The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Given Some Hope On Loic Remy

9:39 am, Monday, February 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

There are reports coming out of London today that Newcastle are still in with a chance to sign Loic Remy who was expected to sign a permanent deal with Premier League title chasing Leicester City today.

loic remy at newcastle

Loic Remy – while on loan at Newcastle 2013-2014

The news yesterday was that Leicester expected to complete the £10M Loic Remy deal today and that they had beaten off competition from other clubs for the French striker.

The 29 year-old wants to leave Chelsea to get regular football ahead of the Euro 2016 finals in June and will get that at Leicester.

The news today is that Sky Sports claim he is now their third-choice striker target as Leicester have their sights set elsewhere.

Leicester are after Ahmed Musa as their top priority transfer, even though they have had bids rejected by CSKA Moscow – with the latest being a massive £18.7M.

And we suppose if the Foxes do decide on somebody else it may be possible for Newcastle to go in and get Loic Remy in on loan to Newcastle – although Chelsea would prefer a permanent deal.

It must be a little alarming for Loic Remy if indeed he is now 3rd choice but the chances of Leicester getting in their other strikers today has to be very low.

Surely?

Stranger things have happened though and perhaps Newcastle can offer him a deal with higher wages than he would get at Leicester?

Loic Remy would be a stellar signing for us through the rest of this seoasn.

Tags: Loan Moves · Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Fron Indykaila on tw@tscape…..

Warning: Transfer Deadline Day is today so be aware with all these fake “ITK” accounts popping up, idiots at the highest level.

I have just been admitted to hospital wit a bad case or Irony poisoning!

• 2 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:44 AM

OP…fourth bottom on the goal score list!

Yo…not even Citeh can get away with that thinking.

A great offense start from the defense. Where will you get all them goals from?

• 3 Toon_Tom // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I’m not going to lie – this has the making to be the most exciting deadline day in a decade!

The fact we are being linked to so many is exciting in itself, the fact we have just tables a record bid for someone, the fact we have already made brilliant signings which will help encourage people to join, the fact Ashley is prepared to loosen his purse strings!

Even if nobody else comes thru the door today (but i think we will be surprised tonight) it has been an exciting window.

Id rather keep the £25M for the summer if Doumbia is definitely on board or even Splash it on a cracking LB and CB today!

Cahill, Willems, Santon, Gibbs to name a few..

And go in for Remy on loan!

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Has ash ever signed anyone on the last day? Was nacho whatsisface and the other one done on deadline day? You know, the two that made keegan quit?

• 5 Jib // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:48 AM

There is no point at looking at the press today.
    Sky Sports News have their reporters all over the country and are miles ahead of anywhere else.

• 6 lesh // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Charnley’s had over six months to prepare and prioritise our transfer activity for this season and here we are, waiting to see what crumbs are left.

Hopeless!

• 7 Jib // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:49 AM

13 hours and counting

• 8 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Got SSN on waiting for our signings

• 9 WWSBRD // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:52 AM

jesper
    They really can, City dominate the field and dont allow opponents to attack often

Quite a lot of teams do it

And all what goals?

• 10 Jib // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Lesh
    In your frantic thrashing around looking for a blame victim ( why when we have had such a good window ?) you are looking increasingly foolish and petulant.
    Put that bottom lip away ffs.

• 11 will die for the toon army // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Its gone quite

• 12 Bobbybee // Feb 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM

What sort of grinch sets a football fan a hospital appt on deadline day? 😉 I’ve got two today! No internet at the Wansbeck either so I won’t know anything until I get home. I see sneaky Spurs have just loaned West Brom a player to try and grease their palm a bit. Needs must, so Ashley should just give them what they want. Spurs can’t match that on a cash basis and Ashley only deals in cash.

• 13 lesh // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Jib

It’s not a case of looking for a scapegoat.

The squad’s needs have been apparent for some time and if you don’t agree the need for a LB and CB has been apparent long enough.

Have we signed the players who might just plug the gaps in our porous defence? Have we hell and you know it.

• 14 optimistic prime // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Jesper

I’d say our RB is weaker than LB, it’s great going foward if they can but if they can’t defend you might as well put a winger there.

People always say no one covers Jaanmat but no one covers Dummet so he does his job and defends instead of leaving huge holes. The last thing we need to improve our goal difference is another player like Jaanmat.

He’s out of position far to much, people can say he’s our biggest threat. If that’s the case it’s proving my point that we need better fowards and offensive players, not defenders. Unless it’s a RB.

Priority for me was always CM then a Striker, I want Colo out nearly as much as Toonbrother and I think Dummet will end up a CB but I’d rather stick him or Colback at LB and get some goals in the team.

IMO the defence hasn’t been to bad over the last 10 games or so and if we’d had a goal scorer we’d be out the bottom 3.
    Could people say that if we’d had a LB or CB, the games would’ve ended 0-0.

It’s kind of crazy IMO, for the last 3 years people have complained about Pardew trying to nick games 1-0 and those same people are asking for signings that would to do just that. CRAZY!

I’ll take thrilling 3-2 4-3 5-4 for a bit, I’m bored with 10 men behind the ball and no one scoring

• 15 optimistic prime // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Ycmiu

Hahaha

• 16 optimistic prime // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Wasn’t Cisse a last day?

• 17 expatmag // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Other than the announcement of Doumbia, I am not expecting any more signings.

The longer all this speculation goes on, the less time to get the player to the club, conduct the medical and regjster him before 11pm

• 18 JP...from The Rock // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM

I doubt Remy will come to us. Apparently Stoke are after Batshuayi according to SSN!

Some more twists are to be had in this striker chase today.

• 19 expatmag // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Op

No. He was signed mud january

• 20 Spoof // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM

The reports that our £21m offer for Berahino was rejected is a false report, as yet WBA have not responded to that offer.

Personally I think if he moves it will be to Tottenham as I feel that WBA are using us to hack up the price that Tottenham will have to pay.

• 21 optimistic prime // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

There showing where Berihinio is.

More important where is Ashley’s Helicopter?

Where are we holding medicals?

• 22 SA Toon // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Where are they hiding Doumbia? Supposedly he had a medical yesterday, but still no sign of him. I am concerned that we might be holding onto him as a backup option in case Berahino doesn’t come off. At this stage of proceedings that would be a very dangerous game to play. Bring him in now!! As far as Berahino is concerned, I think that tight lipped tw*t Peace will frustrate us in the end. Rather secure Doumbia and Gibbs, and we can try again for a permanent striker signing in the summer.

• 23 optimistic prime // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Expat

I probably thought it was last day because he was our only signing 😉

• 24 jimmysmith // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:13 AM

We don’t need another striker this window, nor CB, although both positions will need to be strengthened in the off season, with Cisse and probably Rivierre shipped out of the attack and at least one of Taylor, Collo, or Lascelles upgraded on too, but for now we have all of them to contribute.

A left back on the other hand we really do need, have done for months, and I agree, it is hopeless to be this late into the window without one already in, and so doubtful that we’ll get one now, however much scrambling about Charnley is doing.

• 25 welshgeordie9 // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Optimistic

From previous post, personally i don’t rate, he’s no better than mitrovic, mitrovic will give you 100 per cent effort, keeps the ball well, gomis just waits for the ball to come to him, and quite lazy when trying to stay onside, i would give him a miss, as long as we get doumbia in then i don’t care, him, mitrovic, Perez and hopefully cisse with our new look midfield I’m more than happy if no one else comes in.

• 26 optimistic prime // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Welsh

That’s the impression I get when I’ve seen him.
    To be honest I think I’d want to kick the tv through if he did that cat celabration for NUFC, which is irrational to say the least.

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

After a bit of googlage.. 2007 saw Habib beye and abdoualeyeylayiralr faye come in hours before the deadline. That was Ashleys first window and sam allardyce was manager.

2008 saw Nacho Gonzalez and Xisco come in on deadline day much to the iritation of KK. So the answer to my question is ‘yes’, but hasnt exactly worked out well.

• 28 Slank // Feb 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM

lesh @ 13

I disagree with you, to a degree, about the squad’s needs have been apparent for some time. A left back and centre back would not have been my priority.

The results point to the fact that it is our strike force who are failing not our defence.

We have lost many games by a single goal margin. If we had scored a single goal we wouldn’t be in the precarious position we find ourselves today.

To me, the key position was the midfield, left wing and centre forward in that order of priority. As hard as Colback and Anita work they don’t have the vision and forward passing ability that Cabaye had. Playing Gini on the left meant that he drifted into his natural number 10 role leaving our left back exposed. Shelvey and Townsend should readdress this team imbalance and weakness.

As regards Mitrovic I’m not too sure as centre forwards thrive on service and it would not be totally accurate to say he hasn’t had that service as Gini has scored most, if not all, his goals in the six yard box so there is service there.

But I agree with you that we will need a centre back as I suspect that this may be Colo’s last season.

previous post: Newcastle In Move For Arsenal’s Kieran Gibbs