Newcastle spent £29M in the January transfer window and going into the window we had one of the worst defenses in the Premier League, but of the four signings not one of them was a defender.
Last summer we needed a proven Premier league goalscorer brought in, but we still haven´t got one and so we continue to miss chances in games and have difficulty scoring goals.
Joey Barton has said Newcastle should have signed defenders in January so the team could stay competitive in games as Sunderland have proved they can now do with Sam Allardyce shoring up their defense in January.
Rob Lee – while at Newcastle
We signed three midfielders in the January window – Andros Townsend, Henri Saivet and Jonjo Shelvey – and a striker – Seydou Doumbia – who hasn´t played since early December when the Russian Premier League started their winter break – so he´s a little rusty to say the least.
Following on from Joey Barton´s statement that Newcastle should have shored up their defense last month is another former Newcastle midfielder, Rob Lee, who says much the same as Joey – we spent money on the wrong players in January and we should have brought in defenders and a top goalscorer.
This is what Rob has said:
“The two players they’ve bought, Townsend and Shelvey, I like them but if you look at it, they weren’t essential buys.”
“It’s like going to get your groceries and you see something and think, ‘I wouldn’t mind that’.” “But we need a goalscorer, we need a leader at the back, a centre half and a left-back.”
“We’ve got Rolando Aarons playing there at the moment. He’s just a young kid and that’s not his position. For a club the size of Newcastle, that’s ridiculous really.”
“I don’t see much of them live these days but I wouldn’t want to actually. Chelsea was a poor result and a poor performance.”
“That’s the trouble with Newcastle. You think they’ve turned the corner but people forget their previous win was against West Brom who were awful and it was only 1-0.”
“They’ve got a lot of problems but I’m not really worried. I think there are three worse teams than Newcastle.”
It´s good that Rob thinks we will still survive – that would be a huge relief.
But it´s even worse than Rob says because we were short of a proven PL striker, a top center-back and a top left back last summer – and we still haven´t signed them.
Notice these are now supposed to be the top transfer targets for this summer.
So if we do go down these are some of the mistakes that those running the club – in this case the Newcastle Board – have made.
And we made enough mistakes last year that took us to the brink of relegation on the last day of the season against West Ham.
We may not be so lucky this time around.
These are the basis of some questions to ask Lee Charnley next Monday night at the Fans Forum meeting – always assuming the meeting goes ahead.