The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Report – Newcastle Have Won Race To Sign Ivory Coast Striker

10:08 pm, Saturday, January 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 156 Comments

There are reports in France  saying that Newcastle have won the race to sign Roma striker Seydou Doumbia on loan, who has been a prolific striker in Russia and Switzerland during his career.

The news yesterday evening was that Newcastle were in advanced talks with the striker on a loan deal for the rest of the season with both Aston Villa and Marseille also said to be interested.

Seydou Doumbia 123

28 year-old Roma striker Seydou Doumbia

Le10 Sport are reporting that Marseille have lost out on Doumbia and Newcastle have managed to persuade the former Young Boys striker to sign for Newcastle until the summer.

We have been linked  many times in the past with the 28 year-old going back to the summer of 2013, when he was still at CSKA Moscow and last summer we were supposed to be fighting it out with Everton to sign the striker.

Doumbia only moved to Roma from the Moscow club a year ago for a fee of around €15M (£11M), but he didn’t do well with only two goals in 13 appearances, although he only started 6 games.

He is currently back on loan at CSKA Moscow and he has scored 11 goals in 21 appearances for them this season.

The 33 times capped Ivory Coast International has been a prolific goalscorer in his career.

While he was at BSC Young Boys he scored 57 goals in 78 appearances for them over two seasons – and at CSKA Moscow he has 95 goals in 150 total appearances for them including this season.

Seydou is more like the natural goalscorer Newcastle need this season, but because he has never played in the Premier League he will still be a risk.

He is a much better proposition than Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis, who we are also being linked with tonight – although a twist in the Le10 Sport report is that Newcastle plan to sign both Doumbia and Gomis.

What do you think?

156 responses so far ↓

• 1 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:09 PM

I hope this is true

• 2 Munster Mag // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Me too! If not, can we bring nack our lad from Coventry for the few months?

• 3 Ian Toon // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM

He’s injured.

• 4 OneAlanShearer // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM

I read something about the fans getting on doumbia the minute he arrived and it didn’t go well from there. Maybe he just needs a different club. Hopefully he retains his pace and scoring instinct. I’d risk him and gomis if we can’t get berahino.

• 5 banjax // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM

• 6 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Exactly what we need. Pace, power and one hell of a finisher

• 7 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Ed Be careful what you report or are you just responding to what the Blog has told you? Is he in Newcastle ? Has anybody seen him? Is he having a medical?Has he actually signed – If the answer is NO, then we haven’t won the race yet.

• 8 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:18 PM

West Lancs

It’s being reported in France that we are the only club willing to pay his wages while on loan and that the EPL is his preferred place to play, the report went as far as to say only exceptional circumstances would see this deal fall through

• 9 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Perhaps all this talk about Doumbia & Gomis is just a smokescreen to deflect interest from the mega bid we are going to put in for Berahino on Sunday/Monday.

• 10 Belfast // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Hard paper sound.

• 11 Belfast // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:21 PM

• 12 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:22 PM

I don’t get what’s happening with Berahino, as West Brom are refusing to sell a p,Ayer they are not using themselves who,e being offered massive money for the lad.mits a dangerous game as he only has 18 months on his contract and his value will fall by the day.

I know he played today but they have a lad who doesn’t want to be there and a lad they are not getting anything out of themselves

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:23 PM

This is doing my swede in, which pissing forward are we actually after, i bet after all this nothing will happen on Monday.

• 14 ronaldo aarons // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Good player but really feel he is not suited to this league. If he comes I really hope I’m wrong. If we’re gambling on an African striker I would have went for oumar niasse if I’m honest. Quite similar to doumbia actually but offers a great work ethic akin to Suarez.

• 15 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:23 PM

If we get Doumbia we would potentially have a rapid front 4 of Townsend , Doumbia , Sissoko and Wijnaldum with Shelvey able to find them with balls over the top teams will not be able to play a high line against us which should give us space to play our football !!

• 16 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Jack. Word of warning – when have we ever been able to rely on the French? Having said that my preference is definitely Doumbia and/or Berahino but I’m sure a loan deal for Doumbia with 1st option to buy in Summer will be attractive to our man with the cash. Just hope he is better than the lad we took from Shaktar who never played but also had European pedigree.

• 17 ronaldo aarons // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:25 PM

I would love berahino to sign, I’m a big fan of his.

• 18 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM

RA – Looks like he’s off to the Toffeemen!
    Everton are poised to sign the striker Oumar Niasse from Lokomotiv Moscow after having an offer of £13.5m accepted by the Russian club.

Niasse is currently in the north-west of England and he and Everton will now attempt to agree personal terms.

• 19 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM

West Lancs

The French sports press are a bit more reliable than their British counterparts and they are reporting as Marseille were in for him but look to have lost out

• 20 geordie157 // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:28 PM

I don’t really want Gomis, seems a strange signing to make. Doumbia makes more sense but we still need a left back too.

Decent window so far for us, just hope they don’t mess up in the next few days!

• 21 expatmag // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Your fingers just as bug as your mouth…….ooopps……lol

• 22 expatmag // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:29 PM

• 23 banjax // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Don’t understand the reason West Brom won’t sell Berahino to Newcastle is because we are in similar positions in the table is a stupid reason. Just imagine what Pulis could do and buy with the £20m for Berahino. Jeremy Peace is doing his club and his manager no favours by denying such a windfall to West Broms own ambitions !

• 24 ronaldo aarons // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:33 PM

West lancs

Oh I’ve missed that then. I’m actually gutted that Everton are getting him, I don’t like Everton and now they’re getting someone who I feel is a good player made for this league.

• 25 expatmag // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Would you sell Wijnaldum to Swansea this window?

Guess not

• 26 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:33 PM

I can’t understand why Charnley’s and Carr’s choice of manager is not a major draw for these transfer targets.

• 27 Jib // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:33 PM

(Jib // Jan 28, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    Seydou Doumbia
    Roma striker
    Swansea and Sunderland have been linked in the past.
    There is something going on between NUFC Marseilles and Roma involving the above and Thauvin.
    SD was going to Turkey from Roma but thats on hold .
    He’s 28 but he knows where the goal is !!!!)

Posted this 2 days ago !
    Strange the transfer confirmed hours after Thauvin lands in Marseilles,

• 28 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Hope you are right Jack but suffered so many disappoints at this time over the years I never accept anything till it’s sign, sealed & delivered.
    Get him signed tomorrow together with a suitable left back & then I won’t mind watching David Craig stand outside SJP all Monday night in the pouring rain waiting for more NUFC signings. Just hope by then he will be reporting on further departures : Marvaux, Obertan Riviere & possibly Gouffran

• 29 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:40 PM

RA The worst scenario is he could be playing AGAINST us next match
    Banjax -WBA may just sell & take a chance that they are safe just like we did with Carroll when we sold for £35M to Liverpool

• 30 JackButler // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:41 PM

West Lanc

Fingers crossed mate and you are right we need a massive clear out as we are carrying way to many p,ayers that are no where near good enough. We now have around 25 millions worth on loan back in France and god knows how much being paid out to players who are a million miles away from being good enough.

Hope said Craig gets soaked to the skin

• 31 Belfast // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Expat my phone likes to put words in my mouth and sometimes I don’t notice.

So yer not right. 🙂

• 32 expatmag // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Aahhh bollox…….thought I had you sucked in there. Been having trouble getting a reaction from the Hylton Castle kid (Mr.Tuff) recently so I had to pick on someone else……

• 33 lesh // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:48 PM

The last few days oc the window have witnessed a master class in panic from Charnley.

He’s ballsed the window up with the assistance of Carr, got the squad’s priorities all wrong and is now running around like a scalded cat trying to put things right.

Uc the useless clown had taken less notice of Carr and listened to McClaren’s (I’m sure he’ll have voiced his opinions on the then squad), we might have bought the players we need in the right order and between summer and now, we might have had more points in the board.

I really do hope that Ashley’s realised that there’s more millions to be gained for the Club by being successful in the Prem rather than making a few quid speculating on the profitable players.

We can but hope.

• 34 Premiership Manager // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM

He’ll be a good signing as he gives multiple options. Gomis shouldn’t even be considered he’s simply not good enough, lacks mobility and pace and would be a waste of money.

Although Mitro is yet to prove himself everything is there but confidence. My worry is Perez, he’s one of the best players on our books, has bags of potential yet he will have to sit it out.

I’d have rather seen Mirto dropped, Wijnaldum play as CF with Perez in the hole being fed by Townsend, Sissoko and Shelvey with Colback protecting the back four.

Saviet isn’t good enough and will need several months to get up to speed with the EPL and Shelvey needs to sort out his consistency and work rate. He’s a superb passer but the Swansey fans were over the moon to get 12M for him as he thought he was too good for the bench and wouldn’t work 90 minutes for the team often walking if the ball wasn’t at his feet just like the last match.

Hopefully we can get Doumbia over the line tomorrow and then get a LB in.

Personally the one player I would want would be Cahill. He be a good captain shore up the defense and be a natural replacement for Colo. he’s cost us but he would be worth the money

• 35 toon kk // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM

West brom are going through a window like we have many times with MA and the Pardew era,
    As Pards used to say “it’s a successful transfer window if you can hold on to your best player’s”
    So there fans will be hoping Berahino doesn’t leave.
    Will he come here? I doubt it.

• 36 Ian Toon // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Belfast – By Jove you’ve got it!

• 37 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:50 PM

This window is looking like another dis- ars- ter darlings.

• 38 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Shades of Andros Towsend :

Saido Berahino has hired himself a personal trainer to get fit for any last-minute winter transfer window move, writes Neil Moxley in the Sunday People.

• 39 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:56 PM

I hope we sign Berahino or I’ve lost a fiver lol

• 40 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:58 PM

There was a feature on Soccer Saturday showing a private one on one striker coaching session Berihinio was doing.
    Think it was at St George’s park, off his own back. I was quite impressed.
    Can’t rember the name of the coach though.

• 41 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 10:59 PM

PM Yeah Cahill would be good even if only on loan to end of season. At least he’d get more playing time in preparation for Euros here. But don’t think Chelski will allow him to go & wages would be expensive.
    I hear what you are saying about Perez but in all honesty he was bought for the future & due to injuries has had to be plunged into the fray almost full time. The experience he has received should prove invaluable & he will play a part for the rest of the season

• 42 Ian Toon // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Blackley ” Top of their game” is moving the goalposts. SAF won the PL over 70. Then retired. A monumental achievement because the squad was questionable. Most of the professions, private co’s , government- that invests in experience Heseltine, you’ve discounted areas of specialisation in the medical field and consultants etc.
    You need to think of London and SE were many private co’s are owned and run by people well into their 70’s. Ageism law in Uk means that as in Us people, if they so wish can work on well beyond. 70’s. University lecturers undertaking consultancy and research are often in their80’s. Manual workers retire earlier from those using brain rather than brawn.

• 43 reilly // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Reports in France claim that Marseille enquired about the possibility of loaning Yoan Gouffran but Newcastle refused to let him leave.

• 44 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:02 PM

OP – I think he will be the big money sale on Monday but whether it will be to the Toon remains to be seen. In all probability Spurs.

• 45 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:05 PM

I’ve had a feeling for a few days he’d be off, hope it’s to us.

• 46 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Reilly, I’ll give him free to Marseilles, I’ll take him on the back of my pushbike

• 47 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Reilly, If Marseille want to weaken their squad along with Cabella & Thauvin we have a shedload of other failed Frenchmen they can have e.g.Obertan, Riviere, MARVAUX (£60K pw may want to look at his wages) & Gouffy. Take it they have no Champions League aspirations for next season.

• 48 Nufc-83 // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM

My preference would be berahino, doumbia then Gomis who are all better than mitro currently so happy with either.

Not sure why people saying gomis not quick he is very mobile for a big powerful player and much quicker than any striker we have at the moment.

• 49 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Anyway we shouldn’t be loaning out any more of these useless French wazzocks we should be giving them away Free to reduce the wage bill. They are never now going to get into the 25 man squad if we do manage to bring in 5 new recruits this window

• 50 West Lancs Geordie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:16 PM

If Marseilles had been a British Club we may have reported them to Trading Standards for selling Thauvin to us as sub standard goods at a grossly inflated price.

• 51 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Quite often old folk hang on as long as they possibly can until they finally have to face the inevitable. SAF would’ve continued but he knew the time had come. Players do the same. Their powers wane.

Physical and mental faculties desert you as you get older. No amount of legal protection can trump a scientific, biological fact.

You cite David Pleat. You support my argument. How can’t you see that? Howay man. I gave you the scientific findings. I didn’t write it. I didn’t re-write it. And I didn’t misinterpret it, as Angels would have believe.

Angels, who I think it was, who came up with Winston Churchill as an example. He would even dispute the words of the historian, Roy Jenkins, was it? Again, not my words.

Angels disputes scientists snd historians but accuses me of arguing black is white.

• 52 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM

That Colchester lad knows how to put his head in, ouch

• 53 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Just hope we can manage to stay up this season to see if lessons have really been learned in the summer especially with about 7 players out of contract so we will need another big window again!

• 54 toonicle // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Shteve seems to fancy Gouffran for one reason or another. He does like to run around an awful lot, too bad it’s 90% pointless running with nothing to show for it. Too bad he never gets a shot up front, he looked ok in that one preseason game up top.

• 55 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Keith Downie says we are after two strikers and a left back

• 56 Tsunki // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:28 PM

It’s not like Blackley to nail his bag to a completely redundant and highly irrelevant article, is it? 🙂 When he doesn’t understand the subject he just gnats away at some tiny useless detail like the world revolves around it. In his head ofc.

Confusing the measured loss of mental capability with a loss in acquired wisdom but doesn’t get the part where he’s just being crass. Big Sigh.

• 57 Tsunki // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:28 PM

I’ll come back tomorrow maybe and see your measured response. Or not.

• 58 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:33 PM

When your interlocutor dismisses the words of scientists and historians, cites nothing themselves but simply resorts in a tizz to accusing you of arguing black is white, you know they’ve lost the argument.

• 59 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Hello Tsunki. You’re not still trying to resurrect your reputation after your last embarrassing episode are you? I note you do nothing but play the man – again. It wins no arguments. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten.

• 60 optimistic prime // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Serial blog killer

• 61 reilly // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:41 PM

blackley your argument is flawed,you know everyone knows it.
    there are many 70+ people out there at the top of there game in many fields.

• 62 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:43 PM

Constant reader of this blog. Blackley I often agree with your views regarding our club and it’s manner of operations, and I to think Carr is done here. However your argument here is utterly ridiculous, you’ve got to just let this one go. I get the faux intellectual debates here, we are a far more intellectually driven blog than any other I have ever come across, but sometimes it spills into the stupid. This is a prime example.

Besides, Jib and Ian Toon getting throughly rinsed out is a far more entertaining topic.

• 63 reilly // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:45 PM

i brought up warren buffett and you brushed it away,saying he made his money before that age.
    the man is the CEO of 1 of the biggest hedge funds in the world,if he was incapable of doing his job because hes old do you honestly think he would still be CEO.

• 64 Mashley u Batfastard & lambiarse u Cupid stunt // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Hope we don’t sign batmans gonads from swansea he’s hopeless

• 65 manxpie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:47 PM

not all old people are defunct the end

• 66 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:47 PM

I’ve cited science. When the first person gave Churchill as an example, I cited a historian.

You’re using the lazy argument of assertion. In short, you simply say, I’m right and you’re wrong and you know you’re wrong. Well thanks for providing such fine illumination.

• 67 reilly // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:50 PM

blackley you always do this you will argue for days even tho your wrong,be a fkin man will you,its the blog that suffer,learn by past mistakes.
    right im done early shift.

• 68 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:50 PM

If IanToon and Jib getting rinsed is what you enjoy, I’m sure that will long continue and nothing I say will prevent you missing out on that.

• 69 expatmag // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Truth is that you ARE usually wrong

• 70 why oh why // Jan 30, 2016 at 11:54 PM

According to tomorrow s papers we are going to bid £24m for berahino

• 71 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:00 AM

It is always enjoyable reading pompous individuals get put down, no doubt about that.

I bring your argument up because in this case, it is entirely redundant. This is no slight on your overall contribution it must be noted, I think the basis of what you say is perfectly reasonable. However the execution in its justification, in this case, is clutching at straws.

Your argument in itself is perfectly sound, but applying it to this context, when there are so many variables, renders it pointless. Yes older people lose their capabilities, but not at the same rate nor in the same ways. In any case, there are no set parameters on which to base any evidence on in this particular argument.

• 72 optimistic prime // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:00 AM

We’d get Berihinio for 24m but I doubt we’d pay that. 20m tops and I’m being optimistic

• 73 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:01 AM

He he…..succinctly put, Jonjo……lol

• 74 optimistic prime // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:02 AM

How olds Mr Burns off the Simpsons?
    He’s canny successful

• 75 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:03 AM

Can’t see Berahino happening at this stage, not after today’s performance. I don’t think even our foolish board would put all our eggs in that one basket and not leaving the time allowed to push for a waster like Gomis.

• 76 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:04 AM

There are so many stories linking us, Spurs, Chelsea etc with him, I fully expect someone coming in with a late bid on monday who hasnt been linked before…… Man Utd

• 77 martoon // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:05 AM

As I started this debate this morning I’ll try and end it. As you get older you may slow down a bit. However you don’t lose your knowledge and experience. I was objecting to the likes of B&B saying Carr had alzheimers just because he is 70.

• 78 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:05 AM

that david attenborough fella has totally lost it wish he had given it up when he was 70 that was 20 years ago!

• 79 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Whats wrong with David Attenbrough?

He might be getting on but what a fantastic contribution he has given to nature and the animal kingdom over the years.

You are NEVER too old to learn.

• 80 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:15 AM

Jib -you mentioned something about Marseille earlier on. Is Marseille in Africa or is it the one in France.

• 81 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:17 AM

i was being sarcastic expat to the stupid notion that people who are old lose there touch

• 82 stuart no9 // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:17 AM

sunday and still no striker lads , Mmmm its getting close to another disaster on goal scoring front . only we could need a striker so bad and yet seem to miss out on everyone we go for . its like ashley has a bit of a thing about buying a goal scorer for some baazare reason.

• 83 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:19 AM

Who is David Attenbrough -never heard of him before.

• 84 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:20 AM

Mister T
    He plays left back for Barnsley lol

• 85 firebug666 // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:20 AM

Is he a LB?

• 86 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:21 AM

Expat – you are correct – you are never too old to learn.
    You need to learn how to spell.

• 87 stuart no9 // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:21 AM

dont care how old david attenbrough is , if we can get him over theline by monday and can net a few , get him signed up , ive seen worse in a black and white top

• 88 banjax // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:23 AM

Seem to remember we sold Cabaye and Debuchy for the dosh. Jog your memory ?

• 89 switch365 // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:26 AM

If he’s a Roma player and has been on loan with CSKA Moscow, does that not make him ineligible to play for another club until next season?

• 90 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:27 AM

No he can play for another team as he never played competitively for Roma

• 91 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:28 AM

expat I see you are doing the rounds trying to annoy fellow posters.
    You’ve been on the Babychams and pink gins I’d wager.

• 92 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:28 AM

Geremi @ 75
    Carr has been given a very long and lucrative contract that takes him well into his seventies. This is a time of life when most people have long since retired, their best years behind them.

I don’t blame the old man for enjoying the best pay days of his life and hanging on in there. He must think he’s won the lottery. But his decisions are those of an old man IMO. Other clubs with far less spending power leave us trailing; in the relegation zone in fact. Some are leaving the big boys trailing because they have clearly got their recruitment right. How did Graham Carr do when he was a manager, selecting players and moulding a winning team? Was he a success?

Ask why David Pleat (not my example) or Winston Churchill (not my example) had their best years before reaching 70? Why didn’t they get better, more virile, more potent, more dynamic?

Why aren’t all the top jobs filled by willing folk in their seventies? Why do we call for them to have their driving competency re-tested or take away their licences?

Why does science bear it out. Why is dementia so prevalent? Once we get to that age we could well drop down dead at any minute because our bodies and brains are deteriorating and have been for years. It’s a simple scientific, biological fact that applies to Graham Carr just as much as the rest of us. He’s not some special case. Sir Alex (not my example) had to make way for a much younger man even though he’d have, I’m sure, carried on if he felt he had it in him.

• 93 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Too early in the day for me, mate. However, a nice cup of PG tips goes down well.

I heard you had been doing the rounds of the pubs in Hylton Castle tonight with your sunderland top on and you gave already got their new midfielders name on the back.

I bet they were impressed

• 94 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:34 AM

expat are you in OZ?

• 95 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Get thee behind me, beelzebul. Thou art the devil incarnate…….lol

• 96 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:39 AM

Take a chance

Yes mate. I am.

That is why I am typing upside down…….lol

• 97 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:40 AM

Hmmmm……applies to a few on here

• 98 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:44 AM

Your memory goes as you get older. It’s just a fact. The article I cited goes on:

“The results of the tests show that cognitive scores declined in all categories except vocabulary – and there was a faster decline in older people.

The study found a 9.6% decline in mental reasoning in men aged 65-70 and a 7.4% decline for women of the same age.

For men and women aged 45-49, there was a 3.6% decline.”

One in six people aged 80 or over have dementia.

I’m not making this stuff up. It’s widespread. So is death in your seventies and eighties. There’s a gradual decline in body, mind, memory. That may come as a shock to some of you oldies who feel invincible.

Now was I going up the stairs or coming down?

• 99 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 12:54 AM

blackley jesus christ no one is arguing the facts of life
    just that there isn’t a set age or that you should judge people solely on there age
    i.e ageist

• 100 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:01 AM

lol I thought you may be, with you saying it was too early for a bevvy, mind you I thought there was no early for an ozzie lol

• 101 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:21 AM

Take a chancel

Fortunately, I am not like the Hylton Castle kid alias Mr. TUFF, where I need to rely on half pint lemonade shandies to get dutch courage.

On a nice warm sunny morning here near Melbourne, there is nothing better than a nice pot of tea with home made blueberry slices, whilst sitting on the veranda looking out over a shimmering sea.

Supose I better rake the Border Collies for a walk on the beach now

• 102 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:23 AM

Why can’t one judge someone on their performance and suggest that their poor performance may well be down to their age and quite possibly alzheimers or dementia? It seems a perfectly reasonable position to take given that science shows that mental faculties and functioning skills deteriorate as you get older and alzheimers is extremely widespread, even in people younger than Mr Carr.

At no point am I claiming to be the old man’s physician and making a diagnosis. I’m simply saying he appears to be incompetent and if he ever was competent then ageing would offer an explanation for his deterioration. What’s wrong with that? Why get upset? I simply put it out there. Let others decide.

Please use Google as I have done. I can’t find anything to support the opposite but would be posting here for the rest of my days if I offered all the favourable evidence that’s jumping at me.

• 103 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:28 AM

Give it a bloody rest will you.

Your are boring the pants off everybody. Noone is interested.

• 104 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:29 AM

If you are going to day “Jesus Christ”, please explain where I have judged someone solely on their age? I can only presume you have made that up because you don’t have an argument or any evidence to support your original stance.

• 105 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:31 AM

so has every other much much younger scouts that has made a few mistakes got mental illness then?

or are they just mistakes?

its ridiculous blackley and i’m pretty sure if Carr’s health was of concern then that would be noticed by the people who see and speak to him every day

• 106 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:31 AM

Calm down. Have s blueberry slice.

I note you ignored my post when I proved you are a liar.

• 107 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:36 AM

You miss the point. It’s perfectly normal for people’s powers to wane as they get older. Nothing abnormal about it. It’s when they start dropping regular ricks that people start asking questions. You might have noticed many fans, not just on this blog, are asking questions and calling for him to be sacked.

• 108 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:37 AM

Expat I’ve never raked a border collie lol

• 109 EssexJordy // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:38 AM

Doumbia would be an excellent signing he’ll fit in perfectly.

• 110 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:39 AM

You proved nothing.

I usually ignore you because you are a boring arrogant tosser.

So……how many more lies are you going to tell about this fabled season ticket of yours?

• 111 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:41 AM

Take a chancel

And thank god for that too……lol

• 112 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:43 AM

Blackley you and I may have scorn for liars but Expat cannot help it – in Pennywell you are not judged because you are a liar but more likely praised if your lies worked in a scam, got you off a charge, tricking the Social.
    He has continued his deceipt since being transported to the Colonies – with tales of crocodile and great white shark hunting.

• 113 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:44 AM

its not because he’s old and demented tho blackley
    its because of some poor picks of players!

its the remit that needs changing anyways then we could properly judge him

• 114 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:46 AM

plus blackley was he not suffering from dementia when he put forward wiji or mbemba? or did he just have a bout of it when he picked cabella and thauvin?

• 115 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:47 AM

In answer to your question on younger scouts, they can make mistakes for different reasons. Inexperience for example. You’ve just got to ask yourself why our most experienced politicians are either retired or shunted off to the lords. Why don’t they run the country with all their wisdom and wealth of experience? Is the phrase “they’re past it” a figment of my imagination? Why do people say that? Are they simply ageist? Why would snyone simply look at a number on write someone off on that basis alone? But then why would someone ignore science and prefer am emotional judgment that we should never bring age into it when discussing an old person’s performance?

Have you ever said a player, Arma for example, is too young? Are you ageist if you have?

• 116 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:49 AM

Urban Dictionary definition of rake:-
    When one preforming oral sex on a male bites down and pulls away”.
    I can confirm the both expats Border Collies are males..

• 117 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:50 AM

after the description you gave I want to visit oz more than ever now:)

• 118 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:51 AM

I’ve said I’m linking age to performance? His scouting performance has been poor IMO. Overall. Not this player or that player but overall.

Do you never link age to performance when commenting on players? Are you telling us that?

• 119 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:51 AM

forget it blackley if you cant see the difference in what you are saying to what most of us are saying then god help us!

• 120 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:53 AM

You ought to bin your crappy joke book if you follow your own advice.

• 121 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:54 AM

Aaahhhh…….but I have photographic evidence of diving with GWSs and a fairly healthy $2000 debit on my bank balance too.

Fortunately, there was a cage between me and these remarkable creatures.

As for crocodiles, I gave seen them in the wild up the Daintree in far north tropical queensland but they are not an animal I would like to get too close to, in or out of a cage.

I see that half pint of lemonade shandy has gone to your head. You evidently forgot about moving from Pennywell to Hylton Castle all those years ago.

• 122 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:56 AM

its a totally different job ffs!!!
    a 70 year old athlete is gonna be alot worse than an 18 year old one!!!

a person watching a player and his attributes wether hes 18 or 160 isn’t the same thing at all

• 123 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:57 AM

Worth the trip mate. Great country and a great lifestyle. We are not called the lucky country for nothing.

• 124 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:00 AM

You will end up as frustrated as every other blogger who gas indulged in a discussion with this tosser mate.

Do yourself a favour mate and leave the prick to his own viewpoints because he is incapable of seeing others.

• 125 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:01 AM

Manx @ 124
    I can see perfectly well that you have no answer. I’m linking age to performance. You called me ageist for doing so. You’re avoiding my question. Tell us if you never do link age with performance when commenting on players? Do you accept that its reasonable for fans to look at his performances and conclude he’s not ready because of his stage of development. He’s not yet at the peak of his powers or even ready to play in the EPL because he’s too young. Is that ageist? It is by your logic but you are desperately stating there’s a difference.

• 126 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:02 AM

and my point is every scout in the world of football doesn’t have a 100% record is that because they are old or demented?
    no but because they can’t be perfect
    his signings imo have been ok under the ridiculous set up we have

• 127 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:08 AM

We’re talking of physical and mental powers at both ends of the spectrum. You can be too young or too old for anything. Performances will highlight this. Are you suggesting that a man in his seventies just gets better and better at managing or scouting or whatever until the day he dies. That performance doesn’t fall off with age or in the case of a young player improve with age?

• 128 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:08 AM

i’ve already said why athletes are judged differently on age ffs! can you not see why?
    carr isn’t an athlete end of argument

• 129 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:10 AM

expat lol yeah i will do now, frustrated isn’t the word tho

• 130 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:12 AM

Join the club mate. The membership is increasing…

• 131 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:13 AM

You’re changing the argument to suit your predicament. I’ve never said Carr is not perfect and so he’s not good enough because he’s not perfect. Just as, despite what you wanted to suggest earlier when you called me ageist, I’ve not looked solely at his age. I’m simply linking age to performance. I’m surprised you don’t see the connection in every aspect of life.

• 132 Blackley and Brownlie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:21 AM

I can see others views. Does that mean I have to share them. People will agree with Manx and others will agree with me. But if your best is to call someone a prick that’s okay. I’ve proved you’re a liar on this blog. You have taken it by ignoring it. You call me a liar because you state I haven’t got a season ticket. Do you know how foolish that is? Most people on here will trust that I have ST based on my comments. But no one could call me a liar about it because they cannot prove it. How would they know? They know you’re a liar because your posts actually prove it. Your credibility is zero. You just come on to wind people up.

• 133 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:32 AM

heres one for ya blackley

• 134 lesh // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:36 AM

Given the age debate, it’s about time Carr announced his retirement. That might just put the arguments to bed.

• 135 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:39 AM

Ho ho ho

Unfortunately for you, your reputation precedes you as one of the less appreciated posters on this blog and you have obviously still not learned your lesson from the last time you were banned from the blog.

I font give a fat rats clacker what you think about my credibility. The fact remains that you are an arrogant boring old fart with a distinctly doubtful personal attendance at SJP and the sooner you realise that most people on here would prefer to avoid tossers like you, the better.

As for me winding people up, in some cases, quite possibly. I enjoy a laugh as well as a knowledgeable discussion on a topic when all posters contributions are well regarded, whether agreed with or disagreed with.

Being the attention seeker that you are, it us evident you are incapable of either.

Go to bed old man

• 136 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:46 AM

expat — stop upsetting our fellow posters.
    What is more important is that you need to explain why you own a couple of dogs that herd sheep.

• 137 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 3:00 AM

Should send them on here. Welshie and his pals need some “attention”…….lol

• 138 RolandoOverhead // Jan 31, 2016 at 3:11 AM

If we were really serious about getting a quality striker in and the rumours of Lacazette are true, why not just offer £25m for Vary. That would show intent.

• 139 manxpie // Jan 31, 2016 at 3:15 AM

rolando we might have changed our transfer policy a little bit but not that much mate not a chance let alone him wanting to come here
    there top of the league lol
    with a high chance of at least making the champions league

• 140 Reyantoon // Jan 31, 2016 at 3:34 AM

I Joined this blog about 18 months ago.Based on the posts of certain individuals,it’s not difficult to judge who is a winder,a tosser or a liar.Certainly Blackley is not one of them IMO.

On topic:

Citing we don’t usually do a last minute or last day business, it will be a surprise if someone comes.Happy whoever it is tho,including Gomis.
    The main goal is survival, so it doesn’t matter the incomer is 30 or 35 as long as he is capable of scoring or assisting. Who cares whether it is panicking or ambition. The important thing is the club is showing the desire to invest & build.

Lil – I see you praised McLaren the other day despite an awful team selection agt Watford.I also remember you said he is the best coach in UK prior to his appointment last year.Are you saying McLaren is the only coach who influenced the leaders to invest heavily? You are wrong. The leaders already planned to invest big whoever the mgr is as soon as they realized we were in decline since Jan of last year.I usually agree with your approach towards nufc but there are times I disagree as well.Nothing wrong with that but until I see couple of convincing wins,esp with the latest set of new players,I’m still not convinced by his abilities and whether he’ll save as from the drop, w/h will be a disaster consid’g the club spent close to £100m!

• 141 toonincheek // Jan 31, 2016 at 3:58 AM

Bit of fun reading the posts regarding age/experience/seninity.

The balance between age and experience is variable and inevitably influenced by lack of experience.

The difference between being a sharp needle and a big prick is marginal.

• 142 toonincheek // Jan 31, 2016 at 3:59 AM

seninity – Yes, a typo.
    I do know how to spell.

• 143 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 4:54 AM

Then you are in the minority

• 144 welshgeordie9 // Jan 31, 2016 at 5:28 AM

Attention seeker, that’s a bit rich coming from you and your mate, i think the Aussie sun is affecting you, what’s the matter with weather over here anyway to cold for you is it, bless his little cotton socks.

• 145 jimmysmith // Jan 31, 2016 at 5:31 AM

Doumbia on loan. Ok, great. Assuming of course he really is compatible to the playing style of the side, then he’s a good option to Mitro, and I suppose signals essentially the end of Cisse finally, although Cisse’s a handy 4th choice thats for sure, for the rest of the season. This attacking left back on loan also would also appear good business.

No commitment, or rash buy to worry about, but still two players who do seem to be of the type we need. Of course Carr, doddery old f@cker or not, is by no means infallible, who knows why.

• 146 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 6:05 AM

Oohhh cmon mate. Where is your sense of humour?

Have you left it in the valleys, boyo?

• 147 expatmag // Jan 31, 2016 at 6:10 AM

Seems a sensible move to loan a noted proven goalscorer who has something to prove rather than wasting another 7 million quid on a waste of space like Gomis

If Doumbia can produce the goals to keep us up, then maybe he can earn himself a permanent contract in the summer and thus nay also allow us to attract the likes of Lacazette or Berahino without the worry of relegation in the background

• 148 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 31, 2016 at 6:19 AM

In the summer so many other clubs will be looking at both Lacazette and Berahino!

I find in funny and sad at the same time that the two most important positions are being taken so lightly!

• 149 check the toastie // Jan 31, 2016 at 6:24 AM

gunna be an exciting couple of days with decent players coming in.

a nice change from Pardew whoring our players around the league, I would like to think the club is moving in the right direction.

just a shame we are still odds on to go doon. we are in deep shit. still get beat off Everton and will be exposed at set pieces against West Bram, hopefully score more than we concede.

• 150 cyprus // Jan 31, 2016 at 6:59 AM

The good news is my club hasn’t lost this week 🙂

Hope this CF does a Cisse… best CF transfer intro in the PL ever. The guy would kick from anywhere, anywhere, and score.

• 151 cyprus // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:06 AM

Ageism debate still going on?!

Would a meet up between us bloggers be fun, a surprise (you are _________? Wow), or a massive brawl 😀

• 152 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:15 AM

I see no hope for a striker nor LB. everything has gone quite.

All i read are rumours and speculations

• 153 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:18 AM

“Sometimes the best laid plans are thwarted regardless of how large the amount of money your prepared to spend. Of course the Newcastle hierarchy have only themselves to blame by not spending money every year for the last 7 or more years. So just because Ashley thinks he can catch up on quality by chucking wads of cash at players and those clubs will fall over themselves selling their best players to us – then the results show we are where we are. Let’s just hope in the two days left we get a break and at least sign a decent defender and striker.”

Very very very well said.

All this is so late and stinks of the panic buys that happened before. I am not understanding how stupid people can be. January needed to start of with 3 signings on the first three days. And careful planning of who we are getting. Once again its complete guessing and bulk buying hoping and clinging for life it will work.

I don’t like it. The melting pot just may not work and we go down anyway. Doumbia should have been bought when he was 24. If Remy is a mercenary we should not look at him in all honesty however he was really good for us. Like his style, but he ditches us in an instant.

Two positions that have are badly needed are possibly complete rush buys.LB and CB. CB should have been a 20 million buy at least.

• 154 Mag52 // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:19 AM

If you think scrabbling around Europe a day before the window closes desperately begging any CF who’s breathing to join the good ship NUFC as ‘moving in the right direction’………..

• 155 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:43 AM

Not sure what you are talking about mate. I didn’t praise McClaren after the Watford game at all…. I was fairly critical of his selection. I also haven’t mentioned anything about him influencing the board to spend money, when I have spoken on that topic I’ve generally argued that McClaren has had less influence on the signings then many say.

I doubt I will have said he was the best coach in the UK, but he is a very good training ground coach. Doesn’t make him a good manager though. It doesn’t make him tactically astute or aware, and it doesn’t make him impervious to pressure. I was never overly convinced by his appointment to start with, and said that, but I was happy to give him the chance but stated that I had concerns with certain aspects about him.

I think you have got me mixed up with someone else on this one as you have pretty much got nothing I have said right.

• 156 Berahinwho..? // Jan 31, 2016 at 5:06 PM

First time post.

Listen you nonce.
    Before opening your bucket mouth and straining that fluff inside your melon, you’d better check some current events on your chosen country and it’s people. Australia has endured some horrible bushfires and extreme weather recent/currently the size of your Wales with a number of lives lost, destroyed. So show some respect etc. .Enough said.

previous post: Bafe Gomis Is Not The Striker Newcastle Need