The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported After Paraguay International Striker

9:56 am, Friday, January 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 85 Comments

There’s a report out in Kickoff that Newcastle are set to move for Augsburg striker Raul Bobadilla, who was born in Argentina but has Paraguay citizenship and has played 9 times for his adopted country.

But he turns 29 next June, so he is a bit old for the players Newcastle like to sign, who can improve on Tyneside and therefore have some sell-on value.

raul bobadilla

Raul Bobadilla – born in Argentina – plays for Paraguay

Bobadilla has previously played at River Plate, Grasshopper, Borussia Monchengladbach, Young Boys and FC Basel before moving to Augsburg in the summer of 2013.

In Germany this season he has 10 goals in 21 total appearances with 6 of those goals coming in the Europa League in just 5 appearances.

Raul has played 71 times for Augsburg so far with 23 goals and 8 assists, which is a decent record in the Bundesliga.

It’s in the Europa League that the striker has looked impressive this season and last season he also helped Augsburg to finish 5th in the Bundesliga with 10 goals.

Augsburg had 49 points and qualified for the Europa League this season.

Overall in his career he has made 276 appearances with 107 goals and 43 assists, which is a decent enough record.

Raul may be a good player, but he doesn’t have the goal-scoring prowess we need at Newcastle right now and he is also older than players we usually sign at the club.

We’d be very surprised if there’s much truth that we are after the Paraguay International.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

85 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM

These rumours are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

• 2 ronaldo aarons // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Ciro immobile has joined Torino on loan until the end of the season. He would have done for us. Good finisher, plays on the last man with a fair bit of pace.

• 3 Fabricio - out of position - Coloccini // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM

I quite like the direction we’re heading. Problem areas are adressed and the club actually does something about it as well. I thought I’d never see the day…

As much as I’m looking forward to see Colos back I’m not sure now is the time to replace him – buy a new CB, make a new CB pair in the middle of the season and bet a relegation fight on it to work. The summer window makes this position the most important to adress though.

Carr has his ups and downs but this summer he’s bought us two gems in Wini and Mbemba and a potential very good signing in Mitrovic. Thauvin failed it seems even tough he hasn’t been given a fair chance. Didn’t we almost force him to us? So 3/4 isn’t that bad actually, and better than many teams in the league.

I’m fairly optimistic again!

• 4 Reyantoon // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:11 AM

It’s not Ciaron.Please read and pay attention!

• 5 Reyantoon // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Westham are in form atm and some of their best players returned – Payet,Mosses,Kouyate etc..
    Which makes it difficult game for us.Just slot the new midfielders and go for it.They already are a good players.They don’t need time to settle

• 6 Reyantoon // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Dumm
    Saivet Shelvey
    Sissoko Wijnaldum Persez/?

• 7 JP...from The Rock // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:22 AM

He’s not EPL proven and getting on a bit at 29. If he has loads of pace then that compensates his age a bit but still unproven and would be a gamble. I rather we go for Remy or Berahino.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:26 AM

But still no top LB, commanding CB or fleet footed goal scorer

Does having EPL experience make a player good. There have been some shockers stealing a living at this level, look no further than our own willo and shola.

Why do people blindly say Townsend would be good but them totally overlook his stats, the reasons he can’t get in Spurs team etc etc

Whose judgement would you take Pochettino or Wally. I rest my case.

• 9 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Sorry I don’t rate townsend at all. Have seen him play many times and if that’s the player we are looking at we rather just play Obertan.

I don’t mind as long as he improves from the player he currently is which is a headless chicken.

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Another rumor. How many is that now…50?

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Rotonda…I actually think a player like Townsend would do well under a very British influenced McC!

Flair players seem to be a hit and miss at Newcastle. So I’ll welcome Townsend if it’s a loan deal with an option of course 😉

• 12 Slank // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Reyantoon @ 6

Your suggested team looks like one that will take the field but I’m not sure McClaren will play the two debutants immediately. One perhaps. I think he still favours Colback but I suppose it all depends on what he has seen on the training ground to convince him to play the two together.

A compromise could be to pair Saivet with Colback and use Shelvey as the playmaker with Gini on the wing instead of Perez who hasn’t been as sharp as he can be,

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Townsend is not a flair player, he’s just fast, runs into blind alleys, frustrates the hell out of team mates taking stupid shots like a kid on a playground and as said, stats are woeful. Looked ok for england in a very weak group.

• 14 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Alexandre Lacazette admits talking to Newcastle United’s new signing about Premier League move
    The Toon target spoke to Henri Saivet about the Premier League.

• 15 lesh // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Don’t be a cynic all of your life.

Be positive, be optimistic – the more we ‘try’ for, the more we won’t be able to get over the line!

• 16 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Rotonda…exactly my point mate 😉 Townsend is not a flair player. He’s actually very British in the way he play. Seems a perfect fit for McC 😉

• 17 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Don’t know what to make of Townsend. Not seen him play on the left, only ever on the right cutting in where he seems wasteful… Just chatting to my client today about him and he’s seen him a fair few times live which I never have and reckons he’s a hell of a player. Fans seem 50/50 split on him too.
    To be honest, he’ll probably offer an upgrade on Thauvins contribution this season. We still most definitely need a striker, could do with a left back and centreback too but guessing that’ll wait till the summer.
    If the club has a window of Saivet, Shelvey, Townsend and a striker they’ll be looking at around 80m net spend in one season which is crazy but then im guessing in the summer the spend will probably be 10-15m on a couple defenders…

• 18 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM

lesh…it seems I better embrace what we have or I might just end up an old disappointed blogger 😉 lol

• 19 Mister Tuff // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:57 AM

I think some folk rate Townsend purely because he played for England.
    His stats reveal the truth – not very good – if Wally rates him there must be serious doubts about his credentials.

• 20 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Jay…I think it would be a huge mistake spending £40M this window if a CB is not a part if the puzzle!

A CB and another forward should be priority #1

• 21 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Actually don’t think McClaren is a British in style as being made out. If anything with Mitro up top we could do with more direct balls and crosses. We actually set up very French mid table league team. McClaren has set us up very similar to how Galtier has St Ettiene playing. Very deep. Very narrow, playing out from the back possession football. I know some people are pointing to Cabella and Thauvin’s failures but actually I think what they struggled with was how little time in the league you get on the ball. Neither would have benefited that much from a different style as both gave the ball away far too much when they had it aswell as constantly got caught on the ball. They also both through themselves to the ground the moment any contact occurred. I think Thauvin will be back next season a year older and wiser, apparently the club won’t listen to permanent offers.

• 22 G // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

I would only take Townsend on loan with an option. Too risky imo.

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Senor Tuff…Cabella’s stats were impressive before he came here mate 😉

When it comes to Newcastle is not really about stats or ability…it’s more about style and the amount of running you do (headless or not)

I remember Simpson’s stats here one season would have us all to believe he was one of the best RB in the PL. Even Willow’s has flattered to deceive!

• 24 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM

@Jesper – I agree, guessing with Taylor almost back and Coloccini seeming slightly rejuvenated it won’t happen though!
    Glad they’ve sorted centre mid, Anita and Colback have been dominated far too often and Tiote just doesn’t seem to stay fit.
    A forward is a must. Mitrovic is far too young to shoulder the whole responsibility of a relegation battle as our only striker. Riviere for me isn’t a striker. He played wide of a 3 or as a number 10 the whole time in France. Hes actually a willing runner and not a bad player when hes a number 10 or 11 but as a 9 hes proved time and time again hes not good enough a finisher

• 25 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Jay…from what I see McC us more British in style than Pardew was.

I think Townsend is s good match for his kind of football.

• 26 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM

• 27 Mister Tuff // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Been a decent week so far- better if we beat West Ham.
    A bonus for the week would be that Ian Tool (now posing a Magscar) will not write any more fables about meeting West Ham fans in the bar -and surprise surprise they all love King PERCY.
    Now that would be a good week.

Blog jackal stop your sly behaviour. Your sly tricks and cunning are seen through quite easily.

• 28 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM

@jesper – I guess it depends on what you class as British style. For me Pardew epitomized old british style when we had Willo playing floated 40 yard passes to a striker and having 35% possession per game. Kinnear and Hughton also played what i’d call a very british game.
    Under McClaren we rarely play it long , even when it might suit us. Against Man Utd I think Mitro had the beating of Blind all day but we rarely put it up there for him to attack.
    In ligue 1, all clubs aside from probably PSG, Lyon and Marseille play to draw 0-0 at half time and then when the second half. They play possession for possessions sake, keep narrow and tough to beat. Similar to italian football in the 90’s actually. For me McClaren’s style here, and at Derby too where it was easy on the eye reminds me alot of St Ettiene, Montpellier, even Monaco.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Jay…my biggest concern with a guy like McC us that when you scout players from foreign leagues with different systems then you simply cannot take one player who’s used to playing wide in the offensive line using most of his energy on creating chances and converting chances, and then suddenly utilize him as wingback and expecting the same results.

Suddenly this player is using most of his energy defending and running great distances. This is especially a huge problem seeing ad we are not in possession very often and we build up from deep.

McC should be playing a completely different ball game or we should be buying different players 🙂

• 30 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:20 AM

@Mister Tuff – someone claimed that West Ham fans loved Pardew? Im in London all the time, i’ve never met one that does… I’ve met a couple that feel he was a bit hard done to, and a couple that liked his personality but i’ve never met a fan of any club Pardew has managed that would ever have him back….
    Him and Palace seem a good fit…
    Not seen anyone mention they’ve not scored a league goal for games though aswell as having failed to score in half of their games this season. We’re not scoring enough either but the football at Palace isn’t the frree flowing tiki taka Pardew would have you believing. Hes a manager that has the amazing ability to have people think he plays attractive football without ever actually doing it

• 31 Slank // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM

McClaren doesn’t strike me as ‘a typical British manager’.

His experiences as a national manager and as a club manager in various countries would have influenced his current style of play.

We certainly don’t hoof it forward at the first opportunity anymore which was very characteristic of Carver and Pardew.

• 32 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM

@Jesper – agree with that! The manage should be choosing the players as he’ll know what he wants to do with them.
    Tend to find the teams where the managers buy the players like West Ham, Stoke, everton all performing out of their skins whereas Newcastle, Sunderland, Villa and Swansea, Liverpool pre Klopp all have people other than the manager buying the players.
    A transfer committee is fine if you are Real Madrid or Barca and a DoF drops Neymar or Bale in your squad unexpectedly but for me doesn’t work lower down the league.

• 33 archaeomag // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Agree with most on Townsend, – loan will be best.
    He once cut inside and scored a good goal for England – but they mostly go over the bar.

• 34 catchy in norway // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM

good morning my Danish friend 😉

to stick up for shteve a little bit here, its hard to really judge him on players bought in, for me Gini Mitro and Chancle have been a bit of a success story if you ask me, whilst i might agree with where he plays Gini , he is sitting on 8 goals for the season so far, the team play a far more expansive type of football, and the movment in the team is light years ahead of what we have been served up for a few years now.
    the term Pardewed was coinged for a good reason, as more often than not, who ever we signed started going backwards as player, i think we have to give Shteve the 3 windows he wants to makes the squad his own.

i really think we are going to finish top 10 this season, and that would be a huge bonus from where we are right now.

i only worry about shteves subs, when he makes them nakes no sense 🙁

• 35 Reyantoon // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Slank – Wijnaldum is our top scorer atm,which is why he should play upfront, like num 10.I initially wanted to play him on the left wing too because he has pace and strength.But lately,his contributions are getting limited there.If he plays at num 10,he can link up well with Sissoko and the rest and can score more goals.I agree re Perez tho.He’s not at his best in recent games.
    May be that left wing isn’t his best position or he didn’t felt comfortable in that position.Did his head turned too when Tot & Mu show interest?
    Plus we have a Championship manager who I still doubt whether he knows some of the players best position..?

• 36 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM

my friend is a west ham fan who went on a demo when pardew was there, this was around the time harewood and mullins were getting played over tevez and mascherano and they were bottom 3, before curbishley came in.

• 37 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:34 AM

@catchy – Steves subs are strange. Can only put it down to not trusting the depth of squad player? The bench at Man Utd really didn’t have much in terms of players that could come on and make a difference. Nor was their much their that could come on and change the tactics. Hopefully that changes abit when we have players back fit? We need a few more in the window aswell as a few to come back from injury. I think Taylor, Riviere/a new striker, Aarons, Anita or colback or saivet coming off the bench might give him more options when needed

• 38 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Lacazette is saying he will join the PL in Summer , possibly Arsenal or Chelsea.
    NUFC and Stoke never attracted him.
    “I want a team that plays good football, where there is a passing game. Not a team that runs from box to box. Kick and rush is not for me. ”

What !!!

• 39 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM

@jib – hes obviously not watched newcastle or stoke? Neither play kick and rush. Would argue chelsea actually play the most kick and rush in that list these days.
    Can see Lacazette at arsenal though. Hes a very Arsenal type player.
    I love the Andre Gray rumour. Can’t play till the summer but hes the type of player that would do well here.
    Would love to the club to look at Ahmed Musa and Lorenzo Melgarejo from the russian league too. Melgarejo is a really decent left back

• 40 Munster Mag // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Jay, good analysis of continental football and SMC there. I dont hugely rate SMC, but I prefer his football to Pardew. That said, Pardew wanted different types of players to what he was given, and that didnt help anyone. I will be glad to see Thauvin go. I have never rated him, just like I didnt rate Obertan once i had seen hin twice ( and was shouted at on here for saying he was crap so soon, but i had no doubts) . I dont know much about Townsend, but we need speed in the team, so that might help. Is he a left winger or right winger? As for Thauvin – badly scouted and poor (repeat) judgement from Old Man Carr. Slow, flimsy, bad tackler. I think the Daily Mail scored him 0/10 – their worst score ever – for his Sheff Weds game ! Have to say, one team i really admire at present in Stoke. Hughes, whom i always though was overrated, really has done a great job. Their centre backs are so good to watch. I’d gladly have him at NUFC as a manager now.

• 41 Slank // Jan 15, 2016 at 11:56 AM

I agree with you about Gini’s best position being the number 10.

The problem I had was where to play him if McClaren has a midfield of Colback, Saivet and Shelvey. Replacing Perez is the only option as the much maligned Sissoko is not droppable, and in my opinion quite rightly so based on recent performances.

Apparently Saivet has been told by McClaren that he will be the defensive / holding midfielder. I’ve never seen this lad play so can’t really say whether he is more like Tiote or more like Thauvan. Hopefully the former.

McClaren could surprise us and play the two debutants alongside Gini. A further surprise could be Aarons instead of Perez on the wing.

I suppose we have to wait and see.

• 42 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Got to remember French players will have watched Newcastle a lot in recent years on TV due to increased interest because of the players we have brought in and a lot of our games we have been shite to watch with kick and rush football!! Can Blame Carver and Pardew for that !

I certainly see improvements in our play but we are still prone to the odd defensive mistake and poor finishing which can probably only be improved on with a personnel change, confidence or more coaching ! But we have to get results to get the confidence back unfortunately!

Would be good if Riviere and Aarons could get fit as they would be useful off the bench as both have pace to burn

• 43 nightfa11 // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I think Lacazette will go to arsenal only if they cant get aubumeyang.. As for chelsea.. If they sign him, remy will be free to leave.. I doubt any of this will happen this month.. But lets wait and see..

• 44 Toonfan8 // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM

we should start on of the Riviere or Aarons vs West Ham, as we need that pace there….
    bench:darlow,lascelles,mbabu,colback,de jong,perez,riviere……………………
    there are options on the bench as well

• 45 cyprus // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM

My club is doing all the right things so hats off. They moved in for good players fast, one CF and we’re set.

Then it’s up to the players and the coaches.

We and they must remember that the days of super teams and also runs are over. Every team can buy a diamond or more now. A 10 million player can prove a match or better than a 30 million player.

So, this means that west ham is as hard a game as manu or Chelsea. It also means we can lose or win ANY game.

• 46 nut meg // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:17 PM

That’s my team as well.

• 47 cyprus // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Aaron’s eh? For how long, ten minutes?

• 48 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Townsend looks probable to me. Where does he fit in? Rarely if ever have I seen him on the LW. Schteve having memories of developing Downing with this one me thinks.

Saying that, a Townsend/Wiji/ Sissoko supporting front 3 has a lot of thrust!

• 49 Munster Mag // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM

I think Aarons could and should be vital for us. He;s a street ahead on Thauvin. But is Townsend right or left winger ? I thought he was right wing ? If he is, where wud be play because Sissoko is doing well.

• 50 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM

@slank – off the ball Saivet is a bit like a terrier when he plays central. Very quick over ground, likes a tackle, quite physical. Reckon he’ll rack up the cards like tiote.
    Off the ball He could be comparable in style to Kante at Leicester or Makelele.
    Don’t really rate him on the ball mind, little vision, not amazing technique etc. Most of his positive attributes are physical or work rate related. Hes not awful on the bal mind, probably similar to colback in the fact that he doesn’t seem to notch the goals or assists. His work rate should give shelvey alot of space and time.

• 51 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Since he’s come on to the scene, he’s only had 35 PL matches worth of game time, including his spell at QPR.

• 52 Moonraker15 // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Whatever team we put out has to win tomorrow against a very good West Ham team.
    It’s probably the most important game so far because we all know we have the quality, but we don’t yet have the winning mentality that we need. Thank god Carroll is injured; that is crucial cos we would not be able to handle him!

• 53 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Does Lacazette really believe he could lead the front line on his own playing for Chelsea or Arsenal. He is barely pushing 5ft 9. He would get dropped back into midfield, and at 20 million, would be amongst much better players who would force him out of the side.

• 54 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Aarons, Riviere and Marveaux all played last night, so at best they’ll be on the bench tomorrow

• 55 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Worth noting its highly unlikely Saivet signed for us unless he’s been told he’s going to be first choice in his position. Hes been a stand out player this year and has been likened to Matuidi in the press. There was even talk of Monaco and Psg enquiring but he has dreamt of the premier league for years.
    Bordeaux fans are livid that he’s been sold too, most journalists are mystified that Bordeaux accepted such a low amount for a player that could and should have cost double.

• 56 corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Townsend is a England international he cant get in at spurs because they have Lamela Erickson Alli Dembele Chadli and more all gunning for places in the attacking mid positions. Anyone can look at stats and say this guys awfull that guys fantastic but if you watch him he is a good player. Also he doesnt get in at spurs because of a rift eith the fitness coach not because he is a bsd player. He was playing well for england a few months ago with loads of people raving about him. I would be over the moon if he joined

• 57 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Shelevey with a debut corker tomorrow! Can feel it in my black & white bones.

• 58 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Riviere only played a half and aarons 60 mins. Anyone know if thats all they can handle atm or is it with saturday in mind?
    Could have done with Riviere on tuesday. No way is toney anywhere near PL ready

• 59 Fabricio - out of position - Coloccini // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM

A late answer but I totally agree with you.
    Modern LB, commanding CB and a proven goal scorer should be a priority. I also want a new RB but we might allready have him in Mbabu.

Having said that I also agree with Carr/McClarens focus to sterngthen the central midfield with better possession and creativity. Hopefully that will make us more balanced and ease the burden on the CBs.

• 60 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Townsend PL minutes/goals/assists – 3125mins / 5goals / 2 assists

Sissoko 2014/15 – 3032mins / 4goals / 2 asissts
    Sissoko 2013/14 – 3036mins / 3 goals / 6 assists

Sissoko’s mins have been during single seasons, so he’s had chance to build momentum, fitness and confidence. Townsends stats are spread over 3 seasons, with him being given bits here and there. Quite comparable figures.

Likening him to Sissoko is a good comparison, both talented, but need consistency. Sissoko is showing signs of that under McClaren, so maybe he can do the same with Townsend, particularly if the lad wants to be here.

My only reservation is his lack of playing time on the LW, pretty much an unknown quantity out there, which is where he’ll surely be bought for.

• 61 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:49 PM

been told this morning its looking like tony will will be going back out on loan if rivi proves his fitness

• 62 beermonkey // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:50 PM

is townsend left or right footed

• 63 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:50 PM

forgot to say hartlepool are the team that want him

• 64 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM

If the Mackems can somehow get a win at Spurs in the early KO it will really put presure on us.

• 65 Slank // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Jay @ 50

Many thanks for the info on Saivat. Very encouraging. Sounds like a ‘like for like’ swap with Tiote. I look forward to seeing him.

Do you think he will start on Saturday ?

• 66 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 15, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Left primarily, but very comfortable with his right. Good balance and isn’t one of these players always trying to get on to his favoured foot. I’m just uneasy that he’s never been deployed as a LW.

• 67 ToonMatt // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Just reading about Emmanuel Adebayor? He’s a free agent and Palace are after him, I know his attitude is bad but would anyone have him here for the rest of the season?, He was a decent player not long ago and is proven in the premier league.

• 68 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:05 PM

The secret is not to behave like a kid in the sweety shop (not a pop at you btw) .
    All these goodys to whet the appetite , but who would you leave out for Adebayor ?

• 69 geordie157 // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Really hope riviere proves many of us wrong and becomes a good squad player. Think playing him off mitrovic will cause sides problems.

• 70 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Adebayor’s problem isn’t so much his attitude, it was clubs overrating and overpaying him. Adebayor refused to take pay cuts, which he had every right to do.

His main problem is that he is a bit of a donkey.

• 71 jayphoto // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:06 PM

@slank – reckon it’ll be him or shelvey not both. Colbacks form has dipped recently but guess it depends how they look in training

• 72 corkypants // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Exactly what im trying to say Hail
    You cant just make a decision on stats alone for example
    Townsend could of played against man city, man utd, chelsea liverpool and arsenal
    Played 5 scored 1 assists 1
    Then you have for example
    Joe Bloggs
    Played against hartlepool wrexham torquay blackpool and plymouth
    Played 5 scored 5 and 2 assists

Whos the better player?

• 73 geordie157 // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Makes sense to get toney out on loan, little bit surprised we haven’t managed to get Satka out on loan. Is he injured?

• 74 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM

corkypants – the quality of the opposition is another statistic. You are using more informative statistics against weaker stats, with the wrong conclusion.

• 75 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM

I challenge anybody to prove stats are misleading, without using more stats to prove it. (A contradiction in terms)

• 76 Jib // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM

Satka is off to York City next week .

• 77 hibbitt // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:18 PM

think he is joining york

• 78 Our Toon // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:24 PM

I think mcclaren will annoy some people come 2pm on saturday with the way he sets the team out. As Shelvey has been promised a more advanced role, I can only see Gini being shifted out left.

Saivet, Colback
    Sissoko, Shelvey, Gini

Hope I’m wrong but it’s madness if he does throw our best attacking player on the left wing again

• 79 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Colback should be looking at the vacancies in the team on the left hand side reckon he could be handy as a winger nothing flashy but works hard, is quick and can cross a ball probably his best bet of a regular game now that we have new midfielders !

• 80 Wayayman // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Corkypants @72

Are we linked with Joe Bloggs again? Every transfer window we seem to get linked with him. Apparently he’s better than Thauvin but I’ve not seen him personally. 😉

• 81 AncientC // Jan 15, 2016 at 1:30 PM

I do not believe McClaren will throw Shelvey and Saivet straight into the team, there is a large risk factor to consider if the game goes terribly wrong with the two new signings in the team.

Getting beat and the two new signings producing a poor performance would be a nightmare scenario for everyone involved.

• 82 Rotonda heights // Jan 15, 2016 at 3:51 PM

neither or both very poorly

• 83 Moonraker15 // Jan 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM

If the mackems win at Spurs ! Not a chance mate they’ve had all their luck this season, especially v Swans! Man sent off for nowt and 3 dodgy goals and they still conceded 2 !

• 84 Faddj // Jan 15, 2016 at 5:16 PM

I’m sorry but our fans are absolutely clueless man…

Firstly, you all think just because we’ve signed two players, they’re gunna both get put straight into the two central roles of midfield? Wake up. I don’t rate Colback in the slightest, but I can assure you, he will be in the center of the park tomorrow.

Secondly, Saivet… I’m well away in his interview, he states “I’ll be playing in the middle”, but everyone of our fans are assuming by that, that means he’s a central defensive midfielder!? Anyone who has seen him play, will tell you he is most definitely 100% not a defensive midfielder. He’s an attacking minded player, played both on the wings and in a central attacking position. He looks a similar kind of player to Sadio Mane to me. Yes, I’m confused as to why we need another CAM as we already have the likes of Gini, Sissoko, De Jong who all in my opinion are best playing through the middle, which takes me to my next point…

Thirdly, Gini, and Sissoko are not wingers!!!!!! It frustrates the life out of me when I see everyone post their line ups and have them both on the wings, they just simply aren’t wingers, I don’t even need to explain why, but they’re just not, end of.

Fourthly, anyone who rates either Colback, or Dummet, need their brains examined, I’ve had many of arguments with many fellow Geordies about this subject, and everytime I get the same response… “ah but they put a shift in though” I’m well aware, they run, they put in the effort, but for me, effort means absolutely bot all if you’re s**t at football! Stop being so “Geordie proud” and praising them for being a Geordie and putting a shift in. We need talented footballers, these two aren’t that, they’re a pair of talentless try-hards.

Fifthly, everyone keeps harping on about “GET A NEW CENTERBACK!”…. We have one, sat on our bench every bleeding week, a big, strong, young kid dying for a chance to prove himself, with many of years ahead of him, his name is Jamal Lascelles. Stop crying out for a “marquee signing” and just give what we have a chance. I keep hearing “ah he’s not experienced enough”, blah blah blah, but what about Mbemba? He’s the exact same age, and has never played in England before, yet he’s showing to me to genuinely be one of the best centerbacks I’ve seen at Newcastle in a long long time. So why not put Lascelles in there alongside Mbemba, two strong, tall young blokes, I think given the chance they’d grow into a phenomenal partnership. I can’t accept this” I know but he’s got no experience at the top level”…. Neither did Wayne Rooney when he was 16 and banged a screamer in against Arsenal! I’m not by any means comparing the two, my point is that he never will get “experience” sat on the bench every week! Throw him in at the deep end, and keep Colo on the bench for back up, I know he done well against Man U, but his best years are behind him, Lascelles best years are ahead of him!

My last point is also referring to another couple of young kids, Aarons and Mbabu, I’m my opinion, they look like the most gifted youngsters we’ve had in years, when fit, get them on the pitch!

Finally, given a fully fit squad, I’d like to give me opinion on what I think would be our strongest line up with our current roster….

—————– Krul —————–

Jaanmat — Mbemba — Lascelles — Mbabu

Elliot, Colo, Saivet, Anita, De Jong, Obertan, Toney.

Get rid of Colback, Dummet, Taylor, Willo, Gouffran, Thauvin, Cisse.

I’m personally sad to see Tiote go, as he gave me the best rush I’ve ever had in my entire life with that corker against Arsenal, but it seems inevitable that he’s off.

Sign Berahino and Townsend this month and I’ll be more than happy with our squad, just providing Steve picks the right starting 11.

I couldn’t give a monkeys chuff with anyone who disagrees with any of my views, because I know for a fine fact my Newcastle team lining up the way I’d like them to, would win alot more games than they have done this season.

Mike Ashley, if you’re reading this, I’ll take Steve’s job in a heartbeat, and I’ll except as little as 2 grand a month, and I bet you’d see a more entertaining team than we’ve seen in recent months.

Thank you, and good night.

• 85 Ravostag // Jan 15, 2016 at 7:04 PM