The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This is A Very Good Move By Newcastle

4:00 pm, Tuesday, February 9th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

It looks like Newcastle United will be going on a winter break to La Manga in southeastern Spain during our 18 days enforced break starting after Saturday’s game at Chelsea – and the news is coming from the Norwegian press.

The next weekend after the Chelsea game is the FA Cup 5th round and we are out of that competition at the first attempt again.

The next weekend is the League Cup final – Manchester City vs Liverpool – when we were supposed to be playing City at home.

steve mcclaren smiling

Steve McClaren – a smiling Newcastle manager

The Norwegian press are reporting that we will be playing Norwegian club Lillestrom SK  and Russian Premier league side Rubin Kazan.

The game against Lillestrom SK is due to be played on February 20th and the Norwegian League club have already confirmed the friendly – at the La Manga Stadium,  kickoff 3:00 pm local time – on their web-site.

la manga - spain

La Manga is in the south-east corner of Spain

This is what was put out on the Lillestrom SK web-site today – translated into English:

LSK meet Newcastle at La Manga
02/09/2016 – 2:35 p.m.

LSK – Newcastle on Saturday 20 February at 15:00

We have previously met the traditional English team in the Intertoto Cup in 2006.

Robert Koren ensured that we secured a 1-1 draw away from home, but in the return match at Åråsen however,  Newcastle were too strong and won 3-0 .

The match is to be played at La Manga Saturday February 20 at 15:00

The broadcast is on TV2 Sport channel and TV2 Sumo.

This is a good move by Newcastle since we need to keep the players very fit and get some games in to keep up our match fitness and fully prepare for the next game at Stoke on March 2nd.

None of the remaining games can be another let-down like the Everton game last Wednesday.

Tags: Coaching · FA Cup · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Winter Break

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ian Toon // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:06 PM

The Revenant.

• 2 B1GSTEVE // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:14 PM

This is a good arrangement. I dont have any details, but my feeling is that we always come back after a break and play rubbish, especially ater a little jolly abroad. So we will see if this improves things.

• 3 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:15 PM

February 9, 2016
    Mr o

I don’t troll, I did once which I regret but I apologised and moved on. Your antics don’t bother me, my only gripe is that it is ruining the blog for everyone else. You think you have found me which is cute, I’m telling you I’m not that guy. You found a Toon fan in Barnoldswick so that has to be me? Im starting to think you made him up.

• 4 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:16 PM

So I see sissoko has hailed shelvey the new cabaye… Has this lad had a drugs test recently? He might be good, and he might play in a similar style, but cabaye he is not, nor will he ever be… More chance of my ballbag becoming the new Cheryl!

• 5 Tsunki // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Nice little jolly to take the shock of the North East weather off the imports for a week

• 6 Tsunki // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Willo – can it sing? If it can’t it might succeed. 🙂

• 7 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:23 PM

That was actually pretty funny haha. Good one!!

• 8 Spoof // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Ian Toon/Mister Tuff

It’s over ?, what exactly is over, and may I ask what it has to do with me, somehow I seem to have been brought into something, and I honestly don’t have a clue what I have been brought into ????

• 9 WWSBRD // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Shelvey could get to Cabayes level

• 10 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Rub abit of baby oil in and blow on and it might just about mimic a wind chime! And old chezza ain’t that bad, got the voice of an angel compared to half the rubbish these days…

• 11 toonking // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:31 PM

“going from 5th to 4th bottom was not because we didnt buy anyone, there was enough in the squad to at least finish mid table, there was no excuse for us not try to play any kind of football at all during that season, as IMO opinion he bottled it even against the very poor teams who we had a miles better squad than.
    early rounds in Europe where mostly played by kids who won games , so he did mix it up…

simple fact is he is and was not good enough”

so sh1t management is the only reason a team will go from 5th place to 14th place well I shall keep this page as memory to make it easy proof what you just said was said and we shall see how much of this is true next season.

bullsh1t. jose morineo is one of the greatest managers around but chelsea were sitting around relegation zone for the majority of his spell, what’s happened since then might be moving them up but if he were still there they’d probably not be in such good form.

arsene wenger had an arsenal team called the invinsibles, no defeat the entire season now he’s main aim is generally 4th place

As for yourself get up off your @rse and head down to the betting shop and put £100 on leicester city to finish top 10next season because you’ll get good odds thats for sure and based on how you view managers this team should most certainly be in top 10

• 12 Swansea Magpie // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:31 PM

What a joke

Ha ha ha

• 13 Spoof // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM

in fairness to Shelvey I think he could be as good as Cabaye, defensively Cabaye is better, far better but did we see these 40/50 yard passes from Cabaye as regularly as we do from Shelvey, in all honesty I don’t think that there is a great deal between them, both are good players but Shelvey is still only 23 and will only get better, Cabaye has already peaked.

• 14 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:33 PM

WWSBRB – sorry mate I’ve seen nothing from him at Swansea or here to suggest he could get anywhere near cabayes level, still an improvement on what we’ve had and was a nice little through ball against west brom, but got a long way to go yet before that comparison can be made. cabaye was a top for player that we were lucky to have, don’t see any champions league teams ever hassling us for shelveys services…

• 15 toon kk // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Depending on how well we preform at Chelsea should determine whether we go anywhere on a break. Let the players stay on the training ground at home they need the practice.
    We spent most of the season on a f-ing break.

• 16 Mister Tuff // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Spoof -nothing to do with me.

• 17 lukes26 // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM

shelvey’s passing is better than cabaye’s, id argue more intelligent footballer

cabaye’s better at set pieces, better defending, more agile

shelvey’s only 23 though. cabaye came to us when he was 26. Tell me in 3 years cabaye was better; id wager you wont

• 18 Spoof // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Mister Tuff

I know exactly how you feel, sorry m8 I meant to post Mister T rather than Mister Tuff, my apologies, an easy mistake for a thicko like me to make, mind I still don’t know what I am getting dragged into lol

• 19 WWSBRD // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:39 PM

No CL teams chasing after Cabayes signature either mate

I am a big fan of Cabaye but PSG wanted him off and not for a stupid amount of money and he ended up at Palace

Shelvey is also only 23 has a similar if not wider range of passing compared to cabaye, similar pace, similar shot from distance but needs to learn tackling

• 20 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Alright seem to have a different opinion to a few on here but that’s what makes it intresting. Ive seen plenty of cracking long passes off cabaye, and I’ve seen a few of shelvey, but cabaye did it consistently, shelveys got that to prove yet. And as for the passing range, don’t forget cabaye was played as a 10 alot under Pardew leaving less space for the long ball, I’m still of the opinion cabayes passing was far superior, he’s a player once compared to xavi for his passing and who can win a game on his own, just feel some have short memory’s, but accept shelveys got a few years to develop so we shall see….

• 21 Williamson is Bramble in disguise // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM

WWSBRB – not now there’s not because of his age, but while he was here he had man utd, arsenal, and PSG among others trying to sign him every window, OK he didn’t play as regularly as he wanted at PSG, but my point was I don’t see any of those teams ever chasing shelvey at any stage in his career, and on that same note you could say shelvey wasn’t wanted at Swansea so he came to a team at the bottom of the table here… Strange way to make your point by saying cabayes at a club higher in the league, but I’ll accept you’re opinion cause neither of us will know for another 5 years!

• 22 lesh // Feb 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I think Sissoko’s saying that Shelvey, like Cabaye, could be the link that creates attacking moves from the middle?

• 23 martoon // Feb 9, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Hey Catchy you can actually go to a game and get a proper perspective instead of pontificating based on a limited TV view 🙂

• 24 Moonraker15 // Feb 9, 2016 at 8:56 PM

shelves is only 23 and could eventually be better than Cabaye depends how much he wants it !

previous post: Newcastle Star Reveals Some Hard Days After Everton Debacle

next post: The Newcastle Player Who Has Run The Furthest Is ….