Newcastle Reported After Paraguay International Striker

There’s a report out in Kickoff that Newcastle are set to move for Augsburg striker Raul Bobadilla, who was born in Argentina but has Paraguay citizenship and has played 9 times for his adopted country.

But he turns 29 next June, so he is a bit old for the players Newcastle like to sign, who can improve on Tyneside and therefore have some sell-on value.

raul bobadilla

Raul Bobadilla – born in Argentina – plays for Paraguay

Bobadilla has previously played at River Plate, Grasshopper, Borussia Monchengladbach, Young Boys and FC Basel before moving to Augsburg in the summer of 2013.

In Germany this season he has 10 goals in 21 total appearances with 6 of those goals coming in the Europa League in just 5 appearances.

Raul has played 71 times for Augsburg so far with 23 goals and 8 assists, which is a decent record in the Bundesliga.

It’s in the Europa League that the striker has looked impressive this season and last season he also helped Augsburg to finish 5th in the Bundesliga with 10 goals.

Augsburg had 49 points and qualified for the Europa League this season.

Overall in his career he has made 276 appearances with 107 goals and 43 assists, which is a decent enough record.

Raul may be a good player, but he doesn’t have the goal-scoring prowess we need at Newcastle right now and he is also older than players we usually sign at the club.

We’d be very surprised if there’s much truth that we are after the Paraguay International.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM

These rumours are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Ciro immobile has joined Torino on loan until the end of the season. He would have done for us. Good finisher, plays on the last man with a fair bit of pace.

• Fabricio - out of position - Coloccini

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM

I quite like the direction we’re heading. Problem areas are adressed and the club actually does something about it as well. I thought I’d never see the day…

As much as I’m looking forward to see Colos back I’m not sure now is the time to replace him – buy a new CB, make a new CB pair in the middle of the season and bet a relegation fight on it to work. The summer window makes this position the most important to adress though.

Carr has his ups and downs but this summer he’s bought us two gems in Wini and Mbemba and a potential very good signing in Mitrovic. Thauvin failed it seems even tough he hasn’t been given a fair chance. Didn’t we almost force him to us? So 3/4 isn’t that bad actually, and better than many teams in the league.

I’m fairly optimistic again!

• Reyantoon

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:11 AM

It’s not Ciaron.Please read and pay attention!

• Reyantoon

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Westham are in form atm and some of their best players returned – Payet,Mosses,Kouyate etc..
    Which makes it difficult game for us.Just slot the new midfielders and go for it.They already are a good players.They don’t need time to settle

• Reyantoon

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Elliot
    Janmaat Mbemba Colo Dumm
    Saivet Shelvey
    Sissoko Wijnaldum Persez/?
    Mitrovic

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:22 AM

He’s not EPL proven and getting on a bit at 29. If he has loads of pace then that compensates his age a bit but still unproven and would be a gamble. I rather we go for Remy or Berahino.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Fabricio

But still no top LB, commanding CB or fleet footed goal scorer

Corkypants

Does having EPL experience make a player good. There have been some shockers stealing a living at this level, look no further than our own willo and shola.

Why do people blindly say Townsend would be good but them totally overlook his stats, the reasons he can’t get in Spurs team etc etc

Whose judgement would you take Pochettino or Wally. I rest my case.

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Sorry I don’t rate townsend at all. Have seen him play many times and if that’s the player we are looking at we rather just play Obertan.

I don’t mind as long as he improves from the player he currently is which is a headless chicken.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Another rumor. How many is that now…50?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Rotonda…I actually think a player like Townsend would do well under a very British influenced McC!

Flair players seem to be a hit and miss at Newcastle. So I’ll welcome Townsend if it’s a loan deal with an option of course 😉

• Slank

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Reyantoon @ 6

Your suggested team looks like one that will take the field but I’m not sure McClaren will play the two debutants immediately. One perhaps. I think he still favours Colback but I suppose it all depends on what he has seen on the training ground to convince him to play the two together.

A compromise could be to pair Saivet with Colback and use Shelvey as the playmaker with Gini on the wing instead of Perez who hasn’t been as sharp as he can be,

• Rotonda heights

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Jesper

Townsend is not a flair player, he’s just fast, runs into blind alleys, frustrates the hell out of team mates taking stupid shots like a kid on a playground and as said, stats are woeful. Looked ok for england in a very weak group.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Alexandre Lacazette admits talking to Newcastle United’s new signing about Premier League move
    The Toon target spoke to Henri Saivet about the Premier League.

• lesh

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Jesper

Don’t be a cynic all of your life.

Be positive, be optimistic – the more we ‘try’ for, the more we won’t be able to get over the line!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Rotonda…exactly my point mate 😉 Townsend is not a flair player. He’s actually very British in the way he play. Seems a perfect fit for McC 😉

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Don’t know what to make of Townsend. Not seen him play on the left, only ever on the right cutting in where he seems wasteful… Just chatting to my client today about him and he’s seen him a fair few times live which I never have and reckons he’s a hell of a player. Fans seem 50/50 split on him too.
    To be honest, he’ll probably offer an upgrade on Thauvins contribution this season. We still most definitely need a striker, could do with a left back and centreback too but guessing that’ll wait till the summer.
    If the club has a window of Saivet, Shelvey, Townsend and a striker they’ll be looking at around 80m net spend in one season which is crazy but then im guessing in the summer the spend will probably be 10-15m on a couple defenders…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM

lesh…it seems I better embrace what we have or I might just end up an old disappointed blogger 😉 lol

• Mister Tuff

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:57 AM

I think some folk rate Townsend purely because he played for England.
    His stats reveal the truth – not very good – if Wally rates him there must be serious doubts about his credentials.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Jay…I think it would be a huge mistake spending £40M this window if a CB is not a part if the puzzle!

A CB and another forward should be priority #1

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Actually don’t think McClaren is a British in style as being made out. If anything with Mitro up top we could do with more direct balls and crosses. We actually set up very French mid table league team. McClaren has set us up very similar to how Galtier has St Ettiene playing. Very deep. Very narrow, playing out from the back possession football. I know some people are pointing to Cabella and Thauvin’s failures but actually I think what they struggled with was how little time in the league you get on the ball. Neither would have benefited that much from a different style as both gave the ball away far too much when they had it aswell as constantly got caught on the ball. They also both through themselves to the ground the moment any contact occurred. I think Thauvin will be back next season a year older and wiser, apparently the club won’t listen to permanent offers.

• G

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

I would only take Townsend on loan with an option. Too risky imo.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Senor Tuff…Cabella’s stats were impressive before he came here mate 😉

When it comes to Newcastle is not really about stats or ability…it’s more about style and the amount of running you do (headless or not)

I remember Simpson’s stats here one season would have us all to believe he was one of the best RB in the PL. Even Willow’s has flattered to deceive!

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

@Jesper – I agree, guessing with Taylor almost back and Coloccini seeming slightly rejuvenated it won’t happen though!
    Glad they’ve sorted centre mid, Anita and Colback have been dominated far too often and Tiote just doesn’t seem to stay fit.
    A forward is a must. Mitrovic is far too young to shoulder the whole responsibility of a relegation battle as our only striker. Riviere for me isn’t a striker. He played wide of a 3 or as a number 10 the whole time in France. Hes actually a willing runner and not a bad player when hes a number 10 or 11 but as a 9 hes proved time and time again hes not good enough a finisher

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Jay…from what I see McC us more British in style than Pardew was.

I think Townsend is s good match for his kind of football.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM

*is

• Mister Tuff

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Been a decent week so far- better if we beat West Ham.
    A bonus for the week would be that Ian Tool (now posing a Magscar) will not write any more fables about meeting West Ham fans in the bar -and surprise surprise they all love King PERCY.
    Now that would be a good week.

Blog jackal stop your sly behaviour. Your sly tricks and cunning are seen through quite easily.

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM

@jesper – I guess it depends on what you class as British style. For me Pardew epitomized old british style when we had Willo playing floated 40 yard passes to a striker and having 35% possession per game. Kinnear and Hughton also played what i’d call a very british game.
    Under McClaren we rarely play it long , even when it might suit us. Against Man Utd I think Mitro had the beating of Blind all day but we rarely put it up there for him to attack.
    In ligue 1, all clubs aside from probably PSG, Lyon and Marseille play to draw 0-0 at half time and then when the second half. They play possession for possessions sake, keep narrow and tough to beat. Similar to italian football in the 90’s actually. For me McClaren’s style here, and at Derby too where it was easy on the eye reminds me alot of St Ettiene, Montpellier, even Monaco.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Jay…my biggest concern with a guy like McC us that when you scout players from foreign leagues with different systems then you simply cannot take one player who’s used to playing wide in the offensive line using most of his energy on creating chances and converting chances, and then suddenly utilize him as wingback and expecting the same results.

Suddenly this player is using most of his energy defending and running great distances. This is especially a huge problem seeing ad we are not in possession very often and we build up from deep.

McC should be playing a completely different ball game or we should be buying different players 🙂

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:20 AM

@Mister Tuff – someone claimed that West Ham fans loved Pardew? Im in London all the time, i’ve never met one that does… I’ve met a couple that feel he was a bit hard done to, and a couple that liked his personality but i’ve never met a fan of any club Pardew has managed that would ever have him back….
    Him and Palace seem a good fit…
    Not seen anyone mention they’ve not scored a league goal for games though aswell as having failed to score in half of their games this season. We’re not scoring enough either but the football at Palace isn’t the frree flowing tiki taka Pardew would have you believing. Hes a manager that has the amazing ability to have people think he plays attractive football without ever actually doing it

• Slank

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM

McClaren doesn’t strike me as ‘a typical British manager’.

His experiences as a national manager and as a club manager in various countries would have influenced his current style of play.

We certainly don’t hoof it forward at the first opportunity anymore which was very characteristic of Carver and Pardew.

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM

@Jesper – agree with that! The manage should be choosing the players as he’ll know what he wants to do with them.
    Tend to find the teams where the managers buy the players like West Ham, Stoke, everton all performing out of their skins whereas Newcastle, Sunderland, Villa and Swansea, Liverpool pre Klopp all have people other than the manager buying the players.
    A transfer committee is fine if you are Real Madrid or Barca and a DoF drops Neymar or Bale in your squad unexpectedly but for me doesn’t work lower down the league.

• archaeomag

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Agree with most on Townsend, – loan will be best.
    He once cut inside and scored a good goal for England – but they mostly go over the bar.

• catchy in norway

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM

jesperfuglsang

good morning my Danish friend 😉

to stick up for shteve a little bit here, its hard to really judge him on players bought in, for me Gini Mitro and Chancle have been a bit of a success story if you ask me, whilst i might agree with where he plays Gini , he is sitting on 8 goals for the season so far, the team play a far more expansive type of football, and the movment in the team is light years ahead of what we have been served up for a few years now.
    the term Pardewed was coinged for a good reason, as more often than not, who ever we signed started going backwards as player, i think we have to give Shteve the 3 windows he wants to makes the squad his own.

i really think we are going to finish top 10 this season, and that would be a huge bonus from where we are right now.

i only worry about shteves subs, when he makes them nakes no sense 🙁

• Reyantoon

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Slank – Wijnaldum is our top scorer atm,which is why he should play upfront, like num 10.I initially wanted to play him on the left wing too because he has pace and strength.But lately,his contributions are getting limited there.If he plays at num 10,he can link up well with Sissoko and the rest and can score more goals.I agree re Perez tho.He’s not at his best in recent games.
    May be that left wing isn’t his best position or he didn’t felt comfortable in that position.Did his head turned too when Tot & Mu show interest?
    Plus we have a Championship manager who I still doubt whether he knows some of the players best position..?

• Rotonda heights

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM

my friend is a west ham fan who went on a demo when pardew was there, this was around the time harewood and mullins were getting played over tevez and mascherano and they were bottom 3, before curbishley came in.

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:34 AM

@catchy – Steves subs are strange. Can only put it down to not trusting the depth of squad player? The bench at Man Utd really didn’t have much in terms of players that could come on and make a difference. Nor was their much their that could come on and change the tactics. Hopefully that changes abit when we have players back fit? We need a few more in the window aswell as a few to come back from injury. I think Taylor, Riviere/a new striker, Aarons, Anita or colback or saivet coming off the bench might give him more options when needed

• Jib

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Lacazette is saying he will join the PL in Summer , possibly Arsenal or Chelsea.
    NUFC and Stoke never attracted him.
    “I want a team that plays good football, where there is a passing game. Not a team that runs from box to box. Kick and rush is not for me. ”

What !!!

• jayphoto

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM

@jib – hes obviously not watched newcastle or stoke? Neither play kick and rush. Would argue chelsea actually play the most kick and rush in that list these days.
    Can see Lacazette at arsenal though. Hes a very Arsenal type player.
    I love the Andre Gray rumour. Can’t play till the summer but hes the type of player that would do well here.
    Would love to the club to look at Ahmed Musa and Lorenzo Melgarejo from the russian league too. Melgarejo is a really decent left back

• Munster Mag

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Jay, good analysis of continental football and SMC there. I dont hugely rate SMC, but I prefer his football to Pardew. That said, Pardew wanted different types of players to what he was given, and that didnt help anyone. I will be glad to see Thauvin go. I have never rated him, just like I didnt rate Obertan once i had seen hin twice ( and was shouted at on here for saying he was crap so soon, but i had no doubts) . I dont know much about Townsend, but we need speed in the team, so that might help. Is he a left winger or right winger? As for Thauvin – badly scouted and poor (repeat) judgement from Old Man Carr. Slow, flimsy, bad tackler. I think the Daily Mail scored him 0/10 – their worst score ever – for his Sheff Weds game ! Have to say, one team i really admire at present in Stoke. Hughes, whom i always though was overrated, really has done a great job. Their centre backs are so good to watch. I’d gladly have him at NUFC as a manager now.