The Only Thing This Youngster Lacks Is A Little Self-Belief

Liam Gibson did himself no harm at all last Saturday when he started at left back in the 2-1 win over Lillestrom in La Manga to end a five day warm weather training trip by Newcastle, which was in preparation for the vital 12 game run-in to the season.

Liam played very well for one just 18 years old and he was given some praise from head coach Steve McClaren after the game – Steve said he had done very well.

liam gibson lillestrom

Liam Gibson in action last Saturday in La Manga

Both Massadio Haidara and Kevin Mbabu are still out with injury and both lads seem to pick up a lot of injuries – so Liam got his chance at left back – and the took it.

We don´t know exactly what the situation is with Paul Dummett, who is another left back who picks up a number of injuries in any one season and he´s been struggling with a hamstring problem since last season.

Peter Beardsley is upbeat about Liam and had this to say on the Newcastle web-site today about the Stanley born youngster:

“He’s a great kid. He’s got a lovely left foot, he’s strong, physical, can run and he has a good understanding of the game.”

“The only thing he’s maybe lacking is confidence. I don’t think he realizes what he has, because he has a lot of strengths, a lot of positives, and I just wish sometimes he would believe in himself a bit more.”

“He’s certainly got the talent.” “What was good for him was he had to sing in front of the first team players and staff at Chelsea.”

“Apparently he sang really well and fair play to him – I didn’t think he’d be able to get through that! Having got through that, he should be able to get through most things.”

“But the first team players are always very welcoming in terms of taking them (the young players) under their wing, encouraging them, helping them.”

“Colo is very good in that sense. They all come back having had a great experience and that’s what it’s all about.”

One of the things Newcastle have lacked in recent years is more of our youngsters coming through the ranks from the Youth Academy into the first team.

We have had Paul Dummett come through and now Rolando Aarons looks like he´s back fully fit again and made a great sub appearance against Lillestrom.

Rolando scored the winning goal with a great header from a terrific Jamie Sterry cross.

Both Liam Gibson and Jamie Sterry looked good last Saturday and here are two full-backs who could make it at the club.

We wish the two local lads all the best for the future – it would be great if they can both become first team regulars in the future – along with Rolando.

• Mag52

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Munster.

Much as we have agreed in the past over ‘he who shall not be named’, I will have to challenge your opinion of the result of the rugby at the weekend.
    It’ll be a hard fought game, but IMO, a win for the whites by 5 – 10 points.

• Dime Bar

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:52 PM

England to win by 20

• croftus5678

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:57 PM

i hope he gets a chance now and takes that chance well !

it would mean only the cb’s to worry about then before we have a top team.

• croftus5678

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:02 PM

how many of our youngsters are getting great reports back from either their loan teams or from mr b at youth level !

the only thing lacking is a young cb of quality coming through.

lescalles/satka/good/mbabu/mbemba are the best young ones and tbh i’d only see mbabu and mbemba making the grade atm and thats if mbabu’s converted to a cb otherwise i’d stick to dummett and mbemba.

• Jib

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Wenger on SSNews

“Every time a Barcelona player went down he shouted”

You ever watched Francis Coquelin Mr Wenger ?

Pot kettle comes to mind

• Mister Tuff

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Jib Jibberish – you are truly an ignorant fellow. However, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for you.
    You have demonstrated your skill at poetry and more recently the various method of streaming sport which does seem to have been of assistance to others -to allow them to watch the games.
    Could I suggest that you submit a weekly poetry item and that you desist from football comment as you clearly lack knowledge. Allow the others who no have more means for viewing now to pass comment on the matches.
    Restrict your posts to assistance for the various streaming/downloading methods – a sort of blog technical assistant.
    So there we have it :-
    1. Weekly poetry item.
    2. Technical assistant.
    3. Not forgetting of course my previous suggestions of signing up with the Ladies Wrestling Forum.
    4. Last but not least – you need to change your game – netball or ladies rugby reccommended.

No need to thank me for my work here in suggesting a future path for your time and effort.

• Jib

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:33 PM

According to reports Lubo Satka struggled in York City’s home defeat to Northampton Town last night.

• Jib

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Anybody else starting to find Mr Tuff a tad embarrassing.
    I’m sitting at my keyboard blushing for the guy.

• Krul To Be Kind

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Tuff

Can you not leave Jib alone, it’s worrysome that you continue to make a b line for him every time he is on with no regard to others, you ask him to get his facts right before posting, if facts were the issue then surely simply stating facts would not be conducive to a decent conversation, how can you debate facts?

Please grow up lad or take a hike, you childishness is overwhelming.

For the record I truly enjoy jibs input as a reader until Tuff starts with his insults, which in essence no one pays any attention, this is trolling in its pomp, behave yourself little man tuff the keyboard warrior.

Sorry about this post to the many genuine and interesting posters but imo enough is enough!

• Mister Tuff

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Jib Jibberish – do not mix up the colour change associated with blushing with a colour change due to blood pressure.
    I have a mental picture of you sitting in front of several monitors jumping up and down with rage, red faced and steam coming out your lugs. Ah – a picture to behold.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:10 PM

krul,

all defense to sir tuff, jib does come on looking to pick fights… when a know-it-all continues to rear his face, and from what I heard (hearsay), posting to yourself with differing accounts makes ones arguments weaker…

in defense of jib, a bit of his points are decent… if only thee could be a balance… im growing tiresome of this stupid ongoing crap… why I don’t post as much… not that im relevant, according to jib, since I wasn’t born there, and therefore have no idea what it means to be a supporter..

• Mister Tuff

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Krul – I cannot recall you jumping in when Jib is having a pop at me – bit hypocritical there I think.

Equally strange – Facts are facts you either get them right or wrong – what is the basis for most debate is opinion. If you enjoy his posts that it clearly up to you a personal choice.
    Did you enjoy the abuse, insults homophobia he throws out- comments about disabled follk – where were you that day – on holiday -out shopping – looking the other way – hypocrite.

• 21st Century Schizoid Man

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Krul

Jeff / JIB has been the most obnoxious troll on here over the last 18 months by an Irish mile, repeatedly attacking other posters for no particular reason than some very odd ego trip- and then slagging them out for being ‘big girlies who can dish it out but not take it’ – his usual whinging reply.

Leaping to his defence as you have is barely credible, particularly given the school playground manner of the aforesaid Jeff, but I’m sure he’ll welcome your uncritical support.

• Ian Toon

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Jib is good value. I personally welcome an alternative viewpoint and he is rarely just plain boring.
    Alternatively who makes a point of coming onto the blog with the primary intention of making an insulting comment.
    This has just been sent to me and it did make me laugh.

156Mister Tuff // Aug 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    I think we should win tonight. Been reading this blog for a while now and did first post a week or so ago. Some interesting opinions from those posting and one or two off topic aggro. Some good posts and some not so good.
    Beattie25 @#9 some good posts but sometimes I wonder if you are an odd ball.

• the white tino

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Does anyone think there could be repercussions for the scum through playing the peado after allegedly knowing what he had done? Surely the FA have to do something if it’s true the club knew all about the situation

• Mister Tuff

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Krul – be balanced – have you posted about all the idiots coming on here recently -or at all.
    have you expressed your dislike of them or the idiots using multiples names which has caused trouble recently.
    Bit of balance man – what is the point of your keyboard fury aimed at me with comments like little man/keyboard warrior. For what it’s worth I’m neither little nor a keyboard warrior.
    Have a pop a the real clots!

• reilly

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:30 PM

having to dig up years old comments to have a dig at someone.
    how sad.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:30 PM

ian… not being boring does not mean one must be antagonistical… differing viewpoints should always be welcomed, but defend jib if you must… I read your posts as well, lots of good points, some I disagree with, but I dotn always need to belittle you either…

• Ian Toon

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Dok- But what makes Mr Tuff the arbiter of the clot(s). It’s a matter of opinion. Jib has, to the best of my knowledge always treated me with respect and that merits me showing him due consideration. You can’t demand respect on a football blog you earn it. Mr Tuff spends a disproportionate amount of his time trying to rile and then squeals like a youngster when it is reciprocated. The senior people in my life don’t behave like that.
    I’m getting concerned that DT is going to get the republican nomination.

• Ian Toon

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:45 PM

dok- I am currently on the way out!

• dok - the horrid colonial

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:50 PM

ian,

perhaps you have a point… but speaking for myself, I was told by jib/jeff that my opinion does not matter, as I was not born there, and therefore will never be a true supporter… Tuff was one of the 1st to tell me that not all geordies agreed with jibs stance, and not to waver in my support of our club.. for that, I will always be thankful…

Tuff also has asked about how I became a toon supporter, and hes one of the 1st id buy a pint for… right or wrong, hes a great guy here… if id have been attacked on here for as long as he was by jib/jeff… id have lost it a lot quicker than he is, and to this day, I have never seen jib/jeff offer an apology for all the inane, assholish comments he made…

no fence for me on this.

• Mister Tuff

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Ian Toon – someone just sent you a post from 2012 – yer right. Has it got so bad that you have to troll through posts years old to get material for a pop.
    I recall posts from you saying I was an excellent poster – why not dig a few of them up.

As for Jib always treating you with respect -what about the time you were going to be away and you asked him to go through old posts to dig up material to be used against me – and Jib refused – or he didn’t post anything.
    You sly dog.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM

What’s happened to the FF minutes? Has one of the last remaining fans asked a naughty question and they’re hoping he’ll publish the minutes first so they can get shot of him!

• Ian Toon

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:18 PM

They did actually and with a comment of welcoming more of me and less of you and Jail. You both should listen to BandB she’s far more attuned to what’s good for the blog. You’re not to old to learn and to recognise as she put it that those that get your goat( it was addressed to Jail but equally applies to you) are unlikely to be the same people that have been causing mayhem through dodgy posts. Just open up your mind to the possibility. Noticeably some of those you claimed were me have not posted for some time. Don’t you think you might be wrong. At least consider the possibility. I am mainly a reader at present and work threatens.

• Tsunki

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:23 PM

If anyone has just landed on the blog to read Mr T’s short-tempered asides to the likes of Jib and Ian, one could be forgiven for assuming he is being a little over zealous. However those who’ve had enough blog mileage will be well aware that jib was formerly Jeff from Benwell whose politically inappropriate comments and insulting sneering manner have only been mildly reined in by a name change. And Ian continues to deny his multiple past, the man Pushy Pardew knew from his ‘gym days’ to becoming someone he’s never met, although there was the embarrassing conversation with himself that really muddied the waters. 🙂 all Ian does these days is post sarky digs and side with other miscreants in a self promotional attempt to restore a foothold.

No, I think I understand Mr T’s ire. I wouldn’t be so hasty coming to the defence of individuals who have done a good job of putting people off trying their hand at posting, you could be the next recipient of one of their underhand tricks.

• Tsunki

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:25 PM

And AFAIK jeff has only recently come into his new found ‘tech’ knowledge.

• Jib

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:25 PM

The white tino.

Sunlun behaved absolutely correctly.

Everyone is assumed innocent until found guilty.

The instant Johnson pleaded guilty to one of the charges , they terminated his contract

• dok - the horrid colonial

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:29 PM

tsunki, well said…

but how does one restore a foothold, when the cliff is eroding into the abyss..

• the white tino

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Jib according to the reports at court yesterday Johnson was asked if Sunderland knew about what happened with girl and he replied they knew everything straight away which was a year ago!! If so how can scum have acted correctly knowing he’d met and kissed a under age fan??

• Dime Bar

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:33 PM

The White Tino I read that too on the BBC if Sunderland knew what Johnson had done then surely some action has to be taken against Sunderland?

• Offkey

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:38 PM

I think Ian toon is good value, one of those posters who brings much to the table and blog including multiple personas. I think critiquing a man child with so much going for him is bad taste.

• the white tino

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Dime bar I totally agree, maybe fa can’t comment until court case is finished, but they have got to act and punish club if they have known and still allowed him to be involved with the club , massive fine or maybe a points deduction

• Jib

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:43 PM

White Tino and Dime Bar

I must have misunderstood

I read it that Johnson had said the club was aware of the charges for over a year – not that he had admitted his guilt to the club over a year ago.

• Graeme

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:44 PM

The white tino- Jonson told them he was innocent of all charges and stood by his claim. Sunderland gave him the benefit of the innocent until proven guilty and supported him.

On the first day of the hearing, Johnson pleaded Guilty to 3 charges he had previously denied, therefore admitting his guilt – He had lied to his employers and they then terminated his contract.

• Dime Bar

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Adam Johnson: Sunderland AFC ‘knew player kissed schoolgirl’

• the white tino

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Gramme,when asked yesterday in court Johnson admitted the club knew about everything ie he had met the girl and kissed her yet the club carried on employing him, if that had been a teacher or anyone else in contact with kids they would be suspended immediately

• Jib

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Tsunki

I am NOT Jeff from Benwell.

Nor am I Jane (she/he must be quite bemused by your stupidity).

Even B and B had the good grace to acknowledge that the vile comments supposedly made by me were in fact a clone.

Mr Tuff is a relative newcomer to the internet so can be cut some slack for his lack of sense of etiquette.

Yourself however have no excuse.

I fail to see the relevance of how recently tech knowledge was acqired ( I obtained my first droidbox 4 years ago)

Oh for an ignore button.

• the white tino

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for link dime bar wonder what happens now graeme /jib?

• Back Door Man

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Sitting in the sunshine, gulping my pint of Dog (actually, sipping from a flute of Moet), and watching the wee beasties flitting around the water, I got to thinking that my garden pond was very much like this Blog. By the way the following tract is meant to be a metaphor (clumsy, maybe!) to explain how all healthy communities contain a diverse mixture of views and beliefs (however repellent some of those may be) – it is not to be taken literally.

Mr Ed, the pond’s custodian, had created a wonderful environment for all forms of wildlife to thrive and co-exist. There is the wise old owl (let’s call him Mr Tuff) perched on an overhanging Maple bough wistfully surveying all below and dreaming of what the pond used to be like when he was a chick. His presence around the pond dazzles all, his magnificent plumes and sweet, sweet call are a joy to behold. Then there’s the two graceful Grey Herons (perhaps we could call them Belfast and Back Door Man) watching with beady-eye and razor-sharp beaks, water rippling arounds their feet, poised to feast on morsels drifting up from the dark depths below. A diverse range of other attractive creatures also share this place (Ancient C, expat and many others) contributing to the rich mix that makes this a beautiful spot to visit.

There is, however, a dark side to this idyll; the menace that slithers through the primordial soup at the lowest reaches of this place. Barely formed creatures (maybe we could call them IToon’nJibs), monster-like in appearance, drag their wizened bodies through the slime, spewing foul odours and disgusting bile from their mouth parts. Much to their confusion, the graceful Herons occasionally see signs of ambition flickering within these the bitter and twisted forms. Could it be that a graceful Dragonfly will emerge and soar majestically on the wing, impressing all those who witness the start of a meaningful life of contribution and wisdom around the pond. The Herons hope so! Danger lurks however … the metamorphosis into this dapperly uniformed creature could fail, it could mutate into a belligerent beast who readily attacks the occasional, brightly coloured migrants who visit the pond for respite. The horrors visited on the local creatures by these malevolent beasts fade when compared to what awaits the innocent creatures standing in the way of the IToon’nJibs’ September migration through Poland and beyond. Perhaps, most disturbing of all is when the crystal clear waters here are occasionally polluted by wind-blown scum from that putrid and stagnant mackum wear stream to the South.

Of course, being a limp-wristed member of the metropolitan elite allows me time to indulge myself; good food, fine ale, plenty of exercise, good books, all keep mind and body sharp for the battles against the Forces of Darkness. I also find a little Mandrax mixed with my pint sends me to the Land of Insight where I see strange creatures, sitting gross and mal-formed in a gloomy cave, bathed in the flickering glow of monitors. These strange creatures only link to reality is seen through these blinking glass eyes; the cave is devoid of any weighty tomes which, if read, might lead to a greater appreciation of the world outside. There is no Marx, Flaubert, Dickens, Wells, Zola, Solzhenitsyn, Tolkien, Balzac, Yeates, Shelley, Keats or half-a-hundred others; all we have are piles of sticky magazine pages. Welcome to the real world of the universal footy blog commentariat.

• Tsunki

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Offley I dunno about bad taste – agree Ian dies have the occasional worthy post (more than me ha ha) but it’s the lamentable stuff where he tries to draw sides and make digs that dilutes them somewhat. I suppose it takes a lot to live down your past mistakes when the likes of me or whoever bring them up, but it’s usually precipitated by a snotty remark or jibe. If they stopped then I suppose we could all just move on.

1 2 3 6