The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Agent Verifies Magpies Interest In Spanish Striker – Problems Exist

2:48 pm, Friday, January 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Mamadou Sylla Diallo’s agent is Jordi Alburquerque and he has confirmed to IBTimes UK today that Newcastle are indeed after the 21 year-old Espanyol striker.

The news was released yesterday by Catalan newspaper Sport and it seems Newcastle had bid for £1M for the player.

Mamadou Sylla Diallo

Mamadou Sylla Diallo – 21 year-old Espanyol striker

However things may be complicated as this is what Jordi Alburquerque has told IBTimes UK today:

“A group of intermediaries contacted me to let me know about Newcastle interest in securing his services. They said that Newcastle are willing to pay £1M to sign him but it is unclear if it will be to play for the fist team or to loan him straight away to a Championship side.”

“They want him as a prospect for the future but I have not had direct contact with Newcastle yet. I have done previous deals with this group and I know that the Newcastle interest is strong but I do not know if there has already been a formal offer to Espanyol.”

“Mamadou’s dream has always been to play in the Premier League. He has always said that his priority is to go to England, even if he has to start with a loan to a Championship side. He also has other offers from some in Belgium and Holland but right now his priority is to go to England.”

“The problem is that Espanyol want a loan deal with no option for the other club to get his services permanently. We recently signed a new deal at the club with a release clause of €18M and is complicated. Let’s see what happens. I’ll have a meeting to Espanyol but selling for £1M is not an easy situation.”

On the surface it seems it will be difficult for Newcastle to get the youngster – who we thought he was one for the future in any case.

But there’s just no way Newcastle would pay an 18M (£13.5M) release clause and also we wouldn’t be interested in him coming to Newcastle on a loan deal.

So it could be that this potential deal is going nowhere.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

27 responses so far ↓

  • 1 bettyswallocks // Jan 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

    All deals are complicated nowadays with agents trying to put various clauses and stipulations into contracts. A canny, experienced negotiator is what’s required. Do we have that in Charnley?

  • 2 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM

    amazing how smoothly saivet and shelvey signings went when everything else out or in seems to be be desperately hard work.

    Alburquerque – what a great name

  • 3 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:01 PM

    21 is to old for a prospect. He’ll have to be registered maybe as early as next season.

  • 4 Spoof // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:02 PM

    Apparently we don’t have a defence, yes we have been saying that for about 5 years now but I mean literally as we only have four who are fit, Janmaat, Colo, Mbemba and Lascellas, no fullbacks at all as Dummett, Haidara and Mbabu are all out, so what do we do, play either Mbemba or Lascellas as a left back or go 3-5-2

  • 5 WWSBRD // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM

    Colback will be LB mate

  • 6 Spoof // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM


    Perhaps it’s just as well that the outgoings have stumbled as we may be in desperate need of Tiote, Anita out, Colback out, could Saviet play as a left back !

  • 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:06 PM

    Spoof…Charnley is kidding himself each window that we don’t need a CB!

  • 8 f // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

    Jack Fullback?

  • 9 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

    They could also buy a LB? Just a thought 😉

  • 10 Average_Contents // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM


    Shteve’s saying colback has a niggle and he doesn’t know if he’s gonna risk him. Hamstring apparently mate.

  • 11 MadisonToon // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM

    What I want to know is where the outgoings are. Can we get rid of anyone this window or will it only be incomings? Our squad, although it’s still thin in some places, doesn’t have room to add without removing any.

    What happened to Gouffran’s supposed move? Do we think Tiote is really leaving? What about Thauvin? Hopefully Marv/Willo too?

    I know the club like to keep transfer dealings close to the breast but it would be good to know that they are working to move some of the deadwood out to revamp the squad.

  • 12 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM

    Rotunda…maybe the reality is we haven’t bid for anyone else?

  • 13 WWSBRD // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM

    Oh Colback is ‘out’ hmm

  • 14 Spoof // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM


    SM has done a press conference and clearly stated that Mbabu is still unavailable and that neither Dummett nor Colback will feature, chances are it will be Lascellas at left back or we go 3-5-2.

  • 15 MadisonToon // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM

    And not just trying to move them on…but actually accomplishing it.

    The problem with the huge contracts Newcastle give out is when someone doesn’t pan out we can’t get them off our books – nobody will take them for what they want now that they’ve gotten used to exorbitant wages given their skill-level.

  • 16 WWSBRD // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM

    Aye just spied that…troubling

  • 17 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM


    Charnley doesn’t see the need for a CB yet. After all, he’s got Colo to dine with so why should we need another”

  • 18 Average_Contents // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM

    Not definitely out yet, he said he’ll assess the situation on Saturday. Last minute and all that. I reckon he’s playing myself tbh.

  • 19 WWSBRD // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM

    Am going to say Aaron’s at LB then

  • 20 SPRINGY // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM

    3-5-2 for me if all we have are cb’s
    has thauvin been training?…anyone know?

  • 21 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM


    Charnley’s really pushing his luck by not covering the areas of critical need – a ready made CB, LB AM and striker.

    Why the hell he brought an unproven Thauvin in beats me.

  • 22 WWSBRD // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:14 PM

    Either way it’s troubling, either Colback won’t play or he will be targeted

  • 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:15 PM

    Madison…the problem is we continue to buy players from a different system / style and cannot understand why they just won’t fit / be a success!

    …there will always be a fluke but in the case of Newcastle is just an incapacity to grasp the obvious.

  • 24 Spoof // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:15 PM

    3-5-2 seems a strong possibility to me, especially if Tiote is available, if he is and we do play that formation then he must play higher up the pitch, when it’s a back four he drops back to help the two CB’s as he should, but with a back three, based on the Watford cup game he just got in the way, but can he do that

  • 25 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM

    I wonder if the Intermediaries’ that Mamadou’s agent’s referring to. Could it be Mondial? Could they be acting as agent for NUFC?

  • 26 SPRINGY // Jan 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM

    one of the 3 to play the left probs goofy to start as he
    will work harder and be fitter

  • 27 dannitoon // Jan 22, 2016 at 6:18 PM

    If only we could play 12 v 11…

previous post: Report – Newcastle Interested In Championship Defender

next post: Newcastle’s Alarming Injury Crisis – Dummett And Colback Out