Poll – Overwhelming Percentage Of Fans Want McClaren Out

We are conducting a poll to gauge how fans feel about Steve McClaren’s performance this season as the Newcastle head coach and whether he should be fired after we are sinking in the league and are currently second bottom and look more than likely to be relegated in May with every new defeat – like the 1-0 defeat at Stoke last night.

stev mcclaren stoke

Steve McClaren last night at Stoke City

Here are the results so far, which show around 96% of voters want him out of the club.

Please vote if you haven’t already done so.

Should Steve McClaren Be Fired At Newcastle?

Loading ... Loading ...

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:42 PM

I just don’t understand Mclaren. His inane smirk and grin in EVERY single interview is incredibly irritating and the content of what he says seems to go against everyone who watches the games.

He always says how we were “nearly there” and “Just not quite scoring”. I don’t get him.

Then again, I remember his choices for England and that he was sacked by Derby last year for throwing away the championship.

• bladeuser

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM

said from the start SMAC is a tactical buffoon he’s a dinosaur so if u want your team to have any chance of avoiding relegation do something that is alien to u home fans and sing at the top of your voices that u want SMAC OUT if u sit there as usual and act like a cardboard cut out good luck in the championship because if he is not sacked that’s where nufc will b
    To the away fans my respect to the home fans u stink
    ASH OUT SMAC OUT COLO OUT SHEEP ? OUT

• Spitfire

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:02 PM

We lose a potential scorer in Townsend so we have AArons available who could possible score a goal and Perez who could possible score a goal to replace him . Who would you choose? why Goufran of course. Its obvious isn’t it

• kakaobi

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Give me a F
    Give me a U
    Give me a C
    Give me a K
    Give me a E
    Give me a D

That’s where we are at with macclaren and I mean totally

• Goldmbemba

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:17 PM

i think he chose gouffran because whilst townsend is a winger, he also apparently tracks back. perhaps gouffran is being moulded to fulfill the same role, and away from home aarons couldnt be trusted with the defensive side.

Still the wrong choice for me.

If only we could hold on towards the end of games… could have picked up a good few draws this season. chlesea earlier on springs to mind.

start doumbia on saturday./

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Perm any two from three to join Aston Villa in the Championship
    Games remaining: and my predictions

MACKEMS:

H Tottenham loose
    H Man City TBA loose

6 points = 30 relegated

ARGHHHHHHHHH

• Mister Tuff

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM

There is no way the club will sack Wally Blusterman. Doing so would be an admission of getting his appointment wrong.
    I could see however that if we are getting trounced on Saturday -the crowd may turn on him. He could then potentially throw in the towel himself.
    I did not want him and described him as yesterdays man even before we signed him.
    The game last night could have been won -Stoke were utterly crap – all could see that – changing a couple of players after half time – bringing on Perez and Doumbia a lot earlier might have got us 3 points.
    He might be a decent bloke -but he’s also a knacker. Get shot of him.

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM

@Goldmbemba- “Couldn’t be trusted with the defensive side” – He played him left back a few weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that was his actual reasoning then he’s more illogical and indecisive then I would’ve believed.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Why have so many people in recent years forgot how to spell such a simple word as lose?

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:27 PM

^^ Thought exactly the same thing…..

• NoahJ

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:29 PM

“steve, do you think your job is safe?”

“I don’t see any reason why not”

… how about:

1. we’ve lost 7 away games in a row

2. we’ve scored SIX away goals all season (averaging less than a goal every two games)

3. we’ve lost 3 times to watford, a team that played in the championship last season

4. we have been humiliated by teams such as Crystal Palace, Everton, Leicester

5. we went out of the league cup to a second string sheffield wednesday team, at home

6. our pre-season target was 8th and two cup runs; we are currently in 19th, and advanced only one round between both cups

7. we farm our brightest talent (Armstrong) out on loan, and refuse to start our brightest current players (perez, aarons), yet play gouffran and colback

8. mclaren has no balls to drop wijinaldum, despite him being completely anonymous for the last 6 games (at least)

9. we were the biggest spenders in EUROPE in january, yet didn’t strengthen either of the two only positions we needed strengthening (defence, and proven goalscorer)

10. we have played absolutely woefully against teams like watford, west brom (a), everton (a), stoke (a) yet on each of these occasions, mclaren insisted we were “terrific” and/ or put in “good effort”

… this clown also fails to recognise fans’ grievances- he admitted to not knowing why we confronted janmaat… is he joking?

he is not fit for purpose, and we WILL be relegated if he remains in charge

• toon22

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Imho Safc should be docked points,every game they played that nonce if they got points they should lose them.
    He told them he did it but they still played him.

• lesh

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM

HWA@9. It’s a word we are all so familiar with so no excuse at all.

• BandB

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:59 PM

betty,

The answer is yes

I didn’t previously, but recent results for us and our rivals have made it much more likely in my view. I think we risk nothing by sacking McClaren.
    People are trying to make out it’s unheard of to save a club’s season by sacking a manager. They only have to look down the road.

Now, in return, I will ask you the same question I asked Jib, and hope you can give as straight an answer as he did.

Should the club rule out sacking McClaren before the end of the season?

Yes or no.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM

BandB. In my opinion the club shouldn’t rule out sacking Mc Claren but I think they have done..
    My concern is who they would replace him with as there are very few options that would come now and even fewer that would have an immediate impact on results.
    I still have a strong gut feeling that we’ ll stay up so if you fancy a little wager I’m game.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Why are people wondering who we’ll replace him with, it doesn’t have to be long term, get the very best unemployed manager there is and offer him 2M or whatever to keep us up. Then in the summer interview suitable candidates and get a proper football person to interview them.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Mclaren said it was a makeshift back four, we had our regular RB and LB and third and fourth choice CB’s, nothing makeshift about that.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Jail……. There are so few realistic options that would come now and make a difference and don’t forget the club’ s record on appointing managers leaves a fait bit to be desired.

• BandB

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM

betty

• Essex Geordie Bill

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM

As someone else said we’d probably be better off with no manager.

And as I said Cathro might as well take over the first team or even (half in jest) let Beardsly have a go. He might do better with the older players.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:21 PM

It was maddening to see Doumbia and Perez have an immediate impact while the freakish looking Riverie slipped and tripped his way through his 25 minutes.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Judging by last nights performance the rotating of the clubs captain achieved nothing. I would suggest that Jesper must shoulder some of the responsibility for this defeat!

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:24 PM

BandB……. Good girl. Your loyalty remains intact . That was a little test for you.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Betty,
    Having followed the club religiously I am well aware of the illogical and down right stupidity of the Ashley reign. Just because they won’t do what’s right doesn’t mean I can’t post what I think they should do, you obviously still think Mclaren will come good.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM

As we’re still in the fight to escape relegation I think cowardly Ashley won’t sack useless McLaren. His only experience with a late season sacking (remember Shearer with 8 games left?) didn’t turn out so well. Any decent owner would have sacked Charnley and McLaren last November and given a new manager full reign in the January transfer window. Our only chance is to win at least 3 of our remaining home games and the away game at Villa. A couple of draws thrown in there as well would do it at 38 points I think. I would say it’s 50/50 whether we go down now.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Why is offering Benitez a lump sum to keep us up unrealistic 2/3M for 3 months work isn’t bad. We are going down otherwise.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM

It’s not unrealistic Jail mate @27. I just think Ashley is too much of a coward to do it. He’s frozen with fear. Just as with Carver last season. He was peeing his pants after we lost 8 in a row and then falling all over himself with relief after we escaped relegation.

• hibbitt

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Essex Geordie Bill
    beardsley would make our last the managers look world beaters by far the worst coach i have ever seen at newcastle…………..great player shit coach should be nowhere the kids never mind the first team

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Jail…….. I’m hoping and praying he gets us out of this mess that he got us into. Apparently he still has the player’s respect and I just can’t think of anyone that would come now and not need time to make a difference.
    I wasn’t against him when he arrived as there were lots of people spoke highly of him. I have given him the benefit of the doubt until now but he needs binning in the summer as there are too many other managers shrewder than him.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Supporters who live in Newcastle have had ages to do something about Ashley. They have come to matches and sat like lumps watching dross. The away support have watched even worse dross. If you turn up and say nothing then Ashley will lap it up and collect the money gained from free advertising. People reap what they sow I’m afraid. This disaster has been years in the making.

• firebug666

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Sack McClaren now before it’s too late and bring in Mr Bean…..Job Done!

• GeordieTwo

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:39 PM

If I lived in Newcastle I would be outside the ground with an Ashley OUT sign at each home game. He would have been long gone by now if the ground had been nearly empty for the last few seasons. You reap what you sow….

• hibbitt

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Jail for Ashley
    good shout even if we had to give Benitez 5m if he kept us up it would be small change to what we will lose if we go down….. if its to happen it has to happen now!!

• GeordieTwo

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM

I’ve said what I think of McLaren. I thought we would be in trouble from the off this season and we were. McLaren was never going to be good enough and the board were clueless about what players we needed as incoming. A large fraction of the 80M spent over the last 2 windows was wasted. Cabella and Thauvin aren’t even at the club for Christ’s sake. Only an idiot would think the club has done a good job with recruiting. How much more criticism is it worth adding? Total incompetence can’t be hidden. It’s there for all to see.

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Benitez would be a good option if he would come. Tactically very astute and loads of experience. Used to working in high pressure situations and would command respect from the players. All these reasons are why we won’t get someone like him , the club don’t recognise such things when employing people.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM

‘I would never bet so much as a Twix on us losing a match, never mind on being relegated.’

now THAT is a true supporter! you went up like 20 points in my book 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Ok bettyswallocks we’ll just get fcuking relegated then.

• Patoon

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Club needs to go down now, that way ashley wil sell up and he can take charnley, Carr, mcclaren and all the other dinosaurs with him, hopefully a new owner would bring in a decent young manager and go for the more modern gamelan, I would take 5 years in the championship over watching the same old shite week in week out year in year out, at least in the championship we might win a few games and the fans wil hav something to cheer about, only danger is ashley not selling and mcclaren staying which would def c us drop to league 1

• bettyswallocks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Jail…… As if they’re going to take advice from fans. Lol.