The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Townsend Humbled By Reception Of Fans Yesterday

9:26 am, Sunday, February 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

Andros Townsend had a very good home debut for Newcastle United yesterday and for once this season we had a threat down the left wing as Andros ran at the West Brom defense continually and showed he can cross the ball with either foot.

The winger almost scored a great goal in the second half,  but the ball hit the bottom of the post with Ben Foster beaten.

Andros got a great reception when he came off late in the game – it was well deserved.

Andros Townsend – very good home debut – hit the post with this effort

And this is the tweet he sent out after the game.

Tags: Andros Townsend · Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Tweet · Twitter

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:29 AM

I wasn’t at the match yesterday and motd didn’t really show much.
    How did Townsend play…Was he that good ?

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:31 AM

He certainly worked hard. I for one thought Tiote had a goodvsolid game, I hope after that they abandon any thoughts of shipping him off to China, Saviet should be bedded in slowly, but bringing him on at 90 minutes was strange, I’m surprised Doumbia never got a home debut either.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM

My thoughts on him were that at least he’s better than Obertan, nothing more than that, maybe I was expecting too much.

• 4 Bambams // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM

What’s your thoughts on Doumbia ?
    I am surprised he didn’t get five minutes yesterday…Wonder if he is fit

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM

There really wasn’t any point in bringing Doumbia on seeing as he haven’t played much and three points were the priority!

Everyone in the forward line were doing well and we were chasing that second goal. Doumbia will get his chance.

I am a bit more worry about where we will go from here…

• 6 lochinvar // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Townsend made a difference because we didn’t end up marooned on the touch line as has often happened this season. His ability to change direction, cut inside and go outside to cross kept 2 or 3 defenders occupied. Net result more space for the rest of the attack to exploit. He also has a physical ability that Thauvin lacked and clearly got stuck into the game which lifted the team and crowd . He will also score so out attack is definitely more potent.

• 7 lesh // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM

After Tiote’s contribution yesterday, if Charnley’s even thinking about letting Tiote, he should be strung up.

We cannot, no matter how daft the offer, allow to let him go until our Prem status is guaranteed.

• 8 nut meg // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM

I seen the game but,like you didn’t understand how they could change the decision. Mitrovic was in line with the keeper but was at least 6 yards away and the assistant had no way of telling if the keeper had his view blocked. I was just curious as to whether or not the pundits had discussed it and what they had to say about it,thanks anyway.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:43 AM

I never got in the ground until a minute before kick off, some thick as mince steward said he wasn’t even at the ground, believed him thinking it was strange until I read this morning, I would have thought yesterday late on would have been a great time to introduce him.

• 10 sparky55 // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:43 AM

The bend on Tiote’s shot is what undid the keeper….he saw the shot, moved to where he thought it was going but it moved a couple of yards in flight…should have stood in my book because mitro was 10 yards in front of the keeper and tiote another 13 or so years away from him…so a stupid decision.

Can’t really fault anything about yesterdays performance apart from the obvious lack of clinical finishing.

All we need do now is take those performances away from home and we’ll be fine but still gonna be very nerve jangling come the end of the season.

Between us Norwich Swansea and West Brom…I think Bournemouth will be fine.

Townsend was ok bu his delivery was a bit hit and miss…a few more games I think we’ll see it was 12m well spent

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM

I am missing something here. One good game and Tiote is suddenly all that. So if he’s crap the next will you guys be driving him to the airport?

He’s been no good here for the last couple of seasons. Shows up once in a while but who doesn’t. More often he disappears or even pick up suspensions and injuries.

He’ll move on in the summer hopefully with any else who cannot offer us 30 games a season.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Tbh Foster literally never moved and the ball was straight through the middle of the goal, I’d say he couldn’t see a thing. Every time you look at that giant (broken) screen expecting a replay, they put a manky 80% off at shite

• 13 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:47 AM

*Am I

• 14 Klatoon // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:47 AM

annoying that Tiote always has amazing goals chalked off for offside. Anyone remember the cracking Left foot drive against City at home that was ruled out ?

• 15 Rotonda heights // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:49 AM

have to say was very pleasantly surprised by townsend. Probably did more in 90 mins than obertan in his whole NUFC career.

He didn’t just pretend to take a man on, he actually did and more often than not got past them, but more pleasing was he got his head up.

Stats didn’t do him justice as a great cross was on a plate for Wijni and AT hit a post as well.

I wish we played away like we do at home. Positivity brings results, not just sitting off all the time hoping to nick 1.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:49 AM

His time is up here but not while we’re in the middle of the most serious relegation battle in the last eight years!

• 17 sparky55 // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:50 AM

The sky extended highlights showed it perfectly…the keeper saw the shot from Tiote,, followed it’s intended flight but it moved back towards the middle of the goal and the keeper was completed wrong footed and his weight was going away from the ball and couldn’t re-adjust.

I think with the original shot being from so far out and mitro being 10 years in front it should have stood.

• 18 catchy in norway // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Townsend beeds to stay on the left side, as there is no point in swapping them over, they can both play on both sides , so I can see no gain in swapping.

• 19 hibbitt // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:54 AM

like jail i was at the match it was very hard to judge townsend as WBA were so poor we had so much space and so much time which i doubt we will get again this season back 4 handled WBA very well but you must remember they were very poor we had good goal disallowed and we miss so many chances i would not have been surprised if we had won 5/6 nil just hope it does not go down to goal difference all in all 3 points and that’s what matters

• 20 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Bloody hell would everyone calm down we beat a really bad west from side at home not Barcelona in the champions league final… Yes we looked better than the last two games but that doesn’t say much cause we were as bad at Watford and everton and west brom were yesterday.

Such a fickle bunch… I’ll wait until we’ve done that for another 2 or 3 games until I’m convinced… And one of eds previous articles made me laugh, starting off ‘ what Steve brings to the board is common sense’ is the the same one you wanted sacked before yesterday?

And as for townsend much better but still not sure on the lad, lost the ball alot and runs into dead ends, same with shelvey again a much better performance but still not a cabaye!

On a positive not, big performances from Taylor tiote and mitro, and for being out of position I thought Aarons did brilliantly!

• 21 cestriasteve // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Who would you have in the Tiote role? I haven’t seen Saviet play much in France so don’t know if he can adapt, Colbeck, not a chance, good utility player but that’s it, Anita, I love his short ball and his Butch Wilkins “the crab” role but he’s not the answer.

Picking up on your previous post where do we go from here, how to we introduce a new CB next season, that’s going to be the biggest task for SM and Willems to the EPL, are we sure???

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Jail…seeing as what he has offered up til then hasn’t been much and that we have brought in two midfielders I am not so worried about Tiote.

But I don’t think he’ll be leaving now anyway. It will happen in the summer and that’s just fine.

• 23 Slank // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:57 AM

I thought Townsend played well. He provided an attacking option that we have missed on the left wing. But he is more than just a winger and completely agree with what Lochinvar wrote.

My MOTM was Tiote. I agree with Lesh in that I don’t see Tiote being sold. He provides that steel in midfield which enables Shelvey to play his natural passing game.

Special praise should go to Saylor and Aarons. Saylor also provided steel and his usual commitment. I was worried about Aarons not being a fullback and also not being particularly robust but he performed well and was helped by a totally inept WBA side.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:59 AM

I don’t know how they have the points like they do, I can’t remember ever seeing a team as poor as them yesterday, but I suppose Swansea, Watford and Everton fans could say the same about us.
    You’ve obviously seen the disallowed goal more than me so I’ll go with your version. Why they can’t have a panel of three with all angles sitting somewhere to call these decisions is beyond me.

• 25 Bambams // Feb 7, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Cheers for that boys.

You might be right goal differencecould ultimately cost us.
    We never seem able to finish teams off when we have the momentum

• 26 welshgeordie9 // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:00 AM

One good game, anyone thinks tiote is crap then they need to go to spec savers, like someone said before to get the best out of tiote he needs to be with someone that compliments him and that’s shelvey and vice versa, remember him and cabaye they were awesome.

• 27 welshgeordie9 // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Tiote is better than colback and Anita.

• 28 catchy in norway // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Take that comment then apply it to Shyeve. Same same in my book,

I think Shteve has done most things right since he arrived, the only thing I don’t like about what he does, is his subs, he leave them way to late,
    His away tactics always seem to be more defensive for the first half, it seems to be more about quieting the home crowd down, I think if we got at teams from the get go, we would get more points away.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM

cestriasteve…if it stood to me Tiote would have been gone a long time ago.

Tiote played because Colback and Anita is not an option right now and Saviet needs to be bedded in. So it was fine with me he started I suppose, but the real answer is in the formation.

It needs changing. Our league position is testament to that. I do think we have plenty of options to get the balance right but I think McC seriously need to look at something as a 4-3-3 or hybrid there of.

The one thing Tiote was always meant to do never really offered was protection of the back four.

• 30 firebug666 // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Unfortunately whenever a decision has even the smallest glimmer of doubt you always know it will go against Newcastle.

Tiote scored a screamer again, and it should have counted, The linesman did not put up his flag because he saw nothing wrong, The Ref awarded the goal because he saw nothing wrong, The WBA players to a man started shouting at the linesman and the ref, and the linesman gave in to player pressure and changed his decision.

So you have to ask who was making the major decisions in the match? The ref? The linesman? Or the WBA players?

The goal should have stood.

However we should have been out of sight in the first half and cruising though the second half.

Reality Check!

I don’t think we were great, they (WBA) were poor, and just as we did last week at Everton they made us look better than we were.

Shelvey was good, his passing was great, but only because he was afforded the space and time to strut his stuff, he won’t get that in other games, and the same goes for the rest of the team.

When put under pressure we collapse, as we did at Everton, so this team still has a long way to go before I start crowing about surviving. There is still a long hard road ahead, and we are still struggling to score goals, even against a poor WBA team.

• 31 murvar // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Well firebug, you’re a little ray of sunshine, aren’t you? When the top four win but don’t play brilliantly the pundits say “you can only beat what’s in front of you”. So WBA were poor ? Yes. But that’s no reason to dismantle an encouraging performance especially when we actually won. If I’ve learned anything from watching football at SJP over the last 42 years, it’s to enjoy the wins when they come cos you never know when the next one will come along.

• 32 ArtyH // Feb 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Really all that mattered was the 3 points yesterday, we played reasonably well against a really bad WBA side. Good points, Tiote & Taylor had good games, Aarons also and out of position. Good home debut for Townsend probably exaggerated by the poor opposition. Still no finisher, hope Berahino liked the atmosphere on Saturday as he is a much better prospect than Sturridge and will be a lot cheaper.

• 33 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 7, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Tiote played well yesterday and one reason was Shelvey. Tiote kept it simple passed to Shelvey who had acres of space all day to control the game and show passing game of to the full.

Townsend playing on the left or right.

Yesterday he seemed to have a free role and swapped wings quite often

• 34 Ravostag // Feb 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Townsend looks a genuine two footed player a rare breed now most super stars can only stand on their so called weaker foot!!

previous post: Newcastle To Sign Manchester United Star This Summer?

next post: Alan Shearer In Complete Awe of This Player Yesterday