The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Good News On One Newcastle Striker

10:05 am, Tuesday, January 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 100 Comments

There is news in the Chronicle today that Papiss Cisse may have recovered form his groin injury in times for the vital home game against West Brom a week on Saturday.

Papiss is in France at the moment and working with a personal trainer following the groin operation he had two weeks ago.

papiss-cisse-newcastle-united_3005006

Papiss Cisse – could play within two weeks

The Senegal international is still in France apparently working with a personal trainer following a small groin operation.

Coming back from any injury is always dodgy so we hope there are no setbacks with the Senegal International because we need him back and we need him – we need somebody – to start scoring goals for us this season – otherwise we could be doomed to the Championship.

Cisse has been out of action for Newcastle since our 1-1 draw at home to Aston Villa on 19th December – just over 5 weeks ago.

Since then we have played seven games and lost five of them.

🙁

And as usual we have picked up a ton of injuries this season, but that’s nothing new and we shouldn’t act surprised when that happens.

It happens all the time, which is one reason we should have an even bigger squad than most Premier League clubs – not a smaller one.

Let’s hope Papiss is available for the West Brom game – a game we have to win.

Tags: Injuries · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Surgery

100 responses so far ↓

• 1 Average_Contents // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Gutted.

WANYAMA/TOWNSEND UPDATE

Tottenham have been linked this morning with a move for the Southampton midfielder Victor Wanyama – with some reports suggesting Andros Townsend could be part of the deal.

But Sky sources are telling us Wanyama would only be sold “if a stupid offer came in” – and that a new contract for the player has been discussed.

We also understand Tottenham have no interest in a central midfielder in this window.

• 2 chewbaccy // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

We go with what we’ve have

total rubbish

• 3 Toon_Tom // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Cisse will be like a new signing – we won’t need a new CF now!

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I thought he was out for 3 months?

• 5 toon kk // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM

If papiss is fit soon that will save the club bringing a striker in.

• 6 WWSBRD // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Spoof
    Berah is more of a risk than Remy mate, less experienced and has no understanding with the players we have…I struggle to see anywhere than Berah excels above Remy in ability either

Average
    Why are u gutted?

• 7 WWSBRD // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Heard this not long ago and it didnt come off, sounds like spin again to me….Actually think it was before we bid for Lacazette?

• 8 ToonRich // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:13 AM

If we’re that desperate…isn’t there a case for bringing Armstrong back! Yes people will say he’s too young etc. But was Rooney too young to lead the line at Everton then make his move to Man U?!

• 9 Average_Contents // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM

WW

I was hoping the swap story involving Wanyama and obertron mark 2 were true mate lol

• 10 WWSBRD // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Average
    Not sure we should be hoping our targets turn us down at this point mate

• 11 Toon Tang // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Have we had the “like a new signing” comment yet for papiss?

Or should I just get it over with..

• 12 Toon_Tom // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Toon Tang – please see comment 3 😉

• 13 lesh // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Hey ho.

A few days before the window closes and they’re still pi$$ing about.

Hopeless!

• 14 chewbaccy // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM

The “board”has made it’s bed now they must lie in it.
    They are good at that though aren’t they.

• 15 lesh // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Chewbaccy

And they still sleep soundly!

• 16 toon kk // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:35 AM

I’m not sure what went wrong with Cisse, when he came he was a goal machine, but the last two seasons he doesn’t even know the off side rule and is pretty much useless apart from if the ball lands in front of him in the goal entrance he may poach one.
    Apart from that he runs around with a smile on his face.

• 17 toon kk // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Lesh
    The club knows that they have to spend money, but it’s the parting with it bit they don’t like. Add Charnless and MA you end up with ?

• 18 carl // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:43 AM

jesper
    I see you’re causing mayhem and confusion again. Thought it was me but many don’t understand what your getting at. At school I was always taught that if you can’t explain something simply, you don’t know it well enough. Also when responding to others that the highest form of ignorance is when you disagree with someone or reject something they’ve said which you don’t know anything about. It’s not a crime to admit that you haven’t got a clue. Just make it easy and clear it’s a simple principle. Happy to help.

• 19 manxpie // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Anyone know Wat wages townsend is on?
    We haven’t even got to that point yet that’ll be the next stumbling block

• 20 WWSBRD // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Sky Sports saying 12 mill agreed for Townsend

• 21 jackostoon // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Breaking news on Sky Sports, Newcastle agree £12 million fee for Townsend, and so it begins

• 22 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:50 AM

carl@18

Practising the supercilious patronising stuff again I see

• 23 jackostoon // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Damn, too slow at typing with one finger lol

• 24 manxpie // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM

BREAKING: Newcastle agree fee of £12m for Tottenham winger Andros Townsend #SSNHQ https://t.co/EgYq7cjRkc

• 25 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Scumderland in for Debuchy and we have agreed 12 mil for townsend, interesting morning

• 26 WWSBRD // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:53 AM

jackotoon
    Aint no one steals my thunder haha

• 27 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM

@Take a Chancel

So Debuchy will be up against Townsend in the derby then? Should be interesting that one if true !

• 28 hibbitt // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:56 AM

carl
    when i was at school i was always taught sarcasm is the lowest form of wit……. give the kid break your like a broken record

• 29 Bambams // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM

I have been told sky betting have suspended bets on us signing Lacazette. …..
    Anyone heard anything

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Bambams…haven’t heard anything mate!

• 31 manxpie // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Wonder if someone’s braving it in the bushes today to get the 1st pic

• 32 toon kk // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Well we’ve finally got Townsend, let’s hope he delivers, he will be a good player for us but I think with the correct scouting system we could have got a better player for the money.
    Why we keep ignoring our defensive and striker problems I’m not sure.

• 33 Jib // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:05 AM

West Brom are 14th on 28 points .

They only need 12 or so points to survive.

They have an FA cup tie at home to the Posh next Saturday so can rest some players.

Away at SJP will not be one of Pulis’ targeted 3 pointer fixtures.

I fully expect him to come and park the bus and try to nick a point.

• 34 carl // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM

angels
    Merely trying to be helpful so he doesn’t get caught up in so many rows over trivia.

• 35 Toon_Tom // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM

On Lacazette – The Telegraph have claimed an exclusive, saying that their information is that the ‘Lacazette camp’ have made clear to Newcastle that the player is now interested in listening to what Newcastle have to say

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Carl – stop your blog mischief. By your own comments that if you cannot explain something simply you do not know your subject well enough 0n that basis I presume we’ll not be hearing from you again.

I asked you the other day what your relationship was with Ian Toon – you failed to respond.

I did note however that you both use a similar phrase with a non common variation. I speak of the phrase I would write as “Yeh right”. You both seem to use the version “Yer right”. Maybe nothing but who knows.

• 37 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Thanks hobbits! Ian I mean Carl is harmless. He talks a lot about his lack of education.

Carl, I have a lot of you windbag on my tail these days. Bring it on 😉

• 38 Phil K // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Has SOOOOOO many “convenient injuries” and is too thick to realize his star is setting FAST and he’ll NOT be a target for the kind of clubs he thinks he is. What a ****** waste of talent. Like so many

• 39 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM

*hibbitt

*sorry mate 🙁

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Autocorrect

• 41 Jib // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:11 AM

manxpie // Jan 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM-Anyone know Wat wages townsend is on?
    We haven’t even got to that point yet that’ll be the next stumbling block

SEVEN MINUTES LATER

manxpie // Jan 26, 2016 at10:51AM
    BREAKING: Newcastle agree fee of £12m for Tottenham winger Andros Townsend #SSNHQ https://t.co/http://www.srtrc.org/EgYq7cjRkc

Ha ha ha
    A whinger chopped off at the knees in mid-whine
    😀

• 42 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Senor Tuff…that’s not the only similarity in their tone and writing.

The other day when Ian tried to get a reaction from me with his pseudo lack of education nonsense and you reached out to me I responded and like a clock some new poster went straight for my throat.

He sounded just like every other aliases of Ian.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Lilo hit on a good point earlier – Townsend likes to play on the right and cut in to get the ball onto his keft foot (usually for the row Z shot).
    Can he be instructed/coached to play on the left – a position which he may not like or feel comfortable with. Will he stop on the wing or drift inside to get a row z shot away. Can he really be the answer to getting a supply of crosses to Mitrovich. I have serious doubts.
    Some folk have been commenting about his shooting and goal prowess – that is just hopeful expectations and not based on any evidence.

On the Remy front – I agree with Blackley – we should not be going cap in hand to hire him he has rejected us twice.
    We should not provide a platform for him to enhance his own standing for the purposes of the French national team.

• 44 chewbaccy // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM

They cant agree terms does not fancy championship footy

• 45 Jib // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:21 AM

You have to laugh
    Townsend
    Levy wanted 14
    We offered 10
    He is having a medical tomorrow
    Fee’s agreed at 12 (quelle surprise)
    The media have managed to turn a fairly mundane haggle into a major drama.

• 46 reilly // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:21 AM

townsend has just says hes looking forward to playing on the lw or cf.

• 47 WWSBRD // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Townsend giving his signing on interview before having his medical haha quality

• 48 Mister Tuff // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Jesper – I think there is a bit of substance in your “Alpha Dog” theory.
    There a clearly some dodgy types who post on here. They would serve themselves better by arguing their case not inventing helpful multiples to post support – I fail to fully understand their motives. But there are some strange folk in the world.

• 49 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:24 AM

This is an alright signing if we need to get a certain quota of english players in.

We still need to sign Remy, Berahino and Raphael Guerriero to have any chance of staying up.

• 50 carl // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Sky have just shown a clip of Townsend on the left coming inside and scoring with his right foot.
    Next!

• 51 nut meg // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:28 AM

As Townsend has been playing for the U21s over the last 3/4 months does anyone know what his stats are in that time?

• 52 firebug666 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:29 AM

The Chronicle ?@ChronicleNUFC 10s10 seconds ago
    Townsend has spoken about his impending move to #NUFC: “I can’t wait to play my first game at St James’ Park”.

• 53 toon kk // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Townsend our new cf as well as a new winger, one signing two purposes.
    The board has the situation under control!!!!!

• 54 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Carl…most people I get in to a row with on here are posters I am been on to for years!

…some sadly I cannot account for. My I am just an easy target? What do you think? You get in to a lot of trouble yourself. What’s your explanation?

• 55 Jib // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Anybody see what Sky News were saying about Obertan?
    I got distracted

Mitrovic
    Riviere
    Thauvin
    Siem De Jong

• 57 carl // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:32 AM

WW
    I laughed at that. Interesting talk of CF. Pace through the middle as game progresses.

• 58 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Forgot to include Rolando Aarons and Perez

• 59 expatmag // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM

TUFF

Nothing stranger than a mackem on a Newcastle forum. Eh mate???????

“Wink, wink”

• 60 Toon_Tom // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Kets – we wont get both Remy and Berahino (probably neither) and wont be getting Guerriero either. You may as well throw Neymar in there…

you’r also missing perez

• 61 Jib // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:36 AM

There are some in Sky Sports that sesnse a new market with ladies netball.
    They thought they could open a new market a couple of years ago with cycling , both are doomed to failure.
    BT are blowing Sky out of the water with Rugby Union.
    I think they have Footy and Rugby League and should be happy with them.

• 62 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Looks like we’re going down then. We need a proper left back. Maybe we should resign Santon.

• 63 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Tuff / Lilongwe…I have played football all my life and almost went all the way (not that it matters). I wide or central (even up front) most of my career and is a natural left footer.

If you are used to playing wide it’s no problem switching between sides – you will have done that plenty of times in your youth anyway. I even liked to switch around doing games, which caused alot of trouble for the opposition.

• 64 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM

*I played…

• 65 Toon_Tom // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Santon isn’t getting much playing time at the moment..

Id happily welcome Santon back – should never have let him go anyway.

Isn’t he theoretically still on our books??

• 66 Toon Tang // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Toon_Tom, my scrolling incapabilities know no bounds mate hahaha

• 67 hibbitt // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:40 AM

to be honests Kets is not far away on what we need just don’t see it happening

• 68 clinath@ed // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Does Townsend realise that St James is bigger than White Hart lane, and that to reach row z in the Leazes or Gallogate will require a mighty hoof?

• 69 Toon_Tom // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Or did we terminate his contract early?

• 70 nightfa11 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Im not sold on townsend.. Hodgson rates him.. Pocettino doesnt.. Who do you trust more? And if he is mclarens signing.. What happens when hes sacked.. I hope he turns out to ne a good signing, but..

At least now people can stop saying we’re signing players to make a profit.. Especially cos we made profit only on carroll, cabaye and bassong.. And they all wanted out.. You can throw debuchy in there, but 4 Mio is not much of a profit and he also wanted out..

• 71 Mag52 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Townsend in by the looks of it – good news.
    If he uses NUFC to enhance his chances of playing for his country, so what ? Good for him. Win win for both us and him.
    The same applies to Remy if we can get hold of him.

• 72 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM

nightfa…well who would you say of the two reminds you more of McC?

• 73 The overrated Frenchman // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Saivet: an updated model of Gouffran (winger turned awful midfielder) Shelvey: dragged from Swansea reserves with the fans’ blessing. Townsend: jettisoned from Spurs with the manager’s blessing. And all for the best part of thirty million quid. You couldn’t make this up. This is a liberty. Cue Bladeuser’s signature line…

• 74 carl // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Tuff
    You’ve got yourself a reputation of being a bully. Cut the paranoia talk. It wasn’t funny originally it’s boring and your sad!
    Jesper
    Nobody with any common sense has any time for Tuffs childish repetitive ranting and owting lists. He will be identifying Nazi’s on the blog next. He recently saw the Boys from Brazil film for the umpteenth time.
    You should read tequilamag on tuff it was funny. Over the weekend I think.

• 75 Lindisfarne // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM

AC

A deal involving Townsend would be stupid….dohh!

• 76 nightfa11 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Elliot
    Janmaat colo mbemba dummet
    Sissoko saviet shelvey townsend
    Wini
    Mitro

And if Sissoko is sold

Townsend saviet shelvey perez

• 77 jackostoon // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:47 AM

WWSBRD,
    I know that now kidda lol, I’ll hang back next time

• 78 carl // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Kets
    There’s some goals in that team. Could have high scoring games. Shades of KK.

• 79 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Carl…I don’t entertain much of what Tequila writes. That goes for a few other oldies on here as well!

Senor Tuff is definitely one of the best reads on here! And a great gatekeeper as well!

• 80 chewbaccy // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Dont worry your head about it .There are a few BULLIES on here.

• 81 carl // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Expat
    Are you just winding Tuff up?

• 82 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:50 AM

TOWNSEND QUOTES

Andros Townsend has had this to say about his potential move to Newcastle…

“As soon as I knew of Newcastle’s interest they were the only club I wanted to join.

“Two of the biggest positions you can play in football are Centre Forward or Left Winger. I’ve got the chance to play one of those – I could never turn that down. I can’t wait to play my first game at St James’ Park, I’m excited!”

We understand Townsend will have his Newcastle medical tomorrow.

• 83 Graeme // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Kets – Townsend is a left footed winger, surely he has to play down the LEFT wing, to give us some balance and a threat down that side.
    When he plays on the right, he constantly cuts in and hits a “Row Z” screamer. Mitro needs service from BOTH sides!!

• 84 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM

I’m not convinced by townsend as I am with saivet. Only time will tell. Either way we still need a lb and a st.

• 85 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM

What’s wrong with today? 😉

• 86 chewbaccy // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:52 AM

And a centre back ilt8788

• 87 The overrated Frenchman // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:52 AM

expatmag are you macca?

• 88 Lindisfarne // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:53 AM

I would prefer to see Townsend start at Left Back and work his way forward once Defenders become available.

• 89 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:54 AM

at least the towns move may make the fans happy. I really dont see it from a practical standpoint. Maybe hes a nice guy? maybe its cool that hes english? but it was NOT a priority. Our team is EXTREMELY unbalanced.

10 reasons why the money would have been spent better somewhere else:

1. we are looking for an attacking player down the left who can cross.
    2.Townsand is not a good crosser down the left
    3. we have a player who can cross down the left in thauvan but maca refuses to play him there.
    4. Thauvan never got a shot and maca is trying to make an example out of him to prove a point regardless of the cost.
    5. aarons could POSSIBLY fill that role if he was healthy or had time as well
    6. we have needed defensive reinforcements for the past 10 years & weve made 6 legitimate defensive signings since colo.
    7.we have sold 3 of them(deb, santon, mym)
    8. we have ONLY 6 first team defenders (dum, colo, mbemba, janmat, mbabu, lac) sorry, i dont count saylor or colback
    9. 12 midfielders (marv, sis,sdj(soon), shelvy, saviet, gouf, wini, thauva, townsand, aarons, anita(soon)
    colback,) plus obertoon next year
    10. ONLY 4 CFs(Cisse mitro, rivi, perez)

• 90 expatmag // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Frenchman

Absollutely mate

• 91 expatmag // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Carl

Why should you care if I was?

• 92 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:55 AM

On paper we actually have a very strong team. If we still get relegated then Ashley has to be blamed for sticking with mclaren has I think he’s the biggest problem right now.

• 93 SPRINGY // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:55 AM

mark douglas reckons nufc are after 3 signings but berahino to expensive…..townsend,remy…..??

• 94 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Well it looks as good as done bar the medical. Let’s hope he can improve vastly on his performances for Spurs over the years. A bit worried he talks of playing as a centre forward, does that mean we aren’t looking for another forward? It doesn’t sound like many Spurs fans are going to miss him from one or to comments I’ve read. I hope he proves them and me wrong.

• 95 The overrated Frenchman // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Expat I remember you from another forum years ago. Not too many NUFC fans on the Peninsula with a sexy Russian wife…

• 96 manxpie // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM

He’s not saying he’s gonna play cf he’s highlighting the fact we love our strikers and LW’s bit rude to leave out salano and Gillespie mind

• 97 SPRINGY // Jan 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM

townsend;two of the best positions you can play in football are st/lw at nufc and now i have my chance i could never turn that down……
    looking like left wing has been discussed already

• 98 Toon_Tom // Jan 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM

Springy – Lacazette is back on so I hear!

• 99 ToonInPlym // Jan 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM

When I saw this post I told my fiance , in which she replied ‘ Oh no! ‘
    Probably wasn’t the worst thing to happen when cisse was sideline in my opinion. He’s lazy and dopy. Always caught offside, that along with that stupid goofy smile that follows a glaring miss is enough to make my blood boil.
    Correct me if I’m wrong , but haven’t we been playing alot better football without him, Mitro has been awesome holding the ball up and allowing other players to join in. I hope cisse doesn’t come right back into the frame as I wouldn’t swap anyone for him now.
    Unless it’s in a transfer deal with Lyon, Westbrom or Chelsea!
    See! Positive thoughts!

• 100 KURD TOON // Jan 26, 2016 at 1:36 PM

How is this good news exactly?
    Cisse is the king of headless chickens. For the best part of two seasons anyway. Now he just looks lost with no first touch and no control. Get rid while we can and get a decent striker. Remy is overrated as well.

previous post: Sissoko In Double Bid To Help Newcastle Survive