I Have Always Admired Newcastle – A Great Club And Great City

Jonjo Shelvey and Henri Saivet gave a good press conference yesterday and here’s some of what Jonjo said during the broadcast – and he certainly comes over as a fan of Newcastle United, which we had no idea about – before he signed for us.

It turns out for the last couple of months since he learned the club were interested in him, the 23 year-old had been watching the Newcastle games and he has even got a subscription to nufcTV (he can afford it) checking on all news to do with Newcastle.

jonjo shelvey and jack colback training

Jack Colback and Jonjo Shelvey in training in a cold Newcastle
What´s that white stuff on the ground?

Jonjo was asked if he had any doubts about leaving Swansea for Newcastle with our perilous position currently in the Premier League:

“Not really, the club I’ve just left are also lingering around the relegation zone.” “So it was a no-brainer in terms of playing.”

“People probably expect Swansea to stay up more than Newcastle, but this squad is just as good if not better than Swansea’s. I don’t want to think negatively about where they are.”

“I’m here to help keep us up.”

“Any team that came to Swansea we could really dominate.”  “I have always admired Newcastle, it’s a great club and great city.”

“I have only started to watch Newcastle the past couple of months, once the rumors started about me coming here.”

“I was watching nufcTV on YouTube quite a bit in bed. I was picking up little things.”  “I’ve watched the last few games and they were battering teams, just not scoring, they’ve been unlucky.”

“But with me, Henri Saivet and a couple of new signings, we can stay up.”

“There have been a number of world-class players here and it’s an honor to come here and play for this great football club.”

“I had it at Liverpool but they didn’t know too much about me. I’ve played a lot longer now and I’m quite well known in the game.”

“It was a huge surprise getting a call form Kenny Dalglish,” “My dad is friends with one of his friends from when I was at Liverpool.”

“When I was at Liverpool I got on really well with Kenny and he used to play me quite a bit.” “It was a pleasure for him to ring me and he did the same at Swansea. That means a lot.”

It´s going to be really exciting to watch Jonjo play for Newcastle this afternoon – we hope both Jonjo and Henri start and have very good games and that we win the thing – we need the 3 points.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM

He can afford the suscription, but not a hat apparently. I just hope he gives up trying to murder Harry Potter now.

• expatmag

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Jt

See ya then. Dont let the door smack your a*** on the way out then…….lol

• nufc 11

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM

How in the name of God did Mr Carr miss payet when was going to so many Marseille games to watch a struggling thauvin play something wrong with that picture scouting? A blind man could see payet was suited to epl and at 10 million questions need answering for me.

• toon kk

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM

West Ham are a step too much for Newcastle, we need a pacey proven striker to compete in the premier league.

• WWSBRD

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Haha I like him already

Isn’t he decent at set pieces?

• yorkshire_magpie

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM

SSN reporting Thauvin included in the squad today. So he might not be going after all!

• WWSBRD

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM

nufc 11
    Payet is too old for us

• G

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM

I though Thauvin had a note from his mum excusing him from games?

• expatmag

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM

WWSBRD

Should certainly be an interesting game today but it is a MUST 3 points for us. I dont care how we get them but we Must win

• G

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM

My money is on a draw, but agreed, 3 points today please Shteeve

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

He’s the new joey Barton for us kind of player we have been missing. He will get a screamer today.

• expatmag

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Yorkshire Mag

We havent signed his replacement yet. Probably happen early next week.

• catchy in norway

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

i like the look of our new MF, and the good thing is they are both coming into the squad when we are playing good football, so hopefully the extra bit of quality will help us move on up

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

i don’t think we have what it takes for 3 points today. West Ham are street ahead of us at the moment and Payet will destroy our defence.

Im going for 1-3 defeat.

• catchy in norway

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM

just mark Payet out of the game.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM

i’m gonna say 3-1 to us today

• WWSBRD

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM

expat
    I don’t think we should be scared of West Ham Payet is very good but he’s coming back from injury so…kick him

Fans get on West Hams back then let our lads show their worth

I’d say we will draw tbh

• yorkshire_magpie

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM

14ilovetoon8788. I completely agree with you. Payet and Antonio will destroy us. West Ham are very suited to win away games.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:05 AM

We have been playing well will a weak midfield we have strengthened the midfield now and have good passers who will take us forward not backwards, we need to play wingers to get mitro scoring we don’t get enough balls in the box.

• toon kk

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM

We’re far too inconsistent to say how we’re going to play, but most teams carry a pacey striker to strong for our shaky defence and we are playing with a striker who gets little service and can’t score anyway, so we rely on our goals coming from mid field.

• AncientC

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM

• Ron Knee

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Are Spurs going to do us a favour today?

• expatmag

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Payet is a good player but as much as McLaren will be wary of him, I am sure Bilic will feel the same about Wijnaldum.

We are at home and if we show the same level of commitment today that we showed against MU, I am sure we will win

• expatmag

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM

John Tudor

Are you there, buddy?

• toon kk

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I wonder what’s up with Perez of late? He doesn’t seem switched on atm.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Toon kk

Perez needs to take a seat today but who plays instead?? Does macca give thauvin the nod and say it’s time to prove yourself.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Best get wrapped up for today it’s Baltic, second half will be freezing.

• martoon

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Looking at our remaining fixtures on the last topic we have some tough away games. We do have some winnable home games though and these are the ones that will make or break us!

• yorkshire_magpie

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM

I would give Thauvin a chance. The lad has got quality to provide quality crosses for Mitro

• davetoon

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Bad news that Matip is going to Liverpool in the summer. Need to find another CB.

• Termijn

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Here’s how id line up today
    Elliot
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Colo – Dummett
    Sissoko – Shelvey – Colback – Thauvin
    Wijnaldum
    Mitrovic
    I want to see Thauvin given a decent chance from the start. A bit of confidence from McClaren in his ability could do the world for him. If he’s poor hook him at half time but there’s hardly anyone more deserving to start on the wing. Id also introduce Saivet from the bench as he hasnt played an PL football and is still getting to know his teammates unlike Shelvey who knows the league. Should look at giving Aarons/Marveux cameos later in the game as well.

• expatmag

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Davetoon

I read today that Klopp refused to confirm that about Matip

• CookyToon

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Elliott

Janmaat Mbemba Collo Dummett

Shelvey Colback

Sissoko Wijnaldum Thauvin

Mitrovic

Perez, Saivet another sub later in the game

• Ayozeserious

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM

I think we can win today westham on the road don’t score many goals with our new look midfield we should retain possession better and that should help nulify the treath of payet who trives when his team are on top possesion wise. I just get a feeling that shelvey will score and we will win I think he is a very dangerous player when in the mood and he is out to prove a point to everyone. I’m going for 2-1 mitro and shelvey on the score sheet.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:38 AM

I can see a loss or a draw today, we tend to be a world class team when against the bigger teams but against the lesser teams people seem to forget we play shit.

3-1 to WHU on the books here BUT if we keep the same performance like we did against Manure and Arsenal we could smash them to pieces but then again only if the players want to turn up

• davetoon

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Theyre not allowed to officially announce it but most people saying its a done deal.
    “Matip has told the club that he won’t renew his contract in the summer and Raphael Honigstein says its a done deal that he’s heading to Liverpool “

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Lineup I’ll go for

Elliott
    Janmaat, Chancel, Colo, Dummett
    Sissoko, Saviet
    Winaldum, Shelvey, Thuavin
    Mitrovic

• Termijn

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Its probably for the best we dont sign Matip anyway with the AFCON next year and already having Mbemba.

• davetoon

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:44 AM

If the game is half as good as the last time West Ham visited us I cant wait to watch it
    The club should’ve invited Gutierez as a guest but of course they wouldn’t.

• Malta Mag

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:44 AM

When England came over to MALTA back in 2002 I was one of a handful of supporters allowed in to watch them practice. I remember grabbing some autographs including Shearer and Dennis Wise. Dressed in my Toon top, Wise told me he’d have loved to played for Newcastle in front of the Toon Army. I remember thinking how great that was for a cockney who had won so much in the game to have wanted to play for Newcastle. You get the feeling sometimes that players miss the point about our club that it’s got so much potential and the charasmatic nature of the place. In Shelvey you already feel he’s fully aware of the club and its fan base and is relishing the challenge. I’ve always said the geography has little or no relevance at times. You can be born and bred in the area like Shola(God bless him) and run around like you’ve just got out of bed or you can be born in London like Shelvey or before him Robert Lee and give blood for the cause. I think this looks like a match made in heaven with Shelvey and I’m convinced it could be the best signing we’ve made in years.