The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Get Ready To Make Big Move To Sign Loic Remy

7:54 pm, Thursday, January 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 142 Comments

The Mail is reporting that Newcastle have held a meeting today to plan for how they can get Loic Remy on loan from Chelsea this month – since Loic seems our last good option to sign a proven Premier League striker in this transfer window – a player we desperately need.

Newcastle have reportedly discussed a plan of how to get Remy to Newcastle by next Monday, but they may be disappointed with news that Chelsea would prefer to allow on-loan striker Radamel Falcao leave the club rather than allow Remy to leave.

loic remy at west ham

Loic Remy – while on loan at Newcastle

Loic Remy has looked a better player than Falcao this season and certainly his wages are a lot less – so it’s not too surprising if Chelsea take that stance.

Loic had a very good loan season with us two years ago in the 2013-2014 season – when he scored 14 goals in 26 Premier League games and he could hit the ground running on Tyneside – so to speak.

Chelsea are in the process of signing Alexandre Pato from Corinthians on loan for the rest of the season and he is currently reported to be undergoing a medical at the London club.

Pato arrived in England yesterday  although Chelsea have made no comment on the Pato situation at all.

Singing Pato should help Chelsea allow a least one striker to leave this month – so let’s hope Loic is made available and that Newcatsle can sign him.

That would go a very long way to securing our safety in the Premier League this season.

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

142 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUFCsunderland // Jan 28, 2016 at 7:54 PM

• 2 geordie157 // Jan 28, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Fingers crossed on Remy, if we get him then its been a good window.

Offloaded Williamson, Fergs and possibly Tiote.

• 3 geordie157 // Jan 28, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Is there a back up option though if we don’t get him?

• 4 croftus5678 // Jan 28, 2016 at 7:57 PM

just get demba ba back and have done with it.

• 5 jazzyp // Jan 28, 2016 at 7:58 PM

I think Remy would be the perfect fit. And as stated if he is not quite match fit we have a massive break coming up to get up to match fitness.
    Hope fully we stay up and then we have a greater option to bring in a big name as the intended targets would be more willing to move.
    If Remy bangs the goals in again as before then why not offer him a permanent deal

• 6 Ian Toon // Jan 28, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Rotonda – There seems to be nothing Martínez likes more than talking about things he doesn’t like talking about. That has been the one constant throughout his managerial career. That, and defensive collapses. Look, here are some highlights of Martínez not liking talking about referees:

30 September 2007, after Martínez’s Swansea lose at home to Doncaster: “I don’t like to speak about referees, but I thought he had a poor afternoon.”

6 April 2009, after Swansea concede a late equaliser against Cardiff City: “I don’t like to speak about referees or referee’s decisions because I believe these things level out over a season. But now it is one or two times too many and the players didn’t deserve it and the fans didn’t deserve it.”

30 October 2010, after Martínez’s Wigan lose 3-0 at Manchester City: “I don’t like to speak about referees because I understand how difficult that job is … But I cannot understand how you can give something that you don’t see … that’s a real football injustice and I feel my players don’t deserve to be feeling the way they are now.”

19 November 2011, after Wigan concede a late equaliser to Blackburn Rovers: “I don’t like to talk about referees but we have got a bad decision a few too many times.”

20 October 2012, after Martinez’s Wigan lose to Swansea: “It’s a difficult decision and when I saw it live I thought it should have been given. It’s disappointing that call did not go our way. Anyway, I shouldn’t talk about referees this season. I’ve learnt my lesson.”

28 December 2015, after Martínez’s Everton lose 4-3 to Stoke City: “I have huge respect for [referee] Mark [Clattenburg’s]’s career – he has always been someone I felt was very honest and a perfectionist in what he wants to do. The feeling is extra frustrating today because you cannot understand how such an experienced referee gives that decision right at the end. It is such a wrong call. Someone with his experience should understand the game a bit more … The disappointment is that he got that one wrong but it is extra painful when he wasn’t consistent throughout the game.”

In light of all that, was there really any point in interviewing Martínez after Everton were knocked out of the League Cup on Wednesday night by Manchester City, whose second goal in a 3-1 win came from a cross that Raheem Sterling was allowed to deliver despite the ball having crossed the line for a nanosecond by the width of a sideburn hair? “You have to respect the referee, they have the toughest job in football,” declared Martinez before adding inevitably: “It is not a day to go into many footballing aspects except the second goal killed our opportunity … Goals are big calls – and the second goal is heartbreaking. When you watch the replay it’s incredible that you don’t get that decision right.” Ah yes, when you watch the replay.

Unless there is a sudden transformation in Everton’s performances between now and the end of the season, Martínez may find himself having to explain how a collection of players that he has hailed as among the most exciting in Europe have have once again finished potless, and in the bottom half of the Premier League two years in a row. That, you can be sure, would be something that Martinez really won’t like talking about.

• 7 CypriotDelight // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Been stalking the blog for a while hey or are you another personality string of a person already in the room Mr (I can’t get my club name right) Scumderland?

Yesterday, upon the stair
    I met a man who wasn’t there
    He wasn’t there again today
    I wish, I wish he’d go away…!

• 8 beefman13 // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Whatever we do or whoever we buy we are going to be in a relagation fight come the end of the season,we’ve put ourselves in this situation, coins in the air.

• 9 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Most of us get alzheimers sooner or later. It’s a fact of life. Not quite as certain as death. PC gone mad to pussy foot around it. Can we say that someone is old and will die sooner or later? Is that allowed?

PS Just watching Location on TV. The househunter has alzheimers.

• 10 CypriotDelight // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Well I hope Everton collapse against us as well. I will enjoy his post match interview then 🙂

• 11 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:04 PM

where the f—did that come from. another 30 secs I’ll never get back. How long have you been storing that one up.

Almost as bad as ”my teams always play on the front foot” , ” I’m a winner” and ”I’d like to thank myself for signing…” etc etc

• 12 Wayayman // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Evening all. Just heard through the grapevine that we are trying to re-sign Billy Whitehurst but the size of his shorts is holding up the deal. If we don’t get him, Rambo Reilly is a shoe-in. Happy days in The Corner!

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:08 PM

I’ve seen Heaney a few times. He’s the best of the bunch. Very strong for a little lad. Good passer. Not a natural goal scorer. Too one footed for my liking, although it’s good that it’s his left.

• 14 Ian Toon // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Rotonda- You need to review a number of your opinions as we all do.
    I am moving on out!
    Enjoy my absence.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM

You’re inviting him back, why ?

• 16 CypriotDelight // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Sorry Jail just felt confrontational. I will stop….

• 17 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Billy Rafferty for Graham Carr’s superstars. His name’s still in the old fellow’s book.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM

yer right, who’s coming on in you’re place ?

• 19 beermonkey // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM

whats with the Martinez love in today
    spose its a step up from pards

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:13 PM

We shouldn’t have to stop ourselves Ed should be looking in.

• 21 croftus5678 // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:14 PM

@13 blackley

i dont know what it is with us but every time i see heaney play he tends to play the next game in a different position ???

imo he’s a cm and he should be played there as it’s got to confuse the lad switching him on the wings and here and there.

his passing and vision is great though for such a young lad.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM

It’s been a while since pushy has been here. Carl has been getting all the attention lately 😉

• 23 CypriotDelight // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Jail, fair one mate. Some things go too far on here at times.

I had to laugh at your Ian comment though. Expect some more random personalities soon 😉

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Pushy doesn’t live here anymore, he grew out of blogging, he’s in to really tough macho stuff now and far too many hot chicks to look after !

• 25 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM

I have heard of people with a personality disorder who are not aware of the other personalities.

…maybe Ian is just not aware of the other seven 😉

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM

You’ll be labelled if you do that !

• 27 optimistic prime // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:20 PM

It started this morning after someone said they were sick of his blaming refereeing decisions after being beaten.

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM

See Stuart Pearce has signed for Longford, the worst club in England, and he’s our next manager 😮

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Ian does like to talk about the gym…and getting coffee!

• 30 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM

I thought that the last time I saw Heaney. They had him playing just in front of the back four. They needed a goal and didn’t have numbers up front. He was wasted there.

I don’t know what goes on with the academy. Young Gallacher wasn’t getting a run out for the 18s but now is for the 21s.

• 31 optimistic prime // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Has Doumbia been linked or is it more make beleive stories?

• 32 optimistic prime // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM

I saw today, scored 3 conceded 183.
    Good on him, it’d be a laugh if nowt else.

• 33 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Sounds like we’re trying to break him out of strangeways.

Do you reckon by the end of the meeting they’d worked out they’d need to make a bid for him?

• 34 CypriotDelight // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Beware the label lol.

Labels oot!

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:28 PM

I wonder why Pardew ferked off if he knew this type of money would be spent on players, was it because if he’s managed to keep us in a steady tenth all last season that the money we’re seeing spent wouldn’t have been and instead of making our own luck, the heavily incentivised wearer of silly glasses would have had to make it for us.

• 36 beermonkey // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:29 PM

a whole day on a manager we will never employ
    it really has been a slow news day
    maybe an Austin article could help

• 37 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Leave Ian alone Jesper.
    And for the record I miss Pushy Pardew.

• 38 optimistic prime // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:32 PM

You never know

• 39 ToonRich // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Just sign Justin Kluivert and be done with it 😉

• 40 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Yep a why we should have signed Charlie Austin article.

• 41 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Re Heaney. I’ve never seen a player so physically strong pound for pound.

• 42 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Don’t be surprised if you read that one on Tuesday morning lol

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Yer jesper,
    Leave Ian alone, what’s you’re problem ?

• 44 Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Longford AFC goal difference
    Ha ha ha

• 45 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:39 PM

I still think you’re sack llambias jail

• 46 banjax // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM

We could do worse than try and get Cahill from Chelsea. As a Centre Half he’s better than what we currently have and if it’s true, like Toonsend, he wants to be selected for International duty. Lord knows we need a defender badly.

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM

I think your Hail Wor Ashley !!!

• 48 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:41 PM

What makes you think I’m Sack llambias?

• 49 Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Jail for Ashley // Yer jesper what’s you’re problem ?

How long you got ? 😀

• 50 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Closing the market on bladeuser.

John Tudor 1/66

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:43 PM

He has every chance of playing in a CL final this year and is on about a 100K a week

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:45 PM

It’s the way you tell ’em

• 53 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Nah I’m too thick for multiple accounts. Too easy to catch. 🙂

• 54 croftus5678 // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:49 PM

@41 blackley

hopefully a few of our lads have a future ahead of them.

stupid as it sounds i really think arma would have suited the way we are set up atm.

• 55 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Yeah what was I thinking!

Belfast…you like all of his other 7 personalities. They are practically the only friends you got 😉

• 56 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Trust nobody though, not even Dennis Twice.

• 57 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Jeff…for you we have no time!

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Don’t know what was going on with Dennis Twice answering questions directed at me that night, unless he wasn’t and I’d had too many Singhas !

• 59 Bambams // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Blackley and Brownlie
    Cheers for that mate, I know Clarky from his connections with Walker Central. I bumped into him the other day and he mentioned young Heaney. Never seen the lad play and it’s been a couple of years since I saw walker central play.
    I am trying to arrange a talk in hopefully with Shola for charity and Clarky knows him well.
    Nice to see the local lad’s coming through.
    Cheers fella

• 60 Bri // Jan 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM

What a farce.
    How many clubs have had to rely on the same on loan striker to get them out of the crap for a second time.

• 61 CypriotDelight // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Sorry Jail but at least chatting to the young troll on the previous story thread has kept him off this one.
    Good times lol

• 62 expatmag // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Belfast is really MR.TUFF

• 63 Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Belfast I was at the local park today and the lake was frozen over.

There was a guy let his dog run on the ice.

The park keeper shouted at him.
    “Your dog’s on the ice is it thick enough ?”

The owner shouted back
    “Of course , it’s an Irish wolfhound”

• 64 Bobbybee // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Did i read that sad mackem troll say his Chinese wife set up his account? He wants to contact the catalogue and get his money back, she’s useless. I get this vision of Little Britain…
    Ideally we only need a striker on loan, which would make Remy the ideal target. Next season we get Arma back and he’s the best finisher we have on our books by a country mile. Goalscoring is a knack and he has it in spades. This time at Coventry has been a superb education and first division or not, his goals have been quality – just as they were for England’s youth sides. He’ll score in any league if given the right service. Now we’ve stopped playing long hopeful/hopeless balls, his runs will be picked out by the better players we’ve got now. He might also bring Maddison with him! Coventry would sooner sell to us than Spurs after the way we’ve helped them out. Adam Armstrong will score goals in the PL given the right balls. I guarantee it. I for one can’t wait to see him back.

• 65 JAMSHA // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Nice Video Of Townsend Goals And Skills

• 66 SUFCsunderland // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Emile Heskey turned down Newcastle hahaja

• 67 MacToon // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:13 PM

I did trust Dennis Once!

• 68 dok - the horrid colonial // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM

why don’t mackems drink Kool-Aid?

they cant figure out how to get two quarts of water in the little packet…

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Dennis Twice lost his magic that night he tried to frame me !

• 70 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Frame me the same way sack llambias tried to

• 71 Mister Tuff // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Aye it’s all coming together now Jib hanging around a local park.

Jesper – please do not use “yeah” anymore for yes/yeah. The current in phrase is “yer”.This new word is commonly used by Aussies and New Zealanders in the South Pacific oops nearly forgot and also by Ian Toon and Carl.
    Using similar phrases to those folk in the South Pacific – well amazing – you’d think they know each other.

• 72 MassiveG // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Anyone else notice that along with Pardew, Maclaren is the only person in the country to use the words “tremendous” and “terrific” and it’s always to describe our performance when we’ve lost….??

• 73 Mister Tuff // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Expat – shut it – I’m my own man – not a multiple – couldn’t stand getting my ring tongued every day by Alpha Dog.

• 74 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Yep Dennis Twice was definitely a figment of someone’s imagination.

We all trusted Dennis once Mactoon 🙂

• 75 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:36 PM

I’ve said before Arma looks very raw. But if he was just given the instruction to play on the shoulder, be direct and simply concentrate on getting goals, he might stand a chance because, as Croftus says, and I agree, we’re ideally set up at the moment to suit his game.

• 76 Belfast // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Expat I have not and never will not inappropriately touch my neighbours cat/cats 🙂

• 77 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Now that Jacques and Antoine are gone we’re in a classic midget striker crisis. It’s all Steve McCarver’s fault for not using them. They were sober for several of our matches….. Harrumph.

• 78 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:40 PM

That would indicate what I’ve long suspected. That Charnley has a gun to the manager’s head to make sure they’re on message. Literally. He stands to one side pointing his weapon just out of camera shot.

• 79 why oh why // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Lee Clarke is a n@b
    I remember when I was 15 I snapped my leg playing against wallsend in a cup final and I will always remember seeing him as a 17yr old standing with peter Kirkly (chief scout at the time ) laughing .my mgr at the time john carver was t amused and proceeded to give him a piece of his mind

• 80 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:44 PM

I hope this respite means Sunderland United has been put to bed by his carers.

• 81 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:47 PM

Have you asked Troy about Clarky’s hissy fit?

• 82 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:50 PM

I don’t really know why we’re so worried. Steve is 3.1% better than Johnny C. as head coach. That could add up to 1 extra win by the end of the season!

• 83 smoke beer, drink tabs // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Has any team ever been relegated after spending 80 million quid in the same season?
    Just think, if that 80m had been spent evenly in the last 2 or 3 seasons we wouldn’t be in this f@ckin mess. We could have brought in 2 or 3 quality players every window instead of realising we are in the sh1t and need to do something about it, again

• 84 firebug666 // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Betting Suspended on Championship Winger Joining Newcastle

SkyBet have suspended betting on QPR winger Matt Phillips joining Newcastle United before 3rd February.

• 85 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM

You do have to admit that we lose matches in various tremendous and terrific ways MassiveG mate. Steve is just helping us to see it that way. It brings new meaning to the word loss doesn’t it? Hmmmm….well….err….possibly, I suppose Steve.

• 86 Bobbybee // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:54 PM

B&B, Arma reads the game incredibly for an 18 yr old. There’s nothing immature about the way he takes his chances though, he takes them like an old pro. Top scorer in his league at 18 is quite remarkable and just the quality of his goals – his coolness on one on ones – speaks volumes for his future. He’s only going to get better and better. The way we play now is far better suited to his game and I don’t doubt for one second that he would’ve taken the chances we’ve been missing. The most exciting prospect since Gazza by a distance.

• 87 Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:54 PM

We are going to chase Berahino all weekend
    Loic Remy is our plan B

• 88 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:55 PM

We’ve got the best head coach a small amount of money can buy! This criticism of McCarver is unbelievable!

• 89 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Is it possible West Brom are worried about selling Berhino to us in case they fall into the relegation battle? Very embarrassing for them if he scored the goals to allow us to pass them in the table…..

• 90 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:57 PM

You’re putting Arma’s agent to shame. You’re not Arma’a dad are you?

• 91 Magedia // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Sunderland United meeting at the revolution bar?

• 92 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:59 PM

It’s Berahino isn’t it? 😆 I’ve got to learn to spell that properly if he comes to us.

• 93 Magedia // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:01 PM

How long did it take you spell Wjnaldijuwinegum?

• 94 Tsunki // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Off topic break from the endless Remy articles – I see it’s breaking news someone was found trying to get a weapon into Disney land Paris. I noticed this section in BBC report :

Papers found on the suspect indicated that he lived in Paris, the source added.
    He reportedly co-manages a brassiere in the French capital.
    “For me, it’s a mistake,” said a member of the bar staff.
    Police also arrested a woman, believing her to be the man’s girlfriend, but later released her when they realised they had got the wrong woman, French media reported.

Damn right it’s a mistake the woman they’re looking for has a brassiere that needs to be co-managed 😀

• 95 Moonraker15 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM

That Jeremy Peace must be a total n@b! He won’t let Berahino leave but they won’t put in the team. I would love it if we eventually signed him and he scored the goals to pull us clear and West Brom went down!

• 96 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Of course this could all be a smokescreen until they can announce the signing of Shefki Kuqi to a 10 year contract! 😯

• 97 croftus5678 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:07 PM

been reports our backup plan is jordan rhodes.

• 98 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Newcastle are considering Jordan Rhodes of Blackburn Rovers.
    Steve McClaren is a big fan of Jordan Rhodes, the Chronicle reports.

• 99 Moonraker15 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Andros T is an enigma! Can’t understand why Spuds let him go as he just looks a very good player! I guess we’ll find out soon enough though!

• 100 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Rhodes has been a goal machine wherever he has played lots of Championship strikers have not had a problem adjusting to the premiership !

Only thing is he does not have a lot of pace hes like Mitrovic but much more clinical in front of goal !

• 101 juan // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Berahino will be sold. If that chairman doesn’t sell him he’ll only have 1 year left in the summer and he’ll run his contract out Just playing hard ball with him. He’ll be gone by Monday night.

• 102 martoon // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Jib @87 – It must be easy being a sports journalist these days. There is nothing in that article than any of us on here didn’t already know. Just put a few internet rumours together and come up with a story – giz a job, I could do that 🙂

• 103 beermonkey // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:17 PM

do you not think arma is best left out onloan playing weekly
    and maybe a season in the championship

• 104 GeordieTwo // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Justin Rhodes seems a decent shout. He’s a one in two scorer with Blackburn, has decent size (6’1″) and is 25. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we go for him.

• 105 Bobbybee // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:27 PM

B&B, lol, that’s what the woman in Chisolms bookies asked me when I put the bet on when the lad was still 16 that he’d beat Charlton’s England record. I’ve watched him through the Academy and U21’s, England’s various youth teams and keeping close tabs on him at Coventry. You know how you just know something? I just know this lad is destined for greatness. No relative, never even met him, but I know he’ll make the grade and more. I had a similar bet on Gazza when he was 16, that he would captain England and no doubt he would’ve had he not been such a clown lol. His game is basically based on what you described. Sits on the shoulder and runs into the channels. Electric acceleration over the first ten yards leaves defenders floundering. We play a game now that will suit him down to the ground. He’s fallen lucky with Mowbray because he’s a good coach for young players. There’s not one doubt in my mind he’ll score many goals for us.

• 106 Moonraker15 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Soccer sauce reporting we in discussions with Chelski re Remi loan deal and just waiting till Pato signed up !

• 107 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Rhodes does score all types of goals

• 108 Bobbybee // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Martoon, are you really Yozza Hughes from the boys from the black stuff? 😉

• 109 RUNAWAY777 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Come on sunderland where do u want to meet do tell big boy ?

• 110 Harley // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Loved that YouTube clip of Townsend. This guy will get bums off seats, that’s a guarantee. I can’t wait to see him play for us.

• 111 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:43 PM

I thought we should have signed Rhodes several seasons ago. I guess at £8m he was thought to be way too expensive for an unproven Scotsman (Oldham born) but he has a consistent 1 in 2 scoring record, all through his career – which could give him 7-8 goals before the end of May.
    He’d be over £10m – but compared with some of the French guys over £10m probably better value for money. Good finisher.
    He’d be well up on my list.

• 112 p // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:43 PM

anyone else worried that Remi is a bit fragile and if we sign him we are taking a chance on him being injury free.

Seems like a lot of eggs in one delicate basket.

Still, better than nowt for sure

• 113 VanToonMan // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Isn’t Rhodes a risk at this stage of the season – we need a striker who is most likely to slot in and start scoring – Rhodes can’t be that proven in the PL otherwise he would have been snapped up by a PL team already by now.

Assuming we do bring a striker in eg. Remy or Berahino – where would be people play that striker and who would be dropped?

• 114 Harley // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:46 PM

I’d take Rhodes.

No one has taken a chance on him yet and I don’t know why. He’s scored goals every season now for about the last 5 years. We could do a lot worse.

• 115 Harley // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:51 PM

I’d still prefer Remy though.

Out of all the strikers we’ve been linked with here’s my choice

Bony (ok so maybe not been linked with)

Unfortunately I think the first 3 are pipe dreams.

• 116 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:54 PM

I’d say Rhodes is less of a risk than a French guy 2x the price.
    He doesn’t seem to have long goalless spells, and can knock ’em in from anywhere. Maybe less pace but more accuracy – good from a distance and seems to place the ball in the net. Half the EPL (including us) are little better than the top ten Championship sides. Maybe he’d prefer to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond ?

• 117 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:56 PM

I don’t want to post. I’m sure there’s a Rhodes article heading our way.

• 118 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM

I’d give Arma a chance because we’re unlikely to get in anyone else I fear. Just because he plays the type of game we need. Just tell him to stay on the goals trail; play off the shoulder. We need options. All hands to the pump.

• 119 Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:00 PM

I’m still dreaming we can trade Sissoko plus Thauvin plus cash to PSG for Ibrahimovic.

• 120 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:01 PM

…and coz Bobby rates him

• 121 VanToonMan // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:01 PM

But Rhodes and Mitro up top would be a distinct lack of pace – and who would be benched for that relatively slow partnership?

Also would anyone else have preferred Banega over Saivet – I mean it’s early to tell but Saivet looks a bit lightweight

• 122 expatmag // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Touchy TUFF

Cmon……admit it all…….we have known each other long enough now…… still got that 1973 cup final sunderland echo team photo poster on your bedroom wall, havent you? Did C let you frame it after all these years and hang it up on the chimney breast wall next to your autographed photo of Lena Zavaroni?

• 123 chinleymag // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Why have we waited until the last minute(if the Daily Mail report is true) to geta striker in when it has been obvious to all but the powers that be that thats what we need.What kind of meeting do you need to pick up the phone then discuss an offer with club and player. The management team admin team are really not fit for purpose and with them in charge we are deservedly bound for the Championship. Ive no time for Ashley but really he should rid all of these failures.Like Ed I worked for years in a target orientated enviroment and if you didnt hit the numbers you were out.Same should happen to the whole management team at SJP

• 124 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Denis Law interviewed yesterday.

Q: Would your utd team beat the current one?

A: Yeah 1 – 0 I think

Q: 1-0! Why do close?

A: Well most of us are in our 70s now.

• 125 expatmag // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Hmmmmm…….more denials……but I have photographic evidence……..aaah aaah

• 126 Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Did you know Lena Zvaroni died in 1999 aged only 35 ?
    Her story is very similar to Karen Carpenter she suffered from anorexia and was less than 5 stone when she died.

• 127 expatmag // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Nope mate. Didnt know that. I bet TUFF went to her funeral though. Huge fan, he was.

• 128 SUFCsunderland // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Nobody wants to join your crap club in a crap city full of fat women on the dole

• 129 martoon // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Bobby & B&B I like Armstrong too but I seem to remember he’s injured at the moment.

• 130 Toon Tang // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:17 PM

How big is this move we’re going to be making? And when does the big move commence? Im frothing at the teats in anticipation.

• 131 expatmag // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Heard your fair city was knicknamed Monsters Inc.

• 132 beermonkey // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM

I see what your saying I think he better off out onloan
    just cant see McLaren giving him game time

• 133 SUFCsunderland // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Must be depressing forever being in the shadow of SUFC

• 134 welshgeordie9 // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Please please come on here next season when your team goes down.

• 135 Charlietoon // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM

It baffles me that we still have not signed a CB or a CF

• 136 jane // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM

when Newcastle had 7 points from 11 games I posted that if they won, drew and lost every 3 remaining games they would get 43 points. since then they have played 12 games so therefore would have needed to have gained 16 points from them to be on target for 43 points however they gained 14 points so are a little below Jane’s target. 🙂

• 137 SUFCsunderland // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM

I’ll be on here the day Newcastle gets religated

• 138 jane // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:44 PM

you will have to have a long life

• 139 croftus5678 // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:48 PM

@137 sufc

if a red house is made out of red bricks.
    and a grey house is made out of grey bricks.
    what is a green house made out of ?

• 140 SUFCsunderland // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:48 PM

I have £50 on Newcastle going down. It’s obvious. And after its 7 in a row against mighty Sunderland you will be demoralised further

• 141 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:56 PM

If we don’t sign a defender we will be relegated. Why are we spending so much but never on the defence? No left back still.

• 142 peter // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:01 AM

What about Tiote for Demba Ba. I know he’s 30 and on a three year deal in Shanghai but even a swap loan deal for the rest of the season has got to make some sense…

previous post: Report – Newcastle After The New Dele Alli