The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Report – Magpies May Move For Alternative English Winger

5:58 pm, Monday, January 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 242 Comments

Newcastle are having difficulty negotiating with Tottenham Chairman Daniel Levy, who is standing firm on his £14M valuation of Andros Townsend, a player Newcastle want to sign this week.

But if Levy doesn’t bend a little on the price, Newcastle may go after another English winger – and news in the Chronicle is that it could be 24 year-old QPR winger Matt Phillips.

matt-phillips-queens-park-rangers-qpr_3010798

24 year-old Matt Phillips of QPR

We first saw Phillips playing at Blackpool when the Tangerines were in the Premier League and he’s a decent enough winger who can score goals, but he’s not as good as Andros and wouldn’t cost as much either.

Phillips started his career at Wycombe Wanderers where he signed on as an eight year-old – and made his debut a month after his seventeenth birthday, in April 2008, in a 1–0 defeat to Notts County,

Phillips signed for Premier League club Blackpool in August of 2010 in a deal that was eventually worth around £700K and he stayed at Blackpool for three years. playing there 101 times with 18 goals and 15 assists, before signing on at QPR for a fee of £5M.

Matt has so far played 76 times with 10 goals and 13 assists at the London club and he would offer a similar threat that Townsend offers – since he’s a speedy out-and out winger who both scores goals and makes them.

Matt has played for the England U20 and U21 sides and he has two full caps for Scotland, and is eligible to play for them because he likes a Scotch now and then.

Oh no – sorry – he is eligible because of his Scottish grandparents.

🙂

He made his debut for Scotland against the USA in May of 2012.

Matt is a similar player to Andros but not as good.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

242 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:00 PM

He’s no Charlie Austin, but….

• 3 hibbitt // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:02 PM

i have a feeling aarons will go out on loan he needs game time colback will always be in front of him for the lb spot aarons hasn’t played a prem game for months he needs to play every week to get his sharpness back

• 4 spaghetti bandit // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM

f.s man re post haa
    i was absolutley buzzing to be linked with wissam ben yedder ahen he started following a few of our players on twitter and have been keep typing his name in google to see if any more has came of it,, quite gutted to see spurs are bidding for him,, between 6 and 8 million which i think is a steal for him..

The only pleasing thing if spurs do get him is that there endless pursuit of ayoze should come to an end..

Seriously though on ben yedder,, quick,, gd finisher,, instinctive ,, skillfull for me personally the list goes on.. first came across him 3 or 4 yr ago watching a random game n he was qaulity throughout and was brought more to tha attention of him with us having ben arfa n after tht always looked out for him when toulouse were playing or on football manger etc n would quite reguraly google him for any links with our scouting of france and toulouse imparticular with sissoko,, jus this week they were on bt he had another gd game and bagged himself a goal,, i think he would be tha perfect foil for mitro,,anyone else seen him have an opinion????

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Tsunki

A stfu of toonbrothers!? Quality!

• 6 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM

hibbit
    its looking like another wasted season for aarons….and that makes me wonder if a new deal hinges on the rest of this season….or at least the length and financial size of the contract

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Bandit.

Not seen much of him, but you paint a pretty picture of the lad, so if he is all that, then i’d love to see him playing here.

• 8 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:06 PM

A stfu of toonbrothers

tsunki, best of the lot, by a mile!

• 9 toon kk // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:07 PM

The club needs to go for the correct players, never mind the cheaper option or these potential players who are a massive gamble. That’s why we’re in a relegation battle. Get the right player’s build a team to compete.

• 10 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:07 PM

so on that note, is it a multiple of ians? or a duplicity of jeffs?

• 11 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Whats everyones feelings for tonight? Watford to do us a favour? Swansea to put us back in the sh1t? I am hoping for a draw. Keeps the seans down and wont gove watford too much confidence.

• 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM

What about a Cockwomble of Redknapps?

• 13 jazzyp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Springy

Aarons has been out injured for best part of the season mate.I think that’s why the intention is to loan him out and get him some game time rather than being played in the u21’s.
    Its worked a treat for young Arma going out on loan so I don’t see why the same cannot be done for Rolando

• 14 Polarboy // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

That Philips isn’t as good as Townsend is debatable. He offers more in terms of team work and doesn’t shoot on sight as often as Townsend, his crossing ability is probably better as well. Certainly for the difference in price there certainly isn’t that big a difference in quality, it just so happens that QPR really need the money.

• 15 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

ycmiu
    watford have been off the boil last few games so hope they up there game tonight…draw for me

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM

I see we are top of the injury league again (on days lost to injury). What a shock

• 17 Obertans_on_roids // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM

I would be surprised if we get anyone else in, Austin was the only other possibility.

• 18 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Looks like qpr have replaced austin. Some peterboro striker.

• 19 Mister Tuff // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:14 PM

For tonight a draw is the best result as it represents no achievement of maximum points for both – stop both getting too far ahead.
    having said that I’d like to see the Swans well and truly stuffed.

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM

West ham trying to hijack evertons byram bid

• 21 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Tuff

Yeah the draw is ideal but swcond place for me would also be for swans to get utterly thrashed.

• 22 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:17 PM

jazzyp
    i mate he probs needs to go out on loan tbh….just depends if he gets the games….his injuries just dont seem to let up….him not having a new contract has me guessing the are waiting to see how he gets on…bit strange him and mbabu not nailed down already imo

• 23 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:21 PM

I see Wonga is softening up and going all gooey and touchy-feely by giving their customers three days grace before sending the boys round.

• 24 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:22 PM

How will swans new coach fare then welshie?

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Wonga—we will break your thumbs, but we will also bring flowers.

• 26 Harley // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Surprisingly no one really talking about this article on here.

I think he’d be a decent signing, I thought he might move to a Premiership club in the summer but it never happened.

I’d still prefer Townsend but I think he could do a job. Just like Townsend he’s a 100% improvement on what we have available for the left wing at the minute.

• 27 Ian Toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Dok@10- You and I have not previously communicated. What a crock of ! All it shows is how gullible you are. Don’t believe everything you read.
    When your ready with the apology.

• 28 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Earlier today we reported that Newcastle United sent scouts to the game between Guimaraes and FC Porto at the weekend, along with other English clubs. It’s also been revealed by O Jogo that the Premier League club attended Benfica’s clash with Estoril the previous night.

O Jogo have confirmed Newcastle United were on the scouting list for Saturdays game which Benfica won 2-1. Just like Porto’s game 24 hours later a number of clubs from across Europe attended the Benfica match including Villarreal, Real Sociedad, Lille and Torino.

Despite Newcastle United’s double scouting mission there have been no reports about who they were watching at the weekend, at either game. However, the North East side aren’t often reported to be in Portugal, and there is a possibility they are targeting an addition from Portugal as they look to finalise transfer plans for the last two weeks of the season.

There’s been a distinct increase in Premier League clubs scouting in Portugal in recent weeks, and any last minute panic buying may actually be backed up by advanced scouting.

• 29 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM

So basically three days to remove any valuables that I have in the house Skunki? Get in…

• 30 banjax // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM

With the greatest of respect Phillips is not the player who is going to improve the first team squad at Newcastle above what we have now. Hopefully this a non story and not consistent with previous stories of Ashley authorising the board to ‘Break the bank’ in pursuit of quality players.

• 31 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:28 PM

harley
    not overly confident about this lad tbh…..and dont no much about him…..apart from match of the day and games against us….have to ask why he’s still there if he’s premier class at such a low price??

• 32 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:28 PM

ian,

relax, it was a simple joke about the occasional insinuations…

my apologies, since you haven’t a sense of humor… if someone said a horrid of colonials, id have had a laugh….

• 33 Ian Toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:29 PM

A duplicitous Dok. My American girlfriend asks whether you’re a Enron pensioner?

• 34 Novocastrian66 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Looking at our fixtures for the rest of the season, I think we will do well to reach 38 points. It’s going to be tight right to the end. Any 3 of the bottom 6 for the drop.

• 35 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:31 PM

dok

Maybe; A colonial of Horrid Dok’s

• 36 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:31 PM

firebug
    i read that but it does state who there going to look at or after?…..all a bit vague dont you think?

• 37 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:33 PM

SPRINGY

Newcastle do keep their cards close; but it was unusual that they were in Portugal I thought.

Will have to go through those team sheets now to see who I want…….Damn you Newcastle United, you never make it simple.

• 38 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:33 PM

does’nt state who we are going to look at#

• 39 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Time enough for me to get the deckchair, the black and white portable and the stool it sits on oot the back door Belfast. Win win.

• 40 Ian Toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:34 PM

A history of horrid Dok’s.
    I am finished and accept your apology.

• 41 chewbaccy // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:35 PM

That’s the norm is it not Novo66.

• 42 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:35 PM

firebug
    haha…al let u do the hard work and look…. then you can tell me who’s good!lol

• 43 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM

A Blindfire of Doks 🙂

Ha ha Dok, if you’re going to shoot arrows into the air at random, it’s good practice to think first how many multiple targets there are to hit. He he.

• 44 Ian Toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Belfast – Not sure it’s your thing but are you attending the Question Time recording in Belfast- next Thursday.

• 45 Ian Toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Tsunki- You are awful.

• 46 check the toastie // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM

How about a boredom of bloggers

• 47 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM

SPRINGY

Iv’e just been looking mate and well….They all seem a bit foreign!

• 48 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:39 PM

No Ian but I will be tuning in. Hopefully they don’t put the ones with no teeth in the front row.

• 49 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:41 PM

An Enron pensioner? well You and I have not previously communicated. What a crock of ! All it shows is how gullible you are. Don’t believe everything you read.
    When your ready with the apology…

• 50 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM

A history of horrid Dok’s You and I have not previously communicated. What a crock of ! All it shows is how gullible you are. Don’t believe everything you read.
    When your ready with the apology

• 51 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM

firebug
    well thats not on!…awkward buggers

• 52 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM

tsunki @43, and firebug

you both and i seem to have a sense of humor… well done 🙂

• 53 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Isn’t Matt Phillips Scottish?

• 54 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Well Scottish international anyway

• 55 Jib // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:47 PM

As soon as the collective noun thing started I was just waiting for the children to turn it personal.

• 56 welshgeordie9 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Not looking forward to tonight’s match.

• 57 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM

gonna watch the Swans-Wat game tonight think Swansea are in for a walloping

• 58 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Ha ha ha Question Time… Ha ha belfast ha ha ha ha ha ha Question…Ha ha ha Time… Ha ha ha ha ha ha….

• 59 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM

welsh
    draw for me mate watford been below par

• 60 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM

a Jibberish of Jib???

• 61 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha Question Time… ha ha ha ha ha

Ha

Ha. Ha.

• 62 Ian Toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Dok – Quit whilst you’re not too far behind , big guy. Otherwise I will hunt you down when I’m over in June. I hear Bigfoot encounters are fairly common in your State. If there is anything you don’t understand I will be happy to translate.

• 63 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM

jib, was just making a joke, nothing personal…

if one cannot laugh at himself, one should not laugh at others…

• 64 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM

oh, is that a threat?

little man, be happy to give you my address…

• 65 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM

A Punnet of Dummets….thats my only input

Oh, and a S**tload of Shearers 😀

• 66 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:53 PM

an idle threat of Ian’s?

calm down daft lad

• 67 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Yes sir… you have a question?

Belfast – “Yes. I was wondering about the consequences of a European Community exit to the Northern Ireland economy and whether the minister could tell me what my favourite colour is?”

• 68 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM

He He he

• 69 loonie-toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Mayb. If we gunner loan arrons out loan him Coventry get him building a partnership with arma could b a thought

• 70 Ian Toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Belfast- Catch you later, the train I’m on has broken down. I appear to be the only passenger not irate because I’ve been entertained.

• 71 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Welshie
    I know I said Swansea would get found out this season but seriously whats gone on there this season?

• 72 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:55 PM

I think it’s Puce. That’s where my money is.

• 73 chewbaccy // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Meet him at the airport and give him a proper TEXAN WELCOME

• 74 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM

loonie-toon
    not a bad idea as long as he’s starting to get his fitness built up

• 75 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Oh dear. It’s all gone horribly wrong.

I think a Chill of Pills may be required 😀

• 76 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM

🙂

• 77 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:58 PM

I think Swansea need to sign somebody like Jonjo Shelvey he would be great…….Oh wait!

• 78 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Sticks and stones eh?

• 79 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM

pmsl firebug

• 80 welshgeordie9 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Take a Chancel on me

I do remember you saying that, also were you the one that said that you don’t like like swans, to answer your question, I haven’t got a clue what’s going on at the club mate it’s a joke, couple of players have been linked with other clubs, no one has arrived yet it’s a pissing joke.

• 81 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Yeah Swansea blog should have a Jonjo Shelvey article every day. See how they like it.

• 82 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Cumon Watford and whilst you win get striker injuries please

• 83 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM

ian wont need “to hunt me down”, id be right in front of him…. make him pick up my bar tab too haha

• 84 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Sticks n stones will break my bones, but a semi-automatic assault rifle will kill me.

• 85 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Oh well it looks like for Ian it’s no more Mr Nice Guy. Hmm. Hang on. Let me just rethink that…. only kidding Jack. Ian. Sorry.

• 86 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Welshie
    Whilst I admit I don’t like Swansea, I am surprised and appalled at the goings on down there. It’s like the blind leading the blind.

• 87 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM

I think he’s turning ugly. No. Nope that’s not it either…

• 88 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM

welsh,

may I ask how your dad is? hoping all the best for you and yours

• 89 Harley // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Springy

I agree he’s not exactly going to set the club on fire. He had a good second half to the season when qpr went down and I thought someone would come in for him, I was surprised when he didn’t move.
    I couldn’t tell you how he’s done since as I’ve not seen 1 qpr game this season.

• 90 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Question Time. Ha.

• 91 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Tsunki
    When has Ian ever been nice??/

• 92 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Swansea look a bit like we did the other week. it’s a very sad state of affairs that is.

• 93 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Chancel

Is Ian not nice?

A humourless of Ian’s.

• 94 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Old Belfast is quite a fan of politics Skunki. They should probably draft in Jeremy Kyle instead of David Dimbleby this week though 🙂

• 95 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:06 PM

I must admit I watch question Time too

• 96 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:06 PM

careful firebug,

he might hunt you down too…

• 97 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Ian is already a collective noun isn’t he? 😉

• 98 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Belfast

Jezza is booked solid in Sunderland for the next 5 months. A lot of people there he can parasit…. a mean help.

• 99 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:08 PM

I* not a

• 100 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Hunt you down who does he think he is Bear Grylls?

• 101 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:08 PM

dok

Damn it, why didn’t you tell me, and I can’t even run away.

Oh well in for a penny and all that.

• 102 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Politics. Hmm. Never pegged you as a political animal Belfast. How do you stand on the issue of Quantitative Easing? Personally I prefer a decent turbo laxative.

• 103 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:10 PM

hahahaha Tsunki

• 104 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Looks like Ian has watched “taken” to many times.

• 105 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:11 PM

He’s taken something too many times

• 106 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:11 PM

TFL if I spent as much time lying about in hospital I’d probably watch reruns of teletubbies. And I’ve seen them all.

• 107 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Tsunki

PMSL: This is not helping my sides.

• 108 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Chancel

An LSD of Ians?

• 109 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Tbh In hospital I read loads of books, costs an arm and a leg to watch the TV in there

• 110 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:12 PM

looks like ill have to flee the state when he comes over to hunt me down… im actually considering going into ed’s blogger protection program in AZ…

dammit, now he knows that too!!

• 111 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM

He will hunt you down. He will find you. And then he will bore you to death with his rambling posts

• 112 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Chancel

Don’t tell them that they’ll take em.

• 113 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM

I like that YCMIU

• 114 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM

YCMIU,

that sir, is most inappropriate lol

• 115 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Hahaha firebug

• 116 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM

A Plethora of Ians.

• 117 Jib // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM

On Sunday 27th October 2013 a 20 year old Saido Berahino who was on loan at Peterborough United scored two goals against Derby County in a 3 -0 home victory.

McLaren had been appointed manager of DC just the month before.

He’s been a massive Berahino fan ever since.

Although the bookies have Chelsea as favourites to sign SB I think we’ll bust a gut to try and get him.

• 118 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Always new me and you where on a different level Ian. Higher Iq than most, so it’s to be expected.

Like two premier league players playing in the vanarama conference so it is.

• 119 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:14 PM

thanks for that tsunki,

out of my will you go 🙂

• 120 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Dok maybe you better get some tips on hospital life before Ian turns up?

• 121 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:16 PM

so, if NUFC signed ian, would it be like two signings, or three?

• 122 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Tsunki – Belfast is on about IQ are you sure it’s not mastermind instead of Question Time

• 123 Robby Bobson // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Wasnt he known as the assist king in tbe prem a couple of seasons ago??

Im guessing like the rest of qprs semi talented players hes riddled with inconsistsntly.

Certainly will have a good highlight reel im guessing, can strike a ball and put a cross in.

• 124 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:16 PM

dok

He will Hu……..Nah Fcuk that I want Tsunki’s place in that will 😀

• 125 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Is that the doorbell Dok?

😀

• 126 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Dok
    I think with all the aliases he’d fill the squad lol

• 127 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:19 PM

I think if we just signed Townsend and Raphael Guerriero it’d be a succesful window.

Personally, I’d go for Ben Arfa, Guerriero, Loic Remy and Koulibaly.

• 128 Jib // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Welshie
    Oh Dear
    Quique Flores has picked a very aggressive looking 4 – 4 – 2 🙁

• 129 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Leave Ben Arfa where he is thank you lol

• 130 firebug666 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Chancel

I think Benny would be great with this set up we have now, but we have enough No 10’s so maybe on the left wing.

• 131 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Ketsy I hate to break it to you but we already tried the HBA and it gave us all indigestion.

I feel sorry for Dok. He’ll spend the rest of his days looking over his shoulder.

• 132 Jib // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Brendan Rodgers has just said something I’ve often thought.
    He said quite often when he picked a team he let the pundits talk about systems , for him it was often an irrelevancy , he was just trying to fit his best , inform players into a team.

I do think sometimes pundits and commentators miss the basic simplicity of footy and see stuff that ain’t there.

• 133 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM

A bit like Janmaat ha ha boom boom on fire tonight, don’t forget to try the ribeye it’s delicious.

• 134 GloucesterGeordie // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Not sure if anyone has said already but SSN reporting Swansea have rejected a bid from the mackems for Andre ayew and they may go back in, would anyone on here fancy him? I think he’s a great player myself, if gomis is apparently on our list surely we should look at him

• 135 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM

tsunki,

nah, ill just be blogged to death, and find him under the doormat, using my free wifi to annoy the blog….

• 136 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Jeff actually that is a salient point. Take a seat, I’m about to agree with you. A lot of teams ain’t about tactics at all, especially when the season progresses and the injuries pare down the squads. Look at us – we’ve only just managed to fill a team sheet for the last two years never mind get them in any order.

• 137 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Belfast is fuming right now, biggest mistake he ever made breaking up the double act. He’d be making serious money now if it wasn’t for his ego. 🙂 should never have taken Ian’s advice ha ha who’s laughing now ha ha ha ha…..

Seriously though, who is laughing now?

• 138 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM

I think we should hijack Ayew just to stop the scumsuckers from getting him.

• 139 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Howay Watford give Swansea a whipping and us up all ur goals for the month

Quite happy seeing Swansea in the muck (even if it is with us) though it would be sweeter if Monk was still at the helm leading them to the championship

• 140 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Typical Liverpool talking about the past, just talk about the weekend football lads.

• 141 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:37 PM

WWSBRD…

don’t need Watford finding their form with us playing them next week however…

• 142 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Welsh I think you’re going to find it a bit cringe worthy on the blog the neet. Not much love spreading around for your beloved Swans.

• 143 Jib // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Gloucester
    He’s one of those that started like a train then went off the boil a bit.
    The new environment of the Toon with lots of Francophones and his mate J-JS might just inspire him to revive his form.

• 144 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Didn’t Ayew cost Swansea around 10mill all told? I dare say he will rinse the buying club for another chunk of change

Plus he’s not exactly lit the league on fire I’d not want him here

What Matt Philips about then? I seem to of mistaken him for Jarvis all this time when his name has been brought up…who the heck is Matt Philips then?

• 145 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM

I see the PM has been on the news talking about free lessons to teach immigrant women to understand English. Obviously hasn’t come across this blog.

• 146 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:44 PM

dok
    How about they stick 6 past Swansea then during the celebrations Igalo scissor kicks Troy and injures them both?

Tbh I think Newcastle can do over even an on form Watford (I know I know they beaten us twice BUT in neither game was it particularly deserved for me)

• 147 Tsunki // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:45 PM

For the sake of my ailing FPL team I really need Ighalo to get at least two hat tricks. Three would be better though.

• 148 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:50 PM

You’lllllllllllllll never work again Skunki.

• 149 Goofy // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Omfg!! Of Oberans

• 150 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Sign on tomorrow that’s my advice

• 151 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM

If Watford find there touch again I can see them winning 5/6-0 if not maybe 2-1

• 152 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Belfast
    For years I always thought Bin Dippers were singing:
    You’ll never walk again until my Liverpool fan father told me it was alone lol

• 153 nufc 11 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Phillips has Beckham Esq crossing ability main reason Austin got 18 pl goals last season mitro would love him in the team I’d rather him than Townsend any day.

• 154 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I’d love Ayew. Surely Swansea aren’t seriously going to sell? Do they want to go down? He’s been probably been their best player this season. Him or Sigurdson would be immense for us. Sigurdson very Cabaye-esque, never understood why we didn’t try and sign him from Spurs. But I highly doubt they’ll sell any more key players…it seems Shelvey was deemed a ‘bad egg’ type and apparently had a lot to do with Monk losing the dressing room. Not complaining like after his performance Saturday 😀 but yes, Ayew would be quality, far better than Townsend anyway

• 155 loonie-toon // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Wini signing of season on this 115
    points

• 156 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Nufc 11 – my fellow ‘esquer’ 😀

• 157 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 7:56 PM

nufc 11
    Beckham esque delivery? Why is he in the championship then?

• 158 SUTTY1978 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Matt Phillips is decent, remember at Blackpool they had Ince on the left and Phillips on the right. Ince was a bit more flashy but phillips was more of a team player. When he was on form he was much the better of the two. Saying that Ince was a bit of a flop in the premier league as was phillips at QPR so in essence neither of them are a step up. I wouldnt drop perez for phillips but he would be ok as a sub for chucking balls in the box.

• 159 Transfer Sage // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM

I’d like to get Phillips in, very good ability.

QPR gambled keeping him and austin, trying to fire them back to the prem league and the TV money. Now they don’t look like going up I’m guessing they are cashing in as the players will want out.

• 160 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Was it Phillips who scored a blinder V Chelsea?

• 161 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM

If we are nicking players from Swansea, how about Neil Taylor? decent left back

• 162 sing in the corner // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Interested to watch the Welsh this evening. They’ve got a ghastly look about them these days.. Doomed? Possibly.. Definitely if they continue to sell their assets.

• 163 SUTTY1978 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Loonie – no doubt most of the pundits would disagree and go for someone signed by the big four or one of their favourite London clubs

• 164 catchy in norway // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Belfast

i have an IQ of 132, tested by my doctors, but left school with nothing, not 1 qualification because i have ADD and dyslexia, and i only found out 3 month ago,

IQ means nothing if you dont have a peice of paper to say you have been to school .

• 165 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Take a chancel…id take Taylor, Williams, Ayew, Gomis and Ki, if we could sell a couple midfielders that is and if Swansea want 2 go down too

• 166 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM

That is very true Catchy

• 167 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Chancel
    We tried that before he wasn’t keen

• 168 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Actually, throw in Routledge just for comedy value

• 169 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Roblee
    Agree with Taylor and Ayew not sure bout other 3

• 170 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:07 PM

WWSBRD
    Might be now because Swansea look doomed

• 171 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM

What happened to Michu?? Is he completely knackered or something?

• 172 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM

sigurrdson?

• 173 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Michu plays in the 4th tier of Spanish football

• 174 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Sorry UP Langreo in 3rd tier of Spanish football

• 175 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Chancel
    Hmm but he used us to get a new contract…it’d feel dirty if we signed him now

Plus is he that good? I’d rather get that Jetro character from Holland or that Raphael character from France

• 176 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Chancel…seriously??? He was quality couple years back n just seemed to vanish. I thought he had serious injury or something and was doing a Marcelino / Owen

• 177 Thump // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:13 PM

@roblee7: Injuries kept him out of the squad, he went on loan to Napoli but was (you’ll see a theme here) injured and went back to Swansea where he was released. Now he’s playing for a semi-pro squad in Spain iirc.

• 178 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:13 PM

WWSBRD
    fair point, Willems is a cracking player

RobLee
    Seriously yeah

• 179 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Thats mental. Just googled him and you’re right. Wierd

• 180 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Thump…shame, he was quality

• 181 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Or that Jose Gaya from Spain haha how much would that kid be worth? Maybe bribe him with some greggs and offer him bunkbeds with Ayoze? Never ending sleepover not sway him?

• 182 Thump // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM

@roblee7: Yeah, something went on. Would love to know if his body just gave out on him or if it was something else. I remember when they signed him and he was playing off the bench – no matter how comfortable the scoreline, you could actually see defenders thinking “fsck.”

• 183 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Swans look like we did at the start of the season. And look at the names on the team sheet. Most of them you’re thinking ‘whoooo??’ When last year they had a team that caused problems. We SHOULD beat both theae teams on current form. Shelvey must have been the difference in the first game at swansea

• 184 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Chancel
    Gini’s bff so the story goes, he fit now?

• 185 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM

He’s meant to be yeah

• 186 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Pansy defending from swans there. A better cross from deeney and watford were in front.

• 187 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM

We need a winger and full back who just put quality into the box no more fancy flicks Phillips would be good at this would be better for Mitrovic if we signed him

Ayew for Swansea great little player we should have pushed the boat out for him instead of Thauvin !!

• 188 toon kk // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Swansea 1up

• 189 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM

And having said all that, Watfords defending is worse!!! So weak.

• 190 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM

That was appalling defending by Watford/
    Got me feeling we’ll do Watford over Saturday

• 191 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Watford not playing that well we need to come out like we did against West Ham and I think we can blow them away

• 192 WWSBRD // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Chancel
    Well I still can’t say I’ve seen much of him but I like his name so am sold…but we won’t be getting a LB this window imo for some unknown reason Dummett is seen as a LB

• 193 roblee7 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Thump – its certainly unusual, we should snap him up. Injury prone, would now cost peanuts, just out type of player. Another swansea player i like who i presume is injured is Montero

• 194 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:47 PM

watford are nee where near as good as earlier this season…..very poor upto now

• 195 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM

If you can stop Deeney playing you pretty much nullify Watford so you need to press them high up the field as well so when he gets it he is nowhere near the goal !

• 196 lesh // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM

And another collective noun –

The Newcastle United squad?

An antholgy of pros….

• 197 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Both teams look desperately poor tonight

• 198 nufc 11 // Jan 18, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Modern wingers can’t cross a fact maybe their Calfs are to small I dunno but this lad sure can best crosser of the ball last season maybe kolerov better but he puts them in the box for fun it’s a no brainer shocked a bigger club hasn’t signed him for his crossing ability alone. Ac or mitro would double their goal tally with Phillips in their team.

• 199 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM

whatever the result just hope we don’t do something daft to let them get some confidence coz if we can keep there heads down this side look there to be taking off tonights showing…..unless theres a major change in attitude by watford we’ll be back in the bottom 3 tonight

• 200 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Could do with Watford nicking a goal and making it a draw

• 201 nufc 11 // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Phillips can cross the ball like shelvey can pass it he is that good, a team player with a strong work ethic sign him stevo.

• 202 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Phillips would be better for £5 mil than Townsend for £14

• 203 defenders needed // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Come on Watford!!!

• 204 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:14 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Sky sources: Watford in talks with Sunderland over deal to sign goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon

You gotta be kidding!!!!

• 205 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:15 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Sky sources: Leeds defender Sam Byram will not be joining Everton.

• 206 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM

I think we should be trying to sign Byram

• 207 toonincheek // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Chancel –
    That’s interesting about Byram.
    Must be a medical-related problem – everything else was (reported to be) agreed.

• 208 GloucesterGeordie // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Byram not going to Leeds, I would love us to go in and get this lad, watched him for a while now and think he will go all the way, costing peanuts aswell in the grand scheme of things! West ham in for him at the minute

• 209 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM

think he’d be a steal for the price

• 210 JP...from The Rock // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Watching the Swansea vs Watford match and the swans are winning 1-0!! Watford are fking terrible I think they’ve only had like 3 shots! Swansea look like they will now leap frog above us and I certainly hope we can beat Watford as they are really bad at playing. They are there for the taking and now we need the points more than before thanks to Swansea if this result stays the same.

• 211 defenders needed // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Byram definately Young British talent to invest in instead of French flops

• 212 JP...from The Rock // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Thats good news about Byram as I really rate him hope we go in for him. Really strong teamplayer that can cross the ball and play as a RW and RB!

• 213 AncientC // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Gomis on for Swansea, it is always fascinating to watch just how bad he is.

• 214 SUTTY1978 // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:41 PM

JP, you’re right, Watford look shocking, cant make a 5 yard pass. They look like they believe their own hype. Will probably go back to basics against us and hoof it to the big man meaning Colo will be on the end of another Toonbrother tirade for getting dominated by Deeney!

• 215 Obertans_on_roids // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:46 PM

If we beat Watford this weekend they are in real trouble, the run of fixtures they have after us is very though. I imagine they will finish below Swansea anyway.

• 216 JP...from The Rock // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Sutty1978- yeahh lol toonbrother will no doubt be on Colo’s case again at the weekend! Swansea getting nervous now and using 3 CBs Watdord should go all out and at least snatch a draw and do us all a favour we need one!

• 217 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM

How close was Jurado?

• 218 JP...from The Rock // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Every time I want any club to do us a favour they never do damn it!!

• 219 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Neither team deserved to win this

• 220 Dingo†® // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:53 PM

back in teh relegation zone

• 221 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Three things I’ve learnt tonight.
    Watford are shit
    We’re in the bottom three again
    We’ve got a cart and Swansea have a barrow

• 222 toon kk // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:55 PM

We’re back in our usual zone.
    We’re going to be under pressure until the end of the season.

• 223 geordie157 // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Have to say if the front two aren’t playing well then Watford are poor, Swansea look average.

Providing we get some consistency and play like we did for the first 30mins vs west ham we’ll be fine.

I still think west brom will be fairly close to going down.

• 224 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 18, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Scott Sinclair for 2m??? We need a left winger

• 225 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Four defeats on the trot for Watford now. Can we make it five ?

We always have this knack of helping teams out when they’re on these dodgy runs like, just ask Palace we made them look like Barcelona lol

• 226 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:02 PM

watford be far away from the drop if they keep playing like that….fair enough they were better in the second half but poor overall…..hope our lads were’nt watching they’ll think they just have show up on sat to get the points…..they’ll just forget about the other 2 defeats!!lol

• 227 SPRINGY // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:03 PM

watford wont be far away from relegation#

• 228 Belfast // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Watford definitely still in the shit mix. Must win game last week, must not lose this week. 🙂

• 229 SUTTY1978 // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Thing is the last couple of games were at home, theres no getting away from the fact that we’re still awful away from home and can’t score in a brothel. All of Wijnaldums goals have been at home, so if we are to win I’m looking at Perez and Mitro to get the goals, which lately they haven’t been doing. I’ve still got some faith in them to come up with the goods

• 230 geordie157 // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Byram to west ham I’m guessing then.

• 231 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Sutty last away game we dominated Arsenal and gini is now playing in his best position and we have Shelvey and his forward passing which gives us a better look.

• 232 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Belfast – probably not
    As you say TOON have the knack of helping the teams around them.
    Interesting fixtures this weekend
    Watford v TOON
    Mackems v Bournemouth
    Norwich v Liverpool
    Everton v Swansea
    West Brom v Villa
    Arsenal v Chelsea

• 233 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM

So we could get Sinclair, Byram and Phillips for less than what Spurs want for Townsend, seems like a good deal to me

• 234 NewcastleMole // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Sinclair is a scrawny runt with a terrible attitude

• 235 SUTTY1978 // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Eaststand, I hope you’re right mate, just easy to get carried away and think we can take on the world off the back of a couple of decent performances. We played very well against Arsenal but still didn’t win. We played very well against Watford away in the FA cup and lost that one as well.
    Granted Wijnaldum is now playing his preferred position but he did manage to score four against Norwich playing from the left so it wasnt holding him back too much! Infact playing from the left he was able to drift in unmarked whereas now he’ll probably have a DM trailing him in most games.
    Anyway as I said, hope you’re right, just dont think we should get ahead of ourselves. The mackems probably thought they had turned a corner and then went away and got smashed at Spurs!

• 236 expatmag // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Coming in late here but what about cocoa of colos or a tuft of tuffers…….lok

• 237 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Sutty

I think we can get 4 points out of the next 2 games if we turn up, we will soon find out on sat, we have been putting chances away now. Mitro to get a brace he has to start banging them in soon.

• 238 magscar // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM

catching up and intrigued to find JIB and Tsunki on the same page – a first?

Subject? Rogers comments on team selection and pundits. Got me thinking of an old favorite of mine – our near miss season.

Pundits then and since blame purchase of Asprilla for unbalancing the team when we way out in front of Man U.

At that time my thoughts were and still remain that this was an easy cop out. My view was that KK was bent on putting out his best players and the formation was secondary. This meant accommodating Asprilla and Beardsley at same time and although Beardsley was and still is my all time favorite NUFC player he shouldn’t always have started.

Basically KK fell into the trap that even modern managers can do of trying to squeeze best players into a side rather than play his best side which may mean leaving one of his best on bench. Best side isn’t always your best players .

Raises another argument about whether or not ex players who shine as pundits but haven’t seen as many matches as the hard core supporter has of a particular club can call things better just because they are ex-pro’s. I think not.

If I sat and watched any other team but Newcastle with such a pundit I reckon my views wouldn’t be on same level as theirs mostly. But on looking at that season I would rather go with my own view as to where it went wrong than any pundit.

How often do you shout at Football Focus or Sky on a Saturday ( when we actually play that day!) when the panel make such ill-informed comments about our club . I try to remember that feeling when they talk so glibly about other teams that I don’t know as well and wonder just how inaccurate they may be with their comments on those clubs as well.

• 239 expatmag // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Eastendgeordie

Quite possibly but you need to factor in three salaries against one salary over the probable length of a 5 year contract too.

Not going to happen

• 240 JamesToon // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM

On one hand I can see us beating Watford convincingly because I think we have to much quality in attack for them, on the other hand though they’ve had 4 straight defeats and seems like it’s scripted for them to end that and only for us to go back to square 1.

We simply have to pick up from where we left off against West Ham keep that intensity and tempo.

• 241 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Expatmag

True but it we offload willo, thauvin, goofy and tiote that frees wages up with more wages getting freed up in June due to contracts ending.

• 242 Toon Tang // Jan 18, 2016 at 11:01 PM

How’s it popping lads and lasses?

Having just finished watching the full match in glorious technicolour, I have these observations..

Mitrovic is an absolute player and a half, his hold up and flicks and chests down and sly heads to bring others in to play are perfecto, absolute joy to watch. If he could add the goals he would be the allrounder we’ve been crying out for. He’s just trying to be too precise with his shooting, hes bashing shots at the keeper rather than the posts. Once he starts burying these chances, which he will, he won’t be able to stop if he tried.

Shelvey really is the missing link that our mid needed eh, straight from the ko it was blatant as van gaals block heed that all that midfield needed was the cabaye type threader and sprayer. Well played to whoever decided on that bit of business anyways.

Colo has had a new lease of life over these last few games eh. He looked pretty much perfect in this match as did mbemba who was unlucky with the BP. I’ve been the first to give colo grief over the season but the boy done good.

Gini is a proper engine, the lad doesn’t stop running and this game showed that he has tricks to beat a man In abundance as well. His link up play and runs into the box are looking better each game. Just needs to put a bit more beef behind some of his shots.

The whole team played superb in this game and you can see the lift that a couple of signings and a proper passer has given the players. Watford will still be a tricky one though.

previous post: Midfielder Could Be Given New Role At Newcastle