The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Tony Pulis Pays Newcastle Huge Compliments

9:01 pm, Saturday, February 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 78 Comments

Newcastle looked so much better than West Brom today that if we had taken all the chances we carved out we could have won this game 5-0 – easily – and if we continue to play like this then one of these days we will win by a big score and that will help out goal difference – which is always worth an extra point.

We just watched the game again and West Brom never threatened until injury time when they had a quick break,  but Daryl Janmaat cut out the cross that was going straight to Berahino about 12 yards out from goal.

West Brom had no shots on target and that must have been Rob Elliot’s easiest game of the season.

Tony Pulis on the sidelines today

It was a massive 3 points for us but we have to try to kill off these games by taking our chances.

After the game Tony Pulis paid a number of compliments to the Newcastle team – and a lot of our players today had really good games:

“Newcastle have got good players, just look at what they have recruited.” “Like all teams in this league though you need a little luck…today they didn’t need luck though – they were better than us.”

“”I’ve been at the club for just over a year now and that’s most probably the most disappointing away performance we’ve had.”

“The best way to describe is that we were in a boxing match and we shadow boxed for 90 minutes.” “We never got close to them and when we had the ball our passing was poo.”

”Newcastle were better all over the pitch.”

“It could have been more than 1-0 but they are a great group of lads and we will have to take this on the chin and work this out.”  “Only in the last 15 minutes did we have a couple of opportunities to score”

“The goal was a poor one to concede and it pushed them on – but we weren’t at the races from the beginning.”

It’s a long time since we saw a Newcastle team keep up such a fast tempo for the whole game – and really the only disappointment was that we didn’t score more goals.

If we can keep up this kind of performance both on the road and at home – we may be able to be safe come the end of the season.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Brom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press Conference

78 responses so far ↓

• 1 CookyToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM

For the lads with Facebook who didn’t see the game.

• 2 Shadow_Shearer // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Pullis was sayin he has no interest in managing newcastle when p45 left. Today’s he’s sayin newcastle are a good squad

• 3 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:06 PM

February 6, 2016

Thanks man, although I’m not here to muck about… Like I said when I first joined:-
    I’m here to discuss NUFC with fellow fans since there are none in my area’.

I am very appreciative of this blog for what it is and the last thing I want to do now is spoil it for others. Getting the blame for multiples is to be expected, after all everyone views me as this ‘kid’ who probably has too much time on his hands. That’s OK, I totally get it, but that’s the risk I was willing to take by putting the ‘young’ part in my username. Honesty the best policy though.. Right?

• 4 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Oh, my bad… Yeah I’m not that guy.

• 5 Shadow_Shearer // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Lovely cookytoon. Thanks for that

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Did he really see poo or has Ed just missed an “r” off ?

• 7 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM

I’m watching a replay of the Mackems game on French telly.
    Liverpool really screwed up.
    That Khazri they bought is a canny player but stories about his temperament are not exaggerated.
    He’ll be one to wind up in the derby

• 8 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM

I think you know the answer to that.

• 9 MacToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Ok YoungMagpie, cheers. No more from me 😉 Maybe this Mr Obs barking up the wrong tree.
    We need detective Belfats on the case 😀

• 10 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM

He was the most valuable to our our team today because he influenced the game in our favour more than any other player. That’s why I believe he was motm. He does it regularly and therefore could well be our player of the season.

• 11 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:14 PM

No. Genuine question.

• 12 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Then yes, it was a typo.

• 13 aussiemag // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:16 PM

We never got close to them and when we had the ball our passing was poo.”

As opposed to being SHIITE.

Tell us what you really think Tony LOL

• 14 MacToon // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:16 PM

I hope he did say poo because it couldn’t have been more accurate.
    Also his job application for MacClaren’s job hasn’t gone unnoticed. I bet the club’s noticed too, unfortunately.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM

They were worse than poor.

• 16 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM

I know, but I watched the interview. He says poor.

• 17 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:21 PM

I figured you had. Just explaining why I asked the question in the first place.

• 18 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Oh ok, then fair enough.

• 19 Munster Mag // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Blackey, sorry if I’m being pedantic, but that makes more sense than your initial assertion. I also rate Nitro, love him in fact. He will probably never get more than 15 goals in a season for us, but i was annoyed from pre kick off v Everton, when i saw the daft defensive team SMC sent out, without Nitro. If anything, we should be looking for eithet another big fast striker ( better than him ) , or an understudy. Looking forward to the football tonite, for once.

• 20 Mister Tuff // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Jib – Tiote goal.
    The area of concern is in the postions the officials were in how could they adjudge that Mitro was blocking the goalies line of vision of the ball..
    Linesman cannot see as he is perpendiculat to the incident -he did not flag and the ref originally awarded a goal – so clearly he saw nothing wrong.
    Possibly only person complaining was the keeper.
    Are decisions made on the basis of what a player says when the officials do not see anything wrong. So perhaps the officials did ultimately make the right decision – but the evidence was not there for them to arrive at the decision they did. ie they guessed.

• 21 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Mr Tuff
    There was a match the other week
    The details escape me – but the goalie made such a song and dance (it may have been Joe Hart) that the officials changed a decision

• 22 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:37 PM

I said in the January window we should keep tiote and look what happened today, he was awesome, i tell you what it’s hard work being right all the time.

Ha ha ha

• 23 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Speaking of Jan transfer window, our new players have helped our team batter the opposition in the last two home games, hope that continues.

• 24 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I couldn’t believe Mitro was left out against Everton. He looks fitter of late. He’s not the most comfortable running with the ball but that’s not his game. I can’t see him getting many goals himself. But he’d be ideal alongside a fox in the box.

• 25 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:46 PM

I agree. It struck me that the goal would have been given. It seemed the officials only disallowed it as a result of the keeper complaining. How could the lino rule on it? The ref is surely the only one who could call it. And he didn’t.

• 26 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Seems like officials love to make the games about themselves with these controversial calls… When they come off they look great but the risk to me is ridiculous.

• 27 vlojo // Feb 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Mitro was outstanding today – he brings so much to the team, the amount of holding up and his distribution were just phenomenal – definitely mom. He was also massively influential against West Ham, Shelvey was touted as mom after that game but whilst he had 59 touches Mitro had 61. Just cannot understand why he was left out against Everton. I think he has the makings of an absolute legend. During half time break at Everton he was warming up with Doumbia and started smashing the ball in to the net over and over to the delight of the away fans – he’s like a big kid with his heart on his sleeve. Love him.

• 28 lochinvar // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:02 PM

The officials yet again are angling for the introduction of TMO’s. If the Linesman doesn’t see anything when a foul is committed in the box and the ref doesn’t either then they can’t and don’t give a penalty. However using the logic of today’s thinking that a player can complain and get a decision changed then in Penalty appeals the fouled player can apply to his neighbourhood linesman to reverse his decision and give the pens.
    Hope you’re following this …keep up !
    When TMO’s arrive won’t the officials be happy to be the centre of attention – they’ll have pretty new uniforms, new hand signals and borderline celebrity status. When they retire they go on a Big Brother and Pointless Celebrities – exactly my point ( I think )

• 29 goommy // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:07 PM

I like the way he describe this match. We really like a phantom boxer for them today. It’s shame that we can’t give them a knockout uppercut but it’s ok for just a right hook and take three points.

So happy today. HWTL!!

• 30 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Much better performance today. Like Yin and Yang compared to the Everton game.

There was some really nice passing at times, and it goes to show that it is their state of mind, confidence, belief and attitude on the day, combined with the training ground work, that can bring about a team performance. Everyone had at least a decent – good game I thought, albeit West Brom weren’t up to much.

Finishing the chances was the only real disappointment. Aarons did a good job of attacking when he could, much improved. I could go through the names, but I won’t.

Hope Doumbia continues his goal scoring record for us. Disappointed he didn’t come on.

• 31 Mr Observant // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Jeff luckily for you this isn’t the kgb because your hit flask would have been laced with polonium years ago sir.

• 32 martoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Tuff & B&B – I was at the match and the Tiote goal was definitely given at first. It was only after the WBA players complaints that the referee & linesman consulted. Like you I can’t understand if they didn’t see anything wrong originally how could they change their minds?

• 33 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:23 PM

I’ve just seen it on Sky
    It defo touched Mitro’s hand on the way through

• 34 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:25 PM

I was at the match. I can only think the ref will say Mitro was in the keeper’s line of vision but couldn’t see if he was offside. The lino will say that Mitro was in an offside position but couldn’t see if he was interfering.

• 35 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Mason went to give it at first then he must have got a call on his earpiece from his asst.

• 36 martoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Jib – The hand ball couldn’t be seen at the game I think B&B@34 is correct. Still disappointing though as you often see them given.

• 37 Bambams // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:33 PM

It’s 3 points.

• 38 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM

In a couple of years there will be the video official to confirm incidents like that. It’s in Holland I think they have it now, I saw something about it on Sky Sports not so long since.

• 39 martoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Watching MOTD Danny Simpson has landed on his feet at Leicester – I always thought he was a decent defender and got undeserved stick here.

• 40 martoon // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:47 PM

As soon as I post that he drops a rick 🙂

• 41 Goofy // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Hope Man U stuff Chelsea tomorrow, keeping there morale down and watch Newcastle do their usual and raise there game against the big guns. Chelsea might be having a crap season but will always be classed a big gun.

Watched a bit more of the game and i’m well impressed with the performance of a team that had to win and didn’t show nerves at any point, they always seemed in control. There was the pass to Berahino that didn’t make it but would’ve been a goal scoring opportunity if the pass had came off. That all came from a neat pass upt the right wing that none of our team could’ve done much about, rather one of our usual blunders in midfield or defence. I actually have no negatives. Yeah we couild’ve scored morebut for the first toime in a while i actually felt we were going to score every time we went forward. After the Everton game it was looking very bleak, now i’ve got a little more faith.

• 42 optimistic prime // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Did Villa and Leicester win?

• 43 SUTTY1978 // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Just watching the extended highlights on Sky. I don’t know why people were whinging about Sissoko during the game, he was very good, set up a whole host of chances, put in some great balls.
    Also Mitro was bloody brilliant, some of his passing and interplay was awesome.
    Janmaat has some engine, put in so much running down the right.
    Very, very good team performance.
    Think Wijnaldum’s quitter game compared to usual at home was down to the strength of the Wba defenders, didn’t really let him turn or get anything away in tight areas. Did do well in general midfield play though, some nice touches & 1-2’s.

• 44 SUTTY1978 // Feb 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Oh and Aarons, best LB performance I’ve seen since Mbabu vs Chelsea.

• 45 Toon Tang // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Trippy A

• 46 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Woo hoo. Brother Troy on Toonsy’s blog saying Mitro is poor.

• 47 Toon Tang // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Slippy G’s younger more annoying brother

• 48 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Totally agree Sutty, wish people would stop moaning about sissoko, glad Shelvey and Townsend had a good game as well.

• 49 Toon Tang // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Semen mingolet then sakho chucking it away the massive tits

• 50 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM

I hate it when they are passing poo

• 51 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:18 PM

According to daily star we are going after Sturridge in the summer, great another Injury prone player, might as well sign Carroll while we at it then.

Also in the paper they want around 30 million for the player, yeah right.

• 52 lesh // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:20 PM

If, after his performance today, Charnley decides it’s wise to sell Tiote, he should be strung up along with Ashley for giving him authority over the Club.

• 53 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Stupid scousers did a walk out for no reason, and it cost the team two points imo. 77 pound a ticket….expensive???? Yes….but not when its for 6 games!! They must be drinking the water direct from the mersey ffs

• 54 The Diamond dogs hoojars // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:23 PM

By,Pulis giving us plaudits, first time ever, we were as good as we were bad v Everton, oh n Mike start treating your low paid SDirect part time workers with more respect and a few more quid an hour and give them a few paid holidays as well and we might just start getting a bit more luck; to many folk wishing u bad luck me old son.

• 55 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:25 PM

What’s our first eleven next season with our injury prone players, Krul in goal, two centre backs s taylor and colo, left back Haidara, right wing obertan, centre tiote and de Jong, left wing Aaron’s, up front Sturridge and Carroll, can we use more than three subs in a match.

Ha ha ha

Just noticed I haven’t picked a right back, anyone injured.

• 56 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Pity palace couldn’t have beaten swans. That 1pt closer would have been a nice boost

• 57 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Mbemba is injured, and he can play rb.

• 58 lesh // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Good results for you today eh?

But, you’ll have noticed that Ed’s bladdered a joker or four in the last 24 hours?

Might you take heed when thinking about posting your wise-cracks

• 59 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Thanks for that mate but my starting 11 is all injury prone players, but give it time under mcclaren i bet he will be the next one.

• 60 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Under 18s were poor this morning. Bailey sent off after 5 minutes. 4 -0 when I left. With all the injuries for first team, I guess there’s a few stepping up to the next level.

• 61 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Ok… i suppose we could move taylor to rb, and bring in dummet as a CB. He has had a few knocks over the past couple of seaskns

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:34 PM

I haven’t noticed to be honest mate, only this evening I’ve been on, Normally look back at the day’s comments, so who’s gone and who went to ed.

• 63 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Me with the wise cracks, how dare you.

Ha ha ha

• 64 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Crikey. I see it was 8 – 0.

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:39 PM

Judging by the way we have played in the last couple of games, our home games I think will save us, we tore West Ham apart and today against west brom but we need to score more in matches, personally i think we will be safe, strongest squad down the bottom.

• 66 welshgeordie9 // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Shelvey has played 4 games so far and he’s been awesome in 2 and poor in the other 2 anyone disagree with that.

• 67 Jib // Feb 6, 2016 at 11:56 PM

I’ve seen the disallowed Tiote goal again on MotD and it has just muddied the waters even more.
    Mason made no handball signal and told his asst to raise his flag back up so presumably Ben Fosters complaining worked
    The officials were very lucky we got another goal or there would have been hell on.

• 68 Goofy // Feb 7, 2016 at 12:00 AM

I agree. It is the away form that’s killing us, the whole team under achieve away, especially against so called smaller teams. There’s is no doubt Shelvey is class when on form. He looked really slow and lost against Everton but looked absolutely unstoppable today.

• 69 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Feb 7, 2016 at 12:24 AM

Shelvey has looked so much better at home because he has had a terrier beside him in either Tiote or Colback to do the dirty work

Against Watford and Everton it almost feels like Saviet and him are too similar to play together they both like long passes and dont seem to run about could just be Saviet is not used to the pace yet mind you

Mclaren needs to start sending us out to attack straight away I think if we did that next week we can get a result against Chelsea they are not actually playing that well yet and will have Champions League on their minds

• 70 lesh // Feb 7, 2016 at 12:30 AM

Who’s been banned?

Toonsend became a bit of a pain in the backside for one.

As to who tipped Ed off? Does it not occur that Ed might just read the posts on his own blog? I’m sure he’s as interested in posters’ comments as everyone else.

• 71 SPRINGY // Feb 7, 2016 at 1:18 AM

whats the crack….who’s been banned like?

• 72 U.S Magpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 1:21 AM

Ok so out of the bottom three, yes we won and yes we honestly should have been three to four goals up.
    Tiote I have to say, I’m happy he stayed at Newcastle because he looked awesome today. But just one little criticism with McClamity, if we got Doumbia is because he scores goals so we have been told why the hell didn’t he get like 15 – 20 mins on the pitch. Mitro looked tired. I really wanted to see him and see what he’s made of.. Townsend looked better today which was good to see. Howay the Toon onwards and hopefully upwards.

• 73 Blofal // Feb 7, 2016 at 1:43 AM

Great performance. Can’t believe how many missed chances! Townsend looked very good. Finally a threat down the left. Taylor was outstanding.

When we play like that we can beat anybody. We did that to Arsenal. We did that to West Ham. We did that to Norwich.

Everton pressed us and stifled our game. We were rubbish on the ball and couldn’t press back.

When we press the opposition ourselves and force them back space opens up for our players to show what they can do.

We need to press high. We need to do it every game. We have to show the opposition no respect and go for them every time.

• 74 lochinvar // Feb 7, 2016 at 5:05 AM

Phil Thomson on Sky Reports :”Everybody was an eight out of 10 today. You wouldn’t have thought they’d be in problems except maybe for West Brom because of how poor they were.”
    Sky Player ratings
    Newcastle: Elliot (6), Janmaat (7), Taylor (6), Coloccini (6), Aarons (6), Townsend (8), Shelvey (7), Tiote (7), Sissoko (7), Wijnaldum (6), Mitrovic (8)
    Subs used: Perez (6), Saivet (6)

More joined up than the Ref and Linesman then are we Sky ?

Why don’t they score the refs on various aspects of their game ?
    That could make interesting reading but no doubt the FA wouldn’t even take notice.

• 75 Magtoonpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 6:28 AM

MacC should learn from WB boss. No excuses!

• 76 will die for the toon army // Feb 7, 2016 at 6:39 AM

The problem Mcca made at Everton was to bench Mitro. Mitro disorganises defences and can change a game plan for any team once he starts putting the pressure at the front.

I still insist Mcca isnt the manager we need. I lost faith in him. Not good under pressure. He never uses Subs. He will be our downfall. We should show ambition and go for Mourinho.

• 77 2 goals 1 cup // Feb 7, 2016 at 6:54 AM

has anybody got a link to watch the full match

• 78 nut meg // Feb 7, 2016 at 7:14 AM