The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

These Were Newcastle’s Best Two Players Against West Brom

10:13 pm, Sunday, February 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 96 Comments

It was a very good win for Newcastle on Saturday against West Brom and such an important time to win only our sixth league game of the season.

It’s a time to celebrate for Newcastle fans too, since we haven’t had too many wins this season, but we also know the team has to become a lot more consistent if we are still to survive relegation.

Newcastle dominated this game from start to finish and the only mystery was how we only scored one single goal – although it was a good one from Aleksandar Mitrovic – brilliantly set up by Jonjo Shelvey.

Alan Shearer raved about Jonjo on Match of the Day on Saturday night and fans agreed – Jonjo is our Man of the Match with 31% of the vote.

jonjo shelvey west ham debut

Jonjo Shelvey – 31% – Man of the Match

Jonjo Shelvey  gave another great performance at St. James’ Park and he was our main man against West Brom as he took or was given the ball out of defense.

Jonjo stroked the ball all over the place.

He used short passes,  long passes, passes out to either wing, balls through the middle as for Mitro’s goal –  and very few of his passes were misplaced.

This lad gives another dimension to the side that we haven’t had since 2013 when Yohan Cabaye was our creative midfielder and could make things tick for the side.

Shelvey will soon become the darling of the Newcastle fans if he can keep up these displays, but we also need to see Shelvey in this kind of form on the road too.

We have to start picking up away points as well as points at home and we have to try to win every single game of the 13 left this season.

At £12M Jonjo is looking like one of the best buys made in the January transfer window.

Cheick+Tiote+Newcastle+United+v+West+Bromwich+SktfkeL1Ko4l

Cheick Tiote – 21%

Cheick Tiote is second in the voting and he was supposed to be off to China last month, but he´s still at Newcastle and he was the shock selection on Saturday – starting in place of Henri Saivet, who had a good game at Everton.

Steve McClaren put him in after only two days of training and we have to believe that Cheick was looking very good in training.

He was the perfect foil to Shelvey on Saturday and just like the Ivorian played very well when the creative Yohan Cabaye was on Tyneside – it seems like he will do that with Shelvey.

Cheick has struggled at Newcastle when we haven´t had a creative player playing alongside him and Cheick isn´t too creative – but that´s not the type of player he is.

He does a great job for the team when he´s in the form he´s been in this year.

We dominated the game so it shouldn´t come as too much of a surprise that our best two players were in central midfield – in Newcastle´s engine room.

And there´s just no way Cheick should be allowed to leave for China this month.

His vast experience in the final games of this season will hopefully help Newcastle remain a Premier League side before he finally leaves us this summer.

There were lots of other great performance right down to young Rolando Aarons at left-back – and for one so young he had an excellent game and didn’t seem to put a foot wrong.

Mitrovic, new boy Townsend, Janmaat and Steven Taylor all had games to be proud of.

Now we need the same thing in each of our final 13 games of the season – nothing less than that will be good enough

And if we can do that we should still be a Premier League club next season – but we can take nothing for granted.

Here are the results of the Man of the Match poll.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Brom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Jonjo Shelvey · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

96 responses so far ↓

• 1 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Thought Tiote deserved it like, but who cares? Lol.

• 2 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:17 PM

bandb yeah i have or had no issues with letting him go at the time its just he’s turned out to be 1 hell of a keeper so wouldn’t mind him back here just wondered if anyone thought he would actually want to himself

• 3 Mr Observant // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Good evening Robert Vollans.

• 4 welshgeordie9 // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Can’t believe conehead is 23.

• 5 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Manx

Doubt he’d want to join back to us now, Southampton are much better off then us now.

• 6 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Mr observant

Good evening kind madam.

• 7 BandB // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:22 PM

manx

I guess he made those new opportunities for himself by being a success elsewhere. The added value, he sweated for.
    He might come if he thought there was something in it for him.
    We have to make those opportunities for ourselves by being a success.

• 8 Mr Observant // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Have you also got multi Twitter accounts? you’re very quiet at the moment hehe

• 9 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:25 PM

I honestly don’t know who is this guy is haha. I don’t even know how to use Twitter. Is this Robert from Barnoldswick? No? Your wrong…

• 10 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Mrs observant.

You made an account to force me off the blog? You do realise that in turn you are ruining the blog for everyone else? What a sweet little Saint you are.

• 11 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:29 PM

yeah bandb and tbh as soon as he’s had a few more england caps he’d be out of our price range anyways and as it stands there’s no chance lol
    of topic but just seen flamini’s challenge how the hell did he get away with that or have the rules changed?

• 12 sing in the corner // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:29 PM

On the keeper subject…
    When Tim Krul gets fit I reckon he has got a real fight on his hands to get the gloves off Elliott, who has been impressive in goal for us this season..

• 13 sing in the corner // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Manx
    If that’d been Tiote or Colback they’d have been straight off. If it’d been Mitro he’d have been deported.
    And did you see Gardner’s cynical foul when we broke yesterday? I saw the extended highlights a little while ago, think he escaped a booking for that!! Inconsistencies…

• 14 jane // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM

looking ahead to Chelsea next Saturday Chelsea are away to PSG the following Tuesday. you would think the Champions league is Chelsea’s priority so even if they don’t rest players they may be distracted by that match.

• 15 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:35 PM

sing yeah he defo has imagine some of the scores without elliott this year!?
    plus elliott seems a real leader
    we’ve actually been blessed with keepers over the years i wonder who scouts them lol?

• 16 jane // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:37 PM

after Chelsea Newcastle don’t play again until 2nd March at Stoke because their match against Man City is postponed because of the Capital One cup final. any idea when the City game is likely to be rearranged for?

• 17 Mister Tuff // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Jib Jibberish.
    Read earlier your post about Shearer on MOTD.
    You suggest that Shearer highlights Shelvey with the assumption that Roy Hodgson will be watching and because of that Roy will attend the late KO game with Chelsea and therefore not just see Shelvey but Townsend as well.

Is that it ????.
    Have you missed anything out your theory such as when the elves and pixies turn up.
    Not wanting to trash your theory but just learn more for a better understanding.

• 18 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:42 PM

lol well if ya think mitro got sent of against arsenal for alot less
    it’s infuriating isn’t it especially since its the bigger teams that seem to get the calls everytime
    flaminis was a proper ankle breaker with both the linesman and ref in full view
    i think there should be a ref league tbh and they get points for correct decisions and points taken off for wrong ones, would create a bit of competition but ultimately make them better

• 19 welshgeordie9 // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Jane

Should be arranged sometime before May, I’m not sure though.

• 20 Harley // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Gate crashing the keeper conversation here.

I think Krul has been disappointing for the last couple of years. Elliot has come in and grasped his opportunity and is maybe our player of the season so far.

I’d happily have Elliot as our no1. He’s had a lot of stick in here in the past but he’s looked a lot more dependable than krul since he’s been in the team

His weakness is his kicking. If he can improve on that he’d be faultless.

• 21 Mr Observant // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:43 PM

Apologies to the blog.

So did take a chancel get shut down after my email? He disappeared then you returned daily.That comment the other day was a major error on your part.I actually thought you were a little smarter than that.You actually returned right on cue as soon as I posted about it hehe.

• 22 jane // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:44 PM

when Newcastle play Stoke they will have played 2 games less than Sunderland and Norwich because they play the night before so Newcastle could well be in the relegation zone especially if they lose to Chelsea.

• 23 Mister Tuff // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Whilst your at it – any theories about Lord Lucan or that Elvis Presley is living in Glasgow.

• 24 welshgeordie9 // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Not just shelvey and townsend, S Taylor, Elliot, colback and williamson, oops i forgot he’s not with us anymore.

• 25 jane // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM

if City remain in all competitions it maybe difficult to rearrange though.

• 26 sing in the corner // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Manx
    Ha ha what’s the betting…Wenger: ‘I deednt see it.’ ?

• 27 sing in the corner // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Harley
    Yeah he’s got the gig for me like. (Elliott)
    And his kicking is a shade better than Kruls anyhow! 🙂

• 28 Mister Tuff // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Interesting the Roy Hodgson would want to check out Rob Elliot -a Republic of Ireland keeper.

• 29 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Mr observant

You think I’m take a chancel? You do realise that you have ruined any sort of credibility you had with that claim. Everyone on here likes TFL when in turn everyone seems to dislike me. You say you think I should be smarter when in turn you come out with this claim. Right now you’re as much chancel then I am.

• 30 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:51 PM

sing its worse than that i seen his interview earlier and he said he thought it should have been a foul for them no joke like!!!

• 31 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:53 PM

thats why i was gobsmacked when i actually seen it lol

• 32 sing in the corner // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Ha unbelievable.
    On topic…Shelvey is a dead ringer for Uncle Fester, I’ve only just realised.

• 33 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:57 PM

harley yeah thats why i think krul will be sold as soon as he shows some form again and his kicking is worse than elliotts lol
    but i don’t think ya can rely on elliotts fitness

• 34 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:01 PM

nah defo the old black n white bald dracula

• 35 sing in the corner // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:02 PM

That’s him! Nosferatu!!

• 36 Harley // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Wish we’d kept Forster.

Everyone including me thought Krul was the better keeper at the time so no one cared.

I remember it was against Leeds in a pre season friendly Forster had a bad game and made a fumble that led to their goal. That seemed to be the decider for who stayed and who went out of the 2 of them.

Oh how I wish we’d had a crystal ball.

• 37 Mr Observant // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Ymfb I really liked take a chancel that’s why I dismissed it for a good while and didn’t want to believe it trust me, but when you read back it’s so obvious. I came to the conclusion that you had one friendly account that everyone liked and the rest of the accounts were set up with the sole purpose of annoying people. You will obviously deny this fair enough, but I would really like the blog conductor to confirm my suspicions. I will provide another update when he gets back to me.

I’m working now so goodnight.

• 38 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:06 PM

shelvey =

• 39 Premiership Manager // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:08 PM

So Shelvey has had two excellent games and two where he didn’t turn up. No doubt he has ability but for £12M we want commitment, determination and consistency. He was brilliant at Swansea when he was in the mood however getting him in the right mood was too hard for Swansea which is why they sold him to us.

I thought Townsend was superb both attacking and in tracking back to help Aarons who he protected very well. Aarons also showed restraint which shows what a good player he will become.

I’m glad Taylor and Tiote had good games, it’s all well and good people banging on about attackers but having Tiote or Colback to add balance is essential as that is where we lose most games.

Mitro was also superb, he just needs time. I don’t think I’ve seen many forwards with his team and work ethic, he just needs a few goals and it will all come together.

As for McClaren if some people can’t see the difference he’s made and the players working for him they need to go to specsavers. Everybody knows he has an impossible job, it takes time and we haven’t exactly carried any luck.

Chelsea will be a different proposition especially if we still have Mbemba, Dummet and Colback out. A draw will be a good result but they don’t like playing us and hopefully we’ll get some luck as it’s well overdue

• 40 Harley // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:11 PM

PM

My thoughts exactly on Townsend.

• 41 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:12 PM

harley aye i remember that because i had to pay there site subscribtion to watch the game and forgot about it so ended up funding them for 3 years!!
    i’m surprised ashley hasn’t cottoned on to that tbh
    that was the game where barton threw a strop with cabeye taking dead balls as well i think

• 42 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Mr observant.

Have a good time at work. I’m not Chancel, I would also like to believe that he doesn’t have multiple accounts because if that was the case any credibility he would have with his main one would be gone. He’s a nice guy, seemingly been through alot, he doesn’t deserve any blame for that alone. If you ask me who you think I am I will answer with honesty… Which I did with jail. However I’m certain that if you look back(a long time ago) I confess which names I have used. I’m an honest guy.

• 43 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:20 PM

PM don’t be silly colback doesn’t add balance only negative running 🙂

on townsend i seen earlier and a few times now that people think he’s the spit of ober
    wat a load of shit townsend has a football brain ober doesn’t plus that game put to bed that he can’t cross or have a right foot
    great home debut

• 44 Jib // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Mister Tuff // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Jib Jibberish.
    Read earlier your post about Shearer on MOTD.

Is that it ????.

Sheesh Mr Tuff
    I’m so sorry , I keep thinking everyone is pretty much at the same level .
    I forgot to make allowances in my post for the slower-witted bloggers.
    The point of my post was that players who have a chance of the England squad will not be tempted to hide whilst playing away if they know Hodgson is there.

Anything else I can help you understand ?

Do you still call Elliot , fatty and mock his goalkeeping ability ?

• 45 Jib // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Manx every time mention is made of negative running I can’t help thinking about Monty Python’s philosopher footy.
    😀

• 46 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Mitrovic has scored 4 goals in 19 apps in the league. He’s 21. At his age, Shearer scored 4 in 36 league apps. #NUFC https://t.co/k8SCn3xrwk

Mitro has scored 77 professional goals in his career so far. By 21, Shearer had scored 22.

@NUFC_Index He’s scored 1 every 4.75 in PL. Shearer scored 1 in 9 at the same age. Surely that speaks for itself regardless of past leagues?

———————

Thought this was interesting, albeit quite a loose comparison; Found on Twitter.

I like Mitro a lot, even though he’s been missing some glaring chances of late.

• 47 Jib // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:37 PM

LRobert
    Mitro shows every sign of being a quick and diligent learner.
    His game in 6 months has improved dramatically
    There is so much more to striker play than banging in goals.
    He is being really well coached
    Whether that is Cathro, Simpson or McClaren or a combination of all three I don’t know.

• 48 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:38 PM

laurent interesting but i don’t think people are saying he’s shite just commenting on him missing glaring chances most i’ve seen including me say he will come good its just we have put all our wedge on him doing it this season in his 1st season in a new country and league i.e a huge gamble

• 49 Jib // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:41 PM

The time taken over starting Doumbia could be the coaching team thinking he needs easing into the PL after their experience of perhaps starting Mitro too early.

• 50 Harley // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Manxpie

Yes that’s the one. That was the start of end for Barton.

• 51 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Jib, I agree. Thought it was interesting, although I believe every striker should be capable of getting a healthy return of goals as a bare minimum.

Manx, sure, yes.

I really like how he looks to chest balls down a lot (I liked to do similar) and he’s got some nice flicks for on running players. Strong, can hold his own physically, decent in the air, and I think his heading towards goal is very good – just needs to be in better positions to get more chances, which also comes down to service requirements.

• 52 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:52 PM

One thing I would say about him is similar when Sir Bobby first took over. Sir Bobby said that they needed to get Shearer facing forward more, and not to have his back to goal.

He got a shot in facing forwards against West Brom I think it was. Need to get him in that position more around the edge of the box.

• 53 manxpie // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:53 PM

yeah i think he will actually become a legend here
    he has all the attributes but he needs alot more time and development in this league but really we should have a more experienced striker for this season
    plus its not just him missing sitters i must add its from alot of players

• 54 Mister Tuff // Feb 8, 2016 at 12:06 AM

Jib – Jibberish – do you have a theory about what happened to Shergar the racehorse and whilst you are on anything about David Ickes lizard people ruling the earth.

• 55 blacknwhite yorkshireman // Feb 8, 2016 at 12:15 AM

Anyone know anywhere I can view the extended highlights from Saturday?

• 56 manxpie // Feb 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM

yeah harley his nose was well out of joint after that but i think it was more politics that sent him over the edge than that
    as he actually praised pardew so i imagine behind the scenes something else was going on
    he certainly cared for the club tho which we also miss

• 57 JAMSHA // Feb 8, 2016 at 12:32 AM

blacknwhite yorkshireman

Go to http://www.starsports.com

Click On Football, Then Click On Full Schedule, Select The Date An Click On Replay Under NEwcastle VS WBA Click On Replay If U Wan See The Whole Match or Highlights

Try To Use Indian VPN or Proxy If U cant View

• 58 JAMSHA // Feb 8, 2016 at 12:33 AM

• 59 JAMSHA // Feb 8, 2016 at 12:33 AM

• 60 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 1:26 AM

I didn’t think Aarons was likely to cope with his defensive responsibilities, but now you wonder if he shouldn’t stay there until Haidarra is fit to challenge him, or another attacking left back with greater experience is drafted in. Our lack of an attacking outlet at left back has hindered us all season, but Aarons was excellent and the side very well balanced as a result.

Anyhoo, kudos all round, particularly after having so little positive to say prior to the game.

• 61 toonincheek // Feb 8, 2016 at 3:19 AM

My take.

We tend to play well against those sides that don’t pressure us.
    That’s the ‘top’ teams, who have the skill/confidence and teams like WBA who just weren’t up for it.

Against teams who pressure us, we just don’t cope. Shelvey becomes anonymous, Sissoko likewise.
    We HAVE to learn how to counter the pressing.

Tiote helps in midfield but that’s just part of the story. Colback can do much the same job.

• 62 toonincheek // Feb 8, 2016 at 3:29 AM

Tiote ‘goal’.

Rightly disallowed, though on an unsound basis.

Have to feel for the linesmen.
    They only signal for offside when the offending player interferes with play.
    But how can the linesman judge when the keeper may be unsighted?
    He can’t.

Although the ball swerved, I reckon Foster would probably have had it covered were it not for Mitro blocking his view. Have to give the benefit to the keeper.

• 63 Moonraker15 // Feb 8, 2016 at 3:43 AM

Hatley
    what are you on about? Krul’s kicking is pathetc! Elliot’s is much better!

• 64 The overrated Frenchman // Feb 8, 2016 at 3:44 AM

I really like Mitrovic too. OK he has missed too many chances, but a lot of them have been half-chances really – first time shots under pressure and the like. They are not as easy as they look. I’ve mentioned this before. When Shearer was going through a dry spell his response was “put the ball on the ground in front of me and I’ll score”. That’s exactly what Shelvey did for Mitrovic and his finish was clinical, just like a proper striker. I am as critical as anyone of this squad but this kid is a potential star. Baffles me that even usually astute judges like nufc.com get the boots into him.

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:09 AM

jimmy,
    I’m not sure if he would had anyone better than WBA turned up, he got seriously punished against Everton, I hope Dummet is fit for Chelsea

• 66 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:10 AM

I like Mitro too, though I’m not entirely sure why?

Like Rivierre, his goals to games record is about as good as mine would be, but I’m not so forgiving of Rivierre, who otherwise was perhaps just as good.

Mitro has got a bit of menace about him, and youth, and you desperately want him to come good, and of course we desperately need him to.

I suppose all that might have something to do with it. Plus of course, Rivierre is French, and apart from Cabaye I don’t think we’ve ever really had a particularly good one, and he didn’t always fancy it either.

• 67 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:13 AM

Apart from the splendid Ginola and Robert of course! A different vintage altogether.

• 68 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:22 AM

Mornings…I just woke up this morning to see Mitro being compared to Shearer when it comes to defend his lack of goals it seems. Am I getting this right?

Does that mean we will continue to compare the two because there is nothing more than we would like than for Mitro to turn in to another Shearer 🙂

LR32…just remember Shearer turned 21 in August 1991 and in that year he was awarded the top scorer award among other awards. Everything that comes after is well known 😉

• 69 Ron Knee // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:27 AM

Morning jesper

Doumbia will be in action this evening apparently:-

• 70 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:31 AM

Ok, ok, so you also have Molière, Victor Hugo, Edith Piaf, Jacques-Yves Cousteau, Gen Charles de Gaulle, Abbé Pierre, or my own personal favourites, camembert, champagne, Bridgette Bardot and Jacques Tatti, who are all ya very creditable French types, granted, but I don’t recall any of those luminaries lacing on a boot for NUFC.

• 71 Ron Knee // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:36 AM

jimmy

Didn’t Victor Hugo write ‘Les Misérables’ with NUFC in mind?

• 72 Jib // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:37 AM

PSG lead Ligue 1 by 24 points
    What a farce !!!!

• 73 Lilongwe Geordie // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:38 AM

Jesper,
    Shearer won his first top goalscorer award in the 93/94 season. Up until he left Southampton he had played 118 league games with just 23 goals. As a 21 year old he managed 13 league goals for Southampton, that tally got him his move to Blackburn.

Not really sure why we are making comparisons between the two players formative years mind, and it will need Newcastle to improve drastically for Mitro to even have a chance of getting near Shearer’s goal haul in the top flight.

• 74 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:45 AM

Yes, of coursee “Les Miserable”, Hugo’s unauthorised and timewise quite astonishing biography of Stephane Guivarch.

• 75 Ron Knee // Feb 8, 2016 at 6:50 AM

… foreshadowing Graham Carr’s forays into France.

• 76 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:04 AM

Shearer, of course, had many qualities, but the obvious over Mitro is pace, other than finishing.

Shearer wasn’t exactly quick, but quick enough, all things considered, but Mitro might not be, even to hold his own at this level, much less reach that sort of level.

But he has got something, certainly.

Maybe the onus falls elsewhere, seeing as we scouted him, and now have him.

• 77 firebug666 // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:11 AM

I expect Mitro will kick on now he will have taken a bit of confidence from that goal.

What he really needs now is more of that type of service, he has struggled on crosses, not that he’s had many to work with, but in the box he is pushed, pulled, kicked, nipped etc, etc, and so snatches at his chances.

I hope that now he will calm down and take more of those chances, because if ever we needed him to start scoring it’s now.

• 78 nut meg // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:22 AM

Don’t forget that Shearer was brought up in the English way of playing while Mitro was in much lower leagues.It all takes time to make the adjustments with the changes the boy has had to make.Regardless, he looks to have a great future.

• 79 Mag52 // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Aznavour was a great little inside left in his time wasn’t he ?

• 80 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM

Lilongwe…I cannot find how many goals Shearer scored the last year at SOTON (91-92) but I found this

Lilongwe…Shearer turned 21 that season and the season after at Blackburn (I followed Rovers as a kid) he was scoring for fun. I was just trying to understand why we were comparing.

Morning Ron…Doumbia needs the game time, would have been foolish to have used him against WBA taking everything into account 🙂

• 81 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:38 AM

Lilongwe…just found the info myself. 13 goals that last season at SOTON as you say :).

• 82 Whumpie // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:41 AM

I’ve just seen the comments from Taylor.
    Oh dear. Good player but still a nob. Why can’t he just fekkin play instead of cocking about? And as for how us fans would have turned on the team after 5 minutes if they’d played badly. .. well thanks a lot.
    Maclaren needs to have a word. Waste of a really good CB if he can’t get his head straight.

• 83 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Ha! Awful wee though, that Charles Aznavour, although reputed to have a deft touch.

Then again the great Hughie Gallach was only five foot two in his stockings, I think. Stuck his head on a rail road track, after taking heavily to drink, me old Dad would tell me in his own cups, which was most of the time.

Camus was a professional footballer of course, who I believe much preferred football to philosophy.

As a side note, “French Intelligent Thought”, so long revered, is believed to be waning, as a result of English becoming the dominant global language.

• 84 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM

Taylor is a top class CB, but his record suggests get rid. Actually both Newcastle and his career has been nothing but entirely undermined by his fitness. Otherwise top notch. As good as that Stoke fella, everyone raves about. In my opinion.

• 85 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:51 AM

I think Saylor was an exciting prospect, but that was just about it. He never reached that potential, maybe mostly due to injuries and bad choices (he’s not the brightest of the bunch)

• 86 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:55 AM

It’s hard for me to believe that anyone who can play football at the highest level isn’t bright. It’s so relatively quick and tactical. I think you have to be smart to make it.

• 87 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Lilongwe…it seems it was the 1991 Toulon Tournament Shearer became top scorer of. 7 goals (all goals scored by England by the way) in 4 games.

And he was of course just crowned most valuable player at SOTON for season 90/91.

• 88 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:58 AM

Does anyone remember that tournament? I just cannot recall it 🙂

• 89 jayphoto // Feb 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM

I’m a taylor fan too! Most of our good defensive performances in the last 5 years have come when he has played. Actually think he’d do well alongside Mbemba who has the pace to cover behind.
    Problem is over last 5 seasons he’s shown you can’t depend on him for more than a third of the season. Seems an unlucky guy but any physicist will tell you theres no such thing as luck so I’m willing to guess its either because he doesn’t train/prepare right, is made of glass and ribbon or just goes too full bloodied into everything.

• 90 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM

LR32…that is as a 20 year old by the way 😉

• 91 sing in the corner // Feb 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM

With Taylor it’s the here and now that’s the most important. It’s never too late, but I too fear the rigours of top level sport are beyond him in even the medium term.
    But as a north east lad it would be great to see him have a bit of a renaissance and at cap off his career on a positive note. The value of having the odd Geordie lad in and around the club to young footballers and fans in the region shouldn’t be underestimated.

• 92 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 8, 2016 at 8:02 AM

jimmy…I haven’t seen anything substantiating that?

• 93 mindshaft // Feb 8, 2016 at 8:06 AM

Aarrons did a decent job against WBA although they made it extremely easy for him by barely crossing the halfway line … Chelsea won’t be do accommodating and will be all over him …
    how long before one of Dummett, Haidara , Mbabu back ?
    Think Mbabu might be the best of those but he’s way too injury prone

• 94 jimmysmith // Feb 8, 2016 at 8:20 AM

Ha! Yes, neither have I.

• 95 EllaGuru // Feb 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM

Irish keepers seem to slot in well at the Toon! Remember one Shay Given? I just hope Elliott gets the No1 jersey in France for Ireland!

• 96 The overrated Frenchman // Feb 8, 2016 at 9:25 AM

jesper@68. You may be referring to my post. I don’t think I compared Mitrovic to Shearer. I quoted Shearer. When he wasn’t scoring he gave a reason why. I think you can apply that same reasoning to Mitrovic this season. The service he’s had has been poor. Even Shearer wouldn’t have had a hatful with the likes of Colback, Anita, Thauvin, Obertan etc. up the field.

previous post: Incredibly Upbeat Interview With This Newcastle Player