The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Player Playing For His Future Today At Chelsea

8:34 am, Saturday, February 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

Steven Taylor is due to become a free agent in the summer but comparing Steven Taylor and John Terry is a stretch at best and John has been a regular in the Chelsea side since 2000 and he’s played over 700 times for Chelsea.

On the other hand Steven has been in and out of the Newcastle side since 2004 but made only 258 first team appearances for us due to Steven picking up a lot of injuries.

steven taylor

Steven Taylor – Mr Newcastle is a stretch

John Terry is certainly Mr. Chelsea, but you can hardly call Steven Taylor Mr. Newcastle.

This is what Steve McClaren has said about Steven Taylor who has only just returned after being injured since last August:

“I joke with him, but he is Mr Newcastle isn’t he.” “He’s been here a lifetime, and this is all he knows.”

“He loves this club and loves the area. As you saw last week, when he plays, he gives everything for the team. I think that’s just his attitude, and we need that.”

“We need the kind of leadership he showed in terms of his performance. For his own career, and his own benefit, he just has to keep on playing like that now, and get in the team and stay there. That’s up to him.”

“You still need that kind of identity in your team. We’re playing against a team in Chelsea who have John Terry who epitomizes that as well. I know JT well and he’s a great player, a great servant for Chelsea.”

“ He is Mr Chelsea, so to leave and not be given a contract would be a big wrench for him wherever he goes.”

“Steven has a chance to show what he can do now,” “Everything’s dependent on performance, but that goes for a lot of players here who are out of contract at the end of the season.”

“Everybody is playing for their individual futures.”

“It’s too early to say what I’ll be recommending. He’s only had one game, and we have to see what happens. We want the injured players back so we have competition for places.”

“That will help make sure players keep performing like that week in, week out.”

“You still need to defend your box, made interceptions and kick the ball away – that’s still invaluable now, it’ll never go away.”

“You still need things like that on the field, and being vocal and being a leader, driving other players on. Steven is what you might call ‘old school’ in terms of that. But that will never go out of date.”

It’s interesting that Steve McClaren never mentions Steven’s biggest weakness – he is hardly ever fit and available because of injury.

Steven Taylor is a good player for us when he’s fit and we are hoping he can put in another solid performance this week at Chelsea as he did last week against West Brom.

In the poll we had on the six players out of contract this summer,  two in three fans want him to get a new deal and stay on Tyneside.

Who Would You Give New Deals To This Summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

But first things first – if we are to get anything out of the game today Steven has to have a good game at the back.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Chelsea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Steven Taylor

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Feb 13, 2016 at 8:38 AM

We all know what he can do and he would be an England regular if he could do it for 30-38 games a season. But the fact is he can’t and hasn’t been able to for the last four years. His future at the club should have absolutely nothing to do with his performance today.

• 2 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 13, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Two gems of description….
    Macca as the hapless tuft
    Jeff as a kettle of fish (think about it !)

• 3 beermonkey // Feb 13, 2016 at 8:55 AM

taylor is 30 now he will want a 3 4 year deal with 3- 3.5mill a year in wages and then a signing on fee and bonuses do we really want to spent 12 15mill in wages on taylor over the next 3 or 4 years

• 4 Lindisfarne // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Red card today then

• 5 catchy in norway // Feb 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM

I assure you, I treat them both very differently,

It’s very simple in my book, and it has been the same msg for a long time now, I LOVE FOOTBALL, under p45 it wasn’t football , under Shteve it is.

One tries not to lose the game , and one tries to win the game, and for me there is a huge difference in the 2.

I have also said many times now , I am not employed by the club I have no say in who we buy, who we sell, and I don’t care how much we make it lose, I can not influence anything. What does that mean, it means I want to be entertained, I want to watch football that ultimately brings us some success but should it not bring success I want to remember something about the game that is positive, I want to see us try, I will forgive anyone who tries, I don’t like whiners that cry that they didn’t win , but never put any effort in in the first place.

I don’t care if we are in the championship or the prem, I will still support my team, for to many it’s more about just being in the prem, wrong attitude for me,

Now I’m not stuppid enough to think we should go out and be gung-ho with everyone we play, no but at home we should try and win every game, and away you pick your fights wisely, mentality has more a say in how you play than position in the league, and for me that’s been out biggest problem all season, P45 turned us into losers, always thinking defend , Shteve is trying to turn things around, but it was never going to happen over night.

Shteve was not my first choice , but he was on my list , because he plays the game right, and all in all , I think he has done a good job..

I base all of what I think on what I see out on the pitch, not by what I see on a league table, we kept p45 based on a false position in the league, your eyes told you that the football was poor , but the table said it was ok because we were 5th, well it’s the total opposite for me right now, the table says we are in trouble, but my eyes tell me the football is good and we be ok.

All I want is decent football with people who try

• 6 dannitoon // Feb 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM