The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Questions About Striker’s Age – How He Compares To Shearer

8:54 am, Saturday, February 20th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Sky Sports pundit Alan McInally seems to be questioning the age of Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who is currently injured at the moment and is expected to be out at least two weeks.

McInally was appearing on Gillette Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports last Saturday and he admitted he didn’t realize Mitrovic had only turned 21 last September.

aleksandar mitrovic scores weat brom

Aleksandar Mitrovic – just 21

This is some of what McInally said about Mitro:

“I didn’t realise he was 21,” “I honestly thought he was 25, 26.” “I genuinely, genuinely thought he was a little bit older, and because of that, I thought he should have done better.”

Mitrovic was born in Smederevo in FR Yugoslavia on 16 September 1994.

And as my mother used to say about somebody who looked older than their years – he must worry a lot.

🙂

Presumably McInally is less willing to criticize the youngster given that he has only turned 21.

As  a comparison,  when Alan Shearer was Mitro’s age, which would be at the end of 1991, he had scored about 30 goals in his career for Southampton after about 125 appearances.

In Alan’s first 50 games for the Saints he scored 8 goals, which was through the 1989-1990 season when he had just turned 20.

Alan Shearer made his debut for the Saints back in March of 1988 at Stamford Bridge as a 17 year-old and when he joined Blackburn in 1992 he really started to hit the goal trail.

Alan Shearer is Mitro’s idol and the youngster has scored 74 goals in 180 first team appearances so far in his career and has 5 Premier League goals in 23 appearances so far this season for us.

So Mitro has plenty of time to develop yet – although we need him scoring goals in the next 12 games once he’s fit again.

Alan Shearer ended up with 43 goals in 158 appearances for Southampton and then his goal scoring really took off at Blackburn where Alan hit 130 goals in 171 appearances and at Newcastle he scored a record 206 goals in 405 appearances for us breaking Jackie Milburn’s record of 200 goals.

🙂

What  player and Jackie wasn’t too bad either!

Tags: Alan Shearer · Aleksandar Mitrovic · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Feb 20, 2016 at 8:57 AM

Shearer did that in the most physicaly demanding league in the world. Mitro in Belgium, hardly comparible in my opinion.

• 2 Bambams // Feb 20, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Fellow bloggers
    Some might recall I did a lot of charity work last year for St Oswalds Hospice after I lost my best friend.
    It’s his anniversary on Sunday next when we lost him( Sunday Sun have continued to report on Heb’s story)
    I have a brand new home shirt that is currently being framed, pick it up on Monday. It has been signed by the full squad.
    Sparky55 bought one last year.
    I recall other bloggers stating if I did get another to post it on here.
    If you are interested please contact me on 07832118301.
    All proceeds to go to St Oswalds Hospice
    Terry

• 3 Bambams // Feb 20, 2016 at 8:59 AM

Fellow bloggers
    Sparky55 bought one last year.
    I recall other bloggers stating if I did get another to post it on here.
    If you are interested please contact me on 07832118301.
    All proceeds to go to St Oswalds Hospice
    Terry

• 4 Jib // Feb 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Shearer certainly wasn’t on €2 million per annum plus win and draw bonuses , when he was Aleksandar’s age

• 5 cyprus // Feb 20, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Let’s hope he comes good, along with this new striker. Even Riviera, he had something to show, missed a couple chances, was excommunicated; whereas we didn’t do that with Mitro. Give Rivi a chance, 45′, not 5′.

Oh, and play that new MF too. Don’t worry about subbing Jonjo too, if he plays like he has in our away games.

Crazy how on paper we look mighty good… no doubt, the team needs a couple top additions, but this is a good squad, dam it.

We need to scrape through this year. Then it’s onwards and upwards – surely.

• 6 croftus5678 // Feb 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM

it makes no difference imo !

shearer was in the past and is a huge thing to be proud of as the lad will always be a legend as will many others.

mitrovic is our current striker and is nothing like shearer nor should he be pressured into becoming him as he simply will not be able to do it !

let the lad evolve into his own player. his goals will improve i would have though esp with experience and when he learns to keep a cool head for those easy goals when imo he could have had 5-6 more goals this season if he had.

thing is shearer as great as he was could not do it on his own and almost always had a class player along side him in sutton / ferdinand / bellamy / fergusson / asprilla / shola 😉

poor mit is having to play on his own 🙁

• 7 sing in the corner // Feb 20, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Toontaff2 from last thread
    Ha ha, Macarana image burned on me retina thanks!

SM: ‘Right lads…1, 2, 3. FOCUS!!…hey Relegation….AYE!’
    (Lots of in formation hands on hips and pelvic thrusting)

• 8 sickandtired // Feb 20, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Mitro is young and he does need to learn. Is McClaren the man to bring him on – in a side that stubbornly sticks to playing with a lone striker? I think we all know the answer to that.
    Mitro needs someone along side him and as SBR advised Shearer, he needs to stop playing with his back to goal. That will never happen here where he is used to ‘hold the ball up’.
    I am sure in an ideal world and with a better owner/management structure, Shearer could be in once or twice a week as a striking coach to nurture Mitro and pass on his experience.
    Learning from your idol (or at least an ex player you respect) is exactly why players responded to KK so well – and why no one brought in by Ashley has managed that.

• 9 nut meg // Feb 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Shearer was brought up on English football,Mitrovic is still adapting to it. Shearer had two wingers at Blackburn feeding him with crosses into the box ….Wilcox & Ripley.He also had Gallacher , Newell & Sutton as partners alongside him.
    Mitrovic has had nothing like that kind of quality service so in my opinion it’s not a fair comparison.
    McNally thought Mito was 25 or 26,he really should have done some research before making a comment like that.

• 10 Jib // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:32 AM

If you have a droidbox with Kodi/Operation Supercop you can get thisafters game.

• 11 Bobbybee // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Let’s pile more pressure on the kid and compare him to Shearer! Shearer was the most potent striker in history of the PL and it’s not only unfair, it’s ludicrous. If Mitro was anywhere near that good he wouldn’t be playing in a side struggling to survive. How many other strikers currently in the PL will compare to the legend that is Shearer? Let him develop into the best he can become – which will never be as good as Shearer – without making unrealistic comparisons in his first season.

• 12 GEORDIE69 // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Well said nut meg!

• 13 beermonkey // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:42 AM

jib

what repositry is that on

• 14 Jib // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Beer
    I did a Kodi 15.2 install from scratch so I had to handball it from a zip file.
    This may help

• 15 John Akomfrah // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:55 AM

No comparison

• 16 beermonkey // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM

jib

got that looked pants but i will give it ago

cheers

• 17 Bobbybee // Feb 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Is the game being streamed today, does anybody know?

• 18 Bobbybee // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Jib, you’re the webfinder general, do you know if the game is on today? 😉

• 19 Jib // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Bobby
    1400 UK time
    It’s on Noggy tv so should be streamed – check in about 13.30

• 20 Bobbybee // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Cheers marra. Knew i could rely on you! 😉

• 21 Jib // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Actually – there you go

• 22 Bobbybee // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM

😉

• 23 bettyswallocks // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Jesper…… I apologise if my comment yesterday evening offended you.
    No excuse I know but the wine was flowing rather. Jail made me do it anyway.

• 24 Tsunki // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Got my nufc email saying I could win two tickets to the derby. Second prize……..

😐

• 25 beermonkey // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:48 AM

jail what first

• 26 beermonkey // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:49 AM

tsunki

sorry not jail

• 27 Jib // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Betty
    I fear you may have huffed Jesper permanently

( We couldn’t be that lucky surely )

😎

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Tsunki,
    I think the mackems had managed something like three wins in thirty odd years against us, in eight short years they have won seven times and I’m not looking forward to this derby coming up, I wonder if the hapless tuft will cone out grinning if they make it seven in a row.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Feb 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM

There are over six and a half thousand languages in which to greet jêsper with good morning.

• 30 bettyswallocks // Feb 20, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Jib……. Contrary to what many on here may think he is actually a sensitive little soul.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Feb 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Rather than set up a system where nobody needs to blame anyone for anything they have perfected a set up where there is loads of blame with nobody to blame it on!

• 32 lesh // Feb 20, 2016 at 1:15 PM

If only Shearer would offer some one-to-one coaching for Mitro. The lad could only benefit from Shearer’s experience and wisdom.

It’d be nice if the Club would try to re-build the bridge between itself and Shearer too but the Club’d have to make the first move.

Wouldn’t Shearer make one helluva ambassador (and Board member) for the Club – after all his public profile’s much bigger than Moncur’s.

previous post: Newcastle Manager Tries AgainTo Explain Why They Are In Spain