Newcastle Youngster Delighted With Lillestrom Assist

20 year-old right back Jamie Sterry again impressed for the Newcastle first team on Saturday against Lillestrom, along with U21 partner 18 year-old Liam Gibson who started the game at left back.

Jamie has tweeted his delight at the whole La Manga experience – and his terrific cross from the right wing after 74 minutes was expertly headed home by 20 year-old Rolando Aarons for the winning goal.

Our youngsters played very well on Saturday and all credit to them.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM

I think we should have more players with chelsea iconic players sirnames with an ‘s’ in front, and with the same first initial.
    J Sterry is a good start, but we should move quickly in summer and sign Fred Slampard.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM

I hear Eric Shazzard is also available

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Delbert Scosta up front.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Can Sterry or Gibson work in a 3-man backline and can we pull it off without being hammered?

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Jesper

Irs unlikely that our players could manage a trip to Asda without hetting hammered 😀

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:58 PM

*its *getting
    Fckn phone keypad is breaking my balls today.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Mark…you might be on to something there!

…Scahill, Sazpilicueta or Smatic 😉

• AncientC

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Mr Tuff – From the previous thread.

Apparently Ian Toon’s ‘source’ is Ed. Ian Toon claimed I was using multiple accounts in a 1 way exchange Ian had with Belfast, writing that his source was the same as Belfast’s – whose source was Ed btw

Ian Toon // Feb 19, 2016 at 3:13 PM

“Belfast – I clearly was ahead of my time when you were declared a blog legend!
    For what it’s worth I have also received a number of emails in recent weeks largely from the same source. I wasn’t asked to keep the source confidential but it is appropriate to do so.
    The latest one is claiming that Back Door Man and Ancient C are one and the same person.”

Ian Toon // Feb 17, 2016 at 9:13 PM

“Regarding.: Back Door Man/ Ancient C.

Ed – You’re really on fire.”

Either Ed is telling lies or Ian is. I know who my money is on. I would report it to Ed, but aside from not caring a less, I do not want to get anybody moderated or kicked off the blog. If I were Ed though, I would be concerned about my name being used to imply things about other bloggers. My guess is that Ian has some form of a delusion disorder, so I do not want to really make too much fun or light of his symptoms.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Lmfao @ “Smatic”

• toon kk

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM

We didn’t play well on Saturday, it was our usual back and sideways passing, loosing the ball and total lack of quality from a poor bunch of lazy lethargic relegation candidates.

Lovely break for the flops though.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Mark…:D lol

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM

I am not a fan of Swillian, though.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM

…what about Soscar, Sivanovi? or Samelia? 😉

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:15 PM

*Sivanovic

• Mister Tuff

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Ancient – Ian Toon needs to come clean about his mischief. He said I was being moderated for bullying.
    I contacted Ed about this and received a reply saying I wasn’t (which I would be prepared to forward to anyone- excluding the idiots for verification – in unredacted form)
    Another similar situation, choice between who is telling porkies Ed or Ian Toon. I think I know who “does not speak with forked tongue”.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Smiazga?

• Mister Tuff

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:18 PM

beer – imagine an undecided player – not sure about joining a particular club.
    He gets phone calls from King Percy/Wally and then Klop or KK.
    I know where I would be going.

• hibbitt

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:19 PM

AC

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Well, as Musical Youth once wisely said, “Bing-bong-biddly-bong-biddly-bing-bong-bong-biddly-bong-biddly-biddly-bong
    Yeah”

• mad-serb

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:20 PM

@ Toon kk

To be fair the conditions were appaling for football. You had a 60 km/h wind blowing from one side to the other and a bounch as uneven as a Kalkutta pitch on day 5 of the test match.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Senor Tuff…Ian made one of his long but at the same time brief cameos earlier!

…he never answers a direct question, that’s his nature!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM

In many ways he’s like a Loricariidae, known for his suckermouth 😀 lol

• Rotonda heights

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:24 PM

saylor was horribly slow and exposed v chelsea. hard to tell who was worse him or colo. i know they are inexperienced but lascelles and Mbemba could be really quite good.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Jesper,

Some of their past players would be canny. Sdrogba for example. Scec in goal. And of course Scole because we need a left back.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Seeing as we are hopeless anyway and that we don’t have any defenders I wouldn’t use it against McC if he decided to use a 3-5-2 or even better a 3-4-3 as long as he just did tactically the exact opposite of what his gut feeling tells him to 😀

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Mark…I even had a look at their long list of players on loan 🙂 doesn’t get less fun I can tell you!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Jesper

I agree. It can’t really be any worse than it is, anyway. The three most competent defenders at the back, 2 wingers who are not too lazy to track back, and then fill the rest of the places with whatever attacking threat we can muster.

• AncientC

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:32 PM

hibbitt // Feb 22, 2016 at 2:19 PM

“AC
    its your responsibility to bring it to ED’s attention or do you have something to hide !!!!”

hibbitt, it is not my responsibility if somebody on this blog is using Ed’s name to fabricate lies against others. I just do not want to be involved in it. Make your own minds up if you want to believe what a certain poster claims.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:33 PM

In the captaincy debate was the point mooted about the difference between The club captain and the on the field captain.
    Is there a difference and could Collo as club captain take the field under a different on the day field captain?

• AncientC

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:34 PM

I can confirm I am not Lord Lucan or the Phantom of the Opera either.

• Ravensd

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:35 PM

I wish we could trust our back 4 to defend counters. Would love to see us play a 433 and really press high

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Mark…see! it cannot be that difficult 😉

I am not sure who will work next to Mitro, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Towns and Perez wide in a 3-man attack!

But then again Towns could work well wide in a 4-man mindfield. Ohh well I am sure there’s a solution as long as old man Doumbia is not a starter!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Essex…I think that part got lost on many I am afraid.

mad-serb made a good post earlier, but I believe he failed to see my point in that as well. TS and I talked about it yesterday 🙂

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM

EGB

The way i see it working is this…
    Club captain should always be on feild captain if he STARTS. If he comes on as a sub, then whichever of the vice captains was in charge should remain so, unless he is subbed of, in which case the next in the chain of command (club captain if he is on) should take over. This minimises disruption of leadership styles within any given match. The club captain should be strong enough to lead, yet also follow in these circumstances.

That being said, I dont think Colo is strong enough to be club captain.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Essex…TS mentioned that at Arsenal someone else was club captain than on field captain!

…I really cannot see the issue, but then again I don’t see the issue in rotating the captaincy among a few players when needed!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Jesper

I am.reserving judgement on doumbia until he is fit and has a run of games. People were writing him off because of his cameo v chelsea, but i think that was harsh.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Ravensd…initially I thought McC would play 4-3-3, but it’s seems that was just a cruel rumour 🙁

…would have loved that as well!

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Mark…as long as he doesn’t start (for now) I am not bothered.

…but he was being talked about when we signed him like he has our saving grace. The guy had not played football since the 6th of December and has only really shined in Switzerland and in Russia.

I am a little bit sceptical I’ll admit, but I’ll give him a chance of course.

• mad-serb

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM

@Rotonda heights

totally agree and they were because of that very reason sitting way to deep which allowed way to much space between them and our midfield that tried to press which was a total disaster.

I watched pieces of it the other day again to see what was so different from the WBA game. The difference we are so much deeper than at home. which leave to much space for the likes of Tiote and co to cover in the middle of the park. after 20 minutes Tiote´s legs were gone from chacing shaddows. We need to be more copact. That will be a start atleast. Always saw some really good signs from Townsend and Shelvey in that display when the game was done already but there was Townsend spriting up and down the pitch while Sissoko at the same time was walking.

think Saviet had another decent showing in the friendly and I would play him and Tiote with Shelvey infront and try and break with Perez and Townsend on the flanks. Then for the striker with no mitro. riviera maybe? Doumbia needs more match practice

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Jesper

It always seems to me that our recent managers insist on playing one formation without thinking about how the players themselves like to play. Pardew had a squad suited to 433, and the only time we played half decent football under him was when he used it. But he just used to bottle it after a couple of games and revert to his special brand of “over-caution ball”. Our current squad is similar, but Mc seems to be hell bent on playing his own way.