The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Is This The Man To Partner Jonjo Shelvey?

12:43 pm, Friday, February 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 80 Comments

Vurnon Anita and Jack Colback are back fit again and we suddenly seem to have a lot of defensive midfielders available with Cheick Tiote still at the club and new signing Henri Saivet.

Vurnon has played quite well for Newcastle this season and last season in the last few games he had some good games especially in the last game against West Ham.

In that game he was great and was second only to the big hero that day Jonas Gutierrez in the Man of the Match voting.

That was Jonas’ last match for the club after seven years on Tyneside.

Vurnon Anita +Newcastle+United+v+Liverpool+LCmG7UBOYAal

Vurnon Anita – fit again

Vurnon is getting fit in La Manga with the rest of the Newcastle squad and he had this to say today:

“It has been a good camp for me.” “I have been out for seven-and-a-half weeks – that is way too long for me and the longest I have ever been out.”

“But I am back in training with the group for the first time and my hamstring feels good.”

“I hope to get back on the pitch very soon to help the team,  because it is hard watching at any time, but even more so when results aren’t going our way.”

“You want to help but you cannot do anything other than offering support to your teammates, which is what I have done. But now I am getting closer to playing again and that will be a good moment for me.”

“You get everybody together for a few days with no other surroundings and no distractions, so it means everyone is completely focused.”

“A change of scenery from being at the same training ground every day of the season is also nice.”

“The weather is better than at home, we are able to work hard in it with two sessions a day, and the team will benefit from this.”

It shows the lack of thought given to transfers when we suddenly have Saivet, Anita, Colback and Tiote fighting for that one midfield role next to Jonjo Shelvey.

It would have been much better to have brought in a left back last month or a center-back.

But it does free up maybe Colback or Anita to play left back and both can do that.

Anita played for a full season in that position for Ajax in the 2010-2011 season so he has experience of playing there, but he can also play a no nonsense game as a defensive midfielder too.

We’re not sure when Paul Dummett will return but he seems to have chronic hamstring problem.

It’s good that players like Anita, Colback, Cisse, de Jong and hopefully Chancel Mbemba are returning from injury to fortify the squad.

And maybe Vurnon Anita is just the man to partner Jonjo Shelvey in Newcastle’s engine room?

Tags: Coaching · Jack Colback · Newcastle News · Paul Dummett · Premier League · Vurnon Anita

80 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Feb 19, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Rob Vollans Out!

• 2 WWSBRD // Feb 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Only if we are intent on going to the championship

• 3 WWSBRD // Feb 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM

I take it Rob Vollans running a different NUFC blog?

• 4 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 12:51 PM

You’ve probably worked it out by now wwsbrd lol

• 5 WWSBRD // Feb 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM

He also a WUM aswell or just been advertising his own blog?

• 6 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 19, 2016 at 12:56 PM

I think there are so good options in midfield to partner Shelvey…I am just not convinced McC can make it work!

…probably more to do with him than his options. Lets see if they can stay fit.

• 7 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Take A Chancel On Me // Feb 18, 2016 at 11:21 PM

For anyone interested my twitter is @burboutique

Nothing footy related it’s all for my shop.

sorry for the advertising but I was asked

Rob Vollans (@rob_vollans) | Twitter
    The latest Tweets from Rob Vollans (@rob_vollans). … The new @burboutique Burmantofts Boutique Webstore is currenly under construction but can be viewed ..

It’s take a chancel mate.

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Okay this Rob Vollans thing has a life of its own it seems!
    Glad to see I am not the only one lost here!

Ed…do a piece on Rob Vollans and his many identities (or whatever there’s going on)

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:06 PM

So what’s wrong with Rob Vollans, I thought everyone eas happy with TFLs digest links?

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Belfast…wasn’t Chancel TFL before?

• 11 WWSBRD // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Haha yeah I got that mate just not sure of the importance of it?

Chancels name can’t be that much of a revelation so I assume there’s more too it? He a multi poster or something? I might be being dense haha but I honestly haven’t got a clue what’s going on, something to do with the blog cleanse? I missed that whole event

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM

My real name is not JfA!

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I haven’t got a Danny la Rue on how to use twitter either.

• 14 WWSBRD // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Oh good am not alone in the wilderness it seems am with good company

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Yo…I am waiting on Ed to to a piece on the mystery 😉

• 16 giimps // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Why not play the man brought in to do that job, Saivet should be given that role becaus e he has the tools to do it , speed, strength and can read the game?
    The biggest issue is getting the team to press as a unit to get the ball back and attack as a unit to create good chances.
    Tiote Anita and colback can possibly get the ball back but struggle playing it forward to make it worthwhile.
    A Saivet Shelvey base for midfield with Aaron’s, Gini and Toonsend rotating in am positions and Doumbia to get on the end of crosses and through balls or to pressure the defence with pace and movement.
    It all stems from the back 4 pushing up and Elliott acting like a sweeper keeper, pressure higher up the pitch means e have less distance to cover when attacking but relies on the dm reading the game well and being helped by the defence and wingers when required…….none of which is happening now

• 17 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:16 PM

What is happening to this blog?

I’ve barely used it this year but it appears loads of people are gone and there is constant arguments between a few people….baffles me.

• 18 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Now read this slowly…….

Ya know the regular poster who has about fifty different accounts who knows the blog like the back of his hand and is constantly taking the piss song lyrics blog dictionary etc etc

Rob Vollans aka Toon from Leeds aka Take a chancel.

He’s probably agreed with you a few times 😉

• 19 WWSBRD // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Haha am sure it’ll be an interesting read! Wonder if Chancel will defend himself over these questions

• 20 Back Door Man // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Another day, another repeat:

Written earlier and to be repeated ’till IT spills his guts.

“I’ve been watching the blog for a couple of years and have noted the contributions of most of the ‘regulars’. What strikes me is how petty a very small number of these contributors can be, it’s a shame really as they can often make useful observations about NUFC. A couple of these folk can’t resist the temptation to abuse others or make unfounded accusations; when challenged to provide proof they refuse. It’s cowardly to behave in this way! So, Ian Toon, I think most right-thinking folks here would expect you to provide Mr Tuff with the evidence to back-up your assertions.”

Also, racist hate speech has no place here … good humoured banter should be expected but not:

“Yeah Welshie you effing twot
    Mr Tuff and Jail own this blog
    Behave yersel you taffy tool
    (curls lip like Billy Idol)”

That choice piece from Jib earlier.”

They’ll keep appearing ’till the charges are answered.

Keep it fair & honest … even the ‘naughty boys’ here have value to add.

• 21 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM

And no I’m not posting it in Danish Jesper.

• 22 WWSBRD // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:24 PM

So Chancel is the multi poster King?

Hmm well the Chancel incarnation I’ve had no issue with tbh

Interesting to see his reply

• 23 Average_Contents // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Oh my.

Stumble trip, stumble trip. Errrr, not me honest.

Talk about blowing yourself up nuclear style lmfco.

Come on rob, the games up mate. To be honest I thought it was up with all that nufcdigest nonsense in which you pleaded you’re innocence despite there being far too many coincidences.

As it was a sensitive issue what with you being in hospital and all, and the undoubted backlash anyone would receive if they dared question that – not many came straight out with it. A few alluded to it. Beat around the bush so to speak.

Brass necked blurt.

I don’t know who’s sadder, you for researching it further or him for doing it in the first place lol.

Send me that box mate and I promise I’ll sort it for you 😉

• 24 toontaff2 // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Dear Mike and Lee,

Having a great time here, lovely just to get away for a deserved break from all those unrealistic expectations the Newcastle fans have.

I’d heard all about them before I took the job but you have to live it to really understand it!

Anyway, the European trip is going really well, we are unbeaten so far but come up against tough opposition on Saturday.

Lillestrom will be very dangerous opponents, I haven’t actually heard of any of their players but these Europeans are always tricky.

Fitness side going well…well apart from Siem de Jong naturally. He had just recovered from the sunstroke when he managed to get hit four times during the darts and then dropped a box of dominoes on his foot.

Steven Taylor on the other hand can’t quite believe that a facility like this hasn’t got any sunbeds and he was talking about getting his money back, until we reminded him that he was actually being paid tens of thousands of pounds to be here on holiday…sorry, incredibly hard double session training camp with no thought of enjoying ourselves.

We’re hoping to catch the FA Cup matches while we are out here – the fifth round is always a great time in the football calendar, especially when you can put your feet up and watch them with a bottle of San Miguel, rather than the inconvenience of having to actually play in them.

This trip has already proved to be invaluable, as me and the coaching staff last night really got to the bottom of what has put Newcastle in a relegation fight all season.

During a toilet break in last night’s poker game, First Team Coach Paul Simpson turned to me and said ‘You know boss, we need to score more goals and stop the other teams scoring so many’.

It was like a massive light bulb coming on in the room.

Hope this reassures you that we are now on the right track.

Hasta la vista

• 25 toontaff2 // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:31 PM

15,500 results for Rob Vollans on google – the many faces of Rob.

• 26 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:32 PM

I don’t want a box anymore but my blue peter badge is rusty so I’ll take a new badge.

• 27 toon kk // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM

It doesn’t matter if every squad member is fit because we still lack quality in defence and struggle to score. Our work rate is shocking and our players only turn up occasionally.

• 28 manxpie // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Haha well done inspector Belfast i knew chancel was dodgy firebug will be well pissed lol
    So how many bloody accounts has he got?

• 29 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:40 PM

I couldn’t care less how many accounts people have as long as they post sensible comments and are open for debate.

Too many people on seem to think a different point of view is an attack on them. It’s easy enough to spot who is interested in debate, even if they hold a strong view either way.

• 30 Laurent Robert The Legend // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Yes..He is.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM

You’re right multiple accounts are harmless until they creepily start backing each other up and ganging up on posters they don’t like.

• 32 The American // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM

I’m afraid that would be just too easy my friend. Giving someone who you just bought a decent run of games is an issue at this club for some reason. Even if your last game was a man of the match performance.

• 33 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM

toon kk

That’s the main issue, work rate…we totally lack it the majority of the time.

Look at the top two teams in the league currently….Leicester and Spurs. Both play totally different football. Leicester with direct balls for vardy to chase, playing low possession football but get results. Spurs play a possession based game and also get results.

Both teams though have the highest work rate in the league, in my opinion. They close down the opposition quickly all over the field and when in possession never stop making runs so they can be found.

• 34 Transfer Sage // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Very true….but it’s usually easy enough to spot, especially when they gang up on somebody for no reason, or a very poor/small reason.

I just try to avoid them if they appear to be multiples or have no interest in discussing a point. Those just looking to troll or stir the pot are best ignored unless they want to contribute in a meaningful way.

• 35 manxpie // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Sage it’s pretty hard when you could be talking to the same person on 2 different accounts with 2 differing opinions lol
    that’s fusked up on any level

• 36 The American // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Not for nothing, as you seem to have put a lot of work on this, why does this matter? I feel that Chancel has been a solid poster and contributed positively to the blog. That is honestly more than I can say for other regular posters who only throw out their opinions as canon and bully dissenters into submission or leaving the blog.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:50 PM

No problems with Chancel, YMFB was a pain in the ar$e though, deleiberatelt trolling because nobody would reply to his posts one day.

• 38 Mag52 // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Transfer Sage, where the devil have you been ?
    The board (a thin, flat, wooden object) could have done with a dose of transfer wisdom during the last window.

• 39 Average_Contents // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Don’t do badges soz. Ibiza will sort you out I’m sure

That’s the point of them I suppose and yeah it’s fcuking silly mate.

• 40 BandB // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:51 PM

If anyone looks back over the nights when the trolling has been at its worst since last summer. they will see more or less the same pattern,

An unidentified WUM posting pro-Sunderland chants, copying and pasting nonsense, posting under names that implicate Jib, ridiculing other posters and mocking Ed’s efforts to root him out.
    The only other people often posting were at the same time were YMFB, and Take a Chancel, the latter seemingly under attack from the WUM, but usually calling for the craic to get back to football, while blaming not the WUM, but the interfering “blog detectives” for the meltdown.

It may seem like Scooby Doo, but that was always his intention since he got the cold shoulder over posing links to his own website,

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:55 PM

How come he’s not banned then??? Where’s the odious Hail Wor Ashley these days.

• 42 BandB // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM

The only times it has stopped is when YMFB has been (by his own admission) been under moderation for wumming, which has coincided to the very DAY with Chancel being in hospital.

• 43 manxpie // Feb 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Rob vollans right now

• 44 manxpie // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:02 PM

• 45 BandB // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM

The first thing I am going to do is apologise to Jib. It was a clever fit-up and I fell for it like a lot of others.
    He and Welsh haven’t endeared themselves with the their “ha ha ha” malarkey and some of the intemperate language.
    But Jib has a valid opinion, and has taken the flak, even the misplaced flak, on the nose without too much wriggling.

• 46 Mag52 // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:10 PM

When is the owner of NUFC going to spend less time following his club, and more time on his SD business which is the worst performer on the FTSE 100 index this year ? The shareholders are less than happy bunnies.

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:13 PM

If you think Jib deserves an apology that is your call obviously, I personally won’t be giving him one.

• 48 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:14 PM

I honestly don’t know how many accounts this individual had. There was always a deliberate attempt to pin the abusive ones on other people like. The rest of them usually just chat away to themselves and agree with each other as you do.

The whole hospital story though just shows you the mentality of the person. A few sandwiches short of a picnic for sure.

He probably has one of those vpn things.

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:15 PM

He probably only thinks slightly more of his shareholders than us.

• 50 Average_Contents // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:20 PM

No doubt he’ll be back later proclaiming his innocence, it’s all just a big coincidence.

On the subject of jizz, the worm wriggles furiously as it lurches from one gaff to the next but yeah you’re right although I don’t think an apology is necessary as it’s done enough in support of the infestation and used it for it’s own gain on many occasions.

Each time their own though

• 51 BandB // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:21 PM

He deserves an apology from me for the posts he probably didn’t write which I thought and suggested he did. You can’t send people down for things they didn’t do just because of a “give a dog a bad name thing.”

You seem to have always assumed that the people having a go at you must all be somehow linked, but you, like me and others have plenty of people on here who don’t like them.

• 52 Jib // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:22 PM

To be fair BandB was waaayyyy first in smelling something not quite kosher about TFL .

• 53 Average_Contents // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:22 PM

*Each to their own though

Neither do I.

Off out with the kids, laters all.

• 54 bettyswallocks // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Belfast…….. Well done mate. I always had the feeling that Chancel had a hidden agenda ever since his comments on here when he had supposedly just come out of intensive care. I remember BandB felt the same suspicions at the time but neither of us could quite find the required conviction to accuse him directly.

American……. It does matter because when you engage with people in a sincere way only to find out you’ve been duped , it leaves a very bitter taste.

• 55 Jib // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM

I assume Back Door Man is from the States .

Our transatlantic cousins seem to have difficulty in understanding irony.

Two nations divided by a common language indeed

• 56 hibbitt // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:26 PM

so jib nows a good time to come clean when people are in a forgiving mood which are your other usernames and will you stop using them ????

• 57 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM

This TFL thing is a real pain in the butt. I am not sure what to believe to be honest!

• 58 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:28 PM

American sorry for the late reply

I had no issue with take a chancel mate, but he had a number of other accounts that where up to no good. If you came on at night time and had to scroll through eurovision song hits and half page long jokes every other comment you’ll no exactly what I mean.

The bloke was trying to ruin the comment section on the blog. Why? I don’t have a clue.

• 59 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:29 PM

And Jeff…is your name Jeff or have you just made us believe so you scallywag 😉

• 60 Laurent Robert 32 // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:31 PM

My Newcastle Fans brand shirt came through today, so if you put your reservation in, it should be with you soon as well.

Might be able to add your name to the reservation list for one if you wanted to get one. It has the red city shield in the centre but no magpie badge due to the club’s legal threat on the first batch of orders, in case any of you were interested in getting one.

• 61 bettyswallocks // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Assuming Ed reads the content on here , I’m sure he’ll be relieved to see the culprit caught bang to rights.
    Has anyone informed him? I don’t know how otherwise I would do it.

• 62 bettyswallocks // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM

This blog although full of mental defectives is quite a nice little community where we all basically share the same obsession . So the fact that people care enough to identify imposters who are intent on spoiling things to satisfy their own warped agenda is very commendable imho.

• 63 firebug666 // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:42 PM

It’s a day for the weird check this out.

Maybe it should be on “Where are they now!”

• 64 Mister Tuff // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Good shout for the miscreants to come clean about their mischief – throw themselves upon the mercy of the blog – Jib, Ian Toon -are you listening.

I’m sure following the legal practices of “The Law West of the Pecos” administered by Judge Roy Bean – we’ll give ’em a fair trail before the hanging.

Garnering sympathy by reports of being in hospital, receiving medical treatment, disability etc – how low can a person stoop. Disgraceful.
    There’s clearly more than one using these or simlilar tactics.

• 65 martoon // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:49 PM

I have to say I’m surprised about YMFB because I used to live in Burnley and had discussed a few local places so he obviously knew the area. However hats off to Belfast a brilliant bit of detective work 🙂

• 66 Mister Tuff // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:50 PM

betty – use the contact tab at the top of the page to contact Ed.

• 67 martoon // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:54 PM

firebug666 @63 I wonder if that horse can play left back? 🙂

• 68 bettyswallocks // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Mister Tuff……….cheers , I ll do that. Whilst you’re on, I was looking at some of the pics from La Manga this morning. Our Vernon would definitely give Berahino a run for his money in the big arse stakes. My God he’s got some shit box on him.

• 69 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Well, i have backed tfl/chancel because i never thought it was him, but, sunce i use the mobile site, i have noted that, on the 2 occasions he has claimed to have been modded, he has returned with the same name but with a different icon. This suggests a new account all together, rather than being unblocked. It is suspicious to be honest.

• 70 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Afternoon martoon

Hows it going?

• 71 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 2:58 PM

I really shouldn’t be getting any credit to be honest,

I had a email a week ago that confirmed it but felt a bit sly about posting it on here. So I sent it to two other people and one of them emailed me that boutique link today.

email cabal.

• 72 Belfast // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Lets just say a certain poster changed their email address on here from Rob Vollens to something else around the same time that his whole internet life was burnt.

• 73 Jib // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:05 PM

So was his motive pecuniary ?
    Trying to get hits on his site.

• 74 posada // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Not agreeing with some of the comments on here.

Anita and Colback can be an adequate foil to Shelvey.

My worry is Saivet. Does not seem capable of playing in CM. Does not read danger and does not track runners. In that position you know who you are up against on the other side. If you don’t track their runs then its big trouble.

• 75 G // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM

So lets get this right, somebody is selling Rob Vollens T shirts, but not in Belfast due to scizophrenia? Am I close?

• 76 Mister Tuff // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Woah – a secret blog posse. Very interesting.

• 77 Ian Toon // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Belfast – I clearly was ahead of my time when you were declared a blog legend!
    For what it’s worth I have also received a number of emails in recent weeks largely from the same source. I wasn’t asked to keep the source confidential but it is appropriate to do so.
    The latest one is claiming that Back Door Man and Ancient C are one and the same person.
    Enjoy your weekend when it comes.

BandB- Your definition and importance of hope. Your message mystified me at the time but your insight made me clear that if you are respectful to others then …….. Thanks.

• 78 nufc786 // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM

I think Saviet just needs time and its unfortunate at a club like ours we cannot bed them theses types of players in.

Vurnon anita needs to look at N’golo Kante both are similar heights and i remember Anita was deemed to be to small to play PL by some but Kante at Leicester is exactly the same height but has dominated ever since arriving in the PL

i still think Anita is capable of raising his game he has shown flashes here and there.

• 79 martoon // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Hi YCMIU – it was going OK until a couple of days ago when I started to feel dreadful. Finished the first cycle now so starting to feel a little better but still not right yet.
    To football matters if Dummett is not fit I’d rather see Anita at left back than young Aarons.

• 80 Jeffrey // Feb 19, 2016 at 6:19 PM