The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

There’s No Chance Of Newcastle Going Down

10:11 pm, Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

Former Newcastle Chairman Freddy Shepherd is of course a Newcastle fan – born and bred in Newcastle –  and on the Alan Brazil Breakfast show today he says there´s simply no chance of Newcastle going down

And Shepherd is confident that Newcastle have done the right thing in this transfer window and got some very good players through the door – which is never easy in January.

freddy shepherd 2015

Freddy Shepherd – former Newcastle Chairman

This is some of what Freddy said on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show:

“There’s no chance of Newcastle going down, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a former chairman.

“I’d put my house on it, Newcastle will not go down.” “They’ve done the right thing at the right time. They’ve splashed out and got some good players in.”

“I honestly believe Newcastle will now start to climb up the table.” “This isn’t bias, and you might just think I’m sticking up for the north-east here, but I think Sam Allardyce will keep Sunderland up as well.”

“I think the teams above them at the bottom of the table are weaker so I think they will definitely escape.”

And in Steve McClaren´s press conference today for the game at Everton tomorrow night he was also very upbeat and said things were buzzing and with players coming back from injury the squad should be getting stronger in the next few weeks.

Steve says he thinks the squad is good enough to survive and that it is a very good squad.

We hope that;s true because Steve has been upbeat before – but we have to start getting some wins.

A win at Everton is exactly what we need and the fans are split almost exactly three ways on what the result will be.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Everton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toonsend // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Revvin’ up your engine
    Listen to her howlin’ roar
    Metal under tension
    Beggin’ you to touch and go

Highway to the Danger Zone
    Ride into the Danger Zone

Headin’ into twilight
    Spreadin’ out her wings tonight
    She got you jumpin’ off the deck
    And shovin’ into overdrive

Highway to the Danger Zone
    I’ll take you
    Right into the Danger Zone

They never say hello to you
    Until you get it on the red line overload
    You’ll never know what you can do
    Until you get it up as high as you can go

Out along the edge
    Is always where I burn to be
    The further on the edge
    The hotter the intensity

Highway to the Danger Zone
    I’m gonna take you
    Right into the Danger Zone
    Highway to the Danger Zone
    Right into the Danger Zone

• 2 anthc // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM

There is a good possibility we will go down unless we start picking up points starting tomorrow.
    I don’t think we’ll win tomorrow but wba is a must win.

• 3 firebug666 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:18 PM

See Ed’s woke up again.

Repost

OP

I too feel sorry for them hahah hehe, I think it’s awful hehehe the way their owner has hahahaha treated the fans te hehe.

But they mocked us, laughed at us and were… well just darn right nasty to us when we went down.

He who laughs last, my side will be aching all next season, and I may even visit their blog (if they have one) to personally offer them my commiserations.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Phew, what a relief. Thanks Freddy.

• 5 firebug666 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Ibiza

Hello mate hows things, hope all is well, some favourable results tonight, so lets get a win tomorrow eh!

• 6 lesh // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Phew! That’s a relief Freddy.

• 7 lochinvar // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Apart from Bournemouth getting a result at Palace ( thanks Pards ) tonights results weren’t too bad for us so its up to us to put some results together.

Will be interested to see if the FA charge Defoe for use of the elbow – Sky thought it should have been a red….that could be bad news for the Mackems if that happens

• 8 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Hi Firebug, doing well thanks. Hope all is good with the Friebug household too.

As always, we’ll have to see if NUFC can help themselves tomorrow, we’ve been given a chance, but will we take it?

As Freddy says though, we wont go down, so does it even matter? Heck, they could just take tomorrow off.

• 9 Belfast // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Looks like Pardew is preparing another one of his record runs.

• 10 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Lesh…I think we should go with “great minds”, how about you?

• 11 WWSBRD // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM

6 points in the next 2 games, nee bother lads

• 12 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM

We need to get into Everton early play a 451 and crowd them in midfield they play the same every week so you need to have 3 in the middle and stop Barry passing

The home fans will then get on their backs as recently when I have watched them the crowd are shouting at Stones etc to stop them passing it about

Is Tiote or Colback fit to play beside Shelvey?

• 13 Jib // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Fat Freddy is right for once

Bye the bye in my “discussions” with the strutting buffoon Mr Tuff I came across this which may interest some folk.
    His dad Kamel is on the left his mam is reading next to him.
    The Ben Arfa’s looking at Hatems first contract (with Lyon)

• 14 lesh // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Ibiza

I swear that the similarity between our two posts is coincidental.

Spooky but true. Honest.

• 15 optimistic prime // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Firebug

It’s not so much I feel sorry, it’s more shock the way they have gave up.

• 16 will die for the toon army // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Tomorrow i am already biting my nails. I know we will have a good performance which we always do.

Mitro is starting so am thinking of his missed chances everytime i go to bed.

Townsend should start and be subed on 60 mins for Perez.

We should start winning and have some consistence.

• 17 lesh // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:28 PM

That’s it Ibiza, great (albeit cynical) minds

• 18 firebug666 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Ibiza

I think they have had enough time off this season, they only just started working a couple of weeks ago.

Freddy has given me a serious dilemma though. If he put’s his house on them staying up, do I want them to, or Can I flog Freddy my old tent?

It’s a difficult one!

We are all well here marra thanks, the missus has found some of her Turkish childhood school friends on facebook and has been talking to them all night so it rather peaceful, I look for some more for her tomorrow before the match starts.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Lesh… 🙂

• 20 lesh // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Toonsend

What’s Born to be Wild got to do with Freddy? Or was it playing before the shooting?

• 21 expatmag // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:32 PM

In my opinion, if we dont win at least 6 of our remaining games and include Sunderland at home and Norwich away in those victories, we will go down.

I am hoping that the likes of WBA and palace get drawn into the fight. I would love it if Palace went down.

We need at least 4 out of 6 points this weekend and MUST beat WBA at the very very least.

• 22 will die for the toon army // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM

My team for Everton:
    Elliott
    Janmatt-Mbemba-Colo-Dummett
    Tiote-Colback
    Sissoko-Wijnaldum-Townsend
    Mitrovic
    Subs:
    Darlow, Lasceles, Saviet, Colback, Aarons, Perez, Doumbia

• 23 Ibizatoon // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Jib…Are they reading his place of birth off his birth certificate? If only there was a mirror on the wall.

Firebug…Seems a bizarre approach to getting some free time (signing up the wife for online dating…), but hey, if it works!

I have to admit, I was sceptical towards Freddys comments, but now Jib has backed them up I feel it’s time to remortgage the house and get down the bookies.

How much for the old tent? Keep in mind he can probably get a decent discount at SD from Mike.

• 24 will die for the toon army // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:37 PM

I have never been on this much pressure. I know we signed but it might backfire on us.

15 games are very few. We need to win 9 of those games and draw 1. That is hard for Mcca.

• 25 expatmag // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Tomorrow, we need to stop the supply line to Lukaku and that means nan marking Barkley out of the game much in the same way we kept Payet quiet recently and most of all, double up on Delafeou and stop his crosses .

Once done and if Doumbia is available, hit them on the break using the pace of Sissoko, Townsend, Doumbia and Wijnaldum.

• 26 firebug666 // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM

OP

It was shocking, and what exactly does he think Garde is going to do with that squad and no incoming players?

Some of these owners need shooting, what is the FA ruling for a fit and proper owner? Must be able to afford the club and the necessary backhanders to the FA?

Fans, any fans pay hard earned money to go and watch these teams, and the FA should be making sure they get what the pay for.

PS I do not condone shooting football club owners.

• 27 TastyyyGingerLUKE // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Sat with my mum watching Norwich vs Tottenham (She is a Canary), Norwich dont look like a team that has the passion or work rate of a premier league club. Newcastle (i am a magpie) on the other hand, look like they want to stay up. Wijnaldum is key for our success. If we pick up points against Everton and West Brom (i believe we can win) we can try to keep climbing the table and strive to get at least top 12 or more. I love being a Newcastle fan, watching them on the telly at St James is something very special. The atmosphere and crowd. The players. We cant go down. And we wont!

• 28 will die for the toon army // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Looked at our remaining fixtures are winnable games no excuse. Its jst man city at Home.

So Mcca has to build momentum

• 29 will die for the toon army // Feb 2, 2016 at 10:50 PM

We are together as a team and we have to stay that way.

Players should for NUFC. We have been losing recently but we keep fighting

• 30 Toon Tang // Feb 2, 2016 at 11:35 PM

WIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBBBAAAAARRRRRRRRR

• 31 isleofmanman // Feb 3, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Take anything Freddy says with a pinch of salt

I respect his love of the club, but it was his stupidity in routinely sacking our managers which led to a lack of any continuity and top managers avoiding us like the plague

We will be better. But it may well come too late. This cash should have been spent last summer

previous post: Is This Proof Newcastle Are Now A More Ambitious Club?

next post: Steve McClaren Gives Positive Injury Update