The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Could Be Newcastle’s Unlikely Savior This Season

8:57 am, Saturday, February 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 125 Comments

It’s been surprising to us that Cheick Tiote has played so well for Newcastle this year at both Arsenal and last week at home to West Brom, when he combined so well with Jonjo Shelvey.

Both players were Newcastle’s best two performers on the day in our Man of the Match poll, with Shelvey topping the poll.

Jack Colback is back in training now and maybe he will come in at left back for Rolando Aarons to add more experience at the back today?

Cheick Tiote Southampton +QerSyvbNvANl

Cheick Tiote – Newcastle’s unlikely savior?

But we cannot see Jack getting his midfield position back anytime soon, assuming Cheick keeps performing like he’s been doing this year – when he’s played for us.

And if Cheick is replaced Jack will have to fight it out with new boy Henri Saivet for the position, and Henri’s looked good when he’s played for us.

His move to Shanghai and the Chinese Super League broke down in January, because he couldn’t agree to personal terms and that deal is now unlikely to be resurrected this month.

This is what Steve McClaren has said about Cheick:

“I hope he stays – I’m certainly recommending that.”

“He showed his value, although I also thought he had been playing well before he left to negotiate his deal with Shanghai.”

“He came back and played well, even though he’d only had a few days training.”

Cheick has massive experience in the Premier League and these are the types of players we need to have in action during the run-in to what has been another disastrous season for Newcastle.

If Cheick can stay fit and keep playing like he’s done at Arsenal and last Saturday – that will go a long way to helping Newcastle survive this season – for the second season running.

That’s the only thing that really matters at the moment.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Henri Saivet · Jack Colback · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press

125 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Morning jesper

I like Ed’s typo from an earlier post: Crustal Palace!

• 2 Lindisfarne // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM

He needs to play with a smile, not on his face but with happiness inside and none of us have had much of that, since the turn of 2014.

• 3 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Ibizatoon – Earlier in the week as requested. This was forwarded to me and provides additional information. Can we please concentrate on football.
    35Ian Toon // Sep 29, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    Jail / Dr Ed Harrison –
    There will always be people who will endlessly repeat your lies about me but Ed conclusively absolved me of any blame on the 17/10/2013 @ I believe 10.14. The email was posted on the blog at the time. Feel free to check it out and also contact Ed for verification but he has said that he wants to close down the whole silly saga. Incidentally, I recommended this almost two years ago.

He categorically said that I had never posted under any other name than Ian Toon. You can keep up your dirty tricks along with a few of your band but your fighting a losing battle because posters are bored by your crusade and don’t care for your attempted victimisation.

I would much prefer to post solely on football related matters but I am not going to let you constantly tell lies about me. I hear some say why bother – well maybe because I like the blog and like the engagement with all things toon.

• 4 El Sleeve // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:06 AM

I’d just like to announce that I’m coming home Newcastle, after a 4 year absence, I’m off back to my spiritual home. A place I lived for 7 years. Gonna be getting on the plane in my 1999/2000 home shirt, Newcastle Brown logo on the front, then gan down the Free Trade later on.

Excited doesn’t even cover it!

Now for a good performance today from the lads! HWTL!

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM

I also posted an e mail that held you 100% accountable of posting under at least four different user names.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM

El Sleeve
    Welcime back to your spiritual home!

• 7 cestriasteve // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Jesus, we’ve only scored 6 goals away from home!! Scary!!

• 8 MassiveG // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Why is everyone so surprised about Tiote – yeah he’s getting on, but he’s one half of what was our best midfield combo (Tiote cabaye) since Solano speed dyer Robert graced our pitch

• 9 catchy in norway // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:14 AM

I assure you, I treat them both very differently,

It’s very simple in my book, and it has been the same msg for a long time now, I LOVE FOOTBALL, under p45 it wasn’t football , under Shteve it is.

One tries not to lose the game , and one tries to win the game, and for me there is a huge difference in the 2.

I have also said many times now , I am not employed by the club I have no say in who we buy, who we sell, and I don’t care how much we make it lose, I can not influence anything. What does that mean, it means I want to be entertained, I want to watch football that ultimately brings us some success but should it not bring success I want to remember something about the game that is positive, I want to see us try, I will forgive anyone who tries, I don’t like whiners that cry that they didn’t win , but never put any effort in in the first place.

I don’t care if we are in the championship or the prem, I will still support my team, for to many it’s more about just being in the prem, wrong attitude for me,

Now I’m not stuppid enough to think we should go out and be gung-ho with everyone we play, no but at home we should try and win every game, and away you pick your fights wisely, mentality has more a say in how you play than position in the league, and for me that’s been out biggest problem all season, P45 turned us into losers, always thinking defend , Shteve is trying to turn things around, but it was never going to happen over night.

Shteve was not my first choice , but he was on my list , because he plays the game right, and all in all , I think he has done a good job..

I base all of what I think on what I see out on the pitch, not by what I see on a league table, we kept p45 based on a false position in the league, your eyes told you that the football was poor , but the table said it was ok because we were 5th, well it’s the total opposite for me right now, the table says we are in trouble, but my eyes tell me the football is good and we be ok.

All I want is decent football with people who try

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:16 AM

If you just stuck to one name and stopped you’re vendetta against certain posters then the matter would quietly go away and you could get back to discussing football and fawning over Belfast.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Massive G
    I could not believe the amount of people on here who were happy to see him sold in January, I was very much in the minority

• 12 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Just giving my 2 cents regarding the Adam Johnson case. Think Sunderland have finally acted correctly by sacking this sick individual. I know it’s a sensitive issue but the Las was clearly guilty and I was at the anfield game the weekend and I couldnt understand how the Sunderland fans were cheering him on and singing his name while he warmed up in the sideline. I read the details of the case yesterday online. Shocking stuff. He has really let himself and his club down. I find it amazing he was allowed to continue on playing for so long after his conviction.

• 13 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM

The case of Tiote a man who took the league by storm then tried to become more than what he was now seems to be back to just kicking folk and being a human wall

I’d of sold him in Jan and brought in a younger version of him but I am not disappointed he is still with us by any stretch of the imagination

• 14 BandB // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM

El Sleeve

You’ll need some long ones.

Though Chelsea are favourites, this is the type of game we should be looking to for bonus points. A point would be decent, but our away form has been poor.
    There’s always a chance Chelsea won’t show up as they have made a habit of it against us recently.
    Despite the improvements in our general style, we tend to look best when the other team fails to show.
    And if we keep it even we might mug them with a late goal. Reasons for hope, though we shouldn’t be expecting a re-run of West Brom.
    Respect to all the travelling fans on another long trip.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Very good catchy and a good post too. But the simple matter is the dross under the hapless tuft has far outweighed this pure football you think he plays, there is simply no getting away from the fact that he is a failed and sacked Championship manager who didn’t want to be anywhere near us, he is not up to the job and I can’t see it being any different next season with him in charge.

• 16 Average_Contents // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Belfast from lastnight.

That could very well be the case, just find it odd that jiblet hasn’t posted for a few days (I don’t think anyway, unless I’ve missed them) and this Rhys blurt is regurgitating the same inane drivel as it used to.

Give it a rest. That proves fcukall and certainly doesn’t absolve you of anything. A post typed up by you and then forwarded to you.

Yer right.

• 17 BandB // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:35 AM

He hasn’t been convicted. He has admitted to a couple of charges before the trial. That’s not the same as being convicted.
    The trial on the other charges has just started, and it’s contempt of court to say he’s guilty until the trial is over. Normally people posting on the internet will get away with it, but if the judge decides Johnson can’t get a fair trial because of public comment, he may stop the case.
    So if people want justice done, they won’t do anything to prejudice the trial.

• 18 sparky55 // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:40 AM

been working away in Orkney this week so have missed the JIB saga…what happened?

• 19 BandB // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:43 AM

There’s always the chance no-one has mentioned that all of it might be just one very determined and well tooled person. All of “them” know the blog and its regular posters over the past three years, which is when the serious efforts started.

Genuine new posters are as rare as hens’ teeth. New names popping up right now should be treated with s bit of caution as some of them have taken less than a few hours to reveal what they are about.

• 20 sparky55 // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:45 AM

re game tonight…a draw’s a win, a win is a win win, and a loss after having played well is also a win.

The performance today is far more important than the result…the lads need to come away from this game really believing they can comfortably stay up or we could come unstuck.

• 21 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Band b

Are you suggesting I might be jepridisimg the case for offering my opinion. You realise there was a guy at the trail yesterday who shared all the facts of the case.the things Johnson did and said minute by minute via twitter. I can share the link if you like.

Surely Sunderland sacking him too before his conviction will prejudice the trail. I don’t understand your point.

• 22 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:49 AM

• 23 corkypants // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Tactics today same as against the baggies but a few tweaks

1. Target whoever is playing next to mikel put pressure on him make him go sideways to mikel as mikel is very error prone and doesnt have the best passing ability.

2. Start rolando at left back use andros and rolando to pin back ivanovich as he is slowing at his age and is lacking confidence at the mo

3. Use sissoko more tday as its a absolute miss match against azpilaqueta down that side socks is a beast of guy where as azpi is quite small also get andros to stand up balls to the back stick surely socks can beat him in the air

• 24 BandB // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:55 AM

You can report a trial. But the report has to be “fair, accurate and contemporaneous” or it risks being held in contempt of court.
    All online comment which claims he is guilty of the offences for which he is standing trial is in contempt of court until the verdict.
    If this link is in contempt, it would be a breach of the Contempt of Court Act just for you to re-publish it.
    It can have consequences. Be warned.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:57 AM

The trolling got unbearable last week and Ed has has had a cull of shared IPs and trolling usernames by the looks of it. Jib has stopped posting, coincidence. Maybe.

• 26 catchy in norway // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM

How can Sunderland predudice the case by sacking him, he pleaded guilty, that has a bigger say in eventual events. Sacking him whilst he had not pleaded anything would have been harmful

• 27 nat1981 // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Why does edd keep saying we have spent the most this season didnt man city spend 56m on de brouner and 49 on sterling

• 28 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Band B

Ok fair enough. I take your point regarding posting comments. What about Sunderland sacking him yesterday though. Is that not prejudice?

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM

On Johnson, he’d have got away with it if he was playing for Herenveen !

• 30 martoon // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Ian I’ve no axe to grind with you at all and I’ve always had good debates with you. However I’m absolutely sure you once admitted you were Pushy Pardew – nothing wrong with that because it was quite a funny name at the time. However it makes your denials now look a bit absurd!

• 31 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Johnson apparently misled Sunderland over his plea which brought about his sacking

• 32 BandB // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:06 AM

No it isn’t.
    He admitted to some of the charges earlier this week, which were clearly a sackable offence in themselves.
    That’s why they didn’t sack him until he did.
    He on trial now for serious charges he has denied.
    And the proceedings of the trial are covered by the Contempt of Court Acts.

• 33 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Catchy in Norway.

I understand that now after Band B explanation but should they wait now until he’s convicted to sack him. Not that I’m sticking up for him now…im learning here. I will be reserving my judgement on the case from now on.

• 34 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Band b

Ok. Fair enough. Makes sense.

• 35 geordieboy83 // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Morning all

Think the key today is to get Chelsea turned around. Ivanovic and azpilicueta both have there strong points but I think if the tag teams of aarons and Townsend on left and daryl and moussa on the right attack them then that’s when they can come unstuck. Hazard tracking back can be an issue for Chelsea and can take him out of the game. It’s also key to stop corners needlessly being given away.

Also with Chelsea’s ageing defence I would unleash doumbia with about 20 mins to go regardless of if we are winning or not. Cahill ivamovic amd terry will hate seeing him come off the bench.

But I think we have to remember this group of players won the league at a canter last year so would not be surprised to see them turn it on as hey are more than capable

• 36 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I think society is crazy that when I say he is guilty is seen as an act of prejudice when he has admitted that he is guilty himself. Crazy stuff.

• 37 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Hells teeth, didn’t know Cruyff has lung cancer…
    Not another one. It’s been a bad run lately. Good luck to everyone with this thing, famous or not.
    On today’s games, can’t see too many of our ‘rivals’ getting too much from their matches. So a draw would be great. Still dreaming of Mitro’s fortunes turning further and romping to a win though!

• 38 catchy in norway // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM

I’m not sure which part of guilty you don’t understand, regardless of what a court of law decide his future is, the guy pleaded guilty to having sex and grooming an under age girl.
    There is no need in my head to wait for them, what he did was wrong. And I think he should be made an example of, the jail term should be a long one.

• 39 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Johnson didnt plead guilty to having sex with an underage girl

• 40 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Keep your head together in the early period. We really need him not to get a daft booking or Chelsea will hone in on him, theatrical triple salco’s every challenge he makes thereafter.

• 41 Fostino // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Catchy in Norway.

Maybe you should read my first comment. I said sunderland have acted correctly by sacking him but I then got called out for saying it and that i should be careful as he hasn’t been convicted yet etc. Anyway. Il going to bow out of this discussion.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:29 AM

The last time I looked he had a bioking for every other game he’d played. Does this make him the most booked player in the PL?

• 43 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Oops, I am reliably informed it’s triple Salchow ( well actually I googled it would you believe? 🙂 – someone has to fill in for Tyneside’s silver tongued cavalier while he’s on a little break)

• 44 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Alright Jail?
    Ha ha as you well know wor Jack has that honour you wag.

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Does Colback have more?

• 46 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Oh yes, 9 I thought…

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM

I mean in general, not this season

• 48 sing in the corner // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Apparently Norwich’s Tettey has one more yellow. I could get addicted to this, so I’m gonna stop it before it gets outa control!
    It’s either that or googlers anonymous.

• 49 hibbitt // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:50 AM

dont care if we get beat today but do hope we turn up and at lest have ago at chelsea…… we need a performance today anything more then that would be great

• 50 SUTTY1978 // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Read your defence of McClaren. I tend to agree with you 50%. Yes we look to play decent football at home but away from home it’s the same defensive crap that Pardew had us playing. It has the same or worse results as well. Multi goal hammerings and only 6 goals scored away from home.
    Also although we have played some good stuff at home there have been plenty of games where we have been useless. Hence the woeful league position.
    Missed chances have cost us but there have been many games where the oppositions lack of finishing has either enabled us to grab a point or three or stopped us from getting an even bigger roasting.

• 51 SUTTY1978 // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:56 AM

We shouldn’t have anything to fear from Chelsea today, they are only a handful of points above us and have been every bit as bad as us at times this season. Need to treat it like a home game and go at them, if we sit back they will win.
    There’s no point us trying to play on the counter as you need to be clinical to do that. We might get 15 chances and score 1 or 2 if we really attack them. If we play on the counter we will probably get 4 or 5 chances and score none.

• 52 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Anyone at Little Benton this morning? NUFC v Man City u18s about to K.O. Old Blackas is in the high viz.

• 53 No Defence // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM

I have a feeling Steve mc might even start the game with Colback in along side Tiote and move Johjo further up Cabye role and drop Winaldum for the first half, and leave young Aarons at left back.

• 54 check the toastie // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:06 AM

wwsbrd – only because the young lass didn’t want too, so it seems in the messages between the two.

mister smart arse you are. bloke has a serious problem and is a complete assh0le and you think the best thing to do is to score a point based on semantics, deserves Jail. Sexual activity with her and implying it was just a matter of time before he had his evil way with her.

Sunderland as a club should be ashamed of themselves for playing him whilst he had been charged. playing a player whilst charged with grooming, great example to set.

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Is your macaw jacket in the wash

• 56 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM

martoon- I have always enjoyed the craic as well. Not guilty, but he is the only character the usual suspects have linked me with that I had actually met. It was soon after Pardew pushing a linesman, in the Spurs game I believe. He was joking about it in a group having just been involved in negotiating to buy a share in a nearby gym. I was on a stag do. He’s a colourful outgoing type as his entries on the blog showed.
    You thinking that does show that If you repeat something enough times people believe it. Like Gordon Brown’s no more boom and bust.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Who’s mister smart ar$e ?

• 58 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:10 AM

BREAKING NEWS ! Adam Johnson wants to sign for Manchester United after hearing they have players who are Young, Blind and Keane !!

• 59 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM

I’m giving the macaw a rest today. 1 -0 to City who’ve had most of the play.

• 60 LGFUAD21 // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM

If dummet was fit I’d say I think we have a chance today.

However, I just don’t think Aarons can do the defensive business.

On the plus side it’ll do him the world of good playing there.

I remember di Maria crediting his development to playing left back for a while at benfica.

I honestly don’t think Colback has a first team place anymore.

We need Shelvey and Gini and we need a dm which has to be tiote or Saivet.

• 61 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Colback has a big part to play to ensure our survival in the PL.

• 62 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Its not semantics is fasts, Johnson didnt plead guilty to having sex with an underage girl

As for Sunderland pretty sure the agreed ideology is innocent until proven guilty, am sure they questioned him about it and he denied it and once it became evident he had done something wrong they quickly moved to sack him

And u can call me what u like bud

• 63 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Least he thinks am smart I suppose

• 64 sparky55 // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM

cheers Jail

not before time to be fair

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Ian Toon,
    I thought you met him while staying at a travelodge, colourful out going type, Jeezus H Christ. What about carl who got you a job. The funny thing is I was reading some of you’re posts under Pushy, the spelling of your, the fawning over Tsunki, not Belfast note, the saying I am told and you’re telling certain posters they are good value or are upgrades and who can forget Pushy and Pushy talking to themselves. Coincidence. Yer right!

• 66 lesh // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Johnson ain’t been convicted yet. He pleaded guilty to two charges and that would’ve been enough to sack him.

• 67 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Jail – It was a Premier Inn in Team Valley. A gym is next door. I won’t respond to the rest of your garbage.
    What are you so afraid of!

• 68 banjax // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM

After spending in excess of £80 million on players this season there is no excuse now for McLaren to get a result at Chelsea today and if I were Mike Ashley I would be expecting a minimum of a draw. If we get beat (which is more likely) then Mike Ashley has an 18 day window to bring in a manager who can get the results to drag us out of the relegation mire. ‘Judge me after 10 games’ McLaren – has had more time and money than any manager over this period ever at Newcastle. He has been backed with the support of the board, who at other clubs he would have been sacked long ago. The time to act is now Mr Ashley because if the Newcastle players can’t get themselves up for the fight on this one, then the Manager simply isn’t good enough.

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Ian etc,
    Premier inn, travelodge yatter yatter.

• 70 pawl250 // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM

We should have bought Luuk De Jong in the window. I was never convinced he got a fair chance on his loan here, and was constantly played behind the striker opposed to leading the line.

His goal record albeit in Holland is phenomenal.

As for Adam Johnson, its dodgey ground to comment on and ongoing case, but I believe the club may have sacked him as 30 minutes before the announcement Adidas his own personal sponsor sacked him. It would have onlu increased the pressure on Sunderland.

Please note I have not said he is guilty or not as it’s an ongoing case, just my speculation as why Sunderland acted why they have.

• 71 Ron Knee // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Who would you replace McClaren with?

• 72 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Jail – You don’t have an eye for detail. Your powers of retention are extremely limited and yet you feel free to sound off. Hope you have not ever served on a jury!

• 73 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Ian etc,
    You have been found guilty on indisputable evidence.

• 74 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I’m off before Tonto turns up.
    Hoping for at least a point which with a positive attitude and taking the game to Chelsea is achievable.

• 75 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Jail – You don’t have an eye for detail. You ‘re easily confused. You wear slip on shoes and elasticated trousers. You barely know what day it is but your the court of public opinion. How many fingers am I holding up?

• 76 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:50 AM

You’re -LOL. That was for you !

• 77 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:52 AM

At least they are my trousers Ian etc.

• 78 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Jail- The one thing we both want is at least a point. Enjoy your day. I bare you no malice.

• 79 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 13, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Half time at Little Benton. 0-1. NUFC have more than a toe hold in this game but City’s wingers always a threat, although our back line looks fairly solid.

We’re creating very little. One decent ball across the box which McNall failed to connect to. Heaney is the stand out player for us.

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:00 PM

• 81 beermonkey // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:04 PM

cant believe there is so much debate on johnson
    on match day as well

• 82 Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Costa had his nose broken in training yesterday and apparently will play in a mask today.

I hope Steve can get on his case without getting sent off himself.

• 83 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I hope Pushy is keeping well and got over that drinking problem.

Check the bloke maintained his innocence to everybody literally until the very last minute and then he changed his tune.

Think Sunderland sacked him as soon as he admitted his guilt like.

• 84 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM

I hope Aarons isn’t in at LB today

• 85 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:17 PM

I am told that Ian doesn’t bare malice. Let’s hope he doesn’t bare his teeth either

• 86 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Remember there was a lot on here who wanted him at the Toon. A bullet dodged.

• 87 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM

I saw him in Chiswick the other day, he’s massive but now has serious coffee habit. Your so funny by the way, very good value and definite upgrade on Belfast toon.

• 88 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM

A bit annoyed that I didn’t get invited to the gym opening truth be told.

• 89 manxpie // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Macca had it right the other day that tiote just needs to play it simple and win the ball it all went tits up for him when he thought he could actually play football
    all his best games have been when he’s won the ball and passed it to someone who can play

• 90 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Why was Pushy staying in a travelodge anyway

• 91 bettyswallocks // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Jail…… Not sure I should be engaging with you as you are clearly a bad influence and the instigator of nonsense.
    Just read this mornings craic and you’ve ruined me again. The one liner from Lesh was priceless.
    I don’t feel guilty at all , people who spout Shyte all day surely can’t begrudge someone a bit o f frivolity to temper it. Lol.
    On football matters the improvement in playing style under McC has even convinced a certain Viking to condescend to watch the odd game.
    That tells me we are definite moving in the right direction.
    I won’t be watching as my eyes are too red and sore from the salty tears.

• 92 beermonkey // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

21st century

based on football and the fact he is local

• 93 manxpie // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM

I don’t know jail but i hear he carries a big plate around with him too

• 94 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Probably just sleeping off a hangover.

• 95 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Jail- Pay attention. Repeat after me. Pushy was last mentioned as living and working in Leeds. Mind, this was some years ago.
    Gooday sport. See the fawning stakes have been stepped up.
    How do you think we’ll do today?

• 96 Belfast // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Depends how we’re set up Ian. If we play in the same manner as we did against Everton we’ll probably get stuffed. Attack Toon Attack !

• 97 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM

I’m hoping Doumbia gets a good 20 minute run out today, enough to get a couple of decent chances on goal. If he keeps running in behind like he did for reserves, he may get some.

• 98 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Why was he in a travelodge though.
    That’s not very nice!

• 99 bettyswallocks // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Jail…. Blame yourself, you’re the instigator.

• 100 Ian Toon // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Jail- Your confused. Chiswick is around 5 miles from Fulham Broadway. The game doesn’t start until 5.30 and we’re all meeting up in the Chiswick pub to watch the mackem game. Hurry up its your round.

• 101 manxpie // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Ffs scum up already jammy jammy goal like

• 102 Ron Knee // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Ugh. Not good.

• 103 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Ok bettyswallocks, I will. Although, the instigator is normally the one who starts something!

• 104 expatmag // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Mackems 1 up in 2nd minute

Flukey free kick

• 105 Mister Tuff // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Ian Toon at it again.
    You posted the other day that I was being moderated for bullying. I asked you to explain yourself – you failed to respond.

I ask again for you to explain yourself.

• 106 banjax // Feb 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Ron Knee
    Take your pick from Benitez, Mark Hughes, DeBoer, or the current favourites Moyes and Rodgers.

• 107 Hail Wor Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Mister Tuff the arse gazer is JfA!

• 108 Ron Knee // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:02 PM

On the principle that Charnley picks losers it would be Moyes then.

• 109 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Ron…maybe it was a deliberate type-o from Ed? …involuntary so to speak 🙂

• 110 Ron Knee // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Accidentally on purpose?

• 111 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Well look at that. Ian is busy drinking in Chiswick so in steps HWA for his shyte matchday commentary.

• 112 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Sunderland are very well organised so far

Man Utd though there just so very slow

• 113 JamesToon // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Going for a 2-2 draw or a 3-2 win for us, but it’s vital we get the first goal and that we setup to try and attack them, Gini Moussa and Shelvey need to have good games.

I’d keep the same team as last week, even if Dummett is fit Aarons offers us more going forward and he’s not going to improve if he doesn’t get more game time. Hope Doumbia gets some game time

• 114 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Defoe is still a player aswell

• 115 Lindisfarne // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:17 PM

And ex-Magpie Bernard believes his former side have what it takes to halt Chelsea’s unbeaten run under interim manager Guus Hiddink, insisting they are ‘good enough to beat anybody on their day’.

“Chelsea have pace but they’re lacking a bit of flair at the moment,” he told the Sports Bar to preview Saturday’s clash.

“Fabregas is not at the top of his game and they’re missing that clever passing in the final third.

“It’s up to players like Jonjo Shelvey and Georginio Wijnaldum, if they can turn it up away from home then I think Newcastle will have a chance to hurt Chelsea.

“We need to start the game on the front foot. If we just sit back, we will concede. We just need to be solid at the back to deal with their pace and then I think we can get away with it. Newcastle are good enough to beat anybody on their day, they have quality.

“I’m not worried about Newcastle going down,” Bernard added.

“I think McClaren is good enough and the team is good enough and we’ll start picking up points at home. What I and the fans want to see now is for the team to start playing attractive football away from home.”

• 116 banjax // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Ron Knee

You asked for replacement names and you dissed Moyes. So who is your choice then ?

• 117 Mister Tuff // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:21 PM

I’m going for a win providing Shelvey has a decent game. If Chelsea get somebody to stick close/harass him he may not have the time for a long range pass.
    As each day passes though the other players should be getting better to know a run is on when Shelvey is in possession with a bit of space.
    Thug Costa to get into trouble -booked or sent off.
    2 -1 to the Toon. Mitro to score.
    Might see a few minutes from Doumbia – give him a taste – better than having to wait at least 18days until the next match.

• 118 ilovetoon8788 // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Mackems look like they will survive… Us on the other hand…..

• 119 WWSBRD // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM

For a loser Moyes did pretty well with Everton and in retrospect ok with Man Utd…couldn’t tell I about Spain though

• 120 Ron Knee // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM

If it was to try and save us from relegation I’d rather have Pearson.

• 121 manxpie // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Yes get in hopefully the manc’s will actually go for it now

• 122 Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:26 PM

At last Man Ure have equalised

• 123 banjax // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Ron Knee
    At least it’s agreed that McLaren is not the man to save us ?

• 124 Ron Knee // Feb 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM

I think we’re at one on that!

• 125 davetoon // Feb 13, 2016 at 4:26 PM

some bad results for us… if we don’t perform away as has happened recently there will be a lot of negativity around the club

previous post: This Player Playing For His Future Today At Chelsea