The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Doumbia Doubt – Pressure Now On McClaren

3:34 pm, Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Steve McClaren has given his press conference for the important game at Everton tomorrow night and of course the first thing he has said is that Everton are a fantastic squad – well just in case we lose the game.

But Steve and the lads have to start producing the results now and it all starts tomorrow night at Goodison Park.

steve mcclaren press confernce

Steve McClaren – gave his press conference today

Here’s some of what Steve said today on Doumbia and on the Everton game:

“Everton have got a fantastic squad with very good players and, on their day, they can beat anybody.”

“Our signings show a statement of intent. We have a very good squad. The club and the players needed these deals.”

‘We’ve done some great business. 4 very good signings. I’m absolutely delighted with what we’ve done. It shows Newcastle’s ambition.”

“We’re hoping Doumbia will be available for the Everton game. It’s touch and go but if not tomorrow then Saturday.”

Here’s the games we have in February although the Manchester City game will have to be rearranged because of their League Cup final on the weekend of Sunday 28th February.

February

Wed 03    19:45    A       Everton
Sat 06      15:00    H       West Brom
Sat 13      17:30    A       Chelsea
Sun 28     12:00    H       Manchester City *

* to be rearranged

In those three upcoming games we really need to somehow get two wins on the board – although that could be very difficult – we’d take 5 points.

The next game is not until 2nd March at Stoke City so the longer we go without wins, the longer we will stay in the bottom three.

Mike Ashley will want to see some return for the £81M the owner has spent on players since Steve McClaren arrived and surely that’s not asking too much.

We really hope Steve and the players can produce the goods.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Everton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Has The January Transfer Window Been A Good One For Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Press Conference · Transfer News and Rumours

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Feb 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM

UNASHAMED CLICK BAIT

• 2 Jib // Feb 2, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Is this the right selection for the Toffees

• 3 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 2, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Transfer window was good; we spent money on improving first team areas of the pitch (as normal teams should do, especially in out predicament), although it wasn’t complete, as a quality centre half and left back were needed, and a another top centre forward.

Very happy with us giving Doumbia a shot though, hope he continues his usual goal scoring.

Hopefully this gives us a big boost and chances are actually finished off now. Serious pace in Sissoko, Townsend, and Doumbia could be eye-catching, especially as at least McClaren tries to implement a coaching style. Bit worried he might start just counter-attacking though after sitting back. Hope not, as you can counter without just sitting back.

• 4 angelswithdirtyfaces // Feb 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Tsunki

I would certainly group Jeff and Bl&Br together as blog spoilers.
    How did you get involved ?

• 5 wynsleap // Feb 2, 2016 at 3:57 PM

It has been a decent window for the club but not a great one. We needed urgently a striker with a top class goalscoring record and a good left back.
    We didn’t get either and will now have to buy these in the next window along with a quality central defender and top manager. (And that’s not cheap!)
    They should have been purchased now leaving us with next window to begin upgrading some weak positions. We always seem to be a couple of players short of what we need at any one time.
    I really hope Doumbia will score the goals we need but have my doubts. Townsend and Shelvey are excellent buys but will have to start showing it quickly. Regrettably we are only an injury or two away from disaster in defence. It’s all a big gamble. Hold on tight!

• 6 Tsunki // Feb 2, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Angels – by being stupid enough to think Blackley could hold his own in a rational debate without turning all bitchy schoolgirl on me. I questioned him on why he thought it was rational for Ashley not to charge for advertising rather than use it as hostage for the loan he has made to himself. It ended up with him doing victory jigs and trying to reinvent me as some defeated blog nitwit. I never got my answer though. I guess it will fulfil prophecy if I keep engaging him 🙁

• 7 Tsunki // Feb 2, 2016 at 4:01 PM

I’m in the 9% I’m afraid. I don’t want to be doom and gloom about it I just think the signings are OK, will probably propel us above the bottom tier of death, but it’s going to take a summer clear out to start making us look like proper competitors. Can’t really expect a panic window to create a fantastic team overnight. I think it will do it’s job, not much more. And that’s the idea.

• 8 Shadow_Shearer // Feb 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Can somebody tell me what’s happened to doumbia?? Did he sign yesterday, & get injuried today????
    How did he even pass a medical

• 9 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 2, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Shadow, doubt because we’re waiting on his visa clearance I think. Just said on Sky Sports.

• 10 Ravostag // Feb 2, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Despite a good transfer window I still doubt that we can get out of the bottom three. The teams above us seem able to grind out a win every now and then and also a gritty draw but we never seem to put a run together. Finally we have not signed a central defender which is poor.

previous post: Saido Berahino´s Strange Tweet Last Night

next post: Two Managers Waiting To Take Over At Newcastle?