The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

At Least One Out Of Contract Player To Get New Deal

10:42 am, Wednesday, February 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 80 Comments

In an earlier article this morning we talked about six Newcastle players who have contacts running out in June and we said if we were pushed we’d only give the three younger players new deals.

They were Kevin Mbabu, Rolando Aarons and Freddie Woodman and we would let Gabby Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux and even Steven Taylor leave the club.

It was a very tough call on Steven of course.

kevin mbabu closeup newcastel goal

Kevin Mbabu to get new deal at Newcastle

And today Steve McClaren has revealed he wants to keep 20 year-old Swiss player Kevin Mbabu at the club past the summer.

This is what Steve  has said in the Chronicle today:

“Yes. I like him, he has got a good attitude, he is a good athlete and he is strong – he’s willing and wants to do a job.”

“He is wholehearted and you can see he just wants to get up the field with the ball.”

“It’s a shame he picked up the injury after the cup match because he did well, it was his first game back at Watford in the FA Cup.”

“We wanted to try that system (3-5-2) and have a look at it.”

“We thought it worked very well – we had only planned on giving him an hour before we changed and did well for that time.”

Kevin is an excellent young player if only we can keep him fit, but it’s good he’s getting a new deal.

Tick all that apply in the following poll.

Who Would You Give New Deals To This Summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Kevin Mbabu · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Steven Taylor

80 responses so far ↓

• 1 croftus5678 // Feb 10, 2016 at 10:47 AM

rolando/mbabu/woodman are musts imo and tbh i’s give saylor a new one just to cover our backsides and keep his motivation for the rest of this season at least.

• 2 Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 10, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Most of the conversation lately has gone right over my head being old school abacus user. But it makes a pleasant change to some of the stuff churned out recently.

It’s a nobrainer keeping Mbabu and Arrons, kids their age are not fully physically grown and injuries shouldn’t come as a surprise. Hence the need to nurture them, given time they’ll come good.

• 3 Tsunki // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM

You need to get with the program, EGB! 🙂

Sorry to keep the Kodi thing going but has anyone managed to chrome cast from Kodi on an android tablet?

• 4 Tsunki // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:04 AM

At last! A Kevin Mbabu article! Yay!

• 5 beermonkey // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:07 AM

no but i believe it can be done

• 6 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Knew it could be used on an Amazon Firestick so presumably on Chrome Cast too?

• 7 martoon // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:10 AM

I think I’d offer Saylor a 1 year contract (on less money of course because of his age). Despite his injuries he’s a good senior player to have around the club and in the dressing room.

• 8 reilly // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:10 AM

croftus try wookie wizard.
    file manager,add source.

the revo will run acestreams spot on.

• 9 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:11 AM

I was 66 on Sunday and it all keeps you young ( oh and your brain hurting) beats bowls for me

• 10 reilly // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:11 AM

• 11 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Tx. Do you mean through Kodi or just stand alone using Acestream player?

• 12 reilly // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM

acestream on its own

• 13 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:18 AM

I suspect Taylor could be offered a new deal but may not be what he will be looking for at this stage. As I said other day though, is he going to get long term contract anywhere in PL. Could be interesting discussions. Seem to recall he stalled before his last deal ( when Carroll was here?) before signing 5 year deal eventually? He is going to be looking for best deal obviously but may have to be pragmatic given injuries)

• 14 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Yeah I run it on my Windows 7 media centre at times but struggle to always get links.

• 15 croftus5678 // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM

cheers i’ll give it look when i get bored.

you got your tablet jailbroken ? can not see why it can not be put straight on it tbh.

• 16 reilly // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:26 AM

any match that is on sky/bt i use the link and use bloodzeed .hd quality.

• 17 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:29 AM

That is my experience if not on Sky /BT can’t usually get Acestream or sopcast. Bloodzeed is brilliant when I can get on. Thanks for link.

Off out now thanks for chat

• 18 reilly // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:30 AM

no probs,glad i could help.

• 19 martoon // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM

magscar @13 – Yeah you’re probably right – I imagine Taylor and his agent would probably want a 2 year deal whereas NUFC will probably only offer a 1 year deal – I’m basing this on what seems to happen with other older players. I think the club will be in a strong position as it’s hard to see Taylor wanting to move clubs as all his roots will be here and of course his injury history will probably deter other clubs.

• 20 Toon-Prodigy // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Looked in and seen android box discussion going on, can someone fill me in with what has happened to Genesis? This used to be a flawless add on for me but cannot get much playing anymore. No stream and such all the time.

• 21 Tsunki // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Croftus no but I thought I’d clear it down and root it. I’ll have a go at getting Kodi to cast then.

• 22 Tsunki // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Beer yes I tried that before but it was flaky I’ll give it another go because I’m a few builds on now and much more stable cheers 🙂

• 23 Gforbes73 // Feb 10, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Can anyone deny they love saylor in the team …..obviously if and when FIT for me personally I love any player with passion and desire to win and don’t see why he couldn’t be offered at least a year surely must bring passion and spirit into the squad

• 24 Average_Contents // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:01 PM

The best help I’ve found in regards to kodi and it’s add-ons is off a website called seo Michael. Just type seo into Google and it’ll come up. Great little help along imo.

• 25 beermonkey // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:03 PM

i didnt go back and read all the kodi stuff this morning
    are u building raspberry pi units ??

i am just looking into it as i wanna build a unit with a screen on it and use it as a multimedia centre and hook it up to tv is this

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I like Taylor, he used to be one of my favourite players but I don’t think he’s managed more than thirteen games for the last four seasons. I can’t see the point in giving him a pay as you play. We need an experienced PL CB with a few more years in him to partner Mbemba

• 27 croftus5678 // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:07 PM

@23 gforbes

when saylors on form he’s imo international quality.

however !!! i’ve watched him throughout his career and if we dont count his injury record and focus purely on his playing ability then he’s still either a very good cb or a huge liability to the point he almost single handedly gives the game away.

every season when fit the fans are either slating him or praising him and he’s either our savior or our failure (i.e. very inconsistant)

hope he stays in form from now on but i think most of us fans have been saying that for 8-9 years.

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:07 PM

I do, but he’s never fit anymore.

• 29 beermonkey // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:08 PM

i am always worried that taylor is gonna do something stupid and rash

for me his time with us must come to an end we need a reliable squad of players whats the point in having a player thats only fit for 3 mnths of the year it makes no differnce whether he is on pay as u play or not we 4 centre backs not 3 and a half

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:08 PM

• 31 expatmag // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Bloody hell

Android this, Kodl that, Raspberry pi or whatever

Its all bloody double dutch to me.

I am still struggling with the TV remote……lol

• 32 expatmag // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM

How are you mate?

Feeling better

• 33 reilly // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:16 PM

adam johnson pleads guilty receives a life time ban from toys r us.

• 34 Setchell // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM

I see Adam Johnson has pleaded guilty to 2 counts of sexual activity with a child, but denies sex charge. Has also admitted knowing she was under age! Hope they through the book at him same as general public, no special treatment because he is a footballer! Dirty bastard. Sunderland have been idiots in this situation, he should have been isolated out of football same as ched evans. Although for the record I still have my doubts as to whether ched Evans done it, he is still denying it aswell.

• 35 Mackems are from MORDOR! // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Really hope this means Adam Johnson is out of the derby match.
    Hopefully in jail dreaming of a tellytubby costume

• 36 mindshaft // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Disgrace that the scum have allowed Johnstone to play whilst knowing he was going to plead guilty to underage sex charges… what sort of message does this send out when allowing Peados to play prem football

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Good thank you expat,
    But your comments this morming boiled my pi$$ !

• 38 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Afternoon all

Thanks to whoever mentioned Robocop for kodi that’s a brilliant app.

On topic, I’d keep Mbabu & Aarons

• 39 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Adam Johnson is trying to get a lighter sentence by putting in a guilty plea.

He has pleaded guilty to Grooming a child, and sexual activity with a child but has denied two further charges of sexual activity with the same child.

The courts should now make an example out of him, he should not be given any special treatment for being a footballer.

• 40 expatmag // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Aahhh well. Its all about opinions really. Everybody has them and if they were all the same, it would be pretty damn boring

• 41 expatmag // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:46 PM

5 years minimum…….and not at a country club either

• 42 beermonkey // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:46 PM

afternoon howr u today

• 43 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Afternoon marra, how are you today?

I have a Kodi box, and also have it on PC but I use neither as I get good HD streams from sopcast and Acestream.

I agree on keeping the three youngsters, they all have a future, the others plus a few more need to free up some squad space for more productive additions.

• 44 expatmag // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Innocent until proven guilty mate……even for a dirty stinking makem

• 45 giimps // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:50 PM

to be fair to Scumberland , he probably denied it to them as he has done till the court case, his agent/barrister will probably have told him they have too much on him to deny it in front of the judge.
    They don’t normally take kindly to dragging the case to court then the defendant pleading guilty after denying it ….hopefully he gets what he deserves and spends a few year in the “special” wing , hel get well treated in there….. Extra special salty sauce on everything and free body bruising too….only right imho ….. It’s what all kiddy fiddlers deserve

• 46 manxpie // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Firebug absolutely but unfortunately the justice system is soft as shit now he’ll get community service and have to sign a book
    Unless he gets found guilty of the other charges the scum should sack him tho

• 47 2 goals 1 cup // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Looks like adam johnson will be going down twice this season

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM

No worries expat 🙂

• 49 expatmag // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM

He has done a deal.

The courts have told him if he pleads guilty, he will get a reduced sentence and when he comes out, they will organise a job with the FA……..coaching the England ladies under 15 team

• 50 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 10, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Firebug and Beermonkey

I’m great thank you.

Acestream always buffers, can’t use it

• 51 123 Dummet Time // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Woodman is the future number 1 he just needs his chance

• 52 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM

I would suggest that Johnson get nothing less than a 10 year sentence, and if you think that may be a bit harsh then consider this.

He used his position to endear himself to a child that he then went on to groom to fulfil his sexual perversions, and then indeed did sexually abuse the child.

He knew exactly what he was doing, He knew it was wrong, He knew he was breaking the law, but he did it anyway.

He is a foul loathsome creature who should be move from society for as long as is possible.

Oh and he was a Makem too. nuff said! 😀

• 53 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I don’t have anything special for a PC mate it’s about 7 years old now, only has 8gb ram and a quad core 3.2mhz processor, but Acestream and sopcast run great.

Maybe you need to clear the cash and registry that sometimes helps mate.

• 54 Average_Contents // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Harsh? Joke if he gets anything less than 20 more like.

They should bring back the death penalty for nonces mate. Fcuking sickos.

• 55 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Judging by his performance on Saturday, I’d support Saylor being given a one year or 18 month contract. Thus, as Croftus so eloquently put it, to cover our backs.

However, judging by Charnley and Carr’s behaviour of late, I wouldn’t be surprised if he would be reason enough not to sign a quality CB.

Saylor’s injury record should be enough to stop them seeing him as a reliable squad member.

• 56 2 goals 1 cup // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM

FIREBUG 10 years i doubt he will even get a jail term he will just get a big fine and suspended sentence and a load of probation people like this should be lock up for long time but sadly it wont happen

• 57 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Get no argument from me mate.

Is Mbabu back in training yet? anyone!

• 58 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:14 PM

2 goals 1 cup

If he doesn’t get jail time there should be a massive public outcry mate.

I agree with AC, bring back the death penalty.

• 59 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:15 PM

I’ll have a go at that

Agree wholeheartedly with you

• 60 Novocastrian66 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:16 PM

In fairness to Sunderland, Johnson has probably pleaded his innocence to everyone who would listen right, up to the point he stood in the dock.
    He is a loathesome creature who will have lied to everyone one this whole sordid affair came to light.

• 61 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:18 PM

You are probably right mate, I winder if the Makems will be releasing a statement distancing themselves from him, terminating his contract etc.

• 62 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Now he has admitted it Sunderland should sack him with gross misconduct

• 63 2 goals 1 cup // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM

if it was up to me i would do this thing like they do in America where they chemically castrate them better still just chop there dick of .they would soon think twice about doing it

• 64 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Newcastle to reduce under-18 season tickets by 54 percent – as young fans could pay just £3 per ticket

• 65 toonincheek // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:34 PM

I would support a new contract for Saylor based on a low basic, extra for being fit and available and with a good appearance bonus.

You have to accept responsibility for players who get injured in the course of fulfilling their obligations, but Saylor has had more than his fair share of salary whilst injured.

When fit, he is a very useful squad member and his commitment shows others what is expected of them.

• 66 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:35 PM

I know Taylor is injury prone and has a sudden rush of blood to the head in some of his tackling but I’d keep him on a 12mt contract as he is a good standby, is well motivated, and can help younger players on. He is not my first or second choice CB but then neither is Colo.

Mbabu, yes, Woodman yes and Aarons yes – none of these lads is anywhere near the finished article but all have promise..

• 67 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:47 PM

The Mag has it’s take on season ticket pricing:

The only reason Mike Ashley is not raising Newcastle United ticket prices – Must Read

The amount of time Taylor spends at the doctors is nothing short of phenomenal, I know he has the passion needed for this club, and does his best, but we never get a full season out of him, and cannot rely on his fitness.

If we can bring in a suitable replacement then I would be happy for him to leave and ply his trade at another club, wishing him well and thanking him for his time here.

• 68 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:49 PM

average contents

Very well spotted – I am an angel who loves irony, hence polymorph, as the debate on mutlitples was getting overheated. King Crimson were/are one of my favoutite bands, so the affinity is still there.
    I am pretty sure you’ve been the only person who has spotted a previous name change too.
    Some folk like to keep their monikers, fair enough, but in the five+ years I tend to change mine every year or so. Low boredom threshold or identiy crisis, who knows ?
    So I was MagpiesFlyHigh in the season when we finished 5th. The YoYo for a number of years after that – as we really did bounce up and down the table, then overtheline to reflect the unbelievable difficulties we seemed to have in signing anybody.
    I’ll stay as 21CSM for a good while now. Not a first time poster….. 🙂

• 69 LGFUAD21 // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM

I despise the Mag.

It’s a joke of a publication.

It’s one thing not liking Ashley and his policies but the way they twist everything to be an anti ashley or pardew story completely undermines them and makes them look like little kids that cant control there emotions.

Anyone seen the Arsenal Fan “This is a conspiracy” video? – I imagine that is what the guys involved in The Mag are like.

• 70 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Mr McClaren should be more realistic. How the heck does he reckon 3-5-2 worked well against Watford? Did we win that game?

• 71 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Oh for the days when the likes of Johnson were transported to Australia!

• 72 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Now that’s an idea, just think how much we can reduce the prison population in this country. 🙂

• 73 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Listened to a item on BBC Radio 4 News this morning about Everton are to be bought by an American and the conversation moved on to another meeting of owners and the….

… renewed speculation about the possibility of the Barclays Premier League ending promotion and relegation on the American model.

F**KIN stinks – stuff the supporter for the money men and TV rights.
    Might come a time for fans to boycott games if it happens

• 74 george smiley // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Charlie will it affect us i think not

• 75 Ravensd // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Best way ive found to stream is using an ip modifying software like private internet access to give you an indian ip address. Then you can go on the StarSports site and watch all matches hd, no popups or dropped streams. The player they use also lets you immediately go back to watch any point of the game, then go back live. I prefer this to kodi as it drops and stutters far too much for my taste

• 76 MacToon // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Always good to have updates on Kodi and decent repo’s to use as it seems to be continually moving/evolving.
    Thanks for all the footballing tips such as recently, Robocop 😉

Ares is back up, just checked again.

Mashup is sorely missed and it’s closest replacement imo, Genesis, seems to be on its way out too.
    For movies I’ve been using The Royal We, ISteam, salts and Phoenix can have some good HD links too.

Installed Kodi on Win10 tablet and works great.

Keep up with the tips, thanks.

• 77 Ron Knee // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:30 PM

It depends when it happens – if it happens!

• 78 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:46 PM

• 79 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:49 PM

A good idea to reduce the prison population may not be too popular with the Aussies!

• 80 toonicle // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:16 PM

No way I’d let Taylor go, good squad player and doesn’t cost too much. Yes, loads of injuries but we are well aware of that. Find a Colo replacement and keep Taylor on for cup games and a backup

previous post: Newcastle Will Go From Strength To Strength This Season