The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Townsend – My Focus Is Only On Newcastle

7:46 am, Friday, January 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Our new signing Andros Townsend seems to be delighted to have signed for Newcastle and have a football career ahead of him again after he was frozen out at Tottenham since last October, after he’s been at Tottenham since he was just eight years old.

Andros seems determined to rebuild his career on Tyneside.

That could be very good for us and he is already in training at Newcastle saying that he has kept himself fit and is in the best shape of his life.

andros townsend number 255_2662343a

Andros Townsend – met with the press yesterday

We need to see Andros at or near his top form very soon and he will probably play on the opposite wing to Moussa Sissoko in the first team although likely to be on the bench for the first couple of games next week at Everton (Wednesday)  and at home to West Brom on the following Saturday.

This is some of what Andros said yesterday, when he held a press conference when he revealed he has taken the number 25 shirt at Newcastle:

“I’ve played a lot of Premier League games in the past.” “I’ve played six or seven times for the Under-21s. I’m ready and fully fit.”

“I’m delighted to finally be a Newcastle player.” “Talks have been going on for two or three weeks, and I just had to keep my focus.”

“With six days of the transfer window to go, they finally got the deal done.”

“I have got a point to prove now, haven’t I? I think my last full 90 minutes in the Premier League was just under two years ago, so I have not played consistently in a long time.”

“The last time I played nine or 10 Premier League games in a row, I was playing for Spurs, playing for England and kind of setting the world alight, so I can’t wait to get a run of games and consistency going and hopefully get back to that level I was at a few years ago.”

“I watched the game Newcastle played at White Hart Lane. At the time, Tottenham had been on an unbeaten run, but Newcastle were the better team, they had great quality.”

“The subs made the difference, which showed their strength in depth, and in the meantime they have added Shelvey and Saivet.”

“I have confidence we have the ability in the dressing room to stay up. I am surprised at their position, but it is a crazy season, anyone can beat anyone. Hopefully now the manager has brought in the players that he wants, we can climb the table.”

“Roy Hodgson has always had faith in my ability and included me in squads. Every time he has put me on the pitch, I have re-paid that faith.”

“I have always said I need to take baby steps. I have not played in the Premier League for a couple of months now.”

“I need to focus solely on Newcastle and getting back to playing Premier League football and helping Newcastle get out of the relegation zone and to Premier League survival.”

“If I can do that and score a few goals along the way, hopefully the England stuff will come off the back of that.”

Andros is a great signing for us if a little expensive, but we’d rather see Newcastle pay over the odds right now than balk at the price of good English players – which we have done far too many times in the past.

Certainly Andros is likely to become a big favorite with the crowd, because of his positive attitude and his willingness to sign for Newcastle, when a number of other clubs were in for him.

If he can produce some of his old form, that will certainly help us in what has become yet another fight for survival in the Premier League this season.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Press Conference · Recruitment

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 corkypants // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:49 AM

I swear to god someone at nufc read this blog i said yesterday why spend 7mill on baf gomis when you could get jordan rhodes for the same price.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Will Die,
    Yes. When Colo leaves we would have Mbemba, Lascelles and Dummet. Willo has gone, Saylor will be gone this summer when his contract expires. We need a minimum of 4 Premier league standard centre backs.

We need a vocal organiser in the back line who can keep the full backs in check, particularly if we end up with another overly attacking full back in Willems. That would leave us wide open on both flanks without a leader in the back line.

• 3 juan // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:51 AM

gomis. Id be gutted he’s garbage. No better than we’ve got

• 4 nut meg // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:51 AM

Ha ha,better make that a medic each….just to be on the safe side.

• 5 JamesToon // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Gibbs Cahill and Remy on loan till the summer would be a very successful window for us

• 6 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 29, 2016 at 7:59 AM

I can play better than Gomis and I can hardly bloody walk!

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:02 AM

nut meg,
    You must think the club is made of money, a medic each…. I guess we could make an exception, but it would mean no new centre back for a few years until we can afford one.

• 8 banjax // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Agree with James Toon
    Those three players would give us a great chance of moving up the table especially in the left full back slot where Gibbs is a good overlapping player to provide crosses. Let’s just hope and see. But come the Summer relegation or not, there has to be a wholesale clear out of players who just can’t hack it.

• 9 will die for the toon army // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:04 AM

Thanks Lilo

I dont think Cahill wld b a good signing but he cant come to NUFC.

• 10 will die for the toon army // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Willems for LB.

I believe dutch guys are loyal and respectful and keep their heads on their work.

• 11 JAMSHA // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:09 AM

Would Love Kieran Gibbs

• 12 corkypants // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:09 AM

Id try my hardest to get shawcross gibbs and cyrus christie from derby as back up to janmaat. Not all before the transfer window shuts in the summer aswell as long as we stay up.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:10 AM

Will Die,
    They can be as loyal and respectful as you like, but if we have two full backs and neither are great defensively then we are going to have problems.

I can’t see Chelsea letting Cahill go anywhere. Just won’t happen, not this window. When he does leave I doubt it will be for Newcastle.

• 14 sing in the corner // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:12 AM

I think the Gibbs move could happen. Wenger has been complimentary towards the toon n the media lately,he’ll want Gibbs to get some serious game time and we aren’t exactly in a position to threaten Arsenal in any way.
    I’m favouring loan deals now,at this point in a season. Transfer fees are inflated at the end of this window, and we’ve had our fingers burned signing crap players who we then can’t get rid of. At the end of the loan, pack them off and go again in the market once we’re safe and have clear minds.

• 15 sparky55 // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:13 AM

chelsea wont have any experienced back up if either of their current CB pairing get injured so Cahill’s going no where

• 16 sing in the corner // Jan 29, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Yeah I agree, Cahill would be a cracking acquisition but sadly it’s a huge long shot…

previous post: Newcastle Move In For Arsenal’s Kieran Gibbs