The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Want To Sign England Whiz Kid

12:53 pm, Wednesday, January 20th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 146 Comments

There are reports that Newcastle are interested in signing 18-year-old Harry Chapman of Middlebrough – and the Hartlepool forward was a team mate of Newcastle’s Adam Armstrong in the England U18 side.

The Sun are reporting that Newcastle are very keen on signing the Middlebrough youngster this month and he’s been in excellent form this season for the Middlebrough Reserve (U21) side.

harry chapman 987

Middlesbrough 18 year-old winger Harry Chapman

His contract still has 18 months to run and it’s not unusual for Newcastle to try to sign some of the best young players in England.

Middlebrough have an excellent Youth Academy and they have been a lot more successful than Newcastle in bringing though young players.

But they are not daft either and we’d be very surprised if they would want to sell Harry to neighbors Newcastle United, especially when they are likely to become a Premier League club again next season.

Harry Chapman with Aitor Karanka
This was a year ago when he signed his first professional contract

Middlesbrough are currently top of the Championship on 55 points and they are 6 points clear of third placed Derby County and have a game in hand.

This is what Middlesbrough’s U21 manager Paul Jenkins said about Harry a couple of months ago:

“Harry is one of many players who has made good progress both in possession of the ball, and more importantly for me, his work rate without the ball.”

“He can set the world alight with his individual talent, but as a coach, I’m even more delighted with his understanding and his contribution to the team.”

“He can be as good as he wants to be, like many of our young players. But he needs to keep his head down, work hard and understand that he’s part of a team.”

“His individual talent will always catch people’s eye, that’s for sure, but he needs to keep going.”

It would be very surprising if manager Aitor Karanka would want to lose Harry Chapman before next season.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

146 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Jan 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Karanka will fight tooth and nail to keep him.
    Boro will need him in the PL.

• 2 toon kk // Jan 20, 2016 at 12:59 PM

More speculation!!!!!

• 3 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Shelvey is not Tiotes replacement ! Hes Cabayes replacement thats about 2 years late !

Could argue Saviet will be Tiote replacement but he wont be on 60 k a week like Tiote is !

We do need to free up space in the squad and theres no way we will pay Tiote 60k a week to be on the bench and sign Townsend as well !!

• 4 WWSBRD // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM

should be concentrating on first team right now

• 5 JP...from The Rock // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Yup more speculation that I am quite tired of tbh. I want signings done ASAP enough with the rumours already!

• 6 hibbitt // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:16 PM

toonkk not this time
    this lad is a very good player seen him play quite a few times big strong lad with a football brain don’t think there’s any chance of us signing him when he leaves boro it will be for big money ……newcastle are not the only prem team watching him

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Yeah, we need to look at first team, but is it really too difficult to get in a lad like this whilst working on senior signings as well. I know our lot aren’t the most competent bunch, but surely even they can manage to work on senior and development at the same time.

• 8 Jib // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Team v Man U ——-Team v West Ham

Babbling on about a player who did the club over for a move to sit on PSG’s bench 2 years ago , is hardly germane to your first point.

• 9 WWSBRD // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Mate id love to think they were capable of that but i truly think they still have Velcro shoes because they can’t master the bunny ear method

• 10 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:28 PM

soccer sauce update;
    toon and spurs squabbling over price both want deal just two hard nosed chairman

• 11 LGFUAD21 // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Continuing convo from way early today.

LG (the other one)

On the Commercials
    Spurs have risen and we have sunk since then. I dont think that is complacency on the business side, but rather the football shortfalls have harmed our rep as a big club (we’ve gone from being premier league nearly boys, to persistent crisis relegation fodder and coming back from the Champ hasnt helped.( I dont blame MA for relegation at all. he didnt sign the deadweight and twilight paycheckers that were here. He certainly mismanaged keegan through inexperience of wanting to have someone he trusted running the club (which you would if you’d spent all that money on it).

I think we are somewhat in agreement that the blueprint is not the problem but the execution is. We definitely need to work on our academy if we want to follow the Ajax and Arsenal template.

You could be right about the stars aligning more to Schteeve.

We certainly wouldnt have done a leeds but I honestly didnt think we’d be here again after the summer reinforcements and I also think its a bit unlucky that we are. A handful of luck would’ve gone a long way. I know thats leaving it all to the mystics but it’s true to an extent. We have been dealt a shocker of a hand at every turn this season.

On that note, I dont blame the decision to not spend £100m. We’ve seen united and Spurs waste £100m like that. Spend a bit, re-assess and the first £50m spend should inform you of where to spend the second £50m. Not to mention you cant just have a new starting 11 is doesnt work.

I can fault where they spent some (Thauvin!!!) but I can see the logic in spending £50m summer then £50m (tbd) now rather than blowing it all at once. Had we done that and then squandered it, we’d be in a far worse state than now, we’d have nothing left to spend and we’d be well and truly screwed.

I’m not defending the regime at all. I’m just talking about some cynicism (in general on here). Maybe the board consciously decided to sign some players (not even they could deny we needed it) and then let the manager assess it for winter and let them know what he now need.

The signs are there: On paper we woulnt have bough a midfielder based on previous actions. We have about 5. But Mcclaren must’ve pressured them for a creative one in the Cabaye mould. Carr must’ve referred to his list and brought Shelvey up again.

• 12 jazzyp // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Levy or the Fat controller…..who will back down first ??

• 13 Pitmatic // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Re. Townsend, Phillips etc; Sammy Ameobi is a fantastic crosser of the ball from the left side. I hope we haven’t seen the last of this lad. He’d fit in very well with this 4-2-3-1 we’re playing. Still seems in and out at Cardiff, where they’ve apparently been working on his fitness a lot. Hopefully he comes back stronger, but would probably have been better off staying put.

• 14 LGFUAD21 // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:37 PM

I bet they’re both horrible bastards to negotiate with. Levy more so.

If the man can get his money back on Paulinho im sure he can swindle a club for £50m for Townsend.

I hope we are sensible with this though. There is little to justify his price tag at £14m

Hull signed Snodgrass for £6m and he’s done better than Townsend with a season out injured. and was 25 at the time. In fact, he’s back from injury and has already bagged a goal and 2 assists. Why not go for him.

• 15 LGFUAD21 // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM

There is no-one I want to see succeed here than Sammy.

Shola was always one of my favourites the loveable donkey.

Sadly I think the boat is passed. He’s really struggling at Cardiff. He’s fortunate the Russell Slade has so much patience.

• 16 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:40 PM

tough call …..levy is insanely stubborn when it comes to price and ashley is a tough business man…i think it may take something like townsend putting a transfer request in to push the deal thru.

• 17 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM

has ameobi been playing for cardiff,.. thought he was out the side?

• 18 LGFUAD21 // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM

“17 hours ago
    Mark this player is only worth £8m max at his best and I think his good days are finished. Look elsewhere but keep away from Sinclair he is another who is not upto scratch. We want a speedy winger who is full of energy and on the up not on the way down.”

Comment on the Chron about Townsend. Jeezus. If Townsend is a crock at 24 a lot of us guys are screwed!

• 19 Mister Tuff // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:43 PM

jazzyp does indeed look like a Mexican standoff between Levy and Mr Tubbs.

Jib – this does not mean that Levy and Tubbs are Mexican or indeed in Mexico. Save you a Google search. No need to thank me for my assistance.

• 20 LGFUAD21 // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

They certainly seem to see Saivet as Tiote’s replacement.

I’m not sure he’s up for it. But maybe its because I remember seeing him play as a winger and the idea of a winger converted to CDM terrifies me. I used to play LB and Wingers i’ve played with have never cared for defending.

Thankfully I was the sunday leagues answer to maldini if i do say so myself.

• 21 LGFUAD21 // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:46 PM

On Levy

I hate the guy but I’d love him here running us. I think he’s done excellent with Spurs.

We should just keep tickling his balls and then buy Matt Phillips for his asking price to spite him.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Shelvey a replacement for Tiote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jib – if you really think that it reveals your true level of football knowledge.

Aye we’ll miss Tiote spreading the ball around with 60 yard pin point passes – we’ll also miss his fantastic awareness and vision. Duh.

• 23 Pitmatic // Jan 20, 2016 at 1:57 PM

You might be right, but he strikes me as one who wouldn’t necessarily excel at a lower level, yet has the technique and intelligence to fit in amongst better players. He’s always impressed me with something, even if it’s just a little cushioned lay-off on the halfway line.

I was also very fond of Shola, and could see Sammy having a similar type of career with us. Bit-part squad player for the most part, but with little spells of magic. He feels like a sort of family pet to me really. I hope he gets his chance pre-season at least.

• 24 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Cabaye had not been replaced by a similar player in 2 years Colback/Tiote are nowhere near his quality of playing style

For me Shelvey could potentially be an upgrade on Cabaye he certainly bossed us for Swansea when we had Cabaye and Tiote in the middle so it bodes well if we can get him focussed !!

On Sammy I personally feel he could have done a good job for us this season either coming off the bench or starting games last season he got 5 assists and a goal and that was playing for Carver and Pardew!! Pretty certain this season he would have set up chances for Mitrovic no bother !

Kane and Barkley hardly set the world alight when they were on loan at a lower level so he may come back and be able to perform for us would certainly have been a better bet than using Thauvin!

• 25 toon kk // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Yesterday reported to be a massive day for us today? We’re still waiting! Ha!

• 26 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:06 PM

I have it before I’ll gladly drive Tiote to the airport…I’ll drive you to Jeff 😉

• 27 toon kk // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:15 PM

SSN reporting West Bromwich saying they want to keep Berahino and they’ve had No contact from Newcastle.

• 28 NezzaNUFC // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Well done Carr for missing out on Bryam!

Ffs sack this useless twat before we miss out on other future young players!

• 29 NezzaNUFC // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:18 PM

We won’t go for Berahino because we have 4 strikers already.

When will people learn?

• 30 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Anyone also a little worried that we are not really wanting to sign these players but just looking to get season tickets sold by looking like we are trying?

Wouldn’t be the first time the club has pulled a stunt like that ……

• 31 emperor // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM

How do we know carr missed out on Byram if we are all aware of him then im sure carr must be, If I was byram id rather play for everton anyway.. they play their youngsters
    stones lukaku barkley galloway etc

I think carr gets unnecessary blame he has a budget and blue print to work with.. cheap, sell on value, young

He deserves more credit no scout will get every player right especially under those restraints.

His signings guided us to 5th .. ba ben arfa cabaye cisse all for just 20 mill

• 32 jimmysmith // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I do hope we sign a “name” though.Townsend is one, Berahino another. Matt Phillips, doesn’t have the same stature. We need the lift that comes with big signings. Shelvey was good. Saivet a little more of an unknown quantity. We need another marquee type signing, because it’s essentially February and we are in the bottom 3. I think this basically qualifies as squeaky bum time.

• 33 toonincheek // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:28 PM

So many people not convinced that Townsend and/or Berahino are the answer. I include myself in that.
    Point is – what is the question?
    That has to be – do we need either/both to avoid relegation?
    After our performance last Saturday, it’s hard to believe that we won’t pick up enough points to move up the table.
    But – the bench is sparse and we don’t have cover for injuries.
    I would prefer to see us use/buy younger players to fill in when required. Aarons can hopefully do a job.
    Of course there are risks – there will always be risks.
    Still don’t rate either Townsend or Berahino based on past performance/temperament.

• 34 toonincheek // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM

jonjo @31

Will you depart the blog if you are wrong?

Or at least cease your repeated WUM posts (that have been recognised as such by the lack of responses)

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Pointing out that Shelvey took Tiotes place in the team is more testament to our complete lack of a creative midfielder for two years. If we bought a commanding CB a week after Santon had played at CB, which he did a couple of times, would said CB then be Santons replacement ???

• 36 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Offer Ajax £15m for Viktor Fischer – kid is gonna be big! Has 18 months left on his contract. I imagine he will leap straight over the stepping stone club part though and move to one of the elite.

• 37 Jib // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party@Jib

I never said they were , your original point was about salary replacements , a totally different argument.

You’re getting like Mr Tuff – forgetting what you’ve posted after 5 minutes.

• 38 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Hail War Ashley

I have never heard of this Fischer kid, is he that good?

• 39 jazzyp // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Chelsea are interested in signing Paris Saint-Germain forward Ezequiel Lavezzi, according to Sky in Italy.

The 30-year-old Argentina international’s contract with the French champions expires in the summer.

Sky in Italy understand the player’s agent, Alejandro Mazzoni, is in London today and could meet representatives from Chelsea

There are also strong rumours that Chelsea have agreed a deal in principle for Pato which seemingly rules them out of any deal for Berahino. And further more pushes a certain Mr Remy down the pecking order

• 40 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM

I wonder if we will sign Berahino, Chelsea looking elsewhere, spurs looking elsewhere…. Should we be looking elsewhere? or is this our time to make a solid move?

• 41 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM

byram has stated he wants 1st team football thats why he chose the hammers over everton so no point us wasting much needed money signing him to sit on the bench with a lip on,a right back is not a priority right now with janmaat,sterry,anita in the squad…granted one is has no experience and the other is injured at the minute

• 42 firebug666 // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Disappointing news today, with Newcastle United refusing to take up the full allocation of tickets for the match at Chelsea in a month’s time.

When Newcastle play at Stamford Bridge, instead of around 3,000 fans supporting the players, there will only be approximately 1,500 backing the team in the ‘relegation six pointer’.

Chelsea revealing that Newcastle chose to only take half the allocation they are entitled to.

• 43 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Firebug that is a strange decision

• 44 firebug666 // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Maybe they don’t want the fans getting on the players backs, and abusing SM. 😀

• 45 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:56 PM

looks like marseilles patients are running out waiting for thauvin as they are looking at traore from chelsea….wonder if this townsend deal has more then angle involved

• 46 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:57 PM

more then one angle to it#

• 47 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Possibly Firebug

Springy, If Levy wasn’t such a stubborn Barsteward non of this merry go round would be happening

• 48 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Apparently Chelsea have reached an agreement with Pato the “Duck”, does this open the door for us to get Remy on loan.

• 49 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:01 PM

take a chancel
    this might help push it thru….just hope its not another “could’nt get them over finish line” smoke screen

• 50 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Take a Chancel on me

We can hardly criticize for hard bargaining with our record, we ain’t got the best record have we !

• 51 toonking // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:06 PM

young upcoming strikers can be put to one side for now, mitrovic himself hasn’t provided us with any of the goals we want from him and all the positivity he still gets tells all he’s a possible striker of the future and then you’ve got perez who each and every year shows more promise of a great attacker and nobody can forget about that striker currently out on loan who’s play at this minute is showing great signs of a potential premier league goal scorer for this club. The striker we need is a defoe somebody who’s best has now gone but can still provide his current club a decent quantity of goals for a couple of seasons.

• 52 toonking // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM

for anyone who doesn’t know the striker loaned out it’s adam armstrong

• 53 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:08 PM

pardew reckons if he can handle ben arfa at newcastle he’ll have no problems handling adeybayor???……erm.. how did work out for him last time ??lol

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Pato means duck in Spanish so his nickname has nothing to do with his long flat nose and waddling skills.

• 55 mad-serb // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:09 PM

a repost from previous article regarding home grown players

Anyone know exactly how the rules for the Home grown players work? I read reports it will increase to 12 HG players by 2020. This is obviously the main reason why there is such inflated prices on these players and it will only increase in the next 4 years.

had a look at our squad what we subitted at the start of the season.

Vurnon Anita Gael Bigirimana (HGP) Papiss Cisse Jack Colback (HGP) Fabricio Coloccini
    Karl Darlow (HGP) Siem de Jong Paul Dummett (HGP) Rob Elliot (HGP) Curtis Good
    Yoan Gouffran Massadio Haidara Daryl Janmaat Sylvain Marveaux Tim Krul (HGP)
    Jamaal Lascelles (HGP) Gabriel Obertan Ayoze Perez Emmanuel Riviere Moussa Sissoko
    Steven Taylor (HGP) Florian Thauvin Cheick Tiote Georginio Wijnaldum Mike Williamson (HGP)

Under-21 players
    Rolando Aarons, Dan Barlaser, Alex Gilliead, Kevin Mbabu, Chancel Mbemba, Aleksandar Mitrovi?,, Callum Roberts, Lubo Satka, Ivan Toney, Macaulay Gillesphey, Tom Heardman, Liam Smith, Jamie Sterry

Mitrovic is 21 now so does he have to be included in the 25 man squad now at the end of the transfer window or only next season?

Secondly i do not think we had a change of transfer stragety I believe we are ensuring he have the required number of HG players in our squad. We submitted a list of 8, of which Gael Bigirimana is on loan for rest of the season, and he is replaced with Shelvey. If we want to sell Williams he needs to be replaced which is why we probably trying to add an english winger.

And if my understanding is correct next season we need 9 so if Berahino would give us 9 if we let taylor go in the summer.

• 56 SPRINGY // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:10 PM

de jong still unable to train getting assessed on friday to see if his eye healing ok

• 57 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM

mad serb

Elliot is Republic of Ireland so would he be classed as being home grown, I don’t think he is.

• 58 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM

So what happens if we dont pass the home grown criteria?

Fines ? Point deductions?

• 59 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Ashley will be forced to sell the club, come on Colback, Taylor, Shelvey, Dummett, Krul, Lascellas and whoever, do us all a favour and listen to the song and follow suit

• 60 Jib // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM

What you and that rag the Mag fail to mention is that the Chelsea Match is the Saturday teatime game on Sky , a notoriously hard fixture to sell to away fans.

It seems the club has a bit more idea about its business that you and the toilet paper.

• 61 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Ha ha

We could just get the Ameobi brothers back to push the homegrown ratio in our favour again…..

• 62 BandB // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:34 PM

It isn’t about nationality. It is about being registered with an affiliated English or Welsh FA club or clubs for three years before the age of 21.

• 63 BandB // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:38 PM

We need eight home gown players in the squad of 25.
    The squad lists are re-submitted at the end of transfer windows.

• 64 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:38 PM

Ty for that, I didn’t know that was the case, so obviously Elliot would be classed as being home grown, as he has played all his career over here.

• 65 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Springy at 48

have Marseilles got some people in the sickbay going awol then?

• 66 mad-serb // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Elliot qualifies as he was signed ny charlton as a 17 year old so he has been trained by english wales club for a minimum of 36 months before the age of 21.

As for what happens when you dont meet the criteria. Basicly you cannot register any other player.

So say we have only 6 then we are only allowed to register 23 player in our premiere league squad older than 21 which is not HG.

25 – 8 = 17 non HG players over 21
    and if we have 6 basicly mean

23 – 6 = 17 non HG players over 21

So if from next season they increase it by 1 each year till 12 Hg in 2020.

you would only be allowed to register non HG players over 21.

Thats how i understand it

• 67 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:47 PM

If all we need is 8 then I don’t forsee too many problems, our 3 keepers are home grown, Dummett will not be sold, Saylor and Willo might be, but thats still four, Lascellas, Shelvey and Colback are certain to be still here and that makes seven, still short but I don’t think its anything to worry about especially when Armstrong or Toney could be used to make up the numbers, I would imagine the bigger problem would be registering 15 or fewer foreign players, how many foreign players do we have !

• 68 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I dare bet a bed in the Marseille sick room is easier to find than a bed in our sick room, if ours gets any larger we will be forced to hire a ward from the RVI. !

• 69 firebug666 // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I only pasted what was printed, other posters understand that, idiots not so much.

There are plenty of fans who could easily fill the allocation of tickets, they don’t all have to reside in the North East. The club will have it’s reasons for not taking up the full allocation, but I doubt it will be for your reason or mine.

• 70 BandB // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

We need eight.
    At the moment we have nine (by my count…. eight if Williamson is loaned or sold.)
    So we don’t need to buy HGP to meet the rules if we are to submit the current squad with or without Williamson in February.
    After that, we don’t need to submit another squad until September by which time only Williamson and Taylor of the HGP will be out of contract.
    It’s not a rules issue to sign another HGP now.

• 71 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM

You misunderstood. You spelt patients !!

• 72 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM

pretty much the same as I said, I honestly don’t see this as being a problem now or in the near future, however if we can replace the likes of Obertan and Gouffran with say Aarons and Armstrong then that would give us more scope for future deals.

• 73 loonie-toon // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:01 PM

So this huge day for us never came for all yous disappointed have a look at some piks of neymar sister she will sure put a smile on your faces 😉

• 74 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:08 PM

You’ve lost me m8, I don’t recall using the word, spelt correctly or not, all I was doing was playing a little with your words @68 as you did with springy’s @48, never mind, a bit of fun gone wrong.

However if you want to call me a sick b*****d then by all means do so, I would probably agree lol

• 75 AncientC // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:08 PM

I see Tottenham scouts have been watching Coventry games – it would seem fairly plausible that Armstrong’s name has came up, during negotiations for Townsend.

• 76 jazzyp // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Marseille have been offered Chelsea’s young attacker Bertrand Traoré on loan until the end of the season, according to La Provence.

With Florian Thauvin’s potential loan move to OM still not progressing, Marseille are looking elsewhere and have entered into talks with Chelsea this week about the possible loan signing of Traoré.

The deal would not an include a buy clause.
    Looks like Nufc’s deals are being scuppered as the end of the transfer window looms

• 77 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Possibly, but the name James Maddison seems more likely.

• 78 mad-serb // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Was only showing out why we are trying to get more experienced english players in and there has been more emphesis in buy local players, which match this criteria and why english players has such inflated prices.

Sterling is a good example of this. He is not worth 40 + million, same with stones. Big clubs that has been buying predominatly foreign players are having to rethink theirs strageties to comply with the rules.

Thats why City bought sterling and delph. they needed to comply with the rules and they were short of numbers otherwise you are left with a squad of 17 players and a bunch of under 20´s

Secondly you dont have to register under 21 players they are allowed to be used on top of your 25 man squad, thats why clubs dont register them.

i just think for our stragety will need a rethink and we need will see more devolopment players bought in the future. Its going to be far more lucurative to do what Tottenham have done when you Ali, Kane. both of those are not going to be sold under 40 million

• 79 AncientC // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Spoof, it would be a cause for concern if James Maddison’s name came up “during negotiations for Townsend.”

• 80 Goofy // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:19 PM

The guy is funny.

• 81 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Take a Chancel

Aye, he’s very technically proficient, shades of Van Persie or Podolski about his style, but a better athlete than both and only 21. Primarily plays from the left-wing and can go either way, but ya’ know how Ajax play, very fluid formation, so he pops up all over the front line.

As I say, with 18-months left on his contract, I imagine the big fish are circling. So far this season he’s played the equivalent of 11 Eredivisie games with 7 goals and 3 assists.

If you fancy some Dennis Wise scouting –

• 82 AncientC // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Pardew “I have had difficulty with players before, none more than Hatem Ben Arfa at Newcastle. If I can deal with him, I can deal with Adebayor, sure.”

Looks like Crystal Palace reserves are moving up in the world.

• 83 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:26 PM

That worked well for him didn’t it!!

• 84 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM

sorry I’m losing it. thought I was answering springy. D’oh!

• 85 sparky55 // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:30 PM

From quite a few strings back you made a brilliant point.

We’ll only know for sure if our wonderful fat owner is truly behind the club when he invests 75 million a year when we’re in the top half of league and he wants to push us on to get that champions league slot that triggers his selling of the club …not when we’re in the bottom three and in BIG danger of going down.

That indeed will be the true measure.

• 86 BandB // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM

mad serb

Your list shows that the 25 players submitted in September was whittled down to 24 with the Bigiriman loan.
    It is now at 26 with Shelvey and Saivet and the plan is to bring in two more.
    The hope appears to be to sell Williamson and Tiote and loan out Thauvin, which brings it back to 25.
    These ins and outs appear to some degree contingent on each other unless we intended to simply remove some players from the squad.

• 87 BandB // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM

“He ” is investing club money.
    Not his own.
    “He” hasn’t touched his own pockets since we came back up.

• 88 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM

we have the spine now of a very good team, we should manage to stay up and if we do we need more investment in the summer to make the team stronger

• 89 BandB // Jan 20, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Richard Keys claims Shelvey fell out of favour at Swansea for letting it be known he thought sacking Monk was a mistake.
    That’s not a bad attitude. But it’s what a new out of his depth manager would call a bad attitude.
    Swans may have compounded one mistake with another.

• 90 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:00 PM

you lost it many moons ago bonny lad lol

• 91 lesh // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Ah well, it looks as though today’s big transfer news day’s gonna pass by without any news.

Ne’er mind. As Toon fans we’ve learned to live with the reality rather than the speculative.

• 92 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:06 PM

I’m not sure how James Maddisons name coming up in transfer negotiations for Townsend could be a problem or concern and I don’t see how his name could come up, you’ve beat be with this one as I am well and truly stumped ?

• 93 Belfast // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:08 PM

The day is still young Lesh. Keep the faith! #Iamsaucer #Rightagain

• 94 loonie-toon // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Ed is replacing is Austin blogs for Townsend n sadio e loves it don’t e haha

• 95 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Spoof maybe we are after Maddison too and Levy wants us to not bid for him if we want Townsend?

• 96 belgrade fan // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:11 PM

soccer souce claims Pato to Chelsae done deal.

• 97 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:15 PM

quite true.

• 98 optimistic prime // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:16 PM

No news is good news 🙁

• 99 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Take a Chancel on me

Where has that came from, or is it just general chat.

• 100 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Just general chat I think Spoof, though I’ve seen it said in a few places

• 101 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Take a Chancel on me

Fair comment, none us know for sure but that doesn’t explain AncientC’s comment earlier, I still fail to see how a Coventry teenager could have an affect on our negotiations with Totteham for Townsend, I really can’t see that one.

• 102 toon kk // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:36 PM

SSN saying we haven’t approached WB about Berahino as yet. I can’t see us going for a striker tbh we already have four, they might not be able to get goals but they still make the numbers up.
    The board doesn’t look at our weaknesses the same as we do, they like versatile mid field players willing to play out of position.
    Townsend deal might go through if a comprise can be done?
    I still think we’ll be in a relegation battle right to the end of the season.
    We have a 50-50 chance to survive imo.

• 103 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:36 PM

TBF no one knows whats going on everyone seems to be playing their cards close to their chests. just hope our transfer dealings haven’t ended

• 104 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:38 PM

BandB…I wouldn’t put that aside. Everyone at Swansea who rightly took Laudrup’s side got sold as well.

Jenkins is one little Hitler!

• 105 loonie-toon // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Anyone seen this

• 106 welshgeordie9 // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Well like I said last night, nothing’s going to happen, I’m getting really fed up now of being right, how hard is though to sign a pissing player, an average one at that.

• 107 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:47 PM

loonie…don’t know the player, but it’s hardly the first time an African player has lied about his age!

• 108 toon kk // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Has Macca or anyone at our club said that we were in the market for a striker?
    Or is it just fan and paper speculation?

• 109 carl // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Swansea got rid of Laudrup because he was idle. He went missing for long periods.Others covered for him and it got to stage he was only turning up on match days. Club we’re glad to see the back of him.Bit like Jack Charlton going fishing.

• 110 Rotonda heights // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:50 PM

I’d be quite happy if no one else came in . I worry for Perez and Aarons getting enough game time as it is and would hate to see them replaced by Townsend.

Would have liked a good LB and CB but if Colo can play like a man possessed as he has the last few games and we can reproduce that first 25mins v whu for the majority of a game and finish our chances then happy days and strengthen in the summer.

• 111 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:52 PM

• 112 loonie-toon // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Jesper got me finking wen we signed mbemba was summit with is age but that guy on link said he was 12 m he was 21 how ya get away with that lmao

• 113 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:54 PM

lazy or not they have gone backwards since he left

• 114 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Carl…it seems you have been fed the bull shit!

• 115 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:57 PM

loonie…it does seem odd he could pull off that age difference. We have plenty of these cases in Denmark with African players lying about their age.

• 116 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 5:58 PM

*the same bh

• 117 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Mark…there was a story about Mbemba being older than he said when we were signing him.

• 118 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:01 PM

at times you have to lie about ages, I’m forever telling the wife she looks ten years younger than what she is, I accept that I get nowhere with that lie but you can’t blame people for trying lol

• 119 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:02 PM

If we need a decent left winger, how about Robbie Brady?

• 120 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Spoof…don’t worry that lie won’t get you in trouble. 😉 lol

• 121 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Take a Chancel on me

I wouldn’t rule that out, and Jefferson Montero is another who I would look at, I’m sure Daryll Janmaat would rather play alongside Montero than against him seeing as he tore Janmaat a new arsehole earlier in the season

• 122 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Aye Montero is a good shout, do you think we could offer Swansea Goofy or Obertan in part ex? lol

• 123 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM

in that case I’ll keep trying, but if she beats me up I will sue you lol

• 124 carl // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM

He is not a national hero in Wales.

• 125 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Take a Chancel on me

not sure about that, Montero would be about £9/10m, throw in Goofy, Obertan and Marveaux for good measure and their asking price would probably increase to £25m due to compensation for taking that lot off our hands lol

• 126 toon kk // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:25 PM

The club should make it a priority to clear our squad of all the dead wood, we have too many collecting wages for what? Trouble is No club would want them, most would have to drop a couple of leagues to get regular football.

• 127 Jib // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM

• 128 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Agree Toon KK,

Get rid of dead wood and use wages for newer better players

• 129 King Colback // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:35 PM

With a face like a melting walnut whip

• 130 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:39 PM

the Swansea removal company lol

• 131 optimistic prime // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:39 PM

I’d be quite happy with what we’ve got, CM has been our problem area resulting in no goals and desperate defending at times.

I’d like Berihinio but not fussed on Townsend. I’d like a CB but Colo isn’t doing bad ATM, and I’ve a feeling they’ll make do in that department.

I feel it would be a mistake to alter the central pairing ATM, they’ve just started to play well together. Wrong league position and time of season to be blooding a new partnership there.

Dummet isn’t as bad as some make out, he’ll do for now.

I always want more players but better players, it’s pointless signing anyone unless they’re better than what you have and can improve the side. Someone should tell the board.

Ashley out.

• 132 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Don’t you think we need another striker though, Cisse Injured, Rivi couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo and Mitro isn’t sharp enough yet?

• 133 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Mitro’s overall play is just what we need up top bringing others into the game all he needs is to start putting his foot through the ball into the onion bag and he will be off on a run.

• 134 toon kk // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:56 PM

People saying that they’re not bothered about us getting a quality striker through the door need to give there heeds a shake. We really lack cutting edge in front of goal. Mitrovic needs time, give him a couple of years and he’ll probably be class, but Mash will just cash in. At the moment we desperately need goals or we will go down, there’s no point playing better if we can’t score. What would happen if Gini picked up a knock?

• 135 Spoof // Jan 20, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Dummett is very harshly treat, we saw what Montero done to Janmaat earlier this season, Dummett has came up against some tough opponents and at times they have got the better of him but he has never been tortured like Janmaat has at times, Dummett does seem to be the whipping boy at present but I don’t see why, he is not spectacular but he is steady and does a decent job, defensivly it is Janmaat who is by far the weaker.

• 136 Jack Root // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM

If Ashley is serious about taking nufc forward he needs to start by addressing the way the academy and the scouting network operates.
    I was making the point earlier that Spurs are showing the way.
    104Jack Root // Jan 20, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I see it’s being widely reported that Man U are looking to replace LVG in the summer with Pochettino and John McDermott who is the head of coaching and player development at Spurs. To compare and contrast what Spurs are doing with their academy and player recruitment shows that were light years behind.
    Brendan Rodgers, who’s probably got a book to sell, has said that he thought he’d clinched a deal to sign Dele Alli for Liverpool as he spent a few hours talking to him. Only to find that he had been snatched away by Spurs.
    Last November, Adam Armstrong during a visit from one of our scouts, tipped him off that Coventry had a midfielder James Maddison that premier league scouts were looking at. Apparently the feedback was that we would take a look and later that we were interested but would look to do business in the summer.
    Today The Times are reporting that Spurs are too increase their offer to £5 million before the window closes and are expected to sign him. OK maybe we have more pressing recruitment issues or just plain naivety.
    Sorry to keep banging on but I believe we need a complete overhaul of personnel at the academy and scouting network nationally and indeed globally. Speculate to accumulate.

• 137 jazzyp // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Sorry lads but isn’t the general consensus amongst fans that we need someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net ??
    I am happy we are creating chances now but we are missing a heavy percentage of them.
    Take Mitro and we are left with Riviere and Cisse who clearly doesn’t give a sh@t about the club

• 138 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Carl…are you a free thinking human being?

• 139 Jack Root // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Dummett has been playing as well as I’ve seen him.

• 140 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Well done JazzyP glad you can see sense

• 141 lesh // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Karen Bradey’s a more likely target!

• 142 lukes26 // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:11 PM

I don’t think Janmaat is that bad of a defender. He’s had to cover for Sissoko’s non-defending

I noticed on Saturday that Sissoko actually defended quite well. I think it’s because he had less to do than usual because we were able to play through the middle and left for a change,

Previously the midfield would just pass the ball to Sissoko and hope he and janmaat could beat 4 defenders.

• 143 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Hahaha lesh

Is she any good on the left wing?

• 144 Jib // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Hovsa !!
    Jesper er løbet væk

• 145 MassiveG // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Oh good another whizzkid, like Viana, Vuckic, Bigirimana, Michael Richardson, (Toney)

• 146 King Colback // Jan 20, 2016 at 7:50 PM

JFA with a face like half eaten mango

previous post: Shenhua Considering Alternatives To Newcastle Midfielder