The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Striker Would Be Newcastle’s Worst Option

9:25 am, Thursday, January 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 114 Comments

Newcastle have left it (very) late to bring in a new striker this month and the options we have are now starting  to diminish…..quickly.

If Saido Berahino is not available from West Brom  and we cannot persuade Loic Remy to come on loan to Newcastle then we could still sign Bafe Gomis, who was our number one target when he was still at Lyon in the summer of 2013.

bafe gomis swasnea

Bafe Gomis – 30 year-old Swansea striker

There is news that 27 year-old Espanyol striker Felipe Caicedo may be available for about £7M – the same fee the 30 year-old Gomis would be available for – but Felipe is untested in the Premier League.

It turns out that at the moment we are favorites at 8/13 odds-on at SkyBet to sign the 30 year-old.

If we do end up signing Gomis that would not be good use of £7M for a 30 year-old and would almost be  the only striker option left to us – a poor option.

Gomis is said to have a release clause in his contract of £7M,

Swansea are close to signing Chievo striker Alberto Paloschi,  so they don’t think Gomis can do the job for them.

Gomis scored four goals in the first four games this season, one against Newcastle, but has only scored two in the last 19 appearances – he has 6 goals in 23 total appearance for the Swans this season.

We are hoping we can still get Loic Remy in on loan, but the fact that Leicester City are reported to be interested in signing him permanently is worrying.

Who would have thought Remy would have preferred joining Leicester to Newcastle a year ago?

But that could turn out to be what happens in the next four days.

In the last year Leicester have gone rocketing up to the top of the Premier League from bottom place – and we have gone in the opposite direction – just as fast.

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

114 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blofal // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:28 AM

It it McClaren though?

It doesn’t matter how many millions you spend if you are making the chances and not taking them.

We are creating chances. McClaren can’t make the players take them.

And I think our defensive lapses are often caused by our constant need to attack leaving us open at the back.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Mac needs to pick up at least 4 points from the next 2 prior to Chelsea and City (although City is to be rearranged).

Bournemouth and Swans have winnable fixtures next up, and if they do then it puts us under major pressure. Norwich Spuds, Sunderland Man City and West Ham Villa are more difficult for those around us.

On the following Saturday Villa play Norwich, which is huge for us. Again, Swans play Palace which is a good fixture for them. Bournemouth and Sunderland have it tougher against Arsenal and Liverpool respectively.

4 points would see us keep touch with Norwich, catch up Bournemouth a bit and pull away from Sunderland and Villa. 2 defeats isn’t worth thinking about.

I wonder whether they are planning for a Macca replacement if results don’t turn quickly?

• 3 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM

i know our scouting system is a bit of a joke but surely in the whole wide world there has to got be some relatively quick, mobile goal getter out there.

Blowing 25M on Thauvin and Townsend is stupid when we’ve addressed none of our key problem areas, apart from Shelvey being a creative midfielder.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM

It is only the last few games where we have really created many chances though. Prior to the New Year we were creating fewer chances per match than any other side in the league. Then, once the penny seems to have dropped about where to play Gini, he switches formation and again, we create less chances.

He has been misusing Gini most of the season, and it was fairly obvious watching the side play that he was.

There are clearly issues within the squad, as within any squad, but his job is to get the best out of them, and I’d say that other than the opening 45 against West Ham, so far he has not managed that at all.

A good training ground coach but tactically naive at times. Personally I’d prefer him to oversee youth development and have very little to do with the first team on match days.

• 5 cyprus // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I hope Shelvey proves to be what you describe, scary performance was his last.

I think the answer to your question is no. They’ll try to help this guy to get it right, even if the boat sinks. And 80 mil is decent help, for now.

• 6 King Colback // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:36 AM

How does a swansea fan find a sheep in long grass?

• 7 cyprus // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Maybe our next transfer should be a new coach (so the head coach stays)

• 8 Jack Root // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Wats/ Corky
    Byram was born in Thurrock/ Essex and his family live there. We were sniffing around but lack someone backing judgment.
    The sale was handled by Cellino (Chairman ?) at Leeds and it went to WHU over Everton.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM

You are probably right, although short of bringing in someone to ‘work alongside him’ like Swansea have done (this essentially reads as replace, but don’t want to tell him he is sacked) then what more help can they give after Monday?

If the boat sinks, how much of the £80 million will we recoup? Do we think Townsend and Shelvey have signed without release clauses if we go down? They will almost certainly have wage reduction clauses, so I’d imagine they argued that they deserved release clauses in response to that.

• 10 WWSBRD // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Winger was a key problem area mate

• 11 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Don’t really get the martinez hate. for years he was on a shoestring budget at wigan , having to play the likes of caldwell etc and somehow, ammazingly he kept them up year after year playing decent football.

Even the year they eventually went down he still won the cup against mega rich city.

He went to everton and got them 5th place and in to europe playing wonderful keeganesque football, after the dour, functional, fare Moyes served up.

He’s hit a road block like all managers do, but you do seem to be rather disproportionately dissing the man. You could argue we have good players but we are relgation threatened.

Players like Baines, Coleman, etc who have previously been outstanding are having off seasons. It happens.

I wouldn’t imind the likes of Allardyce, Pulis or AP gettinng sacked as they should all be done for crimes against football, but martinez is one of the good guys.

• 12 cyprus // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM

saying we’ve blown money on Townsend before he even kicks a ball for us is unfair. Maybe you are referring to the actual position. But wingers are still a pretty useful breed, when they can apply their trade.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM

So signing Thauvin who had had an appalling season and Townsend whose stats are woefully pathetic is going to solve that?

Not against signing a winger, just a productive one would have been nice.

• 14 The overrated Frenchman // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:44 AM

People around Swansea have found a couple of new things to do with sheep. Apparently you can eat them and use their wool.

• 15 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:44 AM

spuds fans are praising levy to the skies for getting 12m off us.

• 16 OneAlanShearer // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Our best xi as it stands?

Mitrovic Wijnaldum

Townsend colback shelvey sissoko

Dummett colo Mbemba Janmaat

442 but if we push up townsend for 433 we look potent. In my eyes Wijnaldum has to play but interesting to see where if we sign a top striker.

• 17 King Colback // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Did you hear the price of lamb has gone up in Swansea?

It’s now £6.70 per hour

• 18 BandB // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Once the window closes, a new manager would be the only roll of the dice left to the club.
    I don’t think McClaren will be allowed to take us to the last day as Carver was.
    There are unemployed managers out there who are used to having their players bought for them and who might like to work with Wijnaldum and Shelvey.
    Hopefully they may now see the sense in breaking the mould on the type of manager Charnley said they required.

• 19 cyprus // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM

So he gets no chance eh 😉
    I guess if he doesn’t score a wonder goal and put in an assist or two he is a waste.

I reserve my judgement. For instance, I thought Shelvey was overhyped as a player, he gave me a brilliant first game, a pathetic second. I’d love it, love it, if he becomes the signing of the season.

Same with Townsend. If Spuds fans are celebrating, I don’t really care. I argue that the fans themselves can’t really judge. He’s hardly played. I concede that that could mean something, btw.

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM

The idea of football is to score goals, more goals than the opposition. It thetefore goes without daying that you need a goal scorer. You get one and then build a team that will play to his strengths. What do we do? Spend the best part of £100m and don’t get a goal scorer. Now it’s a case of any goalscorer will do. What is the plan? Whose vision are we working to? It’s a dogs breakfast brought to us by the same people who served up the last bowl of tripe.

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM

It certainly isn’t hate, he just isn’t a particularly good manager. We do have good players and are struggling. I wouldn’t rate Macca or Martinez much different.

Martinez couldn’t even achieve the league positions of Bruce and Jewell at Wigan. The season before he took over they finished 11th. Martinez never managed above 15th. You name check Caldwell, but he was a Martinez signing and he made him captain….

The main reason for their fifth finish was the more attacking football based on Moyes defence. The longer he is there the poorer they have looked, he can get them playing all the nice football they want, but they are now a squad of better players that aren’t performing because he doesn’t understand how to set up a balanced side.

It isn’t a road block, it is something quite a few said would happen, much in the same way people are predicting Pardew’s demise based on his past, this was always going to be the case for Martinez.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Fans can’t really judge?

• 23 catchy in norway // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM

That’s your opinion , and you are welcome to have it. But I don’t see it as wasted, it’s like what comes first to you , the chicken or the egg, there are good arguments for both.

Every season every team needs to strengthen, and ask any fan of any club they will all give you a different position to fix and why.

Only a few weeks ago, loads of fans where complaining about Anita and Collback, headless chickens many would say, people complaining that Gini is wasted out on the left side.

There all valid arguments.

Now more than ever we need a finisher, because we are creating good chances, but for me I think about what SBR did for Shearer, thaw managers before SBR had Shearer running the line trying to get in behind the opposition defence, SBR said stop, I want you in the box, as you don’t have the legs to do it, I will get you runners, the next window he brought robert and Bellamy in, we had dyer and when fit we had a lot of pace in the team,

I really think that Mac has figured out what we need, and is addressing it, we have decent players coming in that looks on paper to be a very balanced team, and on top of that there seems to be a good team spirit throughout the squad.

Rome wasn’t built in a day

• 24 Toonfan8 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM

There are proven defenders available from EPL like Gibbs and G.Cahill, we should go all out for them, we are missing player like Cahill in CB

• 25 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Catchy I like your thinking but SBR and Macca are not in the same breed

• 26 corkypants // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Jack root

Yeah i heard that he grew up as a hammers fan theres still altot of good talent in the championship missed not just by us but by most prem teams.

Someone in the previous thread said mentioned Jordan Rhodes surely 7 million spent on him would be better than 7 million spent on caciedo or bafetimbe gomis

• 27 expatmag // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Saw your post earlier. Been a while since I was up your way touring the wineries and visiting the sanctuary.

On the subject of Allandale, I was there in September last year. Was also at Allenheads too

• 28 BandB // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:04 AM

A full tank won’t make a broken car go.
    Spending money is a start.
    Our relative form isn’t improving, and something that looks better but isn’t is cosmetic change, no matter how much it cost.

• 29 corkypants // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Also who would play tiote this weekend if the move is off

• 30 lochinvar // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Go Miss – somewhat unfortunate name for a striker

Would prefer Goal Getter whoever he plays for at the moment

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM

I don’t see Spurs former winger Aaron Lennon setting the heather alight at Everton.

• 32 cyprus // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:08 AM

B and B,
    I meant fans can’t judge him because they haven’t seen enough of him. He has been cold shouldered.

• 33 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Rumours flying round twitter this morning that we are after Luuk De Jong again. I bloody hope not

• 34 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:10 AM

if fans can’t judge ??

• 35 jazzyp // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Went for a job interview the other day. Trouble is I have a bit of a past, So the force wrote me off without giving me a chance to prove myself…Shame that !!

• 36 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM

take a chancel

he’s not exactly a speed merchant but bizarrely in a different system, ie not AP or JC he could just work.

• 37 beermonkey // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:13 AM

cant see dejong coming back

• 38 magscar // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Still feel there is a chance that Berahino will move this window but not necessarily to us. Do we need yet another England player with something to prove? Or would he be the pacy forward we have been sorely lacking once up to match fitness?

I am of the opinion he is likely to move because I can’t see what actual gain there is in WBA holding on to him until summer when he will only have 12 months contract left. He seems to have fallen out with both manager and chairman so is unlikely to sign an extension nor play regularly. As we know and surely Peace does this sort of scenario usually ends up with an eventual move for less than was on offer.

Spurs armed with Townsend money (in full as we always pay up front) could be in pole position if they are still interested. On the other hand if Peace is still miffed at Spurs unwelcome approach last summer might we be his favourite?

Unless Mac has seen something worth hanging on to in Riviere ( unlikely given Townsend arrival) it would be dangerous to rely on what we have and of the 3 strikers being regularly linked (Remy and Gomis being the others) Berahino would be my hope but not at anywhere near the inflated £30M supposedly wanted by Peace. He seems the only one that would see us moving forward next season as well.

However as we know beggars can’t be choosers so we may end up with the desperate choice or go with Townsend filling in as a 2cnd striker from match to match?

• 39 The overrated Frenchman // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:14 AM

My grandad worked in a lead mine at Allandale. Made a proper mess of the poor old bugger. Ruined his lungs. Same thing happened to the other grandad who worked in the tin mines in Cornwall, dead before I was born. Such is life. Anyway, I’ve drained the last of this bottle (a nice little Pinot, which followed a nice little Chardonnay, which followed a Four Pillars gin, made in Healesville and all) and I’m off to bed.

• 40 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:16 AM

I would love to see Berahino come but I think its unlikely

• 41 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:16 AM

i get that we need pace, absolutely and I would be delighted if Townsend proves me wrong and is more than just pace a la Obertan.

However, robert was very creative and bellamy was very quick and both had an awareness of team mates moving into space.

• 42 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:18 AM

I’ve seen worse linked than Gomis…
    Least he’d be premier league ready and already has a decent understanding with Shelvey…
    The club may have changed its emphasis and actually bought some English talent for good money, but it hasn’t broken it’s vow of signing players over 27 so I think this is a non starter!
    Both Shelvey and Townsend could be worth double in 2 years if they apply their ability. Shelvey needs to sort the mental approach out but is coming to an age where he should do that and who knows what townsend can achieve in a side where he’s first pick in his position and where the coach believes in him….not sure he’s had that consistency and stability before.
    For me the club is definitely still signing players with a view to future sellable profit. Gomis doesn’t fit into this.

• 43 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Berahino might not be in favour at West Brom, but he has featured in 18 of their 23 league games this season, and if they were to let him go would likely feel they need to replace him. Peace is probably thinking that it is now difficult to replace him so he isn’t available unless they receive an incredible bid.

I doubt his (realistic) value will deteriorate drastically between now and the summer, they would still likely be able to command between £15 and 25million for him. We paid £12 for Townsend and Bera has played more Prem minutes this season than Townsend has in the last 18 months.

• 44 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:18 AM

over rated

my grandad was also down the pits and it did for him. I know I ruffle feathers but i don’t think any human being or animal (horses back in the day too) should be forced to work in those conditions.

• 45 richyg01 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:19 AM

There are some players in the championship I would rather go for over Gomis.

Jordan Rhodes – Blackburn

Ross McCormack – Fulham

Andre Gray – Burnley

Chris Martin – Derby

• 46 optimistic prime // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:20 AM

I agree with all your comments on Martinez and so do the Majority of Everton fans.

I listened to talk sport during the day on Tuesday and they were talking about Martinez and Everton. Several fans phoned in and all said the same thing, they like the attacking football when it works but Martinez has no planb and has no idea how to set up a defence.

They said it was a pivotal year for him and if things didn’t change he’d be gone at the end of the year.

• 47 welshgeordie9 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Carry on with the Welsh jokes, me not saying anything just makes you look stupid, in fact after last night I’m not going to be arsed anymore to argue, i will just put my comments in, don’t like it tough.

• 48 WWSBRD // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Thuavin wasn’t that bad in France he was just very underwhelming and Townsend stats are comparable to Perez

We needed a winger and the club have tried to get one in not sure why the grumbling

• 49 richyg01 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Would anyone take Debuchy back?
    Mackems have had talks with him about a loan deal.

• 50 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM

McCormack is too old
    Rhodes would be decent

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM

So King Colback has turned his attention to welsh now, surely people should be condemning the troll not joining in with him

• 52 richyg01 // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Looks like Leicester may look at Pelle from Southampton instead of Remy.

Does that leave us a clear run at him?

• 53 King Colback // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:26 AM

There’s a new film to be released about one Swansea fans sexual conquests

It’s set to be a flockbuster

• 54 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Martinez’ football is easy on the high but Everton have gone backwards dramatically since Moyes left.
    Moyes never had a striker as good as Lukaku is at his current age, aswell as Barkley certainly been a lot further on in development now…
    If you look at their side on paper they are criminally under achieving,,,,
    Stones – englands first choice CB and apparently worth 40m.
    Coleman – for me the best right back in the league after zabaleta.
    Baines – great left back. England first choice pick. great at set pieces.
    McCarthy – great centre mid. Rated over 20m
    Barkley – potentially the best English player since Gascoigne
    Lukaku – Unplayable 28m striker that’s getting better and better.
    add into that Deleufeu, Miralles, Besic, Lennon, Jagielka, Barry etc aswell as the fact that they have one of the strongest u21 squads filled with youth internationals coming through. I think Martinez is doing well to only get the tiny bit of flak he has.

• 55 hibbitt // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM

i would give rhodes a chance knows were the goal is a model pro well worth a chance

• 56 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I thought the Spurs fans have seen Townsend man and boy. Surely they’ve seen enough of him over the years to be able to judge very well. It sounds like they’re genuinely delighted.

• 57 Shot Bru // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM

We won’t go down this season, we are in the safe hands of Mc Laren. We’ve spent money on good players. Townsend and Shelvey will improve the squad greatly.

They will compliment the likes of Mitrovic, Sissoko and De Jong.

The defence is just fine with Captain Colo, and the soon to be fit versatile Saylor.

Well coached by The young lad Cathro, next season we will be on a mission.

• 58 magscar // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Good points but he isn’t a player who seems to figure in Pulis’s plans and will surely have to be moved on before his contract expires so in next 12 months probably. Situation could improve if he realises he has to stay after next week and knuckles down again but he may have gone beyond that point. This sort of issue can impact on squad and managers don’t like having to deal with. Hasn’t he already been separated from 1st team earlier in season or am I mixing him up with another player?

His value ( Peace’s figment of imagination or real market value) will surely diminish so WBA will lose out to some degree as that is how transfers work in this post Bosman world – length of contact being a pivotal factor. Only hope for Peace then is for a moneybags club to come in and I don’t see any of those in the offing.

I can see that with the money around there is no desperate need to sell but keeping an unsettled and unwanted player with a diminishing value doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

Seems like brinkmanship to me and it may come down to how desperate we actually are – one man’s inflated price being another’s bargain ( if buy comes off).

• 59 will die for the toon army // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Imagine we get Wijnaldum, Luuk De Jong and Willems.

PSV wld have to be generous to us.

• 60 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Berahino will only have 12 months left on his contract in the summer…
    I actually feel we’ll get the deal done but it’ll be a deadline day job. West Brom know they won’t get anywhere near 20m for him in the summer, especially if he has another 6 months of coming off the bench. How he handled the last summer window probably affects his value too.
    Saw a report in one of the northern papers (can’t remember which) saying Newcastle are wary of signing another striker before deadline day incase Berahino can happen but that they had a couple of options they could trigger last minute if not. Im guessing the last minute options would be players with release clauses…

• 61 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM

He might have been separated, but I think you are possibly mixing him up with someone else (Townsend?). If he was then it can’t have been serious as he has played 18 of 23, being on the bench unused for 3 of the remaining 5 and was injured for 2.

Peace has apparently said he will be sold in the summer if offers come in, but not this window. His value may diminish, it may not. He may get a few goals for them in the remaining games and help keep them up, or increase his value. I doubt Peace will be too worried regarding a few million off his valuation for greater security in the remaining games. West Brom aren’t safe yet, so he could still be vital, and without time to find a replacement they would be foolish to let him go.

• 62 bladeuser // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Isn’t it time for school yet
    Some bloggers just haven’t got a scooby

• 63 manxpie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM

I used to quite like martinez until that game with mctwataman and now i am loving watching him whine on about bad decisions
    on townsend people saying spurs fans are loving levy for getting 12 mil for him there’s just as many saying he was badly treated over the last few seasons and deserved more chances and wishing him well

• 64 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM

I think considering the amount of money coming in at the end of this season we are only going to see the price of young English players go up. Even if Berahino comes off the bench the next 6 months I can’t see him being much less than £20mil. We should just get it done if he really is our main main target.

• 65 King Colback // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM

What do you call a Swansea fan with a stick up his bum?

A taffy apple

• 66 Shot Bru // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:43 AM

I’m starting to sound a lot lot like jimily!!

• 67 Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM

For Everton at Goodison next Wednesday 07.45pm

Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini Dummett
    Sissoko Shelvey Colback
    Perez Mitrovic

This is the side that started against West Ham and was 2 goals up after 20 minutes.

Replace Dummett (hamstring ) with Colback , play Saivet in midfield

Change it to 1 up front (I’d prefer starting with Perez to Mitro) and introduce Townsend on the left.

The jobs a good’un

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Yup, I’d agree with that. Plus the homegrown quota is set to increase. I don’t think there would be too many problems with getting the same in the summer as they would now.

• 69 TroubledToon // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Actually, Nicklarse Bendtner would be the worst option :p

• 70 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM

But Martinez has actually won something and will always, always play better football than Pardew.

I think a lot of everton’s problems has been stones head getting turned and possibly thinking he’s better than he is.

• 71 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM

If it is time for school for Shot Bru then his completely innocent optimism is no different to any one of us at that age.

• 72 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Can’t argue with that. Leaves a decent bench too.

• 73 Shot Bru // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Young at heart Sliema

• 74 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:49 AM

None of us could argue with that line-up… but since when has a Newcastle manager just done the sensible thing and played the players who get them wins?!

• 75 will die for the toon army // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM

I have liked the De Jong brothers and i still do. If Luuk comes i would b happy. He would cost like 15m

• 76 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Shot Bru

Hahaha… the stresses from this club/blog haven’t aged you?

• 77 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:51 AM

tbf i think most managers always defend their players, at least in public, if not behind closed doors.
    I don’t remember SAF coming out and slamming keane for what he did to the guy whose name I can’t remember.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard any manager attack his own players in public, apart from JC and Willo.

• 78 catchy in norway // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Band b

100% correct, but if the engine is running but misfiring, it shouldn’t take long before you figure out what is wrong. Where as a total breakdown then you have to look at everything as to what could be the cause.

Shteve came into a club where everything is/was broken, no leadership , moral , what moral, poor squad players, sorting all of that out takes a lot of strength and courage. in only 6 month the guy has got us playing miles better football, regardless of what the form guide says, it’s more about finishing good chances, not just half chances.
    Fans wanted communication, he sends out letters to the fans , and he seems a dam lot more open to us than P45 was.
    Signings , people asked for players with prem experience, he has tried to get young English players In and seems to have a good day in who we buy.

People who think P45 had no say in who we signed and sold are wide of the mark IMO, the only players he seemed to keep was players that obeyed his every word, if you went against him they seemed to disappear, looking at his 2 major signings at palace, adabayowork only when he wants to, and whickam, I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

I’m happy with the players being brought in

• 79 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM

@Sliema/Lilongwe – agree about him strengthening them for next 10 games but really not sure they’ll get more than 24m we’re apparently willing to go? Apparantly his price is 30m? Be the first to admit I’ve not seen enough of him to know if he’s actually that good. If its in the summer I’d prefer us to look at Andre Gray if Burnley don’t come up or Callum Wilson if Bournemouth go down

• 80 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Why would we try again with Luuk De Jong? Everyone on this blog whether informed or not said that Siem was the better of the two brothers… they’ve both had a stint with us and tbh they’ve both looked about as unadaptable to the premier league as any player I can remember! There MUST be better options than LDJ. We do not play in the Eredivisie guys!

• 81 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Cosmetic differences don’t make him a better manager. Mourinho must be a poor manager as well, as his sides have often played dull football? Football isn’t just about being easy on the eye, if you can’t do the defensive side of the game as well, you won’t be a good manager.

6 more goals conceded by Everton and it will be as many as Moyes conceded in his last season there. They have only conceded 7 less goals than ourselves, and we have a poor set of defenders. Only Mbemba would come close to getting a game in their defence, and even then fully fit he would likely just be back up.

Did Stones have his head turned last season when they conceded 50 goals? Compared to our 63 under Pardew and Carver?

I dread to think how many we would concede with Martinez in charge of our defence……

• 82 toon kk // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM

We’re basically playing without any striker’s, we look to Gini for our goals. Perez and Mitrovic are both good players but rarely score. Hence the need for a quality striker, and the main reason we’re going to be relegated without one.

• 83 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Will Die,
    £15million for Luuk De Jong? Ha, that would be having our pants pulled down… The guy is poor. Let him stay in Holland where even Dozy Altidore looked outstanding.

• 84 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Actually think Jordan Rhodes would be a decent option. He’s a real finisher. Takes his chances well and at the moment our problem is we’re creating but missing chances.
    I think Mitro has a real future at Newcastle, but I’m not sure he’ll ever be an out n out goal scorer. His strengths seem to be in link up play, hold up play, flick ons, knock downs etc.
    Rhodes is untested at the top level, but then so is everyone at one point or other. His runs are intelligent and his finishing is lethal. Hes scored than 1 in 2 at both Huddersfield and Blackburn who neither really attacks or creates that many chances. Only 25 too

• 85 Shot Bru // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM

A little Sliema dood!!

Surfing awesome waves in a beautiful part of the world, combined with watching the Toon battle on against all the odds… At the same time listening to the juvenile rants of bladeuser and the like…

Funnily enough keeps me young at heart…

We will avoid the drop!!

• 86 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM

We have offered £24million? I swear to god I will eat all 3 of my hats if we pay that for a player. The only time we would ever offer such an amount is if we knew it was gonna be rejected! (and then the story would conveniently leak)

He is certainly overpriced… and your Andre Grays should be cheaper… but probably not much cheaper since Lilongwe mentioned the HG player quota is increasing the end of the season. We have to get used to the inflated prices of good English players.

• 87 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Shot Bru

I agree, we will avoid the drop… but we like to do it in style.

Which are the waves of your choice btw?

• 88 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM

perez has got 5 goals this season, not sure how long it’s taken Townsend.

• 89 magscar // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:04 AM

As I was saying week or so ago Jan is always a sellers market and this one more than ever.

Still reckon Peace’s is a bargaining stance and he would sell at his price. Will Ashley intervene as he has supposedly with Spurs?

I think it really depends on the valuation we put on the player given our precarious position and if he is really viewed as a crucial rather than a luxury buy now. Next few days will tell.

Have to go out may be back on later

• 90 The overrated Frenchman // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Rotonda @44. The thing was nobody knew any different. You took what work you could find back then. My family emigrated and guess what they did when they got here? Worked in the mines in Victoria and Tasmania. It was all they knew.

• 91 toon kk // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Without a new quality striker who’s going to score our goals to keep us up? Don’t say Mitrovic he’s had weeks to prove himself, the lad needs time. .

• 92 Shot Bru // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM

I got a charter business running surf tours in the Mentawai islands off the coast of Sumatra.

Not a fan of McLaren and the set up within the club, but honestly think we will avoid relegation.

• 93 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:10 AM

@Catchy – agree with what you say there! I’ve said all along, even when we were losing lot in September/oct you can see where he’s trying to change things and it’s not overnight that it can happen.
    We constantly pass it out from the back now. We rarely pass longer than 25 yards, defenders never hoof it forward aimlessly. Consistency is the issue now. For periods in certain games we’ve played stuff I’ve not seen since Keegan.
    The first halfs against Man City and West Ham we dominated. Theres been numerous games where we would have been 3 up by half time if we had a finisher.
    We have a few problems that have cost us that seem to be getting sorted. Options off the bench have been pretty minimal. Similar to options at Centre Back. A fit steven taylor, whether you like or rate him is a big plus. I think people actually forget how positive his inclusion can be when he’s fit. Nearly all of our not conceding runs have occurred with him in the side and he puts it all on the line, never shirks a tackle. Him being back means Colocini and Mbemba don’t play each game thinking they’re untouchable. Positive competition.
    For me both full back positions are a problem. Janmaat is a defender who can’t defend. Dummett is a centrehalf really playing at left back and offers no support to who’s in front of him.
    Got a sneaky suspicion we’ll see Colback at left back at some point. Especially if Tiote stays on for 6 months. JC played more games at LB at sunderland than CM so isn’t an unknown quantity there. Similar Anita at Ajax.
    Can’t see either playing too much if we have Shelvey (probably 1ST pick) and Tiote available aswell as I think Saivet will probably start a fair few when he gets up to speed.

• 94 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM

@sliema – was rumoured in the press that that’s what we’d go upto… Seen the figure banded about Lacazette too but yea I agree i’ll be surprised when Ashley breaks our transfer record.

• 95 Bambams // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:16 AM

I think now that we have paid £12 million into Spurs coffers they will get Berahino. He would of already been here if he wanted the move.
    West Brom will have to do the deal eventually. I know pochetino stated he only wanted players that don’t rock the boat – gamesmanship possibly.
    Lacazette or Gabbiadini are remote possibilities but again I think they will only come to showcase what they can do.
    Shane Long would be a decent shout to help keep us up, reminds me of Ned Kelly – never gives CB’S a moment.
    Rhodes is decent from lower league.
    It’s a difficult one and to make my point we never seem to have a long term strategy. A clear plan of who we could sign that will complete a team.
    We seem so disjointed. …..Good player here, next to poor player, replace on but not strengthen where we should. It just seems knee jerk signings.
    Hope I am wrong but I genuinely think this could be the season we are found out.
    I have concerns re Shelvey and Townsend and their attitudes –
    Hope I am wrong

• 96 hibbitt // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:21 AM

any new’s you can share

• 97 belgrade fan // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Willo agreed fee with Wolves. bye bye Willo

• 98 chewbaccy // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM

luk de gong spotted with sim in greggs

• 99 toon kk // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Looking at our last fixtures, we probably have a chance of getting approximately between 9–12 points, will that be enough? No i don’t think so.
    Maybe with the right striker signed we may get a few more.

• 100 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:25 AM

sorry can’t really agree on saylor. I’ve seen him get turned so easily, even by people like Dzecko, not exactly renowned for their pace and get hopelessly pulled out of position. He’s very slow.

• 101 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:27 AM

When is Cisse due back ?

• 102 Jail for Ashley // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Our defensive woes would be a little less traumatic I Taylor could keep fit

• 103 martoon // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Jay @93 – Good post – I agree with everything you say. I can’t believe some of the negativity on here, apart from Thauvin I think we’ve made some excellent signings and according to Skysports we’re definitely after a striker. I know we could do with another defender but scoring goals is surely a priority.

• 104 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM

toon kk

Between Mitro, Perez, Gini we might just get enough to stay up. But as we know it’s a huge risk. Still, I think there is a tinybit too much quality for us to go down this time. Doesn’t mean I’m satisfied by any means or that I don’t think we are in danger.

• 105 Barton // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:38 AM

morning all,totally off topic,talking to my cousin last night,she’s a art student,apparantly they been asked to submit new designs for the club badge,the part that made my P&%$ boil,apparently can they incorporate SD in to the design,please,please do shoot the messenger

• 106 Sliema // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Shot Bru

Wow, what you doing on this blog then buddy?! Congrats though sounds like a sweet setup.

I also don’t rate Mclaren or anything about our current setup really but we have a couple of exciting players don’t you think? I think the future’s of the likes of Gini, Perez, Mbemba, Mitro, Krul, Janmaat are very promising… we have players there who could be part of a strong squad for the best part of the next decade if we have the ambition to keep them and build around them. Big if.

• 107 toon kk // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Are you missing Cisse? and his offside runs.

• 108 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Barton…leak the story to the local press mate!

• 109 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:48 AM

”please do shoot the messenger”

lol …ok then.

• 110 Rotonda heights // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:49 AM

so’s keeping them out.

• 111 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM

martoon…maybe having such a poor back line leads to us not scoring goals! Attacks are normally built from the back and a good defense is a good offence!

Don’t think for one minute that this is a quick fix because the problem runs deeper than that 😉

• 112 optimistic prime // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Anyone catch SSN this morning talking about how the CL wants to change qualifying so big clubs like Man U Chelsea etc are guaranteed a place?

Didn’t catch the full piece but apparantley they don’t like it if the worlds biggest clubs don’t make it and want to come up with a way they’re guaranteed places in the comp.

If true it’s a complete pi55 take

• 113 jayphoto // Jan 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Not 100% sure what the craic is with Townsends attitude questions. He looks like he gives 100% on the pitch, comes across well in his interviews and was well liked by most of his managers. Heard that even Pocchetino has been impressed with his work rate and effort since falling out with the fitness coach which for the record was an argument and warming up/down rather than an argument about his actual fitness or work rate.
    Big plus to me that he asked to play u21s if he wasn’t playing first team! More than some would do

• 114 Bambams // Jan 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I don’t know any definite targets, neither do the players ( I am told) or my sources.
    I am NOT ITK but I get info about a few things re ‘day to day’ or if our timing is spot on I find out about a signing if they are here or on their way.
    I may hear something before the window, but it’s usually a couple of hours before SSN
    I am always apprehensive to put stuff on here in case of abuse or my source getting grief.
    Not worth the risk.
    Hope you understand fella. I am a supporter like you.

previous post: Pressure Will Now Be On This Man To Revive Newcastle