The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

This Is Newcastle’s Best Team For West Brom

10:06 pm, Friday, February 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 99 Comments

We do have a number of injuries – Chancel Mbemba, Paul Dummett and Jack Colback are all out for tomorrow’s game and we also have players like Siem de Jong, Kevin Mbabu, Vurnon Anita, Sadio Haidara, Gabby Obertan and of course Tim Krul still out.

Again we are being ravaged by injury as we are every season and people are still calling it bad luck?

So it looks for the second game in three that we are short of defenders and players in general – and of course Jamaal Lascelles is unavailable when he made matters worse by getting himself sent off in the last minute of the 3-0 disaster on Wednesday night at Goodison Park.

paul dummett training gear

Paul Dummett – another hamstring injury

There is not much choice for left back – and we would assume that Rolando Aarons will play there again tomorrow and in will come Steven Taylor at center-back for his first game since late August as he has now finally recovered from his hamstring problem

We don’t think Seydou Doumbia is fit enough to start because he trained today for the first time according to Steve McClaren.

Here’s the possible best team we can field for tomorrow

Elliot
Janmaat Taylor Coloccini (c) Aarons
Sissoko Saivet Shelvey Townsend
Wijnaldum
Perez
Subs: Darlow Tiote Gouffran Mitrovic Doumbia Riviere U21 player

The subs bench is not going to be strong and we ran out of fit players, so presumably an U21 player will make the bench, although having three strikers on there also seems strange.

For such a critical game how come we are again so ridiculously short of players?

And watching Steve McClaren’s  press conference today it’s not clear to us that Steve fully understands the gravity of the situation Newcastle are in – and he reiterated the squad was too strong to be relegated and we’d try to win against a very good West Brom side.

So let’s get the win then!

What would your team be for tomorrow?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Brom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Please see if you can help get 30 year-old life-long Newcastle fan Alfath to fulfil his dream and visit St. James’ Park – click here.

Tags: Injuries · Newcastle News · Poll · Prediction · Premier League

99 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:08 PM

We are ridiculously short of players because we never buy any defenders. We prefer to waste our money on useless French midfielders by the half dozen. Harrumph. Is that curmudgeonly enough for you lot?

• 2 Ian Toon // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:14 PM

One Aussie who wasn’t out before lunch.

• 3 Ian Toon // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Win double Toon to beat WBA and England to beat Scotland.

• 4 The Diamond dogs hoojars // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:17 PM

I’d go:
    Elliot
    Janmaat-Taylor-Coloccini-Aarons
    Townsend-Shelvey-Colback-Wijnaldum
    Doumbia-Mitrovic

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Surely Aaron’s can’t play. Tiote could play CB.

• 7 Wayayman // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Carver on 5live tonight saying that he always thought we needed defenders for the 5 years he was at the club. He said they were crying out for a big CD and a left back. Just shows you that no one with any football brain is in charge at the club. Unbelievable.

• 8 The Diamond dogs hoojars // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Let’s not be too hard on Aarons, he hasn’t had much footie but in my opinion he’s a goodun.

• 9 beermonkey // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Wayayman

but did he say anything and did pards feel the same

• 10 nightfa11 // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:30 PM

elliot
    janmaat colo mbemba townsend
    saviet shelvey

perez wini aarons
    doumbia/mitro

• 11 Howay50 // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Maclaren is as clueless as a nun’s fanny and if three points aren’t secured tomorrow he has to go, otherwise we are going down.

• 12 Howay50 // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Steve Mac has as much tactical nouse as a nun’s fanny. Seriously, we continue to be the laughing stock in world football and we will be playing championship football unless that joker is sacked tomorrow.

• 13 geordiestuckinleeds // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Mitro just has to play tomorrow, not just to hold the ball up but to defend free kicks.. wba goal back post is almost guaranteed

• 14 ToonMatt // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:49 PM

What a complete shambles! 3rd worst defence in the league with a month to reinforce the back four and they don’t sign anyone? Ashley finally decides to spend the last nine years profits on new players and leaves it up to a couple of halfwits like Charnley and McClaren? We deserve to go down!!

• 15 firebug666 // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Coloccini injured?

McClaren is under pressure following the 3-0 midweek defeat at Everton and another loss tomorrow afternoon will send alarm bells ringing inside the boardroom.

His cause isn’t helped by a defensive crisis which leaves him with no recognised left-back.

And Starsport can reveal that skipper Fabricio Coloccini picked up an injury during the defeat at Goodison Park which would normally rule him out.

But with Jamaal Lascelles banned, Chancel Mbemba out for up to a month and both Paul Dummett and Jack Colback missing, McClaren has no choice but to send out his crocked skipper.

I’m not sure anyone will notice!

• 16 Vest // Feb 5, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Elliot
    Janmaat. Colo. Saylor. Aarons.
    shelvey
    Sissoko. Wijnaldum. Townsend
    Mitro. Doumbia.

• 17 JAMSHA // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM

41% think we gona win lol…..

• 18 JAMSHA // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:22 PM

aarons As LB Realy? Are U Pardew

• 19 JAMSHA // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:23 PM

i would put some 1 from u21 as lB

• 20 Toon Tang // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Could do with some more down-votes lads. Reginald winbar had his way with us on Wed again and its looking like a similar story unfolding for Sat.

Think hard before voting.

Kindest regards,

Frankie Sidebottom

• 21 Tsunki // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:34 PM

it’s just a big relief that Mr Ashley has put our money where his mouth is.

• 22 Tsunki // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Don’t let winbar fool you into a false sense of security.

• 23 Toon Tang // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Leicester will do ManCity tomorrow, mark my words. When they do they’ll go on to win the prem. You heard it here first and probably last

• 24 Tsunki // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:39 PM

Leicester in champions league next year. Think about it Mike. Leicester in champions league next year. How do you think they did that Mike? How?

• 25 Toon Tang // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:39 PM

Haha it’s duped many a reveller. Looks so warm and inviting and then pooowwww swift elbow to the plums of our beloved team.

• 26 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM

We should retain our trophy, awarded for being the biggest laughing stock in world football, with no trouble at all this season. Spending the most, dropping the hardest. We blow every other club out of the water.

• 27 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Jamsha
    Which u21?

• 28 Toon Tang // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:47 PM

BB, we’re consistent at least 😀

• 29 Belfast // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Yeah don’t mention the winbar still time to rectify it. If one of the multiple folk could hmmmm get involved it would be a great help.

• 30 Belfast // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:49 PM

Only a fifty votes swing

• 31 Toon Tang // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Hahaa one multiple could easily sort that 50 swing eh

• 32 Toon Tang // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM

I’d do it myself but aint got the brain power or tactical nous

• 33 Belfast // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Four more win votes after I said that you useless sods haha

• 34 Belfast // Feb 5, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Vote for a loss you rakers

• 35 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Voted a loss but I’m only allowed one persona these days so sorry can’t help. Looks like winbar has it.

• 36 Online Guy // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:02 AM

This Blog has descended into farce.

I want this Townsend idiot banned ..and his IP address noted ..and also any multiples he uses Banned ..Your answering him and responding to him and he feeds off that ..ignore him until I get rid of him ..the Blog has now become a haven for Childish Behaviour and Childish people

Townsend is the final straw for me …ruined any morsel of credibility the site had left ..

Ban the Idiot ED . now.

• 37 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:04 AM

Childish behaviour online guy? Ha says you smelly poopy pants…..

• 38 Toon Tang // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:04 AM

Will that cobbled defence of ours hold it together when Pulis brings on his lost boy or what. Written in the stars for him to bag at some point eh

• 39 Belfast // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:05 AM

Could you not give pokat another turn?
    It’s for a good cause….

• 40 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:05 AM

Personally I think it’s appalling I was never informed when the blog ascended into farce in the first place.

• 41 JP...from The Rock // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:05 AM

With each passing day it’s getting clearer that we will be relegated. We have no depth in defense and the amount of injured players we have is insane! And it happens every season. Our slight amount of luck has run out. We’re doomed as tomorrow we’ll get shafted at home.

I see nothing but a huge loss to hammer another nail to our coffin sadly.

• 42 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM

Belfast don’t tempt me

• 43 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM

it’s all roses and whistle a happy tune with you JP.

• 44 JP...from The Rock // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Tsunki-I am depressed mate. Hope for the better has kept watching this shite but we’re not getting better but worse. I am still eager to see the game tomorrow for some reason but I can’t think we will survive this hell. I wish we will but I just can’t see it.

• 45 Belfast // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Online guy I once asked the moderator of the other blog why they didn’t have said problem and was told they ban them, so it obviously isn’t that difficult to do.

• 46 Belfast // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:11 AM

Blog legend status buys you contacts skunki ya see not that you’d know.

• 47 Toon Tang // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Ed’s probs on a traffic deal with these advertisers and would lose around 98% of hits with no multiples so doubt we’ll see it in our lifetime.

• 48 Toon Tang // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:16 AM

Anyways fellow blog botherers. Im off to dream of dark and troubling things whilst being watched from the corner of my room by Reginald.

Until the game…

• 49 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Ed has done the business.

• 50 Online Guy // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:33 AM

This site is in serious need of moderation ..We need to comment on the environment that we write in ..its farcical right now , it has descended into a playground for Idiots ..attracting more idiots ..75% (imho) on here are decent writers and people ..you don’t have to stand by and watch the site being slowly taken over by idiots with no other Agenda than to abuse and annoy

Please ..email ED, and while your on ask him to publish the multiple names that Toonsend operates under ..I think I just woke someone up with my previous post .. !

admin@nufcblog.com

• 51 Premiership Manager // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:41 AM

I hope McClaren realises he picked the wrong starting line up in the last two matches. Perez and Mitro have to start and Townsend would be our best option for Left Back. I thought he had a reasonable game last week and was impressed with his willingness to track back and defend.

Shelvey is another matter. In the last two matches his contribution has been negligible. He doesn’t run, stands off players and walks waiting for the ball to be passed to his feet. For me he should be dropped, told to get his act together and Tiote should start with Saviet to control the midfield.

It’s great having attacking players but you need a balance in midfield and somebody to break down play and protect the defense.

Hopefully Doumbia will get some playing time either up front or on the wing. Just hope we don’t get any more injuries. It’ll also be good to see Taylor back in the team, just hope he has a good game as we could use him in West Broms box .

I don’t want to see a new manager as it will be tens steps back however any further back and we will be going down.

• 52 Online Guy // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:44 AM

Morning Mr Tuff, always reassuring to see your name up on the big screen here ..Had to get rid of Toonsend mind ..he was making me feel like I was visiting a site for Juvenile delinquents .

.I can put up with loads of crap and probably posted some crap myself in the past but the Toonsend Poster was making me feel dirty.

first time I have ever sqwitted (there’s an old word spelt wrong ) on anyone on here .. He was really dragging the site down and making it a childish environment to visit ..it really makes you want to not bother …. Anyway Im hoping i have unearthed another multiple poster and Iv asked ED to Publish his other Names…Cheers Tuff

Last word on it ..there’s Banter and there’s Banter ..

• 53 ochytoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:45 AM

Online Guy
    We were screaming for moderation five or so years ago but to no avail. A lot of the better posters left a long time ago and this site is nothing but trolls and sh1t-posting now. There are a couple of better forums than this for Newcastle discussion these days anyway.

• 54 Online Guy // Feb 6, 2016 at 12:54 AM

Ochy , I’m on a crusade having just read your post ..this is a good site with good intention.. but outlandish trouble makers, firstly, should be totally ignored and never responded to other than reporting the dummys to Ed.

It will send out a message to people with an Agenda for spoiling and trouble making on a site ..this site , not to bother.

I don’t mind a few idiots having a laugh but when I see absolute Clown’s attracting Clown’s I don’t want to visit and join in .

• 55 ochytoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:06 AM

Online Guy
    I hear you man and good luck to you. You’re right, the good intentions of this site are clear for all to see, but the quality of comments has hit rock bottom for me and it’s one of the reasons I very rarely post these days. I know there are still some good posters and a couple of the older lot are still here I believe (JB and WWSBRD come to mind) but I feel like you have to sift through a lot of crap (mackems, trolls, users with multiple accounts, etc.) and I really can’t be bothered anymore.

• 56 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM

OG -Earlier today Ed banned that Jonjo and later tonight he’s banned that Toonsend.
    There was another new one posting song lyrics tonight don’t know if he’s another.

• 57 Bri // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:13 AM

Don’t agree with that team Ed, we need to score goals.
    So for me it has to be doum and mitro upfront, Siss,Shelv,Gini and Towns across the middle and whatever back four but not Arrons as that would be cruel on him.

• 58 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:13 AM

OG have you heard of Chico and the Gypsies – French band – latin pop/rock.

• 59 Online Guy // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Ochy I feel the same way as you mate…Mind I feel a little cleaner if its true that Toonsend has been banned ..I could ignore his posts but the site was populated with comments back at him and he was getting the response he wanted ..therefore as you and I know all we were reading as we scrolled down the page was crap , thus turning the site into an embarrassment to be part of..I started to bypass it and then I thought ..do something about it .

If we all partake in a bit of moderation we can get rid of the idiots that drag it down, and make it ..once again..a place for decent comment.

Mind I like a bit of carry on and a bit of larking about but when you are faced with absolute idiots attracting idiots, it makes you not want to be part of it.

I think its sorted now.

• 60 Online Guy // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:25 AM

Tuff

Chico I did not know about ..but I just checked them out and I would love them to play at any party I had ..brilliant.

Tuff ………..Check out CoCo and the Butterfields

• 61 Online Guy // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:26 AM

Off to kip worrying about wor back four . nite all

• 62 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 1:39 AM

OG you’ll probably get this in the morning. Was on holis at Carcassonne in August September with the tribe.
    In one of the public squares they were setting up a stage etc for a concert that night -Chico and the Gypsies – I hadn’t heard of them and hadn’t seen as much stage gear for a long time – clearly no mugs.
    Nipped off and returned later on -free concert in the Square -few thousand there -families. One of the best night outs I’ve had. Chico and the Gypsies were tremendous -great stage act.
    Was part of “Spanish Week” so a Spanish theme -Food and drinks from stalls all around the square.
    All for free -great night out.

• 63 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 2:18 AM

Ah we’ll see about that – thank you for confirming you’re another personna of the idiots.

• 64 bladeuser // Feb 6, 2016 at 2:50 AM

TOONBROTHERS COLO
    I d rather u kept posting so bloggers can c just how boring and pointless u r
    Another scumberland loser with nothing better to do who is envious of all things Newcastle has to offer over your cess pit town
    ASH OUT SMAC OUT COLO OUT SHEEP ? OUT

• 65 jimmysmith // Feb 6, 2016 at 2:54 AM

Aarons on a hiding to nothing at left back.

He is an out and out attack minded player. A winger of substantial promise, but young, immature, and almost entirely lacking in experience in the position, or even the first team. Surely it only really works if we play 5 across the back and two holding mids and no wingers. Wouldn’t the more experienced and willing Gouffran be better in a flat back four?

The club could have brought back Santon of course, and despite outrageously and shortsightedly offloading him in the first place, didn’t.

And so as things stand our current left back shortage could easily cost us badly needed points against Brom. Who under Pulis will of course be disciplined and dangerous on the counter.

• 66 Benwell Boy // Feb 6, 2016 at 2:57 AM

Wouldn’t it make more sense to play Saivet at LB as he is a former winger playing defensive midfield?

• 67 ToonUnder // Feb 6, 2016 at 2:57 AM

I would go 433

Shelvey, saivet, Winjaldum
    Perez, Douambia, Townsend

Defence will just have to be who’s available.

Can take Saivet off and mitrovic on and go 442 if required

• 68 Laurent Robert The Legend // Feb 6, 2016 at 3:01 AM

Are you nuts playing perez up top again? Didn’t you watch the game at everton when we were distroyed having nobody to hold the ball up?
    Also wd be better to give a chance to someone from under21 defence rather than aarons..this you picked is infact the worst team to start with..best team wd be..
    Elliot
    Janmaat taylor 🙁 coloccini 🙁 under21 player/goofy
    Saviet shevelvey
    Sissoko. Townsend/perez
    Mitro

• 69 sing in the corner // Feb 6, 2016 at 3:22 AM

Surely this is the the most simple team selection of all for SM. There is no choice,we have to score several goals today. Everton result is what happens if we try to sit back, not picking a striker. For me the major question is who plays central with Shelvey. It would be Colback,without a second thought,for me but he’s not available. So probably Saivet or Wij.
    Conjure a result here and we have a merciful break just round the corner. Medical miracles to be performed.
    Hope rather than judgement says Mitro will turn his corner and score some priceless goals. I think he’s been grafting hard for it, I think he cares and will come good. It’s amazing what a couple of goals will do for his confidence. Townsend to find his feet with the home crowd behind him.
    HWTL
    The hugest game of all.
    Aren’t they all now?

• 70 La Fée Verte // Feb 6, 2016 at 4:01 AM

Elliot
    Janmaat Taylor Coloccini (c) Saivet
    Townsend Sissoko Shelvey Aarons
    Wijnaldum
    Doumbia

• 71 jimmysmith // Feb 6, 2016 at 4:36 AM

Saivet can apparently play on either wing also, along with DM, although why we would play him ahead of Tiote escapes me.

So…..
    …………………………Elliot
    Janmaat…….Taylor…..Collocini…….Saivet
    ……………………….Tiote
    …….Sissoko………Shelvey……….Townsend
    …………………..Widjnaldum
    ………………….Mitrovic

• 72 chicousa // Feb 6, 2016 at 4:51 AM

jimmysmith
    I like that starting 11 and formation. However I am reading mixed reports on Kevin Mbabu’s availability…. he could be back and if healthy would start him at LB and move Saivet to DM

• 73 Toon_Barmy // Feb 6, 2016 at 5:22 AM

Aarons LB and Perez lone striker were the two worst calls of the lot on Wednesday. Ironic that we are struggling to field a defence after not pushing for cover in Jan. I’d bench Perez in all honesty

• 74 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 6, 2016 at 5:57 AM

Tiote pretty much has to start given our defensive issues. He should be a regular anyway when he is fit. That free’s up both Shelvey and Gini a little more, which is the only way we would get the bet from both.

Not a huge fan of 3 at the back, but I’m not sure we have a huge range of options at the moment. Aaron’s shouldn’t be played full back, or wing back. Townsend and Saivet wing backs. Janmaat, Colo Saylor the 3 centre halves. Mitro and Doumbia up top.

None of that really fills me with confidence, and it will require actual positional discipline from Janmaat.

If Mbabu is fit to play as some of the rumours are saying then he starts left back, in a flat back 4. Tiote should still be in though, which likely means 1 up top, or Gini pushed wide replacing Sissoko or Townsend. I’d rather Gini went to the right than left, at least that way Gini can still stretch the defence by going on the outside, but also can cut into the back stick when we attack down the left.

• 75 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:04 AM

The only other real option is to turn to one of the U21’s. Sterry has been the closest to first team, and he could play right back switching Janmaat to the left. It again would likely mean switching Sissoko out as the youngster would need a bit ore protection out there.

• 76 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:05 AM

I am 99% certain that McClaren will go with something different from any of those options though.

• 77 The overrated Frenchman // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:22 AM

I look at all these possible starting line-ups and I just don’t see a winning team anywhere. The January signings leave me cold. McClaren’s selections and tactics have been flawed all season. Apart from Elliott there isn’t a single player that you can be sure is going to turn up and put in a shift. It’s a nightmare.

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:37 AM

Sun reporting Liam Gibson could be in line to come into the squad. Not really up to speed on him. Sun says he models himself on Jordi Alba…..

• 79 santoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:41 AM

should put saviet in lb since he used to be a LM and now a CDM and then can put tiote back in the midfield

• 80 davis_toons // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:48 AM

McClaren will not drop Shelvey. Even if he is not playing well.

The only reason we get him in is to spread play, ball distribution.

McClaren must be able to make hard decision or he needs to go.

• 81 davis_toons // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:51 AM

I hope against WBA at home McClaren can show us what he is capable to do at least a draw followed by some win in 5 games.

• 82 Dukis22lt // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:57 AM

# 80 Jimmysmith – totally agree with your picked team. I’d also wanna see Saivet given that LB spot and Tiote reinstalled at CDM.

• 83 davis_toons // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:03 AM

Aaron will be our weakest link but if you can give good instructions to the professional player they will have to stick to their job.

Is down to McClaren.

• 84 chewbaccy // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:07 AM

All very well picking sides to play but what will he do?
    for me its his last chance saloon

• 85 chewbaccy // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:08 AM

And there are more than Shelvey that require dropping Sissoko for starters

• 86 sing in the corner // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:13 AM

Thankfully Baggies have lots of injury concerns too,and aren’t scoring goals.
    I will be heartened if we start the game on the front foot and just go for it,whatever happens.
    But…
    I don’t want to contemplate Sod’s law and a certain unruly / huffy little WBA striker too long though.

• 87 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:13 AM

If Tiote is fit and his heed is in the right place McLaren has got to play in front of a weak back four. got know defensive cover – bit like Wednesday night – had a huge hole in front of the defence which Everton exploited.
    And if Shelvey plays like he did Wednesday night – looked like his thoughts were why the F**k did I move playing for a basket case. Mind you Sissoko and Winjanum weren’t much better.

Not hopeful for today

• 88 sing in the corner // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:15 AM

Take WBA out of the equation and go all out offensive from the off.

• 89 chewbaccy // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Mclaren shouting more rubbish to the press
    ffs its your job to motivate the team not tell them the opposition are tremendous you thicko

• 90 sing in the corner // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:30 AM

Chew achy
    I never watch pre match press conferences. Laden with claptrap and cliches. They say the same things week in week out, in a different order. Actions not words! No more sicophants!

• 91 sing in the corner // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:31 AM

Oops! Chewbaccy..

• 92 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:43 AM

I disagree on Tiote he has shown absolutely nothing the last couple of seasons that warrants a starting place.

Saivet should be rewarded with a starting place. I expected Tiote to be sold so I would be surprised if he takes up a starting place unless McC’s hands are forced.

• 93 magscar // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:21 AM

I would normally opt for a young LB ( Liam Gibson) but not sure how ready he would be given how big this game is and with Saylor just returning.

We haven’t fared well going 3 at back so presume McClaren will go for a 4 and he must know whether Gibson can step up. Have some sympathy despite not getting in a loan LB by Sunday as we could have gone with any of Haidara Dummett Colback Mbabu all injured and Lascelles suspended. Goufran would be my gamble rather than Aarons as Townsend can provide width on left.

If Tiote is fit and in right mind I would be tempted to slot him in before Saviet for his experience in side for this game and defence are going to need screening. Shelvey alongside and Sissoko on right. Go with Mitro or Doumbia and with Gini as No 10.

Expect to see Saivet (if doesn’t start) and Perez come on later and 3rd sub could be whoever does start as Striker.

Given McClaren’s side on Wednesday night it could of course be a lot different to what we are all proposing – and that’s why he gets paid the big bucks 😉

• 94 eaststandgeordie1982 // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Elliot
    Janmaat saylor Colo ??
    Townsend saviet gini aarons
    Doumbia Mitro

Sissoko, Shelvey and Perez need to sit out imo, 2 upfront is a must as we are not scoring playing 1 and Mitro needs someone alongside him I think doumbia would make good runs for mitros flick ons.

• 95 Newintoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:27 AM

I’ve read on BBC sport that Mbabu is back in the team. Therefore get rid of Aarons – in fact don’t even put him on the bench after his poor display mid week. Not heard anything about Tiote too? Is he back? Is he likely to figure?

I bet bringing in 3 midfielders and no defenders is going to be a regretful decision. I very much doubt that Doumbia up front will make a shred of difference to our woeful finishing too. Now that we have next to no defenders in the squad the speculation linking us to left backs seems like a real wasted opportunity. I hope that Taylor takes some double strength antihistamine…he is allergic to grass by now I’m sure. It’s sad to think that we actually rely on him in the next few games…come back Williamson!

With Ronald McDonalds formations and playing people out of position I reckon we should stick Elliot up front and see what happens, maybe Mitrovic left back. Seriously poor setup with some better than average players. However, couldn’t score in a brothel and give away goals for fun. Wouldn’t be surprised if we go 2-0 down to West Brom and will be relieved to get a draw with some “outstanding performances!!” My team would be:

Elliot
    Janmaat Taylor Colo Mbabu
    Saivet/Tiote
    Sissoko Shelvey Townsend
    Gini
    Doumbia/Mitrovic

Subs: Perez only…the rest are useless

• 96 eaststandgeordie1982 // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Elliott
    Janmaat saylor Colo mbabu
    Townsend saviet gini arrons
    Doumbia Mitro

With Mitro and doumbia we need proper wingers on

• 97 The overrated Frenchman // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM

It really feels like shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic doesn’t it? Nobody has a clue what our best team/formation/tactics should be, least of all McClaren. It’s an absolute shambles. It really is. One of the biggest clubs in the country and it always seems to be running on a wing and a prayer.

• 98 MassiveG // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Doubt we’ll have no defenders at all on the bench Ed. I hope Aarons is not left back either

• 99 gizatoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:45 AM

What about marveaux at left back

previous post: In A Must-Win Game – Newcastle Will Win