The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Two Return – Is This Newcastle’s Best Team For Chelsea?

10:07 pm, Friday, February 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 92 Comments

With Newcastle playing so well last week against West Brom and getting the required win – even though it was closer than it should have been,  we don’t think Steve McClaren will be making many changes to the side for tomorrow’s game at Chelsea.

In fact the odds are that it will be an unchanged side.

The only doubt seems to be that Jack Colback is back fit again and the local lad has trained all week,  so it may be that Steve McClaren may prefer his experience at left back in place of Rolando Aarons.

But that would be a little unlucky on Rolando who played very well last Saturday.

jack colback other training

Jack Colback back in training at Benton

So it could be an unchanged team for tomorrow with both Jack Colback and Jamaal Lascelles on the bench – with Jamaal having served his one game suspension for his red card at Everton.

Here’s the likely team and the bench for tomorrow’s game.

Janmaat Taylor Coloccini (c)  Aarons
Sissoko Tiote Shelvey Townsend
Subs: Darlow Lascelles Williams (U21 defender) Colback Saivet Perez Doumbia

This is an important game for us and it’s important we don’t lose it, because it’s our last one until we visit Stoke City on Wednesday, March 2nd.

Anything but a defeat would be good and a win would be terrific.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League

92 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Colback is not 100% fit and is one yellow card away from a two match ban so its likely he would get it if playing left back against Chelsea I would rather stick Aarons there and let him and Townsend cause Ivanovic problems

• 2 ZIPPIE57 // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:11 PM

cannot change it in my opinion

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Aarons had so little to do against WBA I thought he was anonymous, his hooror show against Everton made me not vote for a new contract

• 4 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Hello Ed

Last couple of days it has been much more pleasant on the blog, and I see a few old stagers gradually returning for a bit of chat, banter without any of the vitriol and WUM comments.
    Then a new reincarnation appears, a Mark 1 WUM. It is amazing how much trouble a single WUM can cause. Best of luck in ridding us of Rhys. Let’s hope he is less successful than Dr Who at regenerating himself.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Apart from a few very brief good sjows I can’t see what the fuss is

• 6 AndyMac // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Madness to assume young Aarons will survive at LB just because West Brom didnt turn up last week ? Colback or no backs and go with three CB’s

• 7 bettyswallocks // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Belfast….. I saw that. II feel sorry for his missus and kid. She looked to be standing by him. Wonder what hold he’s got on her or what bollox he’s fed her.

• 8 Belfast // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Jail it’s not him. They’re doing their very best to convince you it’s him though copying and pasting his old comments. 🙂

Now on yer bike.

• 9 toonicle // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM

I’d be playing Aarons back there again myself, neither Colback or Aarons are going to match Willian for skill but at least Aarons can match him for pace.

• 10 Belfast // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Probably lied to his missus Betty like he lied to his club.

• 11 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Not a fan of Sir Bobby then?

• 12 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:32 PM

On topic Aaron’s should not be used at LB stick Lascelkes can do the Dummett version of a LB or Colback but lord not Aaron’s

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Who knows the blog that well though, so of it isn’t Jib then we’re being trolled by a regular reader who knows what a pr! ck he’s been!

• 14 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Oh poop did I just get hooked by some troll fishing?

• 15 bettyswallocks // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Belfast Imagine the poor kid having to grow up with the stigma of that hanging over you. Where it’s high profile it means there’s more exposure and suffering.

I won’t tell you what I think of him but you’d find it under a cows tail.

• 16 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Yo…has Lascelles played at LB before?

• 17 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Doubt it but I don’t see how much different he would be to Dummett

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Still can’t get my head round the fact that a good LB couldn’t have been over two windows, and if the people running the show with apparently £150 to spend, couldn’t see that we needed one, then we’re in trouble !

• 19 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Yo…don’t know other than Dummett is suppose to be a LB right?

• 20 Belfast // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Yer right but read the article I posted on the last thread and look at the times. Unless he’s logged in on about 3 devices and a ridiculously fast typer it’s not him.

It’s somebody who hasn’t been banned imo

• 21 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:47 PM

The defense doesn’t seem to get prioritized that’s for sure…

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Belfast…who are we talking about?

• 23 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:50 PM

2 Windows is a bit generous mate I don’t think we’ve had one since Enrique left, Haidara briefly but his injury put stop to that

I think they were focusing on attack before the prices sky rocket this summer and they believe defensive options will remain similar asking prices but who knows maybe they are just morons

• 24 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Forgot Lascalles is not suspended should just put him at left back no more playing 3 centre halfs in a 352 we will get slaughtered the team does not know how to play that way

• 25 bettyswallocks // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Jesper…. It could be you. You’re currently under investigation and high up the list.

• 26 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Doubt it mate he doesn’t see himself as a LB, the club don’t see his future as a LB and a whole heap of fans think like me that he is disturbingly far away from being a LB

• 27 banjax // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Probably better to have Colback at LB instead of Aaron’s because he used to play there at Sunderland.

• 28 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Betty Boop…you really are a tw@t aren’t you?

…that was rhetoric by the way!

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Yo…I never said I thought he was a good LB, just that he’s suppose (as far as I know) to be a LB?

I have no idea if Lascelles can pull it off. Have never seen him play LB.

• 30 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Dummett be a LB but he plays there most of the time

Lascelles is s good defender who won’t look to get forward and has some physicality but no pace very similar to Dummett

• 31 bettyswallocks // Feb 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM

Jesper….. I was only teasing but with that response I’m starting to wonder now. Maybe your mistakes in writing English are just a smoke screen.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Ha ha Jæsper, the biggest tw@t of the blog, calls bettyswallocks a tw@t ha ha, if only everybody could be as nice as WW… and Charlie in the Gallowgate. ..

• 33 Belfast // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Jesper I think we’ve got a Jeff impersonator.

• 34 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:01 PM

This is probably the best team we have available tbh

• 35 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Well. My sporting weekend is off to a good start. The falcons boned leicester. If it cones in threes, then the toon win tomorow, and england hump italy by 21+ points on sunday(for my bet)

• 36 No Defence // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Just been reading that Steve Mc has been saying we have been to much on the front foot in away games, err we have been nothing but defensive in away games and that is one of wor biggest problem imo.

• 37 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Your Icon has changed colour. Have you had to get a new account agai

• 38 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM

• 39 bettyswallocks // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Jesper…..What’s going on? I suggest you admit the truth now in the hope you can salvage your blog career.

• 40 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:10 PM

No told the blog the other day, As happened to a few like Cyprus etc, when Ed was doing a troll clear out I was moderated, after a brief exchange with Ed he unmoderated me again

• 41 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Ah right, its just you had a red icon last time I saw you. Its gone purple now (see a doctor lol). I wonder if it changes after moderation. That mr O was adamant you were a troll. I kept trying to tell him otherwise. He did dig out some real ones though, but it caused inconvinience to a few unlucky bystanders

• 42 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM

That’s why Ed moderated me, he knows now it wasn’t me. Poor Cyprus was moderated too. I’m glad the trolls have gone and Thank you for your support mate

• 43 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:15 PM

England should trounce Italy

• 44 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Me nice? Thought I was quite the nasty pasty

• 45 Whumpie // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM

I’d start with Dummy at LB if he’s fit. Lascelles next option and Aarons a close 3rd. Rolando excels as an impact sub on the left wing; he’s not right for holding off big, experienced wingers. He’d give it a good go though – good attitude.

• 46 Whumpie // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Oops – forgot to say Colback would be 2nd choice after Dummett.

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:44 PM

I’ve. never seen you say a bad word against anybody on here, unless under extreme provocation @

• 48 WWSBRD // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:54 PM

I know…I let the whole blog down

Cheers for the compliment fella haha

• 49 Average_Contents // Feb 12, 2016 at 11:56 PM

The reasoning of Rhys = exactly the same as jeff/jib/jane.

Pretty sure the last few posts have been posted before under the above too, particularly the cathedral on the hill drivel.

Sad cnut.

• 50 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:03 AM

Still alot of waste on here to deal with it seems…a Boop and the instigator. Jail you call me what you want and you can play your childish little letter games, but it still doesn’t change what I called you many years ago!

…you still are the main problem of this blog. Where are you are there’s always problems. And you seem to can get away with anything…wonder why that it!

Some most entertain your behavior it seems…childish as it may seem. The way of the wanna be alpha dog and his aspirants.

• 51 manxpie // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:06 AM

• 52 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:10 AM

AC…I am not sure Rhys is Jeff?

• 53 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:23 AM

Average if you read this article you can see it’s not him.

He would need to be Dynamo the magician. 🙂

• 54 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Belfast…do you have an idea who it is? It most be someone who has been around for a while?

• 55 MacToon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:30 AM

A different icon/colour would mean a different account? Maybe using a different email or something like that? Bit weird tbh.

• 56 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:30 AM

That Rob Vollans guy trying to delete everything belonging to him on the internet has seriously aroused my suspicions Jesper lol

You don’t do that if you’ve got nothing to hide.

Even his LinkedIn page disappeared after it was mentioned on here.

• 57 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Belfast…I know I have missed something with this Rob Vollans guy. Could you elaborate?

• 58 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:36 AM

Belfast…didn’t BandB make a connection between that guy and some other poster (one who’s former name was the name of a town where they both were from)

…I don’t know if that makes any sense?

• 59 Ibizatoon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:37 AM

Belfast…The issue is we don’t know Rob Vollans and which account(s) he was responsible for.

How can we clear a poster, when that poster could be Rob?

As for your theory of it can’t be the same person, due to the timing of the posts, not everyone struggles to type and send a few words within 30 seconds mate.

However, it is plausabile that this sad sack knows of another sad sack, willing to give a lending hand too.

• 60 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM

It was suggested a geezer called Rob Vollans was trolling the blog Jesper.

Then a few days later everything belonging to Rob Vollans twatter accounts and stuff was deleted from the internet.

• 61 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Yes because Rob Vollans was the editor of the nufc digest website and he was from Leeds.

It was all very bizarre.

• 62 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:42 AM

So was it ToonFromLeeds he was connected to?

• 63 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:44 AM

You could be right Ibiza but I don’t think Jib is daft enough to create a new account called Benwell Boy and it would take a lot of effort to time posts at the exact same time lol

• 64 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:44 AM

Jesper it was me it was connected to but it isn’t me

• 65 Ibizatoon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:46 AM

Belfast…I’m usually not, so let’s not worry too much.

Is it daft though? You could say it was well planned. It has you saying it’s not him.

Beyond that, we have WUM’s, wumming WUMS.

• 66 MacToon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:47 AM

You could pre-type everything ready on different devices and press send at the same time ——-

However, this latest troll has deliberately tried to implicate, what I thought were, innocent parties like when he stole Toonbotherer’s SGITR phrase. Immediately people jumped to link Colo’s best mate 😉

Personally, I thought it looked very “staged” lol

• 67 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:48 AM

Well apparently Jesper but this guy in question went out of his way to delete everything belonging to him.

Well apart from one profile but that disappeared as well once it was posted on here.

All very spooky lol

• 68 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Chancel…that was right I remember now.

So weird shit is going on that’s for sure!

• 69 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:49 AM

What is the point of wumming and trolling? just a waste of time bloody idiots

• 70 Ibizatoon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM

Mac…It’s just a water muddying exercise. Definitely staged, but for what effect?

It could still be the same person, trying to make people think it’s not.

I know the internet is full of them, but seriously, how many different wums could this blog attract that all know the blog and it’s posters so well?

• 71 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM

Exactly Mactoon and this latest one is trying to impersonate Jeff on purpose imo anyway.

Causing a little confusion amongst the masses lol

• 72 MacToon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Well it appears that Ed has weeded out plenty of wums/trolls from the site and they are here for what reason? I posted the definition of a Troll a little while ago and it seems to be for purely breaking something up, stopping it’s flow. A spoiler. Seems rather sad to me.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think this Troll was Jeff. Jeff’s a different kettle of fish all together.

• 73 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Goodnight folks.

If you hear any rustling noises coming from the bushes it’s probably Rob Vollans. 🙂

• 74 MacToon // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:01 AM

Nite DI Belfast lol

• 75 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:04 AM

Well time for bed for me as well! Night folks!

• 76 MacToon // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:07 AM

Don’t we have a match today? Think we’re meeting Chel$ki at a bad time, they are in the ascendancy. Was a bad injury to their defender, maybe it will play on their minds?

Hope we at least give them a game, you never know we might just get a result.

• 77 Ibizatoon // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:16 AM

Mac…Yeah, Zouma is out, plus I read Costa broke his nose.

As long as we give ’em a proper go, I’ll be happy.

• 78 chicousa // Feb 13, 2016 at 2:06 AM

I agree with LCBP at #1 on this thread, and would start Aarons at LB. This would give Dummet and Colback time to fully heal up before the Stoke match. Aarons is fast enough to move forward and work the left side with Townsend as he did against WBA and he can match Willian’s pace. Getting first team playing time will help him develop his game, even if not in his preferred position. The lad has a ton of potential!

• 79 lesh // Feb 13, 2016 at 2:32 AM

A lot of names missing after Ed’s full but some new ones have joined the Blog.

Mmmmmm, I wonder…

• 80 jimmysmith // Feb 13, 2016 at 3:54 AM

That does look our best team, Ed.

I would also like to see Aarons play, because defendsively fullback is largely uncomplicated. It’s enough to get goal side and tight and show the winger the line, and basically compete for every loose ball, and Aarons of course has the pace to go with his winger.

It’s in attack that he offers so much to the side, and he can do it just as well even more effectively from the back.

The skill is of course is recognising when to go and when to stay, and also recognising you run as hard getting back as going forward.

I’d pick him even if Dummett, or Mbabu, or Colback were fit, because he’s not likely to be the one to lose us a game we are likely to lose anyway, but he might just play a significant part in a draw or even a win, if he’s buzzing, and of course he’s such a good player to watch.

• 81 chicousa // Feb 13, 2016 at 4:35 AM

Nicely explained. I’m feeling oddly optimistic about the Chelsey match. I think Mitrovic is playing very well of late, and at some point he will see his chances hitting the back of the net. Wijnaldum is keen to prove that he can score away from SJP, and both Jonjo and Andros want to impress Roy Hodgson who may be in attendance(?). Just hope our defending holds up… HWTL!!!

• 82 HarriboNo9 // Feb 13, 2016 at 4:37 AM

Why is everyone on here wasting loads of there time talking about who is who and who’s changed accounts blah blah just talk about the subject ed has written about only instead of arguing with others and taking so many things personal that has no bearing on your actual life away from a computer cmon guys. We’re embarrassing ourselves as nufc supporters. Let’s talk about the team and not Jeff Rhys etc

• 83 chicousa // Feb 13, 2016 at 4:37 AM

• 84 chicousa // Feb 13, 2016 at 4:42 AM

Exactly! Ignore the trolls and the witch hunts about who might be who in disguise!
    Life is short…

• 85 HarriboNo9 // Feb 13, 2016 at 4:45 AM

amen mate

• 86 check the toastie // Feb 13, 2016 at 6:49 AM

Looking forward to the game.

Something that I would never have said under Parsnip.

Football is decent, just need to get some luck, we deserve some, lets hope Ref doesn’t fancy giving Chelsea the points today eh.

• 87 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 6:53 AM

Check…I think most are enjoying the football more now…still doesn’t make it effective, just easy on the eye.

Morning Ron…we send out an APW on you yesterday 😉

• 88 check the toastie // Feb 13, 2016 at 6:57 AM

Got a strange feeling we may win today, Chelsea are no great shakes, one thing they dont do is press that well, Obe Mikel can barely run, hopefully our three pushed on midfielders can get some joy running at there very slow back four.

Up The Toon.

Gary Neville drones on about himself a lot, its strange how someone doing such a shit job, continues to believe he’s the second coming. Has come across as a Looney in his latest press conferences, speaking about himself in the third person always a bad sign.

Anyway Check the Toastie knows his stuff.

• 89 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 7:09 AM

I like Colback in the team when he’s fit. Tiote played well last time out though so he should start again next to Shelvey – my view on Tiote hasn’t changed yet though (his best days are well behind him and he’s got work to do to prove he really wants to be here)
    Similarly Aaron’s did a decent job at left back against WBA. Deserves to start and get another chance probably. So it’s bench time for Jack, for me.
    What’s this? We have the start of competition for places! We’ll sort of… 🙂 It can only be good…

• 90 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 7:30 AM

We need to be up for a battle today. Costa…Terry…Cahill… Taylor…Tiote…Mitro
    Immovable objects v unstoppable force. Something’s got ta give.
    But I don’t think Chelsea have the desire any more. They don’t like it up ’em.

• 91 Premiership Manager // Feb 13, 2016 at 7:46 AM

I thought that Colback did a fantastic job last time he was asked to fill in as LB. Because he is a natural defensive player with experience he is a better option as this would release Townsend to do what he does back instead of tracking back to ensure Aarons position was not compromised.

Chelsea are a totally different proposition to W Brom and we need a very balanced midfield and defense. If Townsend runs his legs off Aarons can come on particularly if we are chasing the game.

I just hope JJ turns up today as he hasn’t had two good games in a row. If he’s in the mood and up for it we could do very well. It’ll be good if Mitro can get another goal he’ll cause Chelsea a lot of issues as they don’t like physical players which is another reason to play Colback and Tiote in the middle.

• 92 catchy in norway // Feb 13, 2016 at 7:53 AM

Good morning Jesper.

I’m not sure I understand your comment about most people enjoying the football correctly :/.

You say more people enjoy the football but it’s not effective? I would argue that it is very effective, it’s just not being executed correctly , for it to be ineffective that to me would just mean being out on the pitch wasting time passing the ball backwards and side ways, but I think we are we are creative and effective and that’s what makes us pleasing to watch, we just need to take a few of the very good chances that are created instead of being wasteful, I read a stat the other day that said we we bottom of the league when it comes to converting chances created. And for me the very sad fact is some of these chances seem easy.
    I will be the first to admit that in some of the games we have not turned up at all, but for the most part whether it be missing chances of poor reffing, we have not got the points we deserved. We have dominated some pretty good teams , Ars for 70 mins, man c for the first 45, we should have been a few goals to the good in that game before the collapse.
    I don’t fear Chelsea today , I think they fear us more, we are both in false positions, but the onus is on the them to attack, which could play into our hands even more now we have more pace in the team.

A deserved 2-0 to us today