The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

New Signing Tipped To Be Real Star On Tyneside

2:38 pm, Wednesday, February 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

It seems that Newcastle got the very best deal of the January transfer window when we brought in Jonjo Shelvey for £12M – and of the four players we brought in – one on loan – Jonjo could be the one that makes the difference between us staying up this season.

The former Swansea, Liverpool and Charlton central midfielder has made a good start to his Newcastle career and against West Ham and West Brom at homes – both wins – Shelvey has been the star and Newcastle have looked a very good side.

Now if we can replicate our home form on the road we have to have a decent chance of avoiding the drop.

Jonjo Shelvey – in action for Newcastle

His former manager at Swansea, Garry Monk – who was surprisingly fired in December – has said the best is yet to come from a very creative player who is still only 23 years old:

This is what Garry Monk has said about Shelvey:

“You forget how young Jonjo is.”

“He’s got his peak years ahead of him and I think, once he learns that consistency in his game, you’ll see what he can do.”

“He’s got that magic ability to be able to pick passes.” “He can be a match-winner. That’s the key, but he needs to get that consistency in his game.”

“I’m sure going to a club like Newcastle United in front of that many fans and that type of club will suit him.”

We should get a decent idea how we will do away from home from now on – since we are at Chelsea on Saturday in the early kick-off game (12;30pm).

Given how pathetic we were last time on the road at Everton, we expect a much better display at Stamford Bridge and we could even take something out of the game.

A point would be good but what we really need is to shock everybody and get a win – that’s what we really need.

And it’s possible too.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

For this poll click on those you want to get a new deal.

Who Would You Give New Deals To This Summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 JAMSHA // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:40 PM

There are no comments yet … please kick Ashley off by filling out the form below.

• 2 kubla khan // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:43 PM

• 3 manxpie // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Aren’t we on at 5:30? Or has it changed?

• 4 JAMSHA // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:50 PM

• 5 MacToon // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Still 5.30pm Manx. mackems v Man U have early 12.45 ko.

• 6 Belfast // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM

5.30 on your we black and white portable Manxpie lol

• 7 DanToon // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Has the term “Dirty Mackem” ever been more appropriate!

• 8 DanToon // Feb 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Scumbag nonce!

• 9 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Average last thread

Thanks for the tip re seo Michael looks to be exactly what I want

• 10 Belfast // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM

I bet you he gets a slap on the wrist a lot of them do.

• 11 manxpie // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Cheers lol Belfast nah not anymore I’ve upgraded to a 16 inch colour one that I watch through binoculars

• 12 Belfast // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:03 PM

• 13 Belfast // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Aye one of them areials you have to move about when you change the channel? They where the days lol

• 14 manxpie // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Haha shit how did that pic get on the Internet I’ve put on a bit more weight since that was took tho

• 15 Belfast // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Onslow give that tv a bang it’s fuzzing Haha

• 16 bettyswallocks // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Just watching SSN. He’s admitted two charges of grooming and sexual activity with a minor. Very surprised the Scum haven’t made an announcement to disassociate from this paedophile .

• 17 manxpie // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:15 PM

I wonder if sky or whoever is showing the Derby game will have to show it without crowd noise
    there’ll be some unbroadcastable chants going on like

• 18 bettyswallocks // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Not that I would know where to look but I was wondering what their own fans are saying about it. If he squirms out of this there needs to be a huge public outcry.

• 19 bettyswallocks // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Manx……… He deserves to be put in the stocks at SJP and face the music.

• 20 cyprus // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:39 PM

• 21 cyprus // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Thanks Ed 🙂

• 22 martoon // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:41 PM

They must Johnson banged to rights if he’s admitted it. I thought he’d claim he didn’t know her age!

• 23 spaghetti bandit // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Its th late ko 5:30 on sky BT have earlies

• 24 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:45 PM

He is a lying scumbag mate, what is surprising is that Sunderland have yet to make a statement, I would have thought they would wanted to distance themselves from him.

The chron is saying his career is in jeopardy after his admission of guilt, I would have thought it was over.

• 25 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Shelvey’s clearly been a good buy but he seems to be a player who needs a supportive crowd to play for. He seems to raise his game at home but switches off playing away. Maybe Steve Black needs to work on that side of Shelvey’s personality and at the same time, try to identify why Gini seems to fade when playing away.

• 26 manxpie // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Martoon he’s denied the other charges tho so I’d imagine he’ll have to go on trial if they don’t withdraw them wonder if that means they have to wait to sentence him for the ones he’s admitted too
    surely he can’t carry on playing until then tho

• 27 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I bet Johnson’s fiance and her father feel as though they’ve been well and truly taken in by him. They’ve supported his claims of innocence all the way and must be feeling a tad miffed.

However, that’s life

• 28 MadisonToon // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:56 PM

12:30 would be Eastern time in the US – isn’t that where Ed’s based? I didn’t even think twice about it until I read all the comments – I’m in the Central US so I normally see times Eastern and have to bring them back an hour to put them in my frame of reference (late kickoffs are on at 11:30 here). I suppose it would probably make the most sense to say when they will play using local time, but I’ll side with Ed on this one as I’m on his side of the pond.

• 29 Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 10, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Belated reply, been a bit tied up.

Happy birthday, and yes you have to keep the brain cells occupied. I wish I was 66 again and knew what I know now. 🙂

I do have an Android phone and Tablet and a lot of geeky friends who speak the same gobbeldygook I’ve been reading. They do explain how things work and I sit there sagely nodding as they do so but ten minutes later and whoosh it’s gone. I am getting there though.

• 30 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for good wishes

It can be best to play dumb and let the young- un’s set things up and then just enjoy but when it goes wrong you are in trouble.

I am amazed at some mates younger than me who years ago couldn’t even set up a VCR timer – remember them? that will confuse techies on here 🙂

It is a fast moving world is technology and it is very easy to get left behind even if interested. You seem to be doing well anyway and don’t worry this Kodi stuff isn’t mainstream as yet.

Youtube is also a godsend for all this ( and fixing showers, finding new bands etc) often while away wet Fri afternoons instead of wasting them on Blog 🙂

• 31 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Seen pictures of his lass as they were going in to court this morning, she was trying to smile but her eyes said it all.

• 32 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Essex Geordie Bill / magscar

I find that when I get stuck on something, the internet has any amount of step by step how to’s.

Many happy returns magscar.

• 33 Tsunki // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:20 PM

I suppose he had to fess up when a signed “happy 12th birthday” card signed “Adam” was produced. To think a few years ago there was no little disappointment that ‘born a Geordie’ Johnson signed for the inbred. Fitting now though. Eh?

• 34 Tsunki // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM

EGB yep t’internetweb has all sorts of walk-throughs the ones for installing Kodi an it’s addons are pictorial and easy peasy mate.

• 35 Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Must admit I’ve been thinking of looking at youtube if only to properly work out how the camera works, must do it soon!!

Did look at a Android for Dummies book but they are often just as confusing.

On a football note I suppose Shelvey is the new Austin.

He is ours though so I’m happy with that.

• 36 Tsunki // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:24 PM

I think we will beat them next derby three-nonce. 🙂

• 37 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM

I was just reading some twitter accounts were makem supporters still claim he is innocent….WTF he fessed up idiots.

Some people make me sick.

• 38 lesh // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM

I know what you mean and I just can’t understand how the wives etc of folk accused of activities that fly in the face of honesty in a relationship, can even be with them in court let alone hold hands etc.

Presumably the defendants’ briefs must persuade them that being seen to stand by their man (or woman) is something that will sway the court. Innocent until proven guilty of course but smoke and fire come to mind.

• 39 magscar // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Thanks for wishes.

On youtube – it can seriously take over your browsing life if you are not careful – more addictive than this place and with also with some to avoid.

It is almost like if it isn’t on Youtube it doesn’t exist 😉

• 40 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Or (maybe a bit cynical) she is hanging on for the money.

You tube is pretty good though not always accurate. It is always my last resort, I prefer a step by step guide, most have links to help with software etc.

• 41 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM

BREAKING: Chelsea have accepted a £14m bid from unnamed Chinese club for Loic Remy. [Football Insider]

Not sure on this one like but you never know.

• 42 croftus5678 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:48 PM

hmm leeds are so convinced and determined to get armstrong next season they are attempting to make a loan approach for him now for next season !!!

seems if we wanted to loan him to a championship chub he would be in fairly high demand.

• 43 croftus5678 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM

@41 firebug

chelsea are fighting relegation buddy they wouldnt want to weaken there team and make another stronger in case they get relegated 😉

• 44 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I tend to agree mate, just posting what’s there, however they may see Remy a surplus who know’s, and they wouldn’t get £14m for him anywhere else.

Like I said, not sure.

I think Armstrong will be back next season, even though a championship loan would be more beneficial for him.

• 45 hibbitt // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM

if we stay up it will be another loan if we go down he will be back either way its the championship for arma next season

• 46 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Maybe, but then we may need someone to score goals for us next season regardless of league.

If we do stay up it will be an interesting pre-season for us, Macca was not happy about the last one, so we will see what he comes up with.

• 47 Ron Knee // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM

According to the Chronic, Remy would get £7million in wages in China.

• 48 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Well if that’s true he will be packing as we speak. £7m he’s gone.

• 49 Ron Knee // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:11 PM

And he’s supposed to want to represent his country this summer!

• 50 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM

What we doing at 5:30?

• 51 Mister Tuff // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Re Johnson – they’ll have to wait until the case is over for the not guilty offences -then he’ll be sentenced in one go.
    Has been a tendency not to imprison people when they are both willing partners -but obviously a girl under 16 years cannot give consent to have sex.
    Potentially though 7years for underage sex and I think 10 years for the grooming.
    Could well make an example of him.
    Comparing this to the Ched Evans case – when he is sentenced it is going to cause a hullabaloo – Sunderland might be forced because of public pressure to sack him -if he goes down the pan -it more or less makes the decision for Sunderland.
    What an idiot – career over at any top flight club.

• 52 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM

So Johnson will be on bail for the duration of the trial which will start at 10:30 am Friday. Tomorrow will be more legal argument, but the jury has been sworn in.

He has pleaded guilty on two charges and not guilty on two FFS he should be on remand.

• 53 firebug666 // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Mister Tuff

Do the courts work on weekends?

• 54 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Feb 10, 2016 at 5:44 PM

So guys fess up, did faustino Asprillo mess up our chances of winning the title? From the videos I’ve seen he looked a canny player. Scored a hattrick against Barcelona to. Really sad that I missed ‘the entertainers’ era. Now I have to settle for us flirting with relegation and being blessed with players such as: Obertan and Cabella. Lol.

• 55 Moonraker15 // Feb 10, 2016 at 8:26 PM

We’ll never know if Tino’s signing knocked us off and stopped us winning the title but I’ll tell you what, we had a great team and we were unlucky. The crucial game was against Man U at home near the end of season when they beat us with a Cantona goal. Schmeikle absolutely saved them that night but we battered them but just couldn’t score. If had not lost that game we would’be won the league. In the February of that season we had a 12 point lead. I remember Peter Beardsley being interviewed and stating that we had to lose 4 games to lose the lead! Impossible! Well we did and the rest is history but we were known throughout the football world as the entertainers and we were everyone’s second team! Good times and you can imagine the euphoria when we beat ManU 5-0 the following year!

previous post: At Least One Out Of Contract Player To Get New Deal