The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Youngster – I Can Be As Good As Wayne Rooney

10:49 pm, Friday, February 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

Young Newcastle United striker Adam Armstrong only just turned 19 earlier this month  and he has told The Sun that he has talked to his hero Wayne Rooney and he hopes to emulate what Wayne has done in football – which is a lot.

Adam has set the League One  alight this season with his loan spell at Coventry City and he has 19 goals in 27 appearances for the Sky Blues and that will do him the world of good in his football development.

Newcastle United Open Training Session

Adam Armstrong – a future Wayne Rooney?

This is what young Adam has told The Sun:

“Rooney is the type of player who likes to drop in and get on the ball. I think I’m capable of doing that. I met Rooney when I went away with the England U-18s.”

“He came into one of our meetings. I stayed behind and asked him questions about what I need to do to improve myself.”

“He said to just keep doing what I was doing, stay behind after training, do your finishing stuff and things will go well.”

“I started at Old Trafford for Newcastle so he said he knew of me, which was a massive thing. He said he had watched clips and I popped up on one of the goals.”

” He said ‘You always get across the front post, keep doing that and you’ll get a lot of goals’.”

“He’s scored over 50 goals for England which is a massive achievement. I know it’s every kid’s dream, but I think if I keep doing what I’m doing I don’t see why I can’t.”

Adam is another local lad trying to make it to the Newcastle first team, but there are not many who achieve that – and we have recently seen another local striker Adam Campbell look very good as a teenager, but fail along the way.

Adam has now left Newcastle and is at Notts County and still only 21.

So nothing is ever certain in football, but Adam does have a very good chance of becoming a great player for Newcastle United.

And he seems to understand that he needs to keep his head down, keep doing what he’s been doing and not get carried away with his own success.

The local lad can help us next season, when he should be ready to fight for his place in the Newcastle first team.

Adam has played 19 times for Newcastle so far, but is yet to score his first goal for his home town club.

It’s a big ambition for the 19 year-old but there again you never achieve much in life unless you aim for the stars.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Coaching · England News · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League · Press

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Feb 26, 2016 at 10:57 PM

His biggest problem is going to be his “Home Town” Team.
    They are so poor, non of the International Managers bother their arses to attend SJP. What a complete and utter disaster for our younger players!!

• 2 Graeme // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:01 PM

And the pressure mounts up on poor Mr Ashley lol

• 3 croftus5678 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:02 PM

no lad just no !

you’ll never be as good as rooney ! you’ll surpass him by a mile and become your own player so others are compared to you not you compared to others.

the confidence is brimming with this lad and tbf we have the players who can create for this lad for next season but we still need to stop the goals at the other end to keep that confidence high.

• 4 jimmysmith // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Wayne Rooney has an immense physicality, particularly when younger, less so now, relying more later in his career on a genuine wealth of experience at the very highest level.

He had a raw pace and power that Adam Armstrong doesn’t have. Rooney was a handful at 15, and is a very special player. It is a most unlikely comparison to make. If Armstrong can contribute at Newcastle, he’ll have done well, he clearly has great talent, but anything beyond that would come as a welcome and unexpected bonus.

• 5 SUTTY1978 // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Croftus, I think you’re right. He will make a big impact in the championship.

• 6 stan anderson // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Sorry son but you have found your level,make the most of what you have
    Ashley OOT

• 7 Mister Tuff // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Not much to discuss on the football front tonight – probably as expected.
    However in the previous thread I do see that a couple of rather nasty insults were dished out. I do hope that those who have jumped on me recently -make comments adversely in order to show their evenhandedness about who they choose to have a pop at.
    Is it right to call a fellow poster a cu@t.
    Is it right to call a fellow poster an intravenous drug user – apparently because he’s in the music business.

I’ll be checking in the morning and would anticpate a few posts from folk highlighting that this type of posting is way off the mark and should not be tolerated by those contributing on the blog. Or will my expectations fail to materialise -probably so.
    I have known a lot of folk over the years who have fallen foul of the curse of heroin – wrecking not just their own but the lives of their families -to me suggesting someone is injecting drugs is a step too far on a football blog.

• 8 ToonInPlym // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:53 PM

I could have sworn we were playing stoke this weekend. How come we aren’t playing, anyone know? Gutted! 🙁

• 9 BandB // Feb 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM

So Ianfantino is the new Fifa president?
    Don’t mess with the Mafia, Tuff.

• 10 Mister Tuff // Feb 27, 2016 at 12:15 AM

BandB – never heard of Infantino before. Hope he is a straight guy. However there are one or two reports that he was very cose to Platini – I hope he will not be “contaminated”. All the stufff about Nicholas Sarkozy has yet to get a good airing.
    FIFA will look a bit daft in the FBI start chasing him.

personally I would liked to have seen Prince Ali get it – but he was not really in the running. I liked his initiative (failed) to import transparent polling booths so it would be revealed if the delegates photographed their ballot papers – for later proof to collect their bribes.
    He is also so rich he does not have to steal.

As for the Mafia on the blog – fear not- Gods work is never done.
    I think some should take note that perhaps we should not be hasty in absolving sinners of their previous misdeeds. I mean to say the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe is described as a model patient now – would I forgive him of his past crimes and befriend him – strictly no.

• 11 Munster Mag // Feb 27, 2016 at 12:24 AM

I would have thought arma is more of a Michael owen in style. If he achieves half of what rooney has i will be surprised. Rooney was a hell of a talent

• 12 manxpie // Feb 27, 2016 at 12:48 AM

i’d say armstrongs more of an owen type of striker tbh
    or he’ll need to be to play in the prem as said earlier rooney was a physical beast at 16 and that with his talent helped him massively
    armstrongs to small to emulate rooney but work on his runs could be the next owen

looking at the pic tho maybe he’s still got time to grow into that head jesus its mahoosive!

• 13 manxpie // Feb 27, 2016 at 12:57 AM

i wasn’t taking the piss there munster but just read your post lol but great minds and all that

• 14 Essex Geordie Bill // Feb 27, 2016 at 1:38 AM

The question for me is, will he get a chance to be a top player at NUFC. Yes he has bags of ability but it’s disheartening how so many of our younger players fall by the wayside.

By the way I want to repeat that for me any 20 year old isn’t in football terms still a youngster, they should be banging on the first team door or at least be in the squad.

• 15 Online Guy // Feb 27, 2016 at 2:05 AM

Mr Tuff , just back in and read your canny post , your spot on .

Ian Toon is laughable ..he fancies himself as some sort of journalist ..

Pseudo Journalism I say .

And Jib, he seems to react in a way that has no level with what’s just been said or posted ..he can escalate a joke from someone into a nasty blog killing debate with his cronies joining in ..even his cronies know he’s doing the wrong thing but cant help themselves.

I can see what you have been up against through the last few years of tedium from him and coupled with vicious comments directed toward you .

.I seen that for myself tonight when he called me a Stupid C@nt because I posted a decent joke about a Welsh ride on lawn mower..(a pic of a chair on a sheep’s back) ..I thought even welsh would take it in the spirit it was meant and have a laugh ..he’s always making cracks about Geordie’s etc so fair play and just a joke.

To be jumped on by Jib in the way he did had me thinking he seems depressed ..I felt a tad sorry for him truth be told ..he cant be a happy man. .

Perhaps someone could explain to Ian Toon that to work within music today one has to have ones wits about one technology is not for the faint hearted and one needs to keep a clear mind …production , both Analogue and digital, at times, is like doing algebra in the middle of a Russian lesson. not to mention playing

The Woodstock era and drug addled Musicians are long gone ..

• 16 Online Guy // Feb 27, 2016 at 2:12 AM

Unless your talking Jazz ..ho !

• 17 manxpie // Feb 27, 2016 at 2:14 AM

online tell that to the many many musicians that get of there rockers lol and imo produce the best music
    i.e the ones with talent not the ones that have an army of people behind them and millions spent on them that we here every day on the radio!

• 18 sickandtired // Feb 27, 2016 at 2:54 AM

He’ll be nowt if he comes back here under this shower of sh@te.

• 19 sickandtired // Feb 27, 2016 at 2:56 AM

Online Guy. What a pretentious pri@k!

• 20 Ian Toon // Feb 27, 2016 at 7:12 AM

Mr Tuff- Pure opportunism. You never disappoint.Agent Provocateur.
    It was an illustration of stereotyping:
    – Stereotype Dinosaur humour
    – Dead cat bounce
    – Stereotype on the life of a musician .
    If you have any serious intent to clean up the blog and not feed off it you’ve got to stop it at source. Welsh and Jip were not the provocateur.

• 21 Ron Knee // Feb 27, 2016 at 7:12 AM

“We have to take it on the chin. We have to stand up and be counted now.”

Stirring stuff from Steven Taylor. Why am I not exactly reassured?

• 22 hibbitt // Feb 27, 2016 at 7:23 AM

Ron Knee
    whats happen to jasper ?????

• 23 Ron Knee // Feb 27, 2016 at 7:28 AM

Don’t know. He hasn’t posted for a few days now.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Feb 27, 2016 at 7:34 AM

jesper is in the huff over the ribbing he got for the rotating captain thing. I’ve apologised for greeting him in a different language every morning as well.

• 25 Ian Toon // Feb 27, 2016 at 7:37 AM

Jinky Jimmy- I agree. Many feel that Rooney Is now suffering the rigours of playing top flight football over 12 years. There have been times this season when the physicality required at PL level It seems has been lacking. Injuries have given him some respite.
    I haven’t seen a lot of AA and only on tv. If he’s half the player BobbyB says he could become, then great. You will remember Pop Robson, Foggon, Dyson and the times we produced our own. I read a lot of John Gibson’s books on the Fairs Cup and subsequent years. We seemed to get a number of youngsters from Ireland and Scotland!
    We certainly could do with a few players coming through the academy who make good in the PL. I was reading the other day that were likely to lose out on Freddie Woodman and Aarrons whose contracts are up in the summer. London press suggest to Arsenal.
    Spurs fans idolise Harry Kane – with their rendition of ” he’s one of our own”

• 26 sing in the corner // Feb 27, 2016 at 7:59 AM

It seems it’s not politically correct these days to stick with and back northeast lads from the comments you see. But I think the club is dying for a local player or two to break through. I think local fans identify with ‘one of their own’ and what is wrong with that? Growing up it was having idols the kids can really identify with and aspire to that kept the unique identity and soul in the club, which is lacking now, admittedly for other reasons too…

• 27 Ron Knee // Feb 27, 2016 at 8:03 AM

You forget our very own Steven Taylor!

• 28 sing in the corner // Feb 27, 2016 at 8:03 AM

Arma is doing everything he can the right way. And seems to have a good attitude to boot. He’ll need to keep his feet on the go and have good fortune with injuries.. So far so good. Can he make it? I don’t see why not.

• 29 sing in the corner // Feb 27, 2016 at 8:05 AM

Ha ha, don’t get me started 🙂 Tayls has been damned unlucky.
    Great lad, 100 Percenter.
    Not bad for a cockney…