of posters and that is partly why I am defending my name here. You may not realise that IanToon is regularly ridiculed on here as a mutiple and I honestly don’t know whether he is or not but I can’t see why I should expect to be labeled as him( maliciously in my view) and ignore it.

The gratuitous swearing on here is another issue for me as I have a grandson who would
    like to look at blog but I don’t let him. Old fashioned I know in these days but these days of Facebook Twitter etc it seems idiots can do whatever that please without caring for it’s impact. Don’t feel it would do any good to complain though.

• 41 Mister Tuff // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Magscar – do not take pot shjots at my posts and it won’t be reciprocated.
    You cannot have it both ways.
    I will ignore you and expect it’s recipricated.

• 42 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Yes, our LB position is very weak. Dummet for me is not the type of player we need there. Since Mbabu is injured a real pitty.

• 43 BandB // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I see you are back and embroiled in a row straight away.
    I wish Tuff would leave it. The blog has been doing fine.
    I don’t think you are one of the neckbeards and butthurt dwellers.
    But you sure do spend a lot of time siding with them.

• 44 bills-son // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:57 PM

TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Any fan who thinks Dummet is a poor defender needs an ice cold bath to bring them to their senses.

Just as any fan who thinks Jamnat is a good defender needs exactly the same treatment..

• 45 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Mister Tuff

You can take pot shots as you see fit as this is a public blog. I am happy to ignore you if that suits.

What I am simply seeking from you is a withdrawal of your contention that Iantoon is posting as me without any equivocation. There is no shame in admitting your mistake and I can continue to post as and when I see fit without defending myself against accusations of being IanToon or anyone else

• 46 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Anyone see the interview with the owner of New England patriots owner Robert Kraft.
    He said nearly bought Liverpool in 2004 when George Gillet and Tom Hicks ended up there.

He’s a real sports nut who loves winning and turned the Patriots right round . He is still a big fan of the PL.

He says he has a few irons in the fire in England ——– Hmmmmm

• 47 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Been back a few days as there are some positive things to talk about.

Your comments are as perceptive and helpful to the situation as usual. Thanks for the support.

• 48 BandB // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM

They are perceptive. And supportive.

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:08 PM

I’ve been using this blog since it started, both as only reader of articles and occasional read of posts then vice versa. Multiples are really harmful especially when they are deliberately trolling but just as bad when they are writing half decent posts then bigging themselves up and asserting their opinion under a different name. The worst of all is someone using different aliases to attack a certain poster !

• 50 Faddj // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:13 PM

I’m sorry but our fans are absolutely clueless man…

Firstly, you all think just because we’ve signed two players, they’re gunna both get put straight into the two central roles of midfield? Wake up. I don’t rate Colback in the slightest, but I can assure you, he will be in the center of the park tomorrow.

Secondly, Saivet… I’m well away in his interview, he states “I’ll be playing in the middle”, but everyone of our fans are assuming by that, that means he’s a central defensive midfielder!? Anyone who has seen him play, will tell you he is most definitely 100% not a defensive midfielder. He’s an attacking minded player, played both on the wings and in a central attacking position. He looks a similar kind of player to Sadio Mane to me. Yes, I’m confused as to why we need another CAM as we already have the likes of Gini, Sissoko, De Jong who all in my opinion are best playing through the middle, which takes me to my next point…

Thirdly, Gini, and Sissoko are not wingers!!!!!! It frustrates the life out of me when I see everyone post their line ups and have them both on the wings, they just simply aren’t wingers, I don’t even need to explain why, but they’re just not, end of.

Fourthly, anyone who rates either Colback, or Dummet, need their brains examined, I’ve had many of arguments with many fellow Geordies about this subject, and everytime I get the same response… “ah but they put a shift in though” I’m well aware, they run, they put in the effort, but for me, effort means absolutely bot all if you’re s**t at football! Stop being so “Geordie proud” and praising them for being a Geordie and putting a shift in. We need talented footballers, these two aren’t that, they’re a pair of talentless try-hards.

Fifthly, everyone keeps harping on about “GET A NEW CENTERBACK!”…. We have one, sat on our bench every bleeding week, a big, strong, young kid dying for a chance to prove himself, with many of years ahead of him, his name is Jamal Lascelles. Stop crying out for a “marquee signing” and just give what we have a chance. I keep hearing “ah he’s not experienced enough”, blah blah blah, but what about Mbemba? He’s the exact same age, and has never played in England before, yet he’s showing to me to genuinely be one of the best centerbacks I’ve seen at Newcastle in a long long time. So why not put Lascelles in there alongside Mbemba, two strong, tall young blokes, I think given the chance they’d grow into a phenomenal partnership. I can’t accept this” I know but he’s got no experience at the top level”…. Neither did Wayne Rooney when he was 16 and banged a screamer in against Arsenal! I’m not by any means comparing the two, my point is that he never will get “experience” sat on the bench every week! Throw him in at the deep end, and keep Colo on the bench for back up, I know he done well against Man U, but his best years are behind him, Lascelles best years are ahead of him!

My last point is also referring to another couple of young kids, Aarons and Mbabu, I’m my opinion, they look like the most gifted youngsters we’ve had in years, when fit, get them on the pitch!

Finally, given a fully fit squad, I’d like to give me opinion on what I think would be our strongest line up with our current roster….

—————– Krul —————–

Jaanmat — Mbemba — Lascelles — Mbabu

Elliot, Colo, Saivet, Anita, De Jong, Obertan, Toney.

Get rid of Colback, Dummet, Taylor, Willo, Gouffran, Thauvin, Cisse.

I’m personally sad to see Tiote go, as he gave me the best rush I’ve ever had in my entire life with that corker against Arsenal, but it seems inevitable that he’s off.

Sign Berahino and Townsend this month and I’ll be more than happy with our squad, just providing Steve picks the right starting 11.

I couldn’t give a monkeys chuff with anyone who disagrees with any of my views, because I know for a fine fact my Newcastle team lining up the way I’d like them to, would win alot more games than they have done this season.

Mike Ashley, if you’re reading this, I’ll take Steve’s job in a heartbeat, and I’ll except as little as 2 grand a month, and I bet you’d see a more entertaining team than we’ve seen in recent months.

Thank you, and good night.

• 51 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Really? Mister Tuff must be feeling it too.

• 52 Bobbybee // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Jail, I find it crazy that anybody should feel the need to back themselves up by pretending to be someone else. How sad is that? They need to get a life – just one life mind you! 😉
    Nut meg, tried twice to reply and both failed. Does anybody else have posts that don’t appear for no reason? Gonna try and get to the game tomorrow. Newcastle have been really helpful and moved my seat so I can join the wheelchair mafia. 😉 They’ve allowed my son to move fron level 7 so he can get me there as well. Still in agony, but figure I might as well be in agony at SJP as in agony at home watching a dodgy stream. Just hoping they can suss what’s caused this and at least slow it down. It might leave me laid up until the next home game or it might confirm I was mental to even try it! I’ll let ya know after the event. 😉
    Can’t wait to see Saivet and Shelvey link up. With Sissoko and Gini ahead of them our breaks should be lightning quick. Hope we can find a pacy striker, but they seem hard to come by. All steps in the right direction anyway.

• 53 Dennis Twice // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Attack Toon attack, attack!

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Reading your post about Saviet, wouldn’t surprise me that if someone offered 10/12M for Sissoko then he’d be gone as well !

• 55 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:27 PM

I would put the new lads straight in tomorrow from what I’ve read saivet could be great for us behind Shelvey and gini, we always seem to have a massive void in midfield let’s hope these boys sort that out straight away and get us moving forward, I’m looking forward to Shelvey smashing one from outside the box it’s one thing we never ever do, Colo is the the only one that comes to mind that has done it and that was on Tuesday night and he was t far off at all. I’ve got 6/1 on Shelvey to score anytime in a Newcastle win.

• 56 Belfast // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Well he seems eager to impress. Lets hope he gets of to a decent start, because tomorrow is a must win game in my opinion.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM

And here’s the once magical Dennis Twice, right on time !

• 58 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM

On reflection you might be the exact person to help find a way out of the impasse.

Presumably you can see that being directly labelled as another poster and ignoring it can only lead to others seeing me as that person. You know only too well the perception on here of the blogger concerned being a multiple and whether or not he is I shouldn’t be labeled as being one of his personalities.

As you seem to be one if not the only one who Tuff listens to on here a simple acknowledgement to Tuff that I have a fair point and it would be reasonable for him to withdraw (forget an apology) might encourage him to do the simple thing. Issue resolved and we can all move on.

No sarcasm just a plea for someone who could restore sanity in this situation to help. I honestly don’t want to go to Ed but I can’t accept the malicious mislabelling without defending myself.

• 59 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM

soccer sauce saying townsend all but done deal and medical this weekend

• 60 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM

The Guardian has the new boys starting !!!

• 61 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM

saivet has said he’s playing dm in a interview and thats where macca has been impressed with him…..and thats where he played this season for bordeaux….there was an article either newsnow or chronicleearlier this week… so thats straight from horses mouth….i think thats why people are saying he’s dm….coz the player himself is saying it

• 62 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM

If Townsend comes it will be sissoko to warm the bench imo

• 63 midweek weekend // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Soccer Sauce
    Understand that Andros Townsend to #NUFC is all but a done deal. Player expected to have medical this weekend

wonder if it’s a loan or perm, they might update that info shortly, been correct with everything else all things nufc

• 64 belgrade fan // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

soccer souce said Townsend done deal, to have medical this week

• 65 lesh // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM

If Townsend does sign, then the balls should start flying into the goal box. But, until we sign a decent striker, who’s gonna put the crosses into the net?

• 66 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Can’t say I am overwhelmed with signing of Townsend if true but hope to be wrong. Strange that we may have 2 PL signings in one window. Who is now driving the transfer bus?

• 67 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Henri Saivet at Benton

• 68 swemag // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Mbabu IN.

Mbabu will be world class.

Dummet not so much.

• 69 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:44 PM

one step at a time!…..we’ll be shocked to see crosses from the left!!!!lol…..ana what ya saying but hopefully this will help mitro…..and or another striker

• 70 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Don Hutchison has just tweeted that Andros Townsend is a done deal

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM

What with PC’s tablets, new phones, holiday homes, VPN addresses I’m not sure Ed can keep track of it. I’ve been not only been accused of it but blatantly been set up by, would you believe it a multiple to try and get the blog thinking I use them. I fully admit to posting as Raj of Hailsey one day in an it ain’t “alf hot mum type dialogue as a pi$$ take of what was happening, but as good as my word that I sent a £100 to the SBR foundation over that dodgy bet with toonbotherer, I’ve only ever posted under my real name back in 2007 gor a few months, then JfA after the KK constructive dismissal trial

• 72 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:47 PM

with thauvin looking like he’s on his way out the door and these players comin in…i’m assuming macca has had a lot more to do with the players comin in and thauvin was a carr buy…not maccas

• 73 Bobbybee // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    Faddj. Before insulting people and bragging about your capabilities, maybe you should read this.

• 74 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM

I am aware that the potential for multiples over various devices is straightforward enough and I am against it. I for example possess a laptop tablet smartphone and media centre but use mainly the latter.

I recall your long running dispute with Toonbrother and it seemed you were correct yet honoured your “debt” when no one could have blamed you for ignoring it.

I have tried not to get involved in running disputes over multiples but see you have been apparently trolled by one and your annoyance is understandable as I feel exactly the same at being mislabelled. I guess you are saying going to Ed would be a pointless exercise. May be but I feel it is the only avenue Tuff has left open to me.

• 75 JamesToon // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM

i do agree about your point about lascelles, i would like to see him get more game time as i think he can blossom and eventually replace colo, as he’s big and strong.

However i think your post was quite hostile, just no need to slate people and say you know it all, just respect others opinions and share yours..

Regarding Townsend, if its a permanent deal for £12m that seems like an absolute rip off, he’s done nothing really to justify that price tag bar a few performances for england, i would take him on loan till the end of the season and see what he can do, but £12m for a player thats barely played in months, has equal stats as gabriel obertan…surely ashley isn’t willing to splash the cash on that kind of player??

• 76 JamesToon // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Maybe its mcclaren’s message that we need more english players, i dunno

• 77 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Townsend on loan with option to buy is the best way to go, he has a lot to prove and with the euros coming I think he will be a good addition for us. Now get a similar deal with remy

• 78 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM

People saying Townsend is the English are a bit wide of the mark !

Townsend tracks back , puts tackles in, skins players with skill , uses his pace , hits shots and crosses into the box pretty much everything Obertan struggles with !!

Put him on the left hand side rather than the right and he will do well !!

• 79 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Strikes me even if Townsend is a done deal we haven’t really strengthened. Saveit in for Tiote. Untried untested to replace seasoned Prem player. Shelvey in (Lot of money but he’s English) hope he can do a job but then Townsend in (injured since last October & hardly figured for Spurs for some considerable time) Worrying could be another regular sick note. He comes in Thauvin wide man (paid £11M for) out the door to be replaced by Townsend (Why because he’s English.)
    Need to address LB, CF & CB positions or we go backwards. Take a chance buy Robertson from Hull & bid for Lewis Dunk at Brighton. Villa have been looking at Oba(he’s not interested in Villa) apparently banging goals in for fun for Seattle Sounders. We know him – why not talk to him. May be a short term option.

• 80 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Spot on JT 75 & agree about Fadjj was that War & Peace rant really necessary!

• 81 Bobbybee // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Townsend hasn’t played for Spurs due to an argument with a fitness coach. I don’t think anyone should write him off before seeing what he plays like for us. When on form he’s dynamite and his pace is definitely what we need. I’d like to see him deployed down the left so he can get crosses in, rather than the right where he cuts in and shoots. That would take pressure off Dummett and allow him to simply defend. Both Townsend and Shelvey are on a mission to prove their detractors wrong and that can only be good for us. Both want to be back in the England squad for the Euro’s and will be trying to prove a point.

• 82 BandB // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM

I would say the same to anyone.
    If don’t want a gunfight, don’t wear a gun.
    And if you do, you can’t complain.

There was a big thunderstorm on the blog last week. It seems to have cleared the air and I don’t think anyone will thank the people who try to take it back.
    Ignoring someone looking for a response seems a pretty effective weapon to me.

This is my last on this. I like the blog as it is now.

• 83 Sazzer // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Lascelles didn’t cost as much as Thauvin but both of them have find themselves in similar situation under McClaren.

• 84 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:25 PM

That is my reading but not sure how the transfer committee dynamic has changed. Someone has seen the light and is it simply that Carr who was reportedly involved in Mac’s recruitment is paying heed to his input as Ashley has opened up policy. Whatever it is it is a welcome and overdue development but hopefully the buys turn out fit for purpose from the off

• 85 Our Toon // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Well nice to see everyone is getting along, Magscar having issues with Tuff this time, yesterday it was me.

Anyway let’s get past this lads and concentrate on football / weekend game.

I think West Ham will be a tough game, they’ve beaten Arsenal citeh and Liverpool away this season first side to so in 60 odd years, perfectly set up on the counter. To win someone needs to do a job on Payet, Tiote did one on Ozil he’s not here now so who will step up? Anita tried it at Upton Park or whatever it’s called these days and he failed big time. Is it wrong of me to wish someone takes him out completely?

• 86 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM

McLaren has favourites
    I have favourites
    You have favourites
    BandB has favourites
    Magscar has favourites
    Mr Tuff has favourites
    The only one who sees them day after day on the training field and actually knows them personally is McClaren.

• 87 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM

So you are saying I trash other posters by claiming they are someone else. Wow never saw myself doing that.

Banter is one thing but naming a poster as being another without any evidence is not acceptable and when challenged not withdrawing unequivicably more so. I think you are well aware that Tuff and I have never seen eye to eye and each give as good as we get without a moan so far.

Never easy to get a straight answer but expected little more . No matter worth a try.

• 88 Harley // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Completely agree.

I’m a bit shocked at how many on here don’t want Townsend. He’s def not the most consistent player of his type but he’s the kind who gets bums off seats. I think the fans will love him once he gets going. Whether anyone rates him or not he’s a 100% improvement in anything we have at the moment.

Shelvey for me isn’t even a debate. The guy is pure class and I can’t believe we got him.

• 89 Our Toon // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Talks have begun for Townsend sky are reporting and mcclaren says nothing has been agreed with the Chinese club but Tiote has been allowed to go and speak to them on China, seems very odd as alot of people were reporting 8m had been accepted

• 90 Mister Tuff // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:39 PM

magscar – for the sake of blog unity I withdraw my assertion but I must make the point about your pot shots after I post – you cannot have it both ways.
    Hatchet buried.

• 91 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Our Toon

Our discussion is in no way similar to point I am making to Tuff.

I think you are intelligent enough to see that but seeking to make capital – shame you can do better.

• 92 Moonraker15 // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:43 PM

If we’ve paid 12mil for Townsend so what? We’re not in a position to call the tune and 12 million won’t break the bank as the one thing we have is money. Don’t know why some bloggers are concerned as we know what Townsend can do unlike Thauvin, Cabella, Rivi etc
    Chill out we’re spending money wisely at last and, if we got 8mil for Tiote that puts our spending into perspective.

• 93 Our Toon // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:43 PM

I was just merely pointing out another day another argument. Tuff has extended an olive branch accept it and move on.

As I said it’s a tough game this weekend so let’s discuss football

• 94 Our Toon // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM

If Townsend joins I will welcome him, hopefully he realises it’s a team game, it’s been my only issue with the lad. It’s another body to help fight off relegation though so can only be a plus point.

Amazed though that we haven’t addressed the issues at the back or a partner for mitro. If we stay in the prem it might be a quiet summer with deals concluded now being used as an excuse for bringing forward transfers

• 95 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Mister Tuff

Thank you. I didn’t want to take it further and hope no one looks to use this episode in pursuit of their particular ax to grind. It was not my intention.

I am happy to avoid contact but please don’t draw me in directly or by association in one of your general posts as I may feel it appropriate to respond you of course will feel equally free to respond where you feel I have done the same.

The shame of this is that as I posted last night(?) I have seen that you do have more to offer than just your regular digs at others.

Hatchet buried.

• 96 corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Sky sports breaking news Townsend talks confirmed
    Great news he will become a fans favorite i have a feeling

• 97 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:50 PM

The French press are saying despite Thauvin returning to France on loan , SM has included him in tomorrows squad and that we must play him at sometime because he and Payet have quite a history against each other !!!!

• 98 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM

im a little unsure on townsend tbh…..his fitness main issue and although left footed cant remember him playing on the left, and thats the position we need to strengthen if he comes in and fills the left hand roll….i will give him a chance the lad has pace which we are screaming out for so hopefully the move is good for him and gets him back on track….just a wait and see like all the others really

• 99 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I hadn’t seen Tuff’s post – give me a chance.

• 100 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Towsend will be announced tomorrow I feel just before the game to get the crowd up for it!! Perfect strategy !!

Him and Sissoko on form on both wings attacking could destroy teams on the counter attack !

Still need a striker , centre half and full back cover !!

• 101 G // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:52 PM

I quite enjoyed reading faddj’s post, I don’t agree with all of it, but a lot made sense. JL worries me a lot, I agree he needs game time, but I watched him get that at forrest, and it didnt inspire confidence. I agree thag faddj’s post was strongly worded, but didnt find it aggressive, as there were no individual name calls in it. For the record, I would keep Saviet on the bench for WHU game, chuck Shelvey in, and I would play Sissoko as DM, as thats his preferred position anyway.

• 102 SUTTY1978 // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Lets just hope Townsend does well, i get the same feeling as i did before Thauvin though and thats that hes not good enough. We’re hardly fighting off loads of teams to get him, thats because they realise thats he’s a greedy headless chicken.
    He would be a decent signing for a championship team but were not one of those yet. As with Thauvin I’ll happily eat humble pie if i’m wrong.
    To anyone saying what does it matter what we pay for him and that its harmless getting him in, well think about all the times you post lists of players that you think should be got rid of to make way for new players coming in. We will never be able to get rid of him. We may as well give Obertan a five year contract while were at it.

• 103 corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Been saying that all day Harley to anyone who will listen i agree matey

• 104 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:02 PM

so where will Andros be played? if NUFC holds true to form, hes our new CB haha…

just hope he brings fight to the team, and gets us off the bottom, where mackems dwell…

• 105 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:02 PM

i dont think sissoko has the aggression for dm and when he played for toulouse i may be wrong but thought capoue was dm and sissoko was the attack mid of the two…if he was more aggressive with his size and strength could be a brilliant dm but just dont think he has it in him tbh

• 106 JamesToon // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:03 PM

So if we end up signing Townsend, that will be £30m spent on 3 players and 2 of them are English and premier league experienced, anyone think this is a change of policy from the club? Are they gonna start listening to what the manager wants more? Or is it purely because we are in yet again another relegation dog fight

• 107 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:03 PM

So next week we could have

Janmaat mbemba Colo dummett
    Sissoko Shelvey gini Townsend

• 108 JamesToon // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Next priority is a left back and a fast striker, then possibly a decent CB.

Get Willems/Robertson/Davies in
    Along with Remy/Berahino/Gray

• 109 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM

magscar – You are clearly more coherent than ‘Ian Toon’ but there is an element of doubt, which is understandable. It may be best if you stayed out of duels if you cannot fence for yourself without threatening to bring in the ‘Ed’itor – an obvious indirect threat at getting another poster banned… completely uncalled for.

• 110 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM

i think macca is pickin the players now….seems like there been a shift in policy after thauvin…..just the way its looking from the outside anyways

• 111 Transfer Sage // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM

I think we need a right back as much as a LB.

Janmaat cannot defend and doesn’t really fancy chasing back too quick after he has bombed forward.

• 112 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:09 PM

think we’ll only get a striker…..still convinced willems in the summer

• 113 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:10 PM

On Townsend surely all in club are on the same page here. We are desperate for incoming players to hit the ground running as we can’t afford in our situation for much bedding in time.

That being the case then he must be going in on left as that is the position we have struggled to fit with Thauvin,Gini and Perez all being unsuitable for various reasons. A successful balance on left could transform team with improvements/options in centre to help.

Tomorrow’s team selection will be interesting.

• 114 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:15 PM

he can only be coming in to play on left….we’ve played every bugger out there and all have struggled….we’ve needed a aarons type there since the start of the season and every square peg we’ve tried there has struggled

• 115 SUTTY1978 // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Given a clean sheet of paper to write a list of wingers to bring in I don’t think anyone would have had Townsend anywhere near the top 20.

• 116 Sazzer // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:16 PM

I only said that they have found themselves in similar situation and haven’t really got enough chances to claim their place in the team in their natural positions.

Despite seeing Perez everyday in training it took McClarem over a month before he recognized Perez as senior player.

• 117 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:20 PM

You miss my point possibly deliberately.
    Look back at my posts over the last year and a half plenty of give and take many times fending of more than one poster. No problem with that never cried foul.

My point has been made with sufficient clarity so as to not need repetition.

Tuff and I have resolved issue to our satisfaction as you should have been aware before you dredged up matter with your untimely and unnecessary contribution

• 118 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Can we spend 50m in 2 windows running? Would make a huge difference

• 119 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Like all on here I had really high hopes for Aarons last season and there is clearly time for him to yet reach that potential we all saw.

His recent set backs do have a silver lining possibly as it may have bought us time to consider a new contract with him as for the time being the vultures circling for his signature are elsewhere for now.

• 120 lochinvar // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Perhaps McLaren’s view is that with Townsend and Sissoko causing havoc on the wings then the investment in Mitro can be realised and that no big spend on an expensive new CB is needed ?

• 121 SPRINGY // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM

i think we’ll close the deal with townsend and then we’ll try and get a striker…that will be it..anything more will be a surprise if im honest

• 122 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:30 PM

I am actually excited at the calibre of player Macca is bringing in. Townsend is the kind of winger we need electric pace, can go past defenders and a good crosser, all the things Obertan wishes he could do

• 123 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM

He played Ayoze for nearly 80 minutes in our 3rd league game of the season (22Aug 0-0 away Man U ) after his being on the bnch for the 1st two matches – that’s hardly ignoring him ( unless you’re volunteering to join the ranks of the serial whingers ).

• 124 ronaldo aarons // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM

There’s no point going for gray right now. He’s already played and scored for Brentford before moving to burnley. He cannot play for 3 teams in one season.

• 125 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:32 PM

magscar – I would be highly offended if I was confused with ‘Ian Toon’ too. Let’s just leave the webmaster out of things. Censorship leads to the death of communications.

• 126 magscar // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:43 PM

I need no admonishment from you.

I wished to leave matters as they were but you seem to want to continue on an offshoot of the original point perhaps because you have just come on and are catching up. It really isn’t helping that you feel inclined to treat us with your higher than thou approach when things have died down. Your posts may be regarded as muck stirring by some but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. If you can see your way to stop poking I think I can manage to stop barking -deal?

For others

I am sure Tuff would welcome matter being seen as done and dusted.

Let’s do as someone else said and let the footie talk carry on there is plenty to fall out about 🙂

previous post: Newcastle’s New Team For West Ham