The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Negotiating £12M Transfer Of Another Englishman

8:41 am, Friday, January 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Newcastle have done well to bring in Henri Saivet from Bordeaux and Jonjo Shelvey from Swansea in less than 24 hours for around £17M earlier this week, but we still need more players brought in with 17 days left in the transfer window which will close on February 1st this year.

And there’s good news in the Chronicle today that Newcastle are again in communication with Andros Townsend’s representatives with the recent news the winger is keen on a move to Newcastle.

Andros Townsend – keen on a move to Newcastle

So it seems we can still attract some good players to Tyneside, even through we have struggled over the last year and are now second bottom of the league.

The negotiations center on a potential £12M deal for the England International, so you cannot accuse Newcastle of not splashing the cash for a second successive transfer window.

It appears Newcastle want to sign Townsend permanently in January and not take him on loan first, and a deal may be possible if Newcastle are indeed willing to pay out the high £12M fee for the 10 times capped 24 year-old England International winger.

It seems Steve McClaren could be  winning his battle to bring in experienced English Premier League players and that’s good to see.

Andros has made it very clear he wants a move to Newcastle and he is also still keen to make the England squad for the Euro 2016 Championships in France in June.

Add to that the fact that McClaren rates Townsend highly and wants the experienced Premier League player brought in – and a deal is certainly possible.

But Newcastle cannot dilly dally this month – and they know that more than anybody.

If Newcastle do spend £12M on Townsend that would take the January spending close to £30M for three players and Andros would be a popular signing on Tyneside.

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Ed’s on a roll
    remy ‘s 29 hiddink has been told he must SELL him if he wants pato …….we don’t/won’t buy players of that age that could be remy of our list

• 2 SuperShearer // Jan 15, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Again… ANOTHER MIDFIELDER? It’s the one position we have players in. We NEED a goal-scoring striker and we NEED a new CB if either of the current two starters are injured.

There is an ignorance to the way the “Board” are recruiting players. Is McC planning on playing Mitro up top alone and flood the midfield behind him? With the hope of Wini picking up his knock-downs? If so that’s fine but what if Plan A fails? You have no Plan B…. much like this club over the past few years.

• 3 Goldmbemba // Jan 15, 2016 at 8:55 AM

supershearer – townsend would replace thauvin surely?

Why is Ed so positive about townsend? most people on here arent at all sure about this one. Calling him an ‘experienced premier league’ player is pushing it a bit.

He did well at qpr i recall, and seems to do well for england. It could work out IF he’s motivated to push for an england place, but i can only think he’s being guaranteed 1st team football to come here. But who’s he going to replace? perez is the only one i can think of, and then im not sure he’s any better.

Thats all IF this is a goer and not just tabloid inches…

• 4 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 8:57 AM

You’re as bad as lee Ryder in the chronic. How in any remote way is this good news except for Spurs fans? Ryder wrote similar drivel below, to which I responded:-

‘by fans on Tyneside who would love to see him get the chance of a fresh start.”

– – – – – – – — – – –

At anywhere but SJP !!

Pochettino isn’t stupid he can see Townsend is a headless chicken with awful stats and poor attitude who doesn’t fit a good free flowing passing team.

Where exactly are you getting that feedback. Most people who know football wouldn’t touch hm with a barge pole. Out on loan 11 times tells it’s own story. Really hope Wally doesn’t do this.

We’ve wasted 14M on Thauvin and more on Cabella and Riviere and De Jong. If we’ve got another 12M where is the fast goal scorer. monster CB and top left back.

• 5 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 8:57 AM

not sure if its ignorance or denial or just plain stupidity but there’s something going on that could cost us our place in the prem

• 6 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:01 AM

how on earth would townsend be a popular move?

A fast striker, Koubilaly and Guerreiro and a good manager would be popular moves.

Just don’t get this total blind spot with townsend who may look flashy but whose end product is absolutely minimal.

• 7 lochinvar // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:02 AM

A few earlier blogs were asking about this lad – too late ( again ) – looks like another Deli Ali missed opportunity but them again neither are French so Carr can’t get his bonus

Sam Byram’s career at Leeds United appeared to be nearing an end last night after the club accepted a £3.7m offer for him from Everton.

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:03 AM

I would have thought we would try and get both Townsend and Remy on loan and then buy a new CB and maybe a RB or LB.

• 9 Goldmbemba // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM

i think we will get a CB before the end of the window, but it may not be the one the fans want.

I think we’ll go for someone around 30, some big lump who will be back up but who’ll be totally useless.

• 10 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:09 AM

that would be the sensible thing to do but when have this lot ever took the sensible option

• 11 Thump // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Townsend is Obertan with a “home grown” sticker. He’s a good impact sub, but that’s it.

• 12 AMEOBI // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:13 AM

3Our Toon // Jan 14, 2016 at 11:26 PM

If he concentrated in his job which is to defend then he wouldn’t have to try to make up for it with goals. Didn’t his attempted clearance fall to Rooney to score the 3rd?

I’m happy for the lad but he needs to improve his game big time

This just proves we have some absolute mongs supporting our club. Always slating the players, get a grip.

• 13 Klatoon // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:14 AM

He will offer that unpredictability factor, too often our attacks are so obvious and laboured.

• 14 nut meg // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:17 AM

If we’re prepared to pay & waste 12m+ for Townsend would it not make sense to add a few million to the 12 and make an offer for a genuine talent like Berahino or Lacazette type instead of a flash harry who contributes zilch to the team. Runs shoots misses…nowt else in his locker.

• 15 davis_toons // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:18 AM

how sad…times have change.

• 16 one fine day // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:18 AM

3Goldmbemba @ 3
    It does scare me when we have players who are “pushing to get in the national squad ”
    We has the dodgy stuff with remy in the last game at Liverpool and who can forget ” England’s Michael Owen ” .?
    From 3 streams back schteeeeve did sat tiote was sold against his wishes but you may have missed it in translation as he did his whole presses in his trademark double Dutch and it was a bit muffled under his umbrella Ella Ella Ella ….. Repeat until bored

• 17 FinnBarr // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Pass on Townsend, please. No regular football this year, plus a falling out with his current fitness coach. Seems like a real quality attitude to keep us up…. next!

• 18 Goldmbemba // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:30 AM

on the positive side, Aarons played 90 mins!!!

and goals from riviere and marveux. Not saying theyll transform the team, but it can only be a good thing to have players coming back.

im desperate to have a fit aarons back in the side. hes one player who plays positively when he gets on the ball. he has a great first touch, i remember some footage of him from last season, first touch knocking the ball past a defender, completely turned him inside out but aarons knew exactly what he wanted to do and where the ball was going.

But is it just me or is his shocking injury record a sign of things to come…

• 19 davis_toons // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Shearer: …conquer europe and win the premier league.

Now: We cannot be relegated. Got to get out of the bottom 3.

• 20 corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Cant believe people think townsend would be a bad signing for us. Come on you must be kidding me. It was only a few months ago he was playing really well for England. He is going to offer more than we currently have and is a damn lot better than thauvin also when was the last time we signed to england internationals in one window.

People on here criticise when we sign players from abroad and then also criticise when we sign players with prem experience. No wonder i stopped posting on here!!!

• 21 JP...from The Rock // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:18 AM

The few times I have seen Townsend play he does strike me as a lad with loads of potential. And he’s fast and strong. Knows how to use his pace better than Obertan. Though about his end product I can’t comment as I haven’t seen much of him. I would prefer a loan deal with first option to buy tbh. I would prefer Sam Byram ahead of this guy too as 1- he’s cheaper 2- has loads more potential 3- has an end product 4- future epl star in the making.

• 22 Moonraker15 // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

It’s quite simple; do we prefer Townsend or Thauvin? It’s a no freakin brainer! Bye bye Thauvin!

• 23 KaZuYa // Jan 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM

IMO its really a gamble if we go for Townsend because he struggle to play regularly for Spurs and probably he need some time to get his fitness back but still his experience is very valuable..

Instead we should go for Sam Byram as he is much cheaper and got much better qualities than Townsend.. he can provide cover for both Janmaat and Sissons..

For fb I agree that we should try to get Raphael Guerreiro or Andrew Robertson.. the reason is considering our playing style what we need is a pacey fb who can provide more attacking threat and provide more crosses for our strikers..Jetro Willem is another fb that I would suggest since his cross is pretty accurate just I’m not sure how fast he is..

For Cb we need a tall strong and leader type of player.. Mbemba has done a great job for us so far but his aerial ability is just not good enough.. so we need a player who can cover all that.. Koulibaly is the player I would suggest but his price tag is high.. Joel Matip is a good choice too while Lamine Kone is a cheaper option..

Lastly for the striker position I’m good with all the names we’ve been linked with so far.. Austin Remy Berahino as all is a PL proven goalscorer.. Batshuayi is a good candidate also just his price tag is also high since he just signed a new contract with OM.. another name that I would suggest is Wassim Ben Yadder.. this lad looks like a good finisher and he can dribble too.. I rate him more than that 18 million man Lacazatte though…

• 24 Faddj // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:17 PM

I’m sorry but our fans are absolutely clueless man…

Firstly, you all think just because we’ve signed two players, they’re gunna both get put straight into the two central roles of midfield? Wake up. I don’t rate Colback in the slightest, but I can assure you, he will be in the center of the park tomorrow.

Secondly, Saivet… I’m well away in his interview, he states “I’ll be playing in the middle”, but everyone of our fans are assuming by that, that means he’s a central defensive midfielder!? Anyone who has seen him play, will tell you he is most definitely 100% not a defensive midfielder. He’s an attacking minded player, played both on the wings and in a central attacking position. He looks a similar kind of player to Sadio Mane to me. Yes, I’m confused as to why we need another CAM as we already have the likes of Gini, Sissoko, De Jong who all in my opinion are best playing through the middle, which takes me to my next point…

Thirdly, Gini, and Sissoko are not wingers!!!!!! It frustrates the life out of me when I see everyone post their line ups and have them both on the wings, they just simply aren’t wingers, I don’t even need to explain why, but they’re just not, end of.

Fourthly, anyone who rates either Colback, or Dummet, need their brains examined, I’ve had many of arguments with many fellow Geordies about this subject, and everytime I get the same response… “ah but they put a shift in though” I’m well aware, they run, they put in the effort, but for me, effort means absolutely bot all if you’re s**t at football! Stop being so “Geordie proud” and praising them for being a Geordie and putting a shift in. We need talented footballers, these two aren’t that, they’re a pair of talentless try-hards.

Fifthly, everyone keeps harping on about “GET A NEW CENTERBACK!”…. We have one, sat on our bench every bleeding week, a big, strong, young kid dying for a chance to prove himself, with many of years ahead of him, his name is Jamal Lascelles. Stop crying out for a “marquee signing” and just give what we have a chance. I keep hearing “ah he’s not experienced enough”, blah blah blah, but what about Mbemba? He’s the exact same age, and has never played in England before, yet he’s showing to me to genuinely be one of the best centerbacks I’ve seen at Newcastle in a long long time. So why not put Lascelles in there alongside Mbemba, two strong, tall young blokes, I think given the chance they’d grow into a phenomenal partnership. I can’t accept this” I know but he’s got no experience at the top level”…. Neither did Wayne Rooney when he was 16 and banged a screamer in against Arsenal! I’m not by any means comparing the two, my point is that he never will get “experience” sat on the bench every week! Throw him in at the deep end, and keep Colo on the bench for back up, I know he done well against Man U, but his best years are behind him, Lascelles best years are ahead of him!

My last point is also referring to another couple of young kids, Aarons and Mbabu, I’m my opinion, they look like the most gifted youngsters we’ve had in years, when fit, get them on the pitch!

Finally, given a fully fit squad, I’d like to give me opinion on what I think would be our strongest line up with our current roster….

—————– Krul —————–

Jaanmat — Mbemba — Lascelles — Mbabu

Elliot, Colo, Saivet, Anita, De Jong, Obertan, Toney.

Get rid of Colback, Dummet, Taylor, Willo, Gouffran, Thauvin, Cisse.

I’m personally sad to see Tiote go, as he gave me the best rush I’ve ever had in my entire life with that corker against Arsenal, but it seems inevitable that he’s off.

Sign Berahino and Townsend this month and I’ll be more than happy with our squad, just providing Steve picks the right starting 11.

I couldn’t give a monkeys chuff with anyone who disagrees with any of my views, because I know for a fine fact my Newcastle team lining up the way I’d like them to, would win alot more games than they have done this season.

Mike Ashley, if you’re reading this, I’ll take Steve’s job in a heartbeat, and I’ll except as little as 2 grand a month, and I bet you’d see a more entertaining team than we’ve seen in recent months.

Thank you, and good night.

• 25 Sav // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:19 PM

If Macca insists on signing Townsend, its going to do wonders to repair Carr’s rep.

previous post: Newcastle Reported After Impressive Striker In Spain