The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Gives Positive Injury Update

10:36 pm, Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 107 Comments

In his press conference today Steve McClaren was even more than upbeat on a number of things – the January transfer window and how strong his squad is and the manager now thinks the squad is good enough now to avoid relegation.

steve mcclaren press conf

Steve McClaren – very upbeat today

This is what Steve said about the injured players coming back:

“Paul Dummett has been training the last three or four days so he should be OK and Jack Colback is very very close.”

“Sadio will be a couple of weeks before he’s back on the grass and training with us so he should be ready for the Stoke game he should be fit.”

“Mbabu will be three or four weeks before he’s back.”

“What we see in the next three or four weeks even more strength to the squad and getting stronger with injured players coming back.”

Steven Taylor has been back in training now for a couple of weeks and Vurnon Anita is a week or so away from coming back to training with his hamstring injury.

So the injuries Newcastle have at the moment have us in 4th place in the injury table.

Liverpool and Manchester United are at the top with both clubs having seven injured players – it’s good not to be at the top of that league for a change.

The five injured players are Vurnon Anita (hamstring), Gabby Obertan (knee), Sadio Haidara (knee), Tim Krul (ACL knee) and Curtis Good (hip/thigh).

How Will Newcastle Fare At Everton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press Conference

107 responses so far ↓

• 1 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:38 PM

• 2 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM

• 3 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Loads of “like new signings” soon!

I do hope these (real) new signings know how to get injured at important times. We’ve got to keep up the pace at the top of the injury league.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:40 PM

OP…Took me a second too.

To think, people were calling for a LB during the window.

• 5 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:40 PM

I think that’s the closest I’ve seen the votes

• 6 Toonsend // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Love is a burning thing
    And it makes a fiery ring.
    Bound by wild desire
    I fell into a ring of fire.

I fell into a burning ring of fire,
    I went down, down, down and the flames went higher
    And it burns, burns, burns,
    The ring of fire, the ring of fire.

The taste of love is sweet
    When hearts like ours meet.
    I fell for you like a child,
    Oh, but the fire went wild.

I fell into a burning ring of fire,
    I went down, down, down and the flames went higher
    And it burns, burns, burns,
    The ring of fire, the ring of fire.

I fell into a burning ring of fire,
    I went down, down, down as the flames went higher
    And it burns, burns, burns,
    The ring of fire, the ring of fire.

And it burns, burns, burns,
    The ring of fire, the ring of fire,
    The ring of fire, the ring of fire.

• 7 expatmag // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM

You annoying my old mate TUFF again?

Tut tut……never learn, do you?…….lol

• 8 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM

We’ve Loadsa LBs, I’d be more happy with a doctor a nurse possibly even a St. John’s ambulance bloke.

Injury league, no competion, hand owa the trophy!

• 9 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM

We were starting to look more cut off than circumcised Barry.

• 10 firebug666 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:45 PM

So that vote is very close, but I still go with my 2-0 win prediction, OP’s, Wijnaldum and my Perez as the scorers.

• 11 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Windows over, start the training ground.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:49 PM

firebug…How much did he cost you?

OP…Show some respect for the other candidates, the race isn’t over yet. Many months of injuries still to come. The excitement is just starting.

• 13 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:50 PM

I see Pards is struggling as well. Wheels of his team are rapidly falling off.

• 14 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM

I reckon Everton 1 Newcastle 3

• 15 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM

That’s a point, has there been any further developments with regards to the training facility works?

Are the club still unsure as to our PL future? Perhaps they need to have a chat with Freddy.

• 16 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Palace relegation candidates?

• 17 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:55 PM

What a goal from Vardy

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM

I hope doumbia scores a goal like vardys goal tomorrow, contender for goal of the season i reckon.

• 19 Harley // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:57 PM

I did exactly the same.

• 20 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Take a chancel…Just seen it as well. Cracking shot.

It’ll be interesting to see if Leicester can keep this going. Love an underdog, so fingers crossed for them. Still quite an achiement to date.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM

I would love us to win tomorrow, but don’t be surprised if we get a draw or worse, it’s a tough away fixture.

• 22 firebug666 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM

25p down and four threatening letters.

Should have said OP predicted Wijnaldum to score I I went for Perez.

• 23 Mister Tuff // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Jib Jibberish – stop trying to divert attention with posting photos. I know plenty about Bennys parents
    His dad Kamel was a Tunisian International who went to France in 1973 to work in a foundry. I think he was 8 years old in 1962 and lives in Châtenay Malabry – south West Paris.
    I have asked a simple question provide your sources please -it is not difficult.

I believe you cannot because you have made another famous gaffe – mixing up stuff on Google and then – like one of your pet hates – still sticking to the story despite owerwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    Tunisia became independent in 1956 and has nothing to do with your waffle -some time ago you bragged you were a lecturer in Modern European History excuse my French but you know F**K all about French History.
    Last time I’ll ask you to provide links/evidence come on.

• 24 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Chancel, Palace to take the last relegation spot me thinks.

This forum thread on a Palace site is funny, its called ‘Toon fans where are you?’

Our very own toonLYF is on there holding his own haha

• 25 WWSBRD // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:59 PM

U! I like u!

• 26 hate // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Saido is coming back from injury, good news lads.

I’ve been reading the blog for quite some time now, and this is my first comment I think. Just wanted to say hi to everybody, a true supporter from Slovakia. Cheers

• 27 Harley // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:02 PM

6 points from the next 2 games would be amazing.
    We need to start beating teams like Everton (who are having a nightmare at home) and west brom at home.
    Then we need to pull off the odd shock and get a result against Chelsea or city.

7 points from the next 4 games would be a huge lift for everyone.

• 28 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Palace are dropping like a stone.

• 29 Jib // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Mr Tuff and Blackley

• 30 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Yeah I stuck a Johnny 5 on Leicester to win prem at 5/1. Each way as well so will defo see some return.

• 31 WWSBRD // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Everton tough away fixture…someone’s not been paying attention this season

• 32 loonie-toon // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Vardys goal quality that

• 33 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Toffee’s can’t buy a win at Goodison, it’s and ideal time to play them

• 34 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Redknapp said something on SSN last night about Leicester.

“Leicester have set a standard, not only for themselves but every other so called small team in the league”

Or something very similar, went on to say, why can’t all the other teams go out give 100% in each game with no fear?.

They’ve shown it can be done, hard work 100% effort and commitment every game and belief.

I agree with what he said, I’d love to see them win it. It would be amazing

• 35 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Doumbia hatty and all is forgotten eh.

And I’ve heard he’s actually 14 as well so should have the energy to run stones all game.

• 36 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:12 PM

I think they can.
    No Europe, none of the top teams are firing. They’re a good team, no injuries and it’s there’s!

• 37 Jib // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Mr Tuff
    Where’s this Ben Arfa OFFICIAL site you threatened me with – eh – eh – eh ?
    It doesn’t exist you blustering poltroon.
    You believe what you want it’s a free country.
    Personally my dear – – – – – – – – –

• 38 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Who’d have thunk wor danny boy would go on to be part of relatively watertight premiership winning defence eh hahaha

• 39 welshgeordie9 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Hang on a minute you two, when was the last time we went there and won.

• 40 welshgeordie9 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:16 PM

I don’t give a damn.

• 41 welshgeordie9 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Sorry Jib

Ha ha ha

• 42 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Everton have played a lot of football last few weeks, they aren’t the best at home and are very sloppy at the back.

It’s a hard game but winnable, I think we’ll win. Or if you prefer I think we have a really good chance of winning.

• 43 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Wasn’t that bad here, I remember 5/6 goal line clearances. Steady.

• 44 welshgeordie9 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:21 PM

If we get a point tomorrow and win against west brom Sunderland lose, then we will be six points clear of them before we play man city and Chelsea.

• 45 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:22 PM

I think Spuds are gonna just keep pushing along nicely as well. They’re quietly creeping up in the background without anyone knowing.

Who knows eh. I personally don’t think it’s Arsenals anyway

• 46 welshgeordie9 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I know that but i hate it when we play them, never goes our way, like couple of weeks ago when we had so many chances and then they grabs a late winner with cleverley.

• 47 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Leicester will turn Citeh over at the weekend.

• 48 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Then arsenal the following week

• 49 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:26 PM

we are a different team from then I reckon we will turn them over

• 50 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Need another Benny rocket eh. Timmy Howard still has nightmares according to my sources

• 51 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Water under the bridge, the team know we should have won that game and will want revenge.

High tempo from the start, wear them down, then release Perez and Doumbia.

Over to Steeve

• 52 WWSBRD // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Fingers crossed Elliott doesn’t gift them another goal we should be a far more balanced team this time round and we shouldn’t of lost last time so stuff this scared of Everton stuff

Roberto is doing a wonderful job turning what Moyes built into Wigan mk 2

• 53 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Curtis Goode is making Saylor look like Ironman! Is his dad Marcileno?

• 54 Toonsend // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:30 PM

I couldn’t figure why
    You couldn’t give me what everybody needs
    I shouldn’t let you kick me when I’m down
    My baby
    I find out everybody know that
    You’ve been using me
    I’m surprised you
    Let me stay around you
    One day I’m gonna lift the cover
    And look inside your heart
    We gotta level before we go
    And tear this love apart

There’s no fight you can’t fight
    This battle of love with me
    You win again
    So little time
    We do nothing but compete
    There’s no life on earth
    No other could see me through
    You win again
    Some never try
    But if anybody can, we can
    And I’ll be, I’ll be

Oh baby I shake you from now on
    I’m gonna break down your defenses
    One by one
    I’m gonna hit you from all sides
    Lay your fortress open wide
    Nobody stops this body from
    Taking you

You better beware, I swear
    I’m gonna be there one day when you fall
    I could never let you cast aside
    The greatest love of all

• 55 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:31 PM

5 in a row for Palace.

Yours sincerely, crew/rabble/group/squad/wide awake people.

• 56 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing Doumbia tomorrow if he can play.

• 57 VanToonMan // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:38 PM

What;s everyone’s team for tomorrow?

We have been playing 4-2-3-1 so I’m not sure how we are going to accommodate both Mitro and Doumbia

• 58 Moonraker15 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:42 PM

City will end the dream for Leicester City at the weekend. Although they are good and full of confidence, they are having the rub of the greed as demonstrated by the speculative pass to Vardy and the instinctive volley’d goal which although class on another night misses the goal. Also they are almost totally dependant on Vardy’s goals and when they dry up or he gets injured they will struggle to get wins. Newcastle were 12 points clear of Man U at this stage in ’96! Leicester are only 3 points clear. We were in a 2 horse race whereas Leicester are up against 3 others. One thing for sure though; things are looking good for England!

• 59 Moonraker15 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Pardew’s on a roll ! Hahahaha blaming the players now ! Lol

• 60 Moonraker15 // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:48 PM

If Doumbia gets his visa he must play some part tomorrow! I think he will have a field day been watching some videos and he is such a great finisher. Can’t wait to see him chasing down Stones ang Jagielka!

• 61 bettyswallocks // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:49 PM

What a game Fraser Forster had should have kept him.

Jib…… The pic.was very good. Someone posted the other day about playing chess with a pigeon. It made me chuckle,

• 62 Lindisfarne // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:58 PM

• 63 Lindisfarne // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:04 AM

A positive financial outlook in the Telegraph.
    “McClaren is also confident Newcastle will be among the biggest spenders in the Premier League again in the summer, as long as they stay in it.
    “We wanted to take this club forward,” he added. “You’re absolutely right, that will only progress through investment. Really it’s just the beginning, it’s not the end, it’s only the beginning.””

• 64 Take a Chancel on me // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:11 AM

if a really really poor Swansea beat everton and draw with wba then we should be able to beat both teams

• 65 MadisonToon // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:17 AM

If Doumbia can’t get his visa in time:

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Dummett

If he gets his visa, I think we need to try to get both Doumbia and Mitro on the pitch at the same time. I’m yet to be convinced by Saivet, so he would be the man moved to the bench. Maintain wingers, but move one from DM up top.

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Dummett

Do you think there should be a different lineup?

• 66 manxpie // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:21 AM

We are masters at giving teams on bad runs a nice win so come on losebar! Winbar can ferk off!

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:31 AM

That big lad in goal for Southampton looks canny. Why can’t Graham Carr ever scout a player like that?

• 68 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:36 AM

I remember about 5 years ago an ex-NUFC player (one of the entertainers) telling me that Forster was the pick of the keepers and the one they were going to retain. Our head of recruitment must’ve had other ideas.

• 69 Ibizatoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:41 AM

From memory, the issue was that Forster wanted the move as he wanted first team football.

Whilst he hadn’t been given many chances at the club, whenever he did, he did nothing more than okay, certainly nothing to dislodge Krul who had rightly made the claim as No 1.

A choice had to be made and I do understand why they stuck with Krul. In hindsight however….

…I suppose we’d also have to factor in whether our coaching team would have gotten the same out of Forster that Southampton have.

• 70 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:46 AM

Our defence looks shite on paper. Colo, who can’t cope with big men, will be up against Lukaku today. No doubt he will go AWOL with a big man about.

Afobe is scoring for Bournemouth, and Sunderland played very well against City by all accounts. WBA’s new striker looks promising.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Fat Freddie is so confident, he’ll put his house on us marching up the table. Jib concurs.

And if the worst comes to the worst, Jib intends to write to the FA to demand that they ignore certain goals that we have conceded. That should be enough to gain us a few extra points. It could just be the difference.

• 71 Ibizatoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:48 AM

Blackley…Just on paper?

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Apparently Forster was on very good form whilst on loan at Norwich and Celtic.

• 73 MadisonToon // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:51 AM

Our defense certainly hasn’t improved – hopefully the summer window will rectify that issue. I agree that we should move up the table but that’s dependent on assumptions made about the quality of the incomings and how well SM will be able to get them playing together.

RE: Forster
    Definitely one that we let slip through our fingers, but at the time he left, we couldn’t really give him the starting spot. He’s done well for himself and I’m happy things are going well for him. Ibiza is spot on about the issues with his showings when he had the chance, so he wasn’t really pushing or able to get time in the first team before he left. It would be great to see more use of our fringe players in cup competitions…but as we are currently going, we can’t stay in a cup competition for more than a single match so that opportunity doesn’t really exist.

• 74 Ibizatoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:52 AM

Blackley…He was, I remember. It was more when he was given a chance for us, he didn’t really set the world alight.

Nor did Krul do much wrong, to warrant dropping him for another keeper who had been doing a similar job on loan at Celtic and Norwich.

My point being, on this occassion, I think the club made the best decision they could. In retrospect, it may have been the wrong call.

• 75 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:55 AM

I’m only prepared to look at it on paper. I can’t bear to imagine it on grass. If I wasn’t at work, I’d be watching the game – but only through my fingers. Like I watched the birth of my kids.

• 76 Mister Tuff // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Jib Jibberish the blog pest – as I thought no evidence at all. You’ve clearly read something and completely misunderstood but will not accept it.
    Benny was born in France – not Tunisia. It is on just about every stats/bio page in the world yet you deny it.
    I posted you with several websites where it shows his date and place of birth including a UEFA page – his profile page at Nice and all you can provide is a picture of his parents and a picture of two pigeons on a chess board.
    so to sum up –
    1. I think we can be assured that Benny was born in France.
    2. You know nothing about French History.
    3. You resort to waffle to evade answering.
    4. You are the blog gaffemeister

You need to change your game – ladies wrestling or ladies rugby suggested.

• 77 stan anderson // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:56 AM

Please tell me how the mackems can go out and get 2 C/H S and yet we choose to ignore our blatant weakness is at the defence. Like i said you start with a point hang on to it. We have let in goals galore for ages and we buy forwards and midfielders .Give me strength for gods sake.

• 78 Ibizatoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:58 AM

Blackley…There’s no need to imagine after 23 games, but I get your point.

I’ll be watching the game on TV here in the States. Bit gutted not to have my armchair with me though. Airline wanted a fortune to bring it with me.

• 79 stan anderson // Feb 3, 2016 at 12:59 AM

You people are still going on about Benny Pardew etc.They are gone we need a defence not those 2 Effers

• 80 Ibizatoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 1:03 AM

Stan…Has quite a nice ring to it, Benny Pardew.

Whilst I agree that both Pardew and Benny have had more than enough air time on here and that neither are the answer to our problems, however, if we’re to talk of what we have or what we can do, then new CB’s are off the list until summer time.

• 81 Mister Tuff // Feb 3, 2016 at 1:09 AM

My God Benny Pardew – Jib will be onto that in a flash – promoting yet another tale that King Percy is Bennys dad. I thought this would be the end of his jacksie being caned yet again – now awaiting the King Percy love child tale..

• 82 stan anderson // Feb 3, 2016 at 1:09 AM

We have needed a new defence for years but the powers that be dont strengthen the weakness goals against say’s it all really mate

• 83 stan anderson // Feb 3, 2016 at 1:14 AM

I am sorry i missed a comma between Benny and Pardew,so sorry

• 84 Ibizatoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Tuff…Are you suggesting that ole Percy isn’t Bennys father?

Stan…It’s bizarre. They say they see the weaknesses. They say we have the money to rectify those weaknesses. They apparently make moves to cover those weaknesses (well, it was reported we were after a LB anyway), yet they deem it’s not that urgent and can wait another window.

Something, somewhere, doesn’t add up. Can it be as simple as arrogance?

• 85 Ibizatoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Stan…One more sorry and I’ll think you’re being insincere.. I found it funny, so made the joke – Don’t “fret”

• 86 Mister Tuff // Feb 3, 2016 at 2:08 AM

Ibiza – hi – how’s things.
    Jib Jibberish will spin it out as a smoke screen to mask his blog gaffes – diversionary tactics.
    Would have been easier if he just accepted he was wrong and a birdbrain/dunderhead.
    And at that away to the pit.

• 87 expatmag // Feb 3, 2016 at 3:49 AM

For those who dont believe we have strengthened the defence in recent years, we have bought Janmaat, Lascelles, Mbemba and Darlow at a cost of over 20 million pounds.

Shortly before the last world cup, we bought Hsidara and Mbau too.

The only significant outgoing from the defence in the last 3 years or so was Debuchy to Arsenal for 12 million pounds. We also got 5 million pounds when we sold Forster.

However, we could and SHOULD have done more in this area of the team as results over recent seasons show.

• 88 Termijn // Feb 3, 2016 at 4:17 AM
    Anyone seen this?
    Reading this doesnt exactly fill me with confidence that Doumbia will be a success here. Reminds me too much of the Luuk de Jong signing in that he was prolific in a weaker league but couldnt make the step up in Germany/Italy. His fitness also looks to be a worry and I cant imagine given our record that will improve too much here. Regardless I’d like to see him do well and will wait until he plays a few games before passing judgement.

I saw Afobe scored again as well, reckon we should have matched Bournemouth for him, 10M cheaper than Berhaino would’ve been too.

• 89 Very Terry // Feb 3, 2016 at 4:50 AM

@Jib 1 and 8 four or five threads ago!
    thanks for those links, I’m overseas and can’t always watch so they are brilliant for me 🙂

• 90 Reyantoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 5:44 AM

EllaGuru – Stop your moaning.This is not a failed window. It’s a success window.Don’t try to make a havoc.How many ‘she’ posters are there on this blog? I noticed two so far.

• 91 Jail for Ashley // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:31 AM

Ha ha, what a nerve, the codswallop you’ve been posting these last couple of years.

• 92 cyprus // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:43 AM

Enrique would’ve been good though a risk with his constant injuries.

On tonight well hoping for a win.

Predicting a draw. Though defeat is also on the cards 🙂

• 93 Reyantoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:45 AM

Not worst than you are..

• 94 Sliema // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:45 AM

• 95 Ron Knee // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:45 AM

In other words, anything could happen!

Morning jesper!

• 96 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:48 AM

Morning Ron…will you be watching the game tonight?

• 97 Ron Knee // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:49 AM

Yes. If I can stay awake!

• 98 firebug666 // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:50 AM

Enrique should have taken the short term loan deal if he wanted to play football, but he wanted a longer contract, so he could sit in our physio room and collect his huge pay packet.

• 99 expatmag // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:54 AM

JFA @ 91

Well said sir

• 100 firebug666 // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:56 AM

The last time I spoke to Reyantoon he was calling himself Ethiotoon and was extremely offensive, I think the last thing I told him to do was to go out find a an oxygen producing tree and apologise to it.

Avoided speaking to him since, although he has changed and is less offensive now.

• 101 Reyantoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 6:58 AM

As the blog’s knowhow and master, why don’t you google the blog and tell me the question I ask instead of twisting things and trying to cover urself as if you don’t know anything about it.What a plonker!

• 102 LGFUAD21 // Feb 3, 2016 at 7:14 AM

It’s a tricky one re foreign strikers.

There’s always a risk regardless of whether they’ve played in the league before or not.

Truth be told, how many decent strikers are there that are attainable and english (Austin and Afobe would’ve been the two)

For every failure there is a success.

I think LDJ is a proper number 9 in Holland but his build meant that it didn’t translate to our tougher league. Although it’s unfair to judge given his game time and being played out of position.

Mitrovic is a curious one because he has all the attributes to make it in this league. His hold up play shows that he can handle th physicality and his link up shows he can handle the pace as well as a player of his mould should. Finishing shouldn’t ge affecte too much league to league which leads me to think the slow start of the whole team knocked his confidence and he is snatching at chances.

Doumbia is a different prospect who I don’t think can be judged on his time at Roma at all. He played next to nothing in terms of minutes in a team that isn’t h gelt suited to his style. Or a league.

Looking at him I see him as an upgrade on perez. He’s stronger on the Ball faster and his finishing matches Perez’s (we must remember that Perez is still a development player) I can’t see him struggling anymore with the toughness and tempo of the league than perez and his physical attributes say he should handle it better.

I think ultimately he brings the same type of play but with more experience and power and purpose than Perez does at the moment.

• 103 LGFUAD21 // Feb 3, 2016 at 7:16 AM

On afobe.

I never really thought “we should sign him” until Bournemouth did and he got off to a great start.

It shwould lent have been a surprise though. I saw him play u a couple of times for the arsenal youth team 5/6 years ago and he was a very good young talent back then. I was surprised when arsenal let him go actually as they seemed to have high hopes for him.

• 104 firebug666 // Feb 3, 2016 at 7:23 AM

Excellent post mate and I agree.

I think Doumbia will find his level with us, we are starting to produce the type of football suited to a strong pacey striker, I notice in the video I watched of him that he can score with both feet and is a good strong header of the ball, he attacks set plays well, and uses his strength in the box.

He has quick feet, can dribble through defenders, but will also track back into the midfield and get a tackle in.

So for me he is a bit of an all-rounder who will bring a lot of experience to the side, hopefully with a lot of goals.

• 105 Reyantoon // Feb 3, 2016 at 7:30 AM

EllaGuru- apologies if u are reading, no offense intended. Just trying to have a conversation as you are one of good posters on this blog.

• 106 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 3, 2016 at 7:32 AM

Ron…stay awake? Is it that boring? 😉 lol

• 107 Jail for Ashley // Feb 3, 2016 at 7:45 AM

If that post @ 101 was aimed at me then I know exactly what post it was. Ella Guru was just saying what a lot of people are thinking on the folly of not strengthening the PL’s third worst defence but don’t want to say in case of being called a ‘negger’ or to shut up moaning by the likes of you. Had the vote had a third option imo it wouldn’t have had a 90% approval rate.

previous post: There’s No Chance Of Newcastle Going Down