The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Townsend – McClaren Has Filled Me With Huge Confidence

8:51 am, Friday, January 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 66 Comments

Andros Townsend has said that Steve McClaren has shown him a 10 minute video he made of him – and he went through it with our new arrival and Steve pointed out both the good things and the areas of improvement with his play that the Newcastle head coach wants to see from Andros as an out-and-out winger on Tyneside.

andros townsend 2

Andros Townsend in training yesterday

Steve also told Andros the things he wants to see him do more of at Newcastle and it was things like taking on the defender, getting crosses in and having some shots at goal – something Andros may do too much of at times.

Basically it’s old fashioned wing play.

This is what Andros said yesterday about the video Steve showed him.

“The manager has basically shown me video clips of me out of possession, running back, helping the full-back, on both sides, me in possession, taking full-backs on, getting in crosses, shots, scoring goals.”

“Basically filling me with huge confidence and knowing I have a manager up here who has huge faith in me and belief in my ability.”

That’s good man management from Steve McClaren, because it shows Townsend that Steve did his homework on him and he knows exactly how he will fit into the Newcastle aside and what Townsend’s  job will be.

That’s got to give Andros a lot of confidence right from the start f his career at Newcastle, and it’s some impressive coaching from Steve McClaren.

Andros also showed he is a down to earth guy with this comment yesterday:

“I knew that I needed to play football if I was going to make a permanent move in January and hit the ground running.”

“If I had been all big time and started believing all the hype and thinking I was too good for the Spurs U-21s, then it would not have benefited me come January.”

“So you kind of take ego out of the equation, buckle down and play football at any level I could get –  and hopefully reap the benefits from that.”

Those are good words from Andros Townsend.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Coaching · Management · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

66 responses so far ↓

• 1 JamRec // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:00 AM

This is why unlike a lot of people, I think Macca is doing and will do a good job for us! He’s a great coach, not necessary a great manager… but isn’t his official position head coach anyway?! So it’s his job to get the players motivated and get them performing (something Carver and even Pards failed to do in times of struggle). Given time I think we will start to see a really good team here and an effective coach!

• 2 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:02 AM

JamesRec

I admit he can be an affective coach, however how long can we give him? we need results ASAP

• 3 Jib // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:02 AM

Any potential England player who is not getting regular footy at his club is a potential loan target for us , as Hodgson will be taking in Toon matches to watch Shelvey and Townsend until seasons end.

• 4 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:02 AM

sorry JamRec

• 5 JamRec // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Chancel

Yeah I get that we can’t wait around forever and the results haven’t been good. But he has got the players performing and giving 100%. We create a lot of chances something we haven’t been able to do for awhile. The problem is he’s playing attacking football without an effective striker upfront and with a weakened defense!

Jib

Yeah it could turn out to be an effective way of getting players in. I’d take Gibbs on loan 🙂

• 6 geordie157 // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Are we allowed to loan Remy and Gibbs? I thought the rules were one loan from a fellow premier league club.

I’d be happy with Remy or Rhodes if he’s not too expensive. With gibbs, de sciglio or gunter coming in to give us more options at the back.

• 7 Toon_Tom // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM

JamRec – I totally agree with you.

Under Shteve we are playing better football, on the ground, keeping the ball and creating more chances.

Shelvey and Townsend are decent signings IMO, they will help create more chances which hopefully Mitro will latch on to and start banging them in.

Cisse is back soon and he was at his best when we had Cabaye in the team, bossing the midfield and laying them up to Cisse which Shelvey could now do if Cisse gets his shooting boots on.

Im still hopeful we will get Remy on Monday or someone under the radar (please not Gomis) which will be the best transfer window for us in a long time.

Also – Shola is available 😉

• 8 toon kk // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Geordie
    Why does it bother you if a player is too expensive? It’s what’s best for the club.

• 9 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Murray is playing like a twonk

• 10 hibbitt // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:25 AM

rhodes is less of a risk then the last 3 players from the french league

• 11 corkypants // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Yeah McClarren needs abit of time after what he inherited from carver and pardew. I am hopefull of a few really good results with a new balanced look to the team Andros im a 100 percent positive will start on the left socks on the right and gini through the middle. That is a strong attacking three behind mitro!!!

• 12 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:33 AM

When is Cisse coming back. Cisse is still our best finisher and he would have probably finished the countless chance mitrovic had the last few games.

• 13 catchy in norway // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Take a chance

I think you and so many have underestimated how big the job was that needed to be done at the club, at all levels , from coaching which seemed none existent, scouting no real direction , leadership from owner and chairman and lastly player confidence and psychology.

In what I think is a very short time considering how long p45 had, Shteve has turned things around fairly quickly in my book.

Under P45 and that so called Geordie bloke, relegation was inevertable , regardless of playing staff only a few fans believed in them and what they were doing, there was no foundation for them to say we are confident we can win games, because it was based on keeping the ball and not allowing players to support the front man, we ended up not passing and shooting for 30 yardsish, we beat top teams by defending for our life’s and sneaking a goal with a rare attack , but saying that , that was also the tactics vs Norwich at home.

But it is different under Shteve , gone are the long balls , the ball is on the deck with the players always looking to provide options , when we beat the so called big teams it’s a fully deserved victory because of positive football, the positivity around the club is amazing and improving each week, the direction in where the club is going is clear and money is being spent to get us there, we don’t win games because of not trying to win them, even in some our poor games recently , we have created good enough chances to win them, but chances are not being taken.

People saying this transfer didn’t work out and blamed silly things like he is French , come on man, Man U took Falco and that did not work out, then chelsea took him, pedigree wise there is no reason why it shouldn’t have worked , but it didn’t , Man U bought Memphis, wow what a flop he has turned out to be, and he gets to play, even worse still , Rooney is on 300 k every week, and needs refs to give him pens to keep his tally up and break records for England. Every signing is a gamble, 3 out of four of this years big signings doing good is not bad in my book.

Shteve has done ok, he needs a little luck now, then once this squad is in. A safer place , we will be top 6. Next season

• 14 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Catchy

I don’t underestimate Macca’s challenge, however we cannot keep losing or we will go down!

• 15 JamRec // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Toon Tom and ilovetoon

Yes! This is exactly the point I was trying to argue yesterday… Cisse is exactly what we need right now. He might not be the most skillful player, he might not be a great passer or even be able to hold the ball up well… but he finds the back of the net and that’s all we need right now, we have other players to bring the skill, to hold the ball up and to pass!

ToonTom – those were my words yesterday… when Cabaye was here Cisse made the most of the perfect passes he was given… I’d like to see Shelvey, Cisse, Gini, Sissoko and Townsend on the pitch together…

• 16 Toon_Tom // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM

catchy – “here-here”

• 17 sweendog // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:44 AM

not sure on Rhodes, he is a Cisse player, either he scores or he brings nothing to the game, no chasing down, no running down channels etc …heard he is currently a sub at Blackburn, although I think he came off the bench and scored the other night.
    Would prefer Lacazette or some harder working runner with skill to play off mitro, sure he’s too expensive and probably not going to happen.

• 18 Toon Tang // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Mcclazza whispering sweet nothings in Townsends ear over a bottle of pinot noir

• 19 sweendog // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:47 AM

JamRec .. agreed Cisse back will make a big difference, still need another quality finisher first and foremost and ideally one that occupy defenders, preferably a pacey one too.

• 20 Toon_Tom // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:49 AM

im generally excited to see what Townsend will bring to the team. Will definitely give us more balance if Sissoko remains on the RW.

We are still crying out for a CB but if we dont invest in a defender this window I still think our forward play will vastly improve with Shelvey and Townsend. Gini will hopefully keep chipping in with the goals and if Mitro bangs in a couple that will boost his confidence and hopefully will start hitting the net more often.

• 21 JamRec // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Catchy

I completely agree with you. Everything is a gamble and at the moment we are recovering from a bluff that went wrong, Ashley thought we could survive without replacing big players!

Now he’s gone all in, it’s always going to be a risk no matter what decisions are made! Any player can flop or get injured. We just have to get behind the team and Steve

• 22 Bambams // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Not sure if you lot have seen this. Surely Cathro can help sway us into getting him here, must know all about him.

• 23 hibbitt // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:54 AM

sweendog
    the question was go-miss or rhoads ???

• 24 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Soooooo Gibbs or Remy on loan, pretty sure rules say we cant have both but I could be wrong? Seems Berahino is top target (not sure why) with Remy as back up then Gomis (worst option imo) and now Rhodes (seems a dodgy link if am honest)

Other news Cisse coming back to fitness and people are getting high on it club want shot of him guys and if he is coming into fitness they will be trying their hardest to get him out the door before the window shuts. Unfortunatley I am not 100% against it if it means we get a new striker in

• 25 catchy in norway // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Jamrec

I have a different view on it, I actually think Ashley found p45 out a while ago and wanted him out, I honestly think that’s why joke was brought back in that position, but p45 just kept digging in.

My honest opinion is p45 said that he could develop players and that he could help with the turn over of players because he is such a great coach, I don’t believe any player was sold from underneath p45 without him knowing what was going on, people saying cabaye and Ba have totally got it wrong , both wanted to leave and were sold for good money , people forget Cabaye went on strike to force the move, in stark contrast, players want to join Shteve in this little club up north, young English talent.

Just look at who p45 is buying with free will, I wouldn’t trust him and he is proving so, he said he wanted adabayowork when he was at nufc , yeah another Shola

• 26 cyprus // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Ed,
    Actually those words aren’t all that amazing. He’s maybe saying he came down a level by coming here. Never mind.
    I have a lot of hope in this guy – unlike some bloggers 🙂 More so than Shelves (disclaimer, last time: praying I’m wrong)

• 27 JamRec // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Catchy

Interesting take on things. So do you not think P45 was pushing hard enough to keep the likes of Cabaye and then not pushing enough to have him replaced?

As for Stevey I love that he is managing to attract some English players up north and hopefully it can be the start of something good! We deserve a break after the shambles we have lately at all levels!

• 28 manxpie // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Catchy adebayour another shola!? He must be near a 1 in 2 striker scored goals where ever he’s been

• 29 Jib // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM

It constantly affords me a wry smile when the windbags on this blog (no names , you know who you are ) have a pop at various individuals in the club when a player turns out to be a bad fit or even just not good enough.

I am a big admirer of Arsene Wenger and what he has achieved.

Arsenal are reputed to have the biggest and best scouting network in the PL all working hand in glove with Wenger.

I just thought I’d list some of Wengers “flops” and missed opportunities to show that acquiring players and melding them with ones team isn’t the exact science the know it alls on here think it is (FIFA footy manager has a ot to answer for)
    Some of the better known flops

Niklas Bendtner
    Francis Jeffers
    Lukas Podolski
    Sébastien Squillaci

These 4 cost a fortune he has had many more relatively cheeap flops.

Wenger also gave a trial to Zlatan Ibrahimovic whom he rejected – Z.I. went on to win championships in 6 different countries.

He was also offered first refusal on thesethese players early in their careers.

Cristiano Ronaldo ( 3 times)
    Didier Drogba (numerous times)
    Xabi Alonso (twice )

Even the best can drop clangers

• 30 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM

catchy
    So in ur opinion Ashley instead of firing employee A decided to hire employee B who was grossly incapable of doing the job in order to get employee A to quit

• 31 Lindisfarne // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Catchy – on fire this morning. Not a bad reflection on previous days.

Any PL club can have two (? definitely more than one) loan players in the squad, but not from the same Club. Therefore Remy & Gibbs would be fine, superficially.

• 32 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Is this Valencia Left Back any cop?

• 33 sweendog // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:30 AM

hibbitt .. now that you’ve said that I would prefer neither really.

• 34 Jib // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Various English papers are reporting we are after Valencia’s Argentinian full back Lucas Orban.

They say it is in the Spanish press but I can see no sign of it !

• 35 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Jib

Is Lucas Orban any good though?

• 36 hibbitt // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:36 AM

sweendog
    thats fair enough but that’s the level we are getting down to if this lot dont get there finger out soon

• 37 beermonkey // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:41 AM

catchy

do u think McLaren will be able to finish the squad
    or are we just patching it up to get by

• 38 optimistic prime // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Interesting debate on Berihinio on SSN this morning.
    They seem to think Pullis would like to let him leave, the longer he’s on the bench the more his value goes down and he loses match fitness and sharpness.

Pullis does look sick of the whole thing.

They were saying 18m is about right for him, it seems they think he’ll leave in jan.

• 39 catchy in norway // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Jamrec/ wwsb

No, I don’t think he was pushing for new players, I honestly believe p45 new exactly what his job was. Which was to coach the players he was given, No one ever heard of him having a fall out with lameass, but everyone heard about lameass getting pushed out, laneass was the only one protecting p45.

Why would Ashley hire Joke? The guy had a bad heart, the guy had a title, his job was not to turn up to work mon-fri talk pap to the press, and everything was said in in a way as to undermine p45.

Pardew new all of this and engineered a way out of it, and it was clever if you ask me, Ashley made great money out of it. Pardew got out of our club with an inhanced reputation because the blame was pinned on Ashley. The press and pundits alike never watched us play that much but did there homework reading what the results where and what O45 had to say after the matches, every time I listened to some of these pundits they would say nufc had an off day today , they weren’t there normal attacking selfs, to many just listen to p45 self hyp,

Manx

I have no doubt he is a good player, when he wants to be, looking forward to reading about why is having bad games though, maybe it will be his witch doctor mother putting spells on him, or maybe a sick elephant or some gerraff has a sore neck, all the teams he has done well in have had very good players supporting him up front, let’s see how good he is all by himself up top.

Relegation scrap calling Pardew , relegation scrap calling Pardew this is your last call, and p45 is doing his best to join the fight, poor tactics and poor football , looks like the real p45 is finally turning up

• 40 optimistic prime // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:50 AM

There’s also talk WBA don’t want to sell to us, so does that mean they’ll sell to someone else?

I think there’s a decent chance we’ll get him last day of the window, IMO WBA are playing games trying to get us and spurs into a bidding war. They’ll cut their losses in the end, £30m in the summer £18m now, what will they get this summer if he’s sat on bench all season and only has 12 months left on his contract. I’ll be surprised if he’s at WBA next week.

• 41 catchy in norway // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Beer

No squad is ever complete,

And these signings are not patch up signings, these players are all at a great age with very good pedigrees behind them, even Florian has great ability, he just needs to toughen up, once he gets out of his own way , he will shine

• 42 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 10:58 AM

catchy
    Kinnear did more damage to the club than Pardew

Think ur poor opinion of Pardew has gone w little fat personally

• 43 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:00 AM

prime
    What’s so bad about us like? Haha. Seems they’d rather sell to us than Spurs

• 44 catchy in norway // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Ww

I think he made himself look stupid, but if you look at it this way , Ashley loves a gamble, it’s a well known fact, he paid joke 1 million in the hopes of saving 8-10 mill, I think it was worth the risk, I think Ashley thought Joke could have forced him out in only a few month, in the end not only did Asjley save millions on paying him off, he made millions.

I think it’s a no brainier

• 45 beermonkey // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:06 AM

catchy

ok no squad is complete but were along way from having a squad that can be rotated with options
    our fringe players are p155 poor

• 46 manxpie // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Catchy if they actually had a striker that could score they’d probably be giving the top 4 a run for there money tbh
    your hatred of him does seriously effect ya judgement lol

• 47 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:09 AM

catchy
    He didnt make that much because Kinnear screwed the pooch on the Cabaye deal costing him a higher return, also the amount of places dropped becuase he upset half the players, Cabaye could of been convinced to stay until summer by Pardew had Kinnear not came in like a drunk wrecking ball, potentially put off advertisers because of his unhinged attitude

Also if Ashley was so intent on getting shot of Pardew as u believe why then didnt he when Pards headbutted a player? Perfect chance with no pay out

• 48 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:11 AM

All of that is obviously possibly I have no idea for certain

• 49 optimistic prime // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:11 AM

WW

The story goes, their chairman thinks it’s to much of a risk to sell us Saido as if he hits the ground running WBA could replace NUFC in the bottom 3, fingers crossed we get the lad in then 🙂

• 50 manxpie // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:12 AM

I have a feeling we’ll get berahino and spurs will get perez on deadline day
    or more likely spurs will get perez and we “tried” to get berahino but didn’t have enough time

• 51 Malta Mag // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Seeing that Westbrom are playing hard ball on Berahino and Remy seems Doesn’t fancy a move back to us, why don’t we go for Falcao? I rate this guy. Forget his time at Man U and Chelsea, just watch his movement and touch because in the right environment he would thrive again and I for one think he would be a great acquisition.

• 52 manxpie // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Malta he’s on about 200,000 a week mate if not more!

• 53 manxpie // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:16 AM

The only thing kinnear did was oust lamearse so i suppose we can thank him for that

• 54 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:18 AM

prime
    Ah I see the logic in that but what if we offer them goal machine Rivi haha

• 55 WWSBRD // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Malta
    Falcao is done mate

• 56 Toon_Tom // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Malta – nice idea, but you say in the right environment he would thrive…

the environment at ManU and Chelski isn’t too bad really fella!

But yes, i see your thinking, it could work or it may not – thats what makes NUFC so bloody exciting (eeeeeek)

• 57 Bambams // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Whabi Kazri (or similar spelling) off to the mackems allegedly SSN

• 58 Rotonda heights // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:32 AM

manx

would like bera but not at the expense of perez.
    the 12m spent on townsend could arguably really have gone towards bera or similar as we need goals desperately.

• 59 jimmysmith // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:32 AM

If we go down, Ashley won’t sell anybody that doesn’t want to to go, and he will do what is required to come straight back up. That’s what he did last time, and there is the parachute payment and the incentive of all that cash to be shared around if you are in the EPL, and of course being out of it is of no benefit to SD. If we stay up, if we go down, either way, Ashley is in balls deep. He’s not going anywhere.

• 60 geordie157 // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM

So if not Remy then do we take a chance on Rhodes? I’m not sure on him, he’s not been starting as many games this season either.

I know we don’t need another midfielder now but in the summer I think narsingh should be brought, like Townsend can play both wings but he’s less greedy and is a better finishing, gives sissoko and townsend more competition for they’re places too, with aarons and thauvin also there we’d finally have competition in the wide positions.

• 61 manxpie // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Well that’s willo gone wish him well got far to much stick imo but frees up a defensive spot hopefully get at least 1 in

• 62 manxpie // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Rotonda I’ve had a feeling for a while perez will be gone I’d be gutted he’s the player with the most potential in the entire squad but I find it weird how spurs have gone totally quiet on him since it seemed they desperately wanted him in the summer
    and let’s face it we are due a kick in the teeth from ashley

• 63 nut meg // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Williamson move to Wolves confirmed…good luck to the lad.

• 64 RUNAWAY777 // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Sunderland sign 9mil play maker and we cant get cf and they hppe to get a full back in we are shit at get players in and its not because where in the bottom 3 cause they are under us and playets are going to them

• 65 toontaff2 // Jan 29, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Looks like the mackems and BFS have taken over from us in the French market! So far BFS has bought a cone and some Wasabi Crisps.

• 66 Jib // Jan 29, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Training yesterday

A neighbour of mine watched it yesterday
    He says he spotted Townsend in the distance and nearly phoned me cos he thought it was Jonas !

Ayoze breaking in his new scoring boots.

previous post: Why An 18 Day Winter Break Can Help Newcastle