The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle´s Future Captain Talks About January Transfers

7:36 am, Sunday, January 31st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

If we are to keep Georginio Wijnaldum this summer, always assuming we can stay in the Premier League, then there are a couple of things Newcastle can do to make that happen.

The first one is to make him the captain for next season and certainly both on and off the field he plays and acts like a leader and a captain.

It was no surprise he was the PSV captain in their title winning season last term in the Eredivisie.

gini wijnaldum second goal west ham

Georginio Wijnaldum – make him the captain next season

Newcastle have so far signed Jonjo Shelvey, Henri Saivet and Andros Townsend in the transfer window for around £29M, but we still need to sign a striker as a top priority and a left-back to shore up our weak defense before tomorrow night – at least.

Gini was asked to comment on the new arrivals by the Chronicle and this is how he responded:

“We will see. I think as a group and players we don’t think much about transfers.”

“We don’t control transfers. We can only control the performances on-the-field so we must keep ourselves busy with that. Then we’ll see what happens.”

“It is something for the directors and the head coach.” “As players, we must keep the focus on the field and not outside. We can’t control who is coming and who is leaving. It’s better to focus on football.”

And what is the second thing we could do to keep Gini at Newcastle?

Sign his pal at PSV – 21 year-old Dutch International left-back Jetro Willems – who has just returned from a his knee injury and is back playing again for PSV.

Those comments from Gini are a real professional footballer´s response to that question and as usual Wijnaldum is concentrating on what he and his team mates can do to extricate the club from the serious and embarrassing position we are in at the moment.

While Newcastle seem to have done well in the window, other clubs both below us and above us in the league have also strengthened and it will take at least 40 points this season to be safe.

If we can survive in the Premier League for the second season running, we should immediately take action to keep Georginio Wijnaldum at the club and build the team around him.

Tags: Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Currytoon // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:44 AM

Had a dream last night that Lacazette called me to tell me he wanted to go to Real Madrid, could I please accept their offer. I explained I was just a fan from England and couldn’t help, but he just said “but I don’t know who I need to to call”

Felt quite sorry for him.

• 2 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Imagine spending more than £70M and still going down because you disregarded the warning signs about needing a experienced FW and CB the most!

…would that be carma?

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 31, 2016 at 7:43 AM

Reyan,
    Not sure what you are talking about mate. I didn’t praise McClaren after the Watford game at all…. I was fairly critical of his selection. I also haven’t mentioned anything about him influencing the board to spend money, when I have spoken on that topic I’ve generally argued that McClaren has had less influence on the signings then many say.

I doubt I will have said he was the best coach in the UK, but he is a very good training ground coach. Doesn’t make him a good manager though. It doesn’t make him tactically astute or aware, and it doesn’t make him impervious to pressure. I was never overly convinced by his appointment to start with, and said that, but I was happy to give him the chance but stated that I had concerns with certain aspects about him.

I think you have got me mixed up with someone else on this one as you have pretty much got nothing I have said right.

• 4 defenders needed // Jan 31, 2016 at 8:04 AM

So have them lb stories gone to bed now is this our transfer window over?

• 5 Welsh-Toon // Jan 31, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Has to be Captain…

• 6 Malta Mag // Jan 31, 2016 at 8:14 AM

A Tottenham fan over here on the rock who has connections with the club reckons that any talk of Spurs buying Berahinho is simply that “talk” and that they won’t sign him but may be getting used in order to pump up Newcastle’s offer? Personally I like the idea of Berahinho but 25 million sounds a lot and I think it will go to the wire however any conclusion on the other strikers mentioned means we’re out of the deal. Interesting day ahead

previous post: A Strange Story On Saido Berahino