The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

More Injury Woe For Newcastle

9:35 am, Friday, January 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 77 Comments

Newcastle sustain more injuries than any other Premier League club and the proof of that is on the Injury League and the Physioroom.com sites Newcastle are always top of those leagues.

Steve McClaren has revealed today that both Jack Colback and Paul Dummett are struggling with slight hamstring problems, so it’s a good question as to who will play at left back tomorrow at Vicarage Road.

And more news today that our young 18 year-old striker Ivan Toney has injured his ankle in training this week and will be out for three months.

Ivan Toney +Newcastle+United+v+Northampton+9yWMPD5HYtSl

Ivan Toney – out for three months with ankle injury

Ivan was doing well when he was recalled form his loan spell at Barnsley after Papiss Cisse injured his knee and he has so far made three appearances form the first team.

Ivan is now on crutches with ankle ligament damage and this is what he has said on Newcastle’s web-site:

“I went up for a header and landed badly.” “At that moment it felt very painful, then the pain started to go down but I had a scan and it will keep me out for up to 12 weeks.”

“But I can only come back stronger and the hard work starts now.” “It happens – that’s football, you have your ups and downs. I’ve just got to come back fighting again.”

“That’s obviously a good sign, getting recalled from loan – not just because of injuries but also because I was doing well.”

“But unfortunately this has happened, so I’ve just got to start the road to recovery and hopefully the head coach will keep seeing what he was seeing in me and keeps putting me on.”

Ivan’s attitude is first class and it’s just a pity he is injured, as he has looked a good prospect for us in the future.

Here’s the current Premier League injuries on Physioroom.com with Newcastle at the top with six injuries currently.

Here’s the current Injury League with one point given each time a player misses one Premier League game – with Newcastle again on top.

Injury League Table updated 20th January 2016

Why we get so many injuries every season is a good question – but the reason isn’t just bad luck.

Tags: Injuries · Ivan Toney · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21

77 responses so far ↓

• 1 Harley // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Noooooooo!!!!!! Ivan Toneys out?!

What are we going to do now?

• 2 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Harley

No fear bonny lad, Charnley’s got Ronaldo lined up with Messi as a fall back.

• 3 banjax // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM

£7m for a 30 year old striker Gomis who isn’t holding down a regular first team place – na – sorry total baloney. Meanwhile in the real world let’s hope that we can get Remy or Berainho and Townsend in soon and even possibly a quality defender as a much needed bonus.

• 4 toontaff2 // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Cry me a Riviere!
    We could bring back Arma of loan to join Willo and Toney and Saylor in the physio room.

• 5 toontaff2 // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM

off
    posting on this site is tough!

• 6 VanToonMan // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Repost: Doesn’t fit the NUFC blueprint at all so cannot see it happening (and thank goodness for that).

We need pacy bellamy-type striker who can finish. How is kevin gameiro doing?

There has to be a few that fit the mould on the continent If we are willing to spend big money then why not on Hulk? A couple years older but top quality and left footed

• 7 hibbitt // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Tony was going out on loan next week for a month to get some game time…… benton is like a war zone so many injuries

• 8 expatmag // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Fcuking laughable

The whole club

• 9 Whumpie // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:53 AM

How long before we sort out our injury problem?? Not only do we top the table every year but as soon as a player returns from loan they get crocked. Something is very wrong!

• 10 AncientC // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Just when you think we have finally seen the last of Carl Cort, Nile Ranger, Ameobis’ we end up with another beanpole forward who isn’t up to much.

• 11 why oh why // Jan 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Has anyone heard anything on Townsend apart from levy being an arse

• 12 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Hope I’m wrong but I guess we’re not buying anyone else this window – Charnley’s probably prioritising sales – after all, he’s got to show Ashley what a clever boy he is.

• 13 lochinvar // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Will somebody please cut the grass – it’s clearly far too long and is dangerous to players health .

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Why is Toney even at the club and not out on loan?

• 15 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM

McClaren likes Rivierre now does he?

He’s probably been told to play him so Charnley can be convinced that we really do need to buy a striker…. and a LB, oh and a CB.

How many more points are the clowns willing to risk before they bite the bullet and do what needs to be done?

That lines drawing ever closer – as is relegation!

• 16 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Chancel, it’s time for another birthday – we need a couple of wins.

• 17 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:19 AM

I was briefly taking to a West Brom fan yesterday and when I asked them about Berahino, they said they couldn’t wait to get rid of him and were amazed at the high price of £18m + which has been mentioned.

Different fans have different views, but that is a Baggies fan on this occasion.

• 18 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:20 AM

*talking

• 19 hibbitt // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM

the only time we haven’t been overrun with training ground injuries was when we trained at maiden castle durham ….. what is the problem with benton

• 20 Spoof // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:26 AM

LR32

I wouldn’t make any judgements based on a fans view, just look at us, some would gladly see the back of Sissoko believing him to be heartless where as others feel he is vital for us, we have had and still do have the same differences of opinion on HBA, Marveaux, Thauvin and so on, so what any particular West Brom fan feels is more me meaningless, nothing against your m8 mind, but it is all about opinion and I wouldn’t take any notice of a fans view especially when they are so varied

• 21 WestOzMag // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Not exactly an impact player so no loss

• 22 hibbitt // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:33 AM

fans opinions tend to change if they think the player is trying to screw the club just wonder what his opinion was when he was playing ever week and scoring ……just got to look how this site blows hot and cold…….that’s what fans do

• 23 jazzyp // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Is it black Friday or Friday the 13th lads or am I having a bad dream ??
    Gomis pleaseeeeeeeee no no no no no. And as for having to rely on Riviere , All I can say is we are heading for the championship guys with him at the helm.

Dave king cleared of any wrong doing against Ashley !! interesting

• 24 Jib // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Berahino is over his stomach bug and in West Brom’s squad for their derby against Villa (which could end up a bloodbath btw )

• 25 sparky55 // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM

no…just a normal friday in the freaky world of NUFC

• 26 Jib // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM

has been cleared by the High Court of committing contempt of court over his dealings with Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley.

NOT of any wrongdoing

• 27 toon kk // Jan 22, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Shame about Ivan, I’m not sure how we’ll manage without him!!!!!
    As for Gomis he’s exactly the type of player our inapt board would go for.

• 28 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM

inept even

• 29 Reyantoon // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Today’s winner of the Internet is YOU.

• 30 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:08 AM

JazzyP

Barring injuries, which is always doubtful with our medical and fitness jokers, anyone coming in now would probably disrupt what is potentially our best front 6 for a long time, with Aarons, Thauvin and even Riviere, Cisse and Arma all waiting in the wings.

Don’t see anything to be gained whatsoever in Townsend. A Saido Berahino, without the attitude, who actually genuinely wanted to come here and was a bit more prolific than 1 in 4 and was 15M then absolutely.

• 31 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Was hoping to hear more about Sandro ramirez. If Pochettino wants him and wants Townsend gone I knew whose judgement I’d take.

• 32 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:13 AM

spoof

fair point there.

• 33 Munster Mag // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Rotunda, I got a good laugh when you referred to your fav coach ever as “the unmentionable one” . V funny. Not sure who they are playing tomorrow but probably another loss. You see I dont love the man! No more mentiones of the unmentionable. I thought the football last weekend was sublime. Havent seen us play like that in ages. Charlie Nicholas on Sky was raving about us.

• 34 Assam Toon // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Hi. I am a NUFC fan from Assam, India since 1998. It has been my lifelong dream to visit St James Park. It so happens that my office is sending me to London late February. I extended my stay till Sunday instead of Friday with the hope of visiting Newcastle for the Man City game on Saturday. While doing so I had to agree to bear all costs for the extra days. Given our poor Indian rupee everything from train ticket, hotel stay, match ticket now seems very costly, everything running into thousands of rupees. Now I DONT need any money from any of you, I will walk from London if I have to. But I have a wife and a 10 month old kid to take care of, bills and loans to pay. It would help if I could save some money along the way. So I request you to help your toon brother with some advice about travel, accomodation etc. Just send a mail to me (raktim.sharma@gmail.com) and spare some of your time as I will seek your advice on some simple things like how to travel, where to stay, how to get match tickets etc. Your time and advice can help me fulfill the my dream and see the love of my life.
    I am coming home Newcastle!

• 35 jazzyp // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Rotonda

Sorry mate I don’t give us much hope if we are going to be relying on forwards of the calibre of Riviere.
    He offered nothing in his first stint in the team that gave me any confidence of him turning his fortunes around.
    You keep banging on about Townsend being a bad signing and with justification. But Riviere is as bad .

Cisse doesn’t give a toss about the club any more which is for all to see when he actually is fit. So take out a misfiring Mitro………Who is there ??

• 36 geordie157 // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Steve Harper to Sunderland….guess I’d forgive him for that move if it happens.

Hope he returns as a coach one day!

• 37 emperor // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM

I dont want Remy, he has rejected us too many times. sees us as a last option, and just like last time he was here he will fake an injury so he can go to the euros.

• 38 jazzyp // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Assam

The match is on a sunday mate on Sky tv

• 39 BandB // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Jib

But he has been cleared of contempt of court, which was the issue.
    What has he not been cleared of regarding the contempt of court case brought by Ashley?
    A case the judge call an abuse of legal process that should never have been brought.

• 40 martoon // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Assam general advice the earlier you book your train ticket online the cheaper it will be especially if you avoid peak times. Accommodation you can get a family room in a travel lodge or premier inn for a reasonable price. There are several around Newcastle and can be booked online.

• 41 JDdubai // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Colback doubtful too now….gotta take a shot at Aarons Lb now unless Mbabu can play.

• 42 Spoof // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Rotonda

We both agree on Townsend, I don’t believe he is that good and with Sissoko playing as an inside right with Janmaat being so attack minded, even if Townsend was good do we really need a right winger, I don’t think we do, however the thought of an injury to Mitrovic is rather scary, yes he is struggling in front of goal but his general play does make us a better and more dangerous team, but we need another striker and Berahino is possibly as good as we will get, people say £20m possibly a little bit more is a lot to pay for him, not sure about that, how many strikers are better in that price range, if you go cheaper its Borini, Long etc, are they as good as Berahino, I don’t think they are, if we want better then who and at what price will they be.

For I would forget Townsend and concentrae solely on Berahino, as for the left wing let Thauvin and Arons fight it out, if we do that then for me we can’t lose because Perez has shown that he would keep us balanced whilst doing a decent enough job out there.

A centre half will not come but would be nice, we don’t need a LB as Dummett is steady and never gets tortured as Janmaat does, I would keep well away from Jetro Willems as well, he is another Janmaat who would cost you 15+ goals a season whilst gaining 3/4 with his ridiculous all out attack and forget about defending approach to the game, yes fullbacks do need to attack but they are still ultimately defenders.

• 43 BandB // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Assam

You can ask for the advice you need on the blog.
    Why should anyone need to email you?

• 44 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM

emp

why would he fake an injury if he wants to go to the euros. he’ll be wanting as much game time as possible as he’s way down the pecking order after giroud, benzema etc

• 45 Spoof // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM

What chances that Rob Elliot will be no. 1 choice for Ireland in the Euro’s, he is playing really well for us

• 46 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM

/=D

• 47 Tsunki // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:42 AM

This is a smiley unfriendly site this is. 🙁

Oh no! Mark Toney is out of business? Have I read that wrong? Seriously though – so?

• 48 jazzyp // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Spoof

I would say he is nailed on for the euros.
    To be honest mate he has shocked me this season in a good way because I didn’t really rate him in the brief stints he has played. he looks like he is growing in confidence game by game.
    My only worry is he doesn’t get a bad back from constantly picking the ball out of the net lol !

• 49 toonincheek // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM

On topic,

Seems suspicious that both Williamson and Toney (and I think there have been others) had injury-free runs on loan, yet get injured as soon as they come back to train with us.

Definitely something not right.
    I’ve wondered for a while if we train TOO hard during the week. I remember AP chose his team based on who had trained ‘the best’ during the week. I guess that means who trained the hardest.

Interesting article on Depay and training methods for the PL.

• 50 emperor // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Rotonda heights

Remember this whole mess:

• 51 Assam Toon // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM

BandB, I didnt want to barge into the blog with silly questions but fair enough.
    how to travel from london to newcastle at low cost.
    which budget places to go for accomodation.
    how can a foreigner buy match tickets.
    Naming a few must see places in newcastle would help too.
    you can also suggest good websites for these too.
    Many thanks.

• 52 AncientC // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM

To claim that Riviere offered the team nothing, is very wide of the mark.

He closes down defenders, offers pace, gets himself into clever goal scoring positions, shown competence when winning headers, and, I also believe the team played with a better shape and higher line when Riviere was included, due to his pressurising.

It is in the finishing department that Riviere has thus far failed. For some players, that eventually comes, for others, it never will. Riviere was only 23 when signed and is still relatively inexperienced, there may be more to come from him yet.

• 53 jazzyp // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Assam

The tickets go out to season ticket holders and members first. Then on to general sale around a week later. I would recommend the stadium tour you can book at the same time as purchasing your tickets through Nufc official website.
    Alternatively there are plenty of online ticket offices but you will pay more per ticket

• 54 BandB // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Assam,

I just find it odd that every blog enquiry of this nature requests email contact.
    Type in Megabus, National Express, Visit Newcastle and Trip Advisor to Google.
    These sites will help you with your questions better and in more detail than bloggers can.

The fishing is good up here…….
    Good luck and enjoy the game.

• 55 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM

So Dummett and Colback injured so we have no full back cover ? Will the club ever learn just looking for a striker and a winger when we need a left back and a centre back just as much !!??

So Watford will be overloading our left hand side no doubt

• 56 jazzyp // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Ancient C

1 goal in 24 games isn’t going to improve the team so I wouldn’t say that’s being wide off the mark. What you have described is Mitro at the moment, And we can ill afford to be carrying 2 misfiring forwards in the team especially while fighting relegation.
    Please remember Riviere has never predominantly been used as a forward, More of a wide man as Perez or Sissoko…. Which he is never going to replace.

The same could be said for LDJ but we let him go because it was a loan deal. If Riviere would have had the same deal there is no way he would still be here solely based on the performances he put out on the pitch

• 57 Nufc-83 // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I can see why people are really not keen on Gomis but i honestly think it may have come from Shelvey saying go get him (also having been after him anyway prior to Swansea move). If anyone watched any Swansea games Gomis and Shelvey had a great relationship and Gomis used to run the line very well and he is very quick aswell as powerful with Jonjo putting balls in behind all the time for him to run onto. He is not the best finisher granted but Mitro is not going to run onto the balls as he is very slow and its not his game – see when shevley slipped him through against WH and he allowed the defender to get back and hit a relatively poor shot. I think he would be a good signing to see us through and would be happy if we got him through the door.

• 58 Toonfan8 // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM

what about put a cheeky bid for Memphis Depay for about 15-18M…we should go for these type of players who can get better and him,Berahino,Townsend,Willems would be ideal signings for our club…

• 59 Nufc-83 // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM

I dont think united will give up on Depay that quickly to allow him to move.

• 60 Nufc-83 // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Was meant to put man in front of united 🙂

• 61 Jib // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Assam
    I have a problem with my Windows OS can you help ?

• 62 AncientC // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM

jazzyp – You do not essentially have to be scoring goals to add something to the team.

As for Riviere’s scoring record, you will notice I mentioned that is a part of his game that needs improvement, who is to say that it cannot improve with the correct coaching?

Riviere has not been used as a wide-man, from what I recollect, he has been used as a striker, or on the left of a forward 3.

• 63 SPRINGY // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:07 PM

afternoon all
    looks like injuries and lack of cover are starting to complicate getting a back four out….if they have been struggling with injuries why have we been chasing wingers and strikers?…..so looking like a dodgy back four of some either carrying knocks or square pegs in round holes or nee experience…….baffling!

• 64 Jib // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM

B and B

The poster inferred that Dave King was some poor injured , bullied and helpless victim in all this.

Mike Ashley pays huge amounts into the coffers of the UK inland revenue service annually.

Unfortunately Mr King views the wealth he made in S.Africa as his and his alone.

The South African government could do with every Rand it can get it’s hands on , those townships don’t improve on their own you know .

• 65 bettyswallocks // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM

BandB…… Just in case I need to discuss some stuff with you on a one to one basis can you give me your email address and also your mobile phone number and home address . Many thanks in advance .

• 66 jazzyp // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Ancient c

My point mate is we can ill afford to have another misfiring forward in the team.
    He was used out wide for Monaco prior to coming here which is why most were baffled into the fact we signed him as a forward.
    And yes I agree you do not have to be scoring to add something to the team. But where are the goals going to come from when Mitro is a similar sort of player with there hold up play.

• 67 Jib // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Betty
    Would you like my bank details ?

• 68 Essex Geordie Bill // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:17 PM

No to Gomiss, can’t stand that stupid goal celebration he does.

If we can’t get Remy then we might as well stick with what we have.

I reckon we should start sticking more away now anyway both from midfield and up front.

Take off my rose tinted specs whilst I go for a coffee.

Looking forward to Haggis, neeps and tatties at my local music club tonight.

• 69 Toonfan8 // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Nufc-83
    I don´t think too, but we should try it, he is great young player, but was put under a lot of pressure in Man Utd…but we should buy Willems now and give him to PSV for the rest of the season on loan…I am excited and think the club is going in the right direction last two windows…Wijnaldum,Mbemba and Mitrovic were great signings, Thauvin is flop until now, but we should give him more time to settle and see if he can do it next season, then judge him, also I am happy to see that we bought players like Toney, Lascelles and Darlow…

• 70 Rotonda heights // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM

emperor

yes i do but i think this is a slightly different scenario this time around. Unlikely to happen in any case though.

Would really love to get sandro ramirez and the fact that barca want a buy back clause means he must be pretty good. Pochettino’s judgement I suspect is far better than SM’s though and I bet spurs get him while getting shot of townsend to us at the same time.

• 71 BandB // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM

But Jib,

He wasn’t on trial for any of that.
    It was a contempt court hearing.
    You imply the judge somehow failed to completely exonerate King of the charge. He did.
    The judge also called Ashley’s case an abuse of legal process which should not have been brought to court.
    There is a separate hearing on the breach of confidentiality issue to be heard in February.
    King has not been cleared of that.
    Because it hasn’t been heard.

• 72 AncientC // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM

jazzpy, I agree that we should not be relying on Riviere for goals, but at the price that was paid for him, he should be viewed in the accurate context, that is; a player with some potential.

• 73 bettyswallocks // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Jib…….. Yes please , just in case there are any transactions, nufc related of course , that need to be made.
    Also if you could send me a copy of your photo ID as well as your fingerprints and aDNA sample. Thank You for your cooperation in this matter.

• 74 Jib // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Essex
    Burns night isn’t until Monday !

• 75 Wayayman // Jan 22, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Afternoon lads n lasses.

Just got this feeling about tomorrow. The one stand out moment in the game on Saturday v West Ham wasn’t either of the excellent goals for me. It was in the second half when Mitro made a diagonal run across a crowded box and pointed to where he wanted it. Shelvey played the ball into him with pinpoint accuracy, almost a reverse pass. Even though the keeper got to it before Mitrovic, that run was a total surprise to me as I didn’t think he was that sort of striker. Shelvey said this week that the players here seem to see where he’s going to pass and make great runs for him. For the first time in a loooooong time I’m actually excited to see how we play.

• 76 Assam Toon // Jan 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Jib, hahaha! It’s funny but actually I might be able to help.

• 77 lesh // Jan 22, 2016 at 5:06 PM

BandB

Tsk tsk tsk. You can’t be correcting Jib, that’s darned disrespectful.

Must say though that what you’re saying is pretty much the way the Grauniad reported it yesterday. So, there’s you and the Grauniad got it wrong.

previous post: Newcastle In Surprising £7M Bid For French International Striker