23 Facts About Newcastle’s New Signing Andros Townsend

Here’s some 22 facts about Andros Townsend with most of them being taken from the Newcastle web-site which issued a fact-file on the 24 year-old England International winger after he successfully completed a medical today and signed a contract at Newcastle which takes him through to the summer of 2021 – a five and a half year deal.

Newcastle United Unveil New Signing Andros Townsend

Andros Townsend – at St. James’ Park today

1. Andros Townsend was born in Leytonstone, in North-East London, on 16th July, 1991.
  2. Andros is of Greek Cypriot and Jamaican descent.
  3. He joined Tottenham Hotspur’s Youth Academy at the age of eight, working his way up through the ranks at White Hart Lane.
  4. In March 2009, at the age of 17, Townsend joined then-League One side Yeovil Town on loan, making his Football League debut against Milton Keynes Dons and going to appear ten times for the Glovers, scoring once.
  5. At the start of the 2009/10 campaign, the youngster’s next temporary move was Leyton Orient. He remained at Brisbane Road until the end of that December, finding the back of the net twice in 24 outings.
  6. Another loan spell followed, this time to Milton Keynes Dons, in January 2010, where Townsend played nine games and scored twice, although was recalled after two months due to injury.
  7. Having proved himself at League One level, the winger was allowed to step up to the Championship with Ipswich Town in the first half of the 2010/11 season. He made 16 appearances and scored once for the Tractor Boys.
  8. Townsend’s Tottenham debut finally arrived on 9th January, 2011. He starred in an FA Cup third round home tie against Charlton Athletic, scoring and being named man of the match.
  9. Two further loan spells followed that season. The first, at Watford, ended after just three games before Townsend then moved on to Millwall, where he scored twice in 11 games.
  10. Townsend featured for Tottenham six times in the Europa League in the first half of the 2011/2012 campaign, before joining Leeds United and then Birmingham City in the second half of that season.
  11. Having served his apprenticeship in the lower leagues, the wide man was handed a Premier League debut on 16th September, 2012, as a late substitute in a 3-1 victory at Reading.
  12. He spent the second half of the 2012/2013 season on loan at Queens Park Rangers, but despite some eye-catching performances, and two goals in 12 appearances, he was unable to save the R’s from top flight relegation.
  13. In all he made 110 appearances while out on loan with 9 goals
  14. The 2013/2014 campaign saw Townsend firmly establish himself at White Hart Lane, making 33 appearances in all competitions, and scoring two goals.
  15. He leaves Spurs having turned out 93 times for his boyhood club and finding the back of the net 11 times.
  16. Townsend represented England at U-16, U-17, U-19 and U21 levels, before being called up to the senior Three Lions squad in September 2013.
  17. At the England Youth level he picked up 18 caps with two goals
  18. In October, 2013 he picked up his first senior cap when he was handed a starting spot against Montenegro. England won the World Cup qualifier 4-1, with Townsend scoring their third goal and being named Man of the Match.
  19. The winger missed the 2014 World Cup through injury and to date has ten caps and three goals for his country, with all those appearances coming under current national boss Roy Hodgson.
  20. He is primarily left-footed but is very good with either foot.
  21. He can play on either wing or even up front as a striker.
  22. He is a lifelong Tottenham fan.
  23. He scored a hat-trick on his Newcastle debut at Everton on 3rd February, 2016.

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Why does nobody else say “Huzzah!”? I just don’t understand it……

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:52 PM

His international record of 1 in 3.33333 is excellent for a wide player 😀

Huzzah! G2

• SUTTY1978

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:53 PM

More facts than goals

BandB, I’ve been banging that drum since it was first mooted we were going to sign him. No idea where this impression of “creates and scores goals” comes from, he might have bagged a few in the early round of the europa league, league cup and FA cup but certainly not at premier league level.
    We could have picked up a championship winger who had scored a similar amount, it would have been against better opposition as well.
    He’s been easily found out at premier league level and any decent defenders know to show him the outside as he cant cross.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:54 PM

GeordieTwo

Because it’s annoying just like you.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:54 PM

If he manages 1 in 3-4 games for the rest of the season, and our new striker (if we het one) manages 8ish, with our mf chipping in (mainly from gini) then it should be enough.
    Lots of ‘IFs’

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Excellent Huzzah! YCMIU mate. I can see we’re in for controversy with this whole Townsend signing. Is he a top, top signing? Will he score big goals for us? Does he deserve a week without a fonging at the beginning? These are all terrific questions we should try to answer on here!

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM

should you have quit the blog like u said Welsh?

• BandB

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM

“If’ Mitrovic doubles his tally in the remaining 15 games he’ll have eight.
    If Sissoko and Townsend do the same, they’ll still have none.

We need a striker.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:59 PM

G2
    He has the potential to be a top signing. He has looked one dimensional at spurs for a while, but, as with everyone in football, sometimes you can be a better ‘fit’ elsewhere. Fingers crossed, and fong-bats at the ready.

• SUTTY1978

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:59 PM

YCMIU,

He’s a 1 in 10 goal scorer at league one level, what makes you think that a player who hasn’t completed 90 minutes for two years is suddenly going to become a cracking player. It will take about 3 games before the fans start groaning every time he shoots and those in row Z learn to duck

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Sutty

Point out where i said i thought it would happen, and then look carefully at where i said “lots of ifs”. Thanks.

• SUTTY1978

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:02 PM

YCMIU
    Fair play, I only read the first sentence!

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM

My fong bat is in one hand and my pointy stick is in the other YCMIU wait. I’m completely prepared for anything (I think).

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Sutty

A ha!! The penalties of knee jerk reactions 😉
    No worries,mate. I just hope it all works out for the best.

• toon kk

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Townsend could very well be used occasionally as a striker as well as a winger, save Mash the cash on a new striker!!!

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Shouldn’t we wait until Townsend plays at least one game for us before we complain? I know this is unusual for me but I say give the lad a chance. He did have quite a bit of promise and made the England team a couple of seasons ago…..

• welshgeordie9

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Take a Chancel on me

If you can remember, i did say on Monday a winger and a forward then i will leave the blog.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Townsend is the type of player that someone like Stoke or Palace would sign and we would all be moaning that he has came good for them and we should have signed him!!

Lets hope he can deliver for the Toon !!

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:06 PM

I think I meant YCMIU mate. Although we may have to wait a bit to decide about Townsend as well.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Chancel.

Many have said they would leave the blog of xyz happened, but they never do. Its just something people say when convinced of doom lol

• Jib

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Studying the French media Lacazette is wavering , he was always going to join the PL in Summer but he is seriously thinking of joining us.

We have been offered Loic Remy for £12million.(No loans just a purchase)

A or B ?

Alexandre Lacazette 24 untried in the PL £23 million ?
    Loic Remy 29 earlier this month proven PL scorer £12 million.

Both probably on the same income.

Do you want the red car or the blue one ?

• archaeomag

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM

He can play on either wing or “even up front as a striker”.
    problem solved !

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Fair point YCMIU

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Not sure Mashers would pay £12 for a 29 year old

• bettyswallocks

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Welshie….. Don’t leave , you would be sorely missed. Read into that what you like.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:11 PM

I’ll do you a deal Welsh/Jib

If Alexandre Lacazette joins NUFC I will quit the blog!!!!

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:11 PM

So what’s the official prediction then mates? Will we get the 5 or 6 wins and 3 or 4 draws we need to probably survive for another season? That would be points in 8-10 of our remaining 15 games. We haven’t managed that kind of pace in the first 23……

• will die for the toon army

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:12 PM

We will get a striker. Wat about outgoings?

But am having second thoughts about Mcca

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Did you used the be the poster called wallysbuttocks on here bettyswallocks mate? Colour me confused…..

• BandB

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM

YCMIU

All I have stated about Townsend’s record was factual.

I have repeatedly said I don’t think we will be relegated and I have NEVER said I hoped for relegation.

Do you think I don’t hope for the best? Is that the point you are trying to to make.

I’m pleased I grew to adulthood before people were infantilised by stupid notions of positivity and negativity, to the point at which you can’t point out it’s raining without some chump saying “that’s very negative.”

I give up. (well, unfortunately, I don’t}

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM

And what are those second thoughts will die mate?

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM

I don’t care if Andros only scores 2-3 goals this season as long as he manages 10-15 assists.

• will die for the toon army

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Chancel noted

Let me hop ypu don’t end up like toonbrother.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Will Die

Jeez how can I be like that imbecile?

• lesh

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM

G2.

Who’s this Huzzah? Is he another we’ve been linked with?

• King Colback

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM

JFA with a face like a regurgitated banana

• GeordieTwo

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Well pointed out BandB mate. I often point out it’s raining and get dirty looks. Very similar situation with Townsend. I hope he succeeds wildly but we have to be prepared that he isn’t a world beater with us. Sorry about that wallysbuttocks crack bettyswallocks mate. I just can’t resist word play.

• Take a Chancel on me

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Lesh

is he an Israeli international?

• will die for the toon army

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:18 PM

GeordieTwo

I think he isnt the reach manager for us.

Look at his tactics and subs then not using his squad never changing teams however much we play like sh@t

He hasnt give De Jong Thauvin Mbabu Goufrann a chance except if its forced.

• Belfast

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Bloody hell Ed, Lee Ryder is probably crying in the chronicle office after reading this.

23 facts? Ryder struggles to get five.