The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Star Striker Gets Bumper New Contract At Last

2:56 pm, Monday, February 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Ayoze Perez has signed a new deal at Newcastle after he must have been on very low wages for the last 18 months after he was signed in the summer of 2014 for the Peter Beardsley’s Development squad.

But since then of course he has made some great strides and has played 62 times for the Newcastle first team with 12 goals and he’s become an important player for us.

ayoze perez steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren and Ayoze Perez today

Some top clubs have been after the 22 year-old but he seems to just love it at Newcastle and certainly he a huge fan favorite.

The deal is a five and a half year deal that takes him to 2021 at Newcastle – and the terms – the wages – will be much improved from what he has been earning.

But Ayoze has earned the new deal and he’s a terrific young professional who never complains and always talks about how he can get fitter and better at Newcastle.

Just the type of lad we need at the club.

This is what Ayoze said about the new deal:

“It’s a special day for me, a big day for me,” “The truth is I’m really happy here, so it’s a good thing for me – and I hope it’s the same for the Geordie family.”

“Newcastle gave me everything and I’m really pleased to sign this new contract.”

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren said this:

“I am delighted that Ayoze has signed a new deal.” “He is a very good player with huge potential and someone we believe has a very big future at Newcastle United.”

“We are trying to build this Club for the long-term, and you can see that through our transfer business,” “Ayoze has proved himself to be a very good player and I am delighted he has extended his contract here.”

“He has surprised me in terms of his ability. He can change a game, win a game and has scored some important goals for us this season. He has been a big plus.”

“There is a lot more to come from Ayoze and that will happen in a Newcastle United shirt.””

Good words from Steve McClaren there.

It was a bit long in coming but this is very good news – better late than never.

Congratulations to Ayoze and bang some of those goals in for us over the next 15 games.

🙂

Tags: Ayoze Perez · Contracts · Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 juan // Feb 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Some good news

• 2 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM

get in

• 3 Goldmbemba // Feb 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM

honestly theres nothing not to like about perez. is there a nicer guy in premier league football right now?

really hope he can score some goals for us this year, i think he deserves success.

• 4 optimistic prime // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Good for him

• 5 switch365 // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM

This would appear to be what Ayoze aluded to not too long ago, great news for a guy who has been extremely vocal about how much he loves this club.

We may well have plans in the pipeline for strengthening our defence in the summer, but by then it could be too late, we MUST sign at least a lb today, preferably a cb and lb.

• 6 SPRINGY // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM

good day so far….lets hope it gets better!

• 7 kilcline // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Great news

Need to sign Arrons up next!

Perez, Armstrong, Mitro and one more striker bodes well for the next 5 years.

• 8 ilovetoon8788 // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM

This is like a dream. I can’t believe we have truly splashed and apparently we are going to make a 25m bid for berahino and rumors that he has left their training ground. Sounds like our version of Carroll all over again.

We have a great squad even without berahino. Fantastic team. Over to you mclaren to get this squad playing.

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Totally agree, aarons should be next to sign a long contract.

• 10 lesh // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM

I think it’s fair to say that we’ve brought some good signings in over the last two windows. How much influence had over them? Probably quite a lot, especially in this window.

And more particularly, McClaren’s closer to the modern game than Carr so maybe it’s time for Ashley to relieve Carr of some pressure and reduce his responsibilities.

• 11 Goldmbemba // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

not sure about signing aarons up… think he really needs to prove his fitness first.

• 12 hibbitt // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM

ilovetoon8788
    we don’t have a great defence we need a first team CB a first team LB and a back up RB only 3 players but 3 very important players to the squad

• 13 SPRINGY // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM

apparently santon wants permanent toon transfer or nowt

• 14 The Newcastle Armchair // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Great news on ayoze as I know we all agree.

Excited for Doumbia – his goalscoring record in at Rome wasn’t the best, he relies on outsprinting the last man to the goal and playing in a league which opposing defenders favour a low defensive line doesn’t suit him. He should flourish at Newcastle.

• 15 Jib // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:16 PM

I’ve been extremely vocal about how much I love the Toon .
    Not been offered a penny 🙁

• 16 Bobbybee // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Cheers lads, but my back’s no better. One fracture has healed, but there’s two more appeared. It’s virtually unheard of for a bloke my age to get osteoporosis so I’m causing quite a stir with the experts. Seeing a specialist spine surgeon on Wednesday so might know more then. Looks like surgery is on the cards because it’s been months now and just getting worse.
    Yeah, I’ve seen young Sterry play and he reads the game very well. Definitely one for the future. Really missing going to the games, but can’t sit up for long without laid up for days afterwards. Great news about Perez though. Tempted to try and get to West Brom game and sod the consequences. See how brave I feel next week! 😉

• 17 mad-serb // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:21 PM

So its about a 3 and half hour drive which means we probably have about 3 hours left at most to get the deal sorted. I recon if we dont have any new news by 6pm ist done for the day.

we asked for a striker and we got the type of striker we wanted so I guess we should be happy. some cover at the back would have helped but if I think back I did not think we would sign 4 players of which all seem to be quality singing and paper. now they need to prove it on the pitch.

• 18 nightfa11 // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Really good 2 tw.. Our squad looks great..dont really care if we get berahino or not..we have Wini, Perez, mitro and doumbia..

All we need is a LB, a towering cb in the summer and we have a top 6 squad..

Elliot
    Janmaat colo mbemba New LB
    Saviet shelvey
    Sissoko Wini townsend
    Doumbia

Subs: Perez, mitro, Taylor, Dummet, colback, Aarons

• 19 MacToon // Feb 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Great news.

I’m guessing, with our new signings in, he’ll be more of an impact sub for the rest of the season? Could suit him although I’m sure he’ll be desperate to play every minute.

• 20 TroubledToon // Feb 1, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Good news. He deserves it.

• 21 check the toastie // Feb 1, 2016 at 5:44 PM

kids good, a proper professional.

• 22 Gforbes73 // Feb 1, 2016 at 6:23 PM