The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Report – Newcastle to Take Brazilian Full Back On Loan

5:20 pm, Friday, January 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

Keith Downie of Sky Sports is reporting that Newcastle are ready to take 29 year-old Atletico Madrid’s Brazilian left back Guilherme Siqueira on loan for the rest of the season and in a late update from Keith he says Guilherme is expected at Newcastle over the weekend to take a medical.

It looks like this deal could be real!

29 year-old Atletico Madrid left back Guilherme Siqueira

The player has been at the Madrid club since the summer of 2014 when he signed on from Spanish club Granada, but he has played only 7 times for Atletico so far this season.

However, in the last 18 months since joining Atletico Madrid he has played a total of 45 times for the Spanish club.

There was news earlier today that we are interested in signing Valencia Argentine International left-back Lucas Orban on loan for the rest of the season – so it looks we will bring at least one left back in before Monday.

Orban can also play at center-back.

After beginning his career in Brazil Siqueira signed on at Udinese in Italy in 2006 and was there for four years before signing on at Granada.

He also stayed there for four years and played 108 times with 13 goals for Granada before moving to Atletico Madrid 18 months ago.

In the 2013-2014 season he went on a season long loan to Benfica and he played in the Europa League Final for Benfica when they lost to Sevilla on penalties.

In that season he played 33 times for the Portuguese giants, so he is an experienced player.

It could be that Newcastle are moving for some defenders who the Newcastle coach Ian Cathro knows about because of the time he spent in Spain as assistant manager at Valencia and in the same capacity with Rio Ave in Portugal.

Either of these left backs on loan would seem to be a good deal for Newcastle.

Tags: Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 Fostino // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:21 PM

That’s quick Ed

• 2 Fostino // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Anyone know anything about him?????

• 3 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Feel I should talk about Doumbia on here since I talked about this lad on the last. Erm was good in Russia and terrible in Italy but brilliant on video games

Would rather have Remy or Berah

• 4 JamesToon // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Would be very happy with Doumbia and Siqueira. Doumbia would offer us a lot of pace up front, I’m sure he will adapt to this league quickly, and siquiera an experienced left back used to rate him highly, good at attacking but hasn’t played a lot this season

• 5 optimistic prime // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:25 PM

I only play 1st person shooters so can’t comment on Doumbia on FIFA 😉

• 6 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Siqueira will be a decent stop-gap until the summer, to provide competition and somebody capable of overlapping Townsend. Does his best work going forward, can be rash in the tackle. Definitely not a long-term solution.

• 7 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:25 PM

I hope Williamson leaving guarantees we are looking for at least one new defender with LB as a priority .
    I would go for Gibbs as he will take no time to bed in.

Team after Jan fingers crossed :

If McLaren can’t keep that team up he should be shot .

• 8 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Its good to see that the club are finally thinking outside the French box for players !!

The Atletico left back could be a good bit of business hes solid defensively , quick and being someone who Simeone has signed will be a master of the dark arts of fouling which we need in the team ! He is not getting a game because they have that former Chelsea left back ahead of him!

Finally signing English players and players from bigger clubs in Spain and possibly Italy with Doumbia is it just relegation panic that is causing this change in transfer policy?

• 9 optimistic prime // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Reports saying we’re stealing Doumbia off the mackems

• 10 AncientC // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:29 PM

• 11 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Oh aye am certainly not against him he sounds like a quality loan but I doubt he will become a NUFC player more more than 6 months sounds like a stop gap until the summer if it comes off maybe not though

My words I am entirely ignorant to this bloke and deal haha I love it

• 12 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Of course I’ll reserve judgment on any player, but my reaction is that this all smacks of desperation borne of incompetence.

• 13 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Remember when we were about to sign Rivaldo? 😀

• 14 firebug666 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM

I shall defer to those who know more on this player.

Having said that it is a little exciting to think that the club have either realised where we need changes, or they are spying on this blog for tips on what the head coach needs. 😀

• 15 nut meg // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM

• 16 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Well he can’t be worse than Cacapa

• 17 Fostino // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Of course this reeks of desperation but im just glad we are trying to solve it. Suggests that these are 2 positions they have identified that needs addressing …even though we all figured this out a long tine ago

• 18 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Also Doumbia is tailor made for the Premier League IMO .

He is strong and has lightning pace . I can only imagine Shelvey pinging through balls for him to chase .

• 19 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Haha yeah but problem is mate I doubt anyone on here has any clue on him

Just watched a youtube highlights reel of him and seems his tackling is horrific…wish I hadnt watched it tbh

• 20 Fostino // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM

If that youtube video is his best bits..then he looks nothing amazing . Total short term solution

• 21 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Sky say we are after Doumbia.

I wonder if Cathro recommended the left back

• 22 jazzyp // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Doumbia on initial loan till the summer …SSN

• 23 jazzyp // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:40 PM

• 24 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Sometimes you need to sign stop gaps to get you through the 2nd half of the season which is something our club has not done for years

It would be better to get these 2 players than get no one at all !!

• 25 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:40 PM

But why did he fail so badly in Italy?

• 26 ronaldo aarons // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Doumbia is good striker but I don’t think he is built for this league. If we’re looking at African strikers then I think oumar niasse would be perfect. Hard working, fast finisher with a powerful shot. Loves playing on the shoulder. Plus he can play with the ball at his feet. He is a gamble but seeing as he is someone who has developed late he only seems to be getting better like drogba did though they are different types of strikers.

• 27 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:41 PM

I also take solace in the fact Ashley must be squirming in his seat forking out all this money so he doesn’t miss out on that big juicy carrot coming next season .

• 28 jazzyp // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Loan with a view to a permanent deal would be a cracking deal

• 29 defenders needed // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:43 PM

At least we’re buying a lb instead of using Rolando as a make shift lb like last weeks shambles

• 30 croftus5678 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:43 PM

doumbia would be perfect imo as would Siqueira as we have arma and hairdryer and it would be perfect to give them time to evolve with less pressure.

• 31 toontaff2 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:43 PM

If we had really been desperate – Ashley Cole and Adebeyour.

• 32 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Too old to be permanent mate this is still NUFC

• 33 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:45 PM

@ WWSBRD

Seri A isn’t as open or fast paced as the PL as the Italians are known for their defending .

Currently the English game is about counter attacking, and with Sissoko, Townsend , Doumbia & Wijnaldum all using their pace with shelve picking out passes it could be something special .

• 34 Mister Tuff // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:46 PM

WWSRB – I seek not fans on the blog -which is clearly what others do in order for them to win or think they’ve won debates which have been rejected by the majority.
    By and large these “fans” as you put it all eminitate from debates/spats from those inclined to believe King Percy was the bees knees. They do not forget their “ass whoopings” and return time after time for a dig/pop – under the guise of something else.
    I find it quite amusing that some “converts” away from the King post along the lines of “I never liked King Percy/ I never thought he was a top manager………….BUT……………!
    They cannot help themselves.

• 35 Fostino // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Would prefer remy to this guy and Enrique to the other guy on loans. Bring back the oldies

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM

welsh – stop your mischief and attention seeking.

• 37 toontaff2 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Penfold has gone into overdrive – pass the sugar, Mike.

• 38 SPRINGY // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM

do any of you think with obertan out injured till april they might omit him from the squad altogether?

• 39 JamesToon // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Siqueira looks good going forward skilful and can cross. Real madrid tried to sign him year or 2 ago

• 40 jazzyp // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Bit harsh to judge a player on 13 games pal to say he was such a failure,Especially as he was carrying little injuries.

Mitrovic has played around the same games…Does that make him a failure ?
    I agree tho on our current transfer policy than 29 would be to old. But if it is just for a loan then I would definitely welcome the guy.

• 41 Fostino // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM

• 42 Jib // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:51 PM

To me this confirms that Jetro Willems is coming in Summer if we avoid the drop.

• 43 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Doumbia is a slightly quicker Cisse. Not lightning quick and certainly not strong, very slight frame and doesn’t punch above his weight, a slightly better dribbler but is prone to loose touches like Cisse under no pressure. Don’t know where some of you get your opinions and perspectives. Actually I do, video games!

• 44 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Is the Russian league that akin to ours though?

Aww but fans are so much fun! Tbh I just find it funny that everytime u talk u get jumped on…simple things in life eh

• 45 LGFUAD21 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Someone told me about the Gibbs link before the media reported it.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that Arsenal would let their second choice LB leave on loan while chasing for the title. But then again, Arsenal do like to shoot themselves in the foot.

Gibbs on loan would be a fantastic move if it happened. He’s a great left back that just hasnt quite been given enough of a chance at Arsenal.

Im not sure on Doumbia. Before he signed for Roma I thought he’d be a great option.

Remy for me on loan would be best bet.

• 46 Fostino // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:52 PM

• 47 SPRINGY // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:53 PM

hiddink said today at the press conference that remy has a calf strain….might be bull to deflect transfer questions like.. but maybe why we are looking at doumbia.

• 48 LGFUAD21 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Also on Doumbia

You cant really judge him on his Roma form. He’s played about 10 games in total.

Italian clubs tned to do weird things in the transfer market. Like AC Milan with Torres

• 49 croftus5678 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM

@44 jib

bloody hope so that lads a class act.

• 50 jazzyp // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Big Pappa

I agree mate. Would we sooner put our hopes on Riviere or Cisse who doesn’t give a sh@t about the club anymore ?.
    Getting Doumbia to come to a relegation threatened club is another story but we can always hope pal

• 51 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Doumbia looks older than Cisse lol

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM

These sound like backup plans to me. They can’t get their main targets as usual. Doumbia might or might not work out and who knows about the LB? Doumbia can’t hurt though. I can remember people posting about him for years.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:56 PM

WWSBRD – jumped on – not so – only from the clique of misfits on here.
    No problems with the decent posters.

• 54 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:57 PM

@ Hail Wor Ashley

Slightly quicker Cisse ? .

He is at least 10 times faster than Cisse m8 🙂 .

• 55 firebug666 // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Sorry for late reply mate I was on the phone, But yep those highlights look proper scary. If he can’t get the ball the player is going down, I hope experience has taught him better.

Injured or not I would exclude him from the squad, he is one that needs moving on.

I would expect Macca will exclude any players out for the season.

• 56 ronaldo aarons // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:58 PM

If we’re looking for an African striker, go for this guy. I don’t think Senegal are in ACON.

Really thinks he’s a better fit for us than doumbia.

• 57 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:59 PM

I still think the safer bet would be to go for Remy or Berahino as they will be ready and raring to go .

This season is solely about PL survival and we could maybe try for Lacazette next season .

• 58 JamesToon // Jan 29, 2016 at 5:59 PM

If we can’t avoid relegation fairly comfortably with our team now….

• 59 jazzyp // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Doumbia, 28, spent five years at CSKA Moscow before moving to Roma at the start of 2015.

He struggled to make an impact in Italy, scoring just two goals in the second half of last season, and rejoined the Russian club on loan last summer.

However, since his return to CSKA has seen the striker’s stock rise sharply, with goals in the Champions League against Manchester United and PSV Eindhoven (5 in 13 in all competitions).

• 60 reilly // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Sky Sources: Guilherme Siqueira will travel to Newcastle over the weekend to have a medical with the club.

• 61 JamesToon // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Team for Everton for me:

• 62 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Thats what I meant mate, u have offended a certain set who are keen to make it know that u have

Nee bosh mate it is rather scary hopefully thats not how he acts in every tackle as he will spend most of his 6 months suspended

• 63 GeordieTwo // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Looks to me like West Brom don’t want to help us out of the relegation zone by shipping Berahino over to us. Not for what we would pay at any rate. I’m not convinced by him. A very poor attitude. Is he robust enough to stay fit in the Prem? Lots of questions for me. We take far too long to get players in though. I think a lot of that comes down to Charnley. Not good enough, like his boss.

• 64 Rotonda heights // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:06 PM

wonder why they went cold on the argentinian so quick

• 65 GeordieTwo // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM

All the silly talk of getting Vidic and now he retires. He was done at Prem level when he left ManU. We have to stay sensible about this (hilarious coming from me I know). Running around recommending players like him doesn’t help and gets the younger posters excited for nothing.

• 66 carl // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Yer miserable on yer bike!

• 67 mattyNUFC // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM

this guy looks interesting

doumbia over remy any day. loic is utterly slow and has hardly played in 18 months

• 68 why oh why // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM

@james toon
    I would play do is o g side mitro not Perez

• 69 mattyNUFC // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:10 PM

mind, id prefer berahino over anyone else. that kids positioning is top class

• 70 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM

I’ve never seen Doumbia play, is he any good?

• 71 carl // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM

I wish I had a quid for every one that old grumpy Tuff has upset and bullied. He calls it Tuffism.

• 72 carl // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Everyone brings joy to the blog. Some when they enter and others when they leave.
    On yer bike Tuff.

• 73 jazzyp // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM

According to the express, Leicester on the verge of signing Remy

• 74 mattyNUFC // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:20 PM

ive only seen him for ivory coast. wouldnt say i was uber impressed but man is he quick

• 75 Mister Tuff // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Hahaha – as if on cue one of Alpha Dogs mongrel pack has arrived. —–Carl.

Carl – can you just remind me how you know Alpha Dog – as I recall – both met in Gateshead something to do with a gym, and you were both staying at the Premier Inn but you knew him beforehand. And then just happened to meet on the blog – yer right/yeah right.
    You have the same writing style, have the same message, have the same “enemies” and speak identical phrases -Yer right.
    Confess you scumbag – the game is up.

• 76 spaghetti bandit // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Doumbia,,gd player obviously has bucket loads in weeker leagues but watched him against one of our champ leagues clubs n played well n got a couple over th 2 games thing is a cant see how he’s 28 kid looks nearer 40

• 77 GeordieTwo // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM

I’m not sure I believe Doumbia would want to come to us. It doesn’t really make sense. And he’s 28 now. Hmmm. I think we’re getting desperate. This smells like another empty rumour to me.

• 78 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM

So after a year with no cover does anyone actually think this lads any better than santon? The same with shelvey for cabaye…. And cabella, thauvin and townsend for about 40m compared to ben arfa? Wish the club would take a change in policy and try replacing the bad players with good players for a change not the other way around!

• 79 mattyNUFC // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM

whoever compared him to bony was way off the mark though. bony is much better with hold up play.

i redact on my last statement. id take bony before saido

• 80 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM

If there’s one person on the blog I’d give a knuckle sandwich, it’s that maggot brain aka Mister Tuff.

• 81 Big Pappa Cissé // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM

@ Williamson is Bramble in disguise

I agree, and we might see the end of Carr being our chief scout at the end of the season .

one in every 5 signings is decent but the rest are duds, he surely has to be at fault . Especially when he is spending Scrooge Mcduck incarnates money .

Not sure if it was him or Pardew that let HBA go which is looking like a huge mistake .

• 82 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Steve Nicol claims that Newcastle are ‘taking a gamble’ with the signing of Andros Townsend.

The former Liverpool player says that what Newcastle need in their relegation fight is players who can come in straight away and put in good performances every match.

Nicol says that this isn’t Andros Townsend, accusing the winger of inconsistency and saying he is one of three things – ‘up there’, ‘down there’, or sitting on the bench.

These are my thoughts, except I fear he’ll not be “up there” too often.

And (yes Anthc “And”) a new foreign left back (no verb Anth). Is he going to replace a Geordie left back who knows the league and who has helped us win points? Big gamble bringing in foreigners at any time, but especially at this stage.

So much money spent in a panic on massive gambles.

• 83 GeordieTwo // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:28 PM

That’s why we’re where we are Willo mate. We stumble around in the transfer market looking for “deals”. Most of the time they are flops. I think Shelvey will be decent as he was for most of his time with Swansea. The jury is out on Townsend. Sissoko will probably leave in summer. Still we aren’t building anything solid at all. This is so predictable from a worm like Ashley.

• 84 carl // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Tuff-A lot are waiting for you to go so we can start on football. Numb nuts on yer bike!

• 85 2_goal_tino // Jan 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM

‘He will be only the 4th Brazilian to play for Newcastle, if he signs that is. I wonder what the aversion has been to Brazilian players in the past.’

That is easy to answer in three words… Caçapa, Fumaça, Mirandinha … that triumvirate is enough to put anyone off!

• 86 Darknite // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:36 PM

He is a good player. Maybe he will be the one who will change Newcastle’s aversion with Brazilian players.

• 87 peterk3 // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:09 PM

When Siqueira first started as a youngster on the Atari, he showed potential. He then was transferred to Megdrive and took a step back, however his big move came when x-box came in for him. Wii then tried to take him n loan but he couldn’t fit in to that console. He is currently plying his trade on the Playstation ( FIFA).
    This report was written for the bloggers who cant seem to differentiate video games to real life football.
    So sad!!