McClaren Instructs His Players To Ignore This

Newcastle have rightly come in for some  fierce criticism after the feeble effort the team put up at Chelsea last time out when we were decimated 5-1.

The club then continued with their plans to do some warm weather training in La Manga Spain,  when that looked to many fans like a reward after they had disgraced the Newcastle club with their performance at Stamford Bridge.

That in a nutshell are why many fans are annoyed that the trip went ahead.

When you play that bad and it´s for Newcastle then you are going  to get severe criticism and you deserve severe criticism.

That´s what playing for Newcastle entails.

steve mcclaren and henri saivet la manga

Steve McClaren with Henri Saivet in La Manga last week

Steve McClaren has come out today and labeled  last week´s warm weather training a circus and he´s not talking about Newcastle, but the press coverage of it.

We reported earlier that Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson had said it was a real mistake for Newcastle to go ahead with the La Manga trip after such an awful performance – maybe the worst of the season – at Chelsea.

McClaren has told his players to ignore all the criticism and only concentrate on the final 12 games of the season – that´s all that matters right now for Newcastle´s future.

This is what Steve McClaren has said in the Chronicle today:

“We have to ignore the circus that goes around it. We have to focus and concentrate on what we can do. We have to ignore a lot of people and we do.”

“The players have talked about that and realized the position we were in.” “Let’s not leave it to the last game like last season.”

“Everybody got minutes and worked hard. The change of environment was key for us, to get the players together and talking about the last 12 games and what we need to do was good.”

“We talked about before the game, it wasn’t a behind-closed-doors friendly, it was a competitive game.”

“People came and watched. It was also broadcasted back to Norway and back to England.” “So you get judged, you get judged every day and every game no matter where you are.”

That trip is over now but we learned today that Fabricio Coloccini picked up a calf injury on Saturday after the game – according to the Mirror – and will be out for four weeks – so that´s not good news and injuries are once again decimating our squad.

• one fine day

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Beer monkey from previous,
    Beer monkey
    Apparently something in the mirror report about it..
    Could be lazy journalism .
    Ed mentioned it in the previous report.
    “The Mirror report includes a line where they say Coloccini had a run-in with McClaren last week – but we´re not sure what that´s all about.”
    And agree I think the team could be better off with him out .just wonder what toon brother will have to post about now.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Jib

Apparently he and his wife are giving the vast majority away to charity. Good people.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:15 AM

One fine day

Baffling. Although Tsunki is probably correct in that it was all for attention.

On this… Warm Weather training has become a common thing. Even though it does look like a reward, it actually improves stamina and fitness, and I am damn sure NUFC need those things.

• Dime Bar

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Let’s hope this Jolly worked because we sure need to show some steel to get us out of this hole

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Tsunki

From last.. if our captains rotate too much, they will get dizzy and fall over. Not sure if those tactics are ideal.

• beermonkey

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM

one fine day

cheers
    i am a lazy reader i only read the interview and not often the rest of the padding in the articles

it could be true some of the performances colo has turned this season have been poor

• Dime Bar

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Is it true that McLaren stripped Coloccini of the captaincy because Wikipeida (Not the greatest source) states that McLaren stripped him and gave it to Shelvey

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Mark…I don’t think that’s what Tsunki means by rotating – he’s just trying to be funny, because he didn’t realize that rotating the captaincy was something that was being practised in modern football!

..he was it was a joke so he’s having fun on that expense.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Jesper

I know, i was just having my own little joke too. Our players seem to do a lot of looking around and falling over. Its embarrassing, really.

• Jib

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:41 AM

I find it hard to feel sympathy for Tony Calvert the guy whose wife and mother of his 3 year old daughter has moved in with Jermaine Defoe in Darras Hall.
    The reason
    She’s a lap-dancer in the Toon
    Does that make me old fashioned ?

• Tsunki

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Jesper lighten up man I’m just joking. Seriously, here’s where I stand, I’ve always been if a mind that a captain should be in the centre of play ideally midfield. Shearer was a forward but always involved in the build up area. It shouldn’t really be a defender and definitely not a gk.

I’ve not thought of Colo as captain at all really. As for rotating them, I think the captain should be a combination of leader, motivator, excellent player, and a first pick every time due to consistency. All three go to make a captain. The only rotation should go to a bike captain who steps up and is a natural successor when the captain is not available. Making some one captain for the week is a dilution of the role and responsibility, and a neutering of the authority and leadership a captain instils in the club.

There. I said it. No jokes.

• Tsunki

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Ha ha vice captain though a bike would be useful for our lot.

• Tsunki

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM

I’m not too worried about the Spain jolly. it’s known that exertion in colder temperatures is not very good for muscle strains. Certainly did colo the power of good though didn’t it? 🙁

• Tsunki

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM

“….just trying to be funny”

Ouch!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Mark…well the team in embarrassing in many ways 😉

• toon kk

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Our trip to Spain has just been one big giggle in the sun, bunch of soft bstrds, no wonder we pick up injuries.
    We’ll be ripped apart against Stoke.
    We’re a disgrace tbh.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Tsunki…you don’t have to explain your viewpoint to me…I didn’t really ask for it!

It just seem to me that you thought it was a joke to rotate the captaincy so you tried to be funny. We all mock what we don’t understand I suppose, but I think you took it was past some light humour.

You don’t mind me saying so do you? You can shoulder that I suppose.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Usually we get more injuries at Benton, so one injury is what I have come to expect.

• optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Has Toonbrother been on to claim we’ll qualify for CL now Colos injured?

• John Akomfrah

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM

i said colo would be off for a jolly home

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM

I am pretty sure Charnley is sitting in his rocking chair mumbling Mbemba and Colo won’t be injured at the same time…they won’t…they just won’t…

• Ian Toon

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Tsunki – No No No! You’ll lose your cutting edge humour if you start compromising. It’s always better to be loathed for what you are than loved for what you’re not.
    A bit like that Tin man Coloccini who has no heart and no love for the toon. A captain should always love his team contrast a defender John Terry who has been a captain supreme for many years.
    Charnley reminds me of Charlie from The chocolate Factory. He turned up for a stadium tour and was running the club before he went home. Well OK. But he did join in a lowly position and under the last man standing under a shedding staff policy. It was a choice between him and an Oompa Loompa as Ashley was running out of options.
    Going back to the Yellow Brick road scenario Sissoko is clearly the Cowardly Lion. He has the physique and athleticism to dominate in the PL but simply lacks the desire and willingness to seriously compete. Maybe it’s simply a crisis of inner belief which allied to a touch like an elephant means he’s not good under pressure.

• optimistic prime

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM

I’m not convinced we’ll stay up or go down, I’m convinced losing Colo won’t make one bit of difference.

He’s a liability and probably the worst caprain I’ve seen at NUFC, I’d be more than happy if he never played again.

I’d be happy to go with 2 of Saylor Mbemba and Dummet until end of season if fit, each one offers more than Colo.

Off with his head

• beermonkey

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM

prime

i would go dummet or laschelles as taylor is the calamity james of defenders and him on the pitch for 90 min over the next month will prob cause me and 1000s of other to have a heart attack
    and do we need to do that to the nhs service

• manxpie

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Can’t see how losing another defender good news at all
    no matter wat you think of him
    we are down to 2 fit CB’s and 1 of them can injure themselves at the drop of a hat and the other is a rookie who in his last game got sent off after giving away a penalty oh and certainly doesn’t have experience of a prem relegation fight
    we need everyone fit for the last games of the season,
    people rejoicing in collo being out well it’ll come up to bite ya arse

• Wayayman

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Jib form the last post. Is that for real regarding the meeting with Blacky?

• Wayayman

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:50 AM

•from

• manxpie

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Curtis good still no return date surely it would be best for all if he’s just brought out the back and shot
    Jesus he must have hips of a 90 y/o belly dancer

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM

At the risk of getting my head bitten off. Is it possible that Collo is actually genuinely injured. Finely tuned athletes (this isn’t meant to be sarcasm) are more susceptible to injury.
    Also regardless of his merits as a captain he hasn’t been the worst player in defence this season. He always to me looks as him he is trying his best. Only problem with that is that he is a bit slow and he is as often as not trying (too hard) to cover other peoples deficiencies.

Just thought I would put a contra point of view.

• manxpie

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Jesper where are you getting this modern day approach to rotating captains from?
    Seriously out of how many hundreds of clubs do it?
    Look at rugby supposedly the trend setter in modern sport still make the captaincy one of the most important decisions

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Maybe McC needs to start looking at that 3 man backline again!

• manxpie

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Essex well if you look at it over the season mbemba has made more gaffes than collo and when we had dummet at LB we actually looked quite good at the back
    problem has always been we have never had a settled back four for a run of games
    Did that Gibson play well on Saturday did he look like he could do a job in the prem?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Manx…Just by a goggle search I could find that more and more clubs are doing it.

Even South Africa’s national team did it last season and it seems alot of clubs in South America are doing it.

I wanted to show that it not something I made up as some on here where a bit too quick to jump their gun.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Manx..are Rugby trend setters?

…well it seems they were left behind on this one 😉

• manxpie

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM

I’m just bemused how it’s gone from a little idea you put forward yesterday morning to now being the modern day approach which it certainly isn’t lol

• beermonkey

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM

jesper

didnt pards try somthing like this rotating capt thing at the start of last season
    didnt he split the pitch in 3 with colo proper capt at the back tiote in the middle and dejong up front

• Rotonda heights

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Jib

You said

” with the rest of the coaching staff including SM excluded , …”

Just sounded a bit odd grammatically, but I guess you meant without SM?

• Lindisfarne

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Criticism of the Spanish Training Camp is very misguided, in a challenging situation all personnel need to be pulling together. Not thinking about picking up the dry cleaning and what they are having for tea.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Manx…I think you need to go back read what I said…no offence!

…I had not researched how used it was, but when I has playing football as a semi pro we rotated the captaincy and it makes sense to me.

I don’t get why you among others think the one man captain idea is a holy grail! It’s not like you look for at armband to know who to turn to 😉

I just think the concept in many ways are very outdated. And when the best reason I hear to keep it is the relationship to the ref then I know it has outlived it’s importance.

It’s just my opinion and I just tried to share it only to get mocked. How nice is that.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew