The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It´s An Honor To Captain This Football Club – But I´m Gutted

8:28 am, Friday, March 4th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

We thought Jonjo Shelvey did well as the Newcastle captain on Wednesday night and he was certainly one man who woke up when we went 1-0 down and tried to rally the Newcastle team as the game came alive in those last 10 minutes.

Jonjo almost created the chance for Seydou Doumbia to score in stoppage time, but Jack Butland made a very good save and Seydou showed he can can knock those balls into the goal and he took the chance so well – but it was just unlucky we didn´t score.

We should also add that Stoke hit the cross-bar late in the game and had another couple of breakaway chances after they had gone ahead.

Jonjo+Shelvey+Stoke+City+v+Newcastle+United+Mk7McgWALV9l

Jonjo Shelvey at end of the Stoke game – he doesn´t look happy

Shelvey looked like leadership material on the field and he is not shy in telling other players what to do – and that´s good.

This is what Jonjo Shelvey said on nufcTV after the game:

“I was gutted to lose my first game as captain.” “But it is an honor to captain this football club.”

“I have always been very vocal in the dressing room, but it is about showing people what I can do on the pitch.”

“It’s more about leading by example. I gave it a good go and hopefully I can get more opportunities.”

“Fingers crossed, and if Colo is injured, I will get it more often.” “We are obviously disappointed and the fans are disappointed but we can’t dwell on it.”

“We know we performed. If we carry on like that we will be fine.” “It’s a big game on Saturday and one we have to take three points from.”

“We have a great record at home.”

Those are good words from Shelvey although it wasn´t a great performance at the Britannia Stadium, but we did show more determination than at Chelsea.

However,  that Chelsea performance was an absolute disgrace to Newcastle United.

Shelvey will be Newcastle´s key man in tomorrow´s game against an in-from Bournemouth side, and we hope he can start passing the ball majestically all over the field.

We would also like to see Seydou Doumbia get some playing time – we have a feeling this man can get some important goals for us in the run-in – but he must be played.

A win is what we need tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Bournemouth?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Poll · Prayer · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Christ man Shelvey u didn’t perform, the team didn’t perform, we didn’t even go looking for a win. We carry on like that and we are going down

Don’t try feeding me s**t by calling it chocolate man, no one is buying anymore

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM

“We know we performed”

Did you John? If that is the case then non of you will look out of place travelling to Ashton Gate, Stadium MK or Griffin Park next season.

• 3 banjax // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:36 AM

We’ve all said ‘McLaren out’ so many times that we are all numb. To answer the dilemma posed in an earlier blog ie. lose on Saturday get rid of McLaren – win on Saturday keep McLaren – my answer would be the lose option. The lose option gives us a fighting chance of bringing in a Top Quality manager who will have the respect of the players and may even get us the odd away result we so badly need. If the Mail story is true, then to use the Dad’s Army analogy – we’re doomed. I can’t imagine the devastation of a McLaren manager ship in the Championship or maybe I can – relegation into the 1st division in the second year instead of promotion back to the premiership. Naturally all the good players who would have stayed on to rebound Newcastle back to the Premiership would leave with McLaren still in charge. So there we have it. Thus on balance it’s better to bite the Bournemouth – bullet and lose and have a chance of escaping relegation with ten games to go, than certain demotion under McLaren. All we would hope is that contingency plans have been made and Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley would be prepared to act and act fast.

• 4 DicBDownMalaysia // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:37 AM

I have voted for a win tomorrow. Not because I think we will outplay them, but because the pressure seems to be at breaking point for Mclaren, and I have a gut feeling that we will scrape a 1-0 win somehow, probably an own goal, and they have 1 or 2 disallowed by some dodgey refereeing, and then Mclaren is safe for another 10 games in the eyes of Charnley. Then the season is almost over so it wouldn’t make sense to sack him then. Im sure Shteve has gave Mclaren his ”word” that he is good enough to keep us up.

This club needs an earthquake to hit it so we can start to rebuild from the bottom right through the top.

• 5 DicBDownMalaysia // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:38 AM

P.S. I hope I am wrong, we get hammered, for the sake of the club, and Mac gets the Sack.

http://www.SackMac.com – does this exsist yet?

• 6 DicBDownMalaysia // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:41 AM

**Im sure Shteve has given CHARNLEY his word

Im turning into Ed, typing to fast….

Also just realised, after Bournemouth, there is only 10 games left… Oh well..

• 7 lochinvar // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:45 AM

ED previous blog topic
    96% Of Fans Want McClaren Fired – What Does Charnley Think?

He doesn’t – thats the problem

• 8 WWSBRD // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:45 AM

Have I missed something? Is 10 games no longer a quarter of the season?

• 9 toontaff2 // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Apparently the senior players believe schteve will be sacked if we lose- interesting to see if these players want him gone………….

• 10 MidlandsMag // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:51 AM

DicB @ 5

But then Ed might start calling us the SackMac crew

• 11 Rotonda heights // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Jail

When I said ” constraints” i was mainly referring to someone who has enjoyed 82M backing and a seat on the board.

Those kind of constraints most managers would be very happy with.

The previous incumbents were just equally poor managers.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:55 AM

midlands Mag

very good. old ed is as fickle as they come. The other day he was saying how he admired SM’s intelligence…lol!!!!

• 13 Rotonda heights // Mar 4, 2016 at 8:56 AM

the difference tomorrow is that bournemouth won’t just play for a point.

• 14 runheed // Mar 4, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Far from being decisive I think we are heading for a draw tomorrow. It’ll just extend the agony. You know, the fight or flight response, the club is frozen with fear. For the fans it really is like watching a car crash in slow motion. I’ve been a supporter since it went to the Jackie Milburn testimonial, I don’t think I can bear to watch any more…

• 15 AncientC // Mar 4, 2016 at 9:16 AM

2 wins in our last 10 games, and those were against West Ham and West Brom who barely turned up.

Here come Bournemouth who as normal will be like a Rottweiler straining off the leash. 4 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 games, no doubt hard done by to lose some of the other games in that 10.

previous post: 96% Of Fans Want McClaren Fired – What Does Charnley Think?

next post: McClaren’s Urgent Message To Newcastle Fans