The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren’s BBC Interview – Stand-In Players Were Heroes Today

6:28 pm, Saturday, February 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 89 Comments

steve mcclaren west brom

Steve McClaren today – great performance from Newcastle

Newcastle looked a completely different team from last Wednesday but we still missed far too many chances – that’s our big weakness otherwise we could even be in the top 10 with a great striker in our ranks.

Steve was right to point out that three players who came in today – Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote and Rolando Aarons – were all terrific and we must say we were surprised at just how good young Rolando looked at left back.

Steven Taylor in these crucial games is a Geordie with Newcastle United tattooed across his forehead – and he was simply terrific.

He has his critics – but this lad was fantastic for us today.

Now to keep them both fit!

Cheick Tiote showed why he was surprising preferred to Henri Saivet in central midfield and looked great alongside Jonjo Shelvey today.

His experience and bite could save us in what will likely be his last performances for the club – but if he can save us this season – terrific.

Here’s Steve McClaren’s BBC interview after the game today.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Brom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Please see if you can help get 30 year-old life-long Newcastle fan Alfath to fulfill his dream and visit St. James’ Park – click here.

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press Conference · Video

89 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Saylors hip joint In!

• 3 JAMSHA // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM

just hope saylor remains fit now

• 4 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Just got in
    Excellent display
    as I posted last night had to play Tiote in front of back four
    Mclaren did and he was brilliant
    My MOM
    followed by Taylor and Aarons and Janmaat.
    Also Mitro had his best game in a TOON shirt

• 5 Lindisfarne // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:34 PM

“should have scored more goals”
    Understatement of the season, the look of frustration tthat Shtevie had in the first half was mainly because of the ref. But I wonder if he spoke about how wasteful they were being because they were just the same in the second. Not good coaching.

• 6 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Same old story for poor cheick. Perfectly good goal ruined by ‘ interfering with play ‘. I think mitrovic not getting out of keepers eyeline was the thing this time.

• 7 Lindisfarne // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Tsunki – shake it all about?

• 8 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:36 PM

SM was tearing both his hairs out at janmaat failing to receive a ball from shelvey. He’s right though, we are not concentrating on the basics, tight quick accurate passing.

• 9 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM

I voted for Mitro cos Blackley was at the game and said he was and I trust his judgement.

• 10 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Good start to the 6 Nations for England

• 11 Lindisfarne // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Was the crowd disgruntled by the lack of goals?

• 12 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Lindisfarne no that’s shoals sing don’t start it or he’ll be back as striking trainer.

• 13 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Sholas song

• 14 cestriasteve // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM

He had a good game but was seriously blowing out his bum by the end, he even went over to the physio at about 80 mins for tablets of some description.

You got to love him though, especially when he does the ground level header!!

• 15 Tsunki // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM

He got the ground header off Taylor remember. Speaking of Saylors head, ain’t it going grey now? He’s been out some time but come on…

• 16 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM

February 6, 2016
    Let’s not get carried away now, we played a very lacklustre West Brom that offered absolutely nothing going forward making our defence look better then it probably is. Having said that we look like a much better team when in possession rather then just looking to counter-attack. Shelvey is definately key to our team when we are in possession although he’s not great when we are chasing a team.

• 17 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM

When this season moves on a bit , Janmaat is going to assist Doumbia to so many goals , it won’t be funny!

• 18 Lindisfarne // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Shola the Maccam Slayer!

• 19 NYMAG // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM

I went for Shelvey but probably a tie with Tiote. Still the best defensive midfielder at the club

• 20 NYMAG // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Anyone else notice how much weight Berahino was carrying……

• 21 toon kk // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:47 PM

I thought Doumbia might have had a run out today, his fitness must not be up to speed.

• 22 matt11_25 // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Man .. From poor to dominant. Need to string some wins together and the goals should flood. Great performances across (socks could’ve been better but his movement and passing look better than usual.

Saylor and Tiote had immense games. Good to see the 2 bad boys on combine for a score ?

• 23 matt11_25 // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:50 PM

No emojis I guess but hearty eyes 🙂

• 24 tomellifred360 // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM

• 25 toonicle // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:58 PM

My only critique of Taylor has ever been that he seems made of porcelain, far too many injuries. The games we do get out of him are always reliably good or at the very least no shocking moments that cost us.

• 26 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 6, 2016 at 6:58 PM

NO – it was edge of the seats/squeeky bum time near the end- but – I think the crowd – as I was, more appreciative of the effort they put the chances they created and for the players who came in -Tiote, Taylor and Aarons who had an excellent game at full back after his nightmare at Everton.

Pity we

• 27 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Tiote 30 next June
    Saivet 26 next October
    I hope Cathro said to Henri spend your time on the bench watching no.24 – because that was a bit of a masterclass in DM this afternoon.

• 28 switch365 // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:03 PM

I said Tiote was a liability, guaranted to get a yellow and to give away free-kicks outside the box.

I take it back, fantastic display by him, linked up extremely well with Shelvey.

• 29 toon kk // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Sounds like Tiote was our Motm, I said it was very foolish to want to let him go especially when we’re in a relegation battle.
    Shame I missed the match, great three needed points.

• 30 Thump // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Tiote is at his best when he’s alongside a playmaker – likewise the playmaker will inevitably be at their best when they’re alongside a strong anchor man.

• 31 switch365 // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Disgusted by that interview – “you’ve just got to sit there … and pray”

What kind of management technique is that ffs?
    Stand up, scream and shout at the players and get them to put right what they’re doing wrong!
    No wonder we’ve lost so many games with that kind of attitude from our own manager.

• 32 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Keeping my beady eyes firmly on your dirty tricks Ymfb.

• 33 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Disgusted of Monkseaton

Awwwww — baby did he disgust you – Steve should have maybe lied and said unlike the other 52,000 I was totally confident WBA wouldn’t get a fluke goal because I didn’t want to disgust switch 365.

• 34 Readingmag // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Aarons MOM …think about it

• 35 Toonfan8 // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Is somewhere full match? I couldn´t see the match…

• 36 JamesToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:26 PM

in a few hours time they’ll upload the full match replay on the websit ‘gettyfooty’

• 37 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM

The ex head boy of RGS – Fraser Forster – is turning into some player

• 38 ToonInPlym // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:37 PM

First comment I have been able to post since the match.
    Can I just say, GET IN! What a performance from the lads. Taylor and Colo back together were unbreakable, great how he can come back into the team and have a performance like that is comforting, considering our defensive options at the moment.
    Aarons , better than last match, and as for Janmaat I thought he was the best player on the field, 80% of things came from his jinking runs and he was always first to the ball. Shelvey could walk off that pitch today with his head up and also one finger up at those comments from that dude from Swansea who was critical of him.
    Great to see Townsend looking dangerous aswell.
    Mitrovic, holding ball up well, although I did think sissoko was disappointing at times.
    With performances like that and results elsewhere ending like they did, there’s no doubt we will stay up.
    One word… CONSISTENCY!

• 39 nufcursed // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM

review of the game:

elliott: could’ve stayed at home
    janmaat: very energetic performance but MUST put in more decent crosses
    coloccini: decent, solid
    taylor: should be a starter when fit, is ALWAYS committed
    aarons: great display for LB position (but shows he is not a defender)
    tiote: better than colback, anita and saivet together
    shelvey: great passing, we need him to create things
    sissoko: lively but no end product whatsoever
    wijnaldum: a bit absent today
    townsend: is going to be great if we can play like this more often
    mitrovic: absolutely brilliant today (shows he needs an attacking team around him to be dangerous)

mcclaren: today his tactics and line-up were very good.

worrying things:

– aarons at LB will be punished by better teams
    – we need to score more! (should’ve been 4 at least today)
    – the difference home/away is too big (we must play more possession away from home) WE MUST BECOME MORE CONSISTENT
    – mitrovic must be surrounded by players like townsend who make attacking runs around him
    – tiote and taylor are vital players as they always put in the effort!

still not convinced we’ll beat the drop as we seem to go up and down every other week. but at least we’ve given ourselves a bit of new hope

• 40 lochinvar // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Well Steve I was wrong ! Yesterday I predicted Doumbia was needed from the start to unsettle West Brom and that clearly would have been wrong . Apologies.
    Mitro was the man and I noticed he played slightly deeper and that gave him some opportunity to be more mobile which is good and his goal will I am sure help him be more relaxed and we will I think now start to see more goals from him.
    Aarons was assured and contributed to a good team performance.
    Just a few more assertive final passes rather than some glory hunting shots early on and we would have put away a few more goals.

• 41 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:45 PM

I wonder where the smartest guy in the room is ?
    Yoo hoo toonbrother

• 42 Thump // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:50 PM

@Jib: I think he was too busy with the Liverpool match to care, mate.

• 43 WWSBRD // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Decent performance but West Brom were awful and allowed us to set up camp in their half

Still a long way to go

• 44 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Mr observant and The blog troll Hunter

BandB you’re pathetic.

• 45 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Fully agreed mate, it won’t be that easy again.

• 46 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM

WBA is definitely a relegation candidate!

• 47 The Diamond dogs hoojars // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Very good all around display from a very average incontistant team, WBA were truly awful I have to say.

Young Aarons did well, he isn’t a natural defender at all, but he put in some cracking crosses, could easily been another Norwich today, three points and out the bottom three for now.

• 48 WWSBRD // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Yeah not many will come and give us such an easy day

• 49 catchy in norway // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:59 PM

nicest thing he has said about us

• 50 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Mr Rob Vollans you’re barking up the wrong tree.

• 51 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Mr observant

Your point on the blog is?

• 52 will die for the toon army // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:08 PM

• 53 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Now now there’s no need to be rude Rob. What’s the point of you creating all those multiple accounts?

• 54 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Mr observant

You still haven’t told me…

• 55 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Doumbia is an intriguing purchase by Carr to get us goals. He doesn’t train. And he doesn’t play.

• 56 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:18 PM

I think you know fine well what the point of me being here is Rob.You should quit while you’re ahead.C’mon you’ve had a good run.

• 57 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Mitro man of the match. In deciding it, I look at which player we’d miss the most if he was injured. He offers the team so much, irrespective of goals.

Gini and Sissoko were out of sorts today.

• 58 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM

OMG – and folk laugh at Charnley !

• 59 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Mr observant

I figured as much, you’re actually sad enough to create multiple accounts in order to run off the people who are ‘trolls’ in your eyes. Even though you have no evidence to support your claims and it is completely all speculation unless you can show me proof. Which I highly doubt. The Saddest thing is that you’re pursuing me in order to take the blame off of yourself.

• 60 reilly // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM

like people on here told you blackley,nice to see you catching up.

• 61 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Jib Jibberish – Ttiote disallowed goal.
    Nowt to do with Mitro touching the ball.

Mitro was in an offisde position and blocking the goalies view of the ball – therefore the offisde offence is committed.
    You do not need MOTD to have these matters explained. Do not be embarrassed in asking about the rules of the game.

• 62 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:31 PM

I assure you Rob i’m not a troll i’m just a normal contributor who finds your behaviour weird and annoying.

• 63 Munster Mag // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing it, but so pleased for Taylor. This guy gets crazy criticism from some of the ungrateful know nowts on this forum but if guys like Sissoko and Wini and Shelvey had his commitment to NUFC and his bravery, we would be far better off. Well done big Geordie boy.

• 64 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Mr o

Youre on a blog mate, you’re not going to agree with everyone and there are going to be people you find annoying, that’s how it works. I’m sorry that I make you feel this way but I’m not changing my style… Why should I? I can also assure you that I’m no troll, whether you believe that or not is up to you. I am willing to believe your claim though. I hope you find who you’re looking for.

• 65 nearly // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM

spot on

• 66 MacToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Confused – So are you this Rob Vollans then YoungMagpie?

• 67 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Lol, I’m just going along with it. Who is this rob? Some form of detective I figure?

• 68 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Why would I be taking the blame off myself? i’m not the guy who creates personas to agree/disagree with myself tell jokes post songs or abuse anyone. It wouldn’t be that hard to email the owner and get evidence either.

• 69 Our Toon // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Tiote was unbelievable today, optimised his performance when on the floor he headed it out for throw in whilst being hurt. Big concern is the Chinese window doesn’t close until end of Feb. He could still leave!!

• 70 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Well, I’m not this multiple poster lol. I’m just as bewildered as you, however you think you have found the right guy. To me, you could possibly be the multiple poster, how could I know? On the other hand I’m willing to trust you on your claim that it’s not you, this is mainly because in the grand scheme of things this blog has little to do with my more important life and I’m not going to waste my time worrying about who this blog persona really is. Like I say… Goodluck.

• 71 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Mr Tuff
    While it was clearly Ben Foster’s complaining that caused the officials to confer and most thought he was complaining about being unsighted .
    The replay clearly shows the flight path of the ball changing dramatically and Mitro throwing his hands up as if to deny culpability.

• 72 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Our Toon

Hopefully judged on this performance the club see how valuable he is to us. Mainly because he can show Saivet the way into becoming good enough for this league. What a performance though.

• 73 Munster Mag // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Blacklrey at 57, that makes no sense, in terms of how MOM awards are awarded…

• 74 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Mr Vollans pic is at my post #58

• 75 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Oh ymfb is many people on the blog, but Rob Vollans is the brains.Robs name is on the ferry ticket to shutter island. All the identities in his head are free to join him. I’ll say no more Robert, but I will be emailing Ed about this tonight.

Have a good evening.

• 76 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Mr Munster
    I beg your pardon
    It makes as much sense as any other criteria

• 77 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM

What are you on about? I think you need to catch up, not me.

• 78 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Look mate, I have done nothing wrong since I’ve been back. If youre looking for a scapegoat then you have found him. But you’ve got it all wrong.

• 79 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:55 PM

• 80 reilly // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM

come on you have slated mitro,its all there in past posts.
    ffs can you never admit to getting something wrong like.

• 81 MacToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Fair enough YoungMagpie, I did notice you didn’t answer my question though and that’s fair enough, it was a little direct. This blog’s becoming a stranger place by the day 😉

And talking about strange activities. It was pleasing not to have Toonbotherer infesting this blog today but his absence is strange. Especially on a day that our makeshift back four kept a clean sheet. Maybe our albatross has been lifted 😉

• 82 Munster Mag // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Jib, it doesnt. the MOM match is given to the guy who was best on the day, end of. If he was the most valuable to the team on the day, thats fine. Its not a general measurement, its a 90 min measurement.

• 83 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM

What question?

• 84 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Mr Observant

It’s just a kid mucking about on a blog. Irritating no more

Stop acting like the KGB

He’s not creating any refugees in the middle east

Jail , MrTuff , and a few other’s constantly having a pop at me and exaggerating my misdemeanours is irritating but I accept it and just get on with it.

Leave the pomposity to others

• 85 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Thanks man, although I’m not here to muck about… Like I said when I first joined:-
    I’m here to discuss NUFC with fellow fans since there are none in my area’.

I am very appreciative of this blog for what it is and the last thing I want to do now is spoil it for others. Getting the blame for multiples is to be expected, after all everyone views me as this ‘kid’ who probably has too much time on his hands. That’s OK, I totally get it, bur that’s the risk I was willing to take by putting the ‘young’ part in my username.

• 86 MacToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM

My original question YoungMagpie at 66

MacToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Confused – So are you this Rob Vollans then YoungMagpie?

• 87 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM

He was the most valuable to our our team today because he influenced the game in our favour more than any other player. He does it regularly and therefore could well be our player of the season.

• 88 Munster Mag // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Blackley, see 82. Anyway, who cares, we won 🙂

• 89 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Jib – don’t post rubbish then there is nothing to complain about.
    Accept your canings like a man – no squealing like a piglet.

previous post: Aleksandar Mitrovic’s All Important Goal – Video