The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Pleased With These Two Youngsters

8:49 am, Sunday, February 21st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 99 Comments

It was a decent display by Newcastle in the 2-1 win over Norwegian club Lillestrom SK, but let’s not get too carrried away with the fact we won a game – although we have only six wins in 26 league games this season so it was an unusual feeling yesterday at the end of the game.

One we haven’t experienced too much in what has been another disastrous season for the club.

liam gibson lillestrom

Liam Gibson in action at left back yesterday

There were some positive things coming out of the game – not least the form of some of our youngsters like Liam Gibson, Jamie Sterry and the scorer of the winning goal Rolando Aarons – who looked sharp and very good during the final 24 minutes of the game.

Steve McClaren after the game picked out the two young full backs Liam and Jamie for special praise, because they look like future first teamers at Newcastle – if they can continue to push forward with their development.

Steve McClaren – who has come in for some stinging criticism for going ahead with this trip after the white flag was quickly raised in the surrender at Chelsea in the last game – seems to have been pleased with the workout:

“This was a decent work out in difficult conditions but good to see the likes of Jamie Sterry and Liam Gibson doing well,”

“It was good to get minutes for Jamaal and Steven Taylor along with Seydou and Henri. Plus Manu Riviere came back from injury and was terrific. Rolando also benefited..”

“It was worthwhile and a good work out.”

Riviere was terrific?

We still showed unsteadiness in defense for their goal and we must tighten up this area of our play of we are to have any chance of surviving in the Premier league this season.

But it’s true players did get game time who needed it and Rolando Aarons in particular showed once again when given the chance he can be a match winger on the wing.

We need somebody to be a match winner in the final 12 games of the season.

Tags: Jamie Sterry · Liam Gibson · Newcastle News · Rolando Aarons

99 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Difficult conditions? ??

• 2 WWSBRD // Feb 21, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Training match who cares

• 3 hibbitt // Feb 21, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Jail for Ashley
    they had to play with a ball you know how hard that can be !!

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 8:57 AM

I agree with Yo…you don’t need an armband to be a leader. It’s just symbolic!

Basically you could rotate the armband; would probably build character and force alot of players to stand up! Plus we have a problem with benching the captain. Would solve that ?

• 5 WWSBRD // Feb 21, 2016 at 8:59 AM

One issue with rotating it means players can’t build a relationship with refs which could hurt us

But really it means very little these days

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 8:59 AM

I hope emphasis was put on dealing with the ball.

• 7 one fine day // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM

At least we don’t have to vote for our best player from yesterday etc

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Who rotates captains armbanss???

• 9 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:01 AM

How old are these two youngsters Gibson and Sterry? Have they even been out on loan for a long period of time, or are they just expected to take the leap into the first team?

• 10 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Didn’t I tell you? Grass length rears it’s unacceptable head again. it’s a problem that just won’t go away.

• 11 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Oh no not another stick to beat Mike with!!

Funny how any other business that employs lots of people know what the effects of workforce migration will be.

• 12 Munster Mag // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Everything is always triffic in this deluded managers mind. He even claimed that our performance v chelsea “wasnt the real newcastle” which is nonsense again. Going back to the carr wastage point, does anyone really think that charnley made the recommendation to ashley to get smc? Of course not, it was carr, the man ashley rates so much. Perhaps not any more.

• 13 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Jail…does that matter?

• 14 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Oh and they had wind. Chorizo is a harsh mistress…

• 15 Munster Mag // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Jesper,rotate the captaincy? Nonsense

• 16 Munster Mag // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Tsunki the only wind is out of smc’s ever smiling gob

• 17 Ron Knee // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:07 AM

It all hinges on Ashley. If he doesn’t sack Charmless and McClaren if we’re relegated, we could be spending a few years in the Championship!

• 18 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Yeah make Elliot the captain. Or ayoze. 😐

• 19 one fine day // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM

If Collocini really cared as much as he says about this club ,who have set him up for life btw, then he should be the bigger person and go to the coach and offer to step aside as skipper on the pitch at least if it meant survival .
    Surely he can understand it’s what’s good for the team not the individual.
    He would go up a lot in my estimations of him if he did that.

• 20 AncientC // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:10 AM

The only reason the club bounced back from the Championship last time out, was thanks to Hughton and the grit and determination of players like Carroll, Barton, and Nolan.

The 4 characters most responsible for getting the club back into the Premier League, were then thanked by being sent packing, for conspiring to be too noisy.

I do not believe we will go down, but if it happens, I could see it being a different struggle to the last tour of duty in kickers country.

• 21 Ron Knee // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Are you sure it was Carr who recommended McClaren? Or is it supposition?

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Yo…I am not so worried about that yo be honest!

I am more concerned about our lack of leadership and reluctance to drop our captain.

• 23 Jib // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:14 AM

• 24 Ron Knee // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Amusing mix up in photos in the Chronicle article!

• 25 AncientC // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM

From Jib’s link:

Who is to blame for Newcastle United’s current problems?

Steve McClaren – 38%
    Mike Ashley – 24%
    Newcastle’s players – 20%
    Graham Carr – 9%
    Lee Charnley – 9%

• 26 Ron Knee // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:18 AM

This article, not jeff’s:

• 27 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Munster…why is it nonsense? Why do you need that armband to be permanent on one player?…and undropable player!

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Yes Jesper it does, it’s like saying lets play without a GK, and me asking who else does that. Again I ask a genuine question of who else rotates their captaincy and you reply with an ultra defensive answer, a bit like the saga when I asked you what Ashley done last season to save us from oblivion after you said he’s stepped in when things got nasty!

• 29 switch365 // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Was quite impressed by Gibson, granted the lad is raw, but he showed more than enough to be at least in consideration for lb. He has an eye for a pass and seems to be quite forward thinking.

Such a shame we don’t have a couple of junior Phillipe Albert’s in the under 21’s ready to make the step up to the first team, we are so one dimensional when it comes to buying prospective talent.

Whether we stay up, or get relegated, we need to get rid of the complete shit we have and buy 2-3 cb’s who know how to defend.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:23 AM

If that’s an honest reflection then the blame game is set up just how they want it, nobody knows who to blame.

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Ancient…I would have thought Charnley was at the top of that list!

• 32 The overrated Frenchman // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:24 AM

I wonder if another narrow escape will see the status quo maintained? ie Charnley, Carr, McClaren. If that’s the case it’s probably a worse scenario than relegation. These dullards have amply demonstrated they can’t even buy their way out of trouble, they are so incapable. To be honest, I’d rather see us in the Championship with a whole new management structure than endure another season like this, and the last one. I wonder if Ashley ever thinks about that interview before the West Ham game, and how stupid it has made him look.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Your Captaincy should be given to someone who is at least the most likely not to ever be dropped, Colocini should never have been given that honour.

• 34 AncientC // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:26 AM

Jail for Ashley – McClaren is certainly not faultless, but I have to say, I was surprised to read that the dangling pinata is getting the brunt of the blame.

• 35 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Jail…I ask you why it’s important who else rotate their captaincy. Nothing more nothing less.

It’s like dropping your GK? How so? The armband is just symbolic, the last time I checked the GK was more than that…he was rather physical!

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM

If he keeps us up or prevents us from going down rather, he will be definitely given ten games next season and if we win three of them, lose four and draw three then he will be here all season, he’s going nowhere.

• 37 Ron Knee // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM

That’s the $64,000 question. We’ll get the answer in three months or so.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Why is it important jesper, because doing something completely out of the norm doesn’t usually happen, if you could say well the Arsenal invincible s done it or Busby’s babes then you could say yeah, that might work for us, but how would coming up with an idea like that in the most crucial run of games for seven years be a good idea?

• 39 The next Mike Williamson // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Sissoko should be dropped for two reasons. 1) he can’t pass so ruins any chance of playing a possesion game 2) he doesn’t press or tackle so ruins any chance of playing a pressing or counterattack in game. He can break with speed and purpose and that’s all, but only when there’s space in front of him, and even then it’s rare he does.

• 40 Jib // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:32 AM

There’s a lot of talk in the Brazilian press about Ronaldinho spending a season with NUFC.

He wants a straight up $8 million which the club thinks is a lot as he will be 36 next season.

This link is from Peru because I know there are so many (Mr Tuff, Ibiza, and Jail) fluent Spanish speakers on the blog

• 41 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Jail…that has no baring on whether it’s a good or bad idea!

• 42 AncientC // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:34 AM

jesperfuglsang – Charnley probably does the least amount of work, I guess it only figures that he gets the least amount of blame.

My guess is that everything that Charnley gets up to, it just carrying out duties within a framework given to him by Ashley. Charnley’s job could probably be replaced by a computer within in the next 5 years.

• 43 The next Mike Williamson // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:34 AM

put janmaat RW as he can tackle, press, cross, and shoot. mbabu sterry or Mbemba can play RD

• 44 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:37 AM

A good captain is very important to have at a club in my opinion, even from playing at amateur level.

It’s a person who not only leads on the pitch but like other say, builds good relationships (with refs included) which can sometimes get those 50/50 calls in your favour.

Not only on the pitch but off it. A captain can inspire players to do more, can boost morale, provide a great link between the players and the coach.

That’s why a big deal is made of it. You do need more than just a good captain, you need other leaders on the pitch as well. Ideally you want a few players dotted around the pitch who can communicate well and organise others.

It’s not always about the coach, good leaders on the pitch can see things unfolding during the match and make decisions themselves or inform the coach at half time or when they get a chance with a break in play.

I don’t think rotating the captaincy would be a good idea, you need a stable person in charge. What we need are more players in the club who are natural leaders….it’s finding them and bringing them in.

• 45 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Just a wafer thin mint Lee..

No, no Graeme, I can’t I really can’t ..

it’s just a little wafer thin mint….

• 46 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:39 AM

All I’d say is that if rotating the captaincy was something which was beneficial then more teams would do it, especially those who are successful.

I can’t think of a single example where this is done and for the reasons I’ve described above I don’t think it would work or have a positive impact on the team.

You’d end up with players who haven’t got the ability to do it being the voice on the pitch and that would have a negative impact….not to mention how quickly the press/media would pick up on it and make us a laughing stock, which would again have a negative effect.

• 47 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:40 AM

I’m guessing that the article that places the hierarchy under the managers and players in the blame table has a sports direct advert at the foot of the page.

• 48 Jib // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:41 AM

You must have rotating captains who avoid negative running !!!

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:41 AM

I just asked you who else done it, if you don’t know that’s fine, just say so.
    I am by no means fluent in Dutch or Spanish although I can reasonably get by in both.

• 50 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Jail…one of the first thing I remember McC saying was that he needed a team of leaders…he didn’t need one captain.

For me that armband has never been more than a symbol and a necessity seeing as it’s a requirement. But it seems to be very important to you.

I see a problem in it. Especially as the captain is undropable and we seem to lack leaders. Maybe we already have them, but we need to bring it out.

• 51 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM

I think Charnley is easily distracted from his directorship duties by Graeme Carr pushing marshmallows into his mouth with a pencil.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM

I actually think his job is done by a computer and that LC has been chosen for his down rank ugliness because Mikey thinks by having him stand next to him it diverts from his own toad like features.

• 53 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I just think the team lack leadership, whether they have the arm band or not a leader would still be vocal and make his presence known.

Look at the team what had carroll, barton, nolan, butt, smith….none of them great players, all just steady players but they have that inner fight and ability to drag others through tough patches in games…..none more so than Nolan and Barton.

Obvious they had their flaws as well, but they didn’t all wear the armband but they still galvanized the players.

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Oh well if the wally with the brolly said it, it must be a great idea!

• 55 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Mike as md I need to know what our strategy for avoiding relegation this year is

OK I’ll get onto it right away.

• 56 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Ancient…haha 😀

…I am sure he does the least work of them all, but it is of the most importance. I don’t know how the inner works are, but I don’t know why Ashley would see the need in overruling Charnley or why Charnley would want to be nothing but someone’s puppet?

• 57 Ron Knee // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Reminds me of that George Carlin joke: ‘I’m into a new lifestyle that doesn’t require my presence.’

• 58 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:54 AM

TS…the captain has been an important aspect of my football career. It’s been something that has been put way to much empathize on I think…

I agree with that early statement from McC that we need a team of leaders and not just one captain.

I think we need more players to step up and think this could be one way to do it.

Don’t agree with the ref reference. See nothing that points in that direction.

• 59 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:56 AM

*has not been an important…

• 60 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 9:59 AM

TS…so we could be ground breaking is that what you are saying 😉

I have no problem with that!

I honestly don’t see the concern you are raising, but then again I don’t think conventional that often. Just an idea anyway.

• 61 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:01 AM

I don’t think the ref thing is huge but you do see some res when they talk to players like Rooney, Terry, Gerrard etc that they are on first name terms and seen really friendly, part of the reason I think they get away with that little bit more…just my opinion of course, impossible to prove that.

And I agree a team of leaders is massively important, you need those players who are able to motivate and help others, just like I was saying about Nolam, Barton, Butt, Smith, etc what we used to have.

I just don’t think rotating the captaincy will help with that, I think the attention it would gain from the media would have a much more negative effect on the team than any positives.

I don’t have a problem with Colo being club captain, if the players all respect him and he does all the off field stuff that’s great.

The problem, which you have pointed out, is that McClaren never drops the captain. The captain is important I think but not so important he must play even if out of form…..that’s where you need a good vice captain, somebody who will step in and carry on when the captain isn’t playing.

I personally think Colo doesn’t get dropped as we have nobody better, it says more about the recruitment that the manager for me…just my opinion.

• 62 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:02 AM

To be fair to you I don’t think rotating the captaincy could make this team much worse to be honest….but then again neither would blindfolding half the team as they seem incapable of playing together.

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:02 AM

It’s hard to have a team of leaders when expressing an opinion that isn’t liked sees you sent packing!

• 64 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM

I agree and disagree with that comment.

I agree in the sense that as a leader you want what is best and you naturally want to stand up for your team/players….so all the rubbish from Ashley over the years could cause a problem.

I disagree in the sense that it’s no secret how the cub operates, players should do their research before joining…I always look at a company before I chose to apply/work there.

The players know what they have signed up for so that shouldn’t excuse them trying to get the maximum possible from themselves and the others.

• 65 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Jail…that would like saying if you said it was a bad idea then it most be!

• 66 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM

A team of leaders? Try that on a ship. 🙂

• 67 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Sorry but I’ll be direct Jesper. it’s b***ocks.

• 68 Tsunki // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:07 AM

I mean that in a nice way 😀

• 69 Munster Mag // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Ron knee , its speculation on part but i am positive its accurate. Charnley is a Financial Manager and knows little about the game. If smc resigned today, carr wud be the one they seek out for advice. Carr controls the types of players we buy (the namby pamby wingers were nobodys choice but his, as an example) . Ashley loves carr because he thinks he will keep getting us sellable frenchies. 80 mill spent this year entitles ashley to some credit and some hard questions about return on investment. He should also be wondering if carr deserves the power he stupidly chose to give him. The leicester and watford models must be annoying him no end ….even palace who dont seem to have a pricey squad.

• 70 Rotonda heights // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Re – a previous thead re – 6 french flops.

Surely the guy scouting them has been the flop.

Mahrez, Kante, P.E.A and others from France have been blinding successes.

And why only more English players, what’s wrong with going for Germans and Spanish if you can’t get the right ones from France or Holland.

carr has been hugely over hyped and needs to go asap. His vetting of players’ characters, fitness and suitability is absolutely laughable.

• 71 Ron Knee // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:14 AM

What you say is plausible. I just wondered if you had chapter and verse.

• 72 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM

I agree Carr has had some massive flood at the club but he also recommended some decent players.

Think of PEA who’s gone on to success, Bony has done well….there have been others too.

I think the problem is the scouting network, we need more involved looking in detail in other areas. One man can only do so much.

Carr clearly has his connections to some areas, certain agencies but ultimately a wider network would help him identify more players.

Also he should be held to account by others above him, without that happening he will have no incentive to improve.

• 73 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Flops not flood

• 74 hibbitt // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Rotonda heights
    Re- english players i think it had a lot to do with the home grown quota which i believe alters / increases next season

• 75 hibbitt // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Transfer Sage
    we also need to buy of more then one agent !!!!!

• 76 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:24 AM

TS…it was just something I had been thinking about for quite a while and it just really struck me again when McC was talking about the importance of having a team of leaders!

The inability to drop a captain has always bothered me…I don’t get why the captain gets put before the team.

Would the media turn on us if we did this? Maybe! What if it worked? Would they love us for it! 😉

• 77 AncientC // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Carr was scouting Aubameyang, Payet, Bony, Zouma, even Eden Hazard at one point.

Munster Mag seems to be confusing scouting with buying, two different things all together. Is Carr picking and buying his own players?

• 78 AncientC // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:30 AM

I recall we were close to getting Wanyama before he moved to Celtic. Carr to blame?

• 79 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Jail @63…that I can sympathize with!

• 80 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Tsunki @ 66-68…are you looking for a reply or are you just sharing?

• 81 toon kk // Feb 21, 2016 at 10:50 AM

We’re entering the time of season when our players just basically break up for our summer break.
    So IMHO we haven’t got a chance to survive, we can’t play as a team, struggle to score, struggle with possession and passing and haven’t enough quality to defend.
    Changing the manager may help, but the board can’t see any problems with Mc so he’s here to stay.

• 82 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM

It’s like most things over in English sport….everyone claims to love a risk taker, somebody capable of doing something special…until it doesn’t work then everyone says they should go for tried and tested methods.

I just don’t see changing the captaincy regular having a positive impact so I think we’d get stick and unnecessary extra pressure from it unfortunately.

• 83 firebug666 // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Morning folks.

IMO, on the captaincy subject.

It is not a good idea to rotate the captains arm band, As a captain you should be vocal with a little aggression (not Coloccini then) be a leader and able to motivate the team. A captain should be chosen for his abilities during the closed season ready for the season ahead. A suitable candidate should also be chosen as a vice captain to take over the role in the absence of the captain.

This should ensure the squad is ready to move forward into the next season. Changing the captaincy during the season, or rotating it would lead the team into confusion, although with this Newcastle team would anyone even notice.

On Carr and the transfers:

It’s difficult to know exactly what goes on in this department as we get told nothing from the club, but what we do know is that most of the scouting is done before anyone even leaves SJP to scout a player.

Alan Pardew told us that the club uses Wyscout to check out potential targets, that Wyscout gives them up to the minute information on any player anywhere in the world.

This would suit Ashley as he doesn’t need to have a large scouting network flying around the world to look for players, in fact they can pick their targets arrange a trip for the scout to visit the club on a match day to make some enquiries and have the scout back home for tea time.

Good old fashioned scouting is a thing of the past, we now live in the new modern electronic age.

Well that’s my tuppence worth.

• 84 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:33 AM

TS…I always wondered what positive we got from stocking with Colo. In pre-season we tried different players as captain and ij La Manca Colo got rested and Shelvey wore the armband;

We never rest players doing the season and rarely rotate the core players. If we did that rotating the armband wouldn’t be that out if this world thing 😉

It’s not like you are rotating if every other game. It’s about getting the best out of the team I think.

• 85 toon kk // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Why was Colo given the captains role in the first place?
    He’s clearly no captain and past it as a footballer.

• 86 firebug666 // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM

toon kk

The answer is easy mate. Coloccini was given a new deal because it was the cheaper and easier option, he retained the armband most likely as part of that deal to feed his ego.

• 87 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM

I don’t think that’s a massive problem, I know Sunderland had a club captain and a playing captain…same as Arsenal, Arteta is club captain but he rarely plays.

I think a settled captain is important but he doesn’t need to play every week to have an influence on the team. They do need other players to step up when the captain isn’t on the pitch.

Rotating is always a problem for us. I don’t like rotating for the sake of it but it is useful to rotate to make sure your main 16/17 players all get regular game time and are match ready in case injury strikes.

• 88 Transfer Sage // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Toon kk

No idea, he should have lost the armband. But then again, who else is there to step up… I really can’t think of any viable candidate especially at the start of the season.

• 89 Jib // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM

More confirmation that the Toon was chasing fullbacks in January.

Alexander Büttner the Dutch left back who was transferred from ManU to Dynamo Moscow and is currently on loan at Anderlecht says in an interview that NUFC pushed hard to get him .

However he plumped for Anderlecht preferring to be driving distance (2/3 hours) from his home town Doetinchem

• 90 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM

TS…then have a club captain and a rotating playing captain. Would be much more flexible and keep players on their toes.

Just want to add I am not saying you rotate the captaincy every game and I am not implying everyone has to be captain.

My think is you have a group of players who are obvious choices. These are the players you rotate when needed.

The idea of just one captain is dinosaur thinking I think.

• 91 cyprus // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Rivi may be worth another round

• 92 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:50 AM

The biggest worry of all is who actually made the decision to give Collo a new deal?

• 93 cyprus // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM

If we go down Carr must be fired first.

• 94 cyprus // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM

You been toonbrothered.

• 95 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM

I remember McC saying Colo was the most important signing that window!

• 96 Lindisfarne // Feb 21, 2016 at 11:58 AM

A fans view of the club and relegation from the Guardian:

Newcastle United, 18th, 24pts – Richard and David Holmes, Observer readers
    Are you going down? On our current trajectory and with Steve McClaren at the helm, yes. Our away form has been woeful, we’ve struggled to put a string of wins together and too many players aren’t up for the battle. We’ve been flirting with relegation for years – the drop wouldn’t come as any surprise.

Who has let you down? The fact that Florian Thauvin was sent out on loan after half a season tells its own story; Fabricio Coloccini, sadly, is long past his best; and Moussa Sissoko and Georginio Wijnaldum are sublime in some games, anonymous in others.

Is the manager to blame? He’s not the right man for the job – but who is? Ultimately, we’ve been undermined by a transfer policy that has put sell-on value above experience and youth before character. What good is yet another “promising” French midfielder when we can’t defend or score goals? For years, a seasoned centre-half, solid left-back and proven goalscorer should have been priorities.

If the worst happens, would you bounce straight back? We’d need some players with determination and pride, and Chris Hughton wouldn’t go amiss either. It’d take a huge rebuild.

What would you miss about the top flight? Very little. Definitely not the arrogant fans of “big” clubs (United and Liverpool especially), or the legions of overpaid, ostentatious footballers whose closest brush with austerity is downsizing from a mansion to a penthouse. But there would be some grim consequences – inevitable job losses at St James’ Park (again) and a negative impact on the local economy.

And the bottom three, in order? 18. Norwich; 19. Newcastle; 20. Villa.

• 97 Jail for Ashley // Feb 21, 2016 at 12:05 PM

And if “The board” keep buying the new scouts third, fourth and fifth choices, shall we sack him too when they don’t work out?

• 98 toon kk // Feb 21, 2016 at 12:09 PM

It’s a shame a few sensible decisions weren’t/ aren’t made by the board like recruiting the correct manager and having the correct captain.
    Why didn’t we strengthen our shoddy defence in the summer and again in the winter?
    Why has MA got Charnley and Carr in charge of very important footballing decisions?
    The list goes on but are so obvious some straight forward changes or recruitment along with the correct training could transform a shoddy club.

• 99 Rotonda heights // Feb 21, 2016 at 1:06 PM

THAUVIN was carr’s first choice

previous post: Jonjo Shelvey Offers Newcastle An In-Your-Face Captain