Tony Pulis Pays Newcastle Huge Compliments

Newcastle looked so much better than West Brom today that if we had taken all the chances we carved out we could have won this game 5-0 – easily – and if we continue to play like this then one of these days we will win by a big score and that will help out goal difference – which is always worth an extra point.

We just watched the game again and West Brom never threatened until injury time when they had a quick break,  but Daryl Janmaat cut out the cross that was going straight to Berahino about 12 yards out from goal.

West Brom had no shots on target and that must have been Rob Elliot’s easiest game of the season.

Tony+Pulis+Newcastle+United+v+West+Bromwich+9LfM70DLKzQl

Tony Pulis on the sidelines today

It was a massive 3 points for us but we have to try to kill off these games by taking our chances.

After the game Tony Pulis paid a number of compliments to the Newcastle team – and a lot of our players today had really good games:

“Newcastle have got good players, just look at what they have recruited.” “Like all teams in this league though you need a little luck…today they didn’t need luck though – they were better than us.”

“”I’ve been at the club for just over a year now and that’s most probably the most disappointing away performance we’ve had.”

“The best way to describe is that we were in a boxing match and we shadow boxed for 90 minutes.” “We never got close to them and when we had the ball our passing was poo.”

”Newcastle were better all over the pitch.”

“It could have been more than 1-0 but they are a great group of lads and we will have to take this on the chin and work this out.”  “Only in the last 15 minutes did we have a couple of opportunities to score”

“The goal was a poor one to concede and it pushed them on – but we weren’t at the races from the beginning.”

It’s a long time since we saw a Newcastle team keep up such a fast tempo for the whole game – and really the only disappointment was that we didn’t score more goals.

If we can keep up this kind of performance both on the road and at home – we may be able to be safe come the end of the season.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Brom?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• CookyToon

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM

For the lads with Facebook who didn’t see the game.

• Shadow_Shearer

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Pullis was sayin he has no interest in managing newcastle when p45 left. Today’s he’s sayin newcastle are a good squad

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:06 PM

YoungMagpieFromBurnley
    February 6, 2016
    Jib

Thanks man, although I’m not here to muck about… Like I said when I first joined:-
    I’m here to discuss NUFC with fellow fans since there are none in my area’.

I am very appreciative of this blog for what it is and the last thing I want to do now is spoil it for others. Getting the blame for multiples is to be expected, after all everyone views me as this ‘kid’ who probably has too much time on his hands. That’s OK, I totally get it, but that’s the risk I was willing to take by putting the ‘young’ part in my username. Honesty the best policy though.. Right?

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Mactoon

Oh, my bad… Yeah I’m not that guy.

• Shadow_Shearer

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:09 PM

Lovely cookytoon. Thanks for that

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Did he really see poo or has Ed just missed an “r” off ?

• Jib

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM

I’m watching a replay of the Mackems game on French telly.
    Liverpool really screwed up.
    That Khazri they bought is a canny player but stories about his temperament are not exaggerated.
    He’ll be one to wind up in the derby

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Blackley

I think you know the answer to that.

• MacToon

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Ok YoungMagpie, cheers. No more from me 😉 Maybe this Mr Obs barking up the wrong tree.
    We need detective Belfats on the case 😀

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM

MM
    He was the most valuable to our our team today because he influenced the game in our favour more than any other player. That’s why I believe he was motm. He does it regularly and therefore could well be our player of the season.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Burnley
    No. Genuine question.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Blackley

Then yes, it was a typo.

• aussiemag

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:16 PM

We never got close to them and when we had the ball our passing was poo.”

As opposed to being SHIITE.

Tell us what you really think Tony LOL

• MacToon

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:16 PM

I hope he did say poo because it couldn’t have been more accurate.
    Also his job application for MacClaren’s job hasn’t gone unnoticed. I bet the club’s noticed too, unfortunately.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Burnley
    They were worse than poor.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Blackley

I know, but I watched the interview. He says poor.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:21 PM

I figured you had. Just explaining why I asked the question in the first place.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Blackley

Oh ok, then fair enough.

• Munster Mag

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Blackey, sorry if I’m being pedantic, but that makes more sense than your initial assertion. I also rate Nitro, love him in fact. He will probably never get more than 15 goals in a season for us, but i was annoyed from pre kick off v Everton, when i saw the daft defensive team SMC sent out, without Nitro. If anything, we should be looking for eithet another big fast striker ( better than him ) , or an understudy. Looking forward to the football tonite, for once.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Jib – Tiote goal.
    The area of concern is in the postions the officials were in how could they adjudge that Mitro was blocking the goalies line of vision of the ball..
    Linesman cannot see as he is perpendiculat to the incident -he did not flag and the ref originally awarded a goal – so clearly he saw nothing wrong.
    Possibly only person complaining was the keeper.
    Are decisions made on the basis of what a player says when the officials do not see anything wrong. So perhaps the officials did ultimately make the right decision – but the evidence was not there for them to arrive at the decision they did. ie they guessed.

• Jib

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Mr Tuff
    There was a match the other week
    The details escape me – but the goalie made such a song and dance (it may have been Joe Hart) that the officials changed a decision

• welshgeordie9

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:37 PM

I said in the January window we should keep tiote and look what happened today, he was awesome, i tell you what it’s hard work being right all the time.

Ha ha ha

• welshgeordie9

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Speaking of Jan transfer window, our new players have helped our team batter the opposition in the last two home games, hope that continues.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM

MM
    I couldn’t believe Mitro was left out against Everton. He looks fitter of late. He’s not the most comfortable running with the ball but that’s not his game. I can’t see him getting many goals himself. But he’d be ideal alongside a fox in the box.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Tuff
    I agree. It struck me that the goal would have been given. It seemed the officials only disallowed it as a result of the keeper complaining. How could the lino rule on it? The ref is surely the only one who could call it. And he didn’t.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Blackley

Seems like officials love to make the games about themselves with these controversial calls… When they come off they look great but the risk to me is ridiculous.

• vlojo

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Mitro was outstanding today – he brings so much to the team, the amount of holding up and his distribution were just phenomenal – definitely mom. He was also massively influential against West Ham, Shelvey was touted as mom after that game but whilst he had 59 touches Mitro had 61. Just cannot understand why he was left out against Everton. I think he has the makings of an absolute legend. During half time break at Everton he was warming up with Doumbia and started smashing the ball in to the net over and over to the delight of the away fans – he’s like a big kid with his heart on his sleeve. Love him.

• lochinvar

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:02 PM

The officials yet again are angling for the introduction of TMO’s. If the Linesman doesn’t see anything when a foul is committed in the box and the ref doesn’t either then they can’t and don’t give a penalty. However using the logic of today’s thinking that a player can complain and get a decision changed then in Penalty appeals the fouled player can apply to his neighbourhood linesman to reverse his decision and give the pens.
    Hope you’re following this …keep up !
    When TMO’s arrive won’t the officials be happy to be the centre of attention – they’ll have pretty new uniforms, new hand signals and borderline celebrity status. When they retire they go on a Big Brother and Pointless Celebrities – exactly my point ( I think )

• goommy

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:07 PM

I like the way he describe this match. We really like a phantom boxer for them today. It’s shame that we can’t give them a knockout uppercut but it’s ok for just a right hook and take three points.

So happy today. HWTL!!

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Much better performance today. Like Yin and Yang compared to the Everton game.

There was some really nice passing at times, and it goes to show that it is their state of mind, confidence, belief and attitude on the day, combined with the training ground work, that can bring about a team performance. Everyone had at least a decent – good game I thought, albeit West Brom weren’t up to much.

Finishing the chances was the only real disappointment. Aarons did a good job of attacking when he could, much improved. I could go through the names, but I won’t.

Hope Doumbia continues his goal scoring record for us. Disappointed he didn’t come on.

• Mr Observant

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Jeff luckily for you this isn’t the kgb because your hit flask would have been laced with polonium years ago sir.

• martoon

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Tuff & B&B – I was at the match and the Tiote goal was definitely given at first. It was only after the WBA players complaints that the referee & linesman consulted. Like you I can’t understand if they didn’t see anything wrong originally how could they change their minds?

• Jib

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Martoon
    I’ve just seen it on Sky
    It defo touched Mitro’s hand on the way through

• Blackley and Brownlie

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Martoon
    I was at the match. I can only think the ref will say Mitro was in the keeper’s line of vision but couldn’t see if he was offside. The lino will say that Mitro was in an offside position but couldn’t see if he was interfering.

• Jib

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Mason went to give it at first then he must have got a call on his earpiece from his asst.

• martoon

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Jib – The hand ball couldn’t be seen at the game I think B&B@34 is correct. Still disappointing though as you often see them given.

• Bambams

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:33 PM

It’s 3 points.

• Laurent Robert 32

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM

In a couple of years there will be the video official to confirm incidents like that. It’s in Holland I think they have it now, I saw something about it on Sky Sports not so long since.

• martoon

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Watching MOTD Danny Simpson has landed on his feet at Leicester – I always thought he was a decent defender and got undeserved stick here.

• martoon

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:47 PM

As soon as I post that he drops a rick 🙂