The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Poll – Overwhelming Percentage Of Fans Want McClaren Out

3:36 pm, Thursday, March 3rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 157 Comments

We are conducting a poll to gauge how fans feel about Steve McClaren’s performance this season as the Newcastle head coach and whether he should be fired after we are sinking in the league and are currently second bottom and look more than likely to be relegated in May with every new defeat – like the 1-0 defeat at Stoke last night.

stev mcclaren stoke

Steve McClaren last night at Stoke City

Here are the results so far, which show around 96% of voters want him out of the club.

Please vote if you haven’t already done so.

Should Steve McClaren Be Fired At Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League

157 responses so far ↓

• 1 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Mar 3, 2016 at 3:42 PM

I just don’t understand Mclaren. His inane smirk and grin in EVERY single interview is incredibly irritating and the content of what he says seems to go against everyone who watches the games.

He always says how we were “nearly there” and “Just not quite scoring”. I don’t get him.

Then again, I remember his choices for England and that he was sacked by Derby last year for throwing away the championship.

• 2 bladeuser // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM

said from the start SMAC is a tactical buffoon he’s a dinosaur so if u want your team to have any chance of avoiding relegation do something that is alien to u home fans and sing at the top of your voices that u want SMAC OUT if u sit there as usual and act like a cardboard cut out good luck in the championship because if he is not sacked that’s where nufc will b
    To the away fans my respect to the home fans u stink

• 3 Spitfire // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:02 PM

We lose a potential scorer in Townsend so we have AArons available who could possible score a goal and Perez who could possible score a goal to replace him . Who would you choose? why Goufran of course. Its obvious isn’t it

• 4 kakaobi // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Give me a F
    Give me a U
    Give me a C
    Give me a K
    Give me a E
    Give me a D

That’s where we are at with macclaren and I mean totally

• 5 Goldmbemba // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:17 PM

i think he chose gouffran because whilst townsend is a winger, he also apparently tracks back. perhaps gouffran is being moulded to fulfill the same role, and away from home aarons couldnt be trusted with the defensive side.

Still the wrong choice for me.

If only we could hold on towards the end of games… could have picked up a good few draws this season. chlesea earlier on springs to mind.

start doumbia on saturday./

• 6 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Perm any two from three to join Aston Villa in the Championship
    Games remaining: and my predictions

A Southampton loose

H Crystal Palace draw
    A Aston Villa draw
    H Tottenham loose
    H Man City TBA loose

6 points = 30 relegated

• 7 Mister Tuff // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM

There is no way the club will sack Wally Blusterman. Doing so would be an admission of getting his appointment wrong.
    I could see however that if we are getting trounced on Saturday -the crowd may turn on him. He could then potentially throw in the towel himself.
    I did not want him and described him as yesterdays man even before we signed him.
    The game last night could have been won -Stoke were utterly crap – all could see that – changing a couple of players after half time – bringing on Perez and Doumbia a lot earlier might have got us 3 points.
    He might be a decent bloke -but he’s also a knacker. Get shot of him.

• 8 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM

@Goldmbemba- “Couldn’t be trusted with the defensive side” – He played him left back a few weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that was his actual reasoning then he’s more illogical and indecisive then I would’ve believed.

• 9 Hail Wor Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Why have so many people in recent years forgot how to spell such a simple word as lose?

• 10 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:27 PM

^^ Thought exactly the same thing…..

• 11 NoahJ // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:29 PM

“steve, do you think your job is safe?”

“I don’t see any reason why not”

… how about:

1. we’ve lost 7 away games in a row

2. we’ve scored SIX away goals all season (averaging less than a goal every two games)

3. we’ve lost 3 times to watford, a team that played in the championship last season

4. we have been humiliated by teams such as Crystal Palace, Everton, Leicester

5. we went out of the league cup to a second string sheffield wednesday team, at home

6. our pre-season target was 8th and two cup runs; we are currently in 19th, and advanced only one round between both cups

7. we farm our brightest talent (Armstrong) out on loan, and refuse to start our brightest current players (perez, aarons), yet play gouffran and colback

8. mclaren has no balls to drop wijinaldum, despite him being completely anonymous for the last 6 games (at least)

9. we were the biggest spenders in EUROPE in january, yet didn’t strengthen either of the two only positions we needed strengthening (defence, and proven goalscorer)

10. we have played absolutely woefully against teams like watford, west brom (a), everton (a), stoke (a) yet on each of these occasions, mclaren insisted we were “terrific” and/ or put in “good effort”

… this clown also fails to recognise fans’ grievances- he admitted to not knowing why we confronted janmaat… is he joking?

he is not fit for purpose, and we WILL be relegated if he remains in charge

• 12 toon22 // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Imho Safc should be docked points,every game they played that nonce if they got points they should lose them.
    He told them he did it but they still played him.

• 13 lesh // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM

We’ve even been beate by Hartlepool!

Head Coach? Pffft!

• 14 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM

HWA@9. It’s a word we are all so familiar with so no excuse at all.

• 15 BandB // Mar 3, 2016 at 4:59 PM

The answer is yes

I didn’t previously, but recent results for us and our rivals have made it much more likely in my view. I think we risk nothing by sacking McClaren.
    People are trying to make out it’s unheard of to save a club’s season by sacking a manager. They only have to look down the road.

Now, in return, I will ask you the same question I asked Jib, and hope you can give as straight an answer as he did.

Should the club rule out sacking McClaren before the end of the season?

Yes or no.

• 16 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM

BandB. In my opinion the club shouldn’t rule out sacking Mc Claren but I think they have done..
    My concern is who they would replace him with as there are very few options that would come now and even fewer that would have an immediate impact on results.
    I still have a strong gut feeling that we’ ll stay up so if you fancy a little wager I’m game.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Why are people wondering who we’ll replace him with, it doesn’t have to be long term, get the very best unemployed manager there is and offer him 2M or whatever to keep us up. Then in the summer interview suitable candidates and get a proper football person to interview them.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Mclaren said it was a makeshift back four, we had our regular RB and LB and third and fourth choice CB’s, nothing makeshift about that.

• 19 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Jail……. There are so few realistic options that would come now and make a difference and don’t forget the club’ s record on appointing managers leaves a fait bit to be desired.

• 20 BandB // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM

• 21 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM

As someone else said we’d probably be better off with no manager.

And as I said Cathro might as well take over the first team or even (half in jest) let Beardsly have a go. He might do better with the older players.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:21 PM

It was maddening to see Doumbia and Perez have an immediate impact while the freakish looking Riverie slipped and tripped his way through his 25 minutes.

• 23 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Judging by last nights performance the rotating of the clubs captain achieved nothing. I would suggest that Jesper must shoulder some of the responsibility for this defeat!

• 24 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:24 PM

BandB……. Good girl. Your loyalty remains intact . That was a little test for you.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Having followed the club religiously I am well aware of the illogical and down right stupidity of the Ashley reign. Just because they won’t do what’s right doesn’t mean I can’t post what I think they should do, you obviously still think Mclaren will come good.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM

As we’re still in the fight to escape relegation I think cowardly Ashley won’t sack useless McLaren. His only experience with a late season sacking (remember Shearer with 8 games left?) didn’t turn out so well. Any decent owner would have sacked Charnley and McLaren last November and given a new manager full reign in the January transfer window. Our only chance is to win at least 3 of our remaining home games and the away game at Villa. A couple of draws thrown in there as well would do it at 38 points I think. I would say it’s 50/50 whether we go down now.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Why is offering Benitez a lump sum to keep us up unrealistic 2/3M for 3 months work isn’t bad. We are going down otherwise.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM

It’s not unrealistic Jail mate @27. I just think Ashley is too much of a coward to do it. He’s frozen with fear. Just as with Carver last season. He was peeing his pants after we lost 8 in a row and then falling all over himself with relief after we escaped relegation.

• 29 hibbitt // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Essex Geordie Bill
    beardsley would make our last the managers look world beaters by far the worst coach i have ever seen at newcastle…………..great player shit coach should be nowhere the kids never mind the first team

• 30 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Jail…….. I’m hoping and praying he gets us out of this mess that he got us into. Apparently he still has the player’s respect and I just can’t think of anyone that would come now and not need time to make a difference.
    I wasn’t against him when he arrived as there were lots of people spoke highly of him. I have given him the benefit of the doubt until now but he needs binning in the summer as there are too many other managers shrewder than him.

• 31 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Supporters who live in Newcastle have had ages to do something about Ashley. They have come to matches and sat like lumps watching dross. The away support have watched even worse dross. If you turn up and say nothing then Ashley will lap it up and collect the money gained from free advertising. People reap what they sow I’m afraid. This disaster has been years in the making.

• 32 firebug666 // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Sack McClaren now before it’s too late and bring in Mr Bean…..Job Done!

• 33 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:39 PM

If I lived in Newcastle I would be outside the ground with an Ashley OUT sign at each home game. He would have been long gone by now if the ground had been nearly empty for the last few seasons. You reap what you sow….

• 34 hibbitt // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Jail for Ashley
    good shout even if we had to give Benitez 5m if he kept us up it would be small change to what we will lose if we go down….. if its to happen it has to happen now!!

• 35 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM

I’ve said what I think of McLaren. I thought we would be in trouble from the off this season and we were. McLaren was never going to be good enough and the board were clueless about what players we needed as incoming. A large fraction of the 80M spent over the last 2 windows was wasted. Cabella and Thauvin aren’t even at the club for Christ’s sake. Only an idiot would think the club has done a good job with recruiting. How much more criticism is it worth adding? Total incompetence can’t be hidden. It’s there for all to see.

• 36 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Benitez would be a good option if he would come. Tactically very astute and loads of experience. Used to working in high pressure situations and would command respect from the players. All these reasons are why we won’t get someone like him , the club don’t recognise such things when employing people.

• 37 dok - the horrid colonial // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM

‘I would never bet so much as a Twix on us losing a match, never mind on being relegated.’

now THAT is a true supporter! you went up like 20 points in my book 🙂

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Ok bettyswallocks we’ll just get fcuking relegated then.

• 39 Patoon // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Club needs to go down now, that way ashley wil sell up and he can take charnley, Carr, mcclaren and all the other dinosaurs with him, hopefully a new owner would bring in a decent young manager and go for the more modern gamelan, I would take 5 years in the championship over watching the same old shite week in week out year in year out, at least in the championship we might win a few games and the fans wil hav something to cheer about, only danger is ashley not selling and mcclaren staying which would def c us drop to league 1

• 40 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Jail…… As if they’re going to take advice from fans. Lol.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Ha ha betty lol lol. It’s Ashleys club and he’s entitled to do what he wants with it lol.

• 42 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:58 PM

If we escape relegation will it be more of the same next season? More smiles and promises from Ashley in the summer? More poor decision making leading to more lost seasons? That would be my guess. Force the b@stard out by exposing him to an empty ground match after match. I think he’s got a pretty good idea what people think of him but his wallet is still untouched so far. That has to change.

• 43 Back Door Man // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:58 PM

I agree with wise Mister Tuff’s view, expressed @7 above, that Andy Pandy Ashley would be taking a big hit on his reputation as an effective ‘businessman’ if he cashiered Wally The Johnny. However much we’d all like to see the back of Wally The Johnny I think we’re stuck with him.

• 44 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Patoon. Great suggestion. Can’t wait to watch us play Accrington Stanley.

• 45 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Jail…….. Organise an email then signed by all the fans and send it in. It might work.

• 46 Belfast // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:02 PM

It’s looking a bit bleak, well bleaker than it normally is.

I don’t think he’ll be sacked personally but anywhere else yeah he’d probably be gone.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:03 PM

This is what the bottom of the barrel looks like. Chasing 17th place at this point in the season after the debacle of last season with Carver. And all the bollocks from Ashley in the summer. Saying he’s a buffoon is giving him too much credit.

• 48 jimiley // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:03 PM

The fans have brought this mess on themselves by turning up to games and endorsing Charmless, Charnley, and the rest of the hangers on

• 49 jimiley // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:05 PM

When we win relegation, will Mr Charmless clear off?

• 50 Belfast // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Comes out with the same shite after every defeat like. Always a sign of a manager who’s lost his marbles.

• 51 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:06 PM

I wonder what Lilongwe thinks of this? I haven’t seen him on for quite a while. A lot of the old posters must be shaking their heads in disbelief. Even I can’t believe how bad McLaren has been. Yesterday was a true shocker. Bringing on billygoat Riviere before Perez and Doumbia. And giving Perez and Doumbia 7 minutes to play! Only a lunatic would do that. Stoke were terrible for most of the match. We could have had the points, or at least 1 of them.

• 52 toon kk // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:12 PM

I said before the season even started we would struggle and probably go down. We got a few new faces in but for what ever reason the board thought we didn’t need a proven striker and our defence was fine. Millions were wasted. Then there’s Macca he never was good enough, although he fighting a loosing battle with our flops.

• 53 toon kk // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM

We’ll go down in 19th place, we’re the second worst team in the premier league.
    I can’t see why anyone thinks we’re better than we are. A few decent players doesn’t make a team.

• 54 GeordieinOhio // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM

New’s just in………..Stevie Wonder just phoned McClustertard and said ” steve even I can see your tactics are SH@T!!”

• 55 Patoon // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I don’t even c any decent players ther, all shite but top of the list is sissoko, how can he even think psg would even look near him ffs

• 56 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:22 PM

I thought I saw some solidity in the back 4 against Stoke. I think Elliot must have been unsighted on the goal as he didn’t move at all. Shaquiri is a very good player. But there was no excuse for not making changes early in the second half and bringing on Perez and Doumbia early enough to make a difference. There’s no reasonable explanation for that.

• 57 Patoon // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Imagine we’d went fir Thomas tuchel last summer

• 58 santon3 // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:39 PM

fans should show full support to Ashley to do 1 thing, SACK THIS DUMB MANAGER!!!

fans, pundit , anyone involved with this club must show him that it is the right thing to do. Forget investing new players next season if there is next season, must invest in good manager.
    Even Mourinho got sacked and Hidink has done great job, I can’t imagine the pressure Hidink must have felt replacing a manager with high reputation.
    Sometimes change is needed even high profile manager such as Mourinho has been sacked and this dumb manager with this kind of results still keeping his job, it’s just wrong!

• 59 Ron Knee // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Anybody would do a better job than Pardew, Carver, McClaren. Charmless has a genius for proving us wrong.

• 60 thecaptain9 // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:42 PM

It was a breath of fresh air when he started his first press conference – no more of Pardew’s self serving drivel and poor grammar. I thought… ‘there is no way I would have chosen him to be our next manager, but wait a minute… This guy seems intelligent, witty and gives the air he knows what he’s talking about. Let’s give him a chance!’ I’m afraid that chance has massively passed. I understand we can’t expect instant success or to win every game – it will probable take a few years to build a squad that can even consistently challenge for the top eight in the league and do well in the cups. Even that’s with the right manager. There’s is no way we can do that from the championship! That is where we are headed. I’d have liked nothing better than to see Shteve be successful and prove his doubters wrong but something needs to be done now not in few weeks. MA must realise this.

• 61 Jib // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Sunderland to be deducted 7 points !

• 62 Lindisfarne // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Can we have a third option?

Shtevie to be put on gardening leave!

With Simpson as his ‘Go-for’.

• 63 nufconceandfuturekings // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Dr Ed, congratulations on your continuing good health.

Now, we all know that unless MA sells the club, nothing’s going to change. Any new coach/manager who did come in would, by default, be accepting the MA way of running Newcastle United. We need the change from the top down. The mediocrity is the worst aspect of this mess we’re in, a slow destruction of our beloved Toon by folk who, frankly, couldn’t care less about our club. There are, also, deeper issues about who owns football clubs, and the schism between fans and owners like MA, but I won’t labour the many points. MA came to our club, and applied his Sports Direct ethos to it; behold the result. It’s took him 8 years to send us down, the dedicated Spurs fan, but he’s finally done it. I am clinging on to a scrap of hope that we will survive relegation but whether we are or not, the fundamental problem remains.

• 64 toonking // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:53 PM

So 124 people still do want maclarean as manager, I imagine most those votes will be scum backs and trolls but it does include one NUFC fan and that fan is catchy in norway.

I can’t imagine macca getting the sack no matter how big a risk. Twice he’s proven to stick by a manager in bad spots already, pardew was around the entire europa league season and was kept as manager the following seasons. Charver himself was allowed to remain for the entire second half of the season despite his horrific run of defeats. In cashleys world we’re level on points with scums and norwich, we’ve got 33 more points available so what’s the worry?

lilo himself is still a common blogger he just posts in the early hours.

• 65 Jib // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Even before we went to La Manga I never had the Chelsea or Stoke games as anything but defeats .
    Because of that maybe I’m more sanguine than most .
    Even so , the flapping and hysteria in the last 20 hours is truly shocking , that’s social media internet for you , I guess.
    There is absolutely no chance of us being relegated.

• 66 toonking // Mar 3, 2016 at 6:55 PM

should have known it would be a random web page

• 67 Jib // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Two cracking footy matches tonight
    Agent Bruce taking Hull to his old club Birmingham City.
    In the Bundesliga Zwei Sankt Pauli v Braunschweig.
    Sankt Pauli the second team of that great city Hamburg have the greatest fans in Western Europe

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM

The bookies don’t seem to share your opion on us going down, although we’ve better odds than Norwich and the mackems. To say we’ve blgot no chance is plain ignorant, foolish and most probably both. Do you have lineage to Lord Cardigan?

• 69 jimmysmith // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Our form and points haul over the past 12 months suggests we most certainly will be relegated, but of course it’s very hard to accept the likelihood of it considering the players we have.

We lack a real goal threat, we are not consistently a cohesive unit and we lack genuine self belief and with Swansea winning, I’m afraid we are indeed in real trouble, because now it’s basically down to bottle and luck.

• 70 Jib // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Jail for Ashley

JfA you give thick tits a bad name

• 71 BandB // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM

We all know you have an itchy trigger.
    But you have the aim of a drunken greenhorn, and all these critters know that.
    So please resist the temptation to go for your gun and start shooting up the town again.
    You’ll only shoot your own foot off…again.
    Before being carted off to blog Boot Hill in a wooden waistcoat….again.

• 72 welshgeordie9 // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Bring Pardew back, much better than the clown we have got.

• 73 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Thanks toonking @64. What has he been saying? He usually has a more practical view than many of us and more experience of what really goes on within clubs. With our club I think there’s little doubt of the incompetence. And to spend the amount of money we have in the last 2 windows without improving is beyond belief. Sacking is too good for Charnley. He should be tarred and feathered and paraded around the ground along with his mate Ashley.

• 74 GeordieTwo // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:29 PM

But jimmysmith mate haven’t you been listening to McLaren? It’s all down to bad luck. Simple as that. We’re actually a splendid team playing wonderful football. There’s absolutely nothing to complain about. It’s all quite simple really……

• 75 Jib // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:29 PM

B and B
    Jail said in effect
    Jib the bookies disagree with you
    Then he said
    They think Norwich The scum and Villa will go down
    Save your waspishness for the blog dullards.

• 76 ozzietoon // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Fans need to force Ashley hand, get outside and protest with banners like we did over Keegan. ‘Mcclaren Out’ banners. Get down there now before its to late and we relegated with this idiot, playing mitrovic up front on his own is clearly not the way it’s not worked in 27 games, he’s clueless bringing in rivereri over Perez or doumbia and starting with goffran. Why are our away fans clapping them last night u should be booing and shouting sacked in the morning. Let it be known we won’t tolerate mcclaren being manager. 81 million spent more than whole of bundesliga, more than anyone in Europe, he’s got worst record than any other manager 27 games 7 wins, 7 away goals all season. If weed not banged 6 against Norwich weed have worst goal difference too. COME ON GET DOWN THERE PROTESTING ITS YOUR CLUB TAKE CONTROL!!!!!

• 77 toonluvva // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:30 PM

There can be no excusing McClarens awful record as our manager for all the reasons so well set out by Noahj @11.

However, that awfully nice Mr Charnley will be the person charged with finding the replacement. Does that thought fill you with any confidence – no? Thought not.

We need a root and branch change from top through to bottom. This might come once our future in the PL is settled.

• 78 toon22 // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Imho the fat man should offer José Mourinho 1 Million a game till the end of the season.
    Its obvious he aint going to stay but at least ,since we cant spend on players ,its a way of saving our obvious religation.
    In the summer he then needs to sack,kill or just send away Chanley and think about either selling up or getting someone who actually can run a modern football club.
    Whoever that person is can then look at our one and only Carr and beliberate his dealings with one agency and possible find us a new manager while hes at it.

• 79 Jib // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:34 PM

B and B is clearly watching a Western before trotting off to the hoosey

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Not saying YOU are thick but ignorant, you said there is no chance of us going down, the bookies think there is a very good chance of us going down hence the odds of 11/10, if there was no chance they’d have us on 500/1 like Everton and then be laughing all the way to the Leeds as people queued up to put small fortunes on it.

• 81 Rotonda heights // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM

what are these famed ”contraints” ashley puts managers under? players salaries and signings wise we are in the top 10 in terms of expenditure.

yes we buy players aged under 26 but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. the thing is, not knowing anything about football, ashley has let himself get surrounded by the most random and badly assembled group of people imaginable.

Imagine if charmless went to ash and said we need a top foreign coach, maybe ash would be amazed he had actually shown some initiative.

The constraints are emphasized by the failed low grade people ash has always employed. The excuses previously generated by AP are now in full blown stereo with SM and he really has nowhere to hide with the backing he’s had.

It’s not managerial constraints, it’s just continuous rank bad recruitment of woeful personel.

• 82 AncientC // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Jib is akin to one of those people that incorrectly tell you that Atheism is a belief system, whereas it is a lack of belief in the unproven.

Pay the tithes to Mash Holdings… this time in the desert will be rewarded with Manna from Heaven, any day now.

• 83 Rotonda heights // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:39 PM

we played stoke without their 2 best players shawlcross and Bojan and we had 1 or possibly 2 shots in 90+ mins. so cowardly.

• 84 jimmysmith // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Tony Benn claimed that politicians and leaders fall into 3 categories, “maddies, fixers and straight men”. I don’t see a maddie or fixer at the club at a time that we desperately need an injection of inspiration and application.

I can’t see where that grit and moments of brilliance will come from other than the players themselves when reality finally bites, ala Gutierez. Which really doesn’t sound a lot like making your own luck, more like riding it.

• 85 Rotonda heights // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM

what, so we can have another season coming 16th or be almost relegated like west ham or definitely relegated like charlton. SM being awful does not mean I want someone back who has not won once in 11 games.

• 86 AncientC // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:52 PM

If an insider from the club came out, stating that Pardew was asked to leave behind an operating manual, before receiving the ‘clubs’ blessing to move on… I am quite sure I would believe it.

Carver and now McClaren are showing very little difference in their succession attempts. I am not alluding to result patterns either. The Janmaat overlap, the switching of wingers, an isolated striker, the bipolar passing game one week – to hoofing it the next. Sissoko’s guaranteed starting spot… etc.

• 87 jimmysmith // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Energy! That Guttierez performance was so full of running. We too often plod and so too often are always second best. That’s the psychology engendered by Ashley and almost fifty trophy less seasons. We need a Keegan or a Robson, or a Shearer. A real leader and a talisman.

• 88 Back Door Man // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Mitrovic’s never really been given a chance to shine … week after week he’s been left on his own to rummage on scraps. We all know it’s a simple game but it’s being complicated by Wally the Johnny’s mysterious team selections and his confusing and rigid team tactics. I don’t accept for one minute that we lack players with the appropriate skill sets, I contend they are prevented from displaying them by having to follow Wally the Johnny’s orders.

• 89 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 3, 2016 at 7:59 PM

When is a belief system the same as a lack of belief system ?
    When it is “There is absolutely no chance of us being relegated.”

• 90 Mag52 // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:00 PM

I’m not one to jump on any ‘sack the manager’ bandwagon, but I do think the time is pretty close for us to have a last throw of the dice and get in someone who, as the yanks say, is prepared to ‘kick @ss’.
    The time IMO will come if we don’t do the double over Bournemouth at the weekend.
    A new manager often gets a few quick results, and that could just about be enough to keep us up.
    There is a lot of talent in the present squad, a lot more than we have had for some time. It just needs to be used in a better way, and a new guy could do that while at the same time get some of those talents playing with a bit more motivation.
    My worry is that a replacement for Macca hasn’t even been considered as yet by the clowns who run the club.

• 91 beermonkey // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:01 PM

with a new coaching set up why are things the same

• 92 Back Door Man // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Jimmy – you’re right to mention Jonás and that display during that final match. I know it’s an overused cliché to talk about ‘passion’ but that sort of determination has been missing for most of the season. Don’t those bast*rds realise what the Toon means to us?

• 93 Jail for Ashley // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM

You said it was failed managers talking about mythical restraints, considering all managers since KK’s court case have been put on strict gagging orders then it would be more pundits and journalists telling us about the constraints. I’d say being ordered to field weakened cup teams was a constraint as is going a year and a half without signing a player, having to play an average RM as a LB for quarter of a season because the LB we bought was injured and therefore cheaper could also be considered a constraint.

• 94 AncientC // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:09 PM

beermonkey – I would love to know that myself. Maybe the club profiled every manager they could find, looked for similarities to Pardew, then decided that McClaren was their man.

• 95 Sroka // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM

In all the doom and gloom this might raise a few smiles:

Convicted Range Rover owner Adam Johnson yesterday tweeted his relief that he will now be known more for his recent sex crime than his time playing for Sunderland.

“It’s really embarrassing and has damaged my reputation and good character”

• 96 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Ashleyyy iss goiinngg to loooooseeee alll hiisss monneeeeyyy tralalalalallall ala laaaaa. 🙂

Allllll his doing…laughable……unable to fire his pathetic team of cronies.

Championship is going to be tougher than ppl think…could fight for survival there too, very much so 🙂

Great days ahead 🙂

• 97 beermonkey // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:21 PM

look at the under 21s and the first team niether can buy a win
    i think club just has this losing mentality
    not sure how we change it either

• 98 Edd Case // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:27 PM

For me, the biggest problem at the club at the minute is that MA has in place a clear direction that managers are N OT allowed to chose players of their choice to sign.

Instead he’s employed the ‘transfer committee’ approach and trusted entirely Carr, who is a very poor judge of player – got lucky with a few but overall, the players he scouts are awful.

The club is being run is such a dreadfully poor manner but you have to assume that MA is world-record-breakingly arrogant as he seemingly won’t change this approach or the people doing all the damage…

His loyalty to staff will be his downfall – and ours..

• 99 the white tino // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Durham police confirm Sunderland football club knew about sexual contact between 15 year old and Johnson a year ago also numerous texts between the two!!! The FA will almost certainly get involved now with police confirming they knew about him kissing and texting kid, points deduction probs FA must act strongly on this

• 100 toontaff2 // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Surely they will deduct 15 points!

• 101 Essex Geordie Bill // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM

I’d be very surprised if Sland had points deducted for Johnsons crimes.

On a different note does anyone think the proposed legislation for media sites will effect commenters on the blog.

• 102 the white tino // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM

7 would do the trick

• 103 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM

But….BandB was saving her waspishness for the blog dullard.

• 104 toontaff2 // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:39 PM

A stain on SAFC, I read – or was that a stain on a SAFCshirt………….

• 105 Back Door Man // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Forget any points deduction from the mackemscum’s tally … they ain’t broken any FA or PL rules.

• 106 the white tino // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Playing a player who openly admitted to kissing and texting an underage fan is I would think very much a huge concern for the FA, not to punish club for knowingly playing a peado for nearly a year won’t go down well with a lot of organisations and sponsors

• 107 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 8:59 PM

We’ve had season tickets for a long time and my lads have been dedicated supporters for 25 years. They’ve had their heroes, seen some amazing games and stood in the bad weather when we’ve been useless ( bit like the1,800 who went to Stoke – we salute you ) . I asked about renewing the tickets for next season and the reply was ” not sure now, there’s no joy in it ”
    Damming indictment of Ashley and the motley crew now involved with the club.
    We’re not stupid – we know it’s a business , we know it’s our club but want it to try to be successful in both.
    I would like the grand kids to follow on as true supporters ( not just some tourists with tickets which is what so many clubs ( Man Ure for one ) have become.
    Can someone – anyone bring back the joy please.

• 108 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Get the American Billionaire Ross who’s in talks with the “bigger” clubs about the new Super League – maybe he can bring Klinnsman with him and then we get automatic entry into that new franchised global Competition.
    Toon v. Real Madrid under floodlights at St. James’s Park on a cold Friday ( the new Saturday ) night in December in front of 70,000 fans ( who’ve had a few bevvies beforehand ) and a global audience of millions.
    4-3 to toon.
    That’s ambition
    Ashley couldn’t even spell it.
    McLaren doesn’t know what it is.

• 109 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:02 PM

About Stephen Ross
    American businessman, Stephen M. Ross, has a net worth of $6 billion as of February 2016, according to Forbes. He is founder, chairman and CEO of The Related Companies, L.P., a New York City-based real estate firm. He owns 95% of the Miami Dolphins NFL football franchise and 95% of Sun Life Stadium. Ross made his fortune in real estate and has tried to spice up the Dolphins image by selling small minority shares to celebrities like Marc Anthony, Gloria Estefan and the Williams sisters.

• 110 toon22 // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Imho Safc have broken FA rules,as the nonce had told them he was involved with that girl.
    And by playing him they have brought the game into serious disrepute.
    I think they may act as to set an example of standards expected.
    As for Macca when we are religated do you think he will be able to get us straight back up?

No i dont think so either.

• 111 lesh // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Has McClaren not been sacked or removed from his role as HC yet?

What’s Charnley playing at? Or does Ashley want us relegated?

There’s a rabbit away somewhere!

• 112 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Dear Stephen Ross,
    This is not a Dear John letter, as your name is Stephen.
    And I don’t want to leave you -as there is an other who we want to leave first and his name is Mike.
    Perhaps you could help us to find a solution.
    Now I know that you’re over there and that we are over here but as the song goes
    ” over there, over there, send the word over there, that the yanks are coming , the yanks are coming ” etc
    If you could come over and spend a little of your 6 billion dollars on buying our field of dreams then that would be appreciated so very much.
    I return we would enter our club into your new World Club Championship, play a few away games in Miami and learn to say “hi ya all ” or in our case “why aye ya all “.
    Maybe you could bring some gum and stockings as treats for our bairns ( translation is kids ) and the missus as times are very difficult in the north of blighty and I don’t know if our supporters can hang on any longer.
    Anyway must stop now as the nice men from Wonga want to call in my loan and that could be bad for my knee caps.
    Much love
    A. Fan

• 113 lesh // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Did the FA take any action on the clubs that employed Ched Evans?

• 114 lesh // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Maybe you could alert the Chron to your story about your family’s feelings about the Club and their season tickets?

Seriously, I think the press’d love it and it brings the state of affairs at NUFC into the national spotlight.

• 115 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Sunderland top of the UK league for fat operations in hospitals.
    Sunderland top of the UK league for taking paracetomol.
    Sunderland the only place that organised a marathon and no one officially finished because they all got lost.
    And now they’ve got Adam Johnson.

By comparison we’ve only got Ashley, Penfold and McLaren .

• 116 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:29 PM

With the amount of money on the line for being in the Premier League next year, it needs to be achieved at all costs. If that’s enough incentive to ditch The Brolly Man and offer a top manager a wedge of money, then this would be pretty much the time for that to happen.

As slim as it may sound, it’s still probably the most likely time for it to occur if there ever was one.

Having said that, common sense is out of window with these muppets, as has been shown with the appointments of proven managerial failures.

If my car broke down each week after a long drive, the last thing I’m going to do is set out on another long journey in a car which has a history of packing in.

• 117 21st Century Schizoid Man // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:37 PM

I did not want Tufty or rate him as good enough for us.
    But I felt he would be an improvement on Pardew, and definitely better than Carver.
    In results terms he has been worse than both.
    In football style he has been marginally better than Pardew, more often than not.
    In team guts and determination, motivation and effort he has been dire yet our squad is better than 2015, though still has major weaknesses,
    Tactically he has been lucky at best, naive mostly, and clueless a fair bit of the time.
    In PR terms he started well but has deteriorated into meaningless drivel.
    We have had the worst start ever in the EPL.
    We have some of the worst away form in our existence .
    We have a dismal defence and it hasn’t improved in 5 years.
    We have exceptionally poor leadership on the field.

We could hardly do worse under a temporary manager. He has to go.

• 118 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Miami Dolphins NFL football franchise and 95% of Sun Life Stadium. Stephen Ross made his fortune in real estate and has tried to spice up the Dolphins image by selling small minority shares to celebrities like Marc Anthony, Gloria Estefan and the Williams sisters.

Mashley Porpoises Premier League Franchise and 100% of St. James’s Park made his dollar selling cheap sports merchandise and has tried to spice up his image by selling minority shares to Julius Caesar, Esther Rantzen and

A spokesman for Mashley holdings was reported to have said, ” et tu brute” ” sausages ” and “when someone is denying what they are, then that’s when things start to spiral down”

• 119 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Sports Direct relegated from the FTSE 100.
    Newcastle United in jeopardy of relegation from Premier League.
    Loan sharks sponsor football club.

Just how low can you get ?

• 120 John Akomfrah // Mar 3, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Is the ship being scuppered
    This Ashley is a devious devil

• 121 Mister Tuff // Mar 3, 2016 at 10:04 PM

BandB you have tried to caution against Two Gun Tex shooting from the hip at fellow bloggers. Let’s see what happens.
    In the meantime I can proudly reveal I have now refurbished my whacking cane – nice application of wood oil has done wonders and the cane is as whippy as ever, ready to cane certain jacksies – if the need arises.

• 122 lochinvar // Mar 3, 2016 at 10:05 PM

You could be right – it’s a crash for cash insurance scam

• 123 Harley // Mar 3, 2016 at 10:20 PM

It really boils my pish when I hear pundits or journalists calling the Newcastle fans delusional or unrealistic.
    Morons like souness telling us to calm down and stop the hysteria.
    We’ve been in the bottom 4 all season after spending 80 million and averaging 50,000 attendance.
    Not in 1 game have the fans turned on the manager, team or regime after suffering the worst displays this club has seen in years.
    We’re in the relegation zone with 11 games to go and don’t look like being able to buy a win at the minute.
    McLaren comes out smiling telling everyone not to panic????!!!!

Well here’s a thing. Let’s all start effing panicking!!!! Because at the moment we’re getting relegated with a team of internationals. A bit of panic seems to me like just what the club needs. From the board to the management to the players.

Screw this “let’s keep calm” philosophy. Let’s all panic and act like we’re in deep trouble and are seriously now one of the favourites to go down. Maybe that would be a good idea!!!!

Sack McLaren now. There’s 11 games to go, he’s taking us down. What have we got to lose. The guy has been a complete disaster.

And the fans have been right behind the team in every single game.

• 124 RonVanDam // Mar 3, 2016 at 10:44 PM

The board will keep backing this fool until he takes us down. Here is one clue why SM needs to go – the number of points acquired all season is less then the games played

• 125 archaeomag // Mar 3, 2016 at 10:56 PM

I see support for SM is growing – 4% – it was 3% earlier

a 1% surge in popularity !

• 126 Belfast // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Hold on let’s ask George Dawes what’s the scores ?

George drumoll 96-4

• 127 Belfast // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Record breaking poll this one.

• 128 archaeomag // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Surely there has never been a better time to build a Wicker Man on the Town Moor and give the board a traditional send off that will appease the Gods of Football.

• 129 Toon Tang // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Lets get it right eh people, Goufran and chuffing Rivierre are shite. I have no Idea what they do or have ever done except for warm the bench and occasionally running around and looking workhorsish.

And why oh bloody why do I keep hearing people say McClaren is an excellent coach? Can someone explain to me why and how he is a crap manager but a brilliant coach. Im struggling to grasp this concept.

• 130 Blofal // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Finally a decent article. Things are not as McLaren says they are…

• 131 Belfast // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Aye these stories usually always come out when the shit is hitting the fan.

• 132 Tsunki // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:12 PM

On the plus side, Mr McLaren still has his own teeth. That’s some sort of decent record that is.

• 133 Tsunki // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:15 PM

I’d love to know who’s doing that to that fan. it’s pretty low that is. I hope it’s not a proper fan that would be devastating.

• 134 Toon Tang // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Maybe the way he used his brolly in the rain during a footy match was revolutionary at the time so he’s known as a coach that really pushes the boundaries of coaching levels and can push the game into new areas with his crazy grin and use of brolly in the rain on rainy days at forty matches etc

• 135 Toon Tang // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:16 PM

He used that god damned brolly to perfection though so monolithic kudos goes out to him.

• 136 Toon Tang // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Whilst I’m on the subject, has anyone got footage of him opening it or maybe a couple slo-mo’s of him shaking it off and putting it away (ohh matron) so I can make up my own mind on whether he’s an excellent coach.

• 137 Toon Tang // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:21 PM

1.3 megapixels or even a grainy clip recorded on one of them potatoes that people are always banging on about

• 138 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:22 PM

It has been announced that McClaren is suffering from a strange medical condition whereby his head has started to grow up through his hair.

• 139 Tsunki // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Have we got enough money to get Steve that SatNav yet?

• 140 Tsunki // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:26 PM

“Mr allardyce how come you knew Johnson was a speedo and still played him?”

“You do know where we are in the league, don’t you? ”

• 141 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:27 PM

During McC’s recent visit to the barber, the barber said to him, “I’ve finished your hair sir , would you like anything on it?” He replied, ” Yes, a pair of knickers you’ve made me look a right cnut!”.

• 142 jimiley // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:38 PM

If we stay up and that is a 50/50 call at best, the plea will be for us to learn our lessons and never repeat such a season. Does anybody think anything will change with MA at the helm? The same gormless fans will turn up next season hoping for God knows what. It will happen again next season. I have seen more brains on a plate of mince.

• 143 Tsunki // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:40 PM

I think it’s time to set our watches for part two of the Mike Ashley Video Series.

• 144 bettyswallocks // Mar 3, 2016 at 11:57 PM

Apparently Steve’s recent visit to the barbers has caused a lot of controversy. Taunts from some of the back room staff of :- Are you suing them and It ll be alright when it’s finished have only served to inflame McClaren and make relations almost impossible .

• 145 SPRINGY // Mar 4, 2016 at 12:02 AM

so according to the news report….the team is playing shite, and have little or no respect for macca, and at least a few of his staff….his staff are in fighting about how best to train them and the french players are having private sessions to try and sort themselves out as they do not believe macca is good enough and cant believe he hasnt been sacked???…wtf is going on….not only embarrassing on the pitch but behind scenes even more then we realised….if that story is to be believed… one word……comical!

• 146 Back Door Man // Mar 4, 2016 at 2:29 AM

Tsunki @ 132 – I’m afraid Wally The Johnny doesn’t have all his own teeth – they’re veneers, implants and crowns;  about 25 grands worth of work.

the white tino @106 – I repeat, the mackemscum CANNOT have points deducted … they’ve broken no rules!  Any attempt by the FA/PL to do so would result in litigation which the scum WOULD win.  Yep, it’s a scandal what the scum did and they deserve the condemnation being heaped on them.

• 147 SPRINGY // Mar 4, 2016 at 2:46 AM

team for sat…
    plenty pace and movement

• 148 John Akomfrah // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:14 AM

Colback for saving not a surrender monkey in sight

• 149 John Akomfrah // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:15 AM

Saucer damned phone

• 150 John Akomfrah // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:16 AM

• 151 John Akomfrah // Mar 4, 2016 at 3:17 AM

• 152 Jail for Ashley // Mar 4, 2016 at 6:31 AM

So Mclaren has a history this season of one good result followed by a series of shite ones, Spurs and Lpool excepted, yet he is going to be allowed to try and get a good result against Bournemouth? ?? Wtf is Mike Ashley doing or playing at.

• 153 Ron Knee // Mar 4, 2016 at 6:53 AM

I suppose three things could happen if we’re beaten by Bournemouth:
    1) Ashley and Charmless do nothing, hoping that three teams do worse than us.
    2) Ashley steps in and fires McClaren.
    3) McClaren resigns.

• 154 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 4, 2016 at 7:00 AM

The change should have come during the 18 day break, particularly with the trip abroad on the cards. That would have given the new man a great opportunity to get to know his squad and staff during a time when they were essentially together without distraction for just shy of a week.

After Bournemouth there is a 9 day break, but there isn’t as significant an opportunity to immerse yourself in the role with players and staff. If the board are seriously considering binning him after Bournemouth (as some papers are reporting) then you really have to question why weren’t they just 1 game ago, when the timing was far more suitable. A further cock up.

Now, who to replace him with. I’ve seen most on here repeating the same names, Moyes, Rogers, Pearson etc. Even the odd name check for Mourinho. Benitez is probably the best option of those available, but again would be difficult to attract, even on a short term deal. A name I haven’t seen mentioned, although was talked about after Pards left is Lucien Favre.

Favre has a pretty good record as a manager, without ever really being given an opportunity at a top job. He has had success working with young players, and has a record of developing players. He is tactically astute. He likes to play an attack minded games and looks to transition from defence to attack quickly. His teams don’t have great possession stats, but they are effective and play with a high intensity. Not too dissimilar to Leicester.

Possibly one of the most important aspects though is that he has been dropped into far worse situations in the past, and has succeeded by getting the club out of trouble. When he joined Monchengladbach they were 7 points adrift of safety after 22 games, bottom of the table – 12 games remaining. He kept them up that season, and then in the following 4 years they finished in the top 8. He is currently unemployed having had a bad start to the season, and him resigning from his post.

He would likely relish the challenge of reviving Newcastle, just as he did at Gladbach.

Available. Check. Track record of working with younger players. Check. Saved clubs from relegation. Check.

• 155 Ron Knee // Mar 4, 2016 at 7:02 AM

Send a memo to Ashley asap!

• 156 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 4, 2016 at 7:08 AM

We have a great chance to stay up if we either change manager, or McClaren finally ditches his away tactics, and sets up the team in a manner that brings out the best from his players. Selecting his best team, and setting them up in a manner which allows them to play to their abilities.

It is entirely in our own hands. Bournemouth, Sunderland, Norwich, Palace, Villa, Swansea. Every other team in the bottom 7. That is potentially 18 points, just as importantly beating each is another 3 points that they can’t gain.

• 157 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 4, 2016 at 7:09 AM

If only it were that simple!

previous post: Alan Shearer Completely Debunks McClaren’s Reasoning

next post: Poll – Can Newcastle Beat Bournemouth On Saturday?