The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Issues Rallying Call To Players

7:47 pm, Monday, February 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

We are not exactly holding our breath in anticipation of a good result at Stoke City on Wednesday night – but it would be terrific if we could win only our third game on the road this season – and that would be after 14 away games.

That’s what is needed for Newcastle to survive this season, if we are not to simply rely on the results of the other clubs fighting relegation.

But all too often when the going in away games has got tough this season – our players simply disappear – and they lack the fight and character and the other side wins the game all too easily.

steve mcclaren at watford 1-0

Steve McClaren – it’s touch and go

That has to change and it’s up to the coaching team and of course the players themselves to show some fight and spirit in reach of the last 12 games starting at the Britannia Stadium on Wednesday night.

This is what Steve McClaren has told the Chronicle today in what sounds like a rallying call to his players:

“The group is relatively a very good squad all round, very good. The talent is in there. If we show character and fight in the next 12 games we will be OK.”

“If we don’t show character and fight then we will be touch and go.” “It’s in our hands. We play all the teams in and around us.”

“You can have all the talent in the world but we have to show that character and fight. We have to grind out results and find a way to win on the road.”

We do have a good squad and there’s just no way we should be in the bottom four right now – but that’s where we are – and we have to fight to get out of the mess we are in.

Newcastle had a good weekend of results even though we didn’t play.

Sunderland, Aston Villa, Swansea and Norwich all lost and only Bournemouth of the relegation sides was able to pick up something – a 0-0 draw at Watford – and that was a good point for the Cherries.

Crystal Palace continued their slide down the table from 5th place at the end of the year to 14th place and they have just three draws in the last 10 league games and went down 3-2 at West Brom.

Here’s the bottom of the Premier League where Newcastle have been languishing for the last twelve months.

Crystal Palace38-1242
19 Norwich38-2834
20Aston Villa38-4917

How Will Newcastle Fare At Stoke City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League · Press

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 MadisonToon // Feb 29, 2016 at 7:57 PM

These are the games that will determine if we go down or stay up. Ed may not be holding his breath but this is when our play really matters. When we play Chelsea away or City we aren’t expecting points (that’s a whole different discussion) but when we play Stoke away we have to be planning on getting points and we have to come home with some.

We lose this game and we are in real trouble. We have to assume to beat the bottom clubs, but if we can’t take points from mid-table teams then we deserve to be 4th-bottom and languishing.

• 2 Jib // Feb 29, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Well done Ed you managed to find a pic of McClaren without his face buried in his hands

• 3 toontaff2 // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:02 PM

By Wednesday night, we will probably be 19th, unless Parsnip finds his winning post-Christmas formula.

• 4 Jib // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Robson Green’s tales from Northumberland on ITV now

• 5 sparky55 // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Black and Brownlie from last thread

Lewis Knight…plays right wing / striker

That lad Mallik has got boat loads of talent…strong, skilful and a real handful…but is one very angry fcuking fruit cake..even worse than Nile Ranger…he’ll not last at Leeds nor anywhere else for that matter…he’s a lager away from really hurting someone and Paul Hart has had to drop him from the team three times this season as punishment for his behaviour already.

Real shame because he really is a talent.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM

What’s Mclaren done to deserve the affectionate nickname ‘Macca’, the guys a tw@t !

• 7 Jib // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:19 PM

He’s not been very successful
    He’s not a tw@t you ignoramus

• 8 sparky55 // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:21 PM

I’m with Jail…he’s most definitely a fcuking useless tw@t

• 9 sparky55 // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:25 PM

and I think his record over the last three years proves that beyond any reasonable doubt

🙂 🙂

• 10 Jib // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:27 PM

I watch Robson Green for 30 minutes and Brighton score 4 goals ffs

• 11 lochinvar // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Steve McClaren Issues Rallying Call To Players
    Ok lads this is how it goes……

” you put your left leg in, your left leg out, in, out, in out, shake it all about……and if you’re lucky you hit the ball and score, if not you trip someone up and give away another foul……”

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:31 PM

I didn’t insult you, there was no need for that, the guy is a tw@t !

• 13 Jib // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM

I’ll discuss it nae bother.
    Worth £35 million , very successful , Jeremy Clarkson – A TW@T
    Sam Allardyce – saved so many footy teams it isn’t funny – A TW@T
    Donald Trump – Billionaire with the Midas touch – A TW@T

• 14 reilly // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Newcastle the only club that would appoint a failed championship manager to take the club to the next level.
    you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Yes, all tw@ts and the hapless tuft with his brolly is just another one of them!

• 16 sparky55 // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:39 PM

…and Steve Maclaren…poor excuse for a footballing head coach…fcuking useless tw@t!

Glad we agree on something! 🙂

• 17 Fostino // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:42 PM

After garde (who nearly became our manager) we have the worst manager in the league.

Between not appointing a new captain start of the season. Not sorting the defence positions. Not getting a proven goal scorer…totally inconsistent performances in that the only consistency we’ve had is losing matches. Clueless team selections and formations. Terrible post..pre match interviews. Hopeless cup runs. I can’t see how he is our future.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:45 PM

What really takes the pi$$ is that we waited for him to fail before getting him, that was actually part of the fcukin deal, his singing relied directly on his abject failure with Derby, had he have been a success we wouldn’t have even got the manic tw@t.

• 19 Fostino // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:45 PM

I hear he’s a great coach with fun drills…huge yawn. Think I’d prefer a great manager/motivator/tactician/ who demands respect and 100% effort.

• 20 Jib // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Brighton’s 4th goal a great Lewis Dunk header.

• 21 reilly // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:49 PM

aye. if he had of got derby promoted he would of never of come here.
    that says it all really.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I’d have liked to have seen what Garde could have done with us last season, he couldn’t have possibly been worse than Carver

• 23 sing in the corner // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:53 PM

I think the anti McClaren vitriol is getting a bit over the top. It’s a bit deja vu, all this name calling. Reminiscent of the endless anti Pardew discussions about silly glasses etc. Are we going down this road again JFA? You are in your element..

• 24 Tsunki // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Unfortunately Jib, even in our new-found civility approach, your lack of justification for many of your statements is unsatisfactory. You seem disposed to say things you appear to have no wish to defend or qualify.

• 25 Back Door Man // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Dearest Jib,

I did ask nicely in the previous thread.

Kindest regards

• 26 Tsunki // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:54 PM

What’s this Ed? A new “fighting Spirit ” McLaren folder?

• 27 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Aye, I’d heard that he’s been in loads of bother. Gang culture I believe. What is that about?

• 28 sing in the corner // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Funnily enough I was thinking about the innovative fresh foreign coaches v useless-old-has-been-never-was-Brit-dinosaurs debate earlier, since the subject is often aired on here.
    The clamour for Garde was deafening close season. Now, I realise he has been hung out to dry by a declining Villa, undermined by lack of investment, but he has done bot all with what he has had to work with either, as far as I can tell. And he comes across as a lame duck in the media.
    There have been some notable failures

• 29 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM

I’ll likely be going to Thorp Arch on 26 March. Let me know what you’re wearing nearer the time and I’ll seek you out. I’ll wear the parrot coat.

• 30 sparky55 // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Will do…where you coming from?

• 31 Jib // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Tsunki // Feb 29, 2016 at 8:53 PM
    “Unfortunately Jib,your lack of justification for many of your statements is unsatisfactory.”

Are you remotely conscious of what a pompous dick you appear ?

• 32 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Tyne Valley on this occasion.

• 33 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:25 PM

858 voted for a win….

Delusional, dangerous, drunk, sick people….

Stoke will tramp us…. then its going to get real funny…

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Why am I in my element, I never wanted him here in the first place, I didn’t want Pardew but was one of his few defenders on here until he became indefensible, I wanted Mclaren to do well after he signed but it was him who asked to be judged after ten games, I never decided I’d give him ten games before making my mind up. Do you honestly think things will be better under him next year.

• 35 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Jail for Ashley

next year we are in the championship…. you have nothing to worry about… Not coming up anytime soon…

• 36 Fostino // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:29 PM

This literally feels like the worst season I can remember…when though we’ve actually spent sooo much. I think people are fully entitled to slate mcclaren. This is a blog and he’s given us absolutely nothing to get excited about. Regarding pardew…you can’t persume the same people who slated pardew are the same people slating mcclaren. I personally think pardew was a good manager and has proven that. Anyway..bringing up pardew is completely irrelevant now.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Have you been drinking?

• 38 Blackley and Brownlie // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Where you living now again? I seem to recall you saying you used to live in Ovingham.

• 39 sing in the corner // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Yes I do think that. The asking to be judged after 10 games was in hindsight a mistake. But it’s the kind of thing a new manager will say every time when embarking on a new challenge. I never take anything anyone says literally in football. There are so many variables. When he said it nobody slated him. He was probably guilty of overestimating the squad depth at the start, or underestimating the size of the task.
    I would like to know one thing above all else really. How much involvement did he have in the decision to give Colo a new contract and back him to retain the captaincy? Not revamping the defence is, as most probably agree,at the route of our failure this season…

• 40 21st Century Schizoid Man // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:37 PM

You’ve been mixing with too many expats – and mixing your drinks too given the Mr Hyde stuff your moniker is posting this evening. Hijacked again ? SNAFU for you then ?

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Feb 29, 2016 at 9:44 PM

You do think what?

• 42 sing in the corner // Feb 29, 2016 at 10:08 PM

That things will be better under SM next year. If we stay up, and I think we will. And as I say, there are many variables in the equation. Like will he be given a lot of say in who comes in, who leaves.

• 43 Lanzatoon42 // Feb 29, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Exactly what I was saying before mclaren came. Pathetic decision to bring mclaren in!! Blame up above the shit we are in. Championship here we come!!!! Thanks alot Ashley/Charnley etc

• 44 sing in the corner // Feb 29, 2016 at 10:11 PM

@39 *root* of our failure…can’t even blame auto irritate for tha one!

• 45 Ian Toon // Feb 29, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Sing- I agree with your central point on the defence or lack thereof!
    I don’t know for sure but I suspect that the decision on Coloccini last summer was almost certainly a fait accompli. As indeed were the Carr driven transfer activity. Macca has had some influence in January but the failure to sign defenders is down to Charnley and Carr. As we learnt from the FF.
    Alex Ferguson once phoned Paul Sturrock when he was struggling as a manager and told him he should “get rid of under-performing players instead of trying to change their mentality”. We should have employed a similar tactic with Coloccini. I wrote earlier this evening of the number of players at the club who have failed under three different managers. They have to share responsibility for poor performance over that time. I agree that the lack of defensive signings have been at the root of our problems- we should have built from the back.

• 46 Mister Tuff // Feb 29, 2016 at 10:21 PM

He’s obviously been drinking cheap cider or Babychams I’d wager.

Bloody good laugh earlier – the blog always has that element of a “corker” – well it made me laugh. A short extract from a well known poster – u n b e l i e v a b l e.

“Dogged perseverance and denial of the truth.”

I will refrain from saying guess who.

• 47 sing in the corner // Feb 29, 2016 at 10:40 PM

I thought the back room staff set up coming in with McClaren had potential when it was happening.It all sounded good, promising, to me. Yes SMs appointment was never going to set the Geordie pulses racing but I thought it would be a start given where we had landed with the Carver debacle.
    But the guys pulling the strings behind the scenes have to be held to account if things don’t improve, instead of slowly turning on whichever hamstrung head coach we have front of house. I can’t see SM wielding much power in this set up, but a bit like Pardew he’s going to be expected to fight the fires and toe the party line.

• 48 Harley // Feb 29, 2016 at 11:04 PM

We absolutely can beat Stoke on Wednesday. The players have to find that belief that we can go to these places and pick up a win.
    West Brom looked doomed, they were dropping like a stone and looked the worst team in the league when we beat them. Then they go away to Everton and win and then beat palace at home and it looks like they’re now out of the relegation picture.

If we could sneak a win at Stoke and then beat Bournemouth at home, that 6 points would see us in 15th and eleviate so much pressure.

Then we’ll go on a great run, finish in the top half, sack McLaren in the summer, bring in pellegrini and do a Leicester next season. Simple!

• 49 Tsunki // Feb 29, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Jib @31 now now old chap, there’s no need for such unpleasantness while we are all being civil and above board. I’m sorry if I come across as pompous, but it is a fact for all to see that you have been making statements you can’t get around to defending. Why not give it a whirl instead of being insulting. Come on, you know you can do it old chap. 🙂

• 50 Sav // Feb 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Red-faced Macca is going to wax his ginger island into two little horns in an endeavour ro ‘stoke’ some of the devil into his knock-kneed team and send them down the Britannia tunnel like the hobs of hell were after them.

That is this week’s plan.

• 51 jimmysmith // Mar 1, 2016 at 12:23 AM

I tend to agree that anything other than relegation is most often the real measure of acceptability at Newcastle under Ashley, with top 10, top 8 more hopeful rather than practical achievable goals.

I even doubt McC will lose the job even if we do go down. You sense they are are just as likely to tell themselves he is good enough in normal circumstances and stick with him, because finding another moderately capable coach is just too much trouble and attracting a top notch one beyond them.

• 52 Mister Tuff // Mar 1, 2016 at 1:02 AM

Bring back fight night !

• 53 Blofal // Mar 1, 2016 at 1:27 AM

That’s a disgusting goal difference.

It shows that when we lose we really do throw in the towel.

• 54 Back Door Man // Mar 1, 2016 at 2:14 AM

Jib – asked politely but not answered:

Dearest Jib, what do you mean by:
    “That Back Door Man is a strange fellow!” @ 78?
    I’d be eternally grateful for a fulsome explanation. Thanks in anticipation of your cooperation.
    Best wishes

and again:
    Dearest Jib,
    I did ask nicely in the previous thread.
    Kindest regards

Perhaps, this third try might work.

• 55 Veltman // Mar 1, 2016 at 5:13 AM

Let’s wait and see whether Colo bashers are right,claiming the defence is much better without him.Let’s see how the crock-prone Taylor,still learning Mbemba & Mistake waiting to happen Lascelles can cope together.
    I felt optimistic about the stoke game until today,citing injured players returning & 15 day rest & build-up ,but seeing Colo missing,quickly reverted to pessimistic feeling.Hope I’m wrong but those possible stand-by defenders waiting to cover won’t feel me with confidence and are no better than Colo in my view.

• 56 Veltman // Mar 1, 2016 at 5:22 AM

Harley – Do you think it’s that simple?

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Mar 1, 2016 at 6:24 AM

The idea was have bought a quality CB so at least Collo has to fight for his place. It is an accurate summary of our leadership that he is still the best defender after 80M has been spent. Who was it that decided to keep the two defenders that took us down in 2009 and sell the one that was a main stay in getting us promoted and finising fifth.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Mar 1, 2016 at 6:25 AM

If only life was that simple 🙂

• 59 The overrated Frenchman // Mar 1, 2016 at 6:54 AM

jimmysmith@51 – I think that’s about right. Ashley might be happy enough to forego the PL money and take a season of not throwing any more good money after bad.

previous post: Newcastle Linked With Impressive Young English Center-Back