The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Man Was A Hero Last Night

3:09 pm, Thursday, February 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 28 Comments

Rob Elliot showed all the fight and passion you expect from a Newcastle players last night and the 29 year-old was again our Man of the Match as he had another excellent game as his star continues to rise both at Newcastle and in the Premier League.

But for Rob, who made a number of inspired saves last night, the score could have been a  lot worse than 3-0 – although 3-0 was bad enough – especially when out goal difference is so poor.

rob Elliot everton 3-0

Rob Elliot great save in second half

Rob deserves enormous credit that he kept his concentration and form in another excellent display in the Newcastle goal, as those around him really struggled.

Second in the voting was new boy Henri Saivet who looked good in the first half and added some skill and energy to Newcastle’s midfield – but then he was replaced for tactical reasons early in the second half.

It was a promising display from the newcomer.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Everton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Henri Saivet · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Rob Elliot

28 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 mattyNUFC // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM

so does anyone know whether dummet was injured or was pulling him off for aarons another stroke of tactical genius by macca?

• 3 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Ha Ha ha ha ha (mackem laugh for those who don’t post often)

• 4 reilly // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM

elliot over krul evey day of the week for me.much better all round keeper than krul.

• 5 mattyNUFC // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:14 PM

if elliot doesnt get player of the season for us it would be a travesty

• 6 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Funny how much ire is drawn when the argument is focused on Ashley. Yet look at what this club has been like while he’s owned it. FFS was operating at the top level of his financial capability with us, he was extremely flawed and as greedy as any rich businessman. But Ashley is fabulously wealthy by any standards, if we were his passion, we wouldn’t be anywhere near the bottom of this league.

• 7 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Let’s face it, Elliot is getting a lot of battle training. He’s bound to get better at his job.

• 8 Mister Tuff // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Who are the people who were full of glee at the result last night?

• 9 martoon // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM

The thing that disappointed me the most was that we’d 1.5 weeks to prepare and yet we looked like we had no system and were bereft of ideas. I blame McClaren for this and the team selection didn’t help!

• 10 magscar // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM

I posted awhile ago the phrase that ” when you are up to your ar$e in crocodiles you forget the object was to drain the swamp”. I think that is the point now.

By the by where did the Ashley out campaign disappear to after their massive victories . I blame them for not completing the job 🙂 🙂 🙂 and not to forget ha ha

• 11 bettyswallocks // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Tsunki…… I replied on previous thread. I do agree that some of Ashley’s appointments beggar belief . I think it’s gradually dawning on him that he can’t run a football club like a sports retail empire.

Whilst there appear to be changes being made for the better although not yet showing on the pitch, I intend to pray we stay up and then wait and see what develops in the summer. Others of course have their own views and agendas

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM

His save to keep out Barkley’s strike was world class. Did very well for our very own Shelvey’s header aswell haha.

I’v warmed to this player Elliot. Well done.

• 13 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM

The Ashley Out campaign fizzled out after an infamous video, a lifesaving performance by a couple of players against West ham, and the appointing if a revolutionary all-singing and all – dancing coaching team. I think though that it can be revived again. It just needs the handbrake of disdain and defeatism releasing. It will probably be around the time of relegation or a near miss. Again. Cue the circus.

• 14 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Betty – I’m not and never will be one of those that revel in misery and wish for relegation, the opposite in fact. I still have the hope that we will stay up, albeit through fire.

But I also think that whenever putting Ashley under pressure becomes a must, it will not be at a good or convenient time. There may have to be pain from the operation before the benefit is seen.

• 15 mattyNUFC // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:36 PM

tsunki @ 7

i feel like you’re belittling just how fantastic elliot has been for us. miles ahead of krul imo, and that has to do with his consistency. krul does not have that trait. also, to claim someone will get better the more they play, what then do you make of gouffran? guti on left mid? dummet? bramble? boumsong? makes no sense. you either have a ceiling that is sufficient for this league, or you don’t

• 16 Mag52 // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Rotonda.(previous post)

As usual you only give part of the story.
    You omit the fact that AP took the Hammers to a Cup final, losing on penalties to Liverpool, while in the season we finished 16th, we got to the quarter finals of the Europa Cup.
    Long way from doing that sort of thing at the moment aren’t we ?

• 17 mattyNUFC // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:42 PM

holy sh*t people.

get over AP already. can we all just agree he’s a crap manager but macca is just that bit worse? enough already

• 18 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Matty join the Tsunki bashing Mob 🙂 I’m not belittling Elliot. I’ve not bashed him like many have, if at all. I’d say his kicking and throwing is better than Kruls. But yesterday it was awful, it’s got worse, I don’t know what’s happening in that training area. And the frock about bring battle hardened is just that. As for Gouffran and Jonas got shell shocked and invalided out thanks to Pardew hoying them in front line week in week out. The others were cannon fodder.

And I don’t fall into the trap that by absence or injury Krul has turned crap. He’s still a good goalie, and a better international goalie on his day than Elliot. They are both bargains though.

• 19 MadisonToon // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:45 PM

I wasn’t able to catch more than the first 15 minutes of the match. The highlights don’t paint a pretty picture, although the Mitro miss at 1-0 was pretty damning (although maybe I should be getting used to it).

Did we look good anywhere aside from Elliot? Did we have any real possession? Did Sissoko turn up? What about Gini? I expected that they would have a good showing as I had thought they’d be more likely to play well when surrounded by renewed energy and higher quality players.

• 20 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Besides Matty, you’re saying that match practice at the top level is no good for sharpening a player. Tsk tsk.

• 21 magscar // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Who would have thought that an old buffoon like Bishop with his threadbare tactics and misdirection could have bamboozled such a cynical group fresh from their ousting of Pardew into a brave new world mode. You live and learn. Won’t get fooled again then Eh?

• 22 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Mansion there was a spell early in the second half. A spell. But we lost possession cheaply one too many times and the wind dropped out of our sails same as usual.

• 23 Tsunki // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Magscar I concur that Bishop earned his corn. I think he even has a disciple or two roving social media to dampen down opinion. If he is as clever as Mike thinks he is (convinced him to do that video) he would.

• 24 magscar // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:52 PM

On Elliot he has been a revelation and we should have genuine competition when Krul is back which is always good as long as it isn’t turn about. Where does that leave Darlow with Woodman coming up fast?

• 25 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Madisontoon you didn’t really miss anything, if you watched the game against Watford it was very similar. Everton wernt particularly good looked very nervous in there play, we were just worse. Had abit of possession in the middle and a few sideways passes but nothing in their third of the pitch. Be harsh to pick out sissoko and wiji for not turning up as none of the players looked any good other than Elliot. Janmaat wasn’t too bad but him and sissoko got closed down by several players and pushed out the game, the rest of then might as well of not been on the pitch. Perez put the effort in but was lost up top with no support. The only other player who didn’t look too bad was saivet who got taken off early… Poor tactics and a poor performance all round, if it wasn’t for Elliot could of easily been 5 or 6.

• 26 toon kk // Feb 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM

I have to say that was some of the biggest dross I’ve seen from any football team for a while, and last time I saw a team play so poor yes it was from us!

I know Macca’s tactics were terrible but every player should hang there heeds in shame.
    We looked as if we’d never trained for months and were totally unfit.

I will judge us after our next game, but if that shower of lazy fkrs survive I’ll astonished.

• 27 neverwin // Feb 4, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I really wish McClaren would find some backbone and resign.
    He is useless – no question.

• 28 toonaus // Feb 5, 2016 at 6:58 AM

I feel so sorry for Rob Elliot he is the only player playing consistent football week in week out he has real spirit and I only wish every one else in the team put in a shift like him every week.

I really can not understand how you can’t get some sort of consistent football happening by now. Clearly their are 3 men who must go Macca, Carr and Charnley 3 useless muppets who continue to lead the horses into the water to drown.

I think they need to bring in a specialist to talk with the players and change their mindset of how they approach games mentally, something has to be done this is just getting way out of hand now. Another thing that should happen is more team bonding how do you think Leicester are doing so well because every body has a real team bond and their state of mind is healthy.

Macca really needs to go now

previous post: Angry Captain Pulls No Punches Following Shocker