The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Have Always Admired Newcastle – A Great Club And Great City

9:43 am, Saturday, January 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 88 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey and Henri Saivet gave a good press conference yesterday and here’s some of what Jonjo said during the broadcast – and he certainly comes over as a fan of Newcastle United, which we had no idea about – before he signed for us.

It turns out for the last couple of months since he learned the club were interested in him, the 23 year-old had been watching the Newcastle games and he has even got a subscription to nufcTV (he can afford it) checking on all news to do with Newcastle.

jonjo shelvey and jack colback training

Jack Colback and Jonjo Shelvey in training in a cold Newcastle
What´s that white stuff on the ground?

Jonjo was asked if he had any doubts about leaving Swansea for Newcastle with our perilous position currently in the Premier League:

“Not really, the club I’ve just left are also lingering around the relegation zone.” “So it was a no-brainer in terms of playing.”

“People probably expect Swansea to stay up more than Newcastle, but this squad is just as good if not better than Swansea’s. I don’t want to think negatively about where they are.”

“I’m here to help keep us up.”

“Any team that came to Swansea we could really dominate.”  “I have always admired Newcastle, it’s a great club and great city.”

“I have only started to watch Newcastle the past couple of months, once the rumors started about me coming here.”

“I was watching nufcTV on YouTube quite a bit in bed. I was picking up little things.”  “I’ve watched the last few games and they were battering teams, just not scoring, they’ve been unlucky.”

“But with me, Henri Saivet and a couple of new signings, we can stay up.”

“There have been a number of world-class players here and it’s an honor to come here and play for this great football club.”

“I had it at Liverpool but they didn’t know too much about me. I’ve played a lot longer now and I’m quite well known in the game.”

“It was a huge surprise getting a call form Kenny Dalglish,” “My dad is friends with one of his friends from when I was at Liverpool.”

“When I was at Liverpool I got on really well with Kenny and he used to play me quite a bit.” “It was a pleasure for him to ring me and he did the same at Swansea. That means a lot.”

It´s going to be really exciting to watch Jonjo play for Newcastle this afternoon – we hope both Jonjo and Henri start and have very good games and that we win the thing – we need the 3 points.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Henri Saivet · Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

88 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM

He can afford the suscription, but not a hat apparently. I just hope he gives up trying to murder Harry Potter now.

• 2 expatmag // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:51 AM

See ya then. Dont let the door smack your a*** on the way out then…….lol

• 3 nufc 11 // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM

How in the name of God did Mr Carr miss payet when was going to so many Marseille games to watch a struggling thauvin play something wrong with that picture scouting? A blind man could see payet was suited to epl and at 10 million questions need answering for me.

• 4 toon kk // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM

West Ham are a step too much for Newcastle, we need a pacey proven striker to compete in the premier league.

• 5 WWSBRD // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Haha I like him already

Isn’t he decent at set pieces?

• 6 yorkshire_magpie // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM

SSN reporting Thauvin included in the squad today. So he might not be going after all!

• 7 WWSBRD // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM

nufc 11
    Payet is too old for us

• 8 G // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM

I though Thauvin had a note from his mum excusing him from games?

• 9 expatmag // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Should certainly be an interesting game today but it is a MUST 3 points for us. I dont care how we get them but we Must win

• 10 G // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM

My money is on a draw, but agreed, 3 points today please Shteeve

• 11 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

He’s the new joey Barton for us kind of player we have been missing. He will get a screamer today.

• 12 expatmag // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Yorkshire Mag

We havent signed his replacement yet. Probably happen early next week.

• 13 catchy in norway // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

i like the look of our new MF, and the good thing is they are both coming into the squad when we are playing good football, so hopefully the extra bit of quality will help us move on up

• 14 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM

i don’t think we have what it takes for 3 points today. West Ham are street ahead of us at the moment and Payet will destroy our defence.

Im going for 1-3 defeat.

• 15 catchy in norway // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM

just mark Payet out of the game.

• 16 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM

i’m gonna say 3-1 to us today

• 17 WWSBRD // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM

I don’t think we should be scared of West Ham Payet is very good but he’s coming back from injury so…kick him

Fans get on West Hams back then let our lads show their worth

I’d say we will draw tbh

• 18 yorkshire_magpie // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM

14ilovetoon8788. I completely agree with you. Payet and Antonio will destroy us. West Ham are very suited to win away games.

• 19 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:05 AM

We have been playing well will a weak midfield we have strengthened the midfield now and have good passers who will take us forward not backwards, we need to play wingers to get mitro scoring we don’t get enough balls in the box.

• 20 toon kk // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM

We’re far too inconsistent to say how we’re going to play, but most teams carry a pacey striker to strong for our shaky defence and we are playing with a striker who gets little service and can’t score anyway, so we rely on our goals coming from mid field.

• 21 AncientC // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM

The form guide looks quite imposing.

• 22 Ron Knee // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Are Spurs going to do us a favour today?

• 23 expatmag // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Payet is a good player but as much as McLaren will be wary of him, I am sure Bilic will feel the same about Wijnaldum.

We are at home and if we show the same level of commitment today that we showed against MU, I am sure we will win

• 24 expatmag // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:13 AM

John Tudor

Are you there, buddy?

• 25 toon kk // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I wonder what’s up with Perez of late? He doesn’t seem switched on atm.

• 26 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Toon kk

Perez needs to take a seat today but who plays instead?? Does macca give thauvin the nod and say it’s time to prove yourself.

• 27 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Best get wrapped up for today it’s Baltic, second half will be freezing.

• 28 martoon // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Looking at our remaining fixtures on the last topic we have some tough away games. We do have some winnable home games though and these are the ones that will make or break us!

• 29 yorkshire_magpie // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM

I would give Thauvin a chance. The lad has got quality to provide quality crosses for Mitro

• 30 davetoon // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Bad news that Matip is going to Liverpool in the summer. Need to find another CB.

• 31 Termijn // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Here’s how id line up today
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Colo – Dummett
    Sissoko – Shelvey – Colback – Thauvin
    I want to see Thauvin given a decent chance from the start. A bit of confidence from McClaren in his ability could do the world for him. If he’s poor hook him at half time but there’s hardly anyone more deserving to start on the wing. Id also introduce Saivet from the bench as he hasnt played an PL football and is still getting to know his teammates unlike Shelvey who knows the league. Should look at giving Aarons/Marveux cameos later in the game as well.

• 32 expatmag // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:34 AM

I read today that Klopp refused to confirm that about Matip

• 33 CookyToon // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Janmaat Mbemba Collo Dummett

Shelvey Colback

Sissoko Wijnaldum Thauvin

Perez, Saivet another sub later in the game

• 34 Ayozeserious // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM

I think we can win today westham on the road don’t score many goals with our new look midfield we should retain possession better and that should help nulify the treath of payet who trives when his team are on top possesion wise. I just get a feeling that shelvey will score and we will win I think he is a very dangerous player when in the mood and he is out to prove a point to everyone. I’m going for 2-1 mitro and shelvey on the score sheet.

• 35 NezzaNUFC // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:38 AM

I can see a loss or a draw today, we tend to be a world class team when against the bigger teams but against the lesser teams people seem to forget we play shit.

3-1 to WHU on the books here BUT if we keep the same performance like we did against Manure and Arsenal we could smash them to pieces but then again only if the players want to turn up

• 36 davetoon // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Theyre not allowed to officially announce it but most people saying its a done deal.
    “Matip has told the club that he won’t renew his contract in the summer and Raphael Honigstein says its a done deal that he’s heading to Liverpool “

• 37 NezzaNUFC // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Lineup I’ll go for

Janmaat, Chancel, Colo, Dummett
    Sissoko, Saviet
    Winaldum, Shelvey, Thuavin

• 38 Termijn // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Its probably for the best we dont sign Matip anyway with the AFCON next year and already having Mbemba.

• 39 davetoon // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:44 AM

If the game is half as good as the last time West Ham visited us I cant wait to watch it
    The club should’ve invited Gutierez as a guest but of course they wouldn’t.

• 40 Malta Mag // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:44 AM

When England came over to MALTA back in 2002 I was one of a handful of supporters allowed in to watch them practice. I remember grabbing some autographs including Shearer and Dennis Wise. Dressed in my Toon top, Wise told me he’d have loved to played for Newcastle in front of the Toon Army. I remember thinking how great that was for a cockney who had won so much in the game to have wanted to play for Newcastle. You get the feeling sometimes that players miss the point about our club that it’s got so much potential and the charasmatic nature of the place. In Shelvey you already feel he’s fully aware of the club and its fan base and is relishing the challenge. I’ve always said the geography has little or no relevance at times. You can be born and bred in the area like Shola(God bless him) and run around like you’ve just got out of bed or you can be born in London like Shelvey or before him Robert Lee and give blood for the cause. I think this looks like a match made in heaven with Shelvey and I’m convinced it could be the best signing we’ve made in years.

• 41 SA Toon // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:45 AM

@Cookytoon @Termijn Agreed. Shelvey to start with Saivet to come off the bench. Wouldn’t like to drop in two midfield newbies to start, but really excited to see what Saivet can bring. Thauvin must be given a chance to showcase his talents. I really don’t think we’ve been fair to him and I suspect he could really come good for us if we give him a chance. If he does start, let’s support him rather than boo him. Can’t see how booing our own players helps our situation.

• 42 ronaldo aarons // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Bullet dodged with matip I think.

• 43 Belfast // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM

2-1 Shelvey with the winner !!

• 44 Belfast // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Nah I think Thauvin will be up the road if Townsend comes in to be honest.

• 45 hibbitt // Jan 16, 2016 at 10:57 AM

be surprised if thauvin comes back

• 46 cyprus // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Hope these two hit the ground running, we sure will need them. Not convinced on Shelvey, hope I’m very wrong and he has a stellar career here. Anyway, the physical side of his name should be a plus, because he won’t be bullied. The other guy I don’t know.

We need a win today, so worried about that sucker punch. One thing about the ManU game, is we were patient, even when we were down, moving the ball from one side to the other (what some people here hate) until a forward opening presented itself. It was our best game yet with this Steve HC. Though we could’ve lost, given our luck.

Which brings me to the final point: yes, one can make his luck, yes, but it still takes luck, if you know what I mean.

• 47 toontaff2 // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:02 AM

3-1 to the Ton!

• 48 toontaff2 // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Toon, even!
    Freezing, so an Ashley Everlast jacket needed!

• 49 why oh why // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Let’s not worry about payet
    They should be worried about us .
    We now have what we have lacked in midfield. 2-1 to us
    Gini and jonjo to score

• 50 CookyToon // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Just watch how vital Shelvey becomes to this club. I can feel it

• 51 Belfast // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Probably exactly the same as the Cabella deal Hibbit, a loan with an automatic buy option after set amount of games.

We’ll definitely be making a loss that’s for sure.

• 52 hibbitt // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:12 AM

belfast are saying he’s in todays squad never expected that

• 53 Nufc-83 // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Nezza that team is awful. Shelvey is a box to box Cm play him as cam and you lose his deep lying passing launching us into attack. Gini has also looked a class above when playing in his natural position as a cam and should have that spot nailed on from now on. Sissokho in the past has looked awful when cdm he doesn’t have the determination or technical ability in the middle and gets crowded out easily as there’s less room to drive into than out wide.

Not sure if people on this blog even watch football!!

• 54 ravz09 // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Austin has medical at southampton – another one missed!!!!

• 55 geordiemark // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:16 AM

am going for 3-0 to the toon, I don’t give a monkies if its west ham or not

• 56 ravz09 // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM

£4m for Austin…..

• 57 hibbitt // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM

i have my doubts about a lot of them…….. its all stats FIFA16 and Football manager

• 58 Belfast // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:19 AM

So basically Qpr done themselves out of money big time lol

I think Leicester offered 12 for him in the summer.

• 59 colwell // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Oh well Austin gone to Saints the blog will go into meltdown now.

• 60 Spud // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:21 AM I don’t post on here very often but I saw this an thought some might want a bit of a nostalgic feeling

• 61 hibbitt // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Saints way ahead of the field what a buy if its 4m…………. just shows we were never in for him

• 62 SA Toon // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Btw – Watching SA playing cricket against England at the Wanderers, Johannesburg and I see some NUFC supporters amongst the Barmy Army. Good to see the Black and White stripes in my home town.

• 63 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:25 AM

At least Ed can stop with the Austin articles now but why the hell were we not all over that for 4 million ?

Same with Gray for 3.5 and Byram for 3 million as well for less than Thauvin!! We need to be picking up these domestic bargains when they are around !!

• 64 hibbitt // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:27 AM

that’s it enjoy the game lads and lasses……..i’m off to the TOON hoping for a win

• 65 geordiemark // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:35 AM

its not Austin we need, its a pacey striker who is built like a brick shithouse, Austin only had a season in the premire league wouldn’t say that is fully tried would yous, we need that pacey striker, a top class central defender and left back and they all have to have premire league experience no more French players please they do my head right in, id have sold sissoko me ive watched him all season he does nothing until his markers stop marking him anyone else notice this

• 66 Essex Geordie Bill // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Austin to Southampton, thank god for that. Didn’t think he was worth all the fuss made about him anyway.
    Perhaps we could now prise Pelle away from them as his contract is running down.

I would be happy with an ugly 1-0 today, glad that AC has managed to crock himself, he’d have been a certain scorer against us. Although I do feel sorry for the lad with his persistent injuries.

• 67 magscar // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM

On earlier thread but just back in since a very early morning read and catching up….

Just to acknowledge your comment to me as is my wont when addressed directly. I don’t wish to rake over the ashes of a matter resolved yesterday as I am certain the Blog doesn’t.

I believe there may have been some dialogue between us over the months but neither of us are daily posters and I have no axe to grind with you and don’t doubt you would feel the same .

For clarity and to simply resolve a loose end my annoyance was to do with being tagged as another poster and not simply you . Having said that as a daily reader of Blog I am well aware of the perception of you by some but have nothing useful to contribute to matter so won’t.

Happy to chat with you as with all others as occasion arises on other matters but this one is now closed hopefully.

• 68 ronaldo aarons // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Bloody hell, £4m for Austin!! We were willing to go to 10-12 in the summer so why not now for a fraction of that.

• 69 geordiemark // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM

SA Toon

its true what they say you will always see geordies throughout the world 🙂

• 70 ronaldo aarons // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM

I know Austin isn’t the type of striker we are looking for right now but for 4 million is dirt cheap for a natural goalscorer. Put Austin in any team and he will get goals as he’s proven at every level he has been at. The type of striker than can sniff goals out and have the knack of being in the right place at the right time. For me he would have replaced cisse in the squad so we can still pursue a pacy striker.

• 71 Toon_Barmy // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Essex Pelle is 30 so he isn’t even an option. 4mill for an English CF proven in the premiership is a steal.

• 72 magscar // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Austin at £4M and depending on wages etc would have been reasonable even if it ended as either him or Mitro as match demanded (prefer Mitro). Still would prefer a pacy and direct forward though.

Given we were/are tied up in at least 3 deals this week is he one that ultimately got away whilst we thought there was time left for that deal or are we looking elsewhere? Who knows as with all things NUFC !

• 73 posada // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM

4m is one thing,but what about wages.
    If it’s 80K a week then forget it.
    NUFC don’t pay that much.

• 74 Jib // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Thauvin is an emotional Frenchman ( not rare )
    Rightly or wrongly he thinks the crowd got on his case at Watford .
    The best way to deal with his fragile self esteem is to throw him on when the team is winning comfortably and let him strut his stuff.

• 75 nut meg // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:54 AM

I don’t really think we’ve missed much,he’s probably better suited to fit the way Southampton play anyway.

• 76 Jib // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:54 AM

We are giving your lads a bit of going over at the Bidvest.
    I always thought the Highveldt would suit us better.

• 77 Nufc-83 // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Lol pelle from Southampton some people make me laugh

• 78 magscar // Jan 16, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Will this mean an end to the CA threads or has Ed got periodical “look what we could have had” or “Phew we had a lucky escape” in thin news times as season head towards the business end.

• 79 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Thauvin WAS ‘got at’ at Watfortd – no two ways about it.
    I recall Obertan getting similar treatment a few years back when we had higher expectations of him.
    I don’t think much of Jeff’s ‘people management’ techniques – psychology ain’t his long suit. A simple answer to a complex problem is almost always wrong.

• 80 NezzaNUFC // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Shelvey is more of a playmaker than a box to box player, he plays DM, CM and AMC.

So it’s you that needs to watch more football mate!

• 81 cyprus // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM

So, the bookies have us down for a win, Lawro for a 1-1 draw. We must get something man. A win really.

Is it us or the Swans these days? Are they playing as badly as their scores? You gotta feel for that welsh guy.

• 82 AncientC // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Austin will be on hefty wages, his transfer value is much higher than £4 million – so he will receive a high percentage of the difference back in wages.

I am just curious if this frees up Shane Long… a very unlikely transfer, but we have been linked with him in the past. Shane Long would be a great player for Adam Armstrong to learn from, as they have a similar style of game.

• 83 NezzaNUFC // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Play Wini in AMC? Why? So he won’t score as many goals?

Keep off the football games man and look to realism!

• 84 will die for the toon army // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM

I dont think we were after Austin any one bit.

• 85 will die for the toon army // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Our striker targets were;

Berahino, Mitrovic, Lacazete, Lassoga, Dost,

Austin was never on that list.

• 86 magscar // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:13 PM

On Thauvin putting players back in firing line much depends on their mental strength and how they seem day to day since a bust up etc.

I see what Jib is getting at and would rather he is introduced into a winning team with confidence than thrown in the deep end when team continue to struggle and crowd are being tipped over the edge.

Was at Northampton game ( yeah I know Northampton!) but he was brilliant and in a very physical game. He started really well and his confidence soared. Still not sure about him but coaches will have seen him every day and must have decided on whether is likely to make grade. He is undoubtedly a confidence player and if we had started well who knows how he might have turned out. Signs are that he may be on way out anyway.

• 87 yorkshire_magpie // Jan 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM

I think Shane Long is a target for Liverpool apparently.

• 88 scout // Jan 16, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Long runs the line like a young michael owen. Seen nowt like it. I’d buy him

previous post: Here’s A Reality Check On Newcastle’s Relegation Fight