The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Want To Be Part Of New Massive £8.3B Deal

10:21 am, Friday, February 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

Richard Scudamore is the Executive Chairman of the Premier League and he has already completed the local TV rights for the Premier League for the next three years starting this summer for a massive £5.1B.

They are now very close to completing the sale of overseas TV rights for the same period and it looks like they will come in at £3.2B.

So that means for the next three years the Premier League will take in a total of £8.3B – a massive amount of money for what is the most popular sports league in the world – and the richest.

Rebecca Lowe is London-born but leads NBC's superb coverage of Premier League football in the US

Rebecca Lowe – host of PL coverage on NBC Sports Network in the US

And that’s a very big reason why Mike Ashley has spent £81M on new players this season so that Newcastle United can retain our Premier League status – although that’s by no means certain right now with 12 games to go.

The Mail on Sunday had a piece out last month, but at the time Newcastle were going though four defeats on the trot – all 1-0 – and we were probably curled up in a fetal position in the corner and missed the report.

🙂

Over here in the US, NBC Sports Network with Rebecca Lowe the host have already agreed to the next six years in hosting all Premier League games – and every single game is shown live either on TV or via streaming video.

Here’s the amounts being talked about world-wide – taken from the Mail report last month.

NBC will pay around $1B (£658M) for six more years of live rights starting this year and going through 2022, around £109.6M a year, and that’s close to double the £55M-a-year current three year deal that ends this summer.

The NBC coverage has studio analysts Robbie Mustoe, Robbie Earle and American Kyle Martino and they are a top team with Rebecca the host.

Gary Linekar comes on once a week to review the week’s events in the Premier League and the leading commentary team for the top games shown on TV each week is composed of Arlo White, Lee Dixon and Graeme Le Saux with other commentary teams covering the other matches.

Here’s a graphic showing just how much the Premier League overseas rights have soared since the league started back in 1992.

For fans like us – thousands of miles away from home base – it’s really important that Newcastle keep in the Premier League because we wont be able to get any of the games in the Championship.

The bigger reason of course is that it’s vital Newcastle need to be in England’s top division if we are ever to become great again.

That should be Newcastle’s only ambition – be the best club in the world and then act accordingly.

None of this nonsense about finishing in the top ten or even the top eight.

🙂

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Press · Pundit

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM

There’s nothing quite like making a big deal about stating the bloomin’ obvious

• 2 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Pardew.

What a cheeky monkey !!

In an interview with the respected French paper Le Figaro.

“I will only sign a new contract with Palace if I’m sure they won’t be relegated “

• 3 AncientC // Feb 26, 2016 at 10:45 AM

More like Parish is waiting for Pardew to keep Palace up, before releasing the agreed terms for signing. Pardew is creative with the truth, as we well know.

• 4 Ron Knee // Feb 26, 2016 at 10:47 AM

«J’attends juste de voir si nous sommes toujours un club de Premier League. Quand j’aurais sauvé l’équipe, je m’assiérai et je finaliserais ma prolongation.»

“I’m just waiting to see if we’re still a Premier League club. When I’ve saved the team, I’ll sit down and finalise my contract extension.”

• 5 hibbitt // Feb 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM

just for the record we longer get 52 thousand every home game……….. sure jib will be able to give the exact numbers

• 6 mindshaft // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Hello from Kuta , reminds me of the Bigg market back in its heyday although a bit hotter 🙂
    Think it’s well documented that a lot of players respect McClaren as a coach but the problem is that we have him as a manager ( despite his title ).
    I’ll be shocked if we pull off a win over Stoke and I expect a defeat … players are constantly banging on apologising for latest debacle but the reality is the buck stops with the manager
    he got rid of Carrs faces in Cabella and Thauvin and has sidelined his other poor buys … people thinking he has no influence and has to do as Carr says is deluding themselves
    we need to sack McClaren now … and while we’re at it sack that fat numpty Charnley with him
    Ashley needs to grow a pair, man up and pay decent wedge for a decent manager now
    Maybe offer contract till end of season to Mourhinou and give him 3 million to keep us up

• 7 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Quite a few red tops saying we will be in the running for Carrick when he becomes a free agent.

• 8 The overrated Frenchman // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM

AncientC – I agree completely with your comment on another thread about Cabaye. There is a considerable amount of revisionism when he is discussed. True, when he was good he was very good, but as you rightly say he was bad just as often. I never got the impression he really had his heart in it here, and going “on strike” really took the biscuit. Just a pity that the profit we made on selling him seemed to vanish into who knows where.

• 9 Ian Toon // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM

There have been a few occasions this season where I thought we’d turned the corner. I wrote last night about us winning two consecutive games in December , beating Liverpool and Spurs. Then came the disappointment of failing to beat Villa at home. OK the pitch was very wet but it did seem like Newcastle building us up only to let us down. Maybe closer to reality than the previous two victories against Liverpool and Spurs. We showed against Villa an inability to break teams down when we can’t hit them on the break. Whilst I am comforted at the prospect of us winning our home games this does hang over my thinking – teams that sit back and don’t compete. That we’ll play more teams like Villa this season than we will teams like Liverpool or Spurs.
    I don’t have any coaching badges but I have watched a lot of teams and managers/coaches and Macca has for much of the early season to passing and possession for the sake of it. This simply allows the opposition time to regroup defensively. A good team is able to keep the ball and dominate possession; but constructive possession. Having watched our game against Spurs in the middle of December it was interesting to watch them last night in the Europa. They illustrate the point and that in a little over two months their style and formation looks a winner. Movement off the ball was superb.
    Back to Newcastle, Macca it seems is trying to achieve a balance between getting early ball forward and keeping possession. Shelvey could well have a big part to play in this going forward and I hope we persevere because PL survival could depend on it. Starting against Stoke where I hope we are generally more adventurous by playing with two upfront and Colback in DM.

• 10 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Those figures Ed shows in the lead article are truly impressive and an indication of footy’s growing popularity.

The down side of it is however that among that growing audience is an exponential graph showing increasing ignorance of how the game works.

Offer Mourinho £3 million to come and work with a bunch of new players at a strange club with 12 games to go – Oh dear Oh Lordy lordy !!!

• 11 bettyswallocks // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Going back to the Cisse debate, when Marveaux was playing the odd game he seemed to be on Cisse’s wavelength and threaded some nice passes through to him. Maybe Shelvey can do the same or why not give Marveaux another try?

• 12 Moonraker15 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Jib
    I would love to see Carrick at the Toon but I read somewhere he is earmarked for a coaching role at Man U when he finishes playing!

• 13 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Moonraker
    There was aposter on here from the Wallsend area that knew the family who swore that NUFC would be his last choice.

But

money talks

• 14 Moonraker15 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Ian Toon
    I was looking back on results desperately looking for a glimmer of hope and it was interesting that other than 3 points from the first 8 games, our form has a pattern. After beating Spurs and Liverpool we lost 5-1 to palace. Again after beating West Brom in style we lost 5-1 at Chelsea. This suggests to me that we have the players but the tactics are no good and I hope McClaren wakes up and listens to his team soon. Anyway it’s gonna be an interesting final 3rd to the season!

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Jib
    If Mourinho came tomorrow, you’d be the first to tell us he is a tactical genius and you’ll back him to mastermind an escape.

• 16 Moonraker15 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Jib
    What you mean “last choice” ? You mean he wants to come?

• 17 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM

My personal feelings on Carrick
    He signed a 15 month contract extension last March which expires June 2016.
    With the van Gaal situation he will want to hang fire.
    If Giggs throws his hat into the management ring , he’s big pals and may want an assistants role.

• 18 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Moonraker
    No he doesn’t like the club

Blackley
    Just stick to giving folk you don’t like childish nicknames that’s about the limit of your contributions.

• 19 Moonraker15 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Jib
    I can’t see them giving the job to Giggs with Pep across the city they need a big name and I would think it can only be Mourinho as they need a short term solution and that’s what he does!

• 20 toontaff2 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:43 AM

In a few years the Chinese leagues will be far bigger than the PL and all this money will follow the players to China.

• 21 bettyswallocks // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Jib…….. If Carrick did come where would we play him? He does the same job as Shelvey and I don’t think we need two of the same.

• 22 Moonraker15 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Jib
    That figures, why would he come here other than nostalgia and they don’t usually do nostalgia at 35 in my experience that normally comes when you’re 55 haha

• 23 Ian Toon // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Moonraker15- in a quiet moment I am for ever forecasting future fixtures and league outcome. Unfortunately I am clearly not impartial and get little comfort from finishing 15th.
    I would like us to get some momentum by getting a minimum of 4 points from the next two games. And then kick on. Leicester last season showed it can be done. I don’t entertain the suggestion of talk of relegation at this stage. Players have to be committed to our survival and not start talk of contracts etc going forward.

• 24 AncientC // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:47 AM

I suspect Marveaux’s contract is heavily incentivised by the amount of games he plays – it would make sense considering he failed to impress at a medical at Liverpool. Marveaux not seeing any football could be the result of another cost-cutting exercise. They club may have run some algorithms and decided that the risk/cost of playing Marveaux vs what he adds to the side according to stats… was not worth the money.

I would be willing to wager that something similar was in place regarding Facundo Ferreyra. Perhaps Ferreyra’s first appearance for the club initiating a loan fee, or something of that manner.

• 25 Ian Toon // Feb 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM

On Cabaye- He was my favourite player whilst at the toon and a real visionary artisan. Cisse attributed so many of his goals to Cabaye. He made such a difference to our performances particularly in his first season and in the second half of 2012-13 season. I was lucky enough to be at Villa to witness the 2-1 toon win – with Paps and Cabaye scoring. Also the victory at WHU just before Cabaye left – lives in the memory, as he scored and controlled the game. His range of passing for older fans I’m told is reminiscent of Hoddle. Shelvey is not in the same class at present. Yohan could do the dirty parts of the game and could put his foot in when required. I’ve seen Palace a few times and he’s still as influential. If we had broken Ashley’s edict and bought him before Palace / and Thauvin I suspect we wouldn’t be in our current mess. In mho.

• 26 ScoopSouthAfrica // Feb 26, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Carrick can play in a few positions, even if we used him as a Bekenbauer type player.
    I have a feeling as according to the chronicle him and his business mates have just bought a place in Mosley Street for his HQ….

• 27 Tsunki // Feb 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Hello all – Tsunki here ha ha. I just read yet another observer lament that the blog is an off-putting minefield of vendetta and constant, football – unrelated bitching. He said it like it was a bad thing. 🙂

Seriously though? How many think the blog wastes too much space with one-upmanship and backbiting? I take on board BandB’s point there is always the ‘ignore’ button, but what if Ed did a poll on what every one actually thinks?

Poll-

Do you think that the blog is tedious because of wums, nuisances, trolls and arguments?

Or

Do you think the blog is great fun because of wums, nuisances, trolls and arguments?

Just a thought.

• 28 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 12:24 PM

AncientC

To be fair Marveaux always said it was personal terms and not a failed medical.

Liverpool have a track record of using rumours of failed medicals when deals fall through.

• 29 AncientC // Feb 26, 2016 at 12:29 PM

13/14 Shelvey 6 goals, 7 assists. 20 years old at the start of the season.
    14/15 Shelvey 3 goals, 5 assists. 21 years old at the start of the season.
    Total: 9 goals, 12 assists.

06/07 Cabaye, 3 goals, 1 assist. 20 years old at the start of the season.
    07/08 Cabaye, 7 goals, 3 assists. 21 years old at the start of the season.
    Total: 9 goals, 4 assists.

Shelvey by comparison plays in a more difficult league at the same age. There is only 1 month age difference between both players at the start of each of those seasons.

• 30 AncientC // Feb 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM

*10 goals for Cabaye.

• 31 Belfast // Feb 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM

The blog was actually much worse a few years ago when there was a daily war between certain posters, usually with Ibiza trying to referee it.

There was constant fight to the death going on between Ruddy and a few others 24/7.

I think if you survived that war you’ll find the blog a breeze nowadays to be honest.

Probably a combination of social media becoming more popular smart phones etc etc and people being depressed with us being so shite.

The likes of tsunki probably played a small part in the proceedings, but it’s definitely not as bad as it was then.

Anyway lets make the blog great again !!

• 32 Tsunki // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Thanks for the glowing reference, Belfast. Not.

• 33 Belfast // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM

The amount of money involved now is absolutely ridiculous like.

Even the pundits are raking it in, especially the annoying Ian Wright who seems to work for every single bloody channel.

• 34 dok - the horrid colonial // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Belfast # 31,

well, well put.. ruddy/Ciaran was really a dreadful time… if we can make the blog great again, maybe NUFC will see our shining example, and follow? 🙂

• 35 Belfast // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Sorry Tsunki you know what I mean though. There was far more bitching and fighting back then.

• 36 BandB // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:16 PM

If someone is insulted, they should have a right of reply. Whether it’s wise to get drawn in is another matter. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn’t.

Tsunki uses the key word. Vendetta.
    And, as an example, it doesn’t matter whether I believe Ian Toon once chatted with himself as Pushy Pardew, because I’m not going to keep harping on it.
    For same reason soap operas don’t keep harping on long forgotten characters and plot lines. It excludes and baffles those who don’t recall these eminently forgettable events.
    Let it go and maybe he will. He’s a good writer when he’s not feeling cornered.

With regard to the bannings.
    If it had been just another partisan poster with an axe to grind taking a stand on the trolling issue I could have understood the scepticism.
    But it wasn’t.
    It was Belfast.
    There has been no love lost between Belfast and I, but he IS his own man.
    So the idea he was motivated by tribal loyalties is ludicrous.
    The stuff he published had no holes in it. The guy was shutting down his internet life because of stuff he could only be reading on the blog.
    And Chancel giving his two middle names as his “real name” was a coincidence way too far, and shot out of the water any notion that that nice Chancel couldn’t be linked to any of this.
    Ed corroborated Belfast’s evidence. What more do people want?

I agree that the over-riding reason people have stopped posting is that if they can’t say anything good about the club, they’d rather keep their counsel.
    The blog was at it’s most populated when it was possible to express optimism and not look like your head is stuck in the sand.
    Only the club can change that.

• 37 bettyswallocks // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM

It looks like Antonio Conte is going to be announced as Chelsea’s manager. We’ll probably end up with his brother” Silly”

• 38 Tsunki // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Good post BandB.

OK it’s been done before, but I’m willing to wipe the slate clean and engage on a green field level (ah there you go, buzz wording at this time of the week!) with all comers except the out and out insulting wums who I will do my level best to ignore. Gone are references to the past ( unless specifically drawn against me) so, Jib, Ian, Blackley and.. this could get tedious er… the numerous people I have tangled with he he many of whom I can’t remember if I’ve insulted of not, I shall start afresh. Even Dime Bar, I know I know Robs been a bit weird but if he behaves and carries on with the nice guy persona he’s ok as well. There said it. Bound to get flamed now. 😀

• 39 BandB // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Thanks Tsunki.

But I fully expected mine to be the blog killer. So I’ll take back my rightful place at the bottom, if you don’t object.

• 40 Tsunki // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:36 PM

No problem. Sorry.

Oh. Oops.

• 41 dok - the horrid colonial // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:38 PM

well said BandB

• 42 Tsunki // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Perhaps we should a engage in a robust round of hearty if insincere back slapping? Nobody can tell if you’re being genuine, sarcastic or sycophantic in print 🙂 let’s make the last article of the day start with a bit of faint praise for another blogger. Not the same one though that could get a bit weird.

• 43 Tsunki // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Good post dok.

• 44 Jib // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Apologies in advance for talking about another club.

It’s an open secret that Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to end his illustrious career in the PL next season.

The papers are linking him with the hammers
    This may be not as far fetched as first appears.

Zlatan in private speaks in his mum’s native tongue Croation and of course Bilic is one of Splits most famous sons.

West Ham move to a nice shiny Olympic Stadium and with 60,000 season tickets to sell probably need a world class draw.

Jeepers – Guardiola , Messi , Ronaldo , Bale , now Ibrahamovic in the PL next season !!!!!!

• 45 BandB // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:41 PM

I would say thanks Dok, but I don’t want to go on the bottom again.

Damn!!!!!!

• 46 Tsunki // Feb 26, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Meanwhile in the boardroom of nufc…

“Graeme?”
    “Yes Lee?”
    “Would it kill you to cut your fingernails?”
    “Sorry my petal, I would have but I lost my teeth again. I was looking for Sir Pawsalot…”
    “Graeme how many times…he doesn’t even exist man”
    “…I WAS LOOOOKING for Sir Pawsalot, glanced at the floor and CLATTER! – gnashers gone. Found my underpants though”
    ( wailing ensues from a cardboard box under the boardroom table)
    “Graeme – Bob’s hungry again can you open a can of kidney beans for him?”
    “Aahhhh…sorry Lee…”
    ” Aye yeah yeah sorry you just said…no teeth. Chuck him another one of those Balti pies out of the bin. And Graeme?…”
    “Yes Lee my little marshmallow?”
    “…Would it absolutely kill you to cut your toenails?….”

previous post: Former Player Argues The Case Against McClaren