The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Instructs His Players To Ignore This

9:02 am, Monday, February 22nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 83 Comments

Newcastle have rightly come in for some  fierce criticism after the feeble effort the team put up at Chelsea last time out when we were decimated 5-1.

The club then continued with their plans to do some warm weather training in La Manga Spain,  when that looked to many fans like a reward after they had disgraced the Newcastle club with their performance at Stamford Bridge.

That in a nutshell are why many fans are annoyed that the trip went ahead.

When you play that bad and it´s for Newcastle then you are going  to get severe criticism and you deserve severe criticism.

That´s what playing for Newcastle entails.

steve mcclaren and henri saivet la manga

Steve McClaren with Henri Saivet in La Manga last week

Steve McClaren has come out today and labeled  last week´s warm weather training a circus and he´s not talking about Newcastle, but the press coverage of it.

We reported earlier that Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson had said it was a real mistake for Newcastle to go ahead with the La Manga trip after such an awful performance – maybe the worst of the season – at Chelsea.

McClaren has told his players to ignore all the criticism and only concentrate on the final 12 games of the season – that´s all that matters right now for Newcastle´s future.

This is what Steve McClaren has said in the Chronicle today:

“We have to ignore the circus that goes around it. We have to focus and concentrate on what we can do. We have to ignore a lot of people and we do.”

“The players have talked about that and realized the position we were in.” “Let’s not leave it to the last game like last season.”

“Everybody got minutes and worked hard. The change of environment was key for us, to get the players together and talking about the last 12 games and what we need to do was good.”

“We talked about before the game, it wasn’t a behind-closed-doors friendly, it was a competitive game.”

“People came and watched. It was also broadcasted back to Norway and back to England.” “So you get judged, you get judged every day and every game no matter where you are.”

That trip is over now but we learned today that Fabricio Coloccini picked up a calf injury on Saturday after the game – according to the Mirror – and will be out for four weeks – so that´s not good news and injuries are once again decimating our squad.

Tags: Coaching · Fabricio Coloccini · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

83 responses so far ↓

• 1 one fine day // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Beer monkey from previous,
    Beer monkey
    Apparently something in the mirror report about it..
    Could be lazy journalism .
    Ed mentioned it in the previous report.
    “The Mirror report includes a line where they say Coloccini had a run-in with McClaren last week – but we´re not sure what that´s all about.”
    And agree I think the team could be better off with him out .just wonder what toon brother will have to post about now.

• 2 Rotonda heights // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Apparently he and his wife are giving the vast majority away to charity. Good people.

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:15 AM

One fine day

Baffling. Although Tsunki is probably correct in that it was all for attention.

On this… Warm Weather training has become a common thing. Even though it does look like a reward, it actually improves stamina and fitness, and I am damn sure NUFC need those things.

• 4 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Let’s hope this Jolly worked because we sure need to show some steel to get us out of this hole

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:17 AM

From last.. if our captains rotate too much, they will get dizzy and fall over. Not sure if those tactics are ideal.

• 6 beermonkey // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM

one fine day

i am a lazy reader i only read the interview and not often the rest of the padding in the articles

it could be true some of the performances colo has turned this season have been poor

• 7 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Is it true that McLaren stripped Coloccini of the captaincy because Wikipeida (Not the greatest source) states that McLaren stripped him and gave it to Shelvey

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Mark…I don’t think that’s what Tsunki means by rotating – he’s just trying to be funny, because he didn’t realize that rotating the captaincy was something that was being practised in modern football!

..he was it was a joke so he’s having fun on that expense.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM

I know, i was just having my own little joke too. Our players seem to do a lot of looking around and falling over. Its embarrassing, really.

• 10 Jib // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:41 AM

I find it hard to feel sympathy for Tony Calvert the guy whose wife and mother of his 3 year old daughter has moved in with Jermaine Defoe in Darras Hall.
    The reason
    She’s a lap-dancer in the Toon
    Does that make me old fashioned ?

• 11 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Jesper lighten up man I’m just joking. Seriously, here’s where I stand, I’ve always been if a mind that a captain should be in the centre of play ideally midfield. Shearer was a forward but always involved in the build up area. It shouldn’t really be a defender and definitely not a gk.

I’ve not thought of Colo as captain at all really. As for rotating them, I think the captain should be a combination of leader, motivator, excellent player, and a first pick every time due to consistency. All three go to make a captain. The only rotation should go to a bike captain who steps up and is a natural successor when the captain is not available. Making some one captain for the week is a dilution of the role and responsibility, and a neutering of the authority and leadership a captain instils in the club.

There. I said it. No jokes.

• 12 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Ha ha vice captain though a bike would be useful for our lot.

• 13 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM

I’m not too worried about the Spain jolly. it’s known that exertion in colder temperatures is not very good for muscle strains. Certainly did colo the power of good though didn’t it? 🙁

• 14 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM

“….just trying to be funny”

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Mark…well the team in embarrassing in many ways 😉

• 16 toon kk // Feb 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Our trip to Spain has just been one big giggle in the sun, bunch of soft bstrds, no wonder we pick up injuries.
    We’ll be ripped apart against Stoke.
    We’re a disgrace tbh.

• 17 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Tsunki…you don’t have to explain your viewpoint to me…I didn’t really ask for it!

It just seem to me that you thought it was a joke to rotate the captaincy so you tried to be funny. We all mock what we don’t understand I suppose, but I think you took it was past some light humour.

You don’t mind me saying so do you? You can shoulder that I suppose.

• 18 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Usually we get more injuries at Benton, so one injury is what I have come to expect.

• 19 optimistic prime // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Has Toonbrother been on to claim we’ll qualify for CL now Colos injured?

• 20 John Akomfrah // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM

i said colo would be off for a jolly home

• 21 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM

I am pretty sure Charnley is sitting in his rocking chair mumbling Mbemba and Colo won’t be injured at the same time…they won’t…they just won’t…

• 22 Ian Toon // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Tsunki – No No No! You’ll lose your cutting edge humour if you start compromising. It’s always better to be loathed for what you are than loved for what you’re not.
    A bit like that Tin man Coloccini who has no heart and no love for the toon. A captain should always love his team contrast a defender John Terry who has been a captain supreme for many years.
    Charnley reminds me of Charlie from The chocolate Factory. He turned up for a stadium tour and was running the club before he went home. Well OK. But he did join in a lowly position and under the last man standing under a shedding staff policy. It was a choice between him and an Oompa Loompa as Ashley was running out of options.
    Going back to the Yellow Brick road scenario Sissoko is clearly the Cowardly Lion. He has the physique and athleticism to dominate in the PL but simply lacks the desire and willingness to seriously compete. Maybe it’s simply a crisis of inner belief which allied to a touch like an elephant means he’s not good under pressure.

• 23 optimistic prime // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM

I’m not convinced we’ll stay up or go down, I’m convinced losing Colo won’t make one bit of difference.

He’s a liability and probably the worst caprain I’ve seen at NUFC, I’d be more than happy if he never played again.

I’d be happy to go with 2 of Saylor Mbemba and Dummet until end of season if fit, each one offers more than Colo.

Off with his head

• 24 beermonkey // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM

i would go dummet or laschelles as taylor is the calamity james of defenders and him on the pitch for 90 min over the next month will prob cause me and 1000s of other to have a heart attack
    and do we need to do that to the nhs service

• 25 manxpie // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Can’t see how losing another defender good news at all
    no matter wat you think of him
    we are down to 2 fit CB’s and 1 of them can injure themselves at the drop of a hat and the other is a rookie who in his last game got sent off after giving away a penalty oh and certainly doesn’t have experience of a prem relegation fight
    we need everyone fit for the last games of the season,
    people rejoicing in collo being out well it’ll come up to bite ya arse

• 26 Wayayman // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Jib form the last post. Is that for real regarding the meeting with Blacky?

• 27 Wayayman // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:50 AM

• 28 manxpie // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Curtis good still no return date surely it would be best for all if he’s just brought out the back and shot
    Jesus he must have hips of a 90 y/o belly dancer

• 29 Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM

At the risk of getting my head bitten off. Is it possible that Collo is actually genuinely injured. Finely tuned athletes (this isn’t meant to be sarcasm) are more susceptible to injury.
    Also regardless of his merits as a captain he hasn’t been the worst player in defence this season. He always to me looks as him he is trying his best. Only problem with that is that he is a bit slow and he is as often as not trying (too hard) to cover other peoples deficiencies.

Just thought I would put a contra point of view.

• 30 manxpie // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Jesper where are you getting this modern day approach to rotating captains from?
    Seriously out of how many hundreds of clubs do it?
    Look at rugby supposedly the trend setter in modern sport still make the captaincy one of the most important decisions

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Maybe McC needs to start looking at that 3 man backline again!

• 32 manxpie // Feb 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Essex well if you look at it over the season mbemba has made more gaffes than collo and when we had dummet at LB we actually looked quite good at the back
    problem has always been we have never had a settled back four for a run of games
    Did that Gibson play well on Saturday did he look like he could do a job in the prem?

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Manx…Just by a goggle search I could find that more and more clubs are doing it.

Even South Africa’s national team did it last season and it seems alot of clubs in South America are doing it.

I wanted to show that it not something I made up as some on here where a bit too quick to jump their gun.

• 34 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Manx..are Rugby trend setters?

…well it seems they were left behind on this one 😉

• 35 manxpie // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM

I’m just bemused how it’s gone from a little idea you put forward yesterday morning to now being the modern day approach which it certainly isn’t lol

• 36 beermonkey // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM

didnt pards try somthing like this rotating capt thing at the start of last season
    didnt he split the pitch in 3 with colo proper capt at the back tiote in the middle and dejong up front

• 37 Rotonda heights // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM

You said

” with the rest of the coaching staff including SM excluded , …”

Just sounded a bit odd grammatically, but I guess you meant without SM?

• 38 Lindisfarne // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Criticism of the Spanish Training Camp is very misguided, in a challenging situation all personnel need to be pulling together. Not thinking about picking up the dry cleaning and what they are having for tea.

• 39 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Manx…I think you need to go back read what I said…no offence!

…I had not researched how used it was, but when I has playing football as a semi pro we rotated the captaincy and it makes sense to me.

I don’t get why you among others think the one man captain idea is a holy grail! It’s not like you look for at armband to know who to turn to 😉

I just think the concept in many ways are very outdated. And when the best reason I hear to keep it is the relationship to the ref then I know it has outlived it’s importance.

It’s just my opinion and I just tried to share it only to get mocked. How nice is that.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM

*for an armband

• 41 Rotonda heights // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Tbh I don’t think Colo has played that bad this season, in fact in some games, ie v Manu away he was nothing short of brilliant and rolled back the years.

Several of our results have been skewed by the fact that Mitro and others couldn’t hit a proverbial barn door.

Given the fact that Ash will never employ a foreign coach, I guess SM is about the best we can hope for in terms of seeing any decent football, even if that is only at SJP.

If only we could bottle that first 25 mins at home v WHU approach and take it on the road.

• 42 Rotonda heights // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM

You can’t under rate dry cleaning and what’s for tea.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM

beer…I honestly can’t say. I lost interest at one point when Pards was here 😉

My thought yesterday was to rotate the captaincy between lets say three players who have the right attributes.

That was the captaincy was to bound to one player and it could be used to raise the games of others and the team. It could also be a way of bringing through a young leader if only we had one.

To me that armband is just a symbol. I posted some quotes from a few Mönchengladbach players as well. I am still not sure of to what extend they are really rotating the captaincy.

I have just been thinking about the idea for awhile and it seems it’s not that uncommon at all 😉

• 44 Toon Tang // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Title of this thread could be linked to tactics, scoring goals, plans on how to play away from home, staying fit or just football in general.

Who knows, who cares..

• 45 Veltman // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Wouldn’t get a*** but well done whoever detected that knobber who created a havoc the other day by the name Rob or whoever he is.
    As a member of the blog,we know what’s going on but some treated and entertained him as if he is some kind of ………….
    His comments are wum like and useless anyway,so better stay there and well clear off of the blog!

• 46 beermonkey // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM

i think its what pards tried to do but he picked sick notes and t never took off
    not sure if we could get it to work

on colo he has had some blinders this season but when he is not up for it and this happens alot he makes a run forward gets done loses the ball and just walks back no rushing to pick up the runners nothing and you can see it spread janmatt and sissoko
    the effort just goes from the team

• 47 Jib // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:25 AM

If this is clearer

A intense team discussion , frank , no holds barred , chaired by Steve Black the only non player present.

They were only away six days but when you are together 24/7 you can achieve a lot in all aspects of squad bonding.

• 48 Lindisfarne // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:26 AM

I rate them 18th, as that is where we are at.

Schteve needs to play the last 12 games with a solid team, despite the lack of defenders. If he continues to believe that we can score our way out of relegation, then he deserves to get the boot. Although I doubt Charnley has the backbone to do what is necessary.

We have never played well at Stoke, largely because they dominate the pitch and have now added greater attacking threat. Without Colo on the pitch, we may be able to move the defensive line further up 10 yards. By making the midfield more of a battle ground we can potentially level out the number of opportunities that both sides have to carve out a goal scoring chance.

• 49 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:27 AM

This rotating captaincy is a really crap idea

• 50 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM

*That way the captaincy was not bound to one player…

• 51 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Yes Dime…you say that yesterday as well

• 52 Jib // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:32 AM

The La Manga thing was a bit like a rugby side on tour

• 53 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Yes Jesper I can shoulder that one I’ll keep my rotational thoughts to myself.

Ian “loathed for what you are”?

Double Ouch!

• 54 hibbitt // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:35 AM

agree with what your saying it could work the big problem for me is even when we make the chances you talk about we dont take them !!!!

• 55 Wayayman // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Jib @47, it’s very good news if true. Where did you read/hear about it? Could be a turning point.

• 56 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Yeah Dime Bar keep your opinions to yourself on this blog!

• 57 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Sorry Jesperfuglsang but you are the one pushing the daft idea.

I hope that is a joke Tsunki

• 58 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM

No serious as hell Dime Bar there’s no place for opinions on the blog keep it down or you’ll be rotated out of here!

• 59 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM

I think this is just turning into a circular argument. There’s no getting around it. Has anyone else got their spin on this? OK I’ll stop now Jesper.

• 60 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM

🙂 like it Tsunki

• 61 Toon Tang // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Could be on to something with ‘blog rotation’

• 62 Jib // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:51 AM

As blog googlemeister I took it upon myself to do extensive research on rotating captains.

My findings revealed three areas of use of rotating captains

In North American ice hockey where they refer to vice captains as captains assistant rotation of said assistants is used frequently.
    In Fantasy Football (as pointed out by Jail for Ashley yesterday ) they recommend rotating captains for maximum garnering of points.
    Again in North America – in what they like to call Kids Soccer – up to the age of 14 they recommend rotating captains until a natural leader reveals themself.

• 63 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Dime…we don’t all have to agree and we don’t all have to participate in every discussion 😉

…it’s noted you don’t like the idea

• 64 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 11:56 AM

It’s alright Tsunku…like I said I don’t really care what you do 😉 …you didn’t get the rotation idea to begin with so what!

…and you don’t like it! who cares!

• 65 The overrated Frenchman // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM

My thoughts on the captaincy thing is that it really needs to stay with one player. It seems unworkable to me to have somebody “in charge” one game, and then be “taking orders” next time out. Must lead to mixed messages all round. Surely it makes sense to just pick your man and stick with him.

• 66 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM

I do get it Jesper I just don’t like it in principle, however I will concede there is a use for rotation of captains and that is as per jeffs comment in point 3 – rotation until a natural leader emerges. This could actually work at nufc because of two things, Silent Bob of Curly Hair fame, and the influx of many players this last year. So it does have a limited practical application. At this time. Possibly. How’s that?

• 67 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Tsunki…what are you expecting to get as an answer from me?

…you want a pad on the back?

I don’t think this idea lives or dies by your approval! Great for you if you can use some of it. If not great too!

Now rotate around and talk to Jeff!

• 68 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:13 PM

ToF…Just wanted to add if you didn’t read my comment last night, I don’t assume you will rotate every other game and you won’t rotate between every player.

A few quotes I found interesting from two BVL players:

Jantschke’s opinion on that:
    “We don’t need the captaincy. I wouldn’t mind scrapping the whole thing. Every player on the pitch is assuming responsibility”

Granit Xhaka:
    “Nobody is acting like the boss. The younger players know where they can get advice, nobody has to be captain for that.”

• 69 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Jesper I give up. it’s just an opinion I’ve obviously hit a nerve. 🙁

Here’s an expression for you –

“in an egg”. Your are obviously ‘in an egg’. 🙂

• 70 Jib // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Would that be a heat pad ?
    You got a bad back Tsunki ?

• 71 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Luckily Jesper you don’t work for NUFC and this is just your idea. By all accounts McLaren has made Shelvey captain and he will be a lot more vocal than Colocinni

• 72 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Dime…Shelvey is probably a good call. I do think we have a few other candidates as well!

…I count myself lucky not to work for NUFC 😉 lol

• 73 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Tsunki…I thought you dig sarcasm and lightweight humour?

…lighten up will up! Not everyone will find you funny 🙂 …very much repetitive on others expense though

• 74 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I know Jesper not reading but here it is anyway. Where a team sport like football is involved, and players have to go on the pitch with only their initial instructions for 45 minutes save for the wailing and arm waving from the bench which they mostly ignore, a leader is required on field to keep that instruction together, to mediate or represent with the referee, to instil motive and confidence. Generally, as the military have found in time honoured fashion, it is preferable to have a talisman, someone looked up to and well – informed as well as authoritative to keep things together especially in adversity I think it’s highly unlikely that a team can function as a democracy during the heat of battle any more than an army unit can. it’s called marshalling. Its a responsibility that becomes finely tuned with use and application. You can’t just rotate it. It would inevitably weaken the role, and often fall on the shoulders of those not capable of living up to it.

So I do get it, I guess that it’s you that doesn’t get why it’s a useless idea. Unless it’s used initially to find that leader.

• 75 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Jeff I wondered what kind of pad too. 🙂

• 76 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Oh no! I’m in an egg! How did I get in this egg? How do I get out of this egg? 🙂

• 77 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Well said Tsunki

• 78 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Dime Bar I just hope that McLaren and his nut job coaching staff don’t read this blog or they’ll put this plan into action straight away.

• 79 Dime Bar // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Oh god yeah Tsunki if the coaches reas this we’d be up the creek without a paddle

• 80 Tsunki // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:30 PM

We’re surrounded men, artillery and mortars in front, heavy machine guns and tanks to the flanks and an RPG and light machine unit coming up from the rear. Vote?

• 81 bettyswallocks // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM

It seems ironic that after Jesper’s controversial suggestion to rotate the captain, it has now been forced upon us due to the unfortunate injury to our current captain.

• 82 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM

In Ice hockey there are five outfield players on the ice and a goalminder.
    Every 60-90 seconds or so all the outfield players change and another ‘line’ comes on for their ‘shift’. This is because of the level of physical effort and the fact it is very much a contact sport. In the NHL there are three or four lines, in the UK usually just two, occasionally three.

On each line there is either a captain or assistant captain. The rotation of lines means that there is always a captain or assistant captain on the ice.
    This has little or nothing to do with the rotating captain arguments put up on here – when Colo gets subbed, is red carded or injured then somebody else takes on that role – as long as there is a captain on the field of play then there is an offiial voice to communicate with the ref.
    In Ice Hockey you can get a minor penalty for mouthing off to the ref if you are not the captain or assistant captain.
    The system is imperfect in both our main ball games here – but better in Rugby than football imo.

• 83 mad-serb // Feb 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Thought I will give you my thoughts regarding captancy to add fuel to the fire.

I played team sports my whole life till I recently stopped.

A captian is the guy that everyone in the dressing room looks up too, that motivates his team when the chips are down or when they just need some advice on anything basicly.

The captain in return creates an enviroment for the rest of the team to fully commit as I would say would die for the cause. He has his assistants around that feeds him info of the guys in the team so he is always knowing whats going on with all his team mates and ensure all info comming to him is processed and if their is someone that needs a talk, advice or whatever he then sorts these things out.

There is only 1 captiain. Its the only way it works as one needs to be the leader. He has his assistants which is what I call the core of the team. They talk for him in his absense or having similar respect within the team. But all of them give their all and if you do not do likewise you knew about.

The problem of rotation is that well when the chips are down you dont need to really listen to him as you know next week someone else might be the captain and then you get into the position where nobody can really enforce discipline or any commitment into a team when things are going wrong.

Nolan for me was a prime example of a true captain in our team. he demanded all you had and knew how to get the best out of the players around him. He worked his socks of and if you did not you were going to get an earfull from him and Barton.

Lets look at Colo ahnd his captincy, I cannot find his core that support him and would die for the cause for him and therein lies the problem. If Shelvey has that trust from players he can have across the pitch then I would change the captain in a heartbeat as I cannot see the fight from any player when things go wrong in Colo leadership.

previous post: Injuries Could Become A Deciding Factor In Relegation