The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Top Striker Very Close To Signing Newcastle Deal

1:43 pm, Sunday, January 31st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

It would be very good if Newcastle can announce the signing of Seydou Doumbia on a loan deal from Roma today – as Sky Sports is reporting he is in Newcastle right now for his medical.

Seydou will be a good signing for us and if we can get him signed up today then we will need a left back and another striker in by tomorrow night at 11:00 pm.

And that could even be possible.

Seydou Doumbia 21

28 year-old Ivory Coast striker Seydou Doumbia

Tags: Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Hail Ashely. Let me hope Mcca does the needful.

• 2 why oh why // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Top signing this one . Very happy

• 3 ilovetoon8788 // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:48 PM

McLaren must be in intense pressure to deliver with this. It’s a top 8 team at least. If we still get relegated McLaren must be hanged

• 4 firebug666 // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Just been watching Doumbia’s goals for CSKA Moscow, He looks like if we sign him the job is his, Always looks hungry for goals and fights for the ball in the box.

He reminds me a little of Faustino Asprilla, with his clever feet and the way he muscles defenders out of his way.

Looks strong, seems very quick, and has good vision.

Wonder why CSKA didn’t sign him?

• 5 why oh why // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:50 PM

The way he plays reminds me of oba.
    But is a better finisher
    He and mitro along with Townsend sissoko and shelvey with saivet covering is a top set of players

• 6 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Getting Berahino would be a bit overkill. Not convinced by him in the slightest, really has done nothing to warrant a £20m+ price tag, especially given the circumstances. After Doumbia, if we have £20-25m to spend (where the hell has it all come from?), I’d rather get a top LB or CB, or a good quality one of each.

Gonna be some clear out too in the near future. Hopefully spells the end of Carr’s obsession with France. Might have realised there are only so many hidden gems to be had, before you’re being roped in to paying hidden gem prices for a lump of rock..

• 7 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Lucas Orban i like.

• 8 Jib // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:56 PM

The Carlisle cuptie is a bit of a walk in the park for the Toffees – just a training session for Wednesday evening really 🙁

• 9 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Lucas Orban reminds of that Manure Argetine LB who also played for Real forgotten his name.

• 10 Thump // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:58 PM

@Will die: Gabriel Heinze?

• 11 lesh // Jan 31, 2016 at 1:59 PM

If this winter’s signings do start bringing in the points, then Carr should be feeling vulnerable.

• 12 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Wow Doumbia looks amazing

• 13 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Yes that one. He is a good ball winner and hardworking if Cathro wants him we give him a chance.

• 14 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Do not know much about this Doumbia fellow here’s hoping he hits the ground running.

Berahino – watched him on Match of the Day last night seems to have the largest arse I’ve ever seen in a footballer. I would be very surprised if we still had an interest in him.

• 15 NezzaNUFC // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:02 PM

I’ve watched Doumbia for years and I can safely say he will come very good at Newcastle, think of Ba and Cisse combined and add more speed and power in the mix and hunger for goals and you’ve got yourself a perfect striker hence Doumbia.

• 16 JackButler // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Would be a great signing, but again all this business and more should have been done in the summer

• 17 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Mcca has a lot of power being in the boardroom if we get Orban then I will know Mcca has control over transfers.

• 18 shaun83 // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Could be good, could be a journeyman! I really hope we are pushing the boat out for berahino too, he will get goals, yesterday shows he still has it.

• 19 Hail Wor Ashley // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Only an uber-macho blogger with a name like Mister Tuff would take note of the size of a players arse.

• 20 Thump // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM

@will die: Yeah, I like him. I still think Siqueira is probably the better talent, but both are still arguably an upgrade on what we have at the moment. Hopefully Obran arriving might mean Mbabu can go out for some much needed first team experience.

@Mister Tuff: I think Hulk might want a word with you on that one, mate!

• 21 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:07 PM

I remember Mcca saying money was availble but he didnt need alot of changes at once. He also wanted to access wat he had.

I remember he said Cisse and Colo to stay. Cisse backfired on him.

• 22 JamesToon // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Team for Everton?

• 23 Mister Tuff // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Toondulkar – excellent name by the way for an Indian supporter.
    Why people support particular teams could be an eternal question that nobody knows the answer to.
    What is clear to me is that NUFC should be trying to promote the team better in other areas of the world.
    Newcastle is a popular place for Indian Students at the Uni – could that be a reason? Also Newcastle has a sizeable Indian population with both a Hindu and Sikh Temple.

• 24 JackButler // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Mister Tuff

Of all the things to notice about a player I have to say I find that very, very strange 🙂

• 25 Take a Chancel on me // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM

JamesToon looks a cracking team

• 26 will die for the toon army // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM

I believe Mbabu is immediate backup for any FULLBACK slot him going on loan will be difficult.

• 27 SA Toon // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:12 PM

• 28 JackButler // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Will die

The Colo situation beggars belief, given how he has played and that whole “I want out” saga. I understand not wanting to flood the squad all at once but we did again overlook the positions we were most desperate to improve.

All the summer signings were already coming here if Carver is to be believed but at least now it looks like SM is the deciding factor on transfers, which is a very good thing imo

• 29 SA Toon // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Don’t know too much about Doumbia, but he looks quick and could do a job for us. I would still like to see MA stick his neck out a bit further and make WBA an offer they can’t refuse for Berahino. To be honest though, if we could end up with Doumbia and Orban I would be happy enough. Orban looks like the real deal. He’s a hard tackling LB who is good in the air, but is certainly well better than we currently have going forward. Class act, and would link up well with Townsend down the left, without sacrificing anything in terms of defense. I’m holding thumbs!

• 30 SA Toon // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:25 PM

@Jamestoon I would be very happy with your proposed team. Would also give us a powerful bench to draw on for the last twenty. Come on NUFC get Orban and a decent striker and we’re good to go! HWTL!!!

• 31 We are the mags // Jan 31, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Im not a FIFA buff so im not into the foreign players so much,but just watched some of his moves on youie,
    He looks strong,fast skillful,tricky, i think he will change the whole dynamics of the team defenders will be chasing him round like headless chickens hopefully giving Mitro that much needed half a second or half a yard, a clear shot without some defender trying to rugby be tackle him,

This could be a real good signing me feels

• 32 Big Archie // Jan 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Is it really likely that they will announce the transfer on a Sunday? Don’t think so.

I wouldn’t have even thought that his medical would be done on a Sunday either.

• 33 Ravostag // Jan 31, 2016 at 4:14 PM