Newcastle Want To Sign England Whiz Kid

There are reports that Newcastle are interested in signing 18-year-old Harry Chapman of Middlebrough – and the Hartlepool forward was a team mate of Newcastle’s Adam Armstrong in the England U18 side.

The Sun are reporting that Newcastle are very keen on signing the Middlebrough youngster this month and he’s been in excellent form this season for the Middlebrough Reserve (U21) side.

harry chapman 987

Middlesbrough 18 year-old winger Harry Chapman

His contract still has 18 months to run and it’s not unusual for Newcastle to try to sign some of the best young players in England.

Middlebrough have an excellent Youth Academy and they have been a lot more successful than Newcastle in bringing though young players.

But they are not daft either and we’d be very surprised if they would want to sell Harry to neighbors Newcastle United, especially when they are likely to become a Premier League club again next season.

harry-cahpman-with-aitor43543-2208150_478x359

Harry Chapman with Aitor Karanka
This was a year ago when he signed his first professional contract

Middlesbrough are currently top of the Championship on 55 points and they are 6 points clear of third placed Derby County and have a game in hand.

This is what Middlesbrough’s U21 manager Paul Jenkins said about Harry a couple of months ago:

“Harry is one of many players who has made good progress both in possession of the ball, and more importantly for me, his work rate without the ball.”

“He can set the world alight with his individual talent, but as a coach, I’m even more delighted with his understanding and his contribution to the team.”

“He can be as good as he wants to be, like many of our young players. But he needs to keep his head down, work hard and understand that he’s part of a team.”

“His individual talent will always catch people’s eye, that’s for sure, but he needs to keep going.”

It would be very surprising if manager Aitor Karanka would want to lose Harry Chapman before next season.

What do you think?

• Jib

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Karanka will fight tooth and nail to keep him.
    Boro will need him in the PL.

• toon kk

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:59 PM

More speculation!!!!!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM

@Jib

Shelvey is not Tiotes replacement ! Hes Cabayes replacement thats about 2 years late !

Could argue Saviet will be Tiote replacement but he wont be on 60 k a week like Tiote is !

We do need to free up space in the squad and theres no way we will pay Tiote 60k a week to be on the bench and sign Townsend as well !!

• WWSBRD

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM

should be concentrating on first team right now

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Yup more speculation that I am quite tired of tbh. I want signings done ASAP enough with the rumours already!

• hibbitt

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:16 PM

toonkk not this time
    this lad is a very good player seen him play quite a few times big strong lad with a football brain don’t think there’s any chance of us signing him when he leaves boro it will be for big money ……newcastle are not the only prem team watching him

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM

WWSBRD,
    Yeah, we need to look at first team, but is it really too difficult to get in a lad like this whilst working on senior signings as well. I know our lot aren’t the most competent bunch, but surely even they can manage to work on senior and development at the same time.

• Jib

Tiote——————————Shelvey
    Wijnaldum——————–Wijnaldum
    Sissoko————————-Sissoko
    Colback————————–Colback
    Mitrovic————————-Mitrovic
    Perez——————————-Perez

Babbling on about a player who did the club over for a move to sit on PSG’s bench 2 years ago , is hardly germane to your first point.

• WWSBRD

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Lil
    Mate id love to think they were capable of that but i truly think they still have Velcro shoes because they can’t master the bunny ear method

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:28 PM

soccer sauce update;
    toon and spurs squabbling over price both want deal just two hard nosed chairman

• LGFUAD21

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Continuing convo from way early today.

LG (the other one)

On the Commercials
    Spurs have risen and we have sunk since then. I dont think that is complacency on the business side, but rather the football shortfalls have harmed our rep as a big club (we’ve gone from being premier league nearly boys, to persistent crisis relegation fodder and coming back from the Champ hasnt helped.( I dont blame MA for relegation at all. he didnt sign the deadweight and twilight paycheckers that were here. He certainly mismanaged keegan through inexperience of wanting to have someone he trusted running the club (which you would if you’d spent all that money on it).

I think we are somewhat in agreement that the blueprint is not the problem but the execution is. We definitely need to work on our academy if we want to follow the Ajax and Arsenal template.

You could be right about the stars aligning more to Schteeve.

JFA
    We certainly wouldnt have done a leeds but I honestly didnt think we’d be here again after the summer reinforcements and I also think its a bit unlucky that we are. A handful of luck would’ve gone a long way. I know thats leaving it all to the mystics but it’s true to an extent. We have been dealt a shocker of a hand at every turn this season.

On that note, I dont blame the decision to not spend £100m. We’ve seen united and Spurs waste £100m like that. Spend a bit, re-assess and the first £50m spend should inform you of where to spend the second £50m. Not to mention you cant just have a new starting 11 is doesnt work.

I can fault where they spent some (Thauvin!!!) but I can see the logic in spending £50m summer then £50m (tbd) now rather than blowing it all at once. Had we done that and then squandered it, we’d be in a far worse state than now, we’d have nothing left to spend and we’d be well and truly screwed.

I’m not defending the regime at all. I’m just talking about some cynicism (in general on here). Maybe the board consciously decided to sign some players (not even they could deny we needed it) and then let the manager assess it for winter and let them know what he now need.

The signs are there: On paper we woulnt have bough a midfielder based on previous actions. We have about 5. But Mcclaren must’ve pressured them for a creative one in the Cabaye mould. Carr must’ve referred to his list and brought Shelvey up again.

• jazzyp

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Springy

Levy or the Fat controller…..who will back down first ??

• Pitmatic

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Re. Townsend, Phillips etc; Sammy Ameobi is a fantastic crosser of the ball from the left side. I hope we haven’t seen the last of this lad. He’d fit in very well with this 4-2-3-1 we’re playing. Still seems in and out at Cardiff, where they’ve apparently been working on his fitness a lot. Hopefully he comes back stronger, but would probably have been better off staying put.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:37 PM

jazzy

Neither

I bet they’re both horrible bastards to negotiate with. Levy more so.

If the man can get his money back on Paulinho im sure he can swindle a club for £50m for Townsend.

I hope we are sensible with this though. There is little to justify his price tag at £14m

Hull signed Snodgrass for £6m and he’s done better than Townsend with a season out injured. and was 25 at the time. In fact, he’s back from injury and has already bagged a goal and 2 assists. Why not go for him.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Pitmatic

There is no-one I want to see succeed here than Sammy.

Shola was always one of my favourites the loveable donkey.

Sadly I think the boat is passed. He’s really struggling at Cardiff. He’s fortunate the Russell Slade has so much patience.

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:40 PM

jazzy
    tough call …..levy is insanely stubborn when it comes to price and ashley is a tough business man…i think it may take something like townsend putting a transfer request in to push the deal thru.

• SPRINGY

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM

pitmatic
    has ameobi been playing for cardiff,.. thought he was out the side?

• LGFUAD21

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM

“17 hours ago
    1950NEWERA
    Mark this player is only worth £8m max at his best and I think his good days are finished. Look elsewhere but keep away from Sinclair he is another who is not upto scratch. We want a speedy winger who is full of energy and on the up not on the way down.”

Comment on the Chron about Townsend. Jeezus. If Townsend is a crock at 24 a lot of us guys are screwed!

• Mister Tuff

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:43 PM

jazzyp does indeed look like a Mexican standoff between Levy and Mr Tubbs.

Jib – this does not mean that Levy and Tubbs are Mexican or indeed in Mexico. Save you a Google search. No need to thank me for my assistance.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

They certainly seem to see Saivet as Tiote’s replacement.

I’m not sure he’s up for it. But maybe its because I remember seeing him play as a winger and the idea of a winger converted to CDM terrifies me. I used to play LB and Wingers i’ve played with have never cared for defending.

Thankfully I was the sunday leagues answer to maldini if i do say so myself.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:46 PM

On Levy

I hate the guy but I’d love him here running us. I think he’s done excellent with Spurs.

We should just keep tickling his balls and then buy Matt Phillips for his asking price to spite him.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Shelvey a replacement for Tiote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jib – if you really think that it reveals your true level of football knowledge.

Aye we’ll miss Tiote spreading the ball around with 60 yard pin point passes – we’ll also miss his fantastic awareness and vision. Duh.

• Pitmatic

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:57 PM

LGFUAD21

You might be right, but he strikes me as one who wouldn’t necessarily excel at a lower level, yet has the technique and intelligence to fit in amongst better players. He’s always impressed me with something, even if it’s just a little cushioned lay-off on the halfway line.

I was also very fond of Shola, and could see Sammy having a similar type of career with us. Bit-part squad player for the most part, but with little spells of magic. He feels like a sort of family pet to me really. I hope he gets his chance pre-season at least.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM

@Jib

Cabaye had not been replaced by a similar player in 2 years Colback/Tiote are nowhere near his quality of playing style

For me Shelvey could potentially be an upgrade on Cabaye he certainly bossed us for Swansea when we had Cabaye and Tiote in the middle so it bodes well if we can get him focussed !!

On Sammy I personally feel he could have done a good job for us this season either coming off the bench or starting games last season he got 5 assists and a goal and that was playing for Carver and Pardew!! Pretty certain this season he would have set up chances for Mitrovic no bother !

Kane and Barkley hardly set the world alight when they were on loan at a lower level so he may come back and be able to perform for us would certainly have been a better bet than using Thauvin!

• toon kk

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Yesterday reported to be a massive day for us today? We’re still waiting! Ha!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:06 PM

I have it before I’ll gladly drive Tiote to the airport…I’ll drive you to Jeff 😉

• toon kk

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:15 PM

SSN reporting West Bromwich saying they want to keep Berahino and they’ve had No contact from Newcastle.

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Well done Carr for missing out on Bryam!

Ffs sack this useless twat before we miss out on other future young players!

• NezzaNUFC

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:18 PM

We won’t go for Berahino because we have 4 strikers already.

When will people learn?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Anyone also a little worried that we are not really wanting to sign these players but just looking to get season tickets sold by looking like we are trying?

Wouldn’t be the first time the club has pulled a stunt like that ……

• emperor

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Nezzanufc

How do we know carr missed out on Byram if we are all aware of him then im sure carr must be, If I was byram id rather play for everton anyway.. they play their youngsters
    stones lukaku barkley galloway etc

I think carr gets unnecessary blame he has a budget and blue print to work with.. cheap, sell on value, young

He deserves more credit no scout will get every player right especially under those restraints.

His signings guided us to 5th .. ba ben arfa cabaye cisse all for just 20 mill

• jimmysmith

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I do hope we sign a “name” though.Townsend is one, Berahino another. Matt Phillips, doesn’t have the same stature. We need the lift that comes with big signings. Shelvey was good. Saivet a little more of an unknown quantity. We need another marquee type signing, because it’s essentially February and we are in the bottom 3. I think this basically qualifies as squeaky bum time.

• toonincheek

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:28 PM

So many people not convinced that Townsend and/or Berahino are the answer. I include myself in that.
    Point is – what is the question?
    That has to be – do we need either/both to avoid relegation?
    After our performance last Saturday, it’s hard to believe that we won’t pick up enough points to move up the table.
    But – the bench is sparse and we don’t have cover for injuries.
    I would prefer to see us use/buy younger players to fill in when required. Aarons can hopefully do a job.
    Of course there are risks – there will always be risks.
    Still don’t rate either Townsend or Berahino based on past performance/temperament.

• toonincheek

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM

jonjo @31

Will you depart the blog if you are wrong?

Or at least cease your repeated WUM posts (that have been recognised as such by the lack of responses)

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Jibbering,
    Pointing out that Shelvey took Tiotes place in the team is more testament to our complete lack of a creative midfielder for two years. If we bought a commanding CB a week after Santon had played at CB, which he did a couple of times, would said CB then be Santons replacement ???

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Offer Ajax £15m for Viktor Fischer – kid is gonna be big! Has 18 months left on his contract. I imagine he will leap straight over the stepping stone club part though and move to one of the elite.

• Jib

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party@Jib

I never said they were , your original point was about salary replacements , a totally different argument.

You’re getting like Mr Tuff – forgetting what you’ve posted after 5 minutes.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Hail War Ashley

I have never heard of this Fischer kid, is he that good?

• jazzyp

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Chelsea are interested in signing Paris Saint-Germain forward Ezequiel Lavezzi, according to Sky in Italy.

The 30-year-old Argentina international’s contract with the French champions expires in the summer.

Sky in Italy understand the player’s agent, Alejandro Mazzoni, is in London today and could meet representatives from Chelsea

There are also strong rumours that Chelsea have agreed a deal in principle for Pato which seemingly rules them out of any deal for Berahino. And further more pushes a certain Mr Remy down the pecking order

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM

I wonder if we will sign Berahino, Chelsea looking elsewhere, spurs looking elsewhere…. Should we be looking elsewhere? or is this our time to make a solid move?