The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle´s Survival Depends On The Form Of This One Player

9:17 am, Thursday, January 21st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

If Jonjo Shelvey can consistently show the form he was in on his debut last week against West Ham through the remaining 16 games of the season then Newcastle should be able to survive in the Premier League – which is our number one goal now.

We are out of both local cup competitions so forget about winning one of those – which we haven´t done for 61 years – since 1955 when we took Manchester City apart 3-1 – and their goal was so lucky.

jonjo shelvey on debut clenched fists

Jonjo Shelvey – his form is crucial for Newcastle

We are 18th in the league and it will be very difficult to make our target of 8th place, although not impossible given what Leicester City did last season in their final 9 games when they picked up a massive 22 points.

So far it´s been another disastrous season for Newcastle, but we are hoping the only way now for us is up.

Shelvey started talking about the Newcastle fans when he was interviewed in the Chronicle today:

“They work all hours of the week to pay for their tickets for the game. It is a pleasure for any player that they want to come and see us. The only way you can repay them is by going out and doing it on the pitch.”

“I am from a working class background. I lived in a council house my whole life. I feel that I can fit in here, and that I can be the right player for the club.”

“I really want to show these fans what I am about.”  “I will play wherever I am told but what I can give to the fans is a bit more creativity and I will always put my foot in.”

“I will never shirk a challenge. I just want to work my socks off for the team. Hopefully I can chip in with goals too. I like to get forward and score goals, we’re looking for more belief going forward.”

“My dad would kill me if I pulled out of a challenge. I look to put in all-action displays in midfield and chip in with goals and assists as well.”

“I don’t see myself as a player with a bad attitude. I don’t know where people get that.”

“What hasn’t helped me in the past is some people have reported things and a lot of people just believe what is written. I don’t see myself with a bad attitude and I will show myself to the Newcastle fans.”

“I hope that the comments will stop about a bad attitude. My number one goal is to show these fans that I am the right person for the club.”

Jonjo has had his problems with consistency in the past but if he can perform like he did last Saturday and help save us – he will be a Newcastle hero – it´s really as simple as that.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Watford?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM

From prev…
    I actually dont know much about Koubilaly, but Guerreiro is mint. He would be one of our best FB signings ever imo. We havent had a really class LB since Jose Enrique

• 2 Toonfan8 // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:25 AM

On the LB note, Jetro Willems just made his return on Tuesday for PSV U21…
    cracking player and we need that type of players like Berahino,Willems,Townsend it is SMC problem where to fit them, but it would be nice to have competition in the squad and quality players and more options on the bench and to rotate some players….

• 3 emperor // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:26 AM

I have a feeling we wont sign the centre back we need now or in the summer. Elliot gave an interview saying dummett will be a centre back so maybe thats the view at the club that lascelles and mbemba will be first choice with taylor dummett back up and maybe we sign a left back with mbabu as cover

• 4 NoahJ // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM

He’s a quality player, but let’s not get carried away. If he consistently performs like he did against West Ham, then fine. If not, then all of the “saviour” talk will look a little premature

• 5 jazzyp // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Don’t talk daft Edd. We need to start taking our chances we are creating as it is starting to cost us points.

Shelvey looks at present a cracking bit of transfer business, but we need to follow it up

• 6 jazzyp // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Good old sauce saying we have officially lodged a bid just shy of 19 mill for Bera !!

• 7 jazzyp // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Loic Remy’s short-term future at Chelsea is set to be resolved in the next few days.

The French international striker has been on Newcastle United’s radar this month.

Remy wants first team football to boost his hopes of playing for France at Euro 2016 but the arrival of Corinthians striker Alexandre Pato at Chelsea will see him drop further down the pecking order.

Blues boss Gus Hiddink had stated Remy was staying put at Stamford Bridge last week but Pato’s arrival means he must free up some space in his squad.

Newcastle were initially offered Remy on loan at the start of the month but have since switched their interest to Saido Berahino of West Brom.

However, United may have to bid over £20million for the England Under-21 star’s services and also face competition from Tottenham Hotspur. That could mean Newcastle switch their attentions back to Remy.

Remy has twice turned the Magpies down in January 2013 and again in summer 2014 when Alan Pardew tried to make his loan deal from Queens Park Rangers into a permanent arrangement.

The Frenchman scored 14 times in 26 games for Newcastle in the 2013/14 season and was a hit with fans at St James’ Park.

• 8 jazzyp // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Blanket removal of Andros Townsend to sign for us on all bookies bar Bet Victor. Looks like it’s happening

• 9 jazzyp // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Remarkably, matchday revenue is up at #nufc in 14/15, a relegation threatened season with no home cup ties compared to 3 the year before

• 10 jazzyp // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Marseille have made a loan offer with an option to buy for AS Roma striker Seydou Doumbia.

Now we talking guys. Think he may be around 29 but a cracking forward. Definitely on a par with remy !!

• 11 expatmag // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Must be a loan deal then

• 12 Rotonda heights // Jan 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM

That’s quite a dramatic statement but I think you’re right. Shelvey gave us a dimension we haven’t had for a long time.

previous post: These Four Players To Leave Newcastle This Month