The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Were A Team Of Men – Robson Made Me Feel Like A Million Dollars

10:00 am, Saturday, January 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 108 Comments

Jermaine Jenas is making something of himself as a pundit and an honest  character these days – and he has given an incredible interview in the Mail today where he talks about signing on at Newcastle United as an 18 year-old from Nottingham Forest back in 2002.

It was a club he said he didn´t want to join because it was in the middle of nowhere, but he says everything changed when Bobby Robson called him on the phone as he was travelling by car up to Newcastle.

bobby robson and jermaine henas

Bobby Robson with Jermaine Jenas – after Jermaine had just signed

It´s one of the best interviews we have seen about Bobby Robson´s Newcastle back then in 2002 – and it shows just how fantastic Sir Bobby Robson was as a man-manager and a leader of men – and how he could get the very best out of any player he had.

Here it is.

Forest called me in, said that Newcastle´s  £5M bid had been accepted and that there was a car coming in half an hour.

On the way up I just kept saying I didn’t want to sign for this club miles away in the middle of nowhere.

Then Bobby Robson rang my phone. Watching Italia 90 was when I fell in love with football and to hear Bobby Robson ringing my phone to talk to me was incredible.

Newcastle was 100% right for me but it was all because of Bobby. He just understood me, knew what I needed. He just let me play, made me feel like a million dollars.

He would pull me before a game and say, “Give me everything you’ve got and then I don’t want to see you ‘til Thursday.”

So I would run my heart out for him and then head back to Nottingham and see my mum. They made me feel really special. Bobby was like a dad to me and I was lost when he was sacked.

My respect for Gary Speed went through the roof as soon as I played with him. I thought he was a grafter, hard to play against, but as soon as I played with him I realised the quality, the timing of the runs, the passing, his left foot, the quality of his strike, his command of midfield.”

He would protect me, too. Once at Everton I gave a penalty away in the last minute and afterwards Bobby launched in to me. “What the f*** did you do that for son?”

Gary was straight up. “He never f****** touched him! And did you see the header he won before that? Leave him alone!”

He had my back from the minute I walked in. And Bobby backed down. If Speedo said it then it must be true, simple as that.

It was a team of men, that one, and I don’t think I got close to that again in my career.”  We used to come off the pitch at Newcastle and there would be full-blown fights, shirts off and everything.

Incredible people like Craig Bellamy, Alan Shearer. I missed being around players like that. The elements they bring to a team are hard to quantify.

You think everyone will be like that and they are not. They were hard and honest. Priceless.

Those were the days when Newcastle were great!

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

108 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ian Toon // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Sounds to me that he’s after a coaching job now that he’s retired at the toon.

• 2 Ian Toon // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:06 AM

He hasn’t yet joined so he can’t retire-?

• 3 hibbitt // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM

we were never in for rhodes boro were the only club to bid…. 9m plus 2m if they go up ……if his goals get them up he’s worth every penny………..for the fans who don’t think he’s worth it but wanted Karanka as our manager rhodes is karanka choice will be interesting how this turns out !!…………………no mention of a goldfish bowl there jermaine

• 4 Ian Toon // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Seems he finally appreciated what he had at the toon. Flattered to deceive as a player. It was Lee – from darn scarf for me.

• 5 AncientC // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM

No prizes for guessing that Ed is alluding to Charlie Austin with this piece.

• 6 switch365 // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM

miles away in the middle of nowhere.

What a prick,

• 7 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Sounds like Jenas lived in a goldfish bowl before he came to NUFC

• 8 switch365 // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Said it last year, said it this year and I’ll say it again.

We’re after a lb with ability, quality, experience and someone who would fit in with the way we play.

There is one such player who is in a team pretty much guaranteed to go down this season. Get a bid put in for van Aarnholt, we could do far worse

• 9 Transfer Sage // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Jeans comes across really well on TV and radio, I think he has changed from the kid he was. Very interesting stories I bet from that time.

He’s right with what he says, it was a team of men, good pros, senior players to guide the younger lads, a top manager who had done it all and just knew people….you can have all the qualifications and tactical knowledge in the world but if you can’t make people want to play for and buy into what you do you will get no where near their best.

• 10 Malta Mag // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:29 AM

I really rated Jenas and remember his debut v the Mackems at their place. Assured and a lovely first touch. Should have captained the team for years but for his pathetic comments reference “the gold fish bowl” conspiracy.

• 11 Rotonda heights // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM

I know some people will say and justifiably so maybe that Ash is only finally splashing the cash as we look like missing out on the TV money.

However, if we had 100M to spend why on earth don’t we have a top D.O.F, manager and scout to invest it.

Currently we have a near octogenarian scout, a more often than not failed manager and a glorified teaboy, all in key positions.

If Ash is suddenly spending like there’s no tomorrow, why doesn’t he stop surrounding himself with no marks and get in top competent people.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM

i went on a coaching course and jenas was there. I had the same shirt (not the actual same shirt) he is wearing there which he signed and I still have it, even though i knew he was never going to stay long.

• 13 Ron Knee // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Competent people would presumably challenge his approach to owning a football club.

• 14 archaeomag // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Ed; on the subject of the good old days;

“Aston Villa midfielder Charles N’Zogbia, 29, is refusing to leave the club cheaply and is prepared to see out his £63,000-a-week contract, despite only making two substitute appearances this season.”
    (BBC -Mirror)
    \Who would have thought it of old Insomnia?

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:41 AM

hibbitt…last time I checked Boro was in the Championship and we were in the PL. Two very different things.

• 16 hibbitt // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM

they would also want to win something not just be happy staying in the peem

• 17 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Rotonda #11…you basically summed up everything that is wrong with this club in 3 lines!

• 18 hibbitt // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM

not sure what you mean by that…………by the way the next time you look they might be in the prem and we could be in the championship

• 19 Fostino // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Great interview ….dyer was on soccer sat too this morning and no surprise bobby was his best manager too. to think we shamefully sacked that legend. That must haunt freddy shepherd to this day.

• 20 Fostino // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM

When you have a team with payers like shearer..speed…and before them Lee Beardsley ferdinand etc etc etc you knew yiu had players with huge heart.

Now it seems we have had a team if pretenders for the last few years..far too nice and more worried about themselves and using the club as a stepping stone to better things.

I’ve been encouraged to see shelvey and townsand cone through the door. Bringing back a bit if heart. Still feel we need more proper leaders.

• 21 hibbitt // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:53 AM

any other club would have just moved him upstairs bot not us we even made an arse of that…….such a shame

• 22 Ron Knee // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:53 AM

If we do manage to survive this season, I bet it’ll be back to the same old sh*t next season.

• 23 Fostino // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Colo too nice. His time is surely up this summer. Wini has to be made captain nxt yr. We need fighters.

• 24 angelswithdirtyfaces // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Rotonda @ 11

• 25 croftus5678 // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:11 AM

hope we get doumbia !

i’m thinking if we did get gomis it would be a fairly bright move tbh !

we would have a replacement for mitrovic’s hold up play and strength for when mit is out and he links very well with shelvey.

but the main thing is we are weakening swansea even more so our chances of survival would be even higher than it normally would be.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM

WEll if we bring a decent LB in, Dummet can play at CB if need be and I guess that is the CB situation sorted, especially if Taylor keeps fit.

• 27 davetoon // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Jenas sums up what has always been wrong with Newcastle. Potential that is unrealised, inconsistent performances and weak leadership on field.

• 28 AncientC // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Gomis is all we need, he makes Cisse look like a master of beating the offside snare. They are around the same age and we wouldn’t get 7 million for Cisse.

• 29 Laurent Robert 32 // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:26 AM

I saw an interview with Freddy before and he said the board had already had a majority vote that Sir Bobby was to be released and Freddy wasn’t able to do anything other than carry out their group decision.

Who knows?

I didn’t want him to go, it was some of those players making a mockery of him it seemed. They didn’t seem to be responding to Bobby anymore. The bling brigade.

• 30 check the toastie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Jenas was a great young player, remember him bossing the Juventus midfield in a champions league game, Andy Griffin scored and we won 1-0, those were the days.

Always liked Jenas, one quote and he’s hammered, funny old life, press love causing chew and sheep enjoy hammering folk rather than supporting.

We must stay up, a smell of change is in the air from Fatty. Next year will be entertaining either way I suppose, this squad would win championship by 40 points, and the Fatman wouldn’t let them leave I reckon.

• 31 stuart no9 // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM

” Miles away from anywhere” oh yeah , as opposed to the gunslinging wild west of f”””ing Nottingham and its poxy village of a city centre . never did like the little cretin – now i know why, prick,

• 32 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:35 AM

The day Sir Bobby was sacked was the day we began to fall to where we find ourselves today. We’ve gone through countless managers, wasted hundreds and hundreds of millions of pound but have been in decline ever since.

One of the greatest and most genuine men to ever grace the game we love

• 33 martoon // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Why is it that some of you, particularly Rotonda and B&B, think that because you are over 55 you become incapable and senile? You may slow down physically but you still have your brain, wit and experience, that doesn’t leave you!

• 34 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM

BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources – Fulham forward Moussa Dembele having medical at Tottenham. More on #SSNHQ

That seems to out Sours out of the running for Berahinio, if he is going to leave WBA

• 35 stuart no9 // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:44 AM

jack butler ,……. add to that alan shearer retiring 10 years ago this year , and we have never replaced either of them . whwre have all the legends gone ??

• 36 WWSBRD // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM

If we have put a bid in to loan Doumbia it’s likely we are out of the Berah deal

Unless he kicks up a stink again though considering how much that tainted his image I doubt he will do

• 37 Jib // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:47 AM

He’s talking about his knowledge of the world when he was 18 and had never been outside of Notttingham for god’s sake.

• 38 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:47 AM

It seems that legends are a thing of the past for us mate, the likes of Shearer, Speed, Lee, Beardsley and late great Pav are long gone and we now have players using us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. It’s sad and confirmation of our decline as a club

• 39 belgrade fan // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:49 AM

jack b

he will be loaned back to Fulham

• 40 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:50 AM

I know mate, but seeings as we don’t know if the Doumbia link is accurate or not Spurs moving for someone else gives us another straw to clutch at. Agree we would not be in for both and wouldn’t be surprised if we get neither………….oh the joys of being a NUFC hogan eh!!!!

• 41 WWSBRD // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Haha well u never know I suppose meant to be trying for 3 after all Berahino and Doumbia would be very pacey

Reckon a few departures will be announced as well

• 42 Rotonda heights // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM

judging by carr’s recent signings i would say it probably does. I’m 54 and sometimes last week seems like another country

• 43 WWSBRD // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Ryder claims this LB from Madrid will be back up…a CL experienced and league winning Brazilian LB sat behind Paul Dummett…tears well up in my eyes thinking about it

• 44 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM

We need a clear out mate, as we are carrying so many players that are simply not good enough, our best 11 is more than suspect but after that we decline into well below average players.

We need pace,we’ve been desperate for it for years now as we are so slow on and off the ball and so easy to close down and for the opposition to reset their defensive lines against us while we are so easy to counter against. Doumbia AND Berahinio is the stuff of dreams but very, very, very unlikely

• 45 Fostino // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Jack butler

You just quoted one of my comments exactly from the bottom of this thread

• 46 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for the complement on Nottinghamshire youth.
    For your information the centre is as big as Newcastles,And I can safely say there are no gunslingers lol.
    That’s the opinion of a young 18 year old who knew of nothing else outside of Nottingham so why take it so personal

• 47 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM

hibbitt…there’s a huge difference between playing for promotion from the Championship and plying in the PL.

Boro is playing for that promotion and Rhodes is of course good enough for that. He is what they need right now. He is not what we need and clearly not what other PL teams need.

• 48 bettyswallocks // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I think the club needs to employ someone in an advisory capacity as a consultant on transfers and strategies to compete with other progressive PL clubs.

I would like to propose that Scandinavian guy who really seems to be an authority on all football matters. I can’t just think of his name at the moment , I suppose it’s my age. It comes to us all you know.

• 49 Sliema // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Bobby was riiiiight towards the end of his managerial career. Yes his sacking was atrocious, but it’s not like him staying on for 1 more year would have changed anything. His health was in decline already guys. And he was very old.

• 50 WWSBRD // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Oh aye no one is pushing for a place so no ones spot is under any pressure (maybe Lascelles is an exception but McClaren won’t consider dropping Colo)

• 51 WWSBRD // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:10 PM

CM has some competition now though which is great hopefully I won’t have to see Anita in a toon shirt again haha ship him out come summer with Tiote and bring in a hard nut CDM for me

• 52 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:10 PM

If Charnley knew what the hell he was doing we wouldn’t need an advisor, but we are run as a business that does a side line in football.

Even Ashley’s approach to football could work IF he had the right people in the right positions, just as it works for Southampton and countless other clubs

• 53 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:10 PM

A bad attitude does that come with age as well?

• 54 bettyswallocks // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Jib……. It’s really annoying me, I can’t think of that blokes name. Any chance you could research it and let me know. Ta.

• 55 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM

100% agree mate, the only competition for places at this club is in the que at the canteen

• 56 WWSBRD // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Haha bet that’s how Siem got that black eye! Probably tried to take the last roasty and Mitro took exception

• 57 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:20 PM

What about the competition for places in the treatment room?

• 58 cyprus // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Good words indeed. Our decline began with bellamys departure

• 59 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:22 PM

By “Treatment room” I take it you mean Steven Taylor’s lounge?

You’d have to be nuts to cross Mitro imo, I not only give that last roastie, but I’d fetch the plate to the table for the lad

• 60 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Haha, the Taylor suite.
    Many a player has been lost to it’s splendour.

• 61 WWSBRD // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Dunno mate he might throw a punch but I bet it’s easy to dodge…yup that’s a shot on his accuracy ain’t I a stinker

• 62 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Hahaha he’d probably hit the guy standing behind you or trip over his own feet.

I do like the lad as he does play with his heart and I hope he comes good as age is on his side but think he need someone to learn off but do we have anyone?

• 63 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Reports on news now saying Remy to Leicester for 11.5 million, good luck to the lad on getting into that side right now

• 64 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I’d run a mile if I’d upset mitro

• 65 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Get Alan Shearer in for a few weeks he’d shoe the forwards how to score

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:40 PM

A x 3 drink driver with multiple speeding fines would have cheaper insurance than Steven Taylor.

• 67 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:41 PM

He has to be on third party fire and theft by now

• 68 stuart no9 // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM

jazzyp — nottingham is at the centre of criminal violence and gunshoots in the country mate , look it up on google – i havnt just made that up , its rife ,
    also ive been to nottingham a few times , and once you get past a few streets full of pubs , it starts to thin out a bit and decent pubs are hard to find ,
    newcastle is my city and i love it , ok , i might slag it off sometimes . but im allowed to , as for arrogant kids slagging my home town off , is a no goer as far as i am concerned . its a bit like family – you argue , fight , slag each iother off , but if you here someone else slating them – thats different – you have a pop back , but as for nottingham , if you dont believe me – look it up .

• 69 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Off topic but with all the jokes that have been posted lately got me listening to a song I hadn’t heard for years.

Black Betty by Ram Jam

I’m sure you know the words lol

• 70 Bambams // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Looks increasingly likely it’s going to be Gomis from Swansea. (Twitter)
    Still find it odd if this was the case he can’t be much good. Swansea are in the thick of it with us, why sell to a relegation rival.
    We need a pacey striker not another target striker. Rather have Arma back

• 71 Jib // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Sorry Betty I was putting stuff in the loft.

Willi Railo ?

• 72 stuart no9 // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:52 PM

JAZZP i think you better read this mate . not exactly alice in wonderland stuff is it . lol

• 73 Jib // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:57 PM

sounds like pulling shyte out yer bum with pliers

• 74 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Go-miss would be the final nail in the coffin for Carr, he is not wanted by Swansea as he’s simply not good enough and at a time we are desperate for a goal scorer we make a move for him?

Why can’t we see the warning signs with players? Thauvin was complete rubbish for 18 months before we signed him, Go-miss has been average at best his entire career scoring in four game running but then goes twenty without score, and I’m starting to think that Carr and Charnley are getting back handlers from the agents of these players as there is no evidence to suggest that they are or will ever be good enough.

• 75 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Stuart no9
    I myself am from Nottinghamshire mate so could go gungho on Newcastle, But I have a bit more respect.
    He meant no malice or intended disrespect bud so stop trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill

• 76 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:01 PM

• 77 LGFUAD21 // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:13 PM

After thinking about the striker case I have a few thoughts

Remy, yes he’s proven but also injured. If chelsea think patr is a better option that must say something. Would he really be the safe bet. Or as safe as some think.

Bafe is not glamorous but he’s shown he can score when supplied. By would be supply him properly when mitro is struggling. Maybe he’d finish a few of the chances mitro has missed.

Doumbia untested in this league but can’t really be judged on Roma performance. Ed quoted 14 apps 2 goals but only 6 were starts. Offers something different to mitro. Similar in style to remy. Good dribbler, pace and good finisher but weak hold up.

Really I think it’s hard to call who the best option out of those would be.

• 78 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:16 PM

I quite like Nottingham

• 79 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM

NUFC 360 ?@NUFC360 · 16 mins16 minutes ago
    #NUFC agree terms for the arrival of Guilherme Siqueira on loan, according to CalcioMercato.

• 80 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Doumbia would be perfect for us as he has pace and is a natural finisher, his record with Young Boys and CSKA is exceptional with 111 goals in 160 games.

Go-miss is to similar to Mitro in physical stature and Cisses offside count would pale in comparison and it’s very telling that with Swansea struggling he’s not seen as being good enough and they want him off their books

• 81 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Its the easiest thing in the world to google some bad statistics about one another’s town’s or cities mate. But this is a football blog, Simple really.

My point still stands he was a young naïve lad, Probably dare say a young cocky 18 year old footballer who was use to having all his own way. I don’t believe for one minute he meant any harm against the Geordie nation lol !

• 82 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Newcastle have become the latest club to be linked with a move for Roma’s striker Seydou Doumbia.

SkySports have reported that Newcastle have enquired about the possibility of signing Roma striker Doumbia on loan.

Doumbia is unsettled at Roma after finding first team opportunities limited and is looking to move despite the appointment of Luciano Spalletti.

Fenerbahce are also interested in signing the 28-year-old according got Eurosport.

Doumbia spent the first half of the season on loan with CSKA Moscow, but the Russian club don’t want to make the move permanent.

The Yellow Canaries are on the lookout for a new striker following the departure of Moussa Sow over the summer. Fenerbahce have just two strikers in their squad.

Doumbia has five assists and 11 goals in 21 games for CSKA Moscow this season.

• 83 AncientC // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Gomis will be 31 for the start of the next campaign, and judging by his size/posture, he would be ready for the breakers yard after another 2 years.

£7 million + £70,000 a week, to get 2 and a half seasons out of the most offside & clumsy forward in the league.

He wouldn’t come for 2 and a half years either, he could want 70k over 4 years.

Basically £21.5 million to lease a donkey for a few years.

• 84 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:29 PM

wba said they would sell for 25m….we offer 18-20m apparently…they then say they dont want to sell as they are to close to relegation….would interesting to see what they do if we up the bid?….quite alot of games go on when it comes to transfers.

• 85 LGFUAD21 // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Fair point.

I think it’s a shame cisse is out as I reckon he’d be putting some of these chances away no problem.

He’s been so unlucky that he spent half a season on the wing. Then 1 and a half seasons injured or playing in a side that doesn’t create anything.

Now we’re creating chances but lacking efficiency and one of the most efficient strikers in Europe is injured.

• 86 LGFUAD21 // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM

It may be worth it to keep on west brim you know.

I don’t think they’re really at risk of relegation. And they aren’t even using Berahino.

Might as well cash in now. They’re just holding out for a bigger fee.

• 87 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:35 PM

ancient c
    looks like false economy to sign someone like gomis on a permanent transfer….they must be only thinking of loaning players of this type and buying younger players like berahino….waste of money otherwise

• 88 AncientC // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:37 PM

LGFUAD21 – There is nothing about Cisse on physioroom, so as far as I know he should be on his way back.

• 89 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM

thing is with cisse he has never really looked fit or sharp for a long time,he’s 30 now maybe the injuries have took there toll.

• 90 Tsunki // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Sounds like someone trying to strangle Jeff.

• 91 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Villa also wants Gomiss, hope he goes there

• 92 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM

I’m only twenty miles from Swansea, I’ll nip down now and drive him to Villa myself, I’ll even put the AC on and but him an ice cream on the way, anything for him not to come to us

• 93 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM

cisse’s injury is a strange one…..he gets injured,they say he’s out for 10 weeks,2 weeks later he’s made a miraculous recovery and will be on the bench for a game….yet is’nt there….then theres reports he’s out as he needs minor surgery!……granted papers cant be trusted to be accurate, but theres a lot reports that dont make a lot of sense……does anyone know exactly whats going on with him?…..coz the transfers we are after would imply that hes not ready to play or even lookin like he will be ready soon.

• 94 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:50 PM

yesterday villa were mentioned to be after doumbia as well as us,..wonder if them going for gomis is because doumbia has told them he favours a move to us and not them….??

• 95 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:52 PM

L’Equipe have reported on Saturday that Newcastle have offered Gomis a two-and-a-half-year deal at St James’ Park – the same length he has left on his current Swansea deal.

The 30-year-old striker, who has scored six goals in 23 games for the Swans this season, is believed to be mulling over the deal after the club’s agreed a £7million fee.

New Swansea boss Francesco Guidolin is understood to have sanctioned the departure of Gomis, who scored in the first four games of the season.

His form has tailed off considerably since then though and the Frenchman has reportedly been close to leaving Swansea twice this month.

Gomis is just one of a handful of striker targets identified by Newcastle, but Steve McClaren appears to have plumped for Gomis, who is believed to be wanting a three-and-a-half-year contract.

That may well be the stumbling block with the Magpies unwilling to offer such length of contract to a player of Gomis’ age.
    Please please don’t let this be true.
    Out of all the players bought in to Nufc this transfer window, this is the only one that stinks of Desperation.

• 96 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Doumbia being offered massive money to move to China, getting him will be difficult by the looks of things

• 97 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Let’s hope so mate

• 98 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:56 PM

newcastle never normally buy older players… so i have my doubts about this…not saying it wont happen,but would be a major change in transfer policy if they do.

• 99 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Pretty much all the strikers we’ve been linked to this window have a bit of pace get behind defences and score goals.

Then there’s Gomiss, underwhelming to say the least.

• 100 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 1:59 PM

read last night doumbia would welcome a move to us….interesting couple of days ahead by the look of things… day might be worth watching, they are normally all done and dusted by now in other the windows!

• 101 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Stop pissing about and just get a striker in

• 102 Rotonda heights // Jan 30, 2016 at 2:04 PM

doumbia has been offered 6m a year by a chinese club!!

• 103 welshgeordie9 // Jan 30, 2016 at 2:05 PM

So which forward are we getting because it’s seems like we after all three.

Enquired about Doumbia, in talks with gomis and according to reports we might leave it late to make a bid for the west brom player, speaking of which if the club are thinking to get Doumbia in first just in a case we don’t get the west brom player what happens if we make a bid for him and it gets accepted.

We would have.

West Brom player
    And if agreed gomis

So which are we actually after.

• 104 jazzyp // Jan 30, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Reports that Siqueira WILL NOT be signing for #NUFC – he will go to Valencia for first team football!

Have we missed out on another target ?? I thought he was on his way for a medical

• 105 reilly // Jan 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Siqueira not coming off to valencia for 1st team footy,he was told he would be back up to dummet.

• 106 Tsunki // Jan 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM

To be honest I haven’t been on much during Transfer Fiasco as it’s like trying to swat flies on a rubbish dump, but I see the AA are still holding meetings in honour of their portly patron.

• 107 SPRINGY // Jan 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM

if thats the case then maybe all this talk this morning about gomis has some truth if he’s decided to go to china

• 108 stuart no9 // Jan 30, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Jazzy — I never intended to criticise Notts from the start mate , but sometimes I just think if you’ve nothing good to say about somebody or somewhere then don’t say anything at all . I always find that the best option unless something triggers a reaction , I keep my mouth shut . Apologies if I offended your city , it was just a silly reaction

previous post: Who Is Guilherme Siqueira – 8 Facts On The Player

next post: Are Newcastle Moving For Orban – Is Siqueira Deal In Trouble?